Best DBMS tool for scalable enterprises

Reviewed on 16/05/2019
Surender B.
Technical Lead
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience is 100% satisfactory because of its robust feature. I recommend this to all either its a large or small scale compan y because SQL server can handle large quantities of data and process it smoothly. Just loving it.

Pros: Microsoft SQL server is one of the best database management system that provide top rated performance optimisation with SQL queries, below is the list of top highlights: 1. Richness of user interface that provides ease of use with cool features like dock able windows. 2. Intelligence window is prominent feature that saves a lot of development time up to large extent. 3. Code debugging and performance tuning with query flow maps is the best features that assures about code optimisation. 4. Microsoft SQL Server Agent is provided with this software and that runs the automatic jobs in very secure way and later we can track the statements executed. 5. We can filter out the records in SQL Server Agent interface based on our interest. 6. Code snippet manager makes it easy to write high standard code that is perfact for code convention. 7. Most prominent feature is that it can handle large quantities of data, runs automatic jobs with concurrent transactions. 8. At last it's a Microsoft product that provides a belief to users.

Cons: I have been using SQL server from version 2012 to 2014 and never troubled with SQL server's performance in any way. However I feel that error details must long descriptive when statement have some syntax error. Sometime its pathetic when we wants to know the exact error line but is hints the whole block of code instead of exact line number. Otherwise Its a great product and happy with it.

Perfect for all types of workloads!

Reviewed on 04/04/2019
Technical Architect
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Have used SQL Server as a a Relational Database (RDBMS) for the past 15 years, primarily to support SAP based enterprise workloads. Microsoft's development of SQL Server has been fuelled by its largest customer - SAP, in order to provide better functionality to rival its competition (Oracle, DB2, Informix (who remembers this one?). I started with MSSQL 2000 and boy has it come a long way. MSSQL versions are denoted via the year and is still a practice till today, similar to how Microsoft denotes its Windows versions. To date, the latest version of MSSQL 2017 is also supported on SAP, and I am sure once MSSQL 2019 is released later this year it would also be certified by SAP.

Pros: The review is based on my experience of using SQL Server as a database with SAP. What I like about MSSQL :
- ACID compliant like any enterprise based RDBMS (Oracle, IBM DB2, SAP HANA)
- Runs well and scales well with commodity x86 hardware
- Various editions to suit customer needs and requirements. For example Express Edition for small workloads and is free, or all the way to Enterprise Edition for state-of-the-art functionality (High-Availability, Disaster Recovery etc. to prevent Single-Points-of-Failure). Its current functionality definitely rivals the existing enterprise RDBMS's
- Straightforward learning curve as it is Windows based. Unlike other RDBMS's (e.g. Oracle or DB2), administering a MSSQL DB is very easy GUI (SQL Server Management Studio) is very easy to use especially if coming from Oracle/DB2, or if you're learning from scratch
- Supports Linux (finally!) - MSSQL is no longer limited to the Windows platform, and Microsoft has released version on Linux to compete with the likes of Oracle, DB2, etc.

Cons: Over my years of using MSSQL have encountered numerous bugs (performance issues, corrupted data, etc.) but these are normal with other RDBMS's (Oracle, DB2, SAP HANA, etc.) given the enterprise nature of the workloads. Can't really think of any other disadvantages.

SQL Server is the backbone of my life!

Reviewed on 04/02/2019
Griffin B.
Senior Strategic Planning Analyst
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, my experience with SQL Server is amazing! I am able to store all of our Las Vegas luxury casino data (gaming, hotel, food & beverage, entertainment, etc.) and query that for information that we then turn into automated or ad-hoc reports. These then go to the operators of the business as well as the executives who analyze the reports and make better decisions daily, weekly, and monthly. The goal is simple: just become better over time...better than you were last year, last month, last week. And SQL Server is the vehicle to empower your organization to find those valuable insights hiding in plain sight to do just that!

Pros: I absolutely LOVE SQL Server. It is my favorite software to use because the possibilities for query-writing are endless. I would say this is the most reliable and flexible of all the database software I have ever used. SQL Server allows you to write in T-SQL (T = transact, SQL = structured query language), which means that you can create variables, use temp tables, and write code in a procedural format that runs akin to a module in other programming languages. We use SQL Server 2008 at work, though I am really loving the new features in the latest version (as of today) SQL Server 2016. Overall, SQL Server is a platform for creating table schema, storing information, and then writing scripts (queries) to manipulate that data--to find insights that are useful to making better business decisions. The interface is easy to understand, the error-checking is strong (and actually tells you what is wrong). It doesn't hold your hand like other simplified coding languages, but it becomes very reliable and easy to use once you obtain a solid foundation in relational database theory and SQL language.

