PracticePanther Legal Software Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About PracticePanther Legal Software

Mobile friendly and secure legal software that's easy to learn and use. Save time. Grow your firm. Go paperless. Work from anywhere.

Learn more about PracticePanther Legal Software

Brad W.
Brad W.
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Best in class legal software"

Pros: PracticePanther is a 360 solution for your law firm. Its built on a robust API that allows you to connect to other tools to increase your productivity.

Cons: Similar to Clio, and other competitors, there is simply a lack of certain features, but the team is eager to learn of our needs and works to implement updates as quickly as possible.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: PracticePanther is forward thinking and Clio seems to operate in a more defensive, retroactive manner.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Zach N.
  • Reviewed on 03/05/2018

"Easy to use practice management software with top-end functionality at low price"

Comments: Easy of keeping track of deadlines and client contacts. Overall, the best practice management software I have seen for the price. I would say this performs better than CLIO (I've used it with ALL of the add-ons), way better than AMICUS and MyCase and similar to ABACUS. They need to add a matter pre-billing function to run attorney's fees reports and allow you to copy/paste e-mails into the matter, but otherwise this is a perfect solution for most practitioners. Unless you are using the rules-based calendaring in ABACUS or Westlaw's Firm Central, I have not seen a product that is nearly as useful on the market.

Pros: Unlike a number of the cheaper practice management software programs on the market today, Practice Panther has a wide range of functions within the software which are easy to use. Instead of just having "Tasks" or "to-dos", PP allows you to create Activities which can be "Events" "E-mails" "Phone calls" or "Tasks". On the Task front, PP allows you to set sub-reminders that can send you e-mails or text messages in advance, like say "7 days before," and "3 days before," for a filing deadline. I also think it is pretty fantastic that PP shows whether a time entry has been completed for EVERY SINGLE ACTIVITY marked "completed" or "in progress". This would be incredibly useful for practitioners (mostly civil) managing staff and trying to deal with staff not accounting for all of their time in billing. The "mail sync" function is also easy to use, and allows you to e-mail out of your native software (MS Outlook, GMAIL, etc) and simply "bcc" the client matter itself. When you do this, the e-mail is automatically saved into the matter. Almost every other program out there that I have used requires you to use their client messaging portal to get the same functionality. The templates are easy to use for creating documents to merge out of PP also. Think client engagement letters, releases, and basic letterheads that you use in every file. We don't use PP for accepting payments so I cannot comment on that portion.

Cons: 1. Matter pre-bills or invoicing. In many civil cases there will be a time when you need to prepare a billing report to present to the court solely for a claim of attorney's fees. In other software that I have used, you can run a report for a set period of time or type of billing entries which will then create a printable draft invoice-looking document. You would then be able to slap an exhibit sticker on that document and use it for your attorney's fee request. I haven't found a way to easily do this in PP yet, and it seems like you would have to utilize a draft invoice which captures all time billed in the matter. I could be wrong. 2. No Batch Entry System for E-mails. PP has a GREAT syncing system that works with your native e-mail so you can BCC messages into the matter when you send or receive them. However, if you forget to include the mail-sync in your BCC line, or don't forward a message to the mail-sync, there is no easy way to subsequently get the e-mails into the matter in PP. What I mean is this: say you have a number of e-mails from someone that weren't saved into a client PP matter and instead lived in your Outlook before the client actually hired. You would have to manually forward each one of your emails to the mail-sync to get them into PP. Additionally, if you are a federal criminal lawyer and use CORRLINKS to communicate with your clients you will know that you can't forward out of that system. PP doesn't let you copy/paste emails so your stuck.

