15 years helping British businesses

Blackboard Learn Reviews

About Blackboard Learn

Low-maintenance, modern & simple. Blackboard Learn is a market-leading LMS redesigned in collaboration with the education community.

Learn more about Blackboard Learn

Pros:

Integration: Blackboard Learn integrates with other tools and platforms, such as Google Drive, Microsoft Office 365, and more, making it easy to share and access course materials.

Cons:

I'm paying for the courses because institutions are supposed to pay for the use of the platform. But it happens frequently that the platform is down.

Blackboard Learn ratings

3.9
4.0
4.1
4.1

7.6/10

Blackboard Learn has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars based on 516 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Blackboard Learn before?

Nhat
Nhat
Instructor in US

Blackboard Learn Review

Comments: I had great experience with Blackboard Learn and I will continue to use it in the future. I have not found any other education software out there that can do what Blackboard Learn does.

Pros:

It is easy to use and has all of the feature I need like auto grade, the ability to create quiz and text on the fly and allow the student to get involved in the discussion.

Cons:

There is nothing I do not like about the software.

Presidential assistant in US

The teacher's friend

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Blackboard is a teacher's friend! It stores work securely and lets the user add grades to the gradebook when work sometimes finds it way through outside email systems. Blackboard also has tutorial videos for dealing with new issues.

Pros:

I must admit wrestling with Blackboard in 2015 when first encountered, but I've learned it to be reliable and fairly simple to use. Everything about it makes sense and navigation is easy. The system does the math for accurate grade recording and stores information for as long as needed in order to verify work submitted and grades recorded.

Cons:

My least favorite thing was being thrust into Blackboard initially after using only Moodle. Our school offered some group training and I took advantage of several help sessions, too. The systems are different, but I believe Blackboard to be superior in every way.

Professor
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

a Long Term User's Honest Experience

Comments: Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since 1993. I'm retiring shortly, so I can be absolutely frank and honest about my experience with this app without fear of upsetting IT folks or admins that I would have to work with in the future. Truthfully, the ONLY reason I use this app is because I have no alternative at the College where I teach and it gives the students easy access to information, but so would any LMS (Learning Management System). The UIX (User Interface Experience) is incredibly archaic and counter-intuitive. It's also painfully slow to use, as it does constant server requests (just paste the URL for a Blackboard connection into http://www.webpagetest.org/ for testing). Sometimes one single click every 15 seconds is all the system will react to when I'm using the grade book, etc. -- in the "real" world, without captive users, no one would ever return to a site with those response times. To be fair to Blackboard, part of that may (or may not) be our schools network or Blackboard interface setup. As far as usability, Blackboard needs to let the User Interface and UIX designers (if they even had any) direct the techs and coders. It's *very* obvious that it's been the reverse, . They should 'steal' some Apple UIX people and give them some *real* power to direct how the app works and what it looks like. I've just finished using Blackboard for 3 hours+ doing things that should have taken 1 hour or less had the interface been optimized and more thought out. For example, under the 'Assignments' and 'Course Documents' sections there is no easy way to reorder or batch select using something basic like check boxes or a multi-select hot keys. Also, any NEW assignment or document post goes to the BOTTOM (the absolute reverse of a Blog post) So I need to drag it back to the top (where it logically should go). However, even that is awkward, since when I drag to the top of the browser the window does not auto-scroll. I have to hold the left mouse button at the same time as I use my middle finger to roll the mouse wheel -- duh!!. There IS a small text window pop-up accessed via an archaic icon to reorder posts, however, that shows only 5 assignment titles at a time (no window resize function to show more than 5). I can reorder them there, but need to do a single mouse click each time it moves up one position, but again, with no way to see more than 5 and no way to multi-select. So, if I have 50 course documents and want to shift 5 new documents to the top (where they belong) that's almost 250 mouse clicks to re-position 5 documents to where they should be in the first place - duh!! In Gradebook it only shows 10 students listed by default. I can change the setting up to 50 but the next time I go back it's back or need to refresh something -- it's back to 10. It doesn't save defaults or give me a choice. This may seem to be nit-picking, but over the period of a 14 week semester that's a lot of wasted time time and clicks. I'm going to end my review here as I have more work to do, but when I saw a 4 star review for this LMS being the solo review I had to balance it out. Bottom line is, the concept is good -- many, many modules/tools in a LMS bundled package but the execution is absolutely awful. Just Google search 'Blackboard sucks' or 'I hate Blackboard' if you want real faculty and user opinions sans any marketing spin. Other telltale signs are when a company start to lose long-term clients. Ryerson University in Toronto just did a switch from Blackboard after "a multi-year consultation process". More on that process is here http://lms.blog.ryerson.ca/ Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't get censored, because that's the source of raw truth.