Cons: Hmm...if I had to speak ill of SQL Server...I would probably say that it is a bit tricky to get up to speed quickly with. There's a lot to it, so to speak, so it's taken me the better part of five years working in the data analytics industry to finally say that I feel I am completely proficient in utilizing the software to its full potential. Topics such as query optimization remain my areas of biggest weakness. I can write a query to pull any kind of desired information; however, the art lies in being able to pull it quickly and with reasonable efficiency. If your query takes more than 15 minutes (or even hours!) to run, it's probably not written correctly and likely poses a major threat to the server you are connecting to (and tying up!) in the process. I would like more information in the software (GUIs, warnings, etc.) regarding poorly-written queries from an execution standpoint.

SQL Server 2016 - Features Review

Reviewed on 20/12/2018
Senior Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall experience with SQL server 2016 is very nice and excited in my perceptions due to Better support for memory optimzed tables, Built in JSON support, Stretch DB concepts, Query Store and dynamic temp db according to size and presence of CPU in the databases.

Pros: In our project we have been migrated from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to SQL server 2016 directly for all our databases & SSIS packages. There are many features that was available to use for the projects and some of those are: 1. Data was always encrypted, so less vulnerable to SQL injections and useful to take a backup when database is in motion. Prior version (Before SQL server 2016) support only when databases is in Rest.
2. Data/Software Migration is very useful from prior version without any issues or taking any time. It took only set of testing activities and 2 hours of trun around time to get it upgraded.
3. Very simillar like XML TSQL clause created in SQL 2005, in SQL 2016 JSON clause T-SQL has been created for JSON output from querying database objects.
4. In prior versions we have to wait for long running query to capture, however in SQL server 2016 ability to view the execution plan as the query is active on the system.
5. Strecth Database is a new concept that has been created and stored in Azure. However in the background it is shown as single databases for user views.

Cons: Only I know very least number of disadvantages this MS SQL server 2016 is having: 1. Enterprise pricing may be costly as some of the organisation cant afford for the count of data they are having.
2 With the performance tuning, Microsoft SQL Server will be having some gobble resources.

Easy to configure, difficult to master

Reviewed on 17/10/2018
Systems Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easily the most intuitive RDBMS software out of the box.

Pros: The most noteworthy features of Microsoft SQL Server are the many tools and wizards that allow even novice users to get started by creating tables and views without extensive knowledge of relational databases. The query wizard can even assist with creating queries with its intuitive IDE. These features lower the intimidating barrier to entry that accompanies other relational database software such as Oracle or MySQL. There is even a free version call Express that allows anyone to dabble in the software before committing to the product. Aside from the user assisted features, the other appealing aspect of SQL Server is the integration with other Microsoft products that are probably already running in an organization. SQL Server interfaces with Active Directory allowing for easy user management so appropriate levels of database access can be allotted via group membership. This is useful because even something simple like user access management in another RDBMS may present a learning curve for anyone that is not a DBA. With SQL Server a general IT resource could manage user access with an existing knowledge of Active Directory providing more time to focus on core database design.

Cons: SQL Server carries a high cost subscription based licensing cost. The user assistance features provide a great introduction to relational databases, but there is still a significant and continuous learning curve. Databases continue to evolve with industry need. Anyone that interacts significantly with SQL Server during day to day database or application design may need to consider yearly training to keep up with all the changes.

My experience with sql Server has been satisfactory, I have done punctual work.

Reviewed on 07/07/2018
Aníbal M.
Programador
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have worked several times with this software for different reasons I have been able to simplify developments thanks to the Transact-SQL so it has saved me programming time, the services that I have under my responsibility at work are stable, this gives confidence and tranquility for me and for my bosses, I made restorations in record time.