• Reviewed on 03/05/2018
Sofia M.
Sofia M.
Director & Principal Lawyer
Legal Services
  • Reviewed on 13/04/2018

"A well designed CRM and so far, we cannot be happier with the product"

Comments: Part of M Legal's mission is to stay innovative. Practice Panther (PP) as a case relationship management (CRM) tool has redesigned how the firm works overall. The user experience from the moment a client logs onto our website, uses the embedded intake form, to create a client profile to PP is seamless. This is just one of the time-saving tools we have discovered. This automated way of working and being able to integrate systems has forced M Legal to rethink how we work and more importantly, how to we can simplify our working processes. This has been a real game-changer for the business. While many of us worked with CRMs in the past, most of them were clunky and stand-alone systems that could not work with other applications or software. PP has made managing clients much easier, where our lawyers are in control from the moment a case is initiated, all the way through to billing clients. This has also given a level of transparency across the practice as lawyers can pick up any file from where the last person left off and delegate their work during absences. This transparency was a key selling point for us as we believe it is a core component of running an effective law firm.

Pros: The user experience from the moment a client logs onto our website, uses the embedded intake form, to create a client profile to PP is seamless. This is just one of the time-saving tools we have discovered. This automated way of working and being able to integrate systems has forced M Legal to rethink how we work and more importantly, how to we can simplify our working processes.
We have experienced our fair share of poor technical support teams when using other software programs. With PP, despite the time differences between Miami and Sydney, their technical support team are always available, whether it is through the chat portal, email or by phone. Each technical person is professional, knowledgeable and continues to take care of your matter until it is resolved. Further, they always have something new to teach you about the PP system on each call. I cannot express how impressed we are, with what we consider as stellar service from this tech support team.

Cons: Naturally, a product such as this is not going to have universal application across all legal fields. I would say that in the immigration space the status of a case is really important, so having a status bar that is customisable would be a feature that could be improved. Also, a lot of our data from clients are taken from in-take forms - we require intake forms that are easier to build and that have the capability of storing more information. While these are work in progress type issues, this certainly does not take away from PP's product, which we believe is a well designed and thought through CRM system.

• Reviewed on 13/04/2018
Michael M.
Managing Attorney
  • Reviewed on 06/07/2016

"Great and improving all the time!"

Comments: This is an update to a previous review I made. The folks at Panther are impressive. They've taken recommendations I and others have made and implemented them; they've quickly addressed issues I've had; and they are always courteous and responsive. The overall layout has vastly improved since my first review, and looks downright beautiful. We live by the search feature and it now works on custom fields. Custom fields can now also be listed in reports. You can now group custom fields so that you may show only those fields in a matter or contact that pertain to their specific situation. We have structured Panther so we can use it as a basic CRM...which is an immense work-flow savings for us. We asked for Dropbox integration and what they produced is perfect (considering the limitations of Dropbox). Time keeping is a snap and reachable from any screen. We asked to be able to a log call without assigning it to a matter, and they changed that so now we can. The tasking feature and its integration with the calendar is fantastic, I could not service so many clients without it. And the Panther folks have taken it on themselves to make some minor changes that have made the workflow of using the program much faster than in my previous review. I now can answer the question I posed in my earlier review of whether I love or hate Panther: We love it. I admit that it's not perfect (a couple of basic features in billing need to be addressed before I am willing to use that portion of the program), but Panther saves us many hours a week. I tried many firm management products before settling on Practice Panther, and I am glad I stayed with them. It's already better than the others, and it keeps getting better all the time thanks to their team. You cannot go wrong choosing Practice Panther. Final note: To my surprise one lawyer told me Panther seemed expensive. Really?! It seems well priced to me, and if you try to save a few dollars a month with some inferior product you will pay dearly for that choice in lost time.

Pros: Beautiful layout, easy to use, functions as a basic CRM, matter and time management, and billing program all in one.

Cons: Flat fee billing is not well thought out, and the billing module presents clients with a reckoning of my operating account as well as their trust account. (I understand Panther may have made the operating account info optional by now, or that is in their near term plan.)

• Reviewed on 06/07/2016
Tobechuku N.
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2020

"Sole Practitioner That Needed Organization"

Comments: I love it and I love all the possible intergrations.

