Fun and easy to use

Patti S.
SAP Trainer and End User Support Specialist
E-Learning, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am an instructional designer/developer and I use PowToon as part of eLearning courses and to communicate changes to end users. The premade templates make PowToon really easy to use. I find a look I like then modify with my content. Each template has its own music but I may upload my own music and upload images to personalize the video even more. If I have a question, I can chat directly with the support team (and I have had lots of questions). I had some trouble understanding the timing of objects when I first started. (Hint: where the thumbnail displays on the time line has Nothing to do with the exit time) and was frustrated by the lack of technical information about how the product works. This is because they depend on their support team to help users. Generally this is good but I would like to see Some documentation, even if it were just voiceovers on a PowToon to explain something. I found using a PowToon to communicate a recent system change to end users resulted in about a 70% view rate instead of a close to 10% read rate for just an email for a previous communication. I host the video on our SharePoint site and provide a link so it's easy to track the views.

I just extended my subscription for another year and look forward to new features, new images, and new templates.

Pros: Easy to use, fun. Produces very professional looking videos.

Cons: It is difficult to select objects and edit if they overlap.
I would like to be able to add tags to the images so I could easily find those I want to use multiple times.
When changing the sizes of objects, both the width and height change proportionately. It would be good to be able to change just one, especially boxes.

My favorite presentation software

Reviewed on 16/01/2018
Chief Product Officer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We make a lot of marketing videos, and this software makes it very easy to throw together a high-quality presentation very quickly, saving time and money in design work.

Pros: This is my go-to presentation creation software, far better than Power-Point slides. It is clear they are constantly improving their platform with new features and updates appearing regularly in the system, and I've watched over the years how the platform has continued to improve. I've not been able to find anything comparable in price and features on the market.

Cons: Occasionally there is a delay in the uploading of content, likely processing time for information to communicate between servers. Also, I wish there were an improvement on the way to render/download a mp4 file. Currently it renders it on the server and sends an email to download. I wish there were just a simple render/download button available on the program.

Easy Presentations

Reviewed on 20/06/2019
Jefry N.
Electronic Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: From my experience with the program I can say that I have not had greater difficulties than to find myself a little disoriented at first, but thanks to its easy use and interactivity, I can learn at once and I can create my video. I would say that I would have difficulty uploading or sharing the video, because there are not enough options or the ones I want are blocked and I must pay. It would be good if the tool would allow you to share those videos over Whatsapp for free.

Pros: It is a simple and easy to use program. The presentations have many details and customization, being a very good point because it allows creating multiple videos and they do not look alike. It offers free and paid tools, also offers different ways to export or publish it; it is good the point and manages to make known the tool and the jobs and that many people can use it, either by paying or for free.

Cons: The program looks very limited at times because they don't have other tools to change the style of their videos with respect to the format, that is, it follows established parameters and does not allow recording videos to be uploaded and edited with the tools already available, but it limits itself to that format already established and in a certain way causes the authors of the videos to be somewhat limited in the subject of creativity.

Expected A Lot But Disappointed

Reviewed on 10/02/2019
Binyamin K.
Farmer
Farming, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: If you are somebody who is moderately gifted/skillful in animation or you are committed to the learning curve demanded of Powtoon it is a great, and I could see it as being a really fun, animation marketing platform.

Pros: Using Powtoon a marketer can, at an affordable price, tell the story behind their company and their product in such a way that it comes alive and captivates the viewer. The animation becomes real and pulls the viewer in. It is a well constructed and professional tool. Besides conveying a story in a powerful way, Powtoon also imparts a feeling of professionalism. It shows the viewer that you as a company, as a product creator, cares and takes pride in that which you wish to sell/impart. It sends of message of creativity and above-and-beyond pride in your product.

Cons: Although I will be the first to admit that I am not tech savvy, nevertheless there are many products on the market that are made for people like myself, so much so that people are often amazed at how much tech I'm able to navigate with so little aptitude. However, Powtoon was not one of them. When I first discovered Powtoon I was excited, when I first logged-in to Powtoon I was revved up to start creating. From the get-go it was as if I was trying to climb a very tall and vertical wall. It was more than a bit frustrating, especially given that Powtoon was touted as an easy to use creation platform. If I had been heavily invested in learning to use Powtoon I'm sure I could have, but it clearly was going to take more than a day or two of serious learning. A learning curve I was not interested in pursuing.

Great to use

Reviewed on 09/12/2018
Deepika S.
Graphic Designer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Being a graphic designer, I use this for animated videos & presentations almost everyday. powtoon has so many templates & animation effects which make it very useful to make quick videos. I love this software because it has a clean interface. Colors & design are very user friendly . I would recommend this product to everyone who wants to make animated videos & presentations.