Pros: This software has as its first advantage that it is a Microsoft product and has the full support of the company and the stability of a well-tested product. At the basic level, I find it very efficient, the sql responses are fast and there are almost no service interruptions, which is a point in its favor when I use it, I find the Transact-SQL language that is used very powerful, I was able to assign commercial processes of the application in the database that allows multiple applications to use them and it is not necessary to program these functions in each application, the SQL server administration tools are very well thought to be all in a Microsoft environment, the integration is perfect, they are very intuitive to find new functions, they do not require prior knowledge, what is important to train new staff, another thing that I like about this software is the scalability that can start with a small database and grow, in A past project had transactional tables that inserted millions of records daily. I like security, it is possible to assign specific permissions to different users who perform different activities within the same database, this makes me trust the product.

Cons: The least I like is undoubtedly the cost SQL-Server does not have a good cost-benefit ratio, other brands offer better benefits in this regard, another point is the high consumption of RAM, it is necessary to allocate a large amount of resources for this And to guarantee the quality of the service, until now I have not found a hosting provider that offers me a PHP server with Sql-server. This stopped once a new development for a client was disappointing to me. It is difficult to learn in a particular way, the free versions of this software are very limited and the certifications are expensive, which reduces the interest when it is investigated.

Ridiculously powerful and full of features we do not make use of. We love it, and cannot do without.

Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Jerry A.
System Administrator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This software practically runs our facility. Without it, we couldn't keep track of our animals or our people (staff, members, donors). To us, this software is well worth the costs involved.

Pros: SQL Server is just so incredibly powerful, most users probably do not know how much it can do, or how much it can handle. In our type of organization, we deal with people and animals. We rely on donors and members for funding, we track everything about our animals from health issues, to medications, to physical exercise. Every one of our systems relies on, as the backbone, SQL Server. This software is powerful, versatile, and reliable. With pretty much every department of ours needing some type of database, standardizing to SQL Server was just the best move. It can handle it all. It can track it all. And it can report on it all for us. To date, we use it for: our Accounting software, our donor tracking, our membership tracking, our animal tracking (includes tracking from what zoo or aquarium animals came, their medical history, their exercise history, their diet, their location in our facility, their trainers, their behavioral issues/environmental factors), our vet's digital imaging systems, our guest services scheduling, our security systems (surveillance, door locks), our water quality and hvac sysytems logging and controls, our point of sale system (for admissions and food court and ecommerce), and our facility management software (maintenance and IT requests). This system does indeed handle everything we need it to.

Cons: You need a lot of training to make the most of it. Or it could cost you a lot if you have to pay a developer to help you get the most out of your systems. Luckily a couple of us are really into databases, and we both have a lot of experience with SQL, we can do most things in-house. But still the amount of training we go through to keep current, or to keep learning is probably the biggest "problem" with this software. Most software packages, you can buy, setup, receive a few hours or a few days of training, and you'll be good to go. With SQL, if you intend to use it, to get the most of out it, you will need more extensive training, or to hire people to put in the work. It's not cheap. But it can help you accomplish so much if you put in the time.

If you are working from scratch,it is relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivi

Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Alfredo R.
ventas
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: If you are working from scratch, it is relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivity between clients. Everything is quite simple, given that you have knowledge of the database. The DBMS allows you to easily create several things completely in design (tables, views, etc.), which is a great advantage when you do not know all the syntax. The integration of other monitoring software such as fog light is very easy without the consumption of time. Great ability to handle all complex query requirements. Suite of advanced functions of sql. Provide all the excellent functionalities, such as Reporting Services, Integration Services, Job Scheduler, Resource Manager, Query Analyzer and Profiler, etc. Each of these modules is perfectly constructed and manages the tasks effectively. Configurable in each level. The user permission is on all objects and other higher levels. Changes can be made for specific privileges at the user level. Window service based on Control to the server to start and stop the service.
I think one of the best things about Microsoft SQL (currently using 2012) is the Developer Network and the useful resources that are available. Thanks to the network of developers, I have been able to learn much more about queries and create more useful and advanced queries over time. Things like Transact-SQL (T-SQL) are useful many times due to the large number of new queries that can be generated after learning T-SQL.Compatibility with most SQL Server administ