Pros: Helps me manage my solo practice all by myself. My clients are satisfied with their client portal and ability to send me messages.

Cons: I would like to be able to make payment plan invoices for my clients, so I do not have to remind them to pay every month. Most clients would not want to set up automatic payments, so with payment plan invoices, it would help alot and relieve the burden of reminding clients every month, that a payment needs to be made.

Alternatives Considered: Clio and MyCase

Reasons for Choosing PracticePanther Legal Software: Product deleted some of my info and there was no one to help.

Switched From: Volody Case Manager

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: The many possible integrations and ease of use.

• Reviewed on 05/08/2020
Lawyer
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"Love the product but technical issues are problematic"

Comments: If you are a solo with a few clients and few files, it will work great. But as you grow, it becomes increasingly difficult to filter out the closed and unwanted files and clients.

Pros: Super simply to use. The dashboard snapshot of a case if fantastic. You can see how much is trust, the next task, etc.

Cons: I absolutely loved the software until issues began developing with how it syncs with Box. Files and documents would go missing. Every time we reached out to tech support we were told "user error." It didn't seem right. But then, after paying careful attention, we began to show it was NOT user error but the software remapping the location of various folders into places that we weren't looking. Half of the call was spent convincing tech support that it wasn't us, but them. They would then look into and find out that it was a software glitch.

by PracticePanther Legal Software on 24/12/2018

Thank you for taking the time to share this experience and your honest feedback. We have not had this issue with our Box integration with other customers, and are very sorry to hear that the support team did not resolve this in a timely and helpful manner. We strongly believe we have the best software in the market, and we strive to couple that with the best customer support in the industry. This situation definitely falls short of this, and we want to get this issue resolved for you. Please reach out to us at [email protected] with a reference to this review and any past interactions with the support team, and we will address it as soon as possible. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to improve your experience with PracticePanther in the future!

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Jonathan G.
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2018

"TOP NOTCH CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY CAN ADAPT TO MEET YOUR NEEDS!"

Pros: The customer service reps are always available (through the website/app!) and are extremely flexible as far as meeting individual requests. The software overall is very intuitive and once the basic information is inputted, training other attorneys and staff is easy. The PracticePanther reps even offered to help with training and do individualized training as necessary!
The iphone app is simple yet you can do everything on it you need to - right from court. I never have to worry about missing court dates or even reminders to review certain files or specific documents because in less than a minute I can have a task set, reminders set, and it will popup as I set it. The calendar syncs with Google Calendar and they imported all of our client contacts from Quickbooks Online, saving us many hours of data entry.
We are getting into the more advanced functions like templates, workflows, and other automation and that's really where the software shines. You create the custom fields, you choose what information is important for every matter, and you can add-on as you are creating matters. The flexibility and ease of access to everything - including client files from DropBox, which can mirror any network - is unrivaled.
Really happy we went with PracticePanther. The amount of time saved having customer care/customer service always available is invaluable. Highly recommended for law firms of all sizes.

Cons: Still working on getting the office transitioned from a paper filing and calendaring system to online. So the one suggestion I would have is to maybe have an app for the calendar that is independent from the phone app - similar to google calendar.
Also, there should be a way to turn the default settings to "Do not email assignees" when a workflow is applied. But that's a tiny suggestion. Overall no major complaints.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2018
Stephanie R.
Managing Attorney
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"Great Software but it has changed"

Comments: This is a solid piece of software for a small office. It is a workhorse and handles law offices management with ease. The fact that it is in the cloud has greatly increased our ability to go remote and mobile through this pandemic.

Pros: The organization of this software, entry systems and program itself are all easy to use and easy to train new employees on.

