15 years helping British businesses

About Sling

Sling is a free employee scheduling tool for managing your hourly employees. Get started for free in minutes, no credit card required!

Learn more about Sling

Pros:

Customer service is readily available and even friendly in emails.

Cons:

Sometimes it is difficult to shortlist relevant shifts and employees when setting schedules for multiple locations, especially in cases of particular employees working in more than one location.

Sling ratings

4.6
4.5
4.5
4.7

8.8/10

Sling has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 151 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Sling before?

Aurora
Aurora
Kids Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Sling for Managing Teams

Comments: Has helped me manage a team of 70 with constantly changing shifts (days/times)

Pros:

Love this products ease of use and ability to manage a large team schedule. Allos you to code people for different positions, set recurring shift times and even has a group chat to easily send out team notifications ect. Send each person's schedule directly to their phone. Great for managing a younger demographic.

Cons:

There is no way for the team member to post a shift for coverage, everything has to be done by the manager (this could also be a pro, depending on what your looking for)

Rebecca
Owner/Operator in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Using Sling changed my life

Comments: Sling has been absolutely, hands down the best software we have ever adopted. I never feel frustrated with it and it helps save me time and irritations. My employees love it too! Best decision ever!

Pros:

I love how easy it is to create a schedule and see what employees are not available, it makes completing the schedule painless and quick. I also love that you can complete it as non-published then once you are ready publish it to your employees. The notification feature telling employees when you schedule them and then again reminding them they are schedule is fantastic; my employees love that feature also. Being able to use the integrated time clock is also a great feature. There are just so many feature and customizations that it would be an asset for any type of business at any size.

Cons:

I absolutely love this software. The only thing that would be nice to add is the ability for an employee to put their availability in addition to the current feature of unavailability. Because we have many employees who work "as needed" and "very part time" this would save a lot of time on their part on entering information. We could easily see when these "flex" employees would be available to work without them having to put in an excessive amount of unavailable entries as they do now.

Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Love and Hate Relationship

Comments: We specifically chose this app because it integrated with Gusto, but the integration does not work well and the payroll report integration with gusto, does not work at all. Customer service is super hard to get hold of, they don't know what is going on, and it has been 3 months and the issue is still not fixed. It was difficult transferring everything over to sling and now we are stuck with them until we can switch over to a new company. Very disappointed with the integration and the lack of support. They have no phone number to call, it is only through a chat, that they take long to respond.

Pros:

Creating, tracking and duplicating shifts works really well

Cons:

Integration with Gusto and customer support.

Susan
Accounting in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

A Streamlined Timeclock System for Billable Contractor Hours

Pros:

The timeclock system is very easy to use, and you can effortlessly apply filters to execute payroll and AR procedures.

Cons:

The customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Not all agents are bad [Thank you [sensitive content hidden] for saving us!], but most of the time the responses are generic, and provide no real solution.

LINDA
ED Office and Billing Coordinator in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

ED SLING SCHEDULING

Comments: It works with a staff of over 50 associates and makes scheduling much simpler with that number of staff. Covering 12- 15 different shifts per day in a 24/7 department.

Pros:

The ease all the staff can enter the dates they want to work, so schedules can be covered. Cuts down on phone calls of management to see who is available for uncovered shits and days.

Cons:

I would like the Staff- Off that day Days to be at the top of the Schedule so the person doing the scheduling would know who not to look for on that shift.

Director of Operations in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Agency Scheduling

Comments: It's a cost effective scheduling dashboard, that I can personally recommend despite the occasional bug. It will help you organize staff and operations with a quickness - transitioning to this system was very easy.

Pros:

Transparent scheduling features, ease of use of the timeclock to report hours, and ability to modify reports through dates, locations, and employees.

Cons:

Customer service usually doesn't have an answer for you - although they are polite - I wish that some of these bugs we encountered were ironed out sooner than later.

Scott
General Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Sling is Wonderful!!!

