15 years helping British businesses

Quickbooks Online Reviews

4.3 (6,438) Write a Review!

About Quickbooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a small business accounting software and app that allows you to manage your business anywhere, anytime.

Learn more about Quickbooks Online

Pros:

Everything is easy to use, the bank integration feature is super helpful, and I can do it on any computer that has internet.

Cons:

When you first start using the app it can be irritating and tricky.

Quickbooks Online ratings

4.2
4.0
4.2
4.1

8.0/10

Quickbooks Online has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 6,438 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Quickbooks Online before?

Filter reviews (6,438)

Kurt
Kurt
Creative Director/Founder in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

I Love the Access I have with Quickbooks Online

Comments: As I already said, I love the direct access to my numbers and the added reporting that has allowed me to better run my company by quickly getting insights I need. It's a lot easier for customers to pay online and I'm finding more and more of the moving that direction vs. sending in checks, so it's good that we are set up in this way now.

Pros:

I started using desktop Quickbooks back in 2000 right after I first started the company. As a single-person company at first, I got used to being in the books almost every day. As we grew we added an in-house Bookkeeper. A few years ago I relocated the company to a different area and we kept our Bookkeeper who stayed in the original area. I really missed having direct access to the numbers so last year I switch to Quickbooks Online and I love it. In addition to having direct access to the numbers I need, it has a lot of other functionality and reporting that I really like. It's also great for clients to easily pay the invoices online. It's making a night and day difference. Support has been great as well.

Cons:

It's definitely very expensive to be paying a pretty high fee every month - especially compared to the desktop version where we bought it and were good for years to come. It's definitely worth it but I'd be more of an evangelist if the pricing was a little easier on the pocket book.

Cody
Office Administrator in Canada
Civil Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use and cheap

5.0 4 days ago New

Comments: Incredibly easy to use as long as you don't need the helpdesk. Let's us do everything from timekeeping, to payroll, invoicing, taxes, expenses and reporting.

Pros:

Price and ease of use. Quickbooks includes all the things we need to run our small business and costs less than what others cost just for payroll.

Cons:

The helpdesk is completely useless. I've spent at least 100 hours in the last year to get issues resolved that end up not getting fixed, I fix it myself, or I knew what needed fixing and it took forever to get somebody to do it.

Samuel
CEO in Canada
Internet, 2–10 Employees

No support whatsoever

1.0 5 days ago New

Comments: Abysmal. We've experienced too many bugs, and they lost our payroll data with no resolution in sight.

Pros:

It has most of the features we need, and doesn't feel like a compromise compared to a desktop app. It's initially easy to set-up and use.

Cons:

It's extremely buggy, and the support is non-existent. Modules stop working entirely, like the whole payroll system, and it can take weeks or months before the issue is resolved. Think about that for a second. Their support is horrendous; they do not call back when they say they will, and will never let you speak with a supervisor or anyone who could possibly escalate your ticket. Every time you call back, you're starting from scratch; The bottom-line is, when something goes wrong, no one is ever held accountable, and you are on your own. Also note that the US and Canadian instances are a completely different product, and so it's difficult to find 3rd party plugins that work with your geographical region.

Melidee
Accounting Manager in US
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Quickbooks for Civil Engineers

Pros:

Accessibility - able to work remotely from anywhere.

Cons:

Customer service - or lack thereof. Unable to resolve issues, especially with payroll.

President in US
Insurance, 2–10 Employees

Quickbooks online - transition

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I have been pleased with the move and will not be looking at other options. Quickbooks online works great.

Pros:

Moving from our managment system to QBO allowed for easier reporting and record keeping

Cons:

I have had no issues/cons so far with quickbooks online.

Vlad
Financial Controller in UK
Oil & Energy, 2–10 Employees

Equus Petroleum Limited

5.0 6 days ago New

Pros:

Easy to use and maintain our accounting records and financial reports.

Cons:

Ability to implement Group consolidation will be a great feature unless it's already there and I don't know about it.

