About Unitrends Backup

If managing backups is just one of your countless responsibilities in IT, then consider Unitrends Backup for all-in-one ease-of-use.

Learn more about Unitrends Backup

Pros:

The interface is very easy to use you can find every option in a simple screen. You don't have to go to different places to set up a backup.

Cons:

It can struggle with large(7+TB) data sets, but then what doesn't.

Unitrends Backup ratings

4.0
4.5
4.5
4.1

8.3/10

Unitrends Backup has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 31 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Unitrends Backup before?

Yuri M.
Yuri M.
IT Infrastructure Specialist in Honduras
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Unitrends its a enterprise feature backup solution with ease of use and quick implementation

5 2 years ago

Comments: We love the product because it give us less time to restore in case of the emergency and also the learning curve is quick. The reports are also very informative so we can know exactly what is happening with the backups and make sure we can restore in case we needed.

Pros:

I like the fact that it integrates very easy with a vmware virtual enviroment. Before Unitrends we had other backup solution but it did not give us the flexibility that we needed. With Unitrends we can stablish different policies base on the criticallity of the application or important to the business. We have different enviroments and we don't have to use other products. The restore is fast and if you have a secondary site, you can have disaster recovery scenarios were within minutes you will have the service up and running.

Cons:

Well, I think that there is not a but thing about the Unitrends software. Maybe when you are scaling the solution, you will have to keep growing with more appliance and I think it is not that good for a small company size

Lee F.
Network Systems Analyst in US
Law Enforcement, 1,001-5,000 Employees

A Good Solution

4 2 years ago

Comments: It is a solid offering at a much better price than some rather well-known alternatives. Service is superb.

Pros:

I like the tie to my storage, and how easy it backs up and restores medium to small size vm's. Support has been great.

Cons:

Oracle appears to be the red headed stepchild. No Oracle RAC support. It can struggle with large(7+TB) data sets, but then what doesn't?

Alternatives Considered: CrashPlan and Rubrik

Reasons for Choosing Unitrends Backup: Cost was huge, but Commvault support had also fallen off of the map.

Reasons for Switching to Unitrends Backup: Cost was our largest concern followed by features/capabilities.

Chris B.
Director in UK
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

Very slow and very poor compression

3 8 months ago

Comments: As we only have a relatively small setup I used the free edition available through Spiceworks (now withdrawn). I had a problem initially getting it configured to use a NAS as the backup destination but despite it being a free edition their support resolved the issue and I was then able to use it reasonably reliably for several years. Occasionally it would simply stop backing up for no apparent reason but never emailed to say the backup failed; it just stopped working altogether so sometimes it took several days before we realised the daily backup emails had stopped and we could then go in and reset the Unitrends VM which brought it back to life. The upgrades were generally easy to do, just click an upgrade link and wait until it finished, however the last time I did this it completely corrupted the VM making it unbootable. We then installed the latest version from scratch but again hit the prblem of it not backing up to the NAS. Unfortunately this time their support were very unhelpful refusing to give any support or advice unless I paid for a ridiculously expensive annual support contract. That caused us to look at competing products and we settled on Nakivo which is MUCH faster to do the full and incremental backups as well as having vastly superior compression so we can keep more backup history. I've not found anything that I used on Unitrends that's not easier and quicker to do with Nakivo and I paid less than the annual support cost for Unitrends! No brainer :-)

Pros:

I used Unitrends for several years and found it reasonably reliable after an initial problem with configuration that was solved by their helpdesk. It was quite easy to restore whole VMs or individual files using the virtual mount option.

Cons:

An overly complicated interface that was not at all intuitive. It does not like backing up to NAS systems. Very poor support.

Greg L.
Sr Systems Administrator in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees

Reliable, functional and easy

5 2 years ago

Comments: Needed to replace two old backup solutions, one that handled virtual, the other handled physical servers. Unitrends allowed us to consolidate our backups to one solution that has been supremely reliable

Pros:

The reliability of the backups and how easy any issues have been to resolve. I also appreciate that the appliances are self-contained. No extra servers or overhead to worry about

Cons:

Some issues do require contacting Unitrends support. Good part is that their support is the best I've experienced. Prompt responses and quick and easy resolutions

Sr Director in US
Biotechnology, 10,000+ Employees

simple to configure and get started

5 3 years ago

Comments: Very good experience as the vendor staff go overboard to ensure that we are comfortable operating the product and are just a phone call away. They call you almost once every day to follow up with you if there are any issues.

Pros:

The simplicity involved in configuring the product and getting started is the best part. Backing up and restoring can't be simpler than this and has been really easy for us with this product. If one is looking for a simple back up solution at a very affordable price, this product is the one to go for.

