SQL is getting better as it grows older

Reviewed on 21/11/2019
Imi C.
MIS Developer
Political Organization, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: SQL Server centralized my data and allows my staff to "believe" that they are working in Excel, It is super fast for loading data from the server, and allow large data set that will normally take hours, or even crash the Excel spreadsheet to load without any issue.
When I am ready for a web app.. SQL server is easy as piece to develop a simple CRUD application and push live.
It seem to connect to every thing - from MS Word Mail merge, MS Excel, MS Access and of course for development environment such as Visual Studios.
One Database ( Centralized) and many presentation modes for the end users. I love it!

Pros: MS SQL Server is certainly a competently relational database engine, with reporting service and now R.
Easy to install for small onpremise application.
Easy to administer, easy to backup, easy because it is a Microsoft application.
It is so easy that most of the application today I work on seem to be pulling data from SQL into Excel and or Power BI.
You can start from free version and expand as time goes by.
The management studio take the pain our of scripting, and the online support community most likely have your questions answered with T-SQL scripts for copy and pasting.
If you deciding on an option for an Relational Database system - you should look at this as your most productive option. It allows you to focus on the problem by making the technology easy.

Cons: The new the version, the more memory intensive this management studio will become.
Microsoft need to create some more easy to use tool for change control and change tracking.
Backward compatibility - if you used a higher version during development, then it become a pain to use a lower version during production environment.

This sequel is better

Reviewed on 07/10/2019
Quentin G.
Products Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Pros: It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Cons: Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

best of server

Reviewed on 25/09/2019
Information System Administrator
Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have using this more than 5 years , by comparing with other server platforms sql server te best of easy use for developers as well as Administrators

Pros: It was easy of access to manage SQL server agent can manage most required part with automate rather than doing manual And also design with more user friendly compare with others

Cons: While queries of data some times have to convert it to tostring, but I hope its possible to identify and convert automatically, then developers will reduse their codings

Best DBMS tool for scalable enterprises

Reviewed on 16/05/2019
Surender B.
Technical Lead
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience is 100% satisfactory because of its robust feature. I recommend this to all either its a large or small scale compan y because SQL server can handle large quantities of data and process it smoothly. Just loving it.

Pros: Microsoft SQL server is one of the best database management system that provide top rated performance optimisation with SQL queries, below is the list of top highlights: 1. Richness of user interface that provides ease of use with cool features like dock able windows. 2. Intelligence window is prominent feature that saves a lot of development time up to large extent. 3. Code debugging and performance tuning with query flow maps is the best features that assures about code optimisation. 4. Microsoft SQL Server Agent is provided with this software and that runs the automatic jobs in very secure way and later we can track the statements executed. 5. We can filter out the records in SQL Server Agent interface based on our interest. 6. Code snippet manager makes it easy to write high standard code that is perfact for code convention. 7. Most prominent feature is that it can handle large quantities of data, runs automatic jobs with concurrent transactions. 8. At last it's a Microsoft product that provides a belief to users.

Cons: I have been using SQL server from version 2012 to 2014 and never troubled with SQL server's performance in any way. However I feel that error details must long descriptive when statement have some syntax error. Sometime its pathetic when we wants to know the exact error line but is hints the whole block of code instead of exact line number. Otherwise Its a great product and happy with it.

Perfect for all types of workloads!

Reviewed on 04/04/2019
Technical Architect
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Have used SQL Server as a a Relational Database (RDBMS) for the past 15 years, primarily to support SAP based enterprise workloads. Microsoft's development of SQL Server has been fuelled by its largest customer - SAP, in order to provide better functionality to rival its competition (Oracle, DB2, Informix (who remembers this one?). I started with MSSQL 2000 and boy has it come a long way. MSSQL versions are denoted via the year and is still a practice till today, similar to how Microsoft denotes its Windows versions. To date, the latest version of MSSQL 2017 is also supported on SAP, and I am sure once MSSQL 2019 is released later this year it would also be certified by SAP.

