• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.6 /5

About ZipBooks

Modern accounting software for small businesses and accountants including time tracking, invoicing, & digital payments.

Learn more about ZipBooks

Susan B.
Board of Directors
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/01/2017

"ZipBooks - Perfect for a Hobby turned Small Business!"

Comments: The ZipBooks staff have been very responsive and willing to help. The software is free to use, however, there is a $1.25 charge per Paypal transaction when a customer pays via ZipBooks invoice. It provides basic accounting features that would work well for a person who is turning their hobby into a small business or a small contract business. If you are new to accounting, ZipBooks is perfect. If you are accustomed to accounting software, then this free software isn't for you. It doesn't yet have dynamic reporting features, ie no balance sheet or clickable fields to expand a data field on the Income Statement. If your business is small and you are going to keep it that way, ZipBooks is perfect. If your business is thriving and growing, invest in paid software as you'll quickly grow out of ZipBooks. That said, I'm told they have changes in the works so maybe this won't hold true in the near future.

Pros: Easy to use for someone with no accounting knowledge. Perfect for an MLM or hobby turned business. I love, love, love that their customer service is responsive.

Cons: The reporting features are seriously lacking. No balance statement, COG's are lumped together on the Income Statement, no division of income sources and no field on the Income Statement is clickable for a detailed report. Invoice and Expense pages are long with one arrow to the next page on the top and when editing an invoice or expense and saving, you are brought to the "1-50" page instead of the current page you were working on.

• Reviewed on 05/01/2017
Cj S.
Owner/Photographer
Photography
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2017

"Not perfect, but constantly improving and Customer Support is the best with super fast replys!"

Pros: I run a photography+subcontractor business. I've been with Zipbooks since before they started charging a fee (switched from freshbooks) and let me tell you, there were definitely some major growing pains. The good new is that they listened to the customers and would always solve problems quickly.
The gap between Zipbooks and Quickbooks/Freshbooks/etc.. used to be cavernous, but that gap is almost unnoticeable now. The interface is ridiculously easy to understand and flows really well. It's the best user interface experience I've had for accounting software.
Costumer service has been nothing short of impressive. I'm an accounting/bookkeeping newb and the customer support has basically trained me how to do my own accounting. They have this great chat button that's always in the bottom right corner so you can easily ask questions and get answers like if you were chatting with a friend on facebook messenger.
The company has a long way to go to being the best, but they certainly have the chops for it! I would high

Cons: The fact that I can't mark an invoice as paid from the list view. I don't like the extra step of clicking through to the individual invoice. But, it's a minor inconvenience.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2017
Enrique O.
Managing Consultant / Owner
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/07/2017

"Exceptional value to this cloud-based accounting software. Compared to many other popular solutions"

Comments: Saved on monthly unnecessary accounting fees using this service and the software fit my small business without having to worry about getting stuck with bells and whistles I didn't need.

Pros: Easy to use, Great Customer Service, Available when you need it, Accounting made easy and management of clients is great. Invoicing is a breeze, even on the fly. Swayed from Wave Accounting for Zipbooks time keeping feature and decided against Quickbooks because of its pricing structure.

Cons: Managing transactions is automated with your linked bank account. But, entering transactions manually is tricky. The user must keep a close eye on transactions so the software reconciles accurately. But, this could be relevant to any accounting software...

• Reviewed on 04/07/2017
Senior Marketing Consultant
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2019

"Great for a small business for accounting and invoicing"

Pros: I love the simplicity of ZipBooks and that it doesn't require a software installation. It has all the features I need to run my business without having to pay or wade through features I don't need.

Cons: Nothing so far. If my needs expand I can migrate to something more robust.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2019
Debbie F.
Program Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2018

"ZipBooks provided simple software and it grew with me - from free to inexpensive."

Comments: I started with accounting but now I use it for invoicing and time tracking. I can share with other users as well. Reports are easy to see and simple to use.