Cons: Sometimes, performance when executing some long queries is not what you would expect. Although the power of the CPU is important for this part, but in the company we have state-of-the-art servers in the NAP of the Americas, so it seems a software problem instead of a hardware problem.
Some of the configurations of previous versions (2008 - 2012) are quite clumsy and not very well done - I have had several instances of my corrupt installer and have to re-download. The administrator of the database, sometimes, takes time to load.
Scalability is excellent, but not the best, like other new databases in the market. The memory consumption of the CPU is always more than normal in the production specifically by the sql server. Scope of the improvement in the profile generator for the most used options.
Sometimes, if it is not handled properly with a predefined scheme, the relations and the maintenance of the data become a problem. This happens mainly only when it comes to new users or with people who do not work as part of a larger workforce that manages the system.
Certain add-ons also provide useful features, but if SQL added them, it would save users the problem of finding and installing them. The database is the target of many attacks from your SA account, this should be disabled by default and just after installation, about 30 seconds, the attacks begin, with many requests per second, need to improve the firewall to prevent these attacks, or place the SQL Server inside a VPN

Very reliable, relatively easy-to-use, and reasonably-priced compared to Oracle

Reviewed on 05/10/2017
Systems Administrator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our entire product line (IIS-based web applications) relies on SQL Server. Without it, our business wouldn't function at all.

Pros: As a Systems Administrator, MS SQL Server is one of the easiest DBMS you can use from a management perspective. SQL Server Management Studio is a very robust client, and it allows you to configure everything from either the GUI or SQL scripts. No digging into config files, calling apps from command line, etc. User management in SQL server is easy and straight-forward while being EXTREMELY granular. Plus, it easily connects to Active Directory if you so desire. The software is very reliable. MySQL can have issues during backups, but not SQL Server. Once you get it set up and configured properly (again, not hard to do), you can leave it running for months without encountering problems. While SQL Server is by no means cheap, compared to the other enterprise-level DBMS like Oracle, it's quite reasonable. MySQL is free, but it's quite limited when you do a feature-by-feature comparison with SQL Server. If you're on the fence, install an Express instance (up to 10GB databases with some limitations). You won't be disappointed.

Cons: Like a lot of other Microsoft software, the installer is pretty bloated with prerequisites, components, etc. But that's a fairly small nitpick. I will also say that RAM management in SQL Server isn't perfect. SQL will, as long as it is regularly used, consume all of the RAM you have allocated it. By default, that setting is 2 petabytes of RAM, so it will slow your system to an absolute crawl, consuming everything it can to the detriment of the OS itself. This means you need to manually allocated a reasonable amount of RAM to SQL knowing full-well that it will likely consume this RAM at all times. That's fine for dedicated database servers, but it's not ideal for people running SQL on laptops. Aside from that, I have very few complaints about SQL Server.

Microsoft SQL Server, Database Management in a single interface.

Reviewed on 01/07/2019
Carlos M.
Human Resources Generalist
Consumer Electronics, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: t is a business tool that allows the handling of huge amounts of data, it is used in local small and large transnational companies that connect and collect data in different parts of the world. I can add that once you get used to it to the SQL server user interface, the management and programming of it is quite
comfortable and practical, but if necessary a fairly high knowledge of programming and data management, otherwise the clutter in the database would be almost impossible to fix.

Pros: Microsoft SQL server is a very administrative database management system known that SQL uses as programming language, additionally we can add command lines from other programming languages ​​such as C # or java, to add functionality to your database, extremely easy to connect with other applications from which we can obtain the data we want, this manager does not facilitates maintenance where we can create and edit relational data, is capable of adapt to any operating system such as Windows, Linux and servers, in addition allows interconnection with an infinity of database managers such as MySQL, ORACLE and POSTGRE.

Cons: Microsoft SQL server is a very complete program but at the same time it is very complex to use, you need a prior or advanced knowledge about programming, especially in SQL, adding that the installation is quite tedious and long On the other hand SQL Server is not the only program that needs to be installed, for To be able to get the most out of the tool, the entire family of SQL server that includes tools for server interconnection, programming servers and other databases, despite having the ability to implement other programming languages, it is necessary to install third-party plug-ins. Is not a easy to use program for a single user, tends to be used in large companies, additionally it is a paid program if you require the assistance of Microsoft for the problem solving.

Solid relational database ecosystem with useful accessories

Reviewed on 01/08/2018
Scott s. M.
Sr. Data Analyst
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The ability to solve data problems and syndicate actionable information to the right audiences in a timely manner.

