15 years helping British businesses

About Box

Box empowers teams to work from anywhere with a single, secure collaboration platform built for the entire content lifecycle.

Learn more about Box

Pros:

Easier to use than Dropbox. Better customer service.

Cons:

If you don't know what "folder" a document is in - or even its exact document name, the search tool can be very difficult, and almost useless.

Box ratings

4.4
4.2
4.4
4.3

8.3/10

Box has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 5,291 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Box before?

Filter reviews (5,291)

Vincent
Vincent
Market Researcher in US
Research, 2–10 Employees

The future of cloud-based content management

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: So far so good, I have enjoyed use of Box so far

Pros:

I like the fact that this platform offers future due to innovation that has been put in place. Also, I love that am able to share files from my end real time with intended recipients.

Cons:

I have noted that there is an issue on proliferation which needs to be sorted

Jamie
Partner in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Box useful tool

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Updates are easy to track. Can restore older versions.

Cons:

Cannot edit access files within Box. Can lose files if connectivity crashes. Had problems with more than one person editing same file at same time.

Timothy
VP in US
Environmental Services, 51–200 Employees

Customers not important to box

Comments: Discontinuing service. See above.

Pros:

Unlimitedspace. With no extra charge. Multiple file types supported

Cons:

We had requested flexibility on our licenses since our staff increases and reduces between 90-100 people. Our admin accidentally added licenses before removing some leavers resulting in an accidental increase in the licenses. Box would not reduce the number by 3 licenses even though this was a clear mistake. They tried to make us pay for the remaining period of our 3 year contract. This resulted in a waste of several thousand dollars when we were in cost reduction mode. Canceling. There are many equivalent services with better customer support and lower pricing.

Miha
Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Box is a great file storage, sharing, and collaboration tool.

Comments: Overall, the last 4+ years the tool has been really helpful for our organization. We also feel more secure adding files in Box that are sensitive vs Google Drive, so we use this as a backup up location for these types of files.

Pros:

Cloud storage of files that are also accessible in the cloud and desktop. Ability to limit access across staff, project teams, and internal or external organizations. Large capacity for file storage at your fingertips.

Cons:

Some features are not as thoughtout as other tools: renaming large amounts of items like photos, moving files from one folder to another, and many times links shared to outside orgs and emails dont work the first time.

Christopher
Founder in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Small Business Essential Tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: Tool that is a must have for any business collaborating online.

Pros:

Box is an out of the "Box" easy to use product from start to finish.

Cons:

Licensing model for small business' is pricey.

James
Technology Integration Specialist in US
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Cloud Storage and more!

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Box provides a convenient and easy way to store your documents and files on the cloud. The addition of Box Sign and Box Relay have helped with our workflow. Box Co-Authoring allows multiple individuals to edit a document at the same time. Adding Box Drive to Windows or Apple computers allows access to Box documents and files from the computer without the need of a web browser.

Cons:

Occasionally, Box Drive will not sync with Box.com immediately. Co-Authoring requires setup in Office prior to use and can lead to sync issues with Box Drive (document is updated in Box.com and is not immediately synced with Box Drive)

Naveed
Principal in Singapore
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Box software is high quality product for secure online data storage

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Box is the best product to keep files in cloud storage and these files remain secured. It is quite easy to transfer files through this product through mobile and multiple devices online that is the best aspect of this product liked by me. Box is highly recommended for cloud data storage and online file transfer.

Cons:

Box is fantastic software without any weakness and highly recommended.

Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

box review

5.0 last month New

Comments: it has been ok. not the best but still doable.

Pros:

i like how i can find all my files in one area, update them, and also share it with my coworkers.

Cons:

sometimes, it is very slow and takes really long to load.

Laksman
Admin Marketer in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Box Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Love the capture feature to save directly into a folder.

Cons:

Dislike how our instance at Stanford sometimes loses files and we have to call IT to figure things out.

Melanie
Scientist in US
Biotechnology, 11–50 Employees

Excellent storage tool

Pros:

a central place to store and share information

Cons:

Sometimes data does not sync and is lost.

Leonardo
UI/UX Designer in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great for Content Marketing on Startups!

Comments: When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros:

The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons:

It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

Kalina
Research Programmer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very straightforward

Comments: I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind! 1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive. 2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros:

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files. If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons:

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

Narasimhan (Nari)
Narasimhan (Nari)
Chemical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

Comments: Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros:

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed. BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple. It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB. Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files. Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Cons:

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

Translation & Localization, Self Employed

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros:

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons:

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Alhassan
Research Coordinator in Ghana
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

Comments: I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros:

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons:

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Smooth and feature-rich

Comments: I use Box to backup and sync shared projects. I appreciate the fact that my contacts can set up a fully-functional Box account for free, something that makes it considerably easier to bring them on board. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, so you get started in a few minutes and then are good to go. The web interface helps you learn about collaboration features that make your work more productive.