Pros: You don't need to be certified to use it! Unlike other accounting options :). It was easy to use, the reports were great and it helped for invoicing, time tracking and accounting.

Cons: They are still growing their integrations to work with other software and solutions so you can't connect with very many apps outside paypal, stripe, and wepay.

• Reviewed on 24/04/2018
Brian L.
Market Manager
  • Reviewed on 08/07/2018

"Use this app frequently to pass time and to get a nice read!"

Pros: Great app! They provide the best reads of the day, week and month. Working in NYC , very convenient to walk into a Barnes n Nobles and get a quick peak of today's best read.

Cons: Best reads are often repeated. On days I actually want to check out what to read and noticing it before is a turn off.

• Reviewed on 08/07/2018
Jason B.
Senior Systems Admin
Information Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2019

"Solid solution with great customer care"

Comments: I can’t imagine doing my billing without it. It’s easy to use, it has great functionality, and in the rare occasion I have problems, the support team is on point and engaged with a great attitude and ownership of the problem. Excellent job!!

Pros: It’s very easy to use with minimal issues.

Cons: 10 day turn around on payment of invoices

• Reviewed on 11/09/2019
Alessandra O.
Private consultant
Research, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2017

"Anytime i have an issue (usually me not being very technological) i get a professional solution!"

Comments: Accountancy in order

Pros: It would be crazy not to appreciate it!!!
It is of fundamental help for my work. I can create, edit, send, download an invoice from anywhere in the world with just my phone qnd few clicks. I used to have all invoice scattered everywhere in my personal computer, home computer. Now i have everything with me at all time

Cons: Maybe the renovation is too often so what happens is that you can't keep up with it all the time. This is the only thing

• Reviewed on 17/07/2017
Christopher M.
Freelance Developer
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2017

"ZipBooks gives me a simple, but powerful alternative to QuickBooks Online, at 1/3 the cost"

Pros: The interface is very modern, responsive, and easy to navigate. I moved from QuickBooks to ZipBooks due to a recent price increase, and I haven't looked back. It has most of the features from QuickBooks that I needed, plus I actually enjoy working in ZipBooks because the app just works.

Cons: It could allow a bit more invoice customization, like being able to set a NET-15 / NET-30 on a recurring invoice rather than it being due on receipt. Other than that, it's worked pretty well.

• Reviewed on 07/08/2017
Creative Arts Pastor
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/01/2018

"Gamechanger for how I do online coaching/consulting."

Comments: Streamlined my invoicing system.

Pros: At the end of this day, this has streamlined how I send invoices and receive payments, without having to think about the software. That's a win for me.

Cons: There are some aspects of the UI that feel a bit bloated and unnecessary. Could be streamlined some.

• Reviewed on 11/01/2018
Co-Founder & CEO
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2019

"Great For Basic Scenarios"

Pros: Easy to pull reports when I need them. Used to have bookkeepers as well

Cons: Can't easily do deferred revenue, so it's not ideal for SaaS where upfront payments are involved

by ZipBooks on 20/08/2019

Thanks for your review!

• Reviewed on 14/08/2019
David S.
Creative Manager
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2015

"ZipBooks has been super useful as my one-stop-shop for all my invoicing needs."

Comments: Pros: Very simple to use and intuitive. I'm amazed how easy they've made invoicing. Not to mention it's 100% free, which makes it a no-brainer choice for me. I've been impressed with the customer service and how quickly they've been adding features. ZipBooks is the invoicing tool of the future. Cons: There's still a few more features I'd like added, but they seem to release new stuff regularly so I know it's only a matter of time till everything I need is included in the software.

by ZipBooks on 23/11/2015

David,

Thanks for your patience on our feature release timeline. We won't let you down!

Chai L.
Freelance Graphic & Web Designer
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2018

"I love ZipBooks! Switched from QuickBooks and never looking back."

