15 years helping British businesses

About BQE CORE Suite

Time & expense tracking made simple & easy. Capture more revenue, speed up cash flow, and work more efficiently with BQE CORE.

Learn more about BQE CORE Suite

Pros:

Overall the experience is good, however the accounting module should be improved in order to be more user friendly.

Cons:

Early on we had a difficult time understanding the vendor bill workflow.

BQE CORE Suite ratings

4.3
4.6
4.4
4.5

8.7/10

BQE CORE Suite has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 748 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used BQE CORE Suite before?

Andrew
Andrew
Managing Partner in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Yep, there is a feature for that!

Comments: Good. Invoicing and time entry in the program fit our needs. There are always more features that we discover when we need more from CORE.

Pros:

The program is cloud based which keeps us current. Most of the time when I have specific report, feature, or activity that I want, I can find what I need quickly. As with many programs, CORE does more than my office utilizes it for. Invoicing and time entry are usually smooth processes.

Cons:

We migrated from ArchiOffice and feel that the way contacts are managed in CORE is utterly useless. We've abandoned it in favor of a piecemeal assortment of Office 365 and Mac built-in programs.The structure of projects is also something that can be improved. When a project transforms from hourly to percentage or adds phases, CORE has some flexibility but there are troublesome aspect such as migrating time from a single phase project to ensure it can be captured in invoices.

kevin
Field Inspector in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

BQE Core Review

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall satisfied with BQE, easily can get my time cards done on a daily basis.

Pros:

Ease of use & the incredible visibility of time spent.

Cons:

Slight lag at times but usually it will come and go.

Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Software has issues, but their customer support is pretty good

Comments: In theory, I like all of the features that core has to offer, however, when the features don't work the way they're supposed to it becomes a bit of a nightmare to use. It has a lot of bugs, crashes often and in general is just not very user friendly.

Pros:

I like the expense management feature for employee reimbursement and client billing purposes. I also liked the accounting feature that allows you to bill expenses straight from the Cloudfeeds. I also really liked their customer support. They have a solid team on standby for customer support. I would often get the same person when I called. They are super friendly and know how to navigate the software.

Cons:

It's time consuming to use - it's so slow and there are a lot of features that bug out and simply don't work the way they're supposed to, so I spend a lot of time navigating all of that, which is a bummer.

Angela
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Still learning BUT working well for our firm

Pros:

Ease of creating new projects with various templates & phases, option to assign fee schedules and invoicing

Cons:

The platform runs slow and you have to constantly scroll. Great reporting options; however, could use improvement by allowing more customization on templates (removing fields, adding fields, etc...)

Mirna
Project Administrator in US
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

New product for us - Really like it so far

Comments: I would definitely recommend Core to others. You have to learn the product first but once you do, it's very helpful.

Pros:

The reports we are able to run are extremely useful to us. You can see how each project is doing super easily.

Cons:

At first it was a little hard to use but only because we were used to another program. Now that we use it every day, it's become very helpful.

Fran
Architecture and Project Management Depts. Manager in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

BQE Core met our needs.

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: BQE Core was easy to transition to with very little complications. It's features are very flexible and work. I learn more about it's capabilities every week.

Pros:

BQE Core is very flexible in how you can allow employees to track their time and decide if it is billable or not.

Cons:

It has many features that we do not use but I can see how other companies would appreciate the additional functions.

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Effective Time & Expense Mgmt.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Ability to address different bill rates across account base and properly generate invoices and cost accounting. Very good Customer Service. Simple to understand when onboarding new users.

Cons:

Can experience an occasional performance issue...usually short in duration

Richard
Draftsman in Canada
Design, 11–50 Employees

Core review

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Ease of use and compatibility with our work.

Cons:

Not sure I have used all the functionality yet, there may be something but haven't found it yet

Taylor
Construction Engineer in US

Easy & Efficient!

Pros:

The functions on BWQ CORE Suite are very user-friendly & easy to navigate. I am able to track my time that I spend on each project very easily, which in turn helps me prioritize my tasks for the upcoming weeks.

Cons:

Sometimes the program will run a bit slower than others that I use on my computer, but that could very well be related to the amount of information under one's profile rather than being a quality issue.

Rod
Civil Engineer III in US

Time and Expenses

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The ease of use for filing in time and knowing right away if it is billable or not.

Cons:

How it assigns the overtime hours to the last entry over 40 hours.

