CLusterControl is a mature and easy to use product for management of database clustering software.

Reviewed on 21/09/2017
Martijn W.
Manager Consultancy & Training
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been following SeveralNines a couple of years and along with that way, I discovered the maturity of their product ClusterControl. All kinds of companies find their way to optimal data, for example, companies which are operating several database types that all need attending to. For such companies, Cluster Control is a very interesting solution to consider as it automates a lot of important tasks. But also at larger companies like VidaXL with a few dozen database nodes, the automatic recovery features for clusters are a great enrichment for their database operations.

Pros: 1. Automatic recovery of database (replication) clusters.
2. In my opinion one of the biggest challenges is to have in-depth knowledge about all their different database platforms being used. The builtin intelligence, advisory and health checking features of ClusterControl helps to overcome a big chunk of that gap.
3. Ease of deployment, in less then 15 minutes we are able to get a MariaDB or Percona cluster running.

Cons: Faster and further development of features for other database platforms besides MySQL and MongoDB would be encouraged by me. For example PostgreSQL features and maturity could be improved.

by Severalnines on 25/09/2017

Thank you for the feedback! We are working to add more features and more database technologies with each release! PostgreSQL is definitely a priority for us :)

Very easy to deploy a cluster, also it facilitates administration and monitoring.

Reviewed on 23/09/2017
Michel B.
IT Applications Manager
Customer Support

Pros: The numerous templates that facilitates the deployment of servers, the configuration of cluster, proxies, keepalive service and also the planning of backups. It is the little brother of Oracle Enterprise Manager software that I did used before for oracle databases

Cons: I have no cons on the technical side. I find only the price per node a little high, it should be great to have a better price for qualification and development servers ans also standalone ones.

by Severalnines on 25/09/2017

Thank you for your review and feedback! We deeply value you as a customer and hope to continue to work with you in the future! We are always evaluating our pricing structures and will continue to try to find the balance between our clients value and our pricing.

good software

Reviewed on 31/08/2018
Okan B.
IT Systems Lead
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: experience is good you can rely on this software dashboard is great. you can spot the problems right away.

Pros: it gives you a good overall situation overview. you can see current load of servers, queries per sec, node health status etc. the query type distribution is also great. before the cc app i do not know how i managed to keep things up, now i feel comfortable when i see the cc dashboard.

Cons: i can not seem to get the active query log to work correctly. detailed tutorials about setting up the software and how to use features are must. i like to know how stuff works so details about inner workings should exist in a humanly understandable format. more details about what is going on right now would be great for eg. the connection count where does all that connection come from which IP or dbuser. things like that would increase the value of the product undoubtedly.

by Severalnines on 04/09/2018

Thank you for your feedback, I recommend opening a support ticket to ask your questions re the query log, I'll bet we can help you figure it all out.

We start using clustercontrol and stopped looking for alternatives

Reviewed on 01/03/2018
Musa M.
Systems Administrator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are now able to scale up to meet user demand as well as administer our databases from a single point.

Pros: Ease of use is one. We love the features and how it brings some other related services under one administrative control e.g. haproxy. Reports in their various forms and the ability to create custom reports are some of the features we're most in love with as well. Clustercontrols's quick provisioning and decommissioning is a right fit for our scaling needs.

Cons: Customer support. For some reason I am not able to reach customer support via email and for that reason we're stuck using the community edition with reduced features at this time.

by Severalnines on 05/03/2018

Thank you for the feedback, I will make sure we get in touch with you to make sure you get the support you need!

Install it once, and be prepared to enjoy database stability and scalability forever!

Reviewed on 23/09/2017
Sascha E.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The software allowed us to easily install a database cluster and hand it over to the customer on a very tight budget so he can himself keep an eye on it whenever he likes. The stability of the software is great!

Pros: It just works! In 22 years of web development, I have never come across a software that gave such a positive experience in the long run! You can almost install and forget about it, except that you should never forget about an installed piece of software as an administrator.