Pros: I have been using Microsoft SQL Server for about 20 years and have watched the product evolve into a very mature and vibrant offering. SQL Server gives me the flexibility and performance needed for many different relational database solutions ranging from application OLTP databases to enterprise level business intelligence implementations. With my main focus being business intelligence, I have been very impressed with the SQL Server 2016 releases and improvements. It seems the Microsoft is very dedicated to this BI ecosystem and they seem committed to continuity in the products. Some of my favorite things to note are the new SSRS portal interface in 2016, the ColumnStore indexing in Enterprise versions, SSAS tabular models, and the ease of use with Power BI. Overall, I feel extremely confident in this product in terms of its use to solve almost any problem related to data. I find most things very easy to use and due to the wide use of this product, figuring out the more complex issues is not difficult thanks to Google.

Cons: I sometimes don't appreciate the complexities related to transnational logging and the time it takes to roll back large transactions. Purely a performance and optimization issue, but the ambiguities in terms of when a task like this will complete can be frustrating.

Two words - "Best RDBMS"!

Reviewed on 05/09/2018
Anuj S.
Business Intelligence Analyst
Internet, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Highly recommended - The Best RDBMS Package I have worked so far.
Best IDE - let the wizard do basic things with you few clicks so you can focus on actual DB tasks and writing query.
Developers in your team are going to love this Database!

Pros: • Microsoft SQL Server is the best RDBMS package I have ever worked on! (Other DBs I have used are - Oracle, Teradata, MySQL, and Redshift)
• Just like other Microsoft products; SQL Server is by far the most User-friendly Database Server - best IDE
• Lots of wizard features from import, export, backup, query builder etc that anyone can easily learn and do just with few clicks!
• Intellisense (like visual studio) to complete code while typing and showing common mistakes before you even execute
• Built-in execution plan viewer which is nice enough to start with.
• Free Plugins and third-party tools available to make your life even easier like: Poorman SQL Formatter, SentryOne Plan Explorer etc
• Integrates very well with other MS products. Full MS BI stack includes SSIS ETL, SSRS BI Tool, SSAS etc.

Cons: • No considerable cons. Maybe Microsoft should consider offering built-in features/tools for which developers use third-party tools and plugins. Like builtin execution plan viewer is not as great as SentryOne Plan Explorer.
• With so many built-in features one little must have to include is One click code indentation. Until Microsoft can add this feature, we can live with Poorman SQL formatter.

My Database Engine

Reviewed on 18/06/2019
Umar W.
Software Engineer(Software Engineer)
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It has been awsome as i am now a good Database developer because of this awsome tool.

Pros: I am not DBA but i am using it from more than 3 years from university days and still using SQL in my professional life.
I like everything about from query writing, to testing using SQL profiler.
Most about it is that you can do most thing by using queries and GUI as well.
Its easy to connect and configure with any kind of application with single line of code.
Most thing about it is its prediction while typing and highlighting errors with underline squiggly.

Cons: As a developer i cant find anything that i dont like in it. Its always more than my expectations.

I have been working with this software from last 8 years. I like this software and used its features

Reviewed on 25/05/2018
Anjali G.
Senior software developer
Customer Support

Pros: This software offers a lot of features that are very handy to work with. And frankly it took very less time to understand this software and get used to it. I have used this software for creating stored procedures, functions, views, database schema.
Easy to connect with external database as well. I have heavily used the SQL profiler which again is a very useful feature. SQL profiler let you see the request that SQL receive from a source and it help you debug your code. Generating backup, restoring backup, importing and exporting data tiers all features are so easy to understand. Even I never googled to know how to do it, I just saw the option and start following the instructions and it's done. Its easy to use and all its features are very useful. Even when you didn't saved your file and accidentally your laptop got off,it help recover your files. Easy interface to create database tables even if you do not remember the script syntax.

Cons: There is nothing that I don't like kind of this with this useful software.
Its just if the edit rows option could have been made easy by auto showing the SQL pane to write query while editing the rows. I found it one step extra. It should be like when we select rows. Also running the query on edit rows if could be done via f5 only, then it would be easier for the user.

A great database system for any purpose

Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Giorgi K.
Junior Commercial Analyst
Banking, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use SQL Server for a data warehouse project in a large bank. It stores thousands of tables and terabytes of data, so it's mandatory for DBMS to run smoothly. SQL server does its job extremely well.

Pros: SQL server is packed with features. It was a very fun job to implement it and using it is even better. Runs well, built-in tools are useful and plenty.

Cons: It takes up quite a bit of resources. Sometimes, tech support isn't very helpful. Otherwise, it's good.

