15 years helping British businesses

About Caspio

Caspio is the world's leading LOW-CODE platform for building online database applications without having to write code.

Learn more about Caspio

Pros:

I wanted to build something web database but I am not equipped with solid computer skills, and Caspio really saved me a lot of time and effort to get what I wanted.

Cons:

There is a bit of a learning curve if you are unfamiliar with database software. In the beginning I had trouble integrating it into my WordPress website and making it mobile compatible.

Caspio ratings

4.3
4.4
4.4
4.3

8.4/10

Caspio has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 213 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Caspio before?

Daniel
Daniel
Marketing & Comms Team Leader in New Zealand
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

High Feature Low-Code SAS

Comments: After trialing a large number of low-code software, this option was a clear winner due to the customizability of apps and compatibility with wordpress.

Pros:

Fully featured software. Rock-solid infrastructure. There is few things that we have found can't be done with capsio. Any additional features can be custom developed. Unlimited users, unlimited tables. Dataviews can be purchased cheaply. Specialists also provide very helpful 24/7 live chat support.

Cons:

Storing 10,000+ of photos inside the apps can become a bit expensive.

Insurance, 10,000+ Employees

Easy App Deployment; Very low code; Lots of functions

Comments: Overall Caspio is an inexpensive way to publish your apps. If you have an idea but don't have enough coding experience, or if your team is small, this is an excellent service. If you are an advance web developer or if you need an app that does some advanced operations, this servive will not fit your needs.

Pros:

Caspio is an excellent app deployment tool. Period. We had the "mid tier" level, so base your expectation accordingly. Caspio hosts your databases, your user authentication, your web deployments, and hosts all your actions. It's very low code involvement, so if you have an idea for an app, you get it up and running in 15 minutes. Their customer support is quite helpful and they will back to you, but again, we did have a mid-tier plan.

Cons:

While low code involvement is good for quick deployment, it's limitation is lack of flexibility on your own customization. While Caspio let's you customize some of the "look and feel" of your app, advanced operations/visuals are not easy to do and when you can do them, they are clunky.

Craig
US

Great potential, but stay away if you're not an enterprise client

Pros:

- Basic database builder tools have more built-in options than similar software, so it's easier and faster to build more complex setups - If you don't know code, the interface and logic is very close to MS Excel, so the learning curve isn't too bad - Easy to embed and publish applications - Has an unlimited app user model (though not administrators), which is superior to other database app builders that limit user capabilities and charge based on users. This is ideal for customer-facing applications where users need to be able to more advanced functions outside of simply viewing. - Offer a free plan that is fairly well featured, though would only be useful for internal or personal apps

Cons:

- Pricing structure is highly frustrating for a small business user or team. Basic paid plans have no access to APIs, Zapier, or automation/importing, which is high for the base plan compared to similar apps. To get those features, the next level jumps over 4x higher. - "Datapages" allotted for each plan (which is the foundation of the app) are misleading since similar competitors use an allowed number of "apps". Some basic applications in Caspio need 10-20 data pages, but the basic plan only allows 5. Ultimately a large amount of time was spent figuring out how to cut out pages and combine features, killing user experience. - Had a bad experience with customer support (sales) when I accidentally deleted an entire table. Was informed that as a basic/free trial user they would have to charge me to get the table back, even though it existed. And days saved was only a few, so had to quickly decide. They were not sympathetic to my plight even as I was in the evaluation stage. - If you're a major enterprise with a large budget and some programmers, Caspio may be an ideal solution. If you're a small business, be very careful when evaluating and I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The subscription models and definitions are confusing and you may find yourself with an app built during the free trial and realizing you can't possibly afford to launch it.

Eric
Director in US
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Caspio - create powerful web applications with little to no coding.

Comments: We collect data from a variety of customers and generate benchmarking analysis. We used Caspio to not only collect the data and manage the data process, but also have created a management backend to control our internal processed to create custom reports. The workflow capability automates a lot of work for us which has improved our productivity (for example, automatically sending status reports for review).