Pros: The review is based on my experience of using SQL Server as a database with SAP. What I like about MSSQL :
- ACID compliant like any enterprise based RDBMS (Oracle, IBM DB2, SAP HANA)
- Runs well and scales well with commodity x86 hardware
- Various editions to suit customer needs and requirements. For example Express Edition for small workloads and is free, or all the way to Enterprise Edition for state-of-the-art functionality (High-Availability, Disaster Recovery etc. to prevent Single-Points-of-Failure). Its current functionality definitely rivals the existing enterprise RDBMS's
- Straightforward learning curve as it is Windows based. Unlike other RDBMS's (e.g. Oracle or DB2), administering a MSSQL DB is very easy GUI (SQL Server Management Studio) is very easy to use especially if coming from Oracle/DB2, or if you're learning from scratch
- Supports Linux (finally!) - MSSQL is no longer limited to the Windows platform, and Microsoft has released version on Linux to compete with the likes of Oracle, DB2, etc.

Cons: Over my years of using MSSQL have encountered numerous bugs (performance issues, corrupted data, etc.) but these are normal with other RDBMS's (Oracle, DB2, SAP HANA, etc.) given the enterprise nature of the workloads. Can't really think of any other disadvantages.

SQL Server is the backbone of my life!

Reviewed on 04/02/2019
Griffin B.
Senior Strategic Planning Analyst
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, my experience with SQL Server is amazing! I am able to store all of our Las Vegas luxury casino data (gaming, hotel, food & beverage, entertainment, etc.) and query that for information that we then turn into automated or ad-hoc reports. These then go to the operators of the business as well as the executives who analyze the reports and make better decisions daily, weekly, and monthly. The goal is simple: just become better over time...better than you were last year, last month, last week. And SQL Server is the vehicle to empower your organization to find those valuable insights hiding in plain sight to do just that!

Pros: I absolutely LOVE SQL Server. It is my favorite software to use because the possibilities for query-writing are endless. I would say this is the most reliable and flexible of all the database software I have ever used. SQL Server allows you to write in T-SQL (T = transact, SQL = structured query language), which means that you can create variables, use temp tables, and write code in a procedural format that runs akin to a module in other programming languages. We use SQL Server 2008 at work, though I am really loving the new features in the latest version (as of today) SQL Server 2016. Overall, SQL Server is a platform for creating table schema, storing information, and then writing scripts (queries) to manipulate that data--to find insights that are useful to making better business decisions. The interface is easy to understand, the error-checking is strong (and actually tells you what is wrong). It doesn't hold your hand like other simplified coding languages, but it becomes very reliable and easy to use once you obtain a solid foundation in relational database theory and SQL language.

Cons: Hmm...if I had to speak ill of SQL Server...I would probably say that it is a bit tricky to get up to speed quickly with. There's a lot to it, so to speak, so it's taken me the better part of five years working in the data analytics industry to finally say that I feel I am completely proficient in utilizing the software to its full potential. Topics such as query optimization remain my areas of biggest weakness. I can write a query to pull any kind of desired information; however, the art lies in being able to pull it quickly and with reasonable efficiency. If your query takes more than 15 minutes (or even hours!) to run, it's probably not written correctly and likely poses a major threat to the server you are connecting to (and tying up!) in the process. I would like more information in the software (GUIs, warnings, etc.) regarding poorly-written queries from an execution standpoint.

SQL Server 2016 - Features Review

Reviewed on 20/12/2018
Senior Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall experience with SQL server 2016 is very nice and excited in my perceptions due to Better support for memory optimzed tables, Built in JSON support, Stretch DB concepts, Query Store and dynamic temp db according to size and presence of CPU in the databases.