Easy to use. Lots of possibilities

Reviewed on 11/07/2019
Data Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use this for reporting and keeping a health of the business

Pros: It is easy to use. it uses standard structure T SQl language. Reporting options are not limited at all. It is very good and quick with queries. With 2017 there is a lot of changes and improvements on the fly queries as well as self monitoring of Data sources and server health. It works well with all microsoft products and easily can send things to SSIS or Microsoft office excel automatically.

Cons: It is hard to use with products not owned by microsoft. It is not easy to pull data directly from oracle. There are a lot of known driver issues that are being worked on. In the cloud as it is now it runs a little slower.

A nice Relation DB

Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Juan carlos G.
IA Developer
Telecommunications, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I used to be working with freeand unexpensibe software like postgreSQl and mysql , moving to paid bar allowme to programm all my task on jobs or triggers making everything more easy and leaving me with more time to develop. Also my team controll allow me to check whats going on an d how did every move.

Pros: Easy to use , many tools to help you with , most of our partnets use it. Lots of information on internet. Frequenly updated and patched up for microsoft. Help you with data analysis works on windows and ISS

Cons: Heavy size . Most of the features are not used for new users. Costly yearly billing.

Efficient & Affordable RDBMS Product

Reviewed on 29/09/2018
Vijai T.
CV /AV Architect
Automotive, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Great experience using this product back from SQL 2000 days to SQL Server 2017. Have used for both small size applications to big data projects that has data over 100 gb. Partitioning, Indexing, Sprocs, Views are used and taken advantage off. Automatic plan correction, Adaptive Query Processing are improvements in 2017 need to take advantage off. My vote is for this product

Pros: Nice GUI & Easy to configure using wizards. Scalable product from midsize to complex solutions. Has come a long way from where it was started back from late 90's to till date. On par with other RDBMS products like Oracle in the market. Microsoft has built nice cluster support especially for redundancy and high availability.. New features such as Dynamic resource allocation, Graphical Query Analyzer, OLAP services are huge win. Additional products to support warehousing & Reporting, Transformation services, Analytics is a huge plus. Lot of performance improvement with 2017 version.Bang for the buck.

Cons: Still there's a concern from consumers perspective that SQL Server is for mid-complex systems. For ERP based systems, IoT use cases users go for No SQL products. Another challenge is for global distributed database solutions there's challenge especially Mirroring of data, synchronization, concurrency it's a huge challenge.

The best is yet to come.

Reviewed on 06/08/2019
Sudharshan S.
Software Engineer
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: great and fulfilling. the Future is definitely bright.

Pros: SQL Server in traditional sense always belonged to a group of mid range companies. Hosting terrabytes of data was never a part of its ideals. But the recent upgrades for its availability on the cloud makes one wonder where it is headed. I think the future for SQL Server is good.

Cons: NO SQL functionality does not exist. Although columnar, flat file data sources can exist, the SSAS functionality needs to include a database conversion to a NO SQL database view. This greatly enhances the visibility of a transactional database.

MS SQL -- Database Engine

Reviewed on 14/04/2019
Sourav K.
Software Engineer
Information Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are using it as a main backend Database engine and it is doing well

Pros: it is a great RDMS engine that has a great User friendly interface .We can easily manage the database with the help of interface that provides a lot number of options and thus makes job of DBA more effective and Reliable .we can easily restore the database and operates Database functions like update , delete , insert etc and if needed we can also trace the query that is running at a time with the help of inbuilt tool called profiler. Remote access of the Database engine is very easy to configure , we just need to put the Database engine name , user name and password and we are connected and perform operations. To automate certain query , another built in tool called Job agent can be used by which we can create the job in which we just need to put the SQL query and its timing means when will it be executed .We can also integrate permission in the SQL as per the Organization and thus making it more secure .Database backup , schema extraction of the objects , most heavy query , most occupied table can be done with very ease.

Cons: WebAgent takes a lot of CPU utilization and thus making System slow
Large queries having millions of lines of code is not handled properly
Does not automate shrink table size when data is deleted from the table ,need to done manually

MS SQL Server is the best tool for DBMS - All in one

Reviewed on 22/02/2019
Charan G.
Senior Software Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am using the MS SQL server since 2011 which is almost 9 years and I never faced any challenges in database management. I would say it is a great application, easy to learn, use and play with it. Also, Microsoft is having great support for this application in terms of documentation, trouble shooting and live support. Whenever I faced any challenges in terms of server connectivity, database connection, authentication I always get a solution from Microsoft forums to resolve this issue. Simply I am a happy user and I would recomend MS SQL to others as well.