Cons: I don't like to see notices like "Detailed Alarm notifications are not available in the Community Edition.". I understand the need for an upsell, but I'd prefer if they would make it more subtle.

by Severalnines on 25/09/2017

Thank you for the feedback and great review! We definitely understand your frustration with the notifications, we think the Dev Studio notifications, chat integrations and monitoring alerts are some pretty neat features too. We do, however, offer the ability to do query monitoring and let you create custom advisers to aid in your monitoring efforts.

Pleasure to use, shows me exactly what is going on in my clusters

Reviewed on 15/09/2017
Neil B.
IT Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The graphing, ability to check error logs centrally. The fact it sends out alerts for issues and an alert when the issue is resolved.

Cons: I cannot think of anything that I do not like about this software. If I had to give one thing I would say it would be nice have themes for the Overview as I prefer a darker screen.

by Severalnines on 19/09/2017

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate having you as a ClusterControl user. Make sure to check out the Developer Studio where you can write custom scripts to monitor and send alerts about specific things you might care about.

I am very satisfied with the trial - features, complete documentation, great MySQL/Galera resources.

Reviewed on 21/03/2018
Asparuh P.
MySQL DBA, Senior IT Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have a lot of features similar to Oracle Enterprise Manager for MySQL. Without a tool like S9S ClusterControl it will be very hard to perform realtime monitoring, to be productive and to act proactively. There are nice gadgets integrated with the tool which could help to the DBA's tasks.

Pros: Ability to monitor and control all the clusters at one place and notify you in case of trouble. We are thankful for the extended trial and the free customer support for that time. There was also nice dedicated tech demo for our team, which help us a lot to evaluate the product.

Cons: There are some limitations and missing features compared to some other DBA tools, but I believe S9S team is working hard to enrich the application and they are listening to their customers. Price schema compared to competitors is not so flexible (it is a bit costly to monitor large number of servers), but I believe that the S9's sales team could negotiate in order to successfully close the deal.

by Severalnines on 26/03/2018

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

Great product to assist in DB Cluster setup and overview

Cory S.
Gambling & Casinos, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall very happy with Several Nines and Cluster Control and I am happy our company engages with them.

Pros: * Easy to setup a new cluster or adding a node to a cluster
* Easy to check the status variables of all nodes via the web dashboard

Cons: * my.cnf file templates are difficult to maintain or add to the system
* Upgrading to new version usually causes hand full of issues
* Creates zombie threads in Centos that have to be cleaned up with a deamon restart

by Severalnines on 30/08/2018

Thank you for the review, we're so grateful to have you as a customer and value your inputs! I passed your feedback on to the product team.

Great software for managing databases

Reviewed on 26/02/2019
Jeffrey P.
Lead Cloud Enginer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: So far we have only done an initial evaluation of ClusterControl and found it to be very good, but too much is changing with our backend systems right now to move forward with any possible purchase decisions. That being said we definitely see where it can solve some of our biggest problems that we have encountered with our MySQL database.

Pros: Makes many tasks that are typically very difficult very easy like monitoring, automatically failing over in case of a server problem, building new database servers and managing replication.

Cons: It would be nice to have tighter integration with MaxScale to have more options for sql aware proxies.

by Severalnines on 27/02/2019

Thanks for your feedback on increasing Maxscale integration, I will pass it along to our Product team

enjoying using this software since it is very helpful and interactive software

Reviewed on 02/03/2018
senior staff
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Data management

Pros: i like cluster control due to its ability to centralize the communication from both analog and digital I/O . Monitoring system activities is easy Eg managing data record on a large scale like data for organization which could have been tedious to handle.

Cons: involves keen and logical thinking and has got limitations in diffrent environments in which the software is working for example When using windows CE. when a control overlaps the cluster shell in a Touch Panel VI, the entire control is still completely visible when you build the VI into an application. If the control is completely outside the cluster shell, the control will not be not visible.

by Severalnines on 05/03/2018

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed it along to the Product team

For reference here is a link of the browsers we support https://severalnines.com/docs/requirements.html#supported-browsers

very good cross platform tool

Reviewed on 05/03/2018
Alexander B.
IT Engineer
Computer Games, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: maybe this is the best solution, even community version, for DB tuning!

