15 years helping British businesses

About Teachable

Create online courses and coaching services. Control your branding, student data, messaging and pricing all from one place.

Learn more about Teachable

Pros:

I've mostly used Teachable as the student, not the teacher. It seems to integrate with websites nicely and is easy to enroll in the courses.

Cons:

Payout options may a problem for subscribers from outside the USA.

Teachable ratings

4.2
3.9
4.1
3.8

7.0/10

Teachable has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 169 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Teachable before?

Marilyn "M.E."
Marilyn "M.E."
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Teachable Moments

Comments: Overall Teachable solved a revenue issue for us! We needed a place for people to go and purchase out products and downloadable services without having to start from scratch - which is quite costly - and Teachable allowed us to do that. It help us generate necessary revenue with ease.

Pros:

Teachable is very user friendly. I am not a very technically inclined person and this program gave me the ease I needed to set our digital classroom. AT the time we began using the company could not afford more than $100 a month and Teachable was very affordable for out small nonprofit.

Cons:

I would say that my least favorite aspect of Teachable is or was the design templates, although they recently upgraded this feature and you can do a few more fancy things to your store and landing page.

Aimee Rebekah
Aimee Rebekah
Director in US
Alternative Medicine, 2–10 Employees

Loved it at first! BUT, so many limits to functionality I switched to new platform within 3 months

Comments: When I first started with teachable I had an amazing experience. I loved the on boarding process that they put you through. Once I started building my courses at first it was positive because it's very simple to start. However, once I got a little deeper into my process I realized that there are many limitations to this platform that required me to do workarounds. For example:1. They have the ability to create a quiz but that quiz can only be multiple choice and the multiple choice can only have one correct answer. Therefore, the assessments are very limited you can't have students reflect with writing in their own words or you can't have any other type of question other than multiple choice. I had already created quizzes in another tool that I was using because I was already teaching courses before I started Teachable so I just linked those quizzes to Teachable.2. Teachable also doesn't integrate with SCORM which is a type of interactive course building file which is really state of the art. I use a tool called Articulate 360 and it allows you to create interactive courses/lessons and most LMS platforms integrate with SCORM and tools like Articulate 360, but Teachable does not.3. You cannot see the results of assessments unless you are on the highest tier, which is $120+4. You cannot have discussions with students unless you are on the highest tier.

Pros:

Teachable really sold me with their marketing about how easy the platform was to use and with their webinars that really walk you through the course creation process. I really appreciated the education that they give you at the beginning of the on boarding process and that was really valuable even if the tools themselves ended up being very limited for my needs.

Cons:

Between the time that I signed up and I decided to leave this platform the price more than doubled for hosting the courses that I was hosting. In addition to this, when you compare Teachable to the other platforms that are available out there; specifically, learnworlds, which is a platform I decided to go with, there's so many limits to their functionality that it's really difficult to run a course that is training students and in a process that needs to be evaluated. I think if I was just teaching for fun this might be a good platform for me but my students are moving through a process that needs to result in demonstrated mastery and the ability for me to present the information to them in an interactive way and the ability for them to complete evaluations and assessments with in the actual platform is really limited.

Nicole
Owner in Netherlands

Roadmap Development Slow!

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: My experience was Teachable was good, but the price I found a stickler knowing that their roadmap for improvements was slow. This ultimately drove me to try out the competitor. I still have the free tier, in the event I want to go back one day. Which I may, it depends on pricing and roadmap.

Pros:

I bought it at the beginning of the pandemic in spring of 2020. At the time it was best in class.

Cons:

The aesthetics, after so many years, for there to be no improvement here, I find unforgivable.

Natalie
Product Design, Director in UK
Design, Self Employed

Teachable vs Competitors

3.0 last month New

Comments: I really enjoyed it, although setting up pages was a bit frustrating. I left because I needed a platform were I could grow with an affordable PRO plan. Nowadays, I could recommend many platforms that offer more consistent plans, from Patreon to Learnworld, Freshlearn etc.