Pros:

If you have a group of Access gurus, you can master Caspio. The applications allows you to take your database applications online very easily, but also provides a high degree of customization (using JavaScript, CSS, and HTML) to build full applications. We replaced manual, inefficient processes with online workflow-enabled applications in very little time.

Cons:

There are very few features that I do NOT like. This is just a great application and we have used it to automate our remote processes, collecting data online and the management portals to run our business.

3 years ago

Hi Eric! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We're happy to hear that you've significantly improved your productivity with Caspio. If you have any features you want us to include in the next releases, feel free to add it to our Ideabox: https://casp.io/3rd0tmK

Karen
Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Caspio is a robust, affordable option for organizations without in-house IT!

Comments: A software developer for over 20 years, I help small to medium-sized organizations, mostly nonprofits, find affordable software that supports their business processes. I found Caspio when I was searching the marketplace for a low-code platform that could be used to build a type of software that does not exist in the marketplace and it allowed an organization to build their dream application in a matter of months....custom software at an off-the-shelf price! I have been impressed with all the options available as well as the excellent online documentation and customer service of the Caspio support team.

Pros:

I think Caspio is incredibly easy to learn and use and it allows non-technical professionals to quickly establish a data-centric web-based application without needing to know Python, Java, or another programming language. I have been a software developer for 20 years, so for me the tool takes even less time -- and functions like triggered notifications and tasks allow me to add "behind-the-scenes magic" so one process can trigger dependent processes in a seamless way. I also love the support team's helpful and responsive attitude.

Cons:

Truly my only complaint is not a bad thing, just a choice -- I wish I did not have to wrap all the Caspio code in separate HTML, mostly b/c I do not think it is as easy to teach to non-technical people. Most of the organizations I work with need help getting everything set up and launched but then can largely be trained to maintain and extend their Caspio app...and while HTML and CSS are not complicated, they are not as predictably explainable as the tables and datapage interfaces.

President in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Caspio for the win!!!

Comments: My overall experience with Caspio has been very good. I'd highly recommend Caspio to anyone who is looking to create powerful, customizable web and mobile applications.

Pros:

Excellent feature set.By far and away the best technical support of any company I work with, always responsive and helpful.Great training and reference resources.Extremely customizable, limited mainly by CSS, HTML, and JavaScript.Less expensive than many other no code/low code platforms.They actually even offer a limited free tier, which has been great for me to help non-profits keep costs low for certain smaller projects.They keep adding new functionality.

Cons:

At first the interface took a little getting used to, but now I find that I miss it when working with other platforms. I also didn't understand the datapage concept at first but now that I get it I actually kind of like it.

11 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We're thrilled you enjoy our features, support and training. Your feedback helps us improve. Delighted to have you on board!

Quinn
Customer Support in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2–10 Employees

Grows with you

Comments: I would say that one of the best things about working with Caspio is the drag and drop builder as well as their support staff.

Pros:

Our company was looking for software that would enable us to launch clean, professional looking website features quickly. Caspio offers a fairly simple used interface that allow rapid development of new ideas and their features are well rounded. They have some of the best support staff around.

Cons:

Some of the features we need are only offered on costly plans.

Mark
Founder in UK
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Caspio - Partners for The Long Term

Comments: I've now been using Caspio for over 12years and have to say that, as a company, they've matured over that time. Customer support is definitely above average.

Pros:

Speed of project development from idea to deployment is, for me, the number one attraction as a Caspio developer. You can try things out for real very quickly and ask clients for their thoughts/opinions as you go along. Caspio's low-code platform makes it possible for someone to provide robust, mission critical data-driven systems without having a background in coding.

Cons:

I have very few issues with using Caspio and any that I have are either minor - or get resolved quickly.

Trenton
Manufacturing Director in US
Machinery, 201–500 Employees

Customized Data Reports

Comments: We were able to work with the project management team to build a productivity, waste, and uptime reporting tool that streamlined our process and cut many labor hours out of each week.

Pros:

The software is web based, so you can reach it anywhere.

Cons:

If internet is down, the software is not usable.

Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great out of the box, with options for advanced applications

Comments: We are converting a manual workflow for a team (with variations depending on individuals) into a stream-lined online application, with consistent data, access control and automatic email alerts for all parties involved. This will allow the team to spend more time on other issues.

