Squarespace Reviews

4.6 (2,512) Write a Review!

About Squarespace

Squarespace is the all-in-one platform to build a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio.

Learn more about Squarespace

Pros:

Easy to deploy and integrates (albeit not seamlessly) with GoDaddy, where we were previously hosting our website. Excellent customer service.

Cons:

In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things.

Squarespace ratings

4.4
4.4
4.3
4.3

8.3/10

Squarespace has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 2,512 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Squarespace before?

Filter reviews (2,512)

Kimberly
Kimberly
Copywriter/ Sole Proprietor in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Intuitive Website Management/ Build

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall positive- would recommend this platform for bloggers, small businesses, and first time website design.

Pros:

Great for small businesses and those less technologically experienced, drag and drop features are great.

Cons:

There’s a clear branding “look” that makes it obvious that your website is a Squarespace site.

Kira
Co- owner operator in US
Automotive, 2-10 Employees

Overall - Good.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Mostly good, I do like it. It was easy to use but when I did have a problem or need help I wasn't happy with the customer service.
I like the drag and drop website building feature, I don't have to set up every part I can just change what I need to change.

Pros:

I like the built in features and ease of use,, compared to other products that require more set up.

Cons:

The customer service and issue with approving every single order every time.

Moustafa Medhat
Moustafa Medhat
Student in Egypt
Medical Devices, 10,000+ Employees

My Review of Squarespace

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My overall experience with Squarespace is not much good and I am using an alternative platform now.

Pros:

I like that Squarespace has a mobile application that allows me to control and manage my website at any time anywhere quickly. Also, I love that I can import high image resolution to show it on my website without affecting the quality of the image. I can literally customize anything like headers.

Cons:

The subscription is quite expensive compared to other competitors without any security services offered by Squarespace. It is a little bit difficult to get used to Squarespace as it needs some expertise. Also, Squarespace needs some improvements regarding the e-commerce side.

silvan
Photographer / Project leader in Switzerland
Photography, Self Employed

Easy to use website builder with a professional set of Features

Comments: Overall I'm very happy that I switched from a manual-driven wordpress Website/Shop to fully intergrated Squarespace. Have no worries about hosting, Updating wordpress and woocommerce and the site is working properly!

Pros:

Most of selfemployed people running their own business are looking for an easy going solution to create a new website. Sure, wordpress just needs a hosting-space, a template and everything is fine... but with squarespace you can skip all the technical-hosting-Stuff and start with the websitbuilder and a template you like for your business. You can use 14days of trial and set up a website. If you like it, pay for the priceplan you need (with oder without a shop-solution) and everything is fine.

Cons:

If you really want to customize the Design and some details in your template you have to start writing in the SS forums. Most of the time, you get a quick answer. But sometimes it's a bit of try&error until it is working like you wanted to change details in your website template.

Stephanie
Entrepreneur in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

You only need Squarespace

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Love love love!!! I recommend starting from square one with squarespace! Seriously, uncomplicate your life and business and switch!

Pros:

I cannot say enough good things about this program! I got the square reader for in person sales and have been learning about all the FREE features that come along with it! As a small business owner my budget is tight for accounting and record keeping. But squarespace keeps track of thay for me! Not to mention gives me a free online store. AND offering business loans based on your squarespace sales?!?!?! I am in love and will probably end of being a brand ambassador.

Cons:

Nothing bad about this company yet! Just start using it!

Luke
Luke
educator-author in Cyprus
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great but a bit pricey

5.0 last week New

Comments: Overall, I designed a great blog for my books.

Pros:

It has the best templates I have seen among its competitors. Here you can create the most beautiful blog. I find with basic knowledge it can be used by most. It has a user-friendly interface. An active forum is there for any questions and support.

Cons:

There is no free plan and it is a bit more pricey than others that offer similar products.

Chief Executive Officer in US
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees

Squarespace is the best website builder for non technical users

5.0 last month New

Comments: Fantastic. Their support was incredible and FAST.

Pros:

So easy to use. The templates were professional, editable and had depth. I was able to connect my own domain from GoDaddy and it worked seamlessly.