Felice

BQE Core Review Dec 2022

Comments: This software does take some time and effort to learn, but as with everything you get out of it what you put into it. You need to take the time to both learn and enter data so that you get accurate results.

Pros:

The customer service is outstanding and available 24-7. The software itself is easy to use as long as you put the time in to learn what it can do. Reports are great and very customizable and if you cannot find what you need there is an option to reach out for a custom report for a fee. Time entry is extremely easy to do whether you are in the office or on the go.

Cons:

Invoices when in draft mode cannot only have some changes made to them, whereas other PM software I have used lets you update more whilst in this mode. Also we started using the accounting feature and the bank feed updates are still not working

Melidee
Accounting Manager in US

Great invoicing platform for Time Based Civil Engineering

Pros:

Time tracking; overall look of the invoices; tracking payments

Cons:

Needs to improve features like adding email to each project; being able to make notes only visible to us on an invoice; seeing payment dates while looking at invoice (this takes several steps by going to the project tab); CORE can be slow and I find I have to enter 2-3 times before it will respond (Server issue?); Being able to create our own "template" for what assignments need to be used when creating a project and there's more not specified here.

Paul
Vision + Design Director in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

If you can spend the time to implement it, it’s beyond worth it.

Comments: We have really enjoyed the experience, it has since become a bit more expensive and potentially out of our price range.

Pros:

I love all the reports that we can create, track progress of our projects financially, and use it to teach our team about management.

Cons:

The price to add users is a bit high. The ability to work through custom KPIs is tough.

Jessica
Business Manager in UK
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Entering time is now much easier

Pros:

Moving to Core has definitely helped us eliminate the manual data entry process. Prior to using Core the time entry process was not that easy and we had to enter time manually for all the employees in our old software. Another area that so far, we like in Core is the powerful invoicing. Easy time entry and invoicing feature are the best so far that we enjoy in Core. We also appreciate the excellent customer service support team. They always go above and beyond to help out.

Cons:

Needs to be more user friendly. At time we did experience glitches which were rectified in a timely manner.

President in Norway
Civil Engineering, 2–10 Employees

I am happy to say that I took a leap of faith in upgrading my office to BQE

Comments: Prior to using BQE software I used Wind-2 and SEMA4 which are costly programs. I was not a newbie to using project management software when implementing BQE. My greatest frustration in using those legacy programs was that they did not have any flexibility in them that allowed me to update or “correct” erroneous entries into the system database without having the data reprogrammed in some way by the vendor. Support for BQE can assist making changes on the fly if need be and hopefully will continue to support the services industry in the future. I have witnessed the mission of BQE to continue to improve the software and support for its users. I am happy to say that I took a leap of faith in upgrading my office to BQE and have not been disappointed.

Pros:

SIMPLICITY – it is an easy transition from paper time sheets in a format that employees can easily understand. Employee time entries can add memos that are invaluable to explain charges to clients or counsel employees on their activities. FLEXIBILITY – Some projects require slightly different reporting/invoicing formats to fit the client’s needs. BQE support assists with accomplishing just that at a reasonable cost. SUPPORT – Over these years, issues in understanding inputs or reporting have been addressed in real-time, on-line, to help maintain operation schedules for billing and reporting. REPORTS – Both summary and detailed reports are available that can include memos to help clarify time and expenses. One can look at a project from different facets based on a manager’s needs.

Cons:

Some of the labor reporting modules need to be reviewed that use an integer formatted numbers that round off and be updated to use an accounting formatted number with 2 decimal places. My accounting department uses two report for payroll that use incorrect time (rounding up) instead of an exact job time/cost figure. I have to review and have them update to the corrected time values each time.

Eury
Billing Specialist in US
Management Consulting

My BQE Experience

Pros:

I like that BQE is user friendly and makes it possible for the entire company to enter their own time and expenses anywhere, anytime. I like that when there are updates to the system, users are informed. I really like that everything entered through the mobile app sinks right away into BQE. The technical support customer services is great. Even when someone is not sure of the answer, they research and get back to you. The support group is dedicated, knowledgeable and professional. Lenny is the best.