Cons: The hardest part of this product is it sometimes takes way too much time to upload images & add videos to timeline. This is a heavy product, which hangs alot, that makes it very irritating at times.
One thing I want in this product is options to arrange the saved files in folders or as we want because the minus point is when we mistakenly open a file it comes to number one which bothers the order of the files & makes it difficult to keep a check.

Making presentations fun

Reviewed on 14/10/2018
Personal Assistant
Online Media, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I used Powtoon for many school presentations where the assignment was to make ad campaigns or short promos. Yes, Powtoon can make a presentation exciting enough to look like a commercial. I LOVE this software. It’s so usable and full of many features. It is handy for so many purposes and will certainly do the trick if you’re not interested in researching clunkier software with a bigger learning curve.

Pros: Having photos and icons that can move and appear on a timer is my favorite thing about Powtoon. This simple feature allows me to make my presentations way more interactive and entertaining. Searching or uploading images is super easy and Powtoon has a great database of basic graphics. Adding music is also incredibly easy to do.

Cons: Powtoon is not the place for detailed voiceovers. There’s really only an option to add one single audio file and when you’re working with many different slides, that can get pretty complicated. The big “Powtoon” logo in the bottom corner of the presentation also totally takes away from a professional look.

Animated, creative and unique videos to develop your ideas

Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Ulises M.
Personal de apoyo
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: An educator should always be preparing and never stop studying or preparing. That is why whenever I can take a course I do it in this case it was an elearning course and I was presented with this tool and from that moment on every occasion I can use it I develop my videos through it.

Pros: This tool is great since the environment is very friendly which allows us to devote to the development of the video without worrying about technical difficulties, as well as the possibility of inserting characters, templates and emoticons that allow us to draw the attention of the viewer by remembering that from time to time the viewer loses attention is why we have to find that in that moment that loses attention is also part of our explanation.

Cons: This tool has incredible potential to come to shape the ideas in unique and wonderful ways because in addition to having a large repertoire for the help of the video developer has the ability to add all that audiovisual element that we consider the only difficulty is that it is dependent of the Internet and without it you can not work but that reason does not detract from its great potential

Quick and dirty explainer in an afternoon

Reviewed on 01/08/2019
Learning Experience Designer
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: My assistant was able to make some pretty cool videos very quickly, despite limited technical experience with video creation. The tool presents a variety of diverse characters with stock animations for different moods or actions (e.g., explaining, gesturing angrily, looking bored). The audio recording tool allows you to retry if you're unhappy with a take, and was reasonably painless to use. The animations were simple to string together but more visually interesting than what you can produce in PowerPoint. We created a lesson plan for instructors to use where the learners responded using PowToon projects, and these were a hit. It gives them an alternative way to communicate their ideas and again, is quite easy to use.

Cons: We were not using the pro version of the tool, so we were limited in access to characters, scenes and icons. That said, the free version provided a very smooth experience. If you do not upgrade, there will be a PowToon logo and music appended to your video, and some animations will have limited customizability (e.g., a character animation may loop ad nauseum). It is also easy for a junior designer to get caught up in the capabilities of the tool and lose focus on the quality and structure of the content. It's easy to add too much irrelevant on-screen animation and so detract from your message.

I've been using Powtoon since it was in BETA. I use for both my business and the classroom

Reviewed on 28/02/2018
Linda B.
Executive Director/Food Safety Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Powtoon gave me the ability to create engaging content for my students. I've used it to create lessons in both a brick and mortar classroom as well as for online curriculum. I also use it for content on my Youtube channel.

Pros: A variety of pre-built templates to use or edit. The business version has the most options for characters. It's very easy to do voiceover and export the final product.

Cons: The collaboration function doesn't work properly. This feature is still in BETA, but I'd like to use it like you can collaborate on a Google Slides. Sometimes updates don't save. I'd be sure to click SAVE every time you make a major change, or at least each slide you create.

by PowToon on 01/03/2018

Linda, thank you for the great review,
We are making strides towards upgrading the collaboration feature into something very similar to google docs. In fact we are working on a whole new way to work in teams, share brand assets and powtoons, and work together on the same Powtoon. Stay tuned

Once you get the hang of it!

Reviewed on 12/11/2018
Manager, Instructional Design - Leadership and Talent Development
Restaurants, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The resources are constantly evolving - it's like i have a new bag of tricks every time I go to design with it. New layouts, fonts, images, etc. make everything really fun to use and fun for my clients to engage with. It is an easy way to inexpensively produce microlearning - added bonus that its visible without an LMS and can be used on the go. If you are experienced in Adobe Captivate, this design format would be very similar to the layers found in eLearning design - only in video layout.

Cons: I dont like the levels of access they make available. If you pay for it, you should have access to everything. Or, if it's not available for my level, dont put it in my design resources toolbox. I use something in a project only to learn that it's not available to me unless i go "pro".