Pros: very good dashboards, you can find weak places on comparing dashboards values in one place.
Maybe the best solution for tuning databases values.

Cons: 1. you couldn't skip some alerts. For example, you have alert from category DBHealth about Use wsrep_sst_method=xtrabackup-v2 instead. But I don't like to use it and I don't like to skip all the warnings of DBHealth category .
2. It could be better if there was a line, across all dashboards. So for example, you put your mouse point on one place of dashboard and the line shows the statement on other - this would be really good.
3. Not good, that you don't show prices for commercial solutions(
But You have made something really cool

by Severalnines on 07/03/2018

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass it along to the product team

It's a amazing software

Adnan O.
Computer Engineer
Information Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I configured and managed Galera Cluster with cluster control, it's most successfull.

Pros: It's completely working without manuel configuration.
It's very successful for fail over scenerio

Cons: Price is so high
Maybe support is not enough

by Severalnines on 30/08/2018

Thank you for the feedback on our pricing, we feel we are pretty competitive with the market but it's always hard in an open source world. Feel free to reach out to us we may be able to work a deal that works for both of us.

Easy clustering of sql servers

Reviewed on 18/09/2017
Kenneth E.
CTO
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Navigation and ease of use. Cluster control is one of the most robust server control when it comes to RDS.

Cons: Quite expensive for a startup. We get it, you make it easy for us to get hoked up with the product. But the trial is too short to play with. It's also expensive.

by Severalnines on 19/09/2017

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it. We can definitely extend your trial (which we do on a case-by-case basis) to make sure you have all the time you need to justify the spend. We are also working on a startup program to provide some more creative ways of introducing it into your organization, if you're interested in piloting it with us give us a shout :)

Galera Cluster Made easy

Christian K.
Cloud Architect
Research, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We evaluated owncloud vs nextcloud in enterprise scale (5000+) users and the documentation told us to use a Galera Cluster but we did not had any idea about how to set it up.
So we needed a quick way to set it up w/o studying the docs for hours.
The I discovered ClusterControl, installed it and followed the guide in the docs and what should I say, we had a 3 node Galera Cluster with load balancer in front in less than 30 minutes. It was ridiculous (in a positive way).

Pros: It's the easiest way to septup a Galera Cluster plus load balancer of choice without having no idea about Galera whatsoever. Plus the ontop features like backup, replication are a charm.

Cons: The UI feels a bit crowded at first, so one has to dig around a bit before one finds the right place.

by Severalnines on 30/08/2018

Thanks for the feedback, Id love to know what we could do to get those two points from you!

The quickest way to deploy a good Cluster in a few steps.

Reviewed on 21/09/2017
Javier F.
Software Engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I start to use it without know any about this type of clusters, thanks to this I setted up my first MySQL Cluster and it introduce me to this scope.

Pros: The ease to set up it and start to use it. If you haven't deploy any Cluster before, this is the better way to do it.

by Severalnines on 25/09/2017

Thank you for the review! That is exactly what we want to hear as we think ClusterControl is great for the SysAdmin or DevOps folks who aren't familiar with clustering but need to get it done :)

Excellent piece of software

Reviewed on 18/10/2017
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Makes life as a DBA easy.

Pros: Excellent piece of software. Enables us to control all our servers across the enterprise and monitor server health easily.

Cons: Can sometimes be a little cludgy when adding single instances. Postgresql support very limited and only monitors very basic streaming replication.

by Severalnines on 20/10/2017

Thank you for the positive review and also for the feedback. When it comes to PostgreSQL we have a lot in the works to support it more!

Great as a basic monitoring and dashboard tool

Reviewed on 01/03/2018
Glyn A.
DBA
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easy visibility of multiple Galera clusters.

Pros: Excellent support for MySQL and Galera clustering, really ahead of the game here and nicely done.

Cons: Very Naive monitoring of PostgreSQL systems, only seems to support the most basic of streaming replication setups.

by Severalnines on 07/03/2018

Thanks for your feedback, we are working at beefing up our PostgreSQL support!