Cons:

Someone who wants more customizability might go for something like Webflow.

Electromecanicien in Canada
Design, 201-500 Employees

Squarespace is amazing!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Love it!

Pros:

The simplicity and reliability of it. It's way better then the competition

Cons:

Nothing bad to say about it. It is really great on every point

Emirhan
Music in Turkey
Music, Self Employed

Squarespace is easy to use website builder.

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

You can use a one-to-one site to make a blog site with peace of mind. Thanks to the visual gallery it contains, you can realize the designs you want without worrying about copyright.

Cons:

It may be suitable for smaller jobs. It may not be suitable for those who want to get a more professional service. But I can say that I am quite satisfied.

Jared
Jared
CMO in US

Squarespace Web Development

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I've used it sparingly compared to wordpress and since I host my own websites with namecheap and GoDaddy that way I've not had to allocate more resources on monthly fees to have a website versus just having something I can upgrade as I go and build my company.

Pros:

Squarespace is very easy to use for a dinner and also effective in SEO and branding your web project with not a lot of barriers to learning for the entry level designer.

Cons:

The cost is similar to other do it for you hosting website builders; however, there's no beginner or personal tiers for the small non-established student or learning entrepreneur to get their feet wet. It's a straight B2B Target in each that helps more so larger businesses solve their technical issues.

Melissa
Business Owner in US
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees

Great for Basics, not so great for customization

Comments: Overall, it's a great quality jumping off point for anyone new to the ecommerce game. If you have some experience with web design, you would probably enjoy building your own site a lot more than trying to fit yourself or your business into one of the proverbial "boxes" that Squarespace has to offer it's clients. If you're just trying to break into the market and are looking for an easy to use and manage, basic solution - this will work great!

Pros:

I really liked how easy this was to use and get setup, considering I have ZERO web design or IT experience. It was really user friendly, has lots of guides to help you get started. Lots of modern designs that can fit a lot traditional/regular business streams. The customer management features are EXCELLENT - especially if you use a Square POS system in your shop. I really love that I can run analytics on any particular customer, plus you can use the info across Square platforms. Really great ecommerce software if your needs are basic.

Cons:

The ability to customize to your business could use a lot of improvement. You can customize to an extent - it generally requires you to have any and all imagery, content and designs done and simply uploaded to the site. This is a daunting task if you have never done anything like this before - I tried and it didn't go well. None of the themes really "matched" or worked well with our business and how we wished to incorporate ecommerce into our business.

Liam
Graphic Designer in Australia
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Squarespace: the platform that empowers creatives

Comments: I use Squarespace to showcase my work and tell my story to potential clients, and allow them to book in a call with me. It's an essential part of my client acquisition process.

Pros:

Squarespace has made my career possible. It allowed me to build the portfolio that landed my first full-time graphic design job, and is now the platform I use to showcase my work and win freelance clients. Its balance of simplicity and customisability empowers me as a designer to build a website that represents me and my small design business in the best light possible.

Cons:

I will admit I've had to rely quite heavily on custom CSS to get my site looking the way I'd like — this wouldn't be much of a problem if it weren't for the poor CSS coding experience. Squarespace only gives me a very small window to type in, and it's very difficult to navigate the 400 lines or so of code I've written. There is also an abundance of unused code (Javascript) that gets loaded into my website by default which I cannot remove. This increases my website load time, making for a poor viewer experience – not to mention the negative impact this has on my SEO. Squarespace also slows my computer severely when I use it in the Safari browser — this led me to switch back to Chrome. All this being said — if you're someone who doesn't plan on adding code, isn't concerned with SEO, and doesn't use Safari for desktop — I can't help but commend Squarespace for their brilliant overall experience.

Director & Photographer in US

User of Squarespace for 9+ years - Loyal customer to a fantastic product

Comments: My overall experience has been outstanding. I will continue to use the product despite the cost. It is well worth the amount of visits I routinely get on the site where I know the viewers will have a smooth experiencing navigating the site. It just works!