I love how the presentations are, although it is not as fast to learn how to use it as I expected.

Reviewed on 21/06/2018
Ana H.
professor
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: what most took advantage of this application was the use of storyboard because I did not have much knowledge in making animations of this type.

Pros: - It has very nice templates and the icons, images and shapes look very modern.
- I can use it for free, with some limitations of course.
- the elements on the screen are very well organized and have guidelines to correctly place what you want to show.
- allows you to share presentations or videos through popular social networks and download them in various formats depending on the type of account, for free accounts you can download it in ppt or pdf format.
- It has good tutorials to learn how to use the application and the help center is good.
- It allows to choose between several styles of presentations such as: real, infographics, cartoon, whiteboard and modern edge.
- The storyboard function is quite useful and practical since it adapts to the type of person who will make the presentation and guides you throughout the process.

Cons: - In spite of the tutorials and help it is not so easy to use it the first time, you have to dedicate a considerable time in learning how to make animations, if you are looking for something to make animated videos quickly this application or is for you.
- the free account only allows videos or presentations with a maximum duration of 3 minutes and pro and agency accounts are quite expensive.
- he does not have options of collaboration with other people for the edition.

its so easy, and ist's fun! Best video animation software for beginners (& pros)

Reviewed on 10/03/2019
Barbara S.
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It's hatd to get attention these days! Powtoon is a perfect tool for smaller and medium companies to create social media content or explainer videos without spending too much time and money.

Pros: the variety on styles, the designs, the humour and inspiration they spread!

Cons: Probably that the organisation of the projects is still a bit rudimentary, but there are so many positive aspects, it does'nt really affect the overall positive view.

A new, creative way to do aid presentations

Reviewed on 08/02/2018
Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Great for aiding presentations

Pros: PowToon is a great software that one can use to create attractive, creative presentations using cartoon characters. The animations are fun and interesting and the great transitions make it more fun to watch and keeps your audience engaged, A major plus is that the character set is diverse and there are a lot to choose from. There is also lot of support and tutorials online for users to learn from.

Cons: Lovely software, but one of the cons that I encountered was that when my projects got too large, its seems to use a lot of CPU power because my computer lags. Another con, for those user who love freebies, the free version has a lot of restrictions.

Fun way to create presentations that really grab people’s attention

Reviewed on 04/08/2018
Social Media Coordinator
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: We all think it’s a really a fun and simple way to create professional-looking videos and infographics even for people without any design or technical background. If you’re familiar with PowerPoint, then it’s really easy to learn Powtoon but the result is something with a little more oomph.The presentations look very interesting and engaging with lots of nice options for backgrounds and animation. There are also pre-made templates available which look really appealing and are highly customizable.
There are plenty of tutorials available on the site and they break it down into bite-sized pieces. I also love the fact that I can chat directly with their customer support for help whenever a question or issue comes up.

Cons: It doesn’t allow for highly collaborative work just yet, but I am certainly hoping that this is something they are working on. I think that will streamline work for many people especially in terms of those who are working remotely but want to contribute to creating a presentation.

Animations Made Easy

Reviewed on 31/10/2018
Nick A.
District Staff Development Coordinator
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, a great addition to the education tech toolbox. Helps turn more basic presentations into something more engaging and interactive. Really supplements traditional presentations.

Pros: Powtoon just seems like one of those apps that was made with education in mind. Students enjoy spending time showing what they know through a more interactive and engaging medium. I know I appreciate its simplicity. This speak volumes in education. The templates come in handy and help you guide your creation/video automated actions/figures/characters.

Cons: There isn't a lot to choose from, which I guess makes sense given its simplicity. I just often find students looking for a tad more that they can do. Not to mention there isn't much you can customize as well. A lot is pre-fab.

Fantastic - has helped me connect with customers in an awesome format!

Reviewed on 27/03/2018
Jen C.
Education Management, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Create products that I can sell that are really fun to create!

Pros: My customers are school parents and the cartoon options really grab their attention. I love telling stories through pictures and find it so much easier to put a presentation together on powtoon than any other presentation tool I've used or to write long text.

Cons: It's at the top of my budget limit. But the features are all fantastic and they keep rolling out new ones (like square format and mobile optimized) that help me expand my product offerings.

FANTASTIC!

Reviewed on 23/02/2018
Reshma A.
Regional Organizational Development and Culture Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are able to better communicate about our change process with our teams throughout the world, and that in turn has helped us move forward!

Pros: Everything! I love all the features and have used it extensively for work. Other parts of our global organization are starting to use it too. I started the trend - and now even our Headquarters in Atlanta are using it!

Cons: Would love more culturally appropriate characters - and also the hands that are featured in the 'whiteboard' piece - can we have options to make them not only Caucasian?

by PowToon on 01/03/2018

Thank you Reshma for your kind review.
We have put a lot of emphasis in the last couple of months on character diversity, and in fact in the next few weeks you will see a great improvement on that front with dozens of new characters added.