Pros:

Seemed easy to set up and discount. Many competitors were more expensive. in 2020 there weren't many similar platforms.

Cons:

Raising cost and removal of features from plans. Customer support became rare. AfterI downgraded from Pro to Basic, I lost access to the "Founders" community which was the best part of Teachable, as you feel very supported by other founders.

Public Safety, 2–10 Employees

Teachable--- Hosting Your Online Classes

Comments: My overall experience with Teachable has been very positive. Responsive customer support, improved features, and excellent onboarding training. My only frustration is the inability to auto-schedule blog posts.

Pros:

I've been a Teachable user for a few years (I was a user when the name was Fedora). Since then, Teachable has been one of the most mentioned names for online course creators. One of the things I like best about Teachable is how easy it is to use the platform. In a matter of time, you can create an online course, including curriculum and media. This is super convenient for both the novice online course creator and the more experienced ones. It's a time saver!

Cons:

Since 2019, the blog feature of being able to auto-schedule posting has not worked. I've placed support tickets to address the issue, but as of this writing (Feb 2020), the feature still isn't working. I write blog content well in advance and was able to schedule blog posts with ease. Now I have to set a reminder to go into my Teachable account to manually post the blog. This is not ideal.

Nick
Nick
Founder in US
Online Media, Self Employed

Simple and Reliable Online Course Hosting Option

Comments: Overall, my experience has been positive. I've created 4 courses on the platform so far.

Pros:

Teachable makes it easy to put your online course(s) up for sale without having to worry about separate video hosting or payment processing. You also don't have to worry about managing customer logins to your own website for security since all that happens on Teachable's system. It's easy to upload content and create your curriculum, and it's nice that you can start with a pre-made template for sales pages and checkout pages, rather than having to create all that from scratch.

Cons:

If you're not making many sales, it can be hard to justify the ongoing monthly expense. The login system is surprisingly frustrating and confusing, especially if students have enrolled in previous courses or if you yourself have enrolled in other Teachable-hosted courses. At one point I had 10+ logins, but I've slowly been able to consolidate those under one master account.

Cushi
Cushi
owner in Bermuda
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

A good solution for e-courses, but not the easiest to learn

Comments: It definitely does the trick. I set my online course up and created my sales page reasonably quickly considering I'd never used the software, or any e-course software before.

Pros:

I love the aesthetics and the User Interface. It's all very clean and feels comfortable. I like the simplicity of the sales page builder as well, although I'd like it more if it were more custmizeable with options like more fonts, and different layouts.

Cons:

The flow between webpages is super awkward and it was sometimes hard to find the page I was looking for. Every time I go to do anything, it opens a new tab. The over all user experience just felt unnatural to me.

Filip
Filip
ceo in Italy

A complete LMS platform

Comments: We like teachable for easy and fast delivery courses

Pros:

A complete LMS platform, a lot of features and custom designs you can use, you can actually build the whole website using teachable with the e-learning part integrated into it

Cons:

The price, it's really high, of course, you can use it for free but the commissions are high

Steve
Steve
Founder in Australia

A great online course platform that's improving all the time

Pros:

My favourite thing about Teachable is it 'just works' out of the box. Most of its functionality is intuitive and it doesn't try to add a million features that most people won't use. It's a software tool that knows what it is and who it's for. It makes it very easy to make a good looking site and get a course up for sale. Anyone can get started and be able to do most of what they need to be able to do to create a profitable online course business easily.

Cons:

The drawback is in that final 5%. It's easy to make a good looking site, but not easy to make an amazing looking site. I have in the past had some issues with their affiliate system and with their support staff, but to be fair this was in late 2016 and they have made big improvements since then. I would like to see them roll out new features more consistently so that their users are on the cutting edge of online course technology rather than just slightly behind. Teachable is also best for people that don't want to integrate multiple tools. This is also a good thing as it stays focused, but I think it's worth noting here as a potential user should consider that what they get with Teachable is what they get. Don't start using it expecting to link it with a forum later if you don't love how their commenting system works (for example).