Cons:

Although, the solution is simple per-se, it takes a little bit of time to get used to the desktop interfaces in the product - there is a little bit of learning as with other similar products in terms of getting used to the steps. Also, at times, machines with bigger CPU's took much longer to back up than normal.

Chris C.
IT in US
Government Relations, 51-200 Employees

Love this backup product

5 5 years ago

Comments: Had to recover VM's to a certain point. Full system restore. Saved alot of lost data.

Pros:

If you need your data backed up and retained, this product is great! Fully backs up VM with a full and incremental. Need to restore a VM back to a date in time, its flawless. Their support is great at helping regarding issues. If you just need a file recovered from 30 days ago, this product will get it!

Cons:

VM backups only work on Vcenter. If you have the free version of VMware... they may or may not be able to run. I do not back up windows environment but it looked a bit .... tricky.

5 years ago

thx Chris. We're glad you're happy with Unitrends Enterprise Backup.

Kevin K.
Kevin K.
IT Administrator in US
Industrial Automation, 201-500 Employees

Very reliable for our Backups

5 4 years ago

Comments: Consistent with our servers getting backed up and very reliable.

Pros:

We used to have a different system and it seemed like it worked only half the time but now with the Unitrends Backup System I don't have to worry about losing data at our locations across the globe.

Cons:

Going from the old legacy GUI to the new one it is definitely taking time to get used to it. They renamed a lot of things. Wouldn't have been so bad if I originally started with the new interface.

4 years ago

Thanks Kevin. Glad the new UI is working for you. We put LOTS of time into making it as easy to use as possible.

Senior Technical Support in US
Financial Services, 201-500 Employees

Great software to backup your company data

5 4 years ago

Comments: Saved business from a ransomware and prevented a major disaster

Pros:

Used with VmWare vcenter. Schedule, deploy, backup and protect systems every 15 minutes or however long you like.

Cons:

Has to be used on licensed VMware. Cannot be used on free licensed. There have been some issues where unitrends cannot fix and have to call vmware to fix

4 years ago

Thank you for the review. We're glad to hear Unitrends Backup was able to save your business from ransomware and prevent a major disaster. If you ever had a question or suggestions you could reach me at [email protected]

Andrew M.
Andrew M.
I.T. Director in US

The best backup solution we have had.

5 5 years ago

Comments: A dependable, feature rich, cost effective backup solution.

Pros:

Unitrends does an excellent job of backing up our servers. We are virtualized and only use Windows Server so I can't speak to it's function with Linux or other OS. Our school district is small and we currently have 8 virtual servers on the back of 3 physical servers. We have the Recovery-604. The deduplication works extremely well and we are able to retain backups for many months! We started using this new appliance after upgrading 4 months ago and we still are under 30% of its capacity. We have 4TB backup capacity and backup 650GB uncompressed data. It has a range of features and allows you to schedule backups and backup types. It also allows for restoration down to the file level. It backs up reliably and restores quickly. I have never had an issue with a restore in the last 4 years I have used Unitrends. The new device also allows for external archiving.

Cons:

The price is a little high but the service and support is great so that more than makes up for it!!!

System Administrator in US
11-50 Employees

Best backup I ever managed

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Easy and intuitive to use, fast to set up and great customer support. Easy to manage, all you need is to check your email and make sure everything is green.

Cons:

Expensive solution that needs to be properly sized, otherwise you will see yourself running out of space and looking for an upgrade. Make sure you know your environment and your data growth rate.

Eric T.
I.T. Supervisor in US
Utilities, 51-200 Employees

We have used Unitrends for the past 3 years as our primary backup solution. It has been top notch.

5 4 years ago

Comments: The biggest benefit was a true all-in-one backup solution for our entire environment and the ability to archive backups as well.

Pros:

Ease of administration is a huge advantage to using unitrends. It has ran with very few hiccups for the past three years and when there has been an issue their support was right on it to help us.

Cons:

Would like to have a better option to restore exchange data besides kroll ontrack. Beyond that very little would be considered a con.

4 years ago

Glad your happy Eric. I'll pass along your idea.

Alejandro P.
IT Planning in Honduras
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for virtual Environment

5 2 years ago

Comments: The implementation is very easy, the solution work out of the box without problem. To schedule a backup is very easy and you can do it with a couple of click, and also the restoration.

Pros:

Cons:

Work great for our virtual machines, but if you plan to use it a central backup solution maybe you have to find other solution.

Tony B.
Server Analyst in US
Construction, 501-1,000 Employees

Review of Unitrends Backup Product

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, the product has been reliable. The one concern I have is, as we grow larger, will this product still fit our needs.

Pros:

The product is easy to use and, backs up our vm environment as planned.

Cons:

There are items lacking that would be nice to have. For instance, with vm's that are using the agent, there is not an easy way to restore it without creating a "bare metal" vm first.