Pros:

When it comes down to it, I'm convinced that Squarespace is the BEST option for portfolio websites short of hiring a designer which would cost significantly more for something better quality than what Squarespace has to offer. Beyond that, it's easy to customize, is a beautiful frame for portfolio work that makes the work itself look better and ultimately gives me credibility as a professional since the site just looks so good. I've put quite a bit of work into building the site over the last 9 years and change the theme every 3-4 years or so which requires days of work to get right each time. In between larger redesigns, updating the site is so easy and I know what to expect. The customer service has been outstanding for 9 years. It's more expensive than the other options out there but I'm happy to pay for how the product bolsters my work and ease of using the product. The analytics also are a huge win in allowing me to see how the site in performing - and to be able to monitor this on the go within the app.

Cons:

There are some limitations if you're very design focused like I am since the templates can only do what they were created to do which means that simple things like changing margins may not be as simple as you'd hope. There are lots of tools the "style editor" but sometimes it doesn't' cover all the bases. I've had to code things in when that was the case for things that I feel should be pretty easy to customize (like if I want an image full bleed but the template doesn't support it, you must code it in. This is only for a few select amount of customers who are detail-obsessed like I am. For the general user, the prebuilt templates are above and beyond what you'd hope for! Also, sometimes browsers have a hard time keeping up with the editor and it can freeze or crash. This has gotten massively better in the last 5 years and hope to see this continue to improve. All around, these are things I wish could be better but not complaining when there isn't anything comparable in the market for the look & functionality at a similar price point.

Shirley
Shirley
Director in UK
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Squarespace Review - The All-In-One Platform to Build a Beautiful Online Presence

Comments: Squarespace is a fantastic all-in-one platform that makes it easy for you to build an amazing looking website in no time. The templates are clean and minimalistic and give you plenty of room to showcase your content, create a stunning online store, or place some great photography in there. You get access to powerful tools like commerce, site management, analytics and more! There is also a ton of training on how to use Squarespace, so getting started couldn’t be easier. It’s free for 14 days so give it a try today!

Pros:

Are you ready to launch your online presence, but aren’t sure where to start? Squarespace offers an all-in-one platform that allows you to create a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio without the hassle of building everything from scratch. You can literally have everything up and running in less than an hour! Squarespace is an online platform where you can build your own website. There are many options and designs, so everyone is bound to find something they like. You can also create eCommerce stores and online portfolios with Squarespace. I especially love how easy it is to set up and edit with such an organized layout! It felt almost effortless. Additionally, there are tons of free templates available that look great and super professional right out of the box if you're not in a creative mood or don't have much time to work on setting up your site/store/portfolio but still want something good looking going live quickly.

Cons:

Squarespace is great for small and large businesses alike. They give you a host of free tools that allow you to create an amazing website or online store. What I loved about Squarespace was how easy it was to create my own web design, their advanced SEO features, and most importantly, their customer service has been top-notch! But if I had to find something negative, it would be that they are not made for large companies that may need more personalized or advanced features than Squarespace currently offers.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Audio Engineer in Canada
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

Easy to Use But Often Limited

Comments: I had to launch a website—with scheduling and services—in a day, and Squarespace did not disappoint. I was able to do this quickly and easily, with little reference to the user guide. When it came time to launch my own site, I carefully researched and compared Squarespace to other all-in-one solutions, and it came out on top. Most other solutions required more work to build, and it was easy to "break" their templates. It's a real challenge to make a Squarespace template look bad. That being said, there are times where you want to change the color of a header, for example, and you find this is simply not possible. You then have to go on a Google search and find the hidden CSS code for that style and paste it into the custom code window. And most of the time, it doesn't work. So I would like to see them make changes colours more intuitive and easier to do. Another thing to know: you will likely have to pay to get a feature you need, at some point. I needed to have a pop-up email subscription form, and I had to upgrade to "Business" for that. So make sure you scan the features before buying.

Pros:

The best thing about Squarespace is that you can launch a simple website in a few hours; grab a template, tweak to taste, and go. The competitors still tend to need direct coding to make them look good, but not with Squarespace. The templates are tasteful and generally easy to edit, plus there is a rich backend with tons of analytical tools and e-commerce features for when you're ready to sell. The website editor is truly WYSIWG (What You See Is What You Get) and adding sections is as easy as a click.