Pros: In our project we have been migrated from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to SQL server 2016 directly for all our databases & SSIS packages. There are many features that was available to use for the projects and some of those are: 1. Data was always encrypted, so less vulnerable to SQL injections and useful to take a backup when database is in motion. Prior version (Before SQL server 2016) support only when databases is in Rest.
2. Data/Software Migration is very useful from prior version without any issues or taking any time. It took only set of testing activities and 2 hours of trun around time to get it upgraded.
3. Very simillar like XML TSQL clause created in SQL 2005, in SQL 2016 JSON clause T-SQL has been created for JSON output from querying database objects.
4. In prior versions we have to wait for long running query to capture, however in SQL server 2016 ability to view the execution plan as the query is active on the system.
5. Strecth Database is a new concept that has been created and stored in Azure. However in the background it is shown as single databases for user views.

Cons: Only I know very least number of disadvantages this MS SQL server 2016 is having: 1. Enterprise pricing may be costly as some of the organisation cant afford for the count of data they are having.
2 With the performance tuning, Microsoft SQL Server will be having some gobble resources.

Easy to configure, difficult to master

Reviewed on 17/10/2018
Systems Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easily the most intuitive RDBMS software out of the box.

Pros: The most noteworthy features of Microsoft SQL Server are the many tools and wizards that allow even novice users to get started by creating tables and views without extensive knowledge of relational databases. The query wizard can even assist with creating queries with its intuitive IDE. These features lower the intimidating barrier to entry that accompanies other relational database software such as Oracle or MySQL. There is even a free version call Express that allows anyone to dabble in the software before committing to the product. Aside from the user assisted features, the other appealing aspect of SQL Server is the integration with other Microsoft products that are probably already running in an organization. SQL Server interfaces with Active Directory allowing for easy user management so appropriate levels of database access can be allotted via group membership. This is useful because even something simple like user access management in another RDBMS may present a learning curve for anyone that is not a DBA. With SQL Server a general IT resource could manage user access with an existing knowledge of Active Directory providing more time to focus on core database design.

Cons: SQL Server carries a high cost subscription based licensing cost. The user assistance features provide a great introduction to relational databases, but there is still a significant and continuous learning curve. Databases continue to evolve with industry need. Anyone that interacts significantly with SQL Server during day to day database or application design may need to consider yearly training to keep up with all the changes.

My experience with sql Server has been satisfactory, I have done punctual work.

Reviewed on 07/07/2018
Aníbal M.
Programador
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have worked several times with this software for different reasons I have been able to simplify developments thanks to the Transact-SQL so it has saved me programming time, the services that I have under my responsibility at work are stable, this gives confidence and tranquility for me and for my bosses, I made restorations in record time.

Pros: This software has as its first advantage that it is a Microsoft product and has the full support of the company and the stability of a well-tested product. At the basic level, I find it very efficient, the sql responses are fast and there are almost no service interruptions, which is a point in its favor when I use it, I find the Transact-SQL language that is used very powerful, I was able to assign commercial processes of the application in the database that allows multiple applications to use them and it is not necessary to program these functions in each application, the SQL server administration tools are very well thought to be all in a Microsoft environment, the integration is perfect, they are very intuitive to find new functions, they do not require prior knowledge, what is important to train new staff, another thing that I like about this software is the scalability that can start with a small database and grow, in A past project had transactional tables that inserted millions of records daily. I like security, it is possible to assign specific permissions to different users who perform different activities within the same database, this makes me trust the product.

Cons: The least I like is undoubtedly the cost SQL-Server does not have a good cost-benefit ratio, other brands offer better benefits in this regard, another point is the high consumption of RAM, it is necessary to allocate a large amount of resources for this And to guarantee the quality of the service, until now I have not found a hosting provider that offers me a PHP server with Sql-server. This stopped once a new development for a client was disappointing to me. It is difficult to learn in a particular way, the free versions of this software are very limited and the certifications are expensive, which reduces the interest when it is investigated.

Ridiculously powerful and full of features we do not make use of. We love it, and cannot do without.

Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Jerry A.
System Administrator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This software practically runs our facility. Without it, we couldn't keep track of our animals or our people (staff, members, donors). To us, this software is well worth the costs involved.