Pros: It has a free level without ridiculous limits, as well as a more robust premium version. It is beautifully designed, easy to use, and allows for people to keep detailed records easily.

Cons: The little upgrade messages can get in the way sometimes - if you click the wrong area, you might lose your invoice when it asks you to upgrade. Just a small bug, but pretty unpleasant.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2018
Karin H.
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2015

"Great product and easy to use"

Comments: I just learned about this product and so far I am pretty impressed by what it can do and the support level they offer for a free product.

by ZipBooks on 20/11/2015

Karin,

Let us know if you have any questions about the product. We would be happy to answer any questions about the specifics.

Thanks!

ZipBooks Team

• Reviewed on 20/11/2015
Francesco P.
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2016

"Very good and great potential"

Comments: It's really easy to use and it has a lot of potential.
I was using wave invoicing before but I switched to Zipbooks and I'm really happy with it.
The customer service is also great.
It lacks some features of the big players but they are growing fast and you will not be disappointed!

• Reviewed on 20/01/2016
Patrick M.

"ZipBooks - Awesome"

Comments: Great online accounting program. Best of all, it's free! This is one program where I would actually consider paying for it.

Vital V.
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2015

"The best value for zero price"

Comments: Ideal choice for small business.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2015
Diego L.
Owner, Chief Visionary
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2017

"I love ZipBooks! Easy to use, beautiful invoices, and a solid time tracker"

Comments: Saved time, beautiful invoices, reliable and integrated time tracker

Pros: I love the fact that I can set up and send an invoice in a few minutes, pulling in existing products and services (complete with description). The addition of a time tracker was unexpected and very appreciated! I use it to keep track of the hours spent on certain projects with those clients that prefer hourly payment over per-project pricing. ZipBooks also allows for past hours tracked that are unpaid to be automagically pulled into a new or an existing invoice, making it super simple to make sure everything is included in an invoice before sendoff. The invoices are simple, clean, beautiful and there is an "include PDF" option when sending out the invoice to clients (for those that prefer to print out and save their invoices). The customer support is phenomenal -- the support staff is friendly and helpful.

Cons: It's still a relatively new software, and I was one of the early adopters, so there were a few minor bugs and quirks in the past. The good thing is, most of the bugs are squashed, and the roadmap for the future of the app looks very bright!

by ZipBooks on 14/08/2017

Thanks for the great review, Diego. Glad you stuck it out with us!

• Reviewed on 14/08/2017
John M.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2017

"Great app for small business and freelancers accounting and bookkeeping"

Pros: I have been using Zipbooks since last year and I have enjoyed the ease of use. They clean interface is very appealing. Have basic project management with tasks. My most used feature is invoicing which takes away my need to send invoices via email. Expense tracking is also on point. So far I'm using Zipbooks as my default bookkeeping software. They were kind enough to extend a forever plan being an early adopter. Support team is very responsive.

Cons: Project management is very basic. I had to do a lot of manual work merging repeating transactions when I connected PayPal account and bank account since PayPal was pulling money from the bank. It would be nice to have a system that detects duplicate transactions. Changing a transaction that is attached to a paid invoice turned the invoice to draft even if the invoice was marked as paid.

by ZipBooks on 22/08/2017

John,

Glad you are loving ZipBooks. Also, thanks for the feedback on things we can improve!

• Reviewed on 22/08/2017
Joan J.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/01/2020

"Small Business Review"

Pros: Easy to use and very user friendly. Customer support is always fast and has a solution to most any problem I through their way.

Cons: I wish there was a way to export a formatted excel spreadsheet of reports or be able to print to a PDF (single-page) easier.

• Reviewed on 06/01/2020
Michael E.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2017

"Was GREAT, Recently VERY DISAPPOINTED"

Comments: Easy to use, you just cant get your money

Pros: Easy to use, no frills, perfect for small business. Makes the daily chore of bookkeeping fairly easy.