Cons:

Squarespace's templates look nice, but there are surprisingly few of them. I've built several sites with Squarespace, but I always grab the same podcasting template because everything else it way too specific: restaurant! Vlogger! Fashion! But precious little for general-purpose sites, with a minuscule selection for a company that's been at this for over 10 years. The WYSIWG editor can be extremely annoying as well, constantly digging into to floating menus just to make simple edits, and it's unclear where things reside sometimes. It's hard to escape the feeling that there has to be a better way. But it is still easy to use.

Henry
Henry
Digital Marketing Manager in US
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees

Simple doesn't mean low quality

Comments: My client wanted to launch a new brand with a website fast. I chose Squarespace just to get us going, with the intention of migrating over to a WordPress build in the near future. 2 years later we're still on Squarespace, with no immediate plans to change. The website's performance and optimization is consistently top-notch, edits are easy, tracking code changes work well, and enough third-party tool integrations exist to account for our needs. I wanted Squarespace because I hoped it would be quick and simple to set up. It was. I stayed with Squarespace because it's more effective and substantial than I initially hoped.

Pros:

Squarespace really is simple to set up and use. A lot of web building best practices are automated for you, with image auto-optimization, mobile-friendly templates, and ADA compliance features. A few years ago the biggest issue with simple website builders like this was performance - drag-and-drop sites tended to be slower. Not the case anymore. All my Squarespace sites load well within Google Page Speed Index benchmarks, with image compression that doesn't reduce image quality at all.

Cons:

Squarespace will cause some issues if you're at either extreme of tech savvy: If you have zero background building sites, there will be a learning curve. I know their marketing makes it sound like you could build a site with your eyes closed, but do not count on it being that simple. And on the other end, if you have deeper experience building sites and working with code, Squarespace can be a bit basic. You can't access a page's source code, block types can't be edited, and design functions are fairly limited.

Kacy
Website Owner, Ministry Developer, Content Creator in South Africa
Religious Institutions, Self Employed

Clean, simple start-up but not the smoothest system.

Comments: I use Squarespace primarily for blogging and building a brand. It is not optimal for writing, editing and photos, but it makes for a great, clean website with many options with electronic forms, pull down menus and features. Overall, it's a great product, but still very clunky and unsteady.

Pros:

It is easy for a non-expert like me to build a blog, navigate a website and make quick edits. Squarespace stands out above the rest in simplicity with drag and drop features. It does a good job with electronic forms to make a way for more to opt in and covers all the bases on what you need for a website. They offer great analytics!

Cons:

The software is very clunky. I tend to use it on my MacBook, but have learned to write content somewhere safer than putting it straight into website. It has crashed so many times, and adding pictures often takes a very long time. The iOS apps seem to work better but that's not optimal for my work. I've also struggled some with text editing and formatting. The process isn't smooth.

Stephen
Director of Communications in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Value and Simplicity, Meet Beauty!

Comments: I have now built over 10 full websites using Squarespace and each one continues to grow my knowledge and stretch my ability. As I aforementioned, you don’t need to be a pro, but if you are, designing an incredible, impactful and don’t miss this, mobile friendly website is simple and easy.

Pros:

The best thing about Squarespace is the ability to create gorgeous websites with little to zero experience. You don’t need to be an HTML wizard, but if you happen to be, you can still take full advantage of everything Squarespace has to offer.

Cons:

Honestly, it’s hard to say one. For the mid level prosumer, I haven’t found a single better option.

Eddie
Co-Founder in US
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees

Best in class product by far for several years now

Comments: I teach classes on digital marketing and entrepreneurship and ask my students to build a website without coding within a week that looks professional and generate sales from their website. SquareSpace has always helped them build a best in class product. The website we have built quickly to get our companies started have resonated well with investors and everyone always compliments the look and feel of our sites.

Pros:

I have used SquareSpace for over 5 years now, using the platform to build a minimum viable product before scaling to custom built websites, to putting up new websites that look extremely professional very quickly. Everyone who looks at the websites are impressed with how they look, not knowing it only took a few minutes to build. They continue to add functionality over the years. They have a great dedication to customer service as well that responds quickly.