Pros:

This software is very helpful for scheduling, tracking time punches, and reporting. Especially when integrated with Toast, Sling is excellent! The mobile functionality of Sling is also incredibly important and useful.

Cons:

The user interface in the mobile app leaves a bit to be desired.

ANGELA
Administration in US
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Sling is a must have!

Comments: Easy set up, many options for preferences. Employees found it super easy to use, minimal training involved. I like that you can schedule shifts, then assign employees to them. Customer service is very helpful and quick to respond.

Pros:

Very easy to use, visually easy to read both in scheduling and time cards.

Cons:

Can't think of anything! Zero complaints from me!

Sarah
Sarah
Speech Language Pathologist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Features, functions, and fabulous

Comments: Despite the desperate cheerleader narratives about every, single one of their features (we get it, it's cool guys), some of their offerings really are innovative and a welcome addition to business management software that you can't find in any of their competitors (geofencing clock in/out is possibly the best thing I've ever heard), their costs are the lowest I've ever seen and their easy to navigate platform is the most comprehensive I've ever found. Even if they charged 5 or 10x what they are, it would still be an easy choice.

Pros:

This software was easy to use and implement, intuitive, colorful, well labeled, directive, fluid, and flexible. There are a lot of options available and it offers a lot od customization during both set up and operation. I especially loved that the process to use sling, and the web application, was fast and understandable trying to get a small start up off the ground has me already spread thin on time and money, so sling really packs a punch for it's cost, which literally made my jaw drop, unparalleled!

Cons:

The company website (not the web application itself) was cumbersome and their prose was annoyingly perky. Seeing as they rambled on and on in long, overly adulating paragraphs about each one of their features, by the time I got to the "what's included in all packages/price points" section, I was a little disappointed about all the features not included (successful marketing ploy) but disappointing nonetheless.

Jane
Quality Assurance Analyst in Philippines
Individual & Family Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Recommended for team communication!

5.0 last month New

Comments: So far, Sling has been very reliable from being a communication tool to a scheduling tool.

Pros:

I love you can easily communicate with either a co worker to the higher management with just a few clicks.

Cons:

Nothing really. I loved the overall product experience.

Marlesha
Math Learning Center Specialist in US

GREAT for managing many employees with unusual/atypical Shifts. Very scaleable, efficiency improves.

Pros:

So many 'Pros'!! -- - supports multiple work sites/locations. - supports different employee roles/titles. - supports large (unlimited?) number of employees. - can 'deactivate' employees & then reinstate them at a later date (no need to delete the employee's entire profile). - There are even more 'Pros' that we haven't fully explored yet, such as employees communicating with each other through the app to arrange shift swaps, etc. So much potential!! I work at a college Math Learning Center where we provide additional assistance to students seeking extra math support. Having a scheduling app/software that can manage many employees with atypical/changing/unusual shifts is crucial!! We employ both full-time permanent staff and temporary students tutors and with our temporary staff we have a lot of turnover as students come-and-go. Thus we have changes to the schedule constantly. So for us, a dynamic system is a must. The Sling support staff is also very responsive and open to suggestions and ideas. Some of my suggestions have been incorporated, such as being able to included a 'break' duration for a shift which then is subtracted from the shift hour total. These changes have made Sling even more useful! I am so thrilled to have found this FREE scheduling web application. We don't have the budget to pay for a scheduling software/app, yet we needed a tool that could handle our very specific and complicated needs. We found it in Sling!!

Cons:

- Would like to be able to add more details about each employee, such as customized checkboxes for employee 'expertise'. (There is a 'notes' section for each employee profile, which is nice.) - Be able to make tags/notes for certain dates, such as 'holiday' or 'extended day' to remind the scheduler of different scheduling needs. - Have a shift-responsibilities designation option, such as 'Opener' or 'Closer' - Would like to be able to 'collapse' some of the hours from view and/or designate a viewing window that shows only when our center is open (must be unique by location). Though being able to schedule shifts beyond 'operating hours' is needed (set-up, take-down time) but many hours before and after our operating hours don't need to be displayed. - Would like there to be a way to designate general staff 'types' (i.e. permanent vs temporary) not just different employee position. A Permanent staff member had additional responsibilities and must be staffed at all times, so being able to look at the shifts of just Permanent staff would be beneficial. - More customizable options for the print-view. All these cons, if addressed, would just be icing on the cake. The app, as it is now, is completely functional and covers all the necessities and more!