Cons:

I do not like that all reports are Word documents. With data, it is impossible to sort and filter when looking for information. It would also be easy if questions/answers could be given directly in BQE prior to invoicing instead of having to print each pre-bill and send to managers for approval and then enter their answer back in BQE. The system allows write up/down of billable hours but you cannot run an accurate report of the amounts that were written up/down (I think in BQE it includes non billable hours). I keep track of mine on an Excel spreadsheet and it would be nice if I did not need to have an additional spreadsheet. It would make more sense if each field that is populated in all categories could be use for reporting purposes. For example, if running a list of client, it would be good if we could choose what fields we want to see on the report for each client (like contact person, email address, industry...). Sometimes, I have to run three reports to get the information that I compile in one Excel spreadsheet. Maybe I do not have this information, but the only way to access report customization is via email. It would be nice to have a support line for easy questions regarding a new report.

Dale
Owner / Architect
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Great tool for the Architect's office

Comments: Overall, this is a good office management tool for the architect. We have used it for the past 10 years and find it invaluable in all we do in managing projects and running the business.

Pros:

The product is great for the management of a project from time and expense reports to document management. It also manages the office contacts and calendar of events for all the employees. It will give you in real time if you are making or losing money on a project. It tracks and creates invoicing for all project clients. If you use QuickBooks, it is integrated directly with that software for complete accounting management. It is a great tool for Architects in that it is formatted for what we do (tasks and phasing of projects). If you have internet connection, you can get access to this program while on the road,

Cons:

When opening up project file, it takes 2 or 3 clicks to open up a file, such as Word, PDF and AutoCAD. Very, Very frustrating. Many of my employees do not use is function and simply use Window file manager to open and move files. We should not have to do this. It uses Java in the background for some of its operations, and I am not a fan of Java... it is always updating. Updating of the software is somewhat difficult for the person not a computer nerd.

Jaydra
President, Investigator in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Great product! Practical, customizable, and good value for the money.

Comments: This product saves me time and keeps all my cases organized so I never miss important deadlines or follow-up tasks. Well worth the money.

Pros:

1) It has a nice look and it's easy to use because it is organized in an intuitive manner. 2) It is also incredibly customizable. There are so many ways to filter reports and adjust who sees which reports and when, it kind of blows my mind. I have done so many things to customize this software to my firm's needs and I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. This also means it will continue to be useful as my firm grows, which is incredibly valuable. 3) It's a cloud-based software, which means I never have to worry about installing the latest updates. It's also an extra bonus layer of data security because the data is not housed on my local in-office server. 4) Tracking time is easy, and once hours have been billed to the client they are marked in the system (this may seem like a pretty basic feature, but it was surprisingly difficult to find in a case management software). 5) It talks to QuickBooks online, and it's easy to transfer data. It saves a lot of time to transfer invoice and other data from the project management software directly into my accounting system. 6) The customer service and follow-up support is great. I was walked through the initial implementation, which got me up and running almost immediately - very little work time invested in the implementation. After using the software for a few weeks, I scheduled a one-on-one training session with a BQE trainer to get all my firm-specific questions answered which was great.

Cons:

My only (minor) complaint is that it does not yet also function as a CRM. I hope they add this feature because I'm looking forward to incorporating that data and function into the same system as my case management.

Scott
CEO in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

The logic/use process seems to flow very well

Comments: The logic/use process seems to flow very well. The QuickBooks integration is very stable and makes sense once you understand it. The user interface looks nice, is operationally smooth and is very responsive both in design and speed.

Pros:

Overall, very good. There was a learning curve, as with all software, but it makes sense once you figure it out. There are lots of connectors/features so knowing what you need is a big part of this. Support has been very good. They methodically think through processes and help with issues, configuration settings, or bugs (which I recently filed and it will already be fixed by the weekend). The software appears to do what I need it do (Project/Time/Expense Management) and may also be our replacement for QuickBooks once we get the processes figured out. The cost seems to be fair and it’s Tiered Usage based on user needs was great and something competitors didn’t offer very well. We look forward to continue to use the product

Cons:

Its big and complicated. I would spend time investing in documentation on what things really do for the back-end. For example: The QuickBooks integration is great, but finding out what actually happens is confusing. I had to set up small tests to figure out that “activities” really mean “services” in QuickBooks and you can have select what records have to sync… documentation (very technical) is very good for people like me!

BQE Software Response

5 years ago

Hi Scott thank you so much for your review of Core, we strive to be cost-effective and provide a sleek user experience.

Louis
Quality Control Manager in US
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Our experience with BQE Core has been incredibly great!

