Squarespace Reviews

by Squarespace

Filter by:

• Overall

About Squarespace

Squarespace is the all-in-one platform to build a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio.

Learn more about Squarespace

Showing 2,124 reviews

Derek N.
Derek N.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2019

"The best web design platform available"

Comments: I am designing 99% of my clients websites on Squarespace. It helps me get to market faster and easier, and deliver a product my clients love.

Pros: I have been designing websites professionally for over 15 years and it's very rare that I don't design on Squarespace for clients. It's easy to use, the templates are beautiful, and there are so many features and endless flexibility.

Cons: I wish custom code injection was available on the basic/personal levels. As of right now, you need to upgrade to the business account to inject any code in the header or footer.

• Reviewed on 04/08/2019
Kacy L.
Website Owner, Ministry Developer, Content Creator
Religious Institutions, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2021

"Clean, simple start-up but not the smoothest system."

Comments: I use Squarespace primarily for blogging and building a brand. It is not optimal for writing, editing and photos, but it makes for a great, clean website with many options with electronic forms, pull down menus and features. Overall, it's a great product, but still very clunky and unsteady.

Pros: It is easy for a non-expert like me to build a blog, navigate a website and make quick edits. Squarespace stands out above the rest in simplicity with drag and drop features. It does a good job with electronic forms to make a way for more to opt in and covers all the bases on what you need for a website. They offer great analytics!

Cons: The software is very clunky. I tend to use it on my MacBook, but have learned to write content somewhere safer than putting it straight into website. It has crashed so many times, and adding pictures often takes a very long time. The iOS apps seem to work better but that's not optimal for my work. I've also struggled some with text editing and formatting. The process isn't smooth.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2021
Elizabeth A.
Director of Development & Communications
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2021

"Easy to Customize"

Comments: Using Squarespace to relaunch our website was a time consuming process, but the system made it as easy as it could be. Someone with little web design experience can make a beautiful website and concern themselves more with the content than the design. There was a bit of a learning curve, but after trial and error we were able to navigate the system and learn as we designed new pages.

Pros: The drag and drop features of the page designs were easy to navigate and customize. When deciding what pages to include in our rebranded website, functionality was our number one concern; we wanted to be sure our current and future customers could navigate our site easily and find what they were looking for. It is great to be able to adjust and customize pieces any time instead of having to wait for a developer to create a page for us.

Cons: The forms can be finicky and sometimes don't work for users. Because there isn't a customer service rep with onboarding it can be difficult to navigate troubleshooting. Without much coding knowledge it can be difficult to customize the size of the header for the entire website, and I wish you could chose your own fonts.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2021
Amy S.
Partner & Brand Director
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2021

"Easy drag-and-drop alternative to other web platforms"

Comments: I'm a copywriter, designer and brand/marketing consultant. I've built multiple small sites myself, and on a handful of others have directed freelance designers and developers on site build-out. First Squarespace site I did was in 2016. We build websites for clients on Wordpress, Shopify and Bigcommerce as well. And tend to direct clients to Squarespace if their content will be visually-driven, perhaps a little lighter on the e-commerce side, and when they'll benefit from the ability to create new pages -- especially marketing landing pages under their own domain -- without the need to call in extra developer/programmer assistance.

Pros: Squarespace's drag-and-drop platform makes it really easy to create a great-looking, full-functioning website... that can be organically changed, added to and otherwise modified over time. If we have clients who need to create marketing landing pages under their own URL, Squarespace is the one website platform that offers this natively and elegantly. We find ourselves needing to call in programmer/developers far less often when creating or modifying a web site on Squarespace. The ability to add forms, email captures, slide shows, etc., is all native to the platform, without needing to add a bunch of plugins. Your editing window is the actual page, so you can see what your dragging, writing, and otherwise placing on the page in a completely visual editor view. If you are someone who doesn't do coding... and likes the ability to drag sections and elements, set your own colors, padding, etc., Squarespace is really quite flexible and easy to use.