Hemal
CEO in Malaysia
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Overall, my experience has been great.

Pros:

Overall, my experience has been great. I started using with Free plan, it's is super easy to use for non techy. This is the best for course creators who have >=5 course. Resources are really helpful.

Cons:

Sometime getting system errors (slow), expensive but anyone can start with Free or Basic plan.

Yevstakhii
Teacher in Ukraine
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

My expirience of use Teachable

Comments: I have positive experiences with Teachable. I appreciate the ability to easily create and customize courses, add multimedia elements like videos and quizzes, and brand their course websites.I also like Teachable's marketing and sales features, which make it easier to promote and sell courses directly through the platform. The ability to offer discounts and promotions, create custom landing pages, and track conversions and sales data can be particularly useful for course creators who are looking to increase their reach and revenue.However, as I mentioned earlier, some users have also reported issues with Teachable's pricing, payment processing, and design customization options. It's important to carefully evaluate these potential drawbacks and limitations before deciding whether Teachable is the right platform for your specific needs and goals.

Pros:

Teachable has user-friendly interface and intuitive course creation process. This allows me to easily organize and structure my content, add multimedia elements like videos and quizzes, and customize my course's branding and design. This ease-of-use can be particularly beneficial for individuals who may not have technical expertise or experience with online course creation.Another aspect that I appreciate is Teachable's marketing and sales features. With tools like coupon codes, affiliate programs, and upselling options, I can promote and sell my courses directly through the Teachable platform. Additionally, the platform integrates with email marketing services like Mailchimp, making it easier for course creators to communicate with their students and potential customers.

Cons:

Teachable is expensive for me, and it will be especially expensive for users with large student bases or multiple courses. While Teachable offers a free plan with limited features, users need to upgrade to a paid plan to access more advanced features such as graded quizzes, custom domain names, and more detailed analytics.Another issue that I have is that Teachable's built-in website builder can be somewhat limited in terms of design customization. While I can add my branding and customize some elements of my course website, I unable to make more extensive design changes without the assistance of a developer.

Jacqueline
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Worst customer service I have ever encountered

Pros:

Easy to use, easy to upload product and host course

Cons:

There is no way to reach someone by phone. The only way is email. After submitting an email, a week will go by and no one will answer. You will submit another email requesting an answer and they will reply with an emailing asking for information they had already requested in order to submit the initial help email, or what they refer to as a “support ticket”. You reply with those details a second time, and a week goes by and there is still no answer. You email them again begging for an answer and still no answer a week later. It has been a month, no answer and no way to contact anyone. Most their “help” button lead you to a broken link. Their online chat support is never turned on When trying the ethics link, to report this bad customer service, they put the entire page in another language so you do not know how to report anything. The only way to contact someone is if you want to sign up with teachable and pay an outrageous amount a month to have them host your course, keep a large amount of your sales, and keep a portion of each sale for 60 days. This is possibly the worst company you could ever sign up with to host your course. Never choose them!!!!

Griffin
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

BUYER BEWARE! Unlimited Plan is a LIE!

Comments: All seemed fine for the most part as we got setup. We had reached out to their team to check on getting setup on their API and warned them we expected 5,000+ customer during a 5 day time period to be added to their platform. They said that sounded fine and bragged about how they had customer much larger than us with many more customers added in a 5 day period so should be no problem. We had our sale, we added 8,200+ users to the platform and then we immediately (even before the sale was over) got an email asking for a phone call. On the call they let us know they were happy we were successful as their mission is to help creators, but, sadly, in our case we were too successful. They gave us an ultimatum of pay them 1% of future revenue, use their checkout, or be evicted in a little more than 1 month. We tried to negotiate the percentage of revenue but they would not work with us. We tried to see if we could pay for some of the bandwidth overages, but they were not interested in working with us. We asked them if they would just honor their unlimited plan for the 12 months we had already pre-paid, but they were not interested in doing that either. We asked them to give us the data from the system of Courses and Lessons completed per user so we could transition our 8,200+ customers as smoothly as possible, but they would not provide the data.

