• Overall

About STACK

Bid & Win More Profitable Work in Less Time with STACK! Cloud-based, Free Support/Training. Create Your Free Account Today!

Learn more about STACK

Filter reviews (1,162)

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used STACK before?

Filter reviews (1,162)

Jeff V.
Senior Estimator in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

I've tried the rest, Stack is clearly the best.

5 3 years ago

Comments: Over the last 15 years, I've been with 2 companies prior to my current and, at both, I encouraged the Owner to purchase Stack (Cloud Take-off previously). Most were hesitant due to ongoing subscriptions with other platforms but eventually I was able to get, at minimum, the take off program. I haven't tried the estimating version and would try it if I could ever get the time to sit down and populate all the different assemblies, vendor pricing etc. The other issue is purchasing something untried and untested to our company specifically tailored to how we function. I think an extended trial period for that training and tailoring to our needs might be enough to justify the upgrade.

Pros:

The greatest feature is the ease of use. They kept it simple for the take-off, genius on the auto-save. Of course, the cloud-based feature. No more bringing home the laptop, cables, plans, specs. Quick uploads and tons of memory for those large jobs.

Cons:

Had issues with Silverlight running on MAC in earlier versions. ( wasn't a huge deal and I believe when Stack took over they fixed the bugs). I'd like to see options when drawing a linear measurement to have various dashes or hashes for lines would be helpful. For example, on other platforms I could indicate through-wall cf with a red dotted line while below do a solid line indicating another linear measurement such as expansion joint. You would then be able to visually identify to different terminations on the same linear measurement. Just a suggestion.

John P.
Construction, Self Employed

Job Cost Estimating

5 2 years ago

Comments: I have literally increased my productivity by 1,000% I am doing 10-times more bids and with much greater accurracy, no one questions my take offs.

Pros:

The use of pop-ups when you "Mouse-Over" items is very effective, makes things very intuitive, lessens time-to-learn how to use the system.

Cons:

Need to have more than 50 characters when naming take-off items, at least 100 characters.

Reuben D.
Construction, 11-50 Employees

One of the best available software for estimating

5 5 years ago

Comments: Before I used stack ct, our company used an estimating system known to many; planswift. When we made the switch to stack ct about a year ago, I was suprised we hadn't switched before. The ease of use and ergonomical set up makes this cloud based system great for not only one, but many user to edit all at once. Even better, we upgraded about 2 months ago to the full Stack Pro and are now using the items and assemblies options. I can run a full job and have my estimate in under 30 minutes thanks to this awesome feature.
One of the main reasons I will be staying with stack is their level of customer service, no matter what the problem is, or the time you are having the problem, the service is top level and extremely helpful. So far, I have not had one problem they haven't been able to fix.
I would highly recommend this great product for any estimators looking to make their job more simple.

Pros:

Constant Upgrades, high level of customer service, user friendly and very detailed reports and takeoffs.

Cons:

You cannot copy an entire project. Also, you can't download all the plans at once. You are able to export marked up files but if you want to download the entire plans that you have uploaded (in case you deleted the original files) you will have to select each plan to download; very time consuming.

5 years ago

Hi Reuben, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of The Edgewood Co. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Jeremy S.
General Manager in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Stack has been a valuable asset to our growth in the past year.

5 5 years ago

Comments: We have had an amazing experience with stack, after what was really a short learning period do to its ease of use it allowed us to accomplish more estimates, faster, and with more accuracy. They say the one thing you may never be able to get more of is time, well perhaps software like STACK can change that.

Pros:

It is easy to use this is first and foremost because we have staff with different levels of comfort with computers. Next it is still powerful and allows us to get all the information we need for an accurate and confident estimate. With the information you generate in STACK you can do a very accurate estimate versus actual job cost at the end as well to see how you are doing and what areas of your business may need work or training.

Cons:

I do still wish we could have Profit and Overhead calculated and even take an estimate to its completion with an estimate writer, however I know these things are being looked at and I hope to see them soon.

5 years ago

Hi Jeremy, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Legacy Roofing and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Ryan M.

Review for STACK

5 2 years ago

Comments: Besides those 2 complaints it's a very functional tool that I spend probably 8-10+ hours on daily.

Pros:

The capability to pull any plan up from anywhere as long as I have internet connection. I have used it in several impromptu meetings with clients, Gc's, and our own crew. We aren't tethered to a specific computer source. A search tool in the plans makes finding the finicky details very easy.

