15 years helping British businesses

Document Control Reviews

About Document Control

Take control of your laboratory's documents and procedure manuals. Help meet CAP, CLIA, Joint Commission, FDA, EPA, ISO 15189 regs.

Learn more about Document Control

Pros:

It is extremely easy to use and very cost effective. Easy to show that staff have reviewed since an email is sent to them each time a policy is edited.

Cons:

Also, I have problem giving permission to the Managers for biennial review of their department procedure manual.

Document Control ratings

4.1
4.5
4.3
4.5

8.9/10

Document Control has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 124 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Document Control before?

Bertrand
Bertrand
Laboratory Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

MediaLab is a great product for document control, it can be cumbersome to move around the documents.

Comments: inspection proofing for all of our inspections as well as the ability to hold and maintain numerous policies and procedures.

Pros:

I like that the software is able to maintain the hundreds of policies and procedures our hospital laboratory has to maintain. One of the best features is the CAP Inspection readiness, this has often kept us in line with what our inspectors are looking for.

Cons:

I dislike the clunkiness of the software, it can be cumbersome to move procedures around manuals, its difficult to remove from one manual and place in another. Linking procedures is often difficult and some times time consuming as well.

Zane
Chief, Hematology Lab Section in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy, Practical and Customizable Electronic Document Management System at a Great Value

Comments: We have been transitioning from an older system using word documents kept in a secure drive. MediaLab has offered the ability to collaborate on document revisions, securely track document changes, and feel more assured that only the most current version of each document is in use. We can also see at-a-glance what documents exist as approved, in-review or needing update and can see usage reports to know which are most valuable. Feedback from custom quiz success rates allows us to improve how documents (or quizzes) are written. The system also allows for remote access, which is essential to making it available wherever you are that has internet connectivity.

Pros:

MediaLab is an easy-to-learn and robust, yet simple-to-use and maintain electronic document management system. It simplifies the document control process and allows users a variety of paths to manage their laboratory documents, including policies, processes and procedures, forms references and much more. The user interface is intuitive, and allows users to quickly access the information that they need through searchable documents. The software keeps track of previous document versions and actions, optionally allows the printing of controlled copies and makes document approval and review a snap. There is also an option to generate customizable quizzes that can be used to verify personnel have read the salient points of each new or revised document and this can double in its use as a part of competency assessment. Site management is also intuitive and comes with extensive accessible help for those with minimal background in website management. The downloadable back-ups are invaluable. The customer service has been outstanding! If you need an easy-to-use, practical and customizable electronic document management system at a great value, I highly recommend this product.

Cons:

Nothing! If I had one wish for this product, it would be to expand its functionality with portable tablet devices. That could make it even easier to keep at the testing bench.

Peter
General Manager in France
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

I couldn't get professional looking documents.

Pros:

Customer support does not leave their users alone, they are concerned with their users.

Cons:

Ul is very confusing. Resolution drops in documents.

Christine
Sr QA Specialist in US
Medical Devices, 201–500 Employees

MediaLab is easy to use & contacting MediaLab personnel is simple. It lacks additional functionality

Comments: Benefits include ability to easily pull reports, make changes quickly, assign training and enter documents for training without problems, and navigating the system with ease. However, because we are using the system for training only, it has its limitations.

Pros:

Note: Our company uses MediaLab for training only, not document control - Easy navigation of system (straightforward on how to train on documents) - Easy to input information (personnel information, documents) - Customer response is quick - Having the functionality to assign Group Supervisors and assign special employee signoffs - Great traceability within the system (change history for users and for permission changes)

Cons:

Note: Our company uses MediaLab for training only, not document control - Unable to customize reports (would like to pull reports within specific dates (not full list), list of personnel with their assigned manuals) -Unable to customize due dates for Performing Employee signoff (we have different requirements for PE - Assigned dates are incorrect (since we are using the software for training only, it has been problematic that when a document with a minor revision is signed off, the assigned date is changed to the signoff date - our metrics for training compliance is signoff date minus assigned date so we have inaccuracies in our data)

Kris
Quality Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Very satisfied user!

Comments: I have used several Document Management systems. This is by far the easiest to use. I meets all our regulatory requirements. The support in both setting up the system and ongoing has been wonderful. Any requests have been quickly dealt with. Also, they are very open to suggested changes. We have been so pleased with the Document Management system and are now adding on additional programs, such as Compass and Inspection Proof

Pros:

You really can't make a mistake in using the system. I particularly like that you can assign users to review the documents and track their usage. Also, it's very easy to send comments back and for to users, for example if a change is requested or a typo is noted. We have staff that are not the best at using computers and this program has been very easy for them to use. We feel that for the first time that our documents are usable, accurate and great tool to train our staff to.