Pros: SQL Server is just so incredibly powerful, most users probably do not know how much it can do, or how much it can handle. In our type of organization, we deal with people and animals. We rely on donors and members for funding, we track everything about our animals from health issues, to medications, to physical exercise. Every one of our systems relies on, as the backbone, SQL Server. This software is powerful, versatile, and reliable. With pretty much every department of ours needing some type of database, standardizing to SQL Server was just the best move. It can handle it all. It can track it all. And it can report on it all for us. To date, we use it for: our Accounting software, our donor tracking, our membership tracking, our animal tracking (includes tracking from what zoo or aquarium animals came, their medical history, their exercise history, their diet, their location in our facility, their trainers, their behavioral issues/environmental factors), our vet's digital imaging systems, our guest services scheduling, our security systems (surveillance, door locks), our water quality and hvac sysytems logging and controls, our point of sale system (for admissions and food court and ecommerce), and our facility management software (maintenance and IT requests). This system does indeed handle everything we need it to.

Cons: You need a lot of training to make the most of it. Or it could cost you a lot if you have to pay a developer to help you get the most out of your systems. Luckily a couple of us are really into databases, and we both have a lot of experience with SQL, we can do most things in-house. But still the amount of training we go through to keep current, or to keep learning is probably the biggest "problem" with this software. Most software packages, you can buy, setup, receive a few hours or a few days of training, and you'll be good to go. With SQL, if you intend to use it, to get the most of out it, you will need more extensive training, or to hire people to put in the work. It's not cheap. But it can help you accomplish so much if you put in the time.

If you are working from scratch,it is relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivi

Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Alfredo R.
ventas
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: If you are working from scratch, it is relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivity between clients. Everything is quite simple, given that you have knowledge of the database. The DBMS allows you to easily create several things completely in design (tables, views, etc.), which is a great advantage when you do not know all the syntax. The integration of other monitoring software such as fog light is very easy without the consumption of time. Great ability to handle all complex query requirements. Suite of advanced functions of sql. Provide all the excellent functionalities, such as Reporting Services, Integration Services, Job Scheduler, Resource Manager, Query Analyzer and Profiler, etc. Each of these modules is perfectly constructed and manages the tasks effectively. Configurable in each level. The user permission is on all objects and other higher levels. Changes can be made for specific privileges at the user level. Window service based on Control to the server to start and stop the service.
I think one of the best things about Microsoft SQL (currently using 2012) is the Developer Network and the useful resources that are available. Thanks to the network of developers, I have been able to learn much more about queries and create more useful and advanced queries over time. Things like Transact-SQL (T-SQL) are useful many times due to the large number of new queries that can be generated after learning T-SQL.Compatibility with most SQL Server administ

Cons: Sometimes, performance when executing some long queries is not what you would expect. Although the power of the CPU is important for this part, but in the company we have state-of-the-art servers in the NAP of the Americas, so it seems a software problem instead of a hardware problem.
Some of the configurations of previous versions (2008 - 2012) are quite clumsy and not very well done - I have had several instances of my corrupt installer and have to re-download. The administrator of the database, sometimes, takes time to load.
Scalability is excellent, but not the best, like other new databases in the market. The memory consumption of the CPU is always more than normal in the production specifically by the sql server. Scope of the improvement in the profile generator for the most used options.
Sometimes, if it is not handled properly with a predefined scheme, the relations and the maintenance of the data become a problem. This happens mainly only when it comes to new users or with people who do not work as part of a larger workforce that manages the system.
Certain add-ons also provide useful features, but if SQL added them, it would save users the problem of finding and installing them. The database is the target of many attacks from your SA account, this should be disabled by default and just after installation, about 30 seconds, the attacks begin, with many requests per second, need to improve the firewall to prevent these attacks, or place the SQL Server inside a VPN

Very reliable, relatively easy-to-use, and reasonably-priced compared to Oracle

Reviewed on 05/10/2017
Systems Administrator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our entire product line (IIS-based web applications) relies on SQL Server. Without it, our business wouldn't function at all.

