15 years helping British businesses

About Invoice Ninja

Create. Send. Get Paid. Invoice Ninja is the leading small-business platform to invoice, accept payments, track expenses & time tasks.

Learn more about Invoice Ninja

Pros:

Easy to use, self-explanatory user interface and data model, API for integration with existing business applications.

Cons:

There is one or two missing features that are key for me (combined currency income for example), but those are coming with the soon to be released next major version.

Invoice Ninja ratings

4.7
4.5
4.6
4.8

9.2/10

Invoice Ninja has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 163 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Invoice Ninja before?

Trevor
Trevor
Owner / Coder in Australia
Internet, Self Employed

The Best All Around Solution

Comments: Invoice Ninja is the invoicing solution I've always needed! Finally! But it's not just invoicing, it easily enables me to track my time, my income and my expenses as well (plus you can do even more with it if you want!). And it does this all at a very fair and affordable price for this sector. Many of the competitors are simply over priced, especially for sole traders that don't do a ton of business. It's also amazing that it is both powerful and easy to use. If you don't need to do much with it, then you can very quickly just get invoicing. For those who like to tinker and tweak or need more functionality, then it can do that too. It's rare to find both ease of use and powerful customization together.

Pros:

Very easy to use and setup, yet at the same time the flexibility and functionality exceeds all other options I've tried in this sector.

3 years ago

GREAT REVIEW!!! Thank you so much for your kind words and taking time to share! We're glad to have you as part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Nipon
Nipon
Executive Director in Bangladesh
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A great billing and invoicing app for FREE!

Comments: I found it really useful. Highly recommend for small businesses and freelancers

Pros:

They offer a plan for free forever which is best for startups, small businesses and individuals who doesn’t want to spend money for invoicing yet. Easily integrable with most e-commerce solutions. You can fully brand the whole thing by paying only a few dollars per month. You can use their server or host it yourself on yours easily without having any programming skills. Also they. Offer a easy to use mobile app which makes invoicing mobile

Cons:

Most payment processors like PayPal offer invoicing app for free.

2 years ago

Thank you for your great review!

Bridgette
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Invoice Ninja chops the competition!

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Invoice Ninja is a wonderful software. It has several payment gateways including Stripe and paypal. The software also offers unlimited invoices and customers can even make partial payments.

Cons:

I dont have any complaints at this time.

2 months ago

Thank you very much for your feedback & 5 star review!!!

Kimberly
Conference and Event Services in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Worst Customer Service

Comments: Invoice program is easy to use, but it's a bare bones program. We were fine with what they offered, and I made it work. However, the customer service is ultimate failure. Every year there is an error - and if they do not agree with what you are saying they "downgrade" your account to a free account so you have no access to your records. Be careful with using your card, as they run payment without authorization.

Pros:

Ease of use of this product. HOnestly can't say more as I'm just filling the "40" min count right now.

Cons:

Missing so many features, mobile payments and online payments not offered

last year

This account user mailed us a paper check via postal mail 1 month after the Pro account expired for non-payment. We were unable to keep them upgraded to a Pro plan until the paper check was received by postal mail. This user was quite upset. We asked them to simply pay online, they were unable.

Alberto
Founder in Colombia
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

An Amazing Invoicing Software that Will Leave You and Your Clients in Awe

Comments: Invoice Ninja is an invoicing software that can make your business look that much more professional. For the small price tag, you get a very powerful, fully customizable system that will make your invoicing headaches disappear. We have linked Stripe and Authorize.Net to it with a simple copy and paste of the payment gateway key and within minutes we were charging customers. I highly recommend Invoice Ninja!

Pros:

InvoiceNinja is extremely easy to use for both your team and clients. It allows for you to create customizable and nicely designed invoices and quotes. You can customize the messaging sent in email communications. It also gives your clients their own portals to manage their accounts.

Cons:

Reoccuring invoices can be difficult to use and understand how they work. Also, when sending quotes they valid dates seem to end the day before in the evening and clients cannot accept the pricing sent so a new quote must be sent. There is also a lack of direct customer support and instead provide a knowledge base.

5 years ago

Thank you very much for your support & high recommendation! If you every need any support or have questions, we're at your service! Thanks again!