LAURA
Co-Founder in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Amazing but could use more help with payroll

5.0 5 days ago New

Comments: Overall positive experience - some hiccups with payroll.

Pros:

Love that it organizes everything for me and creates easy reports and really fast with invoices and direct deposits and issuing payroll to our employees.

Cons:

I wish it organized payroll taxes better - the customer service is just ok when tax issues arise. For example one of my taxes wasn't paid through quickbooks and I got charged a late fee and I wish quickbooks alerted me it wasn't able to pay it.

Mumta
Import & Export, 2–10 Employees

New QB invoice update

4.0 5 days ago New

Comments: It’s been mixed feelings, the QB is better efficient on the accounting side most of the times but not for the day to day user.

Pros:

That banking is attached and there is AI technology

Cons:

The worst is the recent invoice update since I am not able to view product and service section and it gets cut off while description section is long which most of the times I do not need. Also, an autamated system to create invoices will make doin business much quicker

Mark Angelo
Researcher in Philippines
Computer Games, Self Employed

High quality Product

5.0 last month New

Comments: I found that QuickBooks has an easy-to-use layout that allows people with different degrees of accounting knowledge to utilize it.

Pros:

I'd like their service especially their Billing & Invoicing Features because of this feature I can easily maintain a positive cash flow

Cons:

well for me, Quickbooks is a subscription-based service and the price can be an issue, based on the size of your company.

Maureen
Maureen
President in US
Accounting, Self Employed

Quickbooks Online (QBO)

4.0 4 days ago New

Comments: For very small companies it's a suitable option. But it is significantly slower and limited than their desktop version.

Pros:

Cloud storage, access to multiple users simultaneously.

Cons:

Reports are much more limited than QB Desktop.

Kaitlen
Bookkeeper/Payroll Associate in Canada
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Our Cloud Accounting Software of Choice

Comments: The freedom that QBO provides you is amazing. I recently moved to BC from Ontario and was able to keep my job because our firm uses QBO. If we had been on desktop for our clients, I would't have been able to keep my job and would have had to find work elsewhere. My boss is about to work remotely from her cottage for the month of August because she CAN! How many people do you know can say that?

Pros:

I find QBO to be super user friendly. I love that they have a training program so you can become basic and advanced certified. We make everyone in the office do the certification program, but nothing beats user experience. QBO is the first cloud-based accounting software I was introduced to, and I find it fabulous. I even recommended it to my parents for their business instead of their custom desktop-based software and they are going to move to it at the end of August.

Cons:

Sometimes the banking feeds have a hard time staying connected which can be very frustrating. It's not Quickbook's fault for this - it's the banks. But it is still frustrating at times when you lose a connection and have to call up your client to re-enter their details. Thank goodness for screen-sharing! Their customer support has lovely people, but they are not always knowledge in the ways they should be. A lot of the times, we already know the issue that we are experiencing and need to speak to someone high-level to be able to resolve the issue. There should be an advanced call center to be able to speak to extememly well-versed people that know QBO in and out.

Scott
Business Owner in US
Printing, 2–10 Employees

Too many problems with the Software and poor support

Comments: First, when I moved my business from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks Online, it cost me thousands of dollars in accounting fees to fix all the errors that QBO introduced. The transition was a nightmare, and took months to sort out. Inuit was ZERO help during this time. Since then QBO has gotten worse, not better. There are constant sync issues with bank accounts and credit cards, and QBO staff always recommend that you call your bank or credit card company. But these are QBO issues, and can only be resolved by QBO engineers, sometimes with the help of the bank or card company in question. It's ridiculous to ask a consumer to get involved in those kinds of issues, and a complete waste of time. I have had numerous times where a credit card purchase showed as being processed, but only months later we found it didn't and lost the money - thousands of dollars in total. QBO and Intuit Merchant services take no responsibility. Recently QBO forced Paypal as a payment option, and users cannot turn it off. But payments come in with no name associated with the payment. QBO insists this is a paypal problem, but it is not. A client receives an invoice online, pays it online, and then Quickbooks cannot match the payment to a name, but won't let you turn off paypal as an option. If clients pay an invoice just using your email, using paypal without QBO, then payments match. Clearly QBO has a big problem here.