Cons:

Moving some objects around was not always as intuitive as I thought they could be. If there are a tremendous amounts of data on a screen it may be slower to edit than it always was. Very minor bugs discovered on rare occasions. Just nitpicking, wonderful product.

Erin
Creator & Host in US
Broadcast Media, 2-10 Employees

A Novice Can Do It

Comments: I've had a great experience with Squarespace. I'm currently going through a website redesign. I utilized their "matchmaking service" to try and find a designer and thought it was the most efficient system. It's like online dating. You fill out a form, which is like your profile, stating what you want. You get matched up with several designers. From those you "swipe right" on five. Then it becomes up to those five to court you by sending you an email, reaching out to jump on a Zoom and you take your relationship from there. I feel like I scored. I am enjoying working with my designer. She's so knowledgeable and she understands what I'm trying to accomplish. I cannot wait for my new site to deploy.

Pros:

For the most part, anything I've tried to create on Squarespace is relatively easy. If I had questions, I was able to find a YouTube tutorial to figure it out. The sites look professional on both desktop and mobile and don't break the bank to create. You can also make your site transactional which is nice and the fees involved are reasonable.

Cons:

I am not a tech savvy person so some of the functionality requires an in-depth online lesson to recreate something I've seen, however, it is all figureoutable.

Cody
Cody
Creator in US
Publishing, 2-10 Employees

Delivers Quality and Most of the Functions You'll Ever Need

Comments: Squarespace works great for me, and the clients I've built sites for on it. It does everything that I have needed it to, and have been able to implement HTML/CSS elements when I absolutely needed to (pretty much on a novice when it comes to code). Whenever I show someone a site I've built, they are usually impressed, even though I'm mostly building on top of the work by the template designers.

Pros:

Squarespace has great templates and an easy to use, drag and drop builder. You don't need any technical or true design skills to create a solid website. The high quality templates, with predetermined styling, ensure that even a simple website looks clean and elegant. It's also easy to implement your SEO titles and tags, connect email marketing services, add Google Adsense and other plugins. The price seems pretty good for all that, though maybe slightly more expensive than other CMS options.

Cons:

The main drawback I've had is that Squarespace isn't as customizable as other CMS options, like Wix or Weebly. Sometimes I just want to move a simple element over slightly, yet this often isn't possible within the block format used by Squarespace. The flip side is that Squarespace has few if any bugs, while Wix and Weebly can get strange errors in my experience.

Marketing Specialist & Copywriter in US

Nice software, but fragile and randomly freezes or glitches

Comments: Overall it’s a pretty good experience. Although there are glitches and times when it simply freezes for no apparent reason . This can be infuriating, especially after writing a lot of content, and it will not save or update the text (we pay for the gigablast fastest business internet our ISP sells). Sometimes it will save an old draft, not the current one, this makes me want to scream. Sometimes it will delete things I don’t want it to accidentally I’m not sure what the problem is, there needs to be a general undo button. Something that can protect you if the website is glitching or acting nuts..

Pros:

The stylish look of the fonts and web design. The styles look professional enough, the competitors looked too childlike or complicated to setup. I also like that you can do most of the editing from the app, not just the laptop.

Cons:

What concerns me about this software, is the lack of ownership over all the work put into the website. Software companies these days are becoming political and illogical at times. Although my team and company doesn’t deal with anything political like that, it’s in the back of our mind’s that eventually we will need to break off from Squarespace because they have too much power over our website and servers. All it takes is one new CEO who is ‘Woke’ or a Twitter tweet with no accountability or responsibility, to blow up and a company’s online presence can be severely compromised. Like I said what we do is not even controversial, but We have seen from other marketing firms, weird issues like that concerning square space and competitors. So as time goes on and we become more profitable, the goal is to eventually break away from Square space over lack of control over our own website and servers.

Philip
Photographer in Belgium

Great Website Builder and Templates for Businesses and Artists

Comments: Overall, the Squarespace website builder has served my business well. I’m able to have professional-looking websites that deliver the message I want to get across, all in great-looking design. Coupled with the integrated online scheduler where my clients can book their appointments and the integrated marketing tools, it serves my business needs daily.

