15 years helping British businesses

About Box

Box empowers teams to work from anywhere with a single, secure collaboration platform built for the entire content lifecycle.

Learn more about Box

Pros:

Easier to use than Dropbox. Better customer service.

Cons:

If you don't know what "folder" a document is in - or even its exact document name, the search tool can be very difficult, and almost useless.

Box ratings

4.5
4.2
4.4
4.3

8.3/10

Box has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 5,356 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Box before?

Filter reviews (5,356)

Josh
Josh
Owner in US
Construction, Self Employed

So easy, so secure, no limits.

5.0 last month New

Comments: Great. It's so easy to use and I can do all my backup files and sharing files with clients in the same place so I don't have to duplicate work.

Pros:

No limit to file size or number of files and folders for the business (PRO) account.

Cons:

If you want truly unlimited file size and number of files you have to make quite a big leap in price from the standard account.

Bilal
Project Manager in India
Computer Software, Self Employed

The Ultimate and Cloud Solution for the Secure Collaboration and File Management.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: The platform excels in providing a secure environment for storing and sharing files, which is crucial for any business handling sensitive data. The collaboration tools, such as real-time editing and commenting, have significantly improved teamwork and productivity within projects.

Pros:

The ability to share and store files securely, while also enabling real-time collaboration and integration with various third-party applications, makes it an incredibly powerful tool for businesses.

Cons:

While the platform offers a wealth of features, navigating through them can be overwhelming, and finding specific settings or options isn't always intuitive.

Timothy
VP in US
Environmental Services, 51–200 Employees

Customers not important to box

Comments: Discontinuing service. See above.

Pros:

Unlimitedspace. With no extra charge. Multiple file types supported

Cons:

We had requested flexibility on our licenses since our staff increases and reduces between 90-100 people. Our admin accidentally added licenses before removing some leavers resulting in an accidental increase in the licenses. Box would not reduce the number by 3 licenses even though this was a clear mistake. They tried to make us pay for the remaining period of our 3 year contract. This resulted in a waste of several thousand dollars when we were in cost reduction mode. Canceling. There are many equivalent services with better customer support and lower pricing.

Tayeb
CEO in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Solid File Sharing System

Comments: I have been using Box for many years. As an early adopter, I can say that the brand has been loyal to it’s early adopters and that is really appreciated. I only ran into an issue once with a storage related issue and their support team had to run a script to fix it but they were very responsive as they tackled my request in a few business hours which was impressive. Highly recommend.

Pros:

Generous data storage allowance Competitive Pricing Top-notch support team and I’m talking from experience.

Cons:

Sometimes some files get duplicated so you might have to delete doubles manually but I’d rather have my files doubled than deleted. So far the archiving on Box has been a pleasant experience as I never experienced data loss.

Vince
IT Director in US
Textiles, 51–200 Employees

Box for business is great

Pros:

Box makes it easy to share larger files that we cannot send via email. Doesn't matter if they are in our organization or not. It's a great way to send files.

Cons:

There isn't a lot to not like about Box other than the added cost for licenses. But even that is a bargain.

Steven
Media Specialist in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Great product for asset storage but limiting in features.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I think that Box is a great choice for businesses that prefer a simple cloud file management solution. A great choice for any beginner in cloud storage.

Pros:

Box is great for it simplicity and integration into both the Windows and Mac platform. Easy to set up, store files, and send them over to my collogues.

Cons:

The features of Box seem limited compared to other services in the data storage field.

Grant
Broker in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

I've been using Box since 2007, and they have been fantastic.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I have used Box since 2007, and they have been very impressive in every way.

Pros:

They give you a lot of free storage. Logging in, managing files, sharing files is very easy.

Cons:

I don't have any complaints about Box. I have used them for many years, and they have been great.

Walter
Walter
Adviser in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I improve my work tools

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: improves the organization, security and control of the projects that I am carrying out with my team

Pros:

It allows me to have better prepared work with my team to prepare projects, having all the information protected and everyone working together for better speed and collaboration among all. It is easy to access from any device and this allows me to always be in contact and work from wherever I am without having to be in person at the office.

Cons:

I would only like the response times from the customer service team to be faster and not have to wait for long responses.

Anthony
Anthony
finance and international business in US
Food & Beverages, 201–500 Employees

automates manual processes

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: It reduced my work by having more effective communication with my group to carry out the tasks together and visualize their process.

Pros:

Previously, the processes that we now automate through Box took us a long time to carry out, with automation we have reduced work times and improved daily production in task deliveries. It has been useful and we have been able to work as a more organized team and with better tools.

Cons:

In my experience there is nothing I have to say that needs to be improved, it is a good platform with its services

Medical Practice, Self Employed

Very good program

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: box is a good program and I will continue to use it. It has helped me make my work easier many times. It is a good program

Pros:

The panel option is very useful for collaboration. Although it syncs a lot of files, it does not slow down the computer, which is a good thing for me, and it is also an easy-to-use program.

Cons:

I think that if they make a bigger file size for transfer it will be good

Leonardo
UI/UX Designer in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great for Content Marketing on Startups!