Cons: When I originally bought this software, this company was pretty new. They were very communicative and very helpful. Since they have grown, they have lost some of their customer service. They have recently added new things which help their bottom line but aren't as customer focuses as they once were.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: Price, ease of use and ease of install.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020
David S.
David S.
Director of Technology & Operations
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2018

"Midsize Law Firm with diverse practice areas"

Comments: Our Attorneys love being able to access case data and records from anywhere, and I have been very happy with the development pipeline. The Panther team has been adding request features regularly since we began our migration over a year ago. They're based out of Miami, which was also a big selling point for our firm since we are located in Southwest Florida. Their support staff is incredibly responsive, even an issue requires escalation.

Pros: Our team has a number of favorite features, being able to access Box via the Panther Mobile app is a big one, and being able to shoot text reminders to clients about appointments and deadlines is another favorite, but how much time Panther has shaved off of our billing cycle is definitely the top. Using Panther, we have cut in half the time it takes to review and approve pre-bills, invoice the client, and get paid.

Cons: Being a larger firm and having migrated case management software several times already made the transition and adoption challenging. Practice Panther allows for very easy import and export of information as csv files, which is great for producing your own reports, but created a lot of front end work massaging data from the previous system in order to import into Panther. As of Summer 2018, the QuickBooks integration is a little basic and still needs some work.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2018
Martin M.
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2017

"Perfect for my needs"

Comments: I have been using PracticePanther for my small law firm for a little over a year now. It has proven to be extremely valuable and has made my practice more productive. I have been able automate a variety of functions that I use every day to be more productive and expand my business. The software is extremely easy to customize and set up for my practice. Billing, intake forms, templates, workflows, calendar management and client relationship management, cloud storage, client portals with secure messaging are all integrated into the software. No hidden costs. Everything is included and no upcharges. Support is very responsive with several ways to contact them right within the program. They are also very responsive to suggestions and they have quickly integrated requested features. While I am not sure how many people work at PracticePanther, I imagine there a lot. However, I feel like I get the support of a local business and that my business matters.

Pros: I like just about everything about this software and have put most of my likes in my review.

Cons: It is hard to find a least like in this software, and if there ever is it get addressed and fixed. For example I had difficulty setting up my invoices but after contact with their support and granting them temporary access it was fixed in minutes

• Reviewed on 30/03/2017
Katelyn P.
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2021

"Mack & Associates"

Pros: The software is very user friendly, the simplified billing process makes things easy to use.

Cons: Integration and flowing into Quickbooks has given some issues. A better concept and/or training on the syncing would be helpful.

Alternatives Considered: Cleo

Reasons for Choosing PracticePanther Legal Software: Ease of use and client portal

Switched From: PCLaw

• Reviewed on 18/08/2021
Thomas T.
Client Services Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2018

"Effective and Deeply Integrated Legal Software"

Comments: Overall whenever I had an issue or problem their chat window in the bottom right allows you to communicate directly with support. Support does it's best to get you the answer and if it is a very important loss of function it is escalated quickly and effectively.

Pros: Reviewing each area that we dealt with might be the best way to create a picture of PracticePanther. I have provided a short review of each below: The sales team addressed any and all concerns effectively and went deep into any concerns we had. The data migration team did their best to work back and forth with us to try and make sure the data wasn't input incorrectly. Their training team provided excellent training for our employees and still continues to do so. The support lower tier and higher tiers addressed any issues our team has had very quickly. Personally I enjoyed the ability to pull down literally any data search into excel and run analytics on them. It provides a robust way to look at the data and a transparent way to export whatever you may need.

Cons: They have a time frame to transfer all of your data into their system from older systems. If you went outside of this time and missed some things about data quality you could possibly get charged for it. If you are importing a lot of data I would suggest you make sure you have a clear picture of what you want and make sure they understand your expectations as well. Possibly have some longer detailed phone calls with their import team. The outlook calendar import is a bit tricky too, as you need a .csv to import and not just a 365 login.

• Reviewed on 09/08/2018
Michele T.
Managing Partner
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2019

"Practice Panther is a game changer!"

Comments: Awesome - real increase in productivity, reduction in costs and excellent overall ease of use for firm and clients.