The best video creating software for beginner!

Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Hanaa I.
Associate Video Creation
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is one of the best investments we have made. It is very convenient and a good platform to training as well.

Pros: Very convenient and easy to use. The features help us put our creativity into action with little effort. From explainer to animation, you have pre-set templates you can use. There is an array of music to choose from too. You can put together a decent video within a couple of hours.

Cons: Rendering for larger videos take a very long time, but it is quite usual in most platforms.

A fun way to get students engaged

Reviewed on 18/01/2019
Mindy K.
English Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have had my students use PowToons to create a visual representation of text. I have also had them use it as a visual aid for a speech. In both situations, it was very entertaining. The students were engaged completing the assignment and their classmates were engaged when watching their peers present.

Pros: I love anything that will grab my students' attention. I especially love it when it's something I can have them use to capture the attention of their classmates. I really like that this is flashy and doesn't require coding or graphic design knowledge to make a fun and professional presentation.

Cons: It's hard to explain to students that they can't use everything they can see. I completely understand that a company would want people to see what they could have for a price, but it's frustrating for students to see all of these really cool features and not be able to touch them.

Quickly Create Pretty Videos!

Reviewed on 06/03/2019
Academic Services Senior Professional
Higher Education, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Aside from the obvious reason that PowToon is FREE, I also like that you can create a professional-looking video without all of the headache of learning an in-depth software program. PowToon has several templates to choose from and you can just edit your information/content into the project easily.

Cons: It's a little annoying that you cannot sort through the templates (free vs. paid) and can only see ALL. You think you like a template and it turns out to be a paid upgrade. If you use PowToon enough, you will start to notice other videos/users that use PowToon and that kind of dilutes the quality. You start to see the same recycled template over and over.

Powtoon has made animation possible for everyday video needs.

Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Principal
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been able to add some video animation that I didn't possess prior to using Powtoon which has helped me create a higher level of video production results at a reasonable cost.

Pros: I like that I can easily produce animated videos for myself and clients without technically being a "video animator" on more complex software. Oftentimes, I only need a portion of a video to be animated or need a clip of animated typography, which I can now easily accomplish on Powtoon to later insert into my overall video creation.

Cons: There are some fine-tune controls that are lacking in the software, like setting timing in less than one-second increments.

Worth the investment, just a couple of functions needed

Reviewed on 10/01/2019
Adel K.
Consultant
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been using Powtoon business since 2015, very satisfied with the product except for the mentioned cons above.
Anyone with a basic knowledge about video editing can use it, the platform is straight forward, pick an animation template, and start editing it or create your own from scratch.

Pros: -If you are used to any video software, Powtoon will be easy for you to use.
-A good library of scenes, props, sounds, text, sounds, shapes images...
-Export rendering time takes a couple of minutes.
-Good support: I just used it twice but the answers were fast and clear.
-Good pricing.

Cons: -No sound time line: if we insert a sound/music it plays on all the animation!
-The animation templates library is not often updated.
-The whole platform can be better: here, I'am talking about the navigation between the sections of the sites, for exemple, even as a paid member and connected to the account, I still see the pricing table and the front page etc, a bit confusing at first, but that's not a big deal.

Use Powtoons to create engaging videos

Reviewed on 12/04/2019
School Counselor
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I learned about this program in grad school and I am thankful for it. I have been able to create videos and continue to use them for the past few years. Highly recommend

Pros: As an educator, I am constantly trying to engage parents and I often use Powtoons as a way to communicate with them. I have used this program to create videos on introducing them to stress management techniques, how to register for classes, and so much more. These videos are short and engaging for them.

Cons: There is a bit of a learning curve when using Powtoons; however, once you get use to it- it's very user friendly!

Very nice tool for creating videos, especially promos for new products or services you market.

Reviewed on 24/05/2018
Avishay "jesse" S.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: A very nice product, especially if you have no idea how to create an animated video, which is a very big thing today. Some of the free features don't cut it, but overall - a very good option to choose for your marketing endeavors.

Pros: You can create very engaging videos, with high CTR and nice music to them, a really top-notch experience come to think of it. I used it more than once to produce promo videos with a CTA attached for people to click and go straight to a landing page.

Cons: Many aspects of the platform need to be paid for; for example, the "created with Powtoon" thing, which really takes away from the experience. Canva, which is a creation tool, much like Powtoon, offers many aspects without paying for them. Most people don't even know you used Canva, and the Freemium thing is only for premium icons, backgrounds, etc. or for transparency or re-editable PDF.

Fantastic Support

Reviewed on 05/11/2018
Jessica B.
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: It is really easy to use!
I can use it for anything: in my work, in my personal life ...

Cons: I love this software! There is nothing I would change about this software!