Pros:

While most of the time I just use Box as a way to backup and share files on the cloud, I have occasionally used its collaboration features and I find them amazing. Team members can exchange messages, views, links regarding a document that is being drafted. Some of these functions were gradually added to productivity softwares like Office, but you are bound to use OneDrive to have them (and I don't want to be captured by a specific cloud storage provider).

Cons:

The desktop client has had occasional crashes from time to time, but I am unsure whether this may depend on my side (e.g., Windows updates that need some days to be "digested" by the Box software). Overall, I find this product stable and reliable. In my limited experience, I cannot think of any major feature that is not already included.

Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

Outstanding product

Comments: I'm just taken in by the quality-to-cheap ratio. Box provides a wide range of highly competent services at a reasonable price.

Pros:

Simple, intuitive, simple to use, and offers data transfer and networking that is extremely secure. Box also provides excellent value for the money. Although I primarily use Box to store and exchange files online, I have occasionally used its collaborative tools and I absolutely love them. Regarding a document that is being drafted, team members can share thoughts, opinions, and links. Some of these features were progressively added to productivity programs like Office, but you need to use OneDrive to get them (and I don't want to be identified with a particular cloud storage service). Simple, intuitive, simple to use, and offers data transfer and networking that is extremely secure. Box also provides excellent value for the money. Although I primarily use Box to store and exchange files online, I have occasionally used its collaborative tools and I absolutely love them. Regarding a document that is being drafted, team members can share thoughts, opinions, and links. Some of these features were progressively added to productivity programs like Office, but you need to use OneDrive to get them (and I don't want to be identified with a particular cloud storage service).

Cons:

Box offers services that are just as amazing as the things it offers. Sorry but I am not able to find any cons

Oğuz
Game Designer in Sri Lanka
Computer Games, 2–10 Employees

A Comprehensive Review of Box Software: Pros, Cons, and Final Verdict

Comments: Box Software is a great choice for businesses of all sizes, offering a reliable and secure cloud storage and file sharing solution. The wide range of features and functionalities make it an ideal choice for teams working on projects remotely. The user-friendly interface allows for quick and easy setup, and the ability to store and sync files across multiple devices is extremely useful. However, the lack of version control and the pricing plans may be a deterrent for some users.

Pros:

Box Software offers an easy to use, intuitive user experience with a wide range of features and functionalities that makes it a great choice for businesses of all sizes. The ability to store and sync files across multiple devices makes it particularly useful for teams working on projects remotely.

Cons:

There is no version control feature available, meaning that users must be careful when editing files as the latest version will always be saved and any editing mistakes cannot be undone. Additionally, some users may find the pricing plans expensive compared to other cloud storage solutions.

Phoebe
Phoebe
Tutor/Researcher in US
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Great for Team Accessibility

Comments: Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros:

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons:

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

CK
Software Architect in US
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Highly secure collaboration

Pros:

Box has lots of integrations, which makes it easier to work with it within other tools without having to visit it in a browser. Outside of that, the main reason to choose Box is its security features. The web interface is clean and highly intuitive. It still is loaded with features to customize it for your users in anyway you want.

Cons:

The big downside I see is the speed. This may be due to the level of security configured, but it's noticeable. There are also some UI design issues that require way too many clicks to get to what you need. However, these are for very infrequently used settings (such as finding out storage usage).

Mary
HR Director in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

Easy file sharing from desk, laptop, phone...

Comments: I love Box and tell everyone I interview about Box. We are a 70% remote group and depend on Box for sharing information and collaborating on projects. Applicants ask, "How do you manage a dispersed work force?" and "How do people maintain a sense of team?" "Box," I say, "is a big component."

Pros:

1. Sharing files is simple, no matter who you want to share with and no matter from what device. You can share a document with someone inside or outside of the organization without giving up control of the document. No need for someone outside of the organization to upload any software in order to access the shared document. 2. As an HR professional I find Box to be a great tool for collaborating with hiring managers. I set up a system for resume sorting that allows hiring managers to see just those resumes selected for their review, and allows the manager to move the candidates ahead in the hiring process, or not, as desired. I can then take action based on their actions in Box. It's very efficient. As a small business we do not need expensive, extensive stand-alone software for applicant tracking. Box allows us to record our decision making process 3. Largely intuitive, but in case you need a bit of help, the webinars and how-to videos are very easy to follow. 4. I can access, read and send documents from my phone. Very helpful for those moments at the beach when you realize you forgot to send a document to your boss. It's happened.

Cons:

1. I work mostly from an old Mac. I find some of the interface less smooth than from my PC. For example, when I create a Word doc within Box while using my Mac, the Mac defaults to Text Edit instead of Word. I suspect that's user error, though.