Cons: It doesn't do a perfect job of scaling photography from desktop to mobile views. It certainly does it, but sometimes requires a little creativity to set the image focal point and/or scale the original image so that it looks good in desktop and doesn't look too big in mobile. This is less of an issue with large banner-width images than with smaller inset images. Takes a little getting used to. The only other issue we've run into is that the interface is so easy to use that we've had a client go in and make color and photo changes we'd have preferred he didn't. Easy enough to correct. But, generally, our clients are too intimidated by other platforms to get in and change things, so just something to think about and create a plan/process around on a Squarespace site.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2021
Alanna W.
Photographer
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Love hate relationship."

Comments: It’s a good option for the price, but as soon as I can afford more, I’m personally going to move on to a better website builder with more customization ability.

Pros: I love that it looks classy even if you’re not familiar with how to use website designing softwares. This is mostly due to the fact that they only allow certain liberties to the user unless the user knows code. In other words, they do not allow the user to make major changes to their templates, because they had professional designers put the templates together so they’d look great! And why let the user mess with a professionally designed look?

Cons: The fact that the user cannot change much means that intermediate users are out of luck. In my case, I am very familiar with how to make an appealing design, and I am also familiar with website builders in general, BUT I do not know coding so I can’t change details that way. Because I know more than a beginner, I get very frustrated at the limitations in design that I am dealt by Squarespace. For instance, they only allow 3 font styles throughout the site, which I understand is a great design approach, but sometimes a different font size or color is NEEDED. Just saying! (Particular afternoon campaign you might want to feature on a particular page, a slight color variation so it shows up better on a photo, etc.)

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Kael K.
Website Creator
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"The best website builder for lightweight needs and support"

Comments: Overall, Squarespace has saved me a great deal of time managing the website and keeping it updated and current. It hasn't been without its headaches but it's definitely nice to be able to leave it sit for a period of time without worrying about technical difficulties. I used WordPress in the past and it's much, much easier. The major downside is your site will look Squarespace-y. All Squarespace sites have a certain modern styling and it's difficult to give it a unique look but that's the price we pay for simplicity.

Pros: The ease of creating and managing the website are its strongest suite. There is definitely a learning curve and not everything is intuitive out of the box. However, once you get through the quirks it can save substantial amounts of time creating content and maintaining the site into the future. It takes a lot of complexity out of website creation. It's a major relief to not have to worry about updating plugins and hoping something doesn't break. It's mobile friendly out of the box and much easier to handle things like image galleries or even selling products.

Cons: Every website must be on its own plan. No bundles or creating multiple websites on the same server. Choosing a template upfront can be tricky because it's hard to foresee what capabilities you'll need down the line and each template has its own abilities and quirks. You can always change the template but that often requires substantial reworking of the content. Also, you must work with the confines of what Squarespace can do. If you're trying to do something relatively complicated you're likely to run into roadblocks and limitations and you'll be stuck doing it the "Squarespace way" or not at all.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Jenna a M.
Artist
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Squarespace is great for small businesses"

Comments: My overall experience with Squarespace is that it has allowed me to increase my profits, I've had a better time at events when people want to make purchases, and in general it is a well run software, so I really appreciate it. It is very accessible, it has made me look more professional, and it rarely has any bugs. Good job !

Pros: I have been using Squarespace for a few years as a working artist with a small business. There are a lot of events that happen for crafts and painting, and no one has cash, and I certainly don't have change to give them. When I got onto squarespace a few years ago I was amazed that they sent me a free sliding card chip reader, how easy it was to sign up, and I was a bit upset with myself that I hadn't signed up sooner. The amount of sales I missed before squarespace could probably have paid for a vacation or a big increase in my business, however all is well because I have it now. I really like that I can also keep profiles of different people, I can send people invoices, I can send people receipts, I can really make sure that I stay in their minds as a future place to buy from. I think that square space has also been successful for me because having a squarespace account has made me more professional with overseas buyers. Sometimes I get quite a bit of traction on sales through instagram, and paypal is not seen as the best route by these people, they prefer square space. It has given them ease of mind when they receive a digital receipt, when they see that i take my business seriously, and that has created a lot of good relationships for me in places like Australia, New Zealand and so forth. It has also allowed me to let people set up payment plans by tracking all their payments through square space and that too has increased a lot of business for me. Squarespace has helped!