Pros:

It is convenient when it works. You can theoretically sync your bank accounts, credit cards and client payments, saving time in accounting and eliminating a lot of data entry

Cons:

Merchant Services is expensive and unresponsive. The software has many bugs, and often won't sync with accounts for days or more. Tech support is hit and miss, and often I will resolve an issue before they can. In line ads are extremely annoying, and QBO treats its customers as a product, rather than a customer. There is no service level agreement and Intuit takes zero responsibility if they lose your data. They no longer have a phone number you can call. You have to wait for a callback, and many times they don't call back.

Steve
Manager in US
Arts & Crafts, 2–10 Employees

Great where fits - might leave you looking for more

Comments: Moved from QB Desktop. Love having access where-ever and multiple people able to access it. QBO is much less feature rich than QBD. But, with QBD, you have to either log into a server, or remote desktop. It's stuck in the 90's. So, to make it even work, we had to get a plugin to manage our inventory and orders. If QB Desktop version would move online, it would definitely be a 30 year leap back to the present.

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to use, widely known, and priced affordably. Good for a small business. Having it online was a necessity. Having it link to bank accounts so smoothly is nice.

Cons:

If it's not the QB way, you have NO WAY. They are not interested in helping with any needs of YOUR business. If your business doesn't fit into THEIR way, too bad. But, overall, they have a good program that fits most of your business needs. i.e. If you want sales orders and inventory management - you might as well be asking a rock. i.e. If you want to use your own credit card processor, they will force extra steps on you and take away features and functionality.

Taylor
Treasurer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Overall a great choice for nonprofits

Comments: Overall I am very pleased by my experience with QBO. While I struggled with initial implementation, it has very much streamlined financial management once I figured out how to more efficiently utilize the software. The flexibility of using QBO through my browser of software download is an immensely important feature that I cannot overstate - since my position is volunteer/unpaid, if I ever leave the organization they cannot be tied to a software downloaded on my personal laptop. Plus its just nice to know that I have access anywhere I need, regardless.

Pros:

QBO has made it so much easier to stay on top of finances for the nonprofit I work with. It's so nice to add bills for reimbursement of expenses to stay on top of when the expense occurred as well as when the reimbursement check was written vs deposited. Automatic linking to my bank account and to paypal is a lifesaver. I don't know what I would do without locations or being able to use classes for fund reporting/functional expenses.

Cons:

There was definitely a steep learning curve, and I've just had to accept that some of the transactions I was doing when I first started weren't done in the most 'ideal' way. I'm adding historical finances for 8 years and struggling with handling inventory in particular, since I'm both trying to keep up with current purchases/sales and build the historical financial statements. While the QBO online forum is generally helpful for troubleshooting issues, sometimes I run into features that just aren't available on QBO and only on QuickBooks desktop which is incredibly frustrating when I know how useful it would be.

Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Quickbooks Online- The Easy Accounting Software

Comments: It is great accounting software for a small business. We are able to manage expenses, send invoices, run payroll, keep track of inventory and generally organize our books. Access to accounting information from anywhere anytime is a plus. It is fairly affordable and has a 30-day free trial.

Pros:

The linking of the bank accounts makes reconciliation easy at the end of the month. The banking interface allows for the classifying of transactions which makes work easy for recurring transactions. The software integrated well with our existing business management software. Customers are able to make payments online easily. The ability to access the accounting information from anywhere comes in handy especially in these times when organizations are moving to remote working due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Cons:

The frequent upgrades sometimes make it difficult to find features that you have used previously. Customer support can do better in promptly assisting customers when an issue arises. If an error occurs in the original entry, correcting it is usually a lengthy process. You may have to contact customer support to do it from the back end.

Music, 2–10 Employees

The Best Accounting Software For Small Businesses!