Comments: When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros:

The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons:

It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

Kalina
Research Programmer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very straightforward

Comments: I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind! 1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive. 2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros:

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files. If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons:

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

Narasimhan (Nari)
Narasimhan (Nari)
Chemical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

Comments: Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros:

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed. BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple. It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB. Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files. Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Cons:

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

Translation & Localization, Self Employed

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros:

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons:

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Alhassan
Research Coordinator in Ghana
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

Comments: I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros:

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons:

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Smooth and feature-rich

Comments: I use Box to backup and sync shared projects. I appreciate the fact that my contacts can set up a fully-functional Box account for free, something that makes it considerably easier to bring them on board. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, so you get started in a few minutes and then are good to go. The web interface helps you learn about collaboration features that make your work more productive.

Pros:

While most of the time I just use Box as a way to backup and share files on the cloud, I have occasionally used its collaboration features and I find them amazing. Team members can exchange messages, views, links regarding a document that is being drafted. Some of these functions were gradually added to productivity softwares like Office, but you are bound to use OneDrive to have them (and I don't want to be captured by a specific cloud storage provider).

Cons:

The desktop client has had occasional crashes from time to time, but I am unsure whether this may depend on my side (e.g., Windows updates that need some days to be "digested" by the Box software). Overall, I find this product stable and reliable. In my limited experience, I cannot think of any major feature that is not already included.

Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

Outstanding product

Comments: I'm just taken in by the quality-to-cheap ratio. Box provides a wide range of highly competent services at a reasonable price.

Pros:

Simple, intuitive, simple to use, and offers data transfer and networking that is extremely secure. Box also provides excellent value for the money. Although I primarily use Box to store and exchange files online, I have occasionally used its collaborative tools and I absolutely love them. Regarding a document that is being drafted, team members can share thoughts, opinions, and links. Some of these features were progressively added to productivity programs like Office, but you need to use OneDrive to get them (and I don't want to be identified with a particular cloud storage service). Simple, intuitive, simple to use, and offers data transfer and networking that is extremely secure. Box also provides excellent value for the money. Although I primarily use Box to store and exchange files online, I have occasionally used its collaborative tools and I absolutely love them. Regarding a document that is being drafted, team members can share thoughts, opinions, and links. Some of these features were progressively added to productivity programs like Office, but you need to use OneDrive to get them (and I don't want to be identified with a particular cloud storage service).

Cons:

Box offers services that are just as amazing as the things it offers. Sorry but I am not able to find any cons

Oğuz
Game Designer in Sri Lanka
Computer Games, 2–10 Employees

A Comprehensive Review of Box Software: Pros, Cons, and Final Verdict

Comments: Box Software is a great choice for businesses of all sizes, offering a reliable and secure cloud storage and file sharing solution. The wide range of features and functionalities make it an ideal choice for teams working on projects remotely. The user-friendly interface allows for quick and easy setup, and the ability to store and sync files across multiple devices is extremely useful. However, the lack of version control and the pricing plans may be a deterrent for some users.

Pros:

Box Software offers an easy to use, intuitive user experience with a wide range of features and functionalities that makes it a great choice for businesses of all sizes. The ability to store and sync files across multiple devices makes it particularly useful for teams working on projects remotely.

Cons:

There is no version control feature available, meaning that users must be careful when editing files as the latest version will always be saved and any editing mistakes cannot be undone. Additionally, some users may find the pricing plans expensive compared to other cloud storage solutions.

Telecommunications, 501–1,000 Employees

Simple to use, but with some improvement opportunities.

Comments: Box is easy and quick to use; it is so user-friendly and intuitive. They provide you with short tips in popup messages. This interface is excellent to requests signatures, as it notifies you once everyone has signed your document. I like that you have a free option to use which is 10 GB of storage, which is enough if you make sure to delete files you do not need anymore.Box has some improvement opportunities regarding the signing process. Overall it is simple and easy to use (no tutorials needed).

Pros:

Box is simple and quick in terms of sharing documentation, requesting signatures, uploading, and editing content. I love how customizable are the signatures as you may just drag the signature, seals, and date of signature options. Also, the storage capacity you get for the free option is very reasonable (10GB). If you desire to have a customized price for your needs, Box also offers other options with good prices.

Cons:

When you share a document, your coworkers do not get notified in their Box dashboard. They need to check their emails in order to notice that they got new shared content or signature requests. I'd rather prefer that each of us gets notified in Box, as always as we are logged into our accounts. Also, you may not receive your notifications in your primary inbox, but in "Promotions" or Spam.On the other hand, once you request signatures and you get notified everyone has signed the document, you'll have to create a copy of it for you to sign. I would prefer to sign the original document, instead of Box creating a copy of it, so I can sign it too.

Ali
Ali
Information Technology Adviser in Azerbaijan
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Transfer and share files easily and securely in the cloud

Comments: One of the first options in transferring our files and offering in the list of required and recommended items to companies and organizations that we consult. If you have different meetings and need different files in the meetings, safely create a secure cloud space of your files in the box because one day it will come in handy. Having a backup on the secure cloud storage is always life-saving, and experience has shown that floppy disks, CDs, and flash drives and computer headers are not enough for a successful business.