Jonathan
Chief Narrative Officer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Free Invoice Solution - No More Excuses

Comments: Incredibly helpful and uncorked a big bottleneck for getting my business started. Also powerful enough to continue to use even beyond the startup phase.

Pros:

The amount of work it took off my plate. I didn't have to pay someone to send invoices or struggle with PDF templates, Google doc formatting, or other bloated invoice software.

Cons:

The Invoice Ninja messaging is a little low budget, but I also know INC 5000 companies that use the free version. It's really a matter of preference.

2 years ago

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback! Welcome to the Invoice Ninja community!

Dennis
CEO in Philippines
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

Gets the job done!

Pros:

InvoiceNinja works out-of-the-box. It's easy and reliable and specifically designed for freelancers and SMEs.

Cons:

Would love to see integration for platforms such as Payoneer and QuickBooks for payment requests and accounting. However, I understand that the lack thereof is probably more of an issue with respective providers. The proposal editor could use a rework as well to make it more intuitive.

3 years ago

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being apart of the Invoice Ninja community! If you have any questions we're at your service!

Paul
Managing Partner in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use billing

Comments: Invoice Ninja makes it easy to keep track of delinquent Tenants

Pros:

Auto billing Tenants and emailing statements

Cons:

I really don't have any complaints; I find it easy to use

9 months ago

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review of Invoice Ninja! We appreciate your feedback!

Kenric
Kenric
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Awesome software for a small business

Comments: This is a helpful way for me to manage my company's invoices especially on the go. It is perfect for my self ran business.

Pros:

Easy to setup and use out of the box. Lots of information if you need help. Can create multiple companies and multiple users.

Cons:

The invoice preview wasn't working for me by default. I had to download every invoice to just see what I was sending. I googled a small and simple fix. I just had to disable a setting and previews worked as expected.

4 years ago

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and having you on board, thank you! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Invoice ninja is a simple and easy to use basic accounting tool

Comments: It's easy to start and use even if it has limited functionalities. It also have a self hosted version

Pros:

It has all the tools to start a small business

Cons:

It is easy to outgrow the functionalities of the product

Tobias
Owner / Founder in Australia
Computer Networking, Self Employed

Version 4 was a fantastic product. Version 5 migration was a desaster and the product is worse now.

Comments: Fantastic, until Version 5 has been forced onto customers.

Pros:

Version 4 had everything I needed as "one-man show" for my small IT business.

Cons:

I thought, awesome there is this new Version 5. Let's start early and get onto the new features it has. This decision not only cost me a lot of valuable time to fix lots of bugs of the "automated" Migration process itself, but also it finally cost me almost $700 of my income because of an unwanted (automated) email that went out to a customer unplanned and unwarned. The new design of Version 5 seemed more like a homage to a Google Developer's Database Tool than an actual helpful product for the daily business administration. It was a **** in the neck to say the least. And today, I open up my Version 4 (Yes, I moved back, what a surprise) and the system tells me, I am suddenly on a Free account and I have only until End of November 2022 to move on to Version 5. Well, thank you Invoice Ninja!! Looks like I'm gonna have to cancel my Enterprise License altogether then very soon. You gonna lose a former happy customer, but I guess - in the name of progress and for your own Developer's Happiness about their favourite new toy: Version 5, that's the way it's gonna go... "Sad to see you leave customer, who cares."

Terry
Computer Software, Self Employed

I have been using Invoice Ninja for years now

Comments: The customers pay me on time!

Pros:

This is free and open source invoice system. I have been using this for over two years and loved it! It is easy for my clients and me. It also helps my clients to understand what they owe and what the cost the products. I have used various payment gateways for this and have not had a single complaint from any of my clients. This software is highly recommended to anyone, and I have been telling my clients about Invoice Ninja for a long time. They do host your invoice, or you can do self-hosting. It works great along with WordPress or other CMS to add the buy now button or recurring invoices. I had used hosted by Invoice Ninja when I didn't have to host account or a place to host it, and now I am hosting it on my dedicated server. Whenever I have an issue with anything, they will respond to the email very quickly and help you fix the problems.

Cons:

There is not one single thing I do not like about this software. If I didn't like this software, I would have gone with another invoice system.