Comments: Overall I love Quickbooks Online and recommend it to all small business owners that I know! It's been a huge help for my business in getting our accounting organized, without having to hire a book keeper. Invoicing has never been easier, as it keeping track of income and expenses. It's perfect at tax time and helps keep us on track to get as many deductions as possible. It's simply the best of it's class...

Pros:

The interface of Quickbooks Online couldn't be better. It easily links to your bank accounts and starts to understand your accounting categories right away. It's super customizable and the features are in depth and thorough. I love how intuitive (no pun intended) the software is overall. It's also great that it's online so you can login from anywhere, including on an app, to track everything.

Cons:

The only real limitation I can think of with the software, is sometimes weird errors can happen with your balance sheet / income statements. Everything really needs to be exactly dialed in , otherwise errors can happen and throw things off. While this is probably due to human error, for someone like me who is not an accounting expert, this can be frustrating to figure out where things went wrong...

Ahmad
Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

QBO is excellent for non-profit except for a few limitations

Comments: It is the best for small size non-profits as long as one can find an away to produce end of year donation tax statements

Pros:

If you know how to setup the chart of accounts including using Locations and Classes you can fairly run non-profit accounting very smoothly. Data entry is simple. Reporting is fairly good. Import and export functions are very good.

Cons:

There are serious limitations with issuing end of year donation statements. One can't filter out sales and can't customize the statement text to meet regulations. The statements are very inflexible.

Amit
Director in UK
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Great within limits

Comments: The support team provided me assurances that the issue would be resolved but never was. I eventually had lower subcontractors after a few months so I stopped bothering.

Pros:

Intuitive and Powerful accounting tool. Also like the fact that our annual accounts generation is now extremely low cost, as we are able to outsource to UK qualified accountants who may be based abroad.

Cons:

You can outgrow it quickly. When we had 45+ subcontractors filling their timesheets on QB, the consolidated invoice generation at the end of month started getting problematic. Apparently there is a 1000 record limit to how many daily time records can be included into an invoice. Their support couldn’t help. I self diagnosed the issue

last year

Hello there, and thanks for your review, Amit! It's awesome to hear that QuickBooks Online is working so well for your business, and congratulations on your companys growth. Please keep in mind that you can upgrade your subscription type in-account at any time if you feel like you need more room to grow. If you're still running into any issues, or need help, please feel free to reach out by phone or chat using the 'Help(?)' icon > 'Contact Us' in-account, and we'd be glad to get you taken care of from there. We appreciate you being part of the QuickBooks family! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Anthony
University Intern in Ecuador
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Streamline Your Accounting Process with Quickbooks Online

Comments: I had the chance to work with Quickbooks Online while serving as an IT intern at a small firm near my university. I discovered the software to be user-friendly and intuitive. I could access financial data using its cloud-based platform from any place, which was especially helpful when working remotely. I had no trouble creating and sending invoices, keeping track of spending, or handling payroll. I was able to further streamline the accounting process because to the software's connectivity with other third-party programs.

Pros:

In order to meet the requirements of small businesses, Quickbooks Online provides a full range of accounting tools. Users can access financial data through its cloud-based platform at any time and from any location. The program includes tools for controlling expenses, managing payroll, and tracking inventory. Additionally, Quickbooks Online integrates with many different third-party applications, giving users more functionality and flexibility. Users find it simple to learn how to use and navigate thanks to its user-friendly interface and thorough instructions.

Cons:

The pricing structure of Quickbooks Online is one of its biggest flaws. The cost of the program is determined by the plan and the number of users, and it is charged on a monthly subscription basis. The price may be too high for some users, particularly small firms with tight resources. Additionally, despite the software's extensive feature set, not all businesses may find it useful because some users may need more specialized accounting tools.

Terry
Terry
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Accounting at your fingertips anywere

Comments: My experience with Quickbooks online has been mostly positive. I find the best thing is that I can just pull up the software on the web, or in the app on my phone and take care of business while I am out on the road doing service calls.