Cons:

No overlay option for addendum's and no Arch tool which is just time consuming make a ton of little clicks.

Halie R.
Manager in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Very easy website to use, use it everyday.

5 4 years ago

Comments: The quickness of knowing the area of a floor plan. Very easy and time saving if I need to turn in a job ASAP.

Pros:

I like the simplicity of the software. How Easy it is to upload jobs. How you can filter through pages. My favorite thing is how alike the tools are to other computer programs (photo shop, etc) it makes it easy to learn and teach others.

Cons:

I wish it had a wider variety of tools, some actions seem unnecessary. My biggest problem is not being able to open a line again when it is closed. If by accident I double click to close a segment (which is very often) I have to restart the entire measurement instead of an easy action being there, like a back button. Also I wish I could change the scale of a certain area/page instead of having to delete and redo the entire thing, considering some of the measurements on blueprints can be wrong at times.

Kevin P.
Senior Estimator in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees

Awesome product, a full 5 stars!!!

5 5 years ago

Comments: As a manager of multiple Estimators, this program allows me to track progress, workflow and most important accuracy on every project. By being a cloud-based software, I can see when a job is completed from my home or office. Most importantly I can easily add or subtract necessary money to each and every project on time, every time. Without a doubt, this is the software your business needs!

Pros:

Love the takeoff aspect, very quick and precise.

Cons:

The menus can be a bit confusing. Report totals could be streamlined.

5 years ago

Hello Kevin, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We love hearing what users think of STACK Takeoff and Estimating software. We will be sure to relay your comments on your experience to the rest of the STACK team and look forward to supporting the unique growth and success goals of Preferred Insulation - now and in the future. Happy New Year!

Lindsey H.
Project Engineer in US

Overall Great Software

4 3 years ago

Pros:

Stack is user friendly. From the beginning, the customer service is helpful, offering screen share to navigate and train on the functions and uses. The program is very user friendly and works with ease. You can upload any documents you need and perform several takeoffs across an array of several projects. The quantity takeoff function is very easy to use with several options in color, scales, dimension lines, legends, highlighting, call outs, and text boxes.

Cons:

Sometimes the program can run a tad slow when trying to upload a large plan set or download the takeoffs to your desktop. Often, this problem resolves its self with a restart and if needed, customer service is happy and willing to help on their end as well.

Jeremy D.
Project Estimator | Business Development in US

Review of STACK Takeoff & Estimating

5 2 years ago

Comments: Love this system, would highly recommend to anyone looking for a takeoff and estimating software. You can't beat stack!

Pros:

This makes estimating as easy and as efficient as it will ever get. I like how the assemblies can all be run right through the system and then be exported into an excel. I also really like how this is a cloud system so I know I can access from any device and I also can know that all my work is being saved immediately.

Cons:

Our team has been experiencing glitches where the takeoff will abruptly end without having double clicked to end it. There also is no undo feature so when you make a mistake on a takeoff you have to delete it and redo the entire thing. There should be a ctrl z type undo feature.

Parker C.
President in US

Great software and easy to use.

4 4 years ago

Pros:

It is very easy to upload plans and spec documents. We like how we can name any measurement quickly for fast take offs. The newer options for pitched area and pitched linear measurements are right in our wheelhouse. We use it daily. It keeps us up to date on bid dates instead of having to use another calendar system.

Cons:

We would like to set saved measurement criteria sometimes instead of having to create them everyday for each new take off. For example... if we are doing a take off for a TPO roof we always measure flat area, perimeters, parapet cap, drip edge, various wall heights, etc. Customer support is a little slow sometimes. It seams like it's hard to get our 2nd license running right.

Roger Z.
Estimator in Canada

Beginner's Review of StackCT

4 3 years ago

Comments: We have a stucco siding company, the takeoffs on elevations is generally very straight forward, so we're thankful for that. It saves time, reduces errors, and being able to print those marked up takeoffs helps our guys on site when there's multiple materials being used on the walls. We will continue to use this product.

Pros:

The ease of use initially, getting a handle on the basic controls, how simple it is to input scales, draw lines, cut things out of takeoffs, and rename items as I go. The colour coding of separate takeoffs is a real plus.