Pros:

I have 3 Squarespace websites for my photography and multimedia businesses and 1 Squarespace website for my personal work/artist portfolio. I’ve been a Squarespace user for a long time, and since then things have only improved with the choice of templates and the design possibilities. A significant advantage is that you don’t need to be tied to a template design and customize the design and add custom CSS if you want more complex customization. There are many third-party plugins available for Squarespace if you don’t have the knowledge to do it yourself, and that can make the already great starter templates even better. For businesses, Squarespace has built-in SEO and other marketing tools like newsletters, a built-in scheduling calendar for clients to book appointments if you’re a service-oriented business, and of course, there’s also the possibility for e-commerce with great web store designs and templates.

Cons:

Squarespace is still heavily focused on English-speaking and North-American customers/businesses when it comes to selling products. For example, for companies that are not based in the US, there’s still no built-in possibility to accept local payment gateways if you want to sell products or services. Many customers in EU regions prefer to pay online using their local bank payment gateways rather than credit cards. Compared to some other website builders. The ability to sell products or services using your local payment gateway is still missing in Squarespace as something that's built and that you can activate with the click of a button.

Elizabeth
Director of Development & Communications in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Easy to Customize

Comments: Using Squarespace to relaunch our website was a time consuming process, but the system made it as easy as it could be. Someone with little web design experience can make a beautiful website and concern themselves more with the content than the design. There was a bit of a learning curve, but after trial and error we were able to navigate the system and learn as we designed new pages.

Pros:

The drag and drop features of the page designs were easy to navigate and customize. When deciding what pages to include in our rebranded website, functionality was our number one concern; we wanted to be sure our current and future customers could navigate our site easily and find what they were looking for. It is great to be able to adjust and customize pieces any time instead of having to wait for a developer to create a page for us.

Cons:

The forms can be finicky and sometimes don't work for users. Because there isn't a customer service rep with onboarding it can be difficult to navigate troubleshooting. Without much coding knowledge it can be difficult to customize the size of the header for the entire website, and I wish you could chose your own fonts.

Amy
Partner & Brand Director in US

Easy drag-and-drop alternative to other web platforms

Comments: I'm a copywriter, designer and brand/marketing consultant. I've built multiple small sites myself, and on a handful of others have directed freelance designers and developers on site build-out. First Squarespace site I did was in 2016. We build websites for clients on Wordpress, Shopify and Bigcommerce as well. And tend to direct clients to Squarespace if their content will be visually-driven, perhaps a little lighter on the e-commerce side, and when they'll benefit from the ability to create new pages -- especially marketing landing pages under their own domain -- without the need to call in extra developer/programmer assistance.

Pros:

Squarespace's drag-and-drop platform makes it really easy to create a great-looking, full-functioning website... that can be organically changed, added to and otherwise modified over time. If we have clients who need to create marketing landing pages under their own URL, Squarespace is the one website platform that offers this natively and elegantly. We find ourselves needing to call in programmer/developers far less often when creating or modifying a web site on Squarespace. The ability to add forms, email captures, slide shows, etc., is all native to the platform, without needing to add a bunch of plugins. Your editing window is the actual page, so you can see what your dragging, writing, and otherwise placing on the page in a completely visual editor view. If you are someone who doesn't do coding... and likes the ability to drag sections and elements, set your own colors, padding, etc., Squarespace is really quite flexible and easy to use.

Cons:

It doesn't do a perfect job of scaling photography from desktop to mobile views. It certainly does it, but sometimes requires a little creativity to set the image focal point and/or scale the original image so that it looks good in desktop and doesn't look too big in mobile. This is less of an issue with large banner-width images than with smaller inset images. Takes a little getting used to. The only other issue we've run into is that the interface is so easy to use that we've had a client go in and make color and photo changes we'd have preferred he didn't. Easy enough to correct. But, generally, our clients are too intimidated by other platforms to get in and change things, so just something to think about and create a plan/process around on a Squarespace site.