Pros:

I like that I can access my information while I am out on the road. It's also a bonus that it integrates with my ticking software so that I can just export the information from that and it syncs right into Quickbooks online. I also depend on the ability to input and scan expense receipts so that I don't have to do it when I get home.

Cons:

The price is a little hard to swallow when coming from the desktop version of Quickbooks for so many years. Also there are some features that is in the Desktop version that hasn't been implemented yet.

2 years ago

Hey there, Terry! We deeply appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and we're so glad to hear that transitioning to QuickBooks Online has helped simplify your daily work-flow! If you need anything or have questions in the future, feel free to get in touch through the Help (?) icon in-account. You can also reach out through our QB Community: (quickbooks.intuit.com/community) Or on our Social Media pages for support as well! All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Felice
Office Manager in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

QuickBooks Online 2021

Comments: I have used QuickBooks Online for a number of years and, for the most part, it has been positive - except for the decline in service over the past couple of years. It gets what you need done, but don't look for it to be too customizable for your individual needs.

Pros:

QuickBooks Online is a relatively easy product to set up and start using. Over the past few years there a more and more programs that can be integrated into it. It gives you the basic details you need if you take the time to set it up correctly.

Cons:

I don't know why QuickBooks did not give the online version the same features that the desktop version has. We sometimes struggle to work with our accountant as she only knows the desktop version, and when she asks us to make a change, it is hard for her to explain how to do it because the method is different. Also, there are not as many reports available in the online version. One thing that really bugs me is that even if you add a memo, there is no way to get it to appear on the check or in the memo area of the ledger. Lastly, I feel like customer service has really declined over the past couple of years - it feels like QuickBooks is not supporting their staff and giving them the training they need.

2 years ago

We definitely appreciate your business, and your feedback regarding the Online version. Alternatively, you can use the QuickBooks Desktop version but put in on the Right Networks hosting cloud. This allows you to access the Desktop program from anywhere as long as you have access to the internet. This a great option to have access to the Desktop version on the go and to get additional reports (https://tinyurl.com/2p993nn2). Wishing you the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Anna
Anna
Lower School Science Teacher in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Gets the job done-- but very buggy.

Comments: QuickBooks online has its weaknesses and bugs. However, after my research I think it's the best option out there for now.

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to "plug in" and go... You can use their templates and basic accounts and set up your own accounting system in no time. I had no bookkeeping or accounting experience before using QuickBooks Online, and I was proficient after about 6 months of part-time use. Having an accountant log-in is so helpful in today's world so many people are working from home/ traveling/ etc. It is indispensable for my organization to have an online accounting platform that I, my organization's volunteer treasurer, and our hired accountant can all access from our home computers. As a non-profit organization that only pays a tiny amount of sales tax, that portion of the software is very functional and is one fewer thing I have to deal with. I do not use payroll through this system, so I cannot comment on the functionality of that portion.

Cons:

The bugs in the software (accounts that won't delete, messing up check numbers, etc) are the most annoying part of using QuickBooks Online for me. If you are a small team, you can just work around them and you eventually learn what they are, but it is repeatedly annoying. Their customer service is weak, but there are lots of affordable training courses that can fill in those gaps as you use the program. I sometimes wish that Quickbooks Online were MORE customizable (i.e. allow you to delete certain generic accounts), and I sometimes wish it were LESS customizable (journal entries can be numbered ANYTHING which confuses me). Overall, I think it allows me to do most of what I need to do in bookkeeping for my non-profit.

Sarah
VP, Director of Finance in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Quickbooks offers an elegant handling of non-profits

Comments: From quickbooks we have liked a lot of functions. Among them are the fact of being able to manage accounting projects (with billing system included) and be able to manage payroll. In this sense, you can even create invoices, which is convenient. The negotiation process facilitated by quickbooks has turned out to be something wonderful. It does not take long, and they are flexible with the terms of service. The display demonstrated by the capacity of quickbooks has turned out to be surprising in all the occasions in which we have used it. Is very large. The quickbooks sales team was responsible for responding adequately to all our doubts about the use of the service. Respond quickly to the needs of customers.