Cons:

No Cons at all. Just recommend taking the time to write and format your documents prior to checking them into the system. This will make the process much smoother.

Heather
Heather
Quality Assurance Manager in US
Biotechnology, 11–50 Employees

We are a small to medium business, and this solution fits our needs perfectly.

Comments: MediaLab Document Control allows EyeKor the flexibility it needs for reviewing, approving, assigning, tracking, approving controlled documents. It fits seamlessly within our existing systems.

Pros:

This is an affordable, versatile solution, that aids in keeping all training documentation in compliance. EyeKor uses it to approve training documentation, SOPs, and manage project specific training. It manages all sizes of groups that needs training with easy and the needed flexibility for our company.

Cons:

Sometimes there are too many ways to do things, or options to do things are buried too deep. I do not like that I can not require training on minor versions of documents. Many documents I receive externally, I cannot determine how they number, and then numbering on the document does not match the MediaLab number.

Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

I utilize MediaLab's Document Control software at my laboratory to ensure compliance with CAP regs.

Comments: It ensures compliance with industry standard practices and regulations.

Pros:

The ease of use and comprehensive approach it takes to document control makes the software easy to use and easy to stay in compliance. We also use its sign off features for our off-site Laboratory Director to sign and approve documents quickly.

Cons:

I wish the software allowed digital signatures to be applied to uploaded documents rather than just the summary sheet.

Lee
Lee
Laboratory Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

5 x implementer of MediaLab in the US

Comments: I have nothing but superb interactions and an even better experience with Medialab

Pros:

Medialab Inc. is a robust and easy to implement product that helps immensely with compliance and competency. It has become an invaluable tool in the labs I have managed.

Cons:

The only down fall is the like of a fully functional mobile app, this would help in the transition to tablets or ipads in the lab.

Deean
Deean
Analyst in US

BEST THING EVER!

Comments: As the site administrator for our laboratory, this has been the best thing ever to be able to organize and control all of our documents.

Pros:

Easy to use and understand. Employees find it easy, too.

Cons:

There is nothing about this MediaLab Document control product I'm unhappy with.

Theresa
Theresa
Director, Cytogenetics Laboratory in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

My opinion on medialab experience

Comments: I have had good help from the company, but I think a couple of days with one of one together at your lab/site would be much more helpful for a small lab like I have.

Pros:

I like that it is a good system for the price and aids in regulatory requirements for doc control

Cons:

I am learning this system on my own and don't have a lot of time to devote to it and learn it all in one sitting. It is not as simple to set up as I thought it would be.

Kendra
Mgr Lab QA and RM in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Makes meeting CAP standards easy

Comments: easier CAP inspections

Pros:

Ability to manage all lab documents, obtain electronic approvals, obtain electronic employee sign offs, maintain archived/retired documents, reminder for overdue policies, streamlines process for managing p/p for larger multi-hospital system

Cons:

it's not interfaced with out HR solution to sync passwords and usernames with what is used for all other systems we use.

Terry
Blood Bank Section Head in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

Very useful once you figure it out.

Comments: I really gives new employees easy access to procedures.

Pros:

Great for inspections and documentation. We allow inspectors to look at the manuals. Inspection proof is also a very good product. It minimizes the time they have to search for documents.

Cons:

Not the easiest software to navigate. The learning curve in my case was not to steep! Some changes to the icons might be helpful especially for us old dudes.....

Simone
Lab manager in US

Great for inspections

Pros:

The inspection module for CAP inspections. It's great that we can answer all the checklist questions, link sops and supporting documents. Also it's great that we can upload the answer to previous inspections.

Cons:

Process is time consuming, editing a document can take a while. Wish the emails for updating was better structured.

Laboratory System Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

Lab Procedures and Policy Tracking made "EASY"

Comments: With document control (if done correctly), our laboratory team can evaluate documents quickly and could identify concerns that could be used to improve the laboratory.

Pros:

We enjoy the way it tracks and monitors the review and approval of documents. The flexibility of how documents can be organized. The ability to store all types of documents that could be useful for CAP Self-Inspections and CAP Inspections (Inspection Proof). We also like how the system can be used to collaborate between staff members on policies or procedures prior to sending them for approval.