Leila
National Director in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Sling will make your life easier.

Comments: It solved the problem of errors in scheduling, errors in timesheet/ payroll reporting, etc. Staff being able to communicate directly with one another to fill or swap shifts made management's life easier.

Pros:

Everything about this product streamlined what we were already doing in a way that increased productivity and decreased time bleed.

Cons:

It would be nice if it could be integrated easily into my Google suite as well. I still have to download spreadsheets and copy/ paste them into google sheets for my business.

Courtney
Manager in US
Government Relations, 11–50 Employees

Sling Software Saved Me So Much Time!

Comments: I have used Sling for a few years now -- it meets my needs and goes above an beyond for the products it offers to the user. Sling support staff have been responsive to my needs and questions. A Great Product!

Pros:

Above all, I love that Sling has saved me so much time when making the schedule for my employees! Used to take 3-4 hours, now it only takes me approximately 1 hour to create a weekly schedule. Sling is accessible by computer and by mobile application. I love that it has many different colors for the different shifts that I need to create. Love that I can copy and paste shifts.

Cons:

I wish that the mobile application gave me a total count of hours for each employee. When approving an employee to pick up an extra shift, I currently need to go to a computer to see to total count of hours for that individual before I can approve. Wish I could see total count of hours on my phone, so that I can approve when I am initially notified (which is usually an app notification to my phone).

Lynn
Owner in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

This app is a game changer

Comments: Sling is excellent! I have been using it for several years and it’s getting better every year. I highly recommend it. It’s allows real time scheduling for team members as well as time off requests, shift notifications and several more options. It’s extremely convenient and easy to use. There are great simple features like colour blocking specific roles, it’s the little things that count. Along with all of that there is virtually no annoying advertising. Sling has created a seamless connection between schedule creators and team members creating easy communication and boundaries. Thank you Sling for generously offering such a great app.

Pros:

There are so many options and it’s very easy to use from both the administrator and users point of view. It’s constantly being updated for improvements and there is absolutely no advertising on the free version.

Cons:

It’s not really a con more of a possible option in the future and perhaps this is already an option. It would be great if it could link to iCal for apple users.

Susan
Director in US
Libraries, 2–10 Employees

Free option is good for us

Comments: It was just what I was looking for for scheduling employees. The app is great so that you can see who is working when. Because I use the free version, it fits our tight budget as well

Pros:

I like that it is free and it makes it easy to see who is working when. I can color code people and see when they are not available and want time off. We also can communicate and I get updates immediately in my email.

Cons:

There isn't an option to calendar meetings so I get around it by using the Employee feature to name repeating meetings. I also would like the Notes feature to be more prominent. It would be nice to know there is a caveat on a shift that we need to know about.

Vanessa
Head of Quality Care and Compliance in US
Veterinary, 11–50 Employees

Sling for Scheduling

Comments: Overall I am pleased with this software, our employees never have any negative feedback which is always nice.

Pros:

I really appreciate that there is an accessible employee database. This feature allows me to not have to add every employee on my personal phone because I can reference the database for needed information. I also quite like the Newsfeed feature. We currently have different categories in which to post pertinent information. It is helpful in sharing information with the team when we are all not present.

Cons:

I do not like that when on my desktop, the Newsfeed will alert me about new posts but the alert will not go away after I review the posts.

Shelly
Co-Owner/GM in US
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

Sling

Comments: It’s a great tool to be able to easily schedule so many college employees with so many different schedules`

Pros:

I like how easy it is to schedule employees

Cons:

It’s harder to use on my ipad than on my computer b ut still very easy to use

Robert
Clinic Manager in US
Veterinary, 11–50 Employees

The great hidden treasure

Comments: It just works. No fuss, no errors, no learning curve, just get on and schedule.

