• Overall

About uLawPractice

A cloud based, integrated practice management, accounting, trust accounting system accessible anywhere, anytime from any device.

Learn more about uLawPractice

Product Rating

Product Rating

Countries

Countries

Usage

Sort by

Have you used uLawPractice before?

Damian W.
Litigation Paralegal in Canada

Damian's review

3 3 months ago

Comments: Pretty good

Pros:

The bookkeeping services and customer support

Cons:

Needs more user friendly features and less steps to execute certain things

Elie L.
Law Practice, Self Employed

Great product for beginners and experts

5 4 months ago

Pros:

Great product for what you pay for. Technical support is always very friendly and help is immediate. There is a full YouTube channel with hundreds of videos to answer absolutely any question you have under the sun. Once you get familiar with it, the YouTube tutorials will save you.

Cons:

Nothing really. The forms couldn't be customized at first but now they can, that was a big issue for me. Being able to upload and dow load my own forms.

Ian W.
Used the Software for: Not provided

ULaw - A cost-effective Canadian practice management software that gets the job done.

4 5 years ago

Comments: I have been in private practice as a paralegal since 1992 but have only been using ULaw for the last four years. For years I had used QuickBooks but it was the document generation feature in ULaw that first caught my attention. This was not something I could find in any other practice management software at that price point. This feature alone has saved me enough time in legal document production to make it more than worth the price. Originally only Small Claims Court documents were available but they have been introducing new areas on a regular basis. It is clear that the ULaw team works hard to make their product better. I have occasionally considered other practice management software but every time I have ULaw has introduced a new feature that keeps me onboard. These include features like the Dashboard, Quick View, Analytics & even Calendar & Document Vault sync, to name a few. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with the new features. Perhaps most importantly, ULaw is structured to enable compliance with the Law Society requirements as outlined in the LSUC rules of practice. From the client intake documents to the required financial reporting, ULaw does this 'in the background' so to speak so that any practitioner can focus on the actual work instead of being bogged down in regulation compliance. It should be made clear however that ULaw is a database 'program' and so not as intuitive as some of the spreadsheet-based programs. Also, errors cannot be simply deleted but additional correcting entries are required. That is the nature of a database. A further area of potential improvement is that while it is now possible to launch an email from a Contact in ULaw the software doesn't keep track of client emails like it does for documents. Overall perhaps the best feature of ULaw is not the software itself but the team behind the product. I have found their service team to be quick to respond and their development team repeatedly reaches out to their clients for ideas and feedback.
No software is perfect or does everything you might want but dollar for dollar I consider ULaw to really punch above its weight class. I would recommend this for any paralegal office and indeed it is the software that I use for my private practice and my partnerships.

Dwayne H.

Overall Product Quality

5 5 years ago

Comments: I just want to say, your product is amazing! I just completed my full practice audit by the Law Society and it was very helpful in it's ability to bring up the required documents on request and completed fully to their standard. The ease in which it does this was extremely helpful and saved the associated stress that goes with having to have all compliance documents at hand. I don't think I could have done it without your product. Without a doubt it is the best value for money spent in my practice.
Thank you.
Dwayne Huxted
Legaleze Paralegal

Pros:

Ease of use.

Cons:

A little clunky

Rachel C.
Office Manager, Legal Assistant in Canada

Ulaw

4 3 years ago

Comments: They have been very reactive and very helpful when we needed assistance.

Pros:

Ease of use. Internet based data accessible anywhere

Cons:

The billable / trust info on the MATTER screen is confusing. (However, they have improved that by adding the Trust button). The set up of accounts can be confusing to clients.

Teresa H.

Outstanding

5 5 years ago

Comments: At anytime, if I am stuck or having difficulty, Ulaw is an immediate phone call away. I always receive fast and effective service.
In addition, when I was preparing for my practice review, I received valuable feedback and knowledgable quidance for
Forms to prepare and print.

Pros:

Easy to navigate

Roger D.
Used the Software for: Not provided

Advantages over other practice management platforms.

5 5 years ago

Comments: 1. No upfront costs
2. Low monthly payments
3. EXCELLENT customer support
4. Always willing to incorporate new ideas into the product
5. Great functionality with ever improving features
6. Trial account for learning
7. Student discounts
8. Webinars for training
9. Archived webinars ( tutorials)

Rosa C.

Ulaw is a lifesaver

5 4 months ago

Comments: The customer service has a great team and are always there and willing to assist.

Pros:

I don't like the product ..I love Ulaw. It is so easy to use and there are so many options if I did have any issues and is affordable. Billing/invoicing and tracking expenses has never been so easy. There response time is impeccable, not only to they respond with an answer they will send you a link to watch a video to guide you. The Ulaw set up is so affordable and a life saver. They will be there for you. Their bookkeeping services are great!

Cons:

There is nothing I do not like about this software.

Martin C.
Owner/Paralegal in Canada
Legal Services, Self Employed

Improving the business of a legal practice

5 4 months ago

Comments: I have been able to create amazing, time saving templates that automatically populate. I have also made great use of the incredible customer service that makes you feel like you are their most important client.

