Plooto is a simple AP and AR tool that also makes it easy to pay across borders.

Reviewed on 20/03/2018
Management Consulting
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I mostly used it for AR purposes across the U.S. and Canadian border.

Pros: It's simple, and that point needs to be kept in mind. The interface is intuitive and it syncs with popular accounting programs like QuickBooks Online. The best part of the program (in my opinion) is the AR function that allows you to set up a recurring ACH payment from clients for a flat fee. Depending on the size of your invoice this could save you some money in credit card or bank processing fees. Also, you can do ACH payment from a U.S. bank and deposit the funds in a Canadian bank account. It is a pretty cool feature that puts them above Bill.com. It also doesn't carry the monthly fee of Bill.com.

Cons: It takes way too long to send money across borders. My experience is with the Canadian/U.S. border. It took nearly two weeks from the time that the client authorized the payment until it was deposited in my account. Also, if you are using Plooto for a foreign currency exchange service much better rates can be found elsewhere. If you are using Plooto instead of Bill.com and need all of the permissions or invoice scanning functionality, don't expect it. However, if you want a simple AP and AR tool with an added bonus of being able to make and receive payments across borders, and you aren't time crunched to make or receive a payment, then Plooto is a great inexpensive option.

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Plooto

Reviewed on 19/04/2019
Aislinn K.
Marketing Asssitant
Management Consulting, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Plooto has certainly helped us from a workflow perspective, it's pulling your payables from your Quickbooks or Xero account into Plooto so you can see all the payables that you need to deal with and when they're due. And there's a whole bunch of approval processes you can put in place for internal controls perspective so make things a lot more bulletproof than just manually writing checks and doing e-transfers.

Pros: So you can currently do pre-authorized debit, pre-authorized credit receivables in U.S. dollars and Canadian dollars which is super kick-ass. It's also made some of our clients lives a lot easier if they've got clients in different countries, and it gives their clients flexibility to pay in debit or credit. Also, as far as the amount of time it takes for that cash to clear your bank account; it's faster than Stripe, and on top of that the integration with Quickbooks makes it a lot easier to manage the fees, unlike Stripe.

Cons: We'd love to see more international payments to more countries just for some of our clients that have people they're paying in lots of different places around the world. As well, with the international payments, if a client has a lot of companies that they're paying in the U.S. for instance if you get really costly really quickly. So I'd like to see some bulk discounts for high volume payments to the U.S.

Wow... awesome payment service

Reviewed on 27/11/2018
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Absolutely love the way Plooto integrates with QuickBooks online. It pulls in the bills to be paid, and you review and send them out... and it allows for multiple signers to approve the payments.

Cons: The issue I like least is that they don't offer a cheque... there are a few.. less than 1% of our bills, that we need a cheque for. I so dislike manual cheques, chasing signers... I need Plooto to send out a cheque on our behalf occassionally.

It appears to have it all until you use it.

Reviewed on 17/12/2018
Tammy B.
Publisher
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Not Good. Really ambitious to make it work I like the concept but they make it very hard to be a client.

Pros: I like that it can process both bank or credit card payments for receivables. It can provide automation too but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I like the price. And I like that it linked into xero. It appears to have it all until you use it.

Cons: 1) Its not easy to use, no introduction. 2) the automation component never worked for me I know I had to get PAD on but I wanted it on for some clients off for others and this was not an easy thing to set. It also doesn't allow me to store the credit card something like Quickbooks online I had in mind but this is a complete oversight to the program. I guess if automation actually worked then this could solve this issue. 3) Ya I was very confused but when my clients couldn't figure it out either, some ended up with duplicate payments pulled from their accounts etc. No help to fix very embarrassing. 4) their live chat is not live. You ask a question and wait. Fine to get started but even in the middle of conversation to deal with issues they just disappear. The conversation is not live. Sometimes they don't even read my questions which makes me think not a real person is helping me. 5) Money holding ridiculous! If a client due date on invoice was 30 days and they paid me next day I had to wait until what my invoice said for due date on payment. Plus when money drops into my account there is no PLOOTO ID on the deposit. Very confusing for trying to reconcile. 6) Plooto reconciled in Xero in its own little account but doesn't reconcile with the bank account. Weird and confusing.