Comments: Overall our experience with the product and people supporting it has been incredibly great. All along our journey of selection process and then on-boarding and finally day to day support we need has been a wonderful experience. The easy setup of projects using templates and option to assign bill rates by projects using fee schedules has finally reduced the steps and workload.

Pros:

We were struggling with using many software applications to run our business. With Core we everything is in one software from tracking time, expense reporting, billing and project tracking. Our project managers have real-time project progress on a wide variety of reports and the best part is they can customize dashboards to fit their needs. Rest of the management team has easy access to the information using the scheduled reports without even logging into Core. We really love the automation.

Cons:

Early on we had a difficult time understanding the vendor bill workflow.

Teddy
Senior Engineer at Engineering in Canada
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Review on BQE CORE Suite

Comments: In conclusion, I would highly recommend BQE CORE Suite to any architecture firm looking to streamline their operations. The software is packed with useful features and has greatly helped our firm become more organized and efficient. The CRM and HR features are particularly impressive, allowing us to easily keep track of our clients and team members. The initial setup and learning process was a bit challenging, but with the help of the support team, we were able to overcome it. Overall, BQE CORE Suite has been a valuable addition to our firm.

Pros:

BQE CORE Suite has been a valuable asset for our architecture firm. The integration of front and back office operations through this software has made managing projects, tracking time and expenses, handling invoicing and electronic payments much more efficient. The CRM and HR features are incredibly robust and allows us to keep our clients and team members organized and informed. Thanks to BQE CORE our profitability and project efficiency has seen a significant boost.

Cons:

The only downside to BQE CORE Suite is the initial setup and learning process. It took some time for our team to fully understand and utilize all of the features, but once we got the hang of it, we found the software to be very user-friendly and easy to navigate. The support team was helpful in guiding us through the process, and it was well worth the effort.

Lori
Director of Finances & Administration in Sweden
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

Slowly getting there

Pros:

What we like the most about Core is the way everything is integrated in one application instead of using standalone apps that do not talk to each other. The ease of pulling up the needed date is definitely helpful. I have liked how some of my suggestions to Core ideas have been implemented. If more of these could be fixed and added to the software, the use of the software would be more efficient and effective.

Cons:

Although, BQE is working on a payroll module and i have to use a a separate payroll software to process payroll. On projects when you assign a group it doesn't let you assign to all phases and this feature addition would be great.

Janiece
Director of Operations in US
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Using Core has helped us analyze our data better

Pros:

This software has lot of features and the best part is you can pick and choose the features that best fit your business. Although, Core is feature rich it is amazing how intuitive this software is. Support is great but most of the times we are able to figure out or answer our own questions if we get stuck that how simple and user friendly Core is. After switching to Core our management team is able to analyze the real time data to figure out the areas of improvement.

Cons:

No real changes to suggest as of yet. There is already a lot to absorb. Anytime we need help or improvement in the software we send the feedback to BQE

Vickie
Office Administrator in US
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Core has been a gamechanger

Comments: We use the Time, Billing and Project Management modules; with this, I've been able to reduce time spent on billing (and have much better analysis tools) even as our company has grown.

Pros:

Logical organization of procedures, ability to customize reports, outstanding live help service. Having staff manage time entries (rather than having to manually input from timesheets) has been a gamechanger. The reports are also hugely useful and help project managers keep track of budgets in real time. We're still learning and finding new ones that are useful to us.

Cons:

Sometimes loading of project lists is a little slow/temperamental, but nothing major.

Teresa
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Everything that is charged to a project can be seen in real-time

Comments: We have been using BQE since March 2015. Prior to then, we kept all project information in QuickBooks. The staff were not able to see where they were on projects since they did not have access to QuickBooks. Currently everything that is charged to a project can be seen in real-time.

Pros:

The ability for each employee to input their time/expenses is one of the features that I like the most. I also appreciate that staff members can check time and expenses for their projects to see where they are on projects with a budget. Invoicing is now streamlined because the information for the project manager's review is on one page. Budget information is on the draft invoice which makes it easy to see when a project is over/under budget, and who has coded time to the project.

Cons:

I wish there was a better way of archiving old vendor bills.

BQE Software Response

5 years ago

Teresa thanks so much for your review, we are pleased you now have a one-stop shop in real time for your projects! Thanks for being a part of the BQE Family!