Cons:

Periodic stalls, not sure if it's the program or internet related, but you measure an area and cannot complete the double click takeoff, it just sits, so you have to delete and redo. Again only sporadic, but annoying. Likely due to web based software. It would be nice to get emails sent periodically that contain tips, tricks, good ideas, links to tutorials, etc.

Jennifer M.
Controller in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Great for the inhouse estimator

4 2 years ago

Comments: I love the take-off software. I can do a take off on linear or area measurements in a relatively short amount of time and print out detailed or summary reports that I can add to job files for late reference. I also like the printing function that easily prints out only those drawings that I have done a take off on and I can add other drawings if needed.
I like that I can choose the colors for takeoffs so that I can uniformly use the same color and line thickness on a drawing to separate measurements like one color for exterior elevations and another color for doors and windows. I use the same colors for every project so that other people in my organization know exactly what each measurement is through its color code.

Pros:

I like the way the software splits up and organizes drawings and plans so that I can easily find what drawing page I am looking for.

Cons:

It freezes on occasion. I wouldn't say it freezes a lot, but I would say it freezes enough to notice it happens more than I would like.

Nicolas D.
estimator in Canada

CDpainting

5 2 years ago

Comments: Some Features are great , there is couple small thing we do prefer with planswift . Like exporting price to takeoff with doing assemblies

Pros:

It is an online platform comparing to other company that are not . The way to print-to-pdf a drawing with takeoff .

Cons:

Cannot put pricing on takeoff without doing assemblies

Todd H.
Operations Manager in US

Good product

5 3 years ago

Comments: There's no additional input section, but I'd really like to see a pdf search feature on here. Some of your competitors have that, and that's incredibly valuable in the construction world to be able to search key words and avoid missing fine details in the bidding process. Please add this feature so I don't have to go back and forth from Adobe!

Pros:

SUPER user friendly! I'm relatively tech-savvy, but I had never used a take-off software that I could be proficient with in less than an hour of playing around with it by myself with no tutorial. A great selling point for you and your team.

Cons:

The new patch to increase upload speed messed with the rendering process. I haven't been able to use the pdf's as soon as they're uploaded because I can't read anything when I zoom in. It does clear up in time, but that is an inconvenience I have to deal with momentarily. This wasn't initially the case when I first got this software, so I'd rather have a slower upload and ready to use right away, than have to wait some unknown time period for the rendering to finish.

Scott M.
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Very easy to pick up. I learned Oasis Takeoff in college. STACK was easy to adjust to.

4 5 years ago

Comments: Makes me much more efficient at my job.

Pros:

It's easy to stay organized and sort takeoffs to fit my needs. It's very easy to learn and to use. I really like the calendar on the beginning screen that sorts projects. I also like the geometry takeoff summary report that makes it very easy to see the measurement of each takeoff and to locate where each takeoff is at.

Cons:

It glitches from time to time. And it usually takes multiple tries to upload plans 20 MB or more. Large projects are nearly impossible to upload unless each sheet is it's own file.

5 years ago

Hi Scott, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Steel Sales Inc. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Guilherme A.
Project Estimator in Canada
Building Materials, 201-500 Employees

Awesome software for estimating your jobsite.

5 2 months ago

Comments: 5 stars!

Pros:

Super easy to use. This software made our takeoff production increase the quality and precision. Customer are super satisfied for the quality of our services. Thanks to Stack. :)

Cons:

When you create a lot of itens when you are working in your takeoff the site suffers a little bit.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Excel and Autodesk Construction Cloud

Chris B.
Lead Estimator in US

Best in Class

5 4 months ago

Comments: Estimating

Pros:

The application is very intuitive and user friendly so it is easy to learn and use. It feature like line snap and Arc drawing along with the crosshair make drawing out the rooms super easy. The ability to assign custom names and room numbers to each room takeoff gives us the ability to have all the information for the proposal in one place. The custom takeoff reports that can be exported as excel documents makes the data transfer into our home grown excel bidding document effortless. The web based app can be used on any PC that can install google chrome and the uploads are fast.

Cons:

There are not many things that I do not like about this app. The slow rate that requested changes are handled is out biggest complaint.