Pros: As a Systems Administrator, MS SQL Server is one of the easiest DBMS you can use from a management perspective. SQL Server Management Studio is a very robust client, and it allows you to configure everything from either the GUI or SQL scripts. No digging into config files, calling apps from command line, etc. User management in SQL server is easy and straight-forward while being EXTREMELY granular. Plus, it easily connects to Active Directory if you so desire. The software is very reliable. MySQL can have issues during backups, but not SQL Server. Once you get it set up and configured properly (again, not hard to do), you can leave it running for months without encountering problems. While SQL Server is by no means cheap, compared to the other enterprise-level DBMS like Oracle, it's quite reasonable. MySQL is free, but it's quite limited when you do a feature-by-feature comparison with SQL Server. If you're on the fence, install an Express instance (up to 10GB databases with some limitations). You won't be disappointed.

Cons: Like a lot of other Microsoft software, the installer is pretty bloated with prerequisites, components, etc. But that's a fairly small nitpick. I will also say that RAM management in SQL Server isn't perfect. SQL will, as long as it is regularly used, consume all of the RAM you have allocated it. By default, that setting is 2 petabytes of RAM, so it will slow your system to an absolute crawl, consuming everything it can to the detriment of the OS itself. This means you need to manually allocated a reasonable amount of RAM to SQL knowing full-well that it will likely consume this RAM at all times. That's fine for dedicated database servers, but it's not ideal for people running SQL on laptops. Aside from that, I have very few complaints about SQL Server.

SQL Server - One of the most powerful databases

Reviewed on 09/11/2019
Rob B.
Database Developer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been working with SQL Server for 3 years at work and at home for my home projects. I enjoy working with it. It is easy to install, easy to maintain for normal purposes and there are a lot of cool features even in the free versions - for example Express and Developer. I think that it is a very powerful engine - the latest charts also show this by putting SQL Server in one of the first places for the best Databases. I pretty enjoy working with it and pretty recommend it. For years, the companies where I have been working relied on SQL Server and my observation is that it proves its expectations very good.

Pros: 1. It has different types of subscriptions - you can either test it with free versions, either use it to develop different projects or when you get in love with it - you can buy it with its powerful features.
2. It is a very good working engine.
3. SQL Server has stability, and the performance mechanisms are very cool.
4. You can maintain multiple instances and databases on one server.
5. There are a lot of built-in functions that developers can use, instead of writing their own.
6. Since the latest years, I think there are more and more new things to explore in newer versions - that is a point which shows that Microsoft invests a lot in their product.
7. It is reliable.

Cons: Since these years I didn't notice something which I do not like. On the contrary, I pretty like the product and all its features that I have been using through these years, and hope that in the future releases of SQL Server there won't be disappointing things, but only cool ones.

Good for medium and big companies

Reviewed on 21/08/2019
Gonzalo P.
Technician
Industrial Automation, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am using SQL Server for 4 years in a Low, Medium and Big environment, but in low environment i have a bad experience using SQL SERVER, Mysql is better in a small busines for cost, and simplicity, but in Big environment SQL SERVER can compete with ORACLE DB.

Pros: Is powerfull
Easy
Complete
interoperatibity

Cons: Have some errors
You need to reset de SQL 1 time at week
Consumes a lot of ram
it needs a Windows Server

Solid relational database ecosystem with useful accessories

Reviewed on 01/08/2018
Scott s. M.
Sr. Data Analyst
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The ability to solve data problems and syndicate actionable information to the right audiences in a timely manner.

Pros: I have been using Microsoft SQL Server for about 20 years and have watched the product evolve into a very mature and vibrant offering. SQL Server gives me the flexibility and performance needed for many different relational database solutions ranging from application OLTP databases to enterprise level business intelligence implementations. With my main focus being business intelligence, I have been very impressed with the SQL Server 2016 releases and improvements. It seems the Microsoft is very dedicated to this BI ecosystem and they seem committed to continuity in the products. Some of my favorite things to note are the new SSRS portal interface in 2016, the ColumnStore indexing in Enterprise versions, SSAS tabular models, and the ease of use with Power BI. Overall, I feel extremely confident in this product in terms of its use to solve almost any problem related to data. I find most things very easy to use and due to the wide use of this product, figuring out the more complex issues is not difficult thanks to Google.