Cons: I think that I am always worried about losing the swiper. If there was a way where squarespace could get rid of that all together and yet allow a one go swipe I would be really grateful for that. The only other issues I have had is sometimes the software has frozen while I am in the middle of a transaction and that has made things a bit difficult for me in the moment, however, this is common for a lot of apps that have high usage, so I am not super upset about it. I think that in the moment you can hope that things will be perfect but they can't always be. Overall though I think the software has better positives than negatives. I think that it is very good software.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Kyla O.
Owner/Designer
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/01/2017

"Easily Create an Ever-Beautiful Website"

Comments: I have been using Squarespace for my e-commerce business for a few years now and love it! Squarespace sites are easy to create and update, while always remaining beautiful. I have used other drag-and-drop website building software in the past and even though the layouts looked right when I was editing, once I viewed them live and on different devices, there were always problems. With Squarespace's platform, my site always looks exactly the way I expect it to.
I recently added the e-commerce component to my site and while it doesn't have a ton of features, like other sites, it works perfectly for what I need. Some templates are better suited for e-commerce, so if that's what you're looking for, make sure to look into which ones those are.
Squarespace websites are also automatically optimized for search engines! Last year I took an SEO course to improve traffic to my website and a bunch of the suggestions involved manually updating parts of my site every few months so that search engines would continue to find my site. When I inquired with Squarespace about how to go about this, they let me know that their platform already does this for my site automatically--yay! I also discovered a variety of other SEO features that are built into every Squarespace site, so you don't have to worry about updating or even knowing about much of it--it's all done for you!
While Squarespace doesn't offer customer service by phone, they are timely with responding to inquiries via email and their robust online knowledge base has answered many of my questions in just a few minutes. They also offer a chat feature Mon-Fri.
Finally, one of the reasons I decided to switch to Squarespace was for integrations, like MailChimp--they make it easy to connect with my customers and streamline collecting their information. They also just added an integration with PayPal for checkout, which I can already tell has made purchases easier for my customers.
Overall, I am extremely happy with Squarespace and look forward to discovering, even more, features!

Pros: Ease of use
Beautiful designs
Great customer service
Affordable
useful integrations (PayPal, MailChimp, etc)
built-in SEO
constantly updating and adding more features

Cons: e-commerce platform has minimal features
No customer service phone support
Some features are only available on a limited number of templates

• Reviewed on 08/01/2017
Kelly L.
Artist
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 11/11/2020

"Online Shop and Portfolio"

Comments: Very good. I would recommend it to others looking to build a website.

Pros: I use this as a host for my website and for an online illustration portfolio and shop. It is a little pricey all upfront, but if I break down the business plan per month, its $18 a month, which I make back in my store, so I always break even/make money. I like that there are templates that you dont have to know any coding for and they are pretty intuative. Same with the store. I've used this for atleast 5 years now and don't plan to change.

Cons: I've been waiting for them to take away the need to enter a physical address when people buy a free digital download from my store, and I contacted customer service and they were kinda dumb and didn't really help me with my issue, but that's been the only issue I've had in years.

• Reviewed on 11/11/2020
Lady W.
Photographer/Owner
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2021

"Using Squarespace for 3 websites!"

Comments: I absolutely love my Squarespace websites! I love that I can incorporate a store, embed forms from my CRM, blog, and the ample options for SEO.

Pros: Squarespace allows me to design beautiful, professional websites without any coding knowledge. I've designed 4 websites on Squarespace and currently run 3. The templates make it easy to choose the look of a website while still allowing lots of customization.

Cons: Different templates belong to different template families that each have different functionality. I would like it if all of the templates had the same options for customization and function in place.