Pros: My firm used PCLaw for nearly 20 years and grew so exasperated with it that we began searching for something new. I contacted several companies to explore software options. From my first contact with Practice Panther, they were far superior to every other company and its software is, too. The web-based platform makes for easy use away from the office and on mobile devices. It's so user friendly that no one required any training. The client portal allows clients to track their invoices and payments, which eliminates lots of wasted time on the customer service end of things. Can't say enough good things!

Cons: The only knock is some of the terminology doesn't make sense. All receipts are called "retainers" and write downs are called "credit notes" and display like payments. The integration with Quickbooks is good, but it is not an accounting software package so some of the reports are a little light with information. That said, I relay my concerns to Practice Panther support and they work on solutions.

• Reviewed on 17/07/2019
Damien A.
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2020

"Great Software"

Comments: Happy with my choice, and will continue to grow my practice with them.

Pros: Offers the integration and ease of use needed for a small business, all of the essentials for streamlining tasks so that duplication of efforts is minimized. Also, receptive staff that implements users input and suggestions in timely and effective manner.

Cons: Integration to Business accounts is needed. Stronger partnership with quick-books may aid in that.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: Cost, ease of use, and the fact that it is a newer product that has all the integrations built in so not trying to catch up and merge archaic systems.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2020
Dawn M.
Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2021

"A step in the right direction"

Comments: The transition was smoother than with other software.

Pros: It was a breath of fresh to use a legal software that modeled a Windows environment and something dos-based. The customer support is superior and the company is constantly improving the product based on customer feedback.

Cons: We lost some financial reporting capabilities switching from ProLaw to Panther. I would like to see that area, along with the integration with Word, be improved upon.

• Reviewed on 08/05/2021
Temperance H.
Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2021

"Essential for a Law Office"

Pros: It's very easy to use. They provide videos that address many topics. If you have any questions, they have a chat feature that provides quick answers and live help.

Cons: I don't like scrolling through the list of clients.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: Ease of use. Web-based.

• Reviewed on 14/07/2021
Cassandra B.
Legal Assistant
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2020

"Love It"

Pros: Payments and A/R's are easy to keep track of. It is right on your dashboard as soon as you sign in and it is so simple to keep track of.

Cons: Nothing really that I can think of that I "dislike" about this software. I find it extremely user friendly and easy to get the hang of.

Alternatives Considered: CosmoLex

Reasons for Choosing PracticePanther Legal Software: Started a new Law Firm with my boss and I was in charge of picking "whatever I wanted" so I decided to try something new and so happy that I did!

• Reviewed on 12/11/2020
Jenna A.
Office Manager, Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2017

"Easily tied our two offices together."

Comments: Has allowed our two offices to start working together seamlessly, with fewer emails back and forth and duplicated work. Can more easily manage the workflow of support staff regardless of which office they work in. Attorneys can now access all their work from court or wherever they happen to be.

Pros: Love that it's cloud based and has almost no learning curve. If you have basic internet navigation skills, you can master Practice Panther in no time.

Cons: Would prefer for "contacts" and "clients" to be two separate things, and would prefer to have contacts entered in custom fields on the matter page automatically added to that matter's relationships. Would love to see added functionality of being able to generate mailing lists/proofs of service from the relationships tab.

by PracticePanther Legal Software on 16/11/2017

Thank you so much Jenna, we definitely focus on making it as easy as possible to get started the same day you sign up! We actually have a great way to separate contacts and clients using tags. We will email you now with the solution, thanks again!

• Reviewed on 15/11/2017
Emily H.
Associate Attorney
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2021

"User friendly software"

Comments: Learning some of the integrations has helped me reduce redundancies and save time. The more time I have to commit to my clients, the more clients I can bring on.

Pros: This is the first software system that I have used to track time, and I was a bit nervous at first to track time effectively. Practice Panther made the transition into tracking billable hours very easy, with options for adding in multiple entries at once, maintaining multiple timers, and keeping personal notes within the time entry that can then be exported to an excel sheet.