Pros:

One can create an on-line survey within a few days. Online support (via chat, email or phone) always tries to find a solution for you, and is also honest in stating when your ideas cannot be achieved. There is also a great user forum.

Cons:

For a more complex workflow and for refinements in display of data, one has to learn/know about SQL and Javascript

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Definitely not "no-code", but still low-code and very powerful

Comments: I felt very empowered with Caspio, but kept running into walls. I don't know Javascript or HTML so anything code-related that wasn't laid out exactly within a tutorial was frustrating to tackle. I also struggled to build out a front-end that looked good and tied to the datapages I was building, and the templates Caspio provided me still required that I knew web development to get running, and I did not know how to customize them. I did appreciate that pages could be easily embedded within Wordpress or other website builders. If I knew how to code, I would definitely use Caspio though. It gets thing up and running sooo fast. Using as a base for the backend is a great idea as it is 100% customizable. In that case I would totally recommend.

Pros:

It is 100% customizable, and there are tutorials for just about everything. The community forums are also active, with Caspio support actively participating. Professional Services seemed very capable and able to do just about anything for you if you needed it.

Cons:

For just about everything I wanted to do there was some need for a "custom" solution, and I was heavily dependent on my account manager who was always ready to refer me to Professional Services for even simple integrations.

5 years ago

Thank you for the valuable feedback. While many complex applications can be fully developed using Caspio's point-and-click and drag-and-drop tools, the ability to extend the platform via industry standard languages such as JavaScript, HTML, CSS and SQL opens up additional capabilities to innovate and build something truly unique. Thank you again for your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it on to our team internally.

Oliver
Head of Product Development in Denmark
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

More than meets the eye

Comments: Caspio has more than made our flagship application possible for us without having a team of programmers. It has widely extended the possibilities of the application and helped inspire features and the overall scope of what our application is and can become. After years of working with Caspio, I have learned to use the platform to much of its potential, and yet I still haven't found the limits to what it can do. The platform specialists are very skilled, and with expert sessions available, you can accomplish things on Caspio way beyond what it appears to offer. It is, indeed, much more than meets the eye.

Pros:

While Caspio is a low code platform enabling fast development of very high quality apps, it does not stop there. What has been important to me, is that the platform is virtually unlimited in potential. The versatility and quality of this platform makes it the perfect choice even for high complexity applications.

Cons:

Simple apps may be developed very swiftly, while maintaining high levels of security and quality. More complex apps require more capacity and in depth development. While this is a low code platform, it does not prevent the use of code, and with it, the possibilities seem limitless. And it still has all the benefits of not having to code from scratch, ease of use, high security, etc.

Gordon
Director of Research in US
Higher Education, 51–200 Employees

Extremely Useful Resource

Comments: We use Caspio to help distribute data, to inform stakeholders, to allow users to narrow results and answer their questions, and to hopefully allow for a stronger understanding of what we do (our business plan) and how we do that (our business model). Ultimately, as a public research university's academic program, we need to provide transparency and accountability.

Pros:

Ease of use, ability to develop skills within and while using the software. Online tutorials (including YouTube videos/projects) are very helpful.

Cons:

Some of the definitions for associations between fields (e.g., cascading listbox...) can at first leave a new user uncertain about how the form or data-page will function.

System Analyst in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great alternative to traditional applications

Comments: I was able to take 22 tables from a legacy, standalone application, export them from MSSQL into Excel and import them to Caspio. After some of that learning curve, and some instructionals from Caspio, I finally worked out and connected all the tables so they could be queried for reporting. Building the datapages after that, I could do simple things on my own but it became clear to me that I would need their professional services to build my application (in 4-7 weeks compared to 8 months if I were trying it on my own). If I knew the interface better, I might not need their services but time is a factor in my decision.

Pros:

The low-code approach frees you from having to learn any programming language and rely upon it. It is flexible enough to allow you to build literally any kind of application you want from simple to complex, which is powerful and liberating. No more dealing with filthy vendors!!! Their support, even on the free tier, is outstanding. There is also a TON of information and instructionals available on the web. They seem to want you to be successful, and go the extra mile to help you be successful.