• Reviewed on 19/05/2021
Jessica N.
Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Sleek Beautiful Websites"

Comments: We have been using squarespace for over 3 years and love it. There are plenty of tutorials to help along the way and the tools within the platform can help create any type of website.

Pros: When searching for the perfect platform for our design business, we needed something that would showcase our work with clean lines and beautiful templates. Squarespace was the perfect fit! I loved the ability to customize every aspect of the templates as well so that we could incorporate our store, online catalog, intake forms and portfolio.

Cons: There is some learning curve with this software. It took me a few online tutorials and customer service chats to really figure out where everything was and how to use the features. Once you spend the time to learn, this platform is amazing.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Katie H.
Content and Brand Strategist
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

"Best Out There"

Comments: I love having a Squarespace website. I was able to find templates that I loved and share it easily, not having to worry about whether or not the website would crash or the server would go out.

Pros: The ease of use of Squarespace is the best out there. The drag and drop software, easy to follow backend and capabilities make this the perfect platform for anyone wanting to create a website, no matter what their background is. If you know how to work a computer, you can create a beautifully designed Squarespace website.

Cons: The only con of the platform is switching templates. I liked to change up my website template every year or two, but I couldn't just change the template and have the content populate, I had to create a brand new website in the back end and make it live. It just made the process a little frustrating and time-consuming.

Grace S.
Grace S.
Independent Web Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/06/2019

"Clean, Modern, User-Friendly Web Design"

Comments: My clients have had no complaints! It is a very reliable program.

Pros: I love that Squarespace is both user-friendly and customizable at the same time. As an independent web designer, it's nice to have the option to use coding to customize my work, while knowing that my clients will be able to access basic functionality as well. I also love Squarespace's templates – every template, no matter which style, has a very clean and modern look. Even the newest web designer can create something sophisticated with the help of the many templates.

Cons: Some templates have differing customizable elements (ie, some things that are customizable on one template are not on another). They do have style guides that list the functionality of all the templates, but I do wish there was an easier way to differentiate between the options (maybe a template comparison tool?).

• Reviewed on 03/06/2019
Technical Sourcer
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"Squarespace - Honest Review"

Comments: Overall, I love this platform. I have considered using different platforms but they usually have a higher price point and you have to pay for each individual template. I like that you have new templates constantly coming out and you have access to all of them.

Pros: I've been using Squarespace for my photography business the past 5 years and I love the software. I love the versatility of templates provided and the customization designs. I have changes templates maybe 5 times in the past couple of years. If you're new to creating a website this is a great place to start. It's literally a click and drag method, and the best part is that you get a beautiful website. Customer support is also amazing! Anytime I had a bottle neck I had no issue reaching out and receiving a prompt response.

Cons: After using it for a couple of years there are a few things I wish I was able to do. If you are not a programmer a few small details may really bug you. For instance if you wanted to change the spacing between images you will have to look up code and plug it into the advanced settings. For people who are not programmers it's pretty much a plug and see if it works type of approach. With that said many people post on the Squarespace forums and have provided code that has worked for them and it's been pretty helpful. I really enjoy shopping around for templates and seeing the potential that these templates are able to produce. However, it seems like a lot of coding went into these example layouts in order to get the look that they were able to achieve. I also, wish I was able to save my previous template before fully committing to a new one.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
Graphic Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2019

"Best Content Management System Platform on the web!"

Comments: Squarespace has been my favorite Content Management System platform by far. As a graphic designer who works in only print, I only use minimal CSS coding to build my website. It saves me a lot of time and money from having to hire a web developer, or use something free and risk having a lower quality website.

Pros: Squarespace is a pretty powerful blogging and Ecommerce platform. It enables designers with or without knowledge of coding to build stunning websites. There are many fully responsive templates to choose from in different categories that are completely customizable, and can can be switched up at anytime. You have the ability to customize your website with a little bit of CSS coding. There are a few plans to choose from, from personal to Ecommerce, and everything you need is included. One thing that sells me on Squarespace is that the itemized cost is simple and there are no additional third party web hosting, templates, or plug-ins, which is the case for platforms such as Wordpress. Websites are beautifully optimized for mobile web and requires no extra work to optimize. I have had great experiences with customer service being very responsive and helpful.