You can tell it's new

Reviewed on 10/01/2018
Brett G.
Customer Support

Pros: What I like most about this software is the pay as you go model. No upfront usage fees. You are getting charged for what you use. There isn't extra charge for syncing with your accounting software either, unlike Bill.com. You can sync your invoices, bills, and contacts to the system manually or all at once. You can select what to pay or who to request payment from. Pricing is very affordable.

Cons: The least favorite of this service is the lack of documented FAQs or how to use the system. I signed up and was brought to their main page. No tour, no help document to show me what to do. I had to figure it out. What does it look like to request money from a client? I had to send a test payment to myself to see what it looks like. Same as with sending out payments for bills. What does that look like for the vendors I want to pay? I had to send a test payment to myself as well so I can see what it looks like. It would be nice if they had sample screen shots so I can reference or show my clients what it would look like for training purposes.

Awesome AP/AR app that saves time and money.

Reviewed on 12/05/2018
Helina P.
CFO, Management Consultant
Management Consulting, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Cash in my bank faster. Cheaper bill payments.

Pros: Plooto saves me and my clients so much time is chasing invoice payments and mailing cheques for bill payments. The integrations with accounting softwares make it easy to manage vendor payments and mark them as paid. The pre-authorised debits make it easy to collect recurring invoice payments.

Cons: I'd like to see the time gap from invoice payment to cash in my bank and bill payment to cash in my vendor's bank shortened.

Loved the product until last week when we lost 30K because of PLooto system bug!

Reviewed on 01/03/2018
Ken M.
VP Finance
Customer Support

Pros: 1-Easy to use
2- Dashboards are great
3- Cost is on point
4- Set up was easy
Overall has such potential to be a leader in this space, however, read cons!

Cons: 1-Security
2- Customer services/Success
3- Accountability when errors are made-
Last week you guys seemed to have a system bug the resulted in your system double paying involves totalling 30K. This is a huge red flag for us on the controls and security of your platform. When we contacted you guys we were given no explanation and no solution. Just told to ask vendors for credit notes and this is just not a solution.. I need solutions and explanations fast or we will be removing our selves from your platform, won't roll out other companies and will certainly be adding the review on your product. This means we are currently out 30K and not to mention all the additional time this has take for my staff to investigate. The more troubling part is that we found this and this was not detected by Plooto. This is too bad as i feel your platform had lots of potential but when in comes to payments, security is the number one concern. Customer services would also be a good addition!

Simplest way to manage receivables

Reviewed on 03/01/2019
Logistics & Supply Chain, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The setup is simple, the user interface is simple and it solves many issues that come up when automating your back office to handle AR in a fast manner. Streamlining the PAD agreement is extremely nice.

Cons: The speed of ACH deposits must get faster but with a credit card, the funding is the next day. They could also improve the Xero connection a bit more but all and all its great.

Makes payments SO EASY

Reviewed on 10/01/2017
Boyd T.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I started using this in early 2016 on the recommendation of a customer who is a bookkeeper. It's made payroll to my ICs and suppliers a piece of cake. Hours of writing cheques and later on reconciling payments and Interac e-transfer fees is done in a matter of minutes. This integrates well with Xero, and when I've had questions they respond quickly.

Pros: integration with cloud accounting software

Cons: It takes a few days for recipients to receive funds.

by Plooto on 12/01/2017

Thanks Boyd, we're constantly working to release additional features to make your payments simpler and easier.

You get what you pay for- If you're a serious business, don't bother

Reviewed on 10/05/2018
CFO
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Cost Efficient Ok- at least support responded if anyone was actually available.

Cons: Absolute disaster if you need funds transferred in any reliable or consistent time frame. The bigger the amount, the longer the wait took for a wire transfer to push through. I imagine it's because funds were being hoarded to capitalize in gains or wherever it was being held (6 figures sums took multiple weeks at points). Terrible breaking between Quickbooks and Xero for existing customers. Failed multiple time on cash transfers, racked up charges. If you're using it for personal use, I guess it's better than other means- I would just Venmo in that case honestly. If it's for serious business- DO NOT use. Especially if you do any kind of wiring of large funds in the six figure and up range. You will regret it, payments will be late, and you will rack up charges on returned payments and kill cash liquidity on the long waiting periods. Product not yet ready for mainstream business use in my opinion.

Saves me on time and costs. Convenient to use & good support.