Max V.
Supervisor in US

Best Money I have spent in years

5 4 years ago

Comments: Stacks Pro has changed my business in a way that I can still have my small staff work smarter and not harder and keep up with the demands of our contractors. Bids are in days ahead of time and gives me time to see if I am in the running to win project or adjust to have the better chance of winning. Thanks STACKS

Pros:

The program is easy to use and I have not had to spend more money on staff or paper prints. Things are organized for future reference and so if changes are needed it is as simple a click of the mouse. I can run though multiple plans a day and click back and forth with projects with no problem. Projects that I have submitted months ago, I can go back and update my pricing.

Cons:

I Don't Know. Everything I needed STACKS to do, it has done and then some. Keep Up the good work in improving.

Remie B.
Estimator in Canada
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Ease of use and very good support system (dont really need it)

5 3 years ago

Comments: Ive used other software over the past years, and I fully recommend that if you need a software that delivers almost everything that you need to work does take off and estimate efficiently, then I would suggest that you should use Stack. They have everything covered and they understand construction.

Pros:

Mac and windows - Adding items and customizing assembly are so easy. Export to excel spreadsheet is also very easy to do. If you use dual screen, you can also open another Stack screen

Cons:

Hmmm. Should have the ability to round off quantities. Can't buy 1.8 gallons so I have to round it manually to 2 to get accurate cost.

Evan M.
Irrigation Designer in US
Wholesale, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Easy to use, but loaded with features.

4 3 years ago

Comments: Stack has been a great addition to our estimating process. We are able to train new estimators easily and quickly which has been great for the ROI of the product. Stack has always been quick to take care of any issues are users experience and is always improving the product. The software does everything we need and even more for other trades that have vertical estimates. The value of the product is great.

Pros:

The ease of learning this takeoff software is great. It doesn't take long to understand and utilize most of the features. Easy to train new users and very little training is needed before new users can become fully productive. The support is great and Stack is always improving all aspects of the software.

Cons:

I would like to see a few more symbols added for counts. For my trades of irrigation and landscaping, a wide variety of symbols makes for an easier review, but this is a small thing compared to the many pros of the software.

Sam C.
SR Project manager in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Use from out of town....

5 5 years ago

Comments: This last week I was traveling for a training session, yet still had a few take-offs that needed to be done. The ease of turning on the computer and logging in from another state, completing my take off, and sending out proposals, helps me tremendously, besides being able to complete take-offs from Home at night. Thank you !!!

Pros:

always available

Cons:

communication and training

5 years ago

Hi Sam, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Waukegan Roofing and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Kenneth L.
Estimater in US
Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 11-50 Employees

Clear Image

4 5 years ago

Comments: Stack Works great for getting the job done for estimating. Your team could get back to us quicker on changes that could be made to your program or at least let us know what's going on with the ideas that would make working on your program easier

Pros:

the simplicity of working daily to do take offs and complete what I need to price jobs

Cons:

I don't like that we cant move the tabs around on the top after we open the plans

5 years ago

Hi Kenneth, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Clear Image and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Dave G.
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Awesome estimating software. Highly recommended.

5 2 years ago

Comments: Thanks to stack, we are able to get more flooring bids out in less time. We are getting our bids out 3x as fast as our previous methods. I use it every day, and couldn't imagine doing my job without this software.

Pros:

This software is always improving and provides the tools to get a quick and accurate estimate. I like how we are given the tools to stay organized and customize our experience. I especially like the newest improvement, the ability to create new folders within stack to help separate our pages and make things that much easier. Since we are able to get our bids out so much quicker with stack, I feel like the value of this program is very high. I recommend Stack to anyone in the estimating business.

Cons:

Stack has actually updated their software to cover a lot of my initial complaints and seems to be always improving.

Gary L.
President in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Works great for our needs.

5 5 years ago

Pros:

Very easy to use to take off any size project. I like that you are always upgrading with new features.

Cons:

Speed when moving between projects would be nice if it was faster. occasionally we have trouble sending our drawing to pdf for print outs.

5 years ago

Hi Gary, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of K & L Contractors, Inc. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Todd D.
President, managing partner in US
Mining & Metals, 11-50 Employees

Stack efficiency

5 2 years ago

Comments: This software has given us a competitive advantage in securing bid opportunities.

Pros:

The software is intuitive and efficient.

Cons:

It is cumbersome to add specificity to the measurements, such as specific brick or stone dimensions for different coursing.

Alternatives Considered: Bluebeam Revu

Reasons for Switching to STACK: Stack provided our needs and customer service was exceptional.