Ricky
Manager, Operations and Finance in US
Pharmaceuticals, 11–50 Employees

Robust Cloud Base System

Comments: We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros:

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons:

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Nazir
manager in Italy
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

"Box: A Comprehensive and Secure Cloud-Based Content Management and File Sharing Solution

Comments: very good

Pros:

One of the things I like most about Box is its security features. Box offers an extensive set of security features, including user access controls, data encryption, and audit trails, to ensure that the data stored on the platform is protected. This is particularly important for businesses and organizations that need to store sensitive information and ensure that it is only accessible to authorized individuals.Another aspect that I like about Box is its integration capabilities, Box allows integration with other software tools such as Office 365, Google Workspace, Salesforce and many others. This makes it easy for users to access and edit files, even when working in other applications.The platform is also user-friendly and easy to navigate, with a clean and intuitive user interface, it makes it easy for users to store, share, and collaborate on files. Additionally, it offers a wide range of features and functionalities such as file versioning, commenting, and task management, which makes it a comprehensive solution for managing and sharing files.

Cons:

One of the things I like least about Box is its cost. While the platform offers a wide range of features and functionalities, it may be more expensive than some other similar solutions on the market. Additionally, the pricing structure can be complex and difficult to understand, which can make it challenging for businesses to determine the best plan for their needs.Another thing to consider is that the platform can be a bit overwhelming for new users. With a wide range of features and functionalities, it can take some time to learn how to use all of them effectively. This can be a challenge for businesses and organizations with limited IT resources.It's also worth mentioning that as a cloud-based service, Box relies on a stable internet connection to function, if the internet connection is weak or unreliable, it can cause problems such as slow performance, dropped connections or even lost data.Overall, while Box is a powerful and secure cloud-based content management and file sharing solution, it may not be the best fit for all businesses, especially those on a tight budget or with limited IT resources. It's important for users to carefully consider their specific needs and preferences before deciding to use the service.

Jose
Jose
Project Manager in US
Chemicals, 201–500 Employees

Very useful cloud platform for storing and sharing company documents.

Comments: We chose Box as a reinforcement and cloud arrangement, the truth simply can browse records straightforwardly from your working framework like a record organizer is extraordinary, in spite of the fact that it's comparative to other administrations presently. Box fathoms a part of issues for our organization, like distribution center issues, security of those things, and a assembly put for our group, we will transfer assignments and oversee those tasks inside. We filter client printed material on our computers, upload it to a shared file, and after that thrust it into our company's other program to urge it where it should go.

Pros:

Box has ceaselessly demonstrated to be a one-stop-shop and powerhouse, giving end-users with numerous alternatives for organizations, too illustrating the capacity to see what others have included, awesome for collaboration and venture administration. The thought that the Box can give full match up administrations as well as back up your NAS drives is extraordinary, the finest highlight being the volume of capacity you get. Everybody who works in my office can share records in a common put interior the Box, from where we transfer them to our program, so ready to all include records for clients in one put.

Cons:

One of the most difficult difficulties is setup; there appears to be no mechanism to define which volumes to back up, yet things mysteriously roll back. It's unclear how it works, and there appears to be no explanation or instruction on how to set up specific backup folders. Poor status updates; we have TBs of data saved with Box; we have no idea when files are backed up; Box Drive is meant to sync data rapidly, however it does not. Things eventually get copied across, but we're left wondering how much we can believe our data are up to date.

Nikitah
Professor in US
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Box

Comments: All in all, Box has proven substantially beneficial for the university and for faculty to access materials of a general nature in a more efficient way and though I have not seen the actual numbers myself, I suspect that offloading all of the staff time and energy that went into maintaining and training people to monitored those previous on-campus servers was a price efficient move as well. Equally important in a time of fiscal belt-tightening.

Pros:

My university decided to replace its archaic system of various collective departmental, college, and institution drives and servers with Box. It is a thousand times easier to access from a variety of locations, at almost any time, using almost any communicative medium you wish to employ. In the 21st century the modern mobile educational facility and educator lives and dies on the capacity to not just amass data and research and information but also to retrieve and manipulate it at remote locales in a secure, rapid way.

Cons:

The biggest challenge is that Box has, like many modern softwares, engineered a number of plug ins. I have found that the reliability and functionality of these varies. for example, the general BoxSync application works perfectly but then there is a Box application for Windows 8 and another for Windows 10 which are "store apps" which are not as good at syncing and it is possible you might have both kinds of applications on your machine and that is rather confusing for the user since they have different interfaces and the syncing between them is not as transparent as one might expect. There is a page of these plugins and their descriptions overlap substantially and so it's not always clear which application you should employ in conjunction with your general Box.