Pros:

1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing. 2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX 3. Well established company is behind it 4. Modular front-end 5. Many bells and whistles

Cons:

1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions. 2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization. 3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface. 4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

Jocelyn
Student in US
E-Learning, 5,001–10,000 Employees

An Honest Review of Blackboard

Pros:

Blackboard was the tool faculty used most to relay any information about grades, curriculum changes, and other announcements. It made it easier to navigate individual courses, especially in the circumstances in which I needed to miss class. I used Blackboard for four years and could not have survived college without it.

Cons:

I think the biggest con of Blackboard Learn is the esthetics. Unlike other learning management systems such as Canvas, the Blackboard Learn interface simply feels a little more outdated. That being said, with this being my main con, it was overall a wonderful tool in my undergraduate education.

Jamie
Jamie
Salesforce Developer + Admin in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Reliable where it counts

Pros:

Blackboard is a rather intuitive learning platform, packed with a huge amount of features. If you need it for your school, it can be done. There were also a number of training materials and good customer support. It's reliable, which means students and instructors will know when to expect outages and prepare accordingly.

Cons:

The UI, until recently, was a bit stale and outdated in appearance. Thankfully this has been updated and seems more modernistic now. It is also a bit more expensive than alternatives.

Eduardo
Eduardo
Student in Mexico
Renewables & Environment, Self Employed

Blackboard, learn in a complex fashion

Comments: If you compare this to operating systems, blackboard provides a more linux/windows experience. The platform is robust and complex with a lot to offer, but this pro at the same time makes it a downside since it is not user friendly compared to other market competitors. As a student who used it for 3+ years. I understand and appreciate what the platform provides but I prefer simplicity over complexity.

Pros:

The big scale design of the platform is ideal to have all your academic needs in one. Access to a combine calendar allowing for easy visualization of homeworks, projects and tasks. Easy view of currents classes and course materials. With the years of experience this platform is reliable and complete.

Cons:

Even though the complexity is robust, sometimes it can be overwhelming for students and ease of access across the platform is not the best compared to other market competitors.

Andrea
Andrea
Content Creator and Social Media Marketing Manager in Mexico
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

After the pandemic, Blackboard Learn became a staple for online education

Pros:

I like that it organizes courses in a very neat way, the website is easy to navigate and looks great visually. The calendar is very helpful.

Cons:

It's not very easy to use for teachers. They often have a hard time understanding all of the features Blackboard provides.

Marti
Faculty Instructor in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Not bad, but could be better

Comments: My overall experience has been somewhat frustrating. I used a different platform at the previous university, and the transition to Blackboard Learn has not been an easy one. I have not had the time to learn all the functions available, and some of the features I would like (from my previous platform) are not available with Blackboard Learn.

Pros:

Blackboard Learn employs a feature where many other apps and learning platforms can be smoothly integrated into the LMS.

Cons:

I do not find Blackboard Learn to be intuitive.

Management Consulting, 201–500 Employees

Perfect and always saves time

Pros:

The softwares capacity to synchronize contacts and users information.

Cons:

Near to perfect but it has little hitch when it comes to support.

Jenna
Teacher in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Blackboard Daily!

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Very happy with the ease of use and quickness to complete work.

Pros:

Blackboard is so easy to use. Posting assignments, having discussions and accessing materials is so simple to do.

Cons:

Nothing was wrong with the program itself.

Wassim
Associate Professor in US
Computer Networking, 501–1,000 Employees

Blackboard Learn: The Leading LMS Platform for Higher Education

Comments: Very great experience. I rely on Blackboard Learn in managing all my online/face-to-face courses. I also rely on it in providing training sessions, tutorials, and office hours.

Pros:

I have been using Blackboard Learn to support my undergraduate and graduate university courses. I mainly use it to flexibly:1. Post course lecture notes and recorded videos.2. Post assignments and manage their submission policies and due dates3. Conduct exams and quizzes4. Post grades to students and link it to Banner to be on the University database system5. Use many tools such as Blackboard Collaborate to conduct video conferencing sessions and office hours with students

Cons:

Creating exams and assessments can be streamlined in a better way to create questions of different types more flexibly and rapidly. I recommend having a tool to do MCQ grading (such as Gradescope) integrated in the Blackboard LMS. Moreover, integrating video editing tools into the LMS itself would be a great addition as well.