Cons: I sometimes don't appreciate the complexities related to transnational logging and the time it takes to roll back large transactions. Purely a performance and optimization issue, but the ambiguities in terms of when a task like this will complete can be frustrating.

Two words - "Best RDBMS"!

Reviewed on 05/09/2018
Anuj S.
Business Intelligence Analyst
Internet, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Highly recommended - The Best RDBMS Package I have worked so far.
Best IDE - let the wizard do basic things with you few clicks so you can focus on actual DB tasks and writing query.
Developers in your team are going to love this Database!

Pros: • Microsoft SQL Server is the best RDBMS package I have ever worked on! (Other DBs I have used are - Oracle, Teradata, MySQL, and Redshift)
• Just like other Microsoft products; SQL Server is by far the most User-friendly Database Server - best IDE
• Lots of wizard features from import, export, backup, query builder etc that anyone can easily learn and do just with few clicks!
• Intellisense (like visual studio) to complete code while typing and showing common mistakes before you even execute
• Built-in execution plan viewer which is nice enough to start with.
• Free Plugins and third-party tools available to make your life even easier like: Poorman SQL Formatter, SentryOne Plan Explorer etc
• Integrates very well with other MS products. Full MS BI stack includes SSIS ETL, SSRS BI Tool, SSAS etc.

Cons: • No considerable cons. Maybe Microsoft should consider offering built-in features/tools for which developers use third-party tools and plugins. Like builtin execution plan viewer is not as great as SentryOne Plan Explorer.
• With so many built-in features one little must have to include is One click code indentation. Until Microsoft can add this feature, we can live with Poorman SQL formatter.

My Database Engine

Reviewed on 18/06/2019
Umar W.
Software Engineer(Software Engineer)
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It has been awsome as i am now a good Database developer because of this awsome tool.

Pros: I am not DBA but i am using it from more than 3 years from university days and still using SQL in my professional life.
I like everything about from query writing, to testing using SQL profiler.
Most about it is that you can do most thing by using queries and GUI as well.
Its easy to connect and configure with any kind of application with single line of code.
Most thing about it is its prediction while typing and highlighting errors with underline squiggly.

Cons: As a developer i cant find anything that i dont like in it. Its always more than my expectations.

SQL Server Great for SQL Database Creation

Reviewed on 19/08/2019
Robert D.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, my experience with SQL Server has been pleasant. If I had employees, I would strongly recommend them to use is as their main source to create SQL databases. It makes sense to use a platform that is specialized and can be a one stop shop. That is what SQL Server is.

Pros: I love the ability to create SQL databases separate from Visual Studio. Although you can create databases in VS, I like how SQL Server Management Studio is designed specifically for database creation. Plus, it has advanced features for database admins which Visual Studio does not. After creating a database, the admin can migrate the SQL Server database in Visual Studio.

Cons: It is difficult to learn if someone at a beginning level is using it. They will need to utilize the many tutorials provided within EDX.org, youtube or Udemy (to name a few) to learn it. It makes sense if you know how to create SQL databases and the SQL language prior to using it. If not, I suggest to learn SQL first prior to jumping into SQL Server to do database management.

I have been working with this software from last 8 years. I like this software and used its features

Reviewed on 25/05/2018
Anjali G.
Senior software developer
Customer Support

Pros: This software offers a lot of features that are very handy to work with. And frankly it took very less time to understand this software and get used to it. I have used this software for creating stored procedures, functions, views, database schema.
Easy to connect with external database as well. I have heavily used the SQL profiler which again is a very useful feature. SQL profiler let you see the request that SQL receive from a source and it help you debug your code. Generating backup, restoring backup, importing and exporting data tiers all features are so easy to understand. Even I never googled to know how to do it, I just saw the option and start following the instructions and it's done. Its easy to use and all its features are very useful. Even when you didn't saved your file and accidentally your laptop got off,it help recover your files. Easy interface to create database tables even if you do not remember the script syntax.