Reviewed on 04/12/2015
Shipra R.
Customer Support

Comments: Set up was quick and easy. I needed to wait for half a day to confirm my bank account but I understand that it's for security purposes. It was well worth the time. Everything is quick and easy and I love how they have a flat fee - they've recently reduced it down to $1. Where it helps more is how much time it saves me after I switched over from using cheques. We're a cloud based accounting firm and they have a great way to set up multiple accounts that I can manage and get payments approved by my clients. Their customer service is also really good, I actually had a new feature implemented after I brought it up to them. As far as I know, right now they're just in Canada but I can't wait for them to get into the U.S.

Payments and receivables can't get easier

Reviewed on 29/03/2018
Brian C.
Partner
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Easy to follow interface
Syncs with QuickBooks Online and Xero to pull in your payables and receivables
Can set up a pre-authorized debit
Low fees per transaction
No monthly cost to use the platform

Cons: Nothing. It meets mine and my client's needs

Easiest way to pay my suppliers.

Reviewed on 18/07/2017
Boyd T.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Save time and increased accuracy of accounting records

Pros: Integration with Xero accounting software and options for direct deposit or email e-transfer. Plus, it's easy to send off a batch of bill payments. Saves me a few hours every month easily.

Cons: When they initially launched the integration with my accounting software was not fully set up and there were some confusing transactions, but it is all great now.

It's not excellent, but we don't have a choice.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Alexander N.
Tax professional
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Automatic payment reconciliation with XERO and recurring payment setup.

Pros: some amount for transaction - it's like eTransfer price, but XERO integration with automatic reconciliation is additional benefit. Also recurring payment setup ability.

Cons: Fife (5) days for transfer transaction! It is like cheque holding by Bank! Why? eTransfer need from several minutes for it...

To support

Reviewed on 09/04/2019
Bernie S.
Presedent
Construction, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: No customer service representative what so ever

Pros: I have been looking for software that would allow my clients to pay me not by visa directly so as to stop the need for paper cheques.

Cons: No customer service waited on hold for over an hour on multiple occasion and have been unable to speak to anyone. I have a serum security concern and need to know what is going on.

Quickbooks Autopay on Recurring Templates Eliminates need for Plooto

Reviewed on 26/06/2019
Nathan B.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: It worked fairly well but then reconciling to Quickbooks took extra steps that became unnecessary when Quickbooks Online introduced the same functionality.

Cons: Customer Service is non-existent. Phone calls didn't get through, chat takes hours to get someone on. How to cancel account? Not sure . . .

Easy to set up and great support!

Reviewed on 21/09/2017
Stéphanie M.
Owner/Bookkeeper
Accounting, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Makes it super easy to pay vendors!

Pros: Chat support is there when you need them the most! I really appreciate how attentive and thorough they are with onboarding, troubleshooting, and answering questions.

Cons: It would be great if they also sent out checks for those companies that require checks and don't do ACH.

Easy to use payments platform!

Reviewed on 04/12/2015
Ramli S.
Customer Support

Comments: I use Plooto to pay my rent. I've had a great experience so far! It was easy to set up. And the support team was so helpful.

by Plooto on 04/12/2015

Thank you so much!

These guys are clueless

Reviewed on 10/05/2019
Craig K.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Made several payments through Plooto. They kept asking me for the same documents that I provided. During the approval process, I sent requested documents. They asked for directors of the company. My company is an LLC that has members, not directors. I sent the operating agreement with all the members and signatures. They could not understand the concept of an LLC. They indicated that my payment would be delivered on a certain date. After two weeks of going back and forth I was forced to wire the money from my bank and cancel the payable in Plooto. At one point I heard nothing from Customer Support for more than 48 hours. Most frustrating experience I have had in a while.

Pros: It should be easy. The UI is good. The concept is good

Cons: Customer support is terrible. Process is archaic.

great job, needs more tutorials

Reviewed on 03/10/2018
Private Tutor
Education Management, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: few options for paying contractors...this is a good one

Pros: reasonable price for transferring money to contractors. reasonably smooth process and quick if you use the instant method.

Cons: they lack thorough, step by step tutorials. it's hard to know exactly how the process unfolds for both parties, therefore you can't explain to payees what they need to do. It didn't seem to automatically send an email to the payee.