Pros: The MS SQL Server helps our organization to create/organize/maintain customers data. For most of the Web applications, we are using the MS SQL server for database management. It is not only helping to manage customer database, but it also helps in generating SRS reports for our valuable client. It gives ability to create tables, stored procedure, functions, triggers, backup and restore the data. It is having job scheduling capability as well. It is having the ability to create indexes on database tables which allows us to retrieve the database in a faster manner.

Cons: I don't have anything to mention here. I find everything is good in this software. Using the MS SQL Management Studio you can use this software for your database management.

Stable, fast and reliable

Reviewed on 09/01/2019
Ebrahim F.
Software Developer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, my experience with SQL Server has been awesome

Pros: As a lot of my development work depends on SQL Server, it is something that I use almost every day. It is extremely stable and reliable and certainly the only database platform that I will ever consider working with. There is still so much I have yet to learn about SQL and so much to explore, but for my current skills and work requirements, it is excellent and always works well. From simple queries to complicated procedures, I always find it a pleasure to work with.
I have worked with other database architectures before, but found that SQL is much quicker, as well as easier to work with.

Cons: My problem is with SQL Management tools and some of their limitations, but not SQL Server itself. One such example would be backing up and restoring of large databases (40GB upwards). While backups are mostly a breeze, restoring becomes extremely challenging and time-consuming as the database grows beyond the 40GB mark. I am not sure if this is because of the limitations on the available management tools, or if it is an actual problem with SQL server, as the large databases I have worked with had no issues with CRUD operations or backups.

SQL Server - Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed on 15/11/2018
Michael H.
Systems Engineer
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have spent more than a decade working with SQL Server and various technologies from a Sys-Admin/Sys-Analyst role in modern day IT organizations. I've had the opportunities to install, maintain, worked on and within, and develop throughout several versions of SQL Server. I've worked in SaaS and Web App for providers that combined have covered the entire Fortune 50 and more than half of the Fortune 500. I've worked in JavaScript prior to and throughout it's massive growth creating projects in NodeJS using mssql and node-mssql to transform SQL data into useful JSON object sets on the fly since before SQL could even output JSON. I've authored several helpful tools over the years combining SQL Server with bleeding edge platforms to provide tools to previous organizations that were better at the time than even some leading tools performing those functionalities today.

Pros: SQL Server is an industry standard software. It is highly configurable, capable of multiple setups, and deeply ingrained with the Microsoft Windows platform. Administration is quick, effective, and easier than ever.

Cons: SQL Server 2017 has a weak implementation of Graph databases which will be a much more prevalent database type once big data and IoT really kicks in. In my opinion, Microsoft should be forcing the graph database capabilities forward and trying to match products like NEO4j in performance.

SQL Server in my daily life

Reviewed on 07/08/2018
Software Developer
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: 70% of my daily office work is depend upon this product. Whenever i need to debug the issue, find the query, procedure executed behind the display then i have to execute on Sql Server. I use to select the data, update, alter , change in any column as per requested by customer. I always check my CPU, Execution time, reads and writes to improve the performance of my product display.

Pros: This is one of the product which I use in my daily life.
1. With this , I check all the data in the tables which show in the front end (display).
2. I use one of the feature i.e. Sql Profiler to get the query, procedure, tables etc which executing while load the display.
3. Get the execution time , CPU time , Reads, Wrtites, etc of the query from profiler with this product.
4. We can make shortcut keys of the query which you use the most like select query, show the columns of particular columns etc.

Cons: Sometimes, I faced the issue while using the WINDOW+R shortcut which toggles the result set. Many times it stucks and then I toggle the result set by dragging it.
For installing it , need compatible software, window version. It took more time to set up . If one of the requirements is not fulfilled then you have to make it compatible and try again the process.

SQL Server - Costly but Worth It for Business

Reviewed on 14/08/2019
Pam K.
Sr. Sysadmin
Aviation & Aerospace, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our in-house ERP system was built originally on Access. We moved over to SQL Sever and gained many business rich features that help empower us to meet our customer requirements.

Pros: Set up and deployment is simple compared to some of the 'free' and 'open source' software packages available.

Cons: Costly. Very, very costly. The price keeps increasing for on premise versions of SQL Server.