Cons: When adding multiple time entries, I would like to still have the option to input a private note. I also have not learned about all of the integrations that are available, and would like to see a resource center where I could watch videos or review instructions for setting up integrations with other software.

• Reviewed on 16/07/2021
Kristen M.
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2017

"The software is incredibly user friendly and the customer service is top notch"

Comments: I can run an entire law practice with this software and I don't even have to use Quickbooks!

Pros: The ease of creating client and matter files and the billing. Everything is very intuitive and user friendly. If you have any tiny difficulty with something, the videos are very quick and easy to follow. Plus, the customer service is excellent because you get a human being immediately.

Cons: Really nothing--other than it costs money. But the monthly subscription (or annual subscription) is incredibly reasonable for what you get between the software and the customer service.

• Reviewed on 08/09/2017
Geoffrey L.
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2017

"Truly a Top Tier Practice Management Solution"

Comments: I opened my own solo law practice recently. In preparation for that I spent a considerable amount of time testing different practice management products. I went through about 8 different products before settling on Practice Panther. It does everything I wanted and it looks really nice while doing it. It absolutely stacked up against the most well-known players in the game and exceeded them in some respects. For example, adding billed time is so easy in Practice Panther and can be done from anywhere. Some other practice management solutions didn't let you turn any task or activity into a billed entry. I'm still learning how to maximize the software for my practice, but I would highly recommend giving it a try if you are looking. It's a great team with incredible customer service. It is 100% as good as any other practice management software on the market. I was pleasantly surprised.

Pros: Easy to Use, Tons of Features, Easy Billing and Invoicing, Great Trust Accounting, It looks really nice

Cons: It doesn't connect to as many third-party apps as other options. For example, for storage you are limited to Box and DropBox, but can't use Google Drive.

by PracticePanther Legal Software on 28/03/2017

Thank you so much Geoffrey! We're definitely working on more document management integrations in the near future.

• Reviewed on 28/03/2017
Jenna R.
Legal Assistant
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"A great tool to increase productivity and ease for attorneys and clients"

Comments: Overall, this is way better than our former program and I hope they will continue to improve.

Pros: I like some of the features this program has built in such as billing for hourly rates, and ability to download/send invoices right from the software.

Cons: It has A LOT of strange glitches that seem to still need work. It freezes occasionally, and I can never get the side bar timer to work. I have also had issues with generating invoices depending on how you put the payments in the client file. (PP says this is normal, BUT it is incredibly NON user friendly.) There seems to be more interest in trying to justify their flaws, than to fix them- which is frustrating. This software is also spendy.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Richard H.
Managing Partner
  • Reviewed on 01/07/2020

"Love Practice Panther"

Comments: I cannot recommend the software more highly.

Pros: Very easy to learn and to use. Most features are simple to master.

Cons: Sometimes hard to talk to a live person. Usually referred to an online tutorial. These are always helpful. Hence, overall, this has not been a problem. I have confidence that if I needed live support, it would be available.

• Reviewed on 01/07/2020
Markus K.
Partner
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2018

"Our best software so far!"

Comments: Easier time tracking + invoicing so far, hope to implement more soon (clients tasks and automisation)

Pros: Ease of use combined with a pack of features. Its also possible to start with a minimum setup (like time entries and invoicing) only and then work your way up through all the features. Lots of tutorial videos that are 100% helpful and short/efficient.

Cons: Timezone warning when travelling can't be disabled yet. A minor inconvenience, as it only shows on the startpage/dashboard.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2018
Valerie P.
Billing Coordinatior
  • Reviewed on 08/07/2021

"User Friendly"

Pros: The system is very intuitive and user friendly. I appreciate how easy it is to navigate and figure out new processes.

Cons: I get frustrated by the lack of some features -- batch download of documents, sorting / searching by specific fields, lack of monthly visual calendar for time entries.

• Reviewed on 08/07/2021