Lee
Program Coordinator in US
E-Learning, 501–1,000 Employees

BLACKBOARD LEARN – you don’t know how good something is until it’s gone!

Comments: Blackboard Learn (BBL) was much better than we knew! You don’t always have control over what tools or LMS you have to use, but if you (or someone else) think that you’d prefer a different LMS - BE CAREFUL what you wish for! I loved the Grade Book’s versatility and ability to easily download it for offline management when needed. Also, when we still had BBL (yes, ‘they’ have switched us to a different LMS) I used it for online classes and as an e-Companion to onsite classes. Loading and transferring content and tests was pretty easy. I MISS BBL!

Pros:

I found that Blackboard Learn is much easier to use than other online platforms used in higher education. Being able to easily add materials and instructional documents to an online course is critical especially when a department adopts a new edition of a textbook. The quiz/test builder within Blackboard Learn is also quite user friendly and being able to export exams from a previous course and import to a future course is a real time saver!

Cons:

The discussion board when entering grades can sometimes be a little confusing, trying to determine if the student is replying to a classmate’s post – especially if the student has not included the classmate’s name in their reply, but that’s really more due to a student not following instructions and not the program.

William
Adjunct English Instructor in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Avoid this program at all costs. Use literally anything else.

Comments: Awful. If I had the choice, I would never use this program again. I use a different program at another college where I work, and I can say without any reservation that Blackboard is garbage. I don't know how it's priced, but I'm sure it can't be worth whatever the administrators are saving. Truly horrid, and now that most of our work is going to be online for awhile, teachers just can't afford to be hamstrung by this abysmal program any longer.
Oh, and Safe Assign is a joke. I've caught ten times more plagiarism using common sense than that thing has ever spotted. It misses almost ALL of the plagiarism I have found from my students. Ridiculously bad.

Pros:

There is nothing this software does that other software doesn't do better. I like that it allows for the creation of rubrics, as all programs of this sort do. Really can't seen anything about this that is better or even as good as other programs

Cons:

Whole passages of feedback will suddenly disappear if you move the mouse into the wrong area or scroll a bit while you are typing comments on the essay. This is a persistent problem that everyone in our school has verified. In order to use one editing tool (a highlighter), the program locks out the other editing tool (the comment field), unless you refresh the screen, which then erases any comments not held in place by a highlight. I could go on and on and on, but I'm afraid I'd have to type it all over again if this review field is made by the same people who made Blackboard's essay editor.

Bret
Associate Professor of Spanish in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

After over 6 years with BlackBoard, you get used to it

Comments: Overall, it gets the job done. Although I have heard that most people like Canvas better.

Pros:

I like that I can create quizzes, embed media, create a gradebook, select the language, etc.

Cons:

BlackBoard learn can be limited in many ways. For example, you are very limited with modifying the look of the course sites. Also, with assessments, you can give partial credit is a students gets the answer partially correct on a fill-in-the-blank assessment. I also don't like how it organizes the grades the students can see.

Hannah
Clerical Assistant in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Needs some work for organization

Comments: Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pros:

Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Cons:

They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

Albert
Product Manager in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Abomination is an Understatement

Comments: I had the opportunity to go to school online, or check assignments on a web-based platform. I liked that. But other than that, I cannot say a single good thing about it.

Pros:

It is web-based. Some modules can be dragged and dropped. It has a lot of useless features I don't ever need or use, while missing ones that I do need.

Cons:

Let's be real. Blackboard never heard of "less is more." They could learn a lesson from likes of Uber. Here's what students need: 1. Educational content 2. Tasks with Due Dates and eventually grades 3. Chat (Group and Private) 4. Notifications If a millennial designed Blackboard, the entire application could fit into a 3 page app, simple enough for a retard. They went out of their way to make it complicated, so it would seem better on paper. They've put so many bells and whistles that it is an absolute nightmare for both students and professors alike. Confuses everyone and is a bottleneck in our educational system we should be doing without.