Cons: Squarespace is more advanced than other quick and easy website building platforms, so it is a bit of a learning curve that just takes time and patience. Another downfall is that although there are many templates to choose from, they are limiting to suit your needs as certain styles lack all of the features that other styles might have, such as blogging side bars and second navigation bars.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2019
Paul W.
Paul W.
eLearning Designer and Developer
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2019

"Squarespace is Easy Website Creation and Management"

Comments: I've really enjoyed working with Squarespace. The learning curve hasn't been too bad. Obviously there are new features introduced and the product continues to improve.

Pros: Overall the simplicity of the tool makes it wonderful to use. I can add an entry to my website in usually minutes and I don't even think about formating or HTML code or anything like that. I just simply write an article or manage the purchases from my clients.

Cons: It would be nice to be able to offer multiple currencies in the eCommerce components. I'm Canadian and I wish to offer US dollars to my American clients, but I still need to operate my business in Canada. My Canadian clients would appreciate being able to show for my services in Canadian currency.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Digital Production Artist
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2020

"Squarespace makes complicated tasks smooth and easy"

Comments: It's been really good! I use Squarespace for my photography portfolio. Back in the day I coded my own websites and it was a pain in the butt. Having Squarespace as an option is just so much better. I can focus on the parts of the process that I enjoy.

Pros: - It's easy to use and quite easy to customize. There are a lot of possibilities.
- Templates are fresh and inspiring.
- Interface is smooth and easy to navigate.
- Uploading and organizing photos is a dream. It's very easy.
- Templates work flawlessly on desktop and mobile
- Price is fair (not cheap, but a good value for everything it includes)
- The first year was half price with my student email address

Cons: - There's no way to create a client proofing gallery! This feature would be invaluable to photographers who want to give their clients a way to select which photos they're interested in.
- Having a custom email address costs extra (I believe it's $5/month)
- The selection of templates is a little limited and sites can have a noticeable Squarespace look. But there is room for customization.

• Reviewed on 29/04/2020
Jared D.
Jared D.
Customer Success Manager
  • Reviewed on 11/01/2020

"One of the Best Website Builders"

Comments: I wish I had known about them sooner otherwise we would've avoided paying an agency to build a custom site. Now we have to pay them every time we want any edits/adjustments made however minute they may be.

Pros: Squarespace delivers a super user-friendly tool that allows nonprofits I work with who don't have much tech experience to quickly build a website. It's easily customizable and their templates are all mobile-responsive. They also have great integrations with tools like Mailchimp for email marketing and Google Analytics. Their support documentation is very clear and comprehensive. I've never had to reach out to their support for anything I couldn't find in their help center.

Cons: They have pre-made templates that look fantastic, but if you're looking for something with drag and drop functionality for complete customization like Wix.com or Weebly, then Squarespace isn't for you. You can usually tell if a website is Squarespace because oftentimes different sites will use the same template. I also think that they could lower their pricing a tad and just offer less features.

• Reviewed on 11/01/2020
Maria Q.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2019

"Easy to use platform"

Comments: It´s a good platform. Our design and development team really like it; choosing it is a matter of money and the other marketing tools you might have.

Pros: It´s very user-friendly and easy to use. You can build a website by dragging and dropping sections; it integrates with other Apps so you can analyze or automate tasks related to tracking, forms, purchase process, and email marketing.

Cons: The personalization of the site and some elements is not to easy to do. Also, to personalize them you need to upgrade to the paid version, and there are other platforms that have this "feauture" for free.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2019
Alyssa V.
Photographer
  • Reviewed on 09/06/2020

"Great for freelancers"

Comments: Would absolutely recommend Squarespace for freelancers and small to mid-sized businesses, especially if you’re looking to build a simple portfolio or landing page.