Pros:

Software is OK. Company is untrustworthy.

Cons:

No file security on downloads Unlimited Plan is NOT Unlimited [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] unwilling to honor promises of Unlimited Plan We were forcibly evicted along with our 8,200+ customers!

Suzanne
Writer in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

I would like to like it more

Comments: The organization and the platform set up are good. The login process is seriously flawed.

Pros:

I like that you can track where you are in the course and easily download resources. I like how easy it is to have the lessons structured in a logical manner, and to have different types of resources available to students.

Cons:

When I see a course that I want to sign up for that is housed on Teachable, I groan. I know it is going to take me several minutes to be able to actually start consuming the course, because even though I already have a student account, it is going to ask me to verify my sign-in. This is even though I get my login info correct. No matter what, I always have to verify my login, and either type in a code or click on a link in an email that I have to wait for. It shouldn't be this hard, and if you are signing in on a previously used device, you should not have to go through the same sequence as you need to if you are using a new-to-Teachable device. At the very least, there should be an option to not have to verify the sign-in for two to four weeks.

Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

I'd recommend this

Comments: I love using Teachable, but have a lot of trouble getting others onboard to use it since it has less features than other programs.

Pros:

* I love how easy it is to make an online course * I love having a branded course and they make it easy

Cons:

* I don't like how every Teachable course looks identical minus the colour scheme and logo. * I wish it wasn't so obvious I use Teachable over other softwares

Twanna
Business Coach in US
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

Great customer support but…

Comments: I didn’t like holding funds for a period of time and the fees.

Pros:

I love the customer support and how long you are able to try out the platform before making a commitment.

Cons:

I wanted to love and use this platform but it was not user friendly and some of the policies didn’t sit well with me.

Brian
Online marketer in Singapore

Teachable got a steady & reliable platform where I can share my knowledge and expertise with others.

Comments: Self hosting from Teachable. You don't need to have your own sites, which saved a lot of time in putting up a course online to start marketing and selling.

Pros:

Modern and simple interface to work with. Everything is self-explanatory. But there are also plenty of help links and tips in the interfaces to guide you as well. You can also email support for help. You can create an online course hosted on Teachable servers once you have all your content readily created and uploaded. By content, I mean docs, guides, links to videos or actual videos to be uploaded themselves and images. Everything is intuitive for me to explore and experiment. Teachable has got a standard templating system which I found to be simple and easy for me to set up a course at my own time own target.

Cons:

The only con is the pricing! It's going to be expensive to sustain for a year which you can get all the premium features plus all the bundle up training courses that Teachable offers. To maximise your value for money, you may sign up for a paid account during their promotional period, which are usually from the free webinars.

Rune
Rune
Marketer in Norway
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Teachable, a platform for selling your courses

Comments: I have used Teachable for years. It is one really simple solution for putting products out there, online, without much time wasted, or headaches. I can totally vouch for it and it is used by many serious players because it works so good.

Pros:

I love teachable. It makes it wasy for any user to add a product and sell it online. Compared to a lot of other self hosted solutions, Teachable makes it easy to start with selling right out of the bat. Just add your content, and adjust a few tweaks, add price. And voila, information product for sale, without you needed to know any coding or any website creation knowledge.

Cons:

I don't have much to say in the negative about this platform. It plain and simple works, and has good fees. Only think I can think of is better design control. If they add that and also some conversion boosters that might be a thing to note, which I thought was missing.

Education Management, 11–50 Employees

No 1 platform for our online video courses

Comments: We run about 10 video courses on Teachable. So far there is no better alternative for us.

Pros:

Teachable is good both for the schools (authors) and students. The platforms has everytyng you need to run your online video course. Very cheap, all content is protected, multiple integrations and options allow easely scale the school.