ClusterControl is an all in one database management platform with a tons of features

Reviewed on 12/08/2019
Mohammed F.
Technology Implementation Engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments:

Pros: We have tested the cluster control tool trial. It's loaded with tons of database management features and it is reliable. Some of the key features of this tool is as follows. Easy to deploy and manage production database systems.
Advanced Auto recovery during node failures.
Database servers can be scaled and managed easily.
Multi node cluster support.
Galera support for MySQL.
MongoDB replication and Sharding clusters.
Scheduled auto backup.
Advanced database monitoring with integrated tools to gain insight from metrics.
Excellent support team.

Cons: Need to include features for managing other DBMS and NoSQL database like Hbase etc.

by Severalnines on 13/08/2019

Thank you for your review, We appreciate the feedback on adding new databases, feel free to reach out directly with your recommendations and we will take a look.

Not fully tested

Stephen L.
Senior Software Engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I loved the trial I had of cluster control. It provides an aws rds type layer on top of a galera cluster. It also promises cluster recovery in the event of crashed nodes.

Cons: I didn't get a chance to fully test all of the features so I can't comment as to the reliability of all the promised functionality.

by Severalnines on 30/08/2018

Thanks for the feedback, hope you get to spend some more time with the product in the future!

My honest review of CC 1.7.1

Reviewed on 05/03/2019
Raul G.
Cloud solutions team leader
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Gets job done hands down

Pros: Very simple to operate
Intuitive
Great support

Cons: Nothing significant comes to my mind, no cons yet

by Severalnines on 11/03/2019

Thank you for the feedback, if you run into any issues remember you have Enterprise support during your trial period

Amazed.

Reviewed on 14/09/2017
Juan V.
Linux storage administrator
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Ease of use. Being able to have my Kubernetes Galera clúster auto discovered. Graphs and insight to my cluster.

Pros: I love how intuitive the interface is. Also, how easy it is to move around and find the things I need. Love the product.

by Severalnines on 17/09/2017

Thanks for the great feedback, Juan, it's much appreciated. If you're also using Docker, look out for some future updates, which we'll publish soon. Cheers, JJ - Severalnines Team

ClusterControl Review

Reviewed on 30/08/2018
Joseph O.
Gambling & Casinos, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are much better with it, than without it.

Pros: I like the monitoring and graphing. It's a great way to centralize management of multiple systems.

Cons: No easy way to have a free license for testing features in a sandbox environment without obtaining temporary license.
No way to see top processes and the resources they are consuming and be able to kill processes.
ClusterControl screen refresh can be extremely slow, and even require restart when open for periods of time.
Documentation is lacking in many respects on how to's and just general definitions of things are too generic.

by Severalnines on 04/09/2018

Thank you for your feedback! We value you as a customer and appreciate your inputs, they have been passed along to the product team

Great and easy to use software

Reviewed on 26/02/2019
Marcus M.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We're using ClusterControl to manage our Galera Cluster, or better, ClusterConrtol cares about our Galera Cluster so we can focus on our main tasks.

Pros: ItÄs easy to configure and once setup, you dont need to care about it. Everything will be done automatically without deep knowledege for MySQL / Galera Clusters.

Cons: The Pricing could be better / support Start-Ups.

by Severalnines on 27/02/2019

Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking at ways to improve our pricing model so please make sure you talk with our sales reps as there are quantity and other discounts available.

Cluster Control- One of the best all in 1 DB system

Abilash P.
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Enterprise solutions - multi tenant, multi vendors

Pros: Great usability and feature rich with umpteen DBs in one place
Good in monitoring and scalability

Cons: More help or info in the GUI would be great

by Severalnines on 30/08/2018

Thank you for the feedback on the UI, we've made a ton of changes this year and plan on many more to make it more user friendly

Great experience for devops

Reviewed on 11/08/2018
Giovanny G.
Consultant
Telecommunications, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: To test different distributions and different infrastructure layouts was very easy using cluster control, even with the community version

Pros: Ease of use, monitoring and backup features

Cons: Couldn’t find how to change some configuration settings like the replication lag

by Severalnines on 21/08/2018

Thanks for the kind words!