Pros: As a freelance photographer, I used Squarespace to build my website and portfolio. I absolutely loved the pre-built website design options without needing to hire a specific designer to create my site. Squarespace is also affordable for its quality, making it a great choice for small businesses.

Cons: Nothing at this time! If I was looking for a more customizable option, Squarespace might not be the best fit, but for pre-built designs it worked great.

• Reviewed on 09/06/2020
Yva V.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/02/2021

"Good for design terrible for subscriptions"

Comments: For designing a web page is exceptional, for subscription products is really bad

Pros: Square space is made for design. You can design a really nice web page fast and easy. This was built around design and then they add the e-commerce functionality, that is why the commerce lack many features.

Cons: Subscription services are really bad. Difficult to manage in bulk. EVerything has to be done customer by customers. Changing the paayment date is ok, but if you want to modify to a previous date than the one in the system is not possible. For example. If your subscription payment is due in 1 month but you want to charge them in 3 weeks is not possible. The customization of the products is really bad too.

• Reviewed on 02/02/2021
Ian S.
graphic designer
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"Squarespace: The Best Website Tool on the Market"

Comments: Squarespace is a nice web tool to quickly implement your online presence. I work with a lot of developers and web tools, but squarespace is a definite favorite in the industry

Pros: I like squarespace a lot, and I think most of our clients are comfortable using it because of its notoriety and the ads you see on television – it's not some "scary web code", it's intuitive, easy-to-use and recognizable. Especially if you're not particularly web-savvy, they have plenty of beautiful templates to pick and choose with, and you can get online within a day. The service is affordable and easy to use, and customer service is usually "right there" when you need them. I highly recommend it!

Cons: There is a bit of a learning curve if you want to do some of the development yourself. It's hard for me to say anything really 'bad' about squarespace considering the development aspect of this isn't necessary to make a good website, but after working with such intuitive programs like WIX I feel like it would be criminal to not at least be a little vocal about it. I think that could use some improvement and maybe some pop-up helpful tools because the navigation can be a bit lacking (although this, again, is a personal preference)

Brianna A.
Brianna A.
Makeup artist
Cosmetics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"Love! Love! Love!"

Comments: Excellent experience overall, I had one little hiccup that was my own fault and the customer service team helped out so quick!

Pros: This site was extremely user friendly! I originally considered having someone build my website for me but I quickly changed my mind after exploring all of the options with Squarespace. It allowed me to first create a platform For free until I was ready to pay. I was able to do my entire website n the free version and once I had my funds together BOOM! A full site up and running! My greatest accomplishment this year, getting my website together!

Cons: There isn’t Anything bad I can say about this platform. It was so extremely user friendly! If I say anything bad I’d be lying.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2019
Greg H.
Greg H.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2019

"Love it, way better than WordPress"

Comments: Very good, been using them for years. Still hate WordPress.

Pros: Intuitive, easy to use, built-in hosting and SSL certificates, good designs

Cons: Limited templates, this is where WordPress wins. But, it is nice because the platform is more intuitive and you don't need any coding experience.

• Reviewed on 28/08/2019
Amber C.
Amber C.
Inbound Marketing Strategist
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Best For Those With No Web Dev Experience"

Comments: Overall, if you have very little experience with web development, Squarespace is a great tool to create an eCommerce Website or regular website. If you know the team members that will be updating your website have very little experience, Squarespace will be easy for them to figure out. In our marketing business, we typically only work with Squarespace when a client has a pre-existing site on the platform that they do not want to move. We typically recommend Wordpress or Hubspot depending on budget and other needs, just due to the flexibility of each platform.

Pros: Squarespace is incredibly easy to use. With easy user interfaces and a "What You See Is What You Get" editor, they make it easy to create beautiful websites with little experience.

Cons: Because Squarespace is easy to use, it leaves some advanced features to desire. The templates are more restrictive and I find as an experienced web developer, I often get frustrated with what I cannot do in Squarespace that I can do in Wordpress. You'll also pay more for Squarespace than you would if you used Wordpress and your own hosting.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019