6 years ago

Great review! This sentence says it all: " customers pay me on time" that is our goal! Thank you so for our kind review, we're super happy that it helps you GET PAID!

Raymond
Owner in South Africa

Hands down the best value for money product we got for our business.

Pros:

This software has streamlined our interaction with our clients like no other product. I can't remember the last time a client phoned and asked us to send a statement. Clients ask us what software we are using. Everybody who uses it is pleased with it. Now that we have been using it for a while, there is real value in seeing all the transactions in one place. New features are constantly being added. Response from support requests are always promptly handled. I love Invoice Ninja.

Cons:

I honestly can't think of anything that I am not happy with. There are no negatives. When multiple contacts are loaded for a company, the one that was loaded first, is always the one shown on the invoice, even after a different contact was selected. A minor issue.

6 years ago

Thank you for your stellar review!

Marios
CEO in Cyprus
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Made for small and medium business that would like to easily create and manage the invoices

Comments: It's a great software, a real value for money, with many capabilities and very customizable.

Pros:

- Recurring billing was very easy to implement for all our subscriptions- Invoicing and billing is done with a click of a button to send invoice via email- Client's portal is very helpful to remind clients of their pending invoices without the need to resend everything again- Expenses tracking is very useful and easy to maintain and manage

Cons:

There are some minor issues on the development side, during the installation and updating of the Self-hosted version of the software. Even in this case, they company also provides hosted/cloud based subscriptions that eliminate this issue.

2 years ago

Great feedback! We love our self-hosting community, thank you for being an active member!

Tom
Technical Consultant in Australia
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Excellent software

Pros:

I was able to spin this software up within minutes and begin invoicing immediately. Software is highly customizable. Appreciate the open-source nature

Cons:

Australian reporting and integration is where it lacks, and I understand it is hard to integrate with everything but it would be a "nice to have".

4 years ago

Thank you for your fantastic review! We appreciate you being a part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Brad
Managing Director in UK
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Self-hosted option has incredible features - more than most invoice/project software in the market

Pros:

- Client portal - Invoice customisation - Clean, user-friendly design - Self-hosting option - Low price - No monthly cost for self-hosting - No restrictions apart from white-label logo removal - Loads of settings for invoices, quotes, clients and payments - Support for accepting multiple payment gateways for invoice payments and support for payment gateway fees - Ability to setup recurring invoices - Very comprehensive invoice/quote auto-emailing system

Cons:

- Currently no support for Dropbox or file sharing system - PHP 7 and Lavarel can be tricky for setting up self-hosting server - Currently no ability to customise admin area with own logo/branding - Mobile layout is a bit clunky and could have better navigation - No calendar or planning functionality - would be nice to have some Gaant Chart or milestone planning functionality that ties in with tasks

6 years ago

Thank you for your great review! We are just now relaunching our mobile apps, they're amazing, please reach out to us if you would like early access. Also, we are launching a new ticketing system that works with teams, this may be a great solution for you based on your comments. Thank you again, please let us know if we can assist any any way!

Ali
President in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Huge value for the price

Comments: On-time and easy payments from clients

Pros:

Love that Invoice Ninja is super easy to use and has a variety of valuable features. Additionally, the price is right!

Cons:

Wish it would integrate with Quickbooks, but even though it doesn't, it's value outweighs the costs of having to manually enter client payments.

7 years ago

Thank your for your review! If you use Quickbooks online you can integrate the apps using Zapier: https://zapier.com/zapbook/invoice-ninja/quickbooks/ Otherwise, maybe you can import/export the data. Feel free to email us for help.

Jonathan
Owner /Operator in US
Computer Networking, Self Employed

Open Source software empowers the small to operate at scale!

Comments: It’s been tough a couple times early on when it has messed up and all my customers notice but overall lately it’s been very good !

Pros:

It is something I can afford and it does all I need to operate the business.

Cons:

Sometimes it glitches between or in updates and I need higher support.

2 years ago

Thank you for your great review and constructive feedback!

Priyansh
Priyansh
Owner in India
Animation, 2–10 Employees

Made our tax compliance easy as pie!

Comments: InvoiceNinja is a minimally priced invoicing solution that perfectly fits our need to keep up with the taxation laws of India.