Pros:

I am a new Paralegal and I work from home in my own practice. I needed software that kept me compliant with LSO requirements, of which there are many. I also needed a tickler system and an accounting system and uLawPractice was the whole ball of wax rolled into one at an affordable price. Starting a new firm is difficult and challenging. This program took a big weight off my shoulders. Customer service is the best I have ever had as well.

Cons:

I found the accounting portion of the program has the largest learning curve due to my inexperience with accounting. I found many of the screens descriptions less than helpful and was left wondering why they weren't worded for those that aren't accountants.

Peter R.
Paralegal/Owner in Canada
Legal Services, Self Employed

Very positive. It has many useful features and customer support is always ready to help.

5 4 years ago

Comments: It helps me with my tracking of clients and allows to track the progress of a case. Also it helps me keep track of upcoming dates, invoicing and contact information. I rely heavily on ulaw for all of this information and it has been a tremendous help. I like how it gave me all the information I needed for the auditor. The dashboard feature is helpful and quick view which helps give me reminders on what's coming up. I am able to produce invoices for clients that not only show the time and dates, but enter what I was doing during the time. I was complimented by the law society of upper Canada auditor for that, which is a team effort by ulaw staff and I. I would very much recommend it to a colleague and find it a fun system and quite user friendly. I cannot say enough about the support staff who are always there. I work odd hours and it's vital having what seems to be round the clock support if I run into a jam.

Pros:

Easy invoicing and the statements of activity that help me keep track of a file's progress. I find that this enables to keep track of a case and who owes me money. I also like that it breaks down where I am spending the most time on each case and my contact with any particular client. Overall, very good. I also like the option of the free webinars, which help me save money. That is vital for a small business and sole owner.

Cons:

Some of the features are a little confusing, but you get used to them. And again customer support is always there to help. And although I like the option of the webinars I feel that sometimes the instructors jump around and talk too fast. I am hard of hearing and sometimes find it hard to follow when they do so. I would also like a little more flexibility when it comes to the retainer. I do not operate a trust account for example, a retainer reflecting that would be helpful. All minor issues and 1 more, just to keep an eye on the typos which tend to come up. A lawyer or a paralegal sending out such letters may be viewed as incompetent.

Ram S.
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees

Easy to use; versatile and importantly, mobile. I have been using this for almost 18 months now.

5 4 years ago

Comments: I use it all the time for my work... from office, at court and at home.

Pros:

Excellent feedback and help when requested. Easy to use for a non-technical person like me. Easily navigable; well presented; easy to enter data and information. Importantly, being mobile, I can use it anywhere on the go. I am not rooted to a main office.

Cons:

Nothing really. I looked for a mobile platform when purchasing an accounting program for lawyers and I was scared of getting stuck with the generally traditionally large software programs in a set office. I found u law and have recommended it to many colleagues without hesitation.

Wendy H.
Licensed Paralegal in Canada

Helpful software

5 4 months ago

Comments: It's a great software and helpful for our practice.

Pros:

Ulaw portal provide accessable portal to docket our time, generate forms, and manage our accounting document, which is convinient and efficient.

Cons:

The only issue I don't use the accounting part is that I can't mitigate the previous record into the system.

Nermine A.
Barrister & Solicitor in Canada

Life Saver!

5 4 years ago

Comments: If you do not have an accounting background, it can take a little time to understand it. However, once you understand it, it is intuitive, and there is plenty of support to assist you along the way.

Pros:

When I opened my practice, I did A LOT of research about software. I wanted software that would not only support client management, but also something to manage the accounting side of things. Lastly, I wanted to find something that was on the cloud so that I can access the software from any computer and from any location and not worry about computer crashes and the possibility of losing any information. This was the only software that met every one of those needs. The best thing of all is that they know the law society rules for compliance and have made it extraordinarily simply to live up to those rules. I am not worried about LSUC audits.

Shellie A.

Ulaw review

5 4 months ago

Comments: It has been very positive

Pros:

The case management integration with accounting.

Cons:

I make mistakes and they are not always the easiest to fix.

Karim B.
CEO in Canada

uLaw Practice management software

4 5 years ago

Comments: There are many features that comes with the software (some of them I haven't even used yet) and it makes it easy to navigate the basics.

Pros:

Ease of use and the ability to log in from anywhere.

Cons:

No app for iphone

Winnie L.
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees

Produces LSUC Spot Audit Reports and Client Compliance Docs!

4 5 years ago

Comments: It is the best compliant product out there for a new sole practitioner on a budget.
The spot audit reports are in the same format as illustrated in LSUC guidelines.
Compliance documents are handsome - the invoices have themes to choose from!
All reports / documents are produced with minimal clicks - very little manual entry and no more cutting / pasting.

Pros:

Saves time. Reports/documents are attractive.