Pros:

I like the simplicity and good features and the appropriate speed of Box platform, you can easily transfer files from any device to the cloud storage space of the box. I like its speed and security, you will not feel any strangeness with the software. E-Signature make it more secure and Integration with lot of apps is wonderful. The cost and price is very reasonable and economical compared to the many features it provides to the user.‌ Data Loss Protection is great.

Cons:

The graphic design of the dashboard should be simpler and more tangible and can be changed to the liking of the admin, Also a feature in the dashboard should be added to display the status of shared files and folders, and the latest status of views and downloads to be clearly and simply visible to the admin.

Director in Australia
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Way better than Google Drive and Dropbox

Comments: Amazing. Just wish I’d found them earlier and not wasted time with Googles incredibly buggy Drive product and Dropbox’s ridiculously priced product.

Pros:

Before trying Box.com I tried both market leaders... Google Drive was cheap but horrendously buggy, when you’re logged into multiple gmail accounts it gets horribly confused and won’t let you access/edit/download your own files. I found workarounds for this like using an Incognito window or Firefox to access my files but it felt clunky and buggy. Dropbox didn’t have any of those issues, it was perfect but for a business plan for multiple staff members they charge crazy prices. Way too expensive. Box.com had none of the issues of Google drive, all of the functionality of Dropbox and charged a very reasonable price for it. Best of both worlds and in my opinion they should be the market leader.

Cons:

Nothing. Literally have zero issues with it. After using their competitors box.com is a breath of fresh air in every sense.

Mary
HR Director in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

Easy file sharing from desk, laptop, phone...

Comments: I love Box and tell everyone I interview about Box. We are a 70% remote group and depend on Box for sharing information and collaborating on projects. Applicants ask, "How do you manage a dispersed work force?" and "How do people maintain a sense of team?" "Box," I say, "is a big component."

Pros:

1. Sharing files is simple, no matter who you want to share with and no matter from what device. You can share a document with someone inside or outside of the organization without giving up control of the document. No need for someone outside of the organization to upload any software in order to access the shared document. 2. As an HR professional I find Box to be a great tool for collaborating with hiring managers. I set up a system for resume sorting that allows hiring managers to see just those resumes selected for their review, and allows the manager to move the candidates ahead in the hiring process, or not, as desired. I can then take action based on their actions in Box. It's very efficient. As a small business we do not need expensive, extensive stand-alone software for applicant tracking. Box allows us to record our decision making process 3. Largely intuitive, but in case you need a bit of help, the webinars and how-to videos are very easy to follow. 4. I can access, read and send documents from my phone. Very helpful for those moments at the beach when you realize you forgot to send a document to your boss. It's happened.

Cons:

1. I work mostly from an old Mac. I find some of the interface less smooth than from my PC. For example, when I create a Word doc within Box while using my Mac, the Mac defaults to Text Edit instead of Word. I suspect that's user error, though.

Ricky
Manager, Operations and Finance in US
Pharmaceuticals, 11–50 Employees

Robust Cloud Base System

Comments: We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros:

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons:

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Internet, Self Employed

The best solution for storing data in a secure and easy way

Comments: I have been using Box as my primary data storage solution for the past year and have been extremely pleased with its performance. Box offers a variety of features that make it easy to store, access and share my important files. The user-friendly interface and intuitive navigation make it easy to upload, organize and share files with my team and clients. The platform also offers collaboration tools such as commenting, version tracking and real-time syncing, which have been essential for my workflow and team coordination. I have also found the platform to be highly secure, with robust encryption and multiple layers of protection to keep my data safe. The platform also allows me to set detailed access controls and permissions, which allows me to share files with specific individuals. Box also supports a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio and video, which makes it a versatile solution for all my data storage needs.

Pros:

Storing and managing important files requires a solution that is both user-friendly and secure. Cloud-based storage services such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud provide easy-to-use interfaces and strong security measures, making them an ideal choice for safeguarding sensitive data. The services make it simple to upload, organize and share files with team members and clients, with tools such as commenting and version tracking for effective collaboration. The service ensures the safety of your data by implementing robust encryption and multiple layers of protection.The services support a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio and video, making it a suitable option for all your storage needs. The mobile app allows easy access to your files from anywhere, which is particularly useful for remote work scenarios.

Cons:

While cloud-based storage services such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud offer many benefits for storing and managing important files, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One disadvantage is that the pricing can be high for smaller businesses with a limited budget. Another issue is that the platform may experience slow performance, particularly when uploading large files. Additionally, syncing can be problematic at times, making it difficult to access important files when on the go. Overall, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before choosing a cloud-based storage service for your business.

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Reliable Cloud Storage

Pros:

I've been using 50GB of BOX storage to hold a collection of PDF work papers and ebooks served to Calibre reader. Every change on Calibre updates the cloud storage and syncs. Also, every new document saved in BOX end up in Calibre automatically. So far it has been a reliable place to save and store my files, with easy to use management functions. The desktop app is also very simple as any cloud storage app must be.

Cons:

Free space provided is very small for today's needs, but other than that there are really no other problems.