Joel Thomas
Teacher in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Comments: Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pros:

As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Cons:

While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

Stephanie
Student in US
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

Great Platform For My College Courses

Comments: Overall I would recommend blackboard learn to others it’s an easy way to access your grades your courses and assignments for your college course that you’re taking. There are some things that can be fixed like the interface to make it easier for people to see certain things but overall I would recommend blackboard.

Pros:

What I like the most about Blackboard Learn is the easy navigation of looking up my college courses. I am able to see what is due for each class on the calendar. I also love that I can get notifications that something is graded especially if it is for an assignment or test that I am waiting to see my grade.

Cons:

One thing I don’t like about Blackboard is that there are outages and glitches sometimes and there is no notification about when it will be fixed or if it is ever going to be fixed. Another thing is the interface can be confusing to some people and may take some time to get used to.

Juliano Carlos
Network Administrator in Brazil
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great and Powerful LMS - Blackboard.

Pros:

The way we can review the documents; The better way to report plans localized to the group. I can gauge what matters more simple and directely. I like all the information, the trend is in one space, graphed automatically and an easy way of collaboration and track deliverables.

Cons:

We don't have any major issues using Blackboard. It is a really good service for us!

Kenatu
Senior Programmer Analyst in Canada
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Hammer To Swat a Fly

Comments: Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Pros:

Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality Love that there are break out rooms for each session Clickable rubrics - awesome Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Cons:

Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work. What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

faculty in US
E-Learning, 501–1,000 Employees

New Bb Rollout

Comments: My institution just rolled out the updated Blackboard platform. I CANNOT UNDERSTATE HOW DISAPPOINTING IT IS! It is harder to use and Bb has removed many of the options for customizing the look and feel of course environments. The MOST ANNOYING change is the locked "institution" bar on the left side of the screen. It is taking up precious screen space... it is not movable. AND the x "close course" box on the top left is too easy to click on... I have already had the problem of having a course close a number of times when I was working on it because I scrolled over that box. This IS REALLY BAD. Stupid design. A move backwards.

Pros:

Ability to share lecture recordings and instructional material.

Cons:

The changes are in the wrong direction. Only 1 discussion folder. Moving from ability for instructors to customise the look and feel of a course to more standardization.

Teddy
Director of Recruiting in US

Decent Tool for Teaching Remote Classes

Comments: Using this service has made me realize that there are more services that offer lower prices. After a year of using this product, I wouldn't recommend this product and will continue to utilize another service in the future.

Pros:

Blackboard Learn allows me to track the progress of the students. If one of my students is falling behind on an assignment, it notifies me then I would contact the student about their missing assignment. These are the features that I like the most about Blackboard Learn.

Cons:

Blackboard Learn does not handle large file sizes well. There was an incident where a student of mine couldn't hand in an assignment due to their file size being too big. Following that event, the student had to send me their assignment via email. Blackboard Learn should increase its file size limit in order to prevent this from happening again.

Ziyaad
Software Engineer in South Africa
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

A good environment for students

Comments: Really nice experience especially since I went remote, very easy to learn because of its user friendly UI, it sometimes feels better than being in the office/class

Pros:

The calendar was a great feature, I would always catch myself going there to see what I have due on which days, its a really nice addition to stay organized and check due dates in the case I forgot. Another additional feature would be recordings, having a space to go back and check previous recordings was great as well

Cons:

Not being able to import the calendar to google calendars or going through a lengthy process to do it, Linking it with outlook calendar can be confusing as well at some points.

Education Management, 11–50 Employees

seemingly popular but surprisingly clunky

Comments: This is not a minor software and many have found it to be worthwhile, so consider my review in context of your particular business needs. There may be aspects that fit your needs quite well. I just haven't found them in my case.

Pros:

I can't say too much positive other than it is a reliable platform. Rarely experience outages which affect business critical functions.

Cons:

I think that the back-end reporting features must be the shining star of this software. The front-end user experience is less than adequate. I have used blackboard to deploy data and assessments for 5 years, and I still have questions which require professional assistance at least once a quarter. It is time consuming to use and does not produce a clean interface.

Lara
Associate Professor and Curriculum Designer in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

A perfect LMS for remote learning

Comments: We have since moved on to Canvas at my workplace, and I long for the days when all we used was Blackboard. I have had more trouble with Canvas than Blackboard with my distance learners.

Pros:

Its adaptability and flexibility for the content writer. Information is so easy to add, edit, or remove at a moment's notice, and the changes are reflected immediately.

Cons:

There could be more assessment tools added, but the ones already there are more than adequate.