Cons:

The challenge was probably the initial setup. However, we were provided with good resources to help accomplish it.

Crystal
POCC in US

Easy

Comments: a one stop shop for all things competency

Pros:

Very easy system to use, customer support has helped tremendously. I appreciate the quick feedback when an issue has arisen.

Cons:

I really do not have any cons about the software. I guess I wish that you could bridge the gap between compass being used for POC and general lab.

Bridget
Quality Assurance Analyst in US

Great system! Very user friendly and intuitive.

Comments: Made my life 1 million times easier!

Pros:

Very easy to use and requires very little instruction for new users. Workflows are quick to set up and easy to follow. Applying quizzes for revision changes. Very easy to link related or dependent documents together.

Cons:

No table of contents for large documents, would be nice to have a ToC that functioned as a navigator to jump to specific section in a document. Too many windows to click through for some options.

Richello
Sr Document Control Specialist in US

The interface is fairly easy to use, and the response time is quick.

Pros:

I find the search function to be incredibly accurate and helpful. Uploading new and revised documents is easy.

Cons:

Lack of customization for reports. It would be nice if we were to be able to sort / rearrange the the document list when viewing user sign off for training.

Lab Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Great for getting CAP compliant

Comments: Learning curve is there, but unavoidable. Features are improving with user input. Great support team.

Pros:

Provides for getting all documents in order and retrievable. Support is great and solved problems. Inspection proof allowed us to get through last 2 inspections in great shape.

Cons:

Initial document entry and conversion from paper to electronic formats was a bit painful, though I expect unavoidable.

Hema
Director in US

Best Software for Laboratory Documents

Comments: I would recommend all laboratories to have MediaLab as their document control software

Pros:

Automated tracking and history keeping feature

Cons:

Nothing really - It is excellent, except not having complete electronic manual on available on the site.

Randi
Medical Technologist II in US
Hospital & Health Care

Overall has been useful/fairly simple to use but sometimes locating what you need is a bit difficult

Comments: Standardization of documents and good for preparation of inspections (JC, CAP etc..)

Pros:

procedures organized easily searchable changes/signoffs easily tracked the quick links to things that are needed to be completed/addressed

Cons:

as an admin it is difficult sometimes to find the task you need (print, assign, upload, ask for a sign off etc...) and you may not have access to a certain task and not realize it. it has been mentioned that the alerts are sometimes confusing to users about what exactly it is that needs to be completed.

Rafael
QC technician in US

media is ok. its gets the job done.

Comments: ease of use

Pros:

The software is user friendly and easy to navigate through. Its also very straight forward for new users. I personally like that alerts it sends out to remind employees of pending assignments

Cons:

I feel that the software is slow.The software takes a while to search for documents and employees . i think the search feature needs to be updated its hard to find certain SOPs , manuals, and other documents at a reasonable speed.

mark
Admin Director of Ancillary Services in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent product for the money. Saves countless managerial hours

Comments: Time savings and peace of mind with regulatory compliance

Pros:

Easy to train. Reminders are fabulous. Can assign responsibilities. Can link documents and also link policies/procedures to our regulatory requirements. All electronic

Cons:

Does take a few hours of using MediaLab to get comfortable with the software. The constant barrage of e-mail messages is almost too much. Would prefer a weekly or monthly message, especially with back up reminders.

Mary Alice
Mary Alice
Health Coach Training Specialist in US
, 501–1,000 Employees

Admin and create courses for health care company

Comments: one-stop administering of courses.

Pros:

It is easy to create custom courses and assign courses to anyone, anywhere. I love the availability to reach our ambassadors via email to let them know they have new courses and have one place to admin their yearly competencies.

Cons:

The sub-administrators have difficulty navigating admin functions, as they are assigned per course.

Aaron
MLS in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

Excellent choice for compliance!

Comments: We use document control for all of our document sign offs. It keeps everything in one place and keeps us organized. I love it!

Pros:

I love how it helps us prepare for JCAHO. Our Medical Director has easy access to everything from IQCP, Policy and Procedures, Linearity and more. Easily traceable for inspections.

Cons:

Some things aren't easily apparent in the ways they connect.

Joe
Hematology Lead Tech in US

Good Product - Easy to Learn

Pros:

The ease of use. Editing current documents or adding new documents is pretty straight forward. As a Team Lead being able to see the sign-off status of users is a also a plus.

Cons:

I wish you could open some items in a separate window - like having the parent document and a related attachment open at the same time.