Pros:

We recently started using InvoiceNinja for our tax accounting and invoicing. - Our major headache of generating invoices manually was solved by InvoiceNinja as the whole process is fairly automatic once set up. - The free version was extremely useful as all the critical functions were readily available and we performed adequate testing before implementing it. - Tax rate settings were easy to set up, as it is complicated to set up all the Indian CGST, SGST and IGST tax slabs. - PDF creation is another feature that was the deciding factor. - We also had the option for charging gateway fees that we set up to offset transaction fees charged by RazorPay. - The best thing is that its interface was easy to learn and we also set up automations linked with it.

Cons:

- Navigation is bulky and confusing, could have been made better. - There are glitches present and you need customar support to fix them. - Recurring invoices are hard to set up. That's pretty much it.

2 years ago

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and your important feedback about UI! We are always working to improve and have a MAJOR UI/UX update coming soon!

Juan
Mobile Developper in Spain
Computer Software, Self Employed

The overal experience its been very successful over the last 2 years I been using the product.

Comments: A central database with clients and providers, invoices, estimates, payments .
they have a mobile app and also a time tracking software.

Pros:

Excellent product, the support its awesome. My experience in general its very grateful, tried several invoices system but this has just what I need. Thanks Invoice Ninja for this excellent product. A Happy client!... Happy Days!

7 years ago

Thank you for your generous review!

Education Management

This software is amazing and is able to handle simple and complex invoicing and project needs

Comments: The open source software allows me to customize the application that suits me and fits around my business.

Pros:

Ease of use. Feature-rich functionalities. Able to handle a wide array of client details. Great community. Excellent customer service.

Cons:

As I have been using this software over the past year I have yet to come across something that was problematic.

6 years ago

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for your kind words! In the future, if you think of any features of functionality that you would like to see built, let us know! Thanks again!

Richard
Utilities, 2–10 Employees

Beware

Comments: They lied to us and I spent a week swapping over and now going back to quick books because you can only have 300 customers with a growth of just 100 a month. So I'm being penalized for growth so no way.

Pros:

I purchased this program to get away from quick books and after talking to them about my customer load they made it sound like it was no problem. As soon as I sent out reacurring invoices they started flagging my account saying I had to many and it was considered phishing. I'm in trash collections and have over 1000 customers that's why I paid them money so I could have unlimited. I'm going back to quick books.

Cons:

They liked to me saying I could have unlimited customers when they only let you have 300 and can only grow by 100 a month.

4 years ago

We allow unlimited customers & unlimited invoices. For NEW account only we limit 300 emails DAILY (9,300 monthly), to avoid spammers. The limit is increased each month an account is active.

Gijs
CEO in Germany
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Very simple but powerful peace of software for accounting/billing and some other useful features

Comments: Managing clients and creating invoices through the REST-API. We use toggl for time tracking and zammad for tickets and all are connected with the REST API.

Pros:

- Its layout and the clear design - It is fast und the UI is almost completely understandable without reading the Manuel - Some very good additional features for tasks and projects

Cons:

The documentation for self-hosting could be a bit better. But hosting at invoiceninja's servers is very affordable. So for users like me that are no linux-pros, it is a better option to have invoiceninja host it for one.

Blaise
CTO in US
Program Development, 2–10 Employees

Unbelievable time saver!

Comments: Easy to send invoices and manage incoming money

Pros:

Integrates with basically every payment processor Ease of use is through the roof Plenty of documentation and forum support

Cons:

I really REALLY wish I could manage project expenditures without charging them to the client. It would be amazing if I could allocate money to my freelancers within this dashboard

7 years ago

Thank you for your review! Feel free to email us at [email protected] for help working out a solution to track expenditures, maybe you could use vendors/expenses?

Robbe
Graphic design in Belgium
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Great invoicing system

Pros:

10 out of 10. Easy to use, good user interface and overall great system. All invoicing options are available. 100% working and reliable.

Cons:

This is only on a selfhosted system: Automatic backup options are only possible with knowledge of SQL. You can export settings and data by hand but you cant do it automatically .

3 years ago

AMAZING REVIEW! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such incredible feedback! WE appreciate it!