Cons:

Visual editor for creating the pages could have more blocks for sophisticated designs. Payout options may a problem for subscribers from outside the USA.

robin
owner in Canada
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Never buy this product

Comments: Pretty bad, the software is fine, but if you have any problems with your account, payouts, software glitches or anything really they are 90% of the time unhelpful. It's like they don't care that you are a customer that's paying for their product. Frequently, I'll be in the middle of troubleshooting a problem by email with them and they'll just stop responding. DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE or you will lose your mind like I have. Also if you are an international company that doesn't work in USD, they aren't really set up to deal with other currencies well. I've set up 6 courses on teachables, but I'm going to move them all to Thinkific this year.

Pros:

It was pretty easy to set up your course, add video etc. I liked the courses on marketing/etc that they sent out weekly to join for free.

Cons:

Not very customizable, customer experience is just okay. Many were confused as to how to login etc initially. No autosave of your work, I lost hours to a system glitch where you press enter and it just deletes your course text and there's no autosave to backup to.

Nataliia
Ukraine

Easy to use, well organized platform for learning

Pros:

What I like most about Teachable is that this platform is well organized and its structure courses so simple that couldn't be down in any other way better. I like that it counts my learning progress in the upper left corner. And I like that Teacher lessons show what data it contains like video, a document to download, pictures etc. Nice feature when I'm going through the course the lessons that I went through I marked completed and that's why I know exactly where I left my learning process. Also, one of the greatest differences of the platform is that interface which allows you to focus on the main thing - learning the course and there is nothing that will bother you or took your intention away from it. Just press the fullscreen button and start learning. No interfering elements are involved.

Cons:

Cons... I cannot think of any of it right now, because I don't see them. I don't use Teachable platform for distributing my own content just as a learner when I enrolled in somebody else course, but I know for a fact that Teachable despite its simplicity and well-organized structure also provides its own web host, payment processor and if you will put your free course on teachable it will not take any fees from you for peoples enrollments.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

The Ultimate Platform for Creating and Selling Online Courses

Pros:

Teachable has been an absolute life-saver for me. As a business coach, I needed a platform that could help me create and sell online courses quickly and easily. Teachable has done just that! It's incredibly simple to use and has allowed me to make money teaching my skills in no time. Teachable is the ultimate platform for creating and selling online courses - highly recommended!

Cons:

I am unable to identify any negative aspects at this time.

Stefanos
Cloud consultant in Greece
Computer Software, Self Employed

Teachable review

Comments: Teachable was one of the first online learning platforms which I got introduced to. I am now using it for creating courses of folk and traditional dances and distribute these courses to people all over the world.

Pros:

Teachable provides sufficient course creation, marketing and analytics tools even in its free pricing plan. It also allows for full branding of the online course pages by utilizing custom HTML/CSS.

Cons:

Since this is a hosted service, it is good to know that Teachable is managing everything for the creator but at the same time there is not much transparency as to which and how many resources (server CPU power, memory, network bandwidth, CDN) are being utilized. In my opinion, if this information was included in each pricing plan, the creators would be able to better match their course creation requirements with actual hardware resource levels.

Carol
Adjunct Instructor in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Good Customer Service and Training

Comments: I love the webinars; they keep me motivated. You won't receive as much one on one unless you choose the more expensive platform.

Pros:

It is easy to use and they provide lots of webinars and training. The training is not only focused on user interface, but also entrepreneurial skills.

Cons:

Not much. It could be cheaper. I like that they have a three-tiered program but even these could each be cheaper. Maybe a payoff in the end for the company would be a better strategy.

Gene
Aviation & Aerospace, 2–10 Employees

Best Platform I Found

Comments: There is only a small learning curve. It is possible to be up and running quickly. The platform seems to be very stable.

Pros:

Flexibility and ease of use is excellent. The pricing model works best for our purposes.

Cons:

Lack of graded quizzes with out moving into a more costly plan.