Pros:

Your invoice templates are very customizable. It is good for keeping the accounts of non-profit organizations, because it has tools for both bank reconciliation and fund accounting. Quickbooks offers a good system of payroll transfers, very stable. Quickbooks has helped us a lot with the management of resource accounting throughout our history as a business. It is ideal when it comes to organizing economically, and to put together budgets. Its integration with the Microsoft Outlook platform is recommended.

Cons:

The platform does not allow managing sales forecasts, or managing human resources. In this area there is no tracking system for absences, wage garnishments, and unforeseen expenses billing. Neither can you process payments, taxes, or fixed assets. Does not have a treasury management function.

4 years ago

Great review, Sarah! We love knowing that you've enjoyed using QuickBooks to complete so many tasks for your organization. You can count on us to be there for all of your accounting needs for years to come. We recommend checking out our Blog to find out more about ways we're working to improve (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv). Additionally, this article provides details on setting up wage garnishments (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/process-payroll/setting-up-a-wage-garnishment/01/370809#M7725). Lastly, we invite you to take a look at the following link to find out more about processing payments in your QuickBooks account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/merchant-services/process-payments-in-the-merchant-service-center/00/186106). Cheering you to continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Kristen
Kristen
Society Curator in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

A little outdated, but still reliable software workhorse

Comments: There's not much I can say in addition to what I've said in the above sections. I've been using QuickBooks for around 10 years, both for my own business as well as when working for other small businesses in the past, and it's been both a joy and a pain in the butt at times. Overall, I'd still highly recommend QuickBooks as the go-to software for most businesses, because it's just so versatile and has a lot of great features. However, I'd highly recommend watching a few videos or even taking a class or two before using some of the more complex features. Otherwise, you're bound to make one small mistake that acts like a parasitic vine, weaving and entangling its way into the rest of your account features, and becoming a bit of pain to unravel.

Pros:

Because QuickBooks has been around for so long, there are tons of resources for information regarding how to use the software most effectively, and how to troubleshoot particularly strange issues that may arise. I appreciate that QuickBooks can be used for a business of almost any size, whether you're running a small business from home, or a multi-million dollar per year construction company. There are plenty of options for things like inventory management, accounts payable/receivable, billing/invoicing, tax scheduling, etc. The options are nearly endless, and (most) of them are reasonable easy to figure out with a little experience and know-how.

Cons:

Because QuickBooks was created so long ago, some of their features continually fall behind the times. They're always just one step behind technological innovation, and their software isn't always the most user-friendly. I think it may be a symptom of the software being designed by tax-minded individuals, who tend to think wildly differently from the majority of people who are going to use this software. Some of the features are difficult to find or use, the user-interface is a bit clunky, the software can be a bit slow at times, and there's a steep learning curve for some of the more advanced features.

Cornelius
Managing Member in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Buyer Beware

Comments: The online version is a decent product but I am sure there are other online accounting software packages that provide the same or much more. Dealing with the online accountant customer service department is a total waste of time. Their management team seems to be concerned with their numbers more than customer appreciation. Terrrrrible! My advice: "Buyer beware!"

Pros:

The ability to assign classes in creating rules for the electronic bank transaction imports. The desktop version does not offer that function. It's sad because I know that if the QuickBooks Online software code writers can create that functionality in the online version, then they certainly should be able to create that functionality for the desktop versions which most subscribers have been using for decades now.

Cons:

The unexpected price hikes on your account without formal notification or fair warning. Quickbooks has probably been the worst software vendor in that they always find a way to raise your rates by using creative and deceptive means such as switching online account holders and their client accounts to the Advanced Online version as a trial run without the account holders authorization. They leave the burden on the account holder to cancel the Advanced version trail for each of their online client accounts, which most account holders are not even aware that their clients have been switched. Terrrrrible! I'm sure there are laws that prohibit this type of deceptive behavior. Currently I am switching most of my clients back to the desktop versions until I can find an alternative Accounting software that my clients and I can appreciate.