Steven S.
Systems Administrator in US
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees

Great Backup Product

5 4 years ago

Comments: We needed a solution for backing up our environment consisting of both physical and virtual assets. Unitrends has allowed us to manage both through a single management interface.

Pros:

Flexibility of licensing models, ability to protect both physical and virtual systems.

Cons:

I've had some intermittent issues with the agent software on physical machines.

Shaun N.
Network Analyst in Canada
Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great product, but...

5 3 years ago

Comments: So far this product has completed two thirds of our disaster recovery plan (backup appliance and cloud), at an amazing low cost.

Pros:

Fantastic product for the money. What you get (appliance and cloud option) for the money is outstanding. We couldn't believe it when we were first reaching out to get quotes from various vendors. Including Cloud storage with unlimited upload and downloads - unheard of. The only time we would have to pay (from my understanding) is if we had to have the data mounted by them in the cloud in order to over come a catastrophe.

Cons:

Using the product is a little cumbersome - especially for restores.

Julia N.
System Administrator in US
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees

Great easy to manage product

5 2 years ago

Comments: Great support when needed and easy to navigate through. Love that we can also backup to a cold copy on external hard drives.

Pros:

We love that it's very user friendly and easy to navigate the interfaces.

Cons:

The ability to have two appliances but one interface would be beneficial. Annoying to have to pop between the two we have.

Blake G.
Blake G.
IT/EDI Manager in US
Publishing, 11-50 Employees

Don’t even know it’s there

5 3 years ago

Comments: The company and it service is their one. Responsive and effortless.

Pros:

Unitrends does a great job managing and automating our processes. Users in the office don’t even know it is there, the disruption to daily work is zero.

Cons:

The cost is high but the reward for such a great product that enables your staff to continue to work without disruption leaves for a healthy bottom line after.

Web Developer / Systems Administrator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Great BAckup Solution

5 3 years ago

Comments: My company was in need of a new backup solution between our two sites and Unitrends was an easy transition to get everything backed up.

Pros:

Managing my backups is super easy. From backing up new assets to doing a recovery it is very simple.

Cons:

Some servers took a bit of configuring to get setup but the support at Unitrends was a great help to get it done right.

Rik T.
Server Manager in US
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees

Unitrends Enterprise Backup

4 4 years ago

Comments: Backup and archiving of data and machines.

Pros:

Consistent performance and very responsive customer support.

Cons:

The easy interface went away when they went to v10.0.

Vice President Of Technology & Operations in US
51-200 Employees

Modern, Easy to Use Tools with Knowledgeable Vendor

5 4 years ago

Pros:

We moved from an on-premise tape-based backup service to Unitrends cloud-based service and it has been awesome.

Cons:

It took quite a while to get all of the data backed up from our datacenter to their cloud. We looked at having them deliver a device to ship to them, but it was priced high.

Marc L.
Marc L.
Senior Systems Engineer in US
51-200 Employees

UEB is great backup solution

5 4 years ago

Pros:

This is the great Unitrends backup solution, but it's just the software piece, which is a good thing. You can bring your own hardware and deploy it as a virtual machine in your datacenter. It can backup practically anything and has good support.

Cons:

The only bad part really is the cost. Priced out of reach for a lot of the SMB market. Other than that it is a very good product.

4 years ago

HI Marc. Glad you're happy working with UEB. We have a new product for SMBs called VM Backup Essentials (vBE) that would be a great fit for small businesses.

Lisa W.
Law Firm Administrator in US
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees

Unitrends Enterprise Backup - A good solution

4 3 years ago

Pros:

The reliability of backups once configured.

Cons:

Can be challenging to troubleshoot problems when backups fail.

Manager - Information Technology (JLT Barbados) in US
Insurance, 11-50 Employees

Unitrends Backup Appliance 640

4 3 years ago

Pros:

I use the product in two locations and what I like the most is that it has very good reporting on what backups have been completed and the state of the backup. In addition, I love the seamless ability it gives to backup virtual machines. Moreover other features I love the most is the replica of VMs to be on standby if the primary VM target is offline or not available.

Cons:

The least I like about the product is the lack of visibility as to when disk space is low. It should have an alert sent by email of a report of some kind as to the disk storage use.

David M.
IT Administrator in US
Automotive, 51-200 Employees

Descent backup software, nothing exceptional

4 5 years ago

Comments: I have been using Unitrends for about a year now. It does what it is supposed and handles everything I need it to but it doesn't really shine at anything. The interface is not very intuitive.

Pros:

All necessary features. Cost effective

Cons:

Interface and tools are not intuitive.

Andrew L.
Andrew L.
Experienced IT Administrator in US
Food Production, 201-500 Employees

Well supported easy to use backup

5 3 months ago

Pros:

It has an intuitive design that lets us get all our servers backed up

Cons:

Domain username limit of 32 chars. I cannot use my domain account and had to create a local