Cons: There is nothing that I don't like kind of this with this useful software.
Its just if the edit rows option could have been made easy by auto showing the SQL pane to write query while editing the rows. I found it one step extra. It should be like when we select rows. Also running the query on edit rows if could be done via f5 only, then it would be easier for the user.

Great database for small To medium business

Reviewed on 26/09/2019
Felix S.
SR business analyst
Financial Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I used sql server in the past until cloud based database system like Hadoop and Google cloud are available. this tools is complex and extensive. There are a lot of features and functionalities to create stable and high rated database system like cursor, functions, stored procedures, etc. However, when the data requirements grows exponentially, the system unable to handle the load which takes significant amount of time to query. This is where company looks for better solution to handle big data load using cloud based database. SQL server going to be recognized as the pioneer of database system that set the standard of SQL language for similar products. Perhaps overtime they also evolve with better solutions to handle big data load; something that I have no knowledge about.

Pros: Relationship database is structured database management that create with data integrity and reliability in mind.

Cons: Slow performance with big data load requirements.
Also physically need to build primary keys for each tables instance.

A great database system for any purpose

Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Giorgi K.
Junior Commercial Analyst
Banking, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use SQL Server for a data warehouse project in a large bank. It stores thousands of tables and terabytes of data, so it's mandatory for DBMS to run smoothly. SQL server does its job extremely well.

Pros: SQL server is packed with features. It was a very fun job to implement it and using it is even better. Runs well, built-in tools are useful and plenty.

Cons: It takes up quite a bit of resources. Sometimes, tech support isn't very helpful. Otherwise, it's good.

Very complete Database manager

Reviewed on 09/09/2019
SOFTWARE DEV
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Even when some people argue that is not the most fastest database for me is the most useful and with more tools than most, almost all databases has store procedure, functions, etc. but one thing that SQL Server has that most don't is the ability to create your own type of data, I mostly prefer to use Table type so I can insert a lot data in one single transition without using a loop condition to validate
The source manager allos to see the type the query and from what machine is been executed

Cons: you need to use the installer every time you need to create a new instance, if the server is down and you restar the services, you need to open the sql magnament to restart the jobs as well

Relational Database Management System

Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Database Administrator
Automotive, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall had a great experience as the name suggests that "Microsoft SQL Server" the first word of the product defines it all and have a huge impact on its sale and purchase.

Pros: As a Microsoft SQL Server administrator , i like the community and the support that Microsoft community provides as it has a very powerful knowledge base if i stuck in some problem i just google it and the problem has been resolved in minutes.

Cons: Microsoft should increase the performance of few of its products as it is very slow as compared to Oracle and DB2 . And should consider on Monitoring of the databases as database administrator primary objective is to monitor the instances continuously.

The absolute core of our business

Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Jamie A.
IT Support Technician
Furniture, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our overall experience with SQL Server has been formidable. This is the reason that it has been at the center of our business since we outgrew an Access central database over 20 years ago.

Pros: Installation and upgrading of the software is excellent. The additions of Query Store and other Analytics have drastically changed our ability to monitor the performance of all metrics of our Databases.

Cons: Turn around time from issuing the Purchase Order until the license is released into our Microsoft account was rather slow, when we needed the software, we had to find an alternative solution until our license was released to us.

Perfect combination of power and intuitiveness

Reviewed on 01/10/2019
Software Developer
Construction, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have worked with SQL Server for 20 years now. It is used on the backend of many powerful products and also used for small web sites as well. It's very easy to connect to and to link to non-Microsoft database systems. TSQL is very powerful as it has all standard SQL functions as well as its own.

Pros: The express edition, which is free, is more than powerful enough to serve as a back-end for most small/medium sized web sites which is great for small businesses to start and grow.

Cons: Installation of all the features can be a pain. Making sure you have the engine, agent, management studio can be confusing and often come in separate download packages.