Cons: CAN"T GET YOUR PAYMENTS!!! this is the second time that my payments are not posting to my account. Customer service is responsive, but point the finger at their processor. that does not get me paid. My customers orders have been delayed because of a ZIPBOOKS issue. I have been waiting for my payments to be released for now in 12 days. This is completely unacceptable. They used to be completely free now they want you to upgrade and pay a monthly fee to use the advanced services, but suddenly can't process payments in a timely manner, or in my case at all. Just something to think about before you start using this service. If you NEED to get paid, might want to find another service.

• Reviewed on 21/06/2017
Andrew R.
Founder/President
  • Reviewed on 18/10/2018

"ZipBooks isn't what it seems"

Comments: Overall, if you are an individual looking for a cool interface to keep a general ledger, this is a cool system. It's absolutely NOT a system of businesses. As a small business, I simply can't afford spending hours trying to may a paid system work. In this day, software shouldn't need someone holding it's hand. There are better systems out there and well worth the larger cost. Hopefully this can save someone else from headaches. Move on, you'll be glad you skipped this system.

Pros: A beautiful interface with a clean layout gives you the first impression you are in an elegant accounting program. It also gives you step by step guides to connect banks and the progress of your connections. The ai is smart and will often correctly label your transactions.

Cons: The most major problem is, the software doesn't connect correctly to my Credit Union. It would show a balance of 3-4 past transactions, however have ALL the transactions in there. Working with customer service is annoyingly slow. Response times in my experience have been days and I am a paid member. Along with the responses are silly gifs some people may dig, but when you have a problem, it's downright insulting. After customer service realizing I was on an old system, they had it upgraded and wanted me to re-connect my Credit Union. As a result every transaction was gone! So years of balancing my business was vaporized. Thank god I didn't trust their customer service rep and exported everything prior to doing such a poor suggestion.

• Reviewed on 18/10/2018
Mary B.
Video producer
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2017

"I use for business and personal accounting actually."

Pros: Color coding, clean interface, simple to use so that I actually am able and motivated to keep up with my accounting. Love the option to outsource bookkeeping as I scale. Custom categories are really nice, too. Love ability to add docs to transactions and link transactions to certain clients.

Cons: I don't like that bulk-categorization was removed from free accounts without notice or at least a free trial of the next paid tier account so we could understand whether we should upgrade. I also don't like that there's no cash flow statement at this time under reporting.

by ZipBooks on 19/06/2017

Mary,

Thanks for the great feedback!

We are finalizing the details on providing early ZipBookers exclusive options from free forever to preferred pricing.

Regarding the specific feature of bulk categorization, I'll take a look at your account and see why you aren't able to use that.

Can you send your account details to [email protected]?

With regards to accessing our cash flow statement, if you set the income statement to "cash basis", you'll be all set!

Thanks!

Brad

• Reviewed on 14/06/2017
Kathleen N.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 01/06/2018

"No other way to go than ZipBooks - 100% Satisfied!"

Comments: Bookkeeping service available to me via chat. Wonderful Bookkeepers such as Karin to help me along. Categorization help, ability to have a business report readily available any day. I love this program.

Pros: Extremely easy to use interface. Live chat option with a bookkeeper, preset categorization, help every step of the way, ability to track EVERYTHING about my business.

Cons: No inventory tracking feature. I would love more freedom in setting up my invoices. I need more options because my products vary. Also no intergration with eBay. But I still love the software.

• Reviewed on 01/06/2018
Sarah K.
Executive Vice President
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2017

"Great Product"

Pros: Our nonprofit was looking for easy to use software for our accounting. Not only is this easy, it is nice to look at too. And all web based means no more downloads on my computer! Linking a bank account was very easy! The mobile apps help as well. Customer service responded in under 12 hours!!!

Cons: They only have an app for IOS, No Android app yet, however I was informed it will be here late summer! (very excited about that)

• Reviewed on 22/06/2017