Pros:

Although 'sling.is' is not as well known as some of the bigger names it is absolutely one of the best scheduling programs I have used.

Cons:

No cons that I can think of. The software just works and that is hugely important to me.

Tom
Head Golf Professional in US
Sports, 11–50 Employees

Really Enjoy using product. Makes my scheduling so much easier.

Comments: Love the app for scheduling all my staffing needs.
Thanks for your efforts!!!

Pros:

Ease of use for multiple operations. Ease of use for employees. Great Work. Keep it UP!!!!

Cons:

Cant think of much, sorry. Sometimes when using edit feature for a REPEATING Shift you are unable to do a few, possibly week at a time??? its either All Future Shifts or Just this one. Could we get more options. like i said cant think of much.........

Rebekah
Enrollment counselor in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Sling - scheduling made easy!

Comments: Overall, I have really enjoyed Sling. It has helped me keep track of my own personal schedule

Pros:

Sling makes creating your schedule so easy. Personally, I travel a lot for my job, so being able to track each hour of my day through sling has made things much easier. I also like how easy it is to just request time off for vacation and medical!

Cons:

Can’t really see other team members shifts, so it makes it hard to keep track of what other team members schedules look like through out the day. It would be great to have more of a view.

Roberto Franco Carlo
CEO in Spain
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Best scheduling planner for free on the market, and premium has it all!

Comments: Since we are using Sling, our employees have the big picture what is going on. Everybody ca control easily when and where to work, how much they worked and can change duties, ask for free time and more. It makes it simple and is easy accessible.

Pros:

The scheduling works phantastic and is easy tu use. The mobile application is always syncronized, so people know immediately when things change. The interface is clear and well optimized. A great tool for everyday´s work.

Cons:

It works only online, no cache used on mobile apps. So when you don´t have mobile coverage, no data shown. Sometimes old data are better tha no data.

Nicole
Human Resources in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

Helpful and Cost Effective

Pros:

My company uses the free version of Sling, and for something that is cost free it's really wonderful. It's easy to navigate, and the messaging system has come in handy for us when our main method of communication (Slack) is down. We've tried several other paid and unpaid employee scheduling programs, and Sling has been the best one by far.

Cons:

The only issue we have is that despite how many times we click "publish all future shifts", we still have to publish each new weeks shifts so that everyone can see. This is a very minor inconvenience though, as it's easy to quickly publish shifts.

Jessica
Pharmacy Technician Supervisor in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great program to use for scheduling

Pros:

We have over 80 people in our department and Sling is our go to for scheduling. We use the free version, so we do not have all the features, but this system is easy to use and great for communicating updates to all of our staff vs sending an email. We are able to send "blast" messages.

Cons:

I wish there was an easier way to input rather than dragging or entering one by one (if they are not on a recurring schedule). Also, I would love to have the ability to export the schedule to Excel so we are able to post a paper copy.

Neeraja
Student in India
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best scheduling/clocking in software out there

Comments: Overall, I think Sling is great for scheduling and every organization should make use of it!

Pros:

It is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. It has amazing features such as swapping shifts, offering shifts, and shifting schedules due to holidays. You can ensure the employee is clocking in from the right location or if the job is remote you can ignore the location. Gives reminders to employees when a new shift is available or when their shift is about to start.

Cons:

Sometimes, the app gets glitchy and even after the shift gets over, it doesn't let you clock out which can get annoying especially if there is another shift right after and you can't clock in for it.

Gloria
President in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Free Senior Fitness Classes

Comments: Overall, this is a good employee scheduler

Pros:

Appreciate the features offered in is free platform, and the efficiency for communicating to contractors.

Cons:

The 2022 free trial has reduced much of the service originally offered. Makes it less useful to consider adding features.