Cons:

Software needs to be streamlined for real estate files (ie, auto-input list of standard fees/disbursements). Many sole practitioners practice real estate for low fees. Administration/compliance/banking requirements on real estate files are very laborious.

Tina L.
Principal Lawyer in Canada

Support to help ease my learning curse was phenomenal, and the software is user friendly. Excellent.

4 4 years ago

Pros:

It is user friendly, support is great, easy to use and track even for someone with virtually no accounting or bookkeeping background. As a principal lawyer of my law firm, I can do bookkeeping myself, or train my assistant to do it, easily.

Cons:

Can't enter time via mobile app as yet, and the mobile app is volatile. However, most of my entries are done with other documents so I'm usually on a computer anyway.

Superfluid Software Response

3 years ago

We now have your con addressed Mobile app can now import time even from a phone call in Android. Please see these features https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8unY9zStJ-yzx4zyZ_1-q8RkXBZ6SKNP or https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8unY9zStJ-w7nbe0pOeVq16qCThwBzzC

Stefan D.

uLaw

5 last year

Comments: My overall experience with uLaw has been terrific.

Pros:

The best part about the software is the customer support. The support team usually responds the same day to a request for help. They usually send very helpful videos in response to your request for help. Also, when necessary, they assist you over the phone and talk you through your problem.

Cons:

I would recommend changing how dockets are displayed when an invoice is created or a report is created. It should have the start time and end time. Currently, it just has the start time and the duration of the docket.

David G.
Used the Software for: Not provided

uLaw saves me crucial time in vital record-keeping and accurate invoice generation.

4 6 years ago

Comments: uLaw is a cost-efficient alternative to other systems that is compliant with Law Society
By-Laws and is a solution that provides all of the functionality I need. It is also mobile.
I have immediately saved on comparative software subscription fees. All accounting and invoicing software should save time, but the relative simplicity of uLaw and its product support team have made my using it a quick-start and a continuing pleasure to use Features of uLaw such as automatic receipt generation, speedy and simple invoicing, as wel l as court form generations, are good examples of that. uLaw also allows me to export data in spreadsheet form, which I can then process to update other required ledgers. In my experience and through my research, I have not found a better product for the price. Additional ly, uLaw' s development team is consistently willing to upgrade and does upgrade the product in line with Law Society requirements, emerging business trends and with best business practice in mind.

David L.

My uLaw Experience

5 5 years ago

Comments: uLaw is the first legal accounting program that I have ever found to be convenient to use. It is accurate and intuitive. The designers of the program go out of their way to answer calls and make changes to the program for clients. It is also approved for use by the LSUC. DL.

Ian M.
Lawyer in US

Complete practice managment

4 3 months ago

Comments: This has been the easiest way I have found to manage my pracitce.

Pros:

uLaw is quick to learn and leads you step by step through practice management.

Cons:

My least favourite thing about uLaw is that the calendar takes a little time to load.

Lori anne T.
Lawyer/Principal Owner in Canada
Legal Services, Self Employed

Great web-based alternative to PC Law!

5 4 years ago

Comments: Able to work on my files and accounting from anywhere.

Pros:

I like that it is web-based. It combines all of the functions needed for a law firm practice, including criminal and family. I like the function that allows me to import my banking information. It is helpful to switch between client matters and accounting. The customer service is extremely responsive and you don't have to pay extra for their support. They have altered areas that need improvement.

Cons:

I wish it had more functionality with iPhones. It would be helpful to automatically allow update of monthly expenses (parking). Entering in expenses is some cumbersome, but detailed. Cannot delete default items (such as tenant or contract legal work) or contacts or matters that were entered in error. Makes it cluttered and annoying to search.

Prem N.
Licensed Paralegal in Canada

Daily Bread for me.

5 2 years ago

Pros:

The customer support I get 24x7 and the very courteous support staff. It's only a question of getting used to the software and that leads to knowing where to book what and finding each tab. I think this is a boon for a Paralegal like me as I enjoy using both the desktop version and the mobile app. very much. The convenience uLaw gives me is something one has to use and experience. Not to forget the weekly webinars they provide that also doubles up as CPD hours. Now they have also started providing accounting help too. Definitely recommend!

Cons:

Some of the forms need to be updated. Size of fonts when we open calendar.

Amanda R.
Paralegal/Owner in Canada

Absolutely Necessary for All Legal Practitioners

5 2 years ago

Comments: Amazing. Have been using it for years and highly recommend it. I have used PCLaw and Clio in the past and ULaw is the best cloud based software to manage client files and bookkeeping all in one.

Pros:

It is LSO complaint and easy to use. I love that I do not need a bookkeeper and can view my business on a regular basis through Ulaw insights.

Cons:

Error messages occurring after trying to save dockets.

Adrienne N.
Partner in Canada

Using uLaw for the past 2 years

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Takes away the headache and pain of LSO compliance; deals with both practice management and accounting all in one platform for a fantastic price.

Cons:

The user interface is not the most intuitive or user-friendly. However, whenever I can't figure out how to do something, customer service is always extremely responsive and all the ball.