Cons:

There is a steep learning curve, BUT the peak is not high and it won't be long before you are comfortable and moving along building things at a good clip. I'm also not fond of a cloud-only solution as it is our data and we should be able to replicate/backup the data to local servers directly. It looks like this is possible with the API, however that's only available in the most expensive tier. You really have to have a good understanding of your business process and the SDLC to avoid making time-consuming mistakes.

Greg
CEO in US
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

The Best Cloud Database Application in the Market!

Comments: I have been an extremely satisfied Caspio customer for over 12+ years. I have built hundreds of apps using their cloud database platform and they have allowed my company to quickly and effortlessly deploy applications in a timely fashion. In my opinion, there is no better cloud database product in the marketplace. Caspio is simply the best!

Pros:

- Ease of Deployment - Low Code Environment - No Hardware to Maintain - Zapier Integration - The product continues to evolve.

Cons:

- Looking forward to more advanced Zapier integrations such as the ability to search for a record in the database. - Scheduled reports via email would be a welcome enhancement

Spencer
Developer in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Good... but very basic.

Comments: Like driving a forklift down the highway. 'This would be fantastic for something completely different.' What it would be fantastic for is a web based alternative to Microsoft Access. What I tried to use it for was creating a commercial subscription web-app.

Pros:

Caspio is great for applications meant to be used internally in an organization to help manage operations. Its similarity with Microsoft Access makes it familiar and its compliance with security standards make it ideal for managing customers and patients without the hassle of maintaining your own IT. I like the support.

Cons:

It's easy to do basic database stuff like forms and reports, and nearly impossible to do anything else. The lack of design tools is really frustrating. You can use their templates, but you can't make your own. Don't expect to build a site with a custom UX.

2 years ago

Hi Spencer! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're sorry you didn't have the best experience. Caspio prides itself on providing superior application development expertise and outstanding customer service and support. Your feedback has been shared internally to help strengthen our future engagements. We value your opinion and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Principal in US
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Easy-to-use no-code at a tremendous value

Comments: The team at Caspio have been extremely helpful, from the initial sales representative to the success manager, to the tech support and trainer. I have found them to be very knowledgeable, responsive, and easy to work with. When I discovered that some of my requirements did require some coding knowledge, I was able to obtain support from Caspio for a nominal fee.

Pros:

The best aspect was the relatively simple nature of learning to use it and then building an app - as a person that does not code! The process of structuring the database, uploading the initial data, then maintaining it, has been very easy.

Cons:

There are very few cons. I did discover - as a non-coder - that there is some coding necessary when it comes to formatting of reports. It is not absolutely necessary but to truly finetune formats (fonts, colors, placement) one ultimately is aided by knowing to code. Fortunately, this embodied only about 5% of the development.

2 years ago

Hi John! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're glad you're having fun with Caspio.

Theodore
Senior Operations Manager in Canada
Logistics & Supply Chain, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Caspio for Logistics

Comments: I have found that the team at Caspio and the application builder itself are rock solid. Extremely reliable, willing to help with the very small issues that have come up. I could not ask to work with a better organization.

Pros:

It is so quick and easy to build data entry forms, surveys and reporting. Many of the applications I use take less than an hour to build from completion of planning to putting in use by our team at the warehouse.

Cons:

There are little things that you need some programming help with, like column justification in reports or adding colors, but they are minor and the support is out there to help the "non-programmer" get the job done.

Anthony
Anthony
IT Support in Netherlands
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Great product, expensive for what you can do.

Comments: Great database, you can make almost anything you want.

Pros:

-It works great -Easy to learn, takes maybe 2 weeks to learn, it's not as easy as using email but you can build very great stuff with it. -You can almost do whatever you can think of.

Cons:

With basic version, which you can do almost nothing with, 5 data pages not much, you can maybe build one useful thing or two. -ONLY 500 MB, used it in first week trying to learn how to work with all the 5 datapages. -Went over with 250 MB charged another amount. Really expensive. -If you have a small company I would NOT recommend caspio, if you have a bigger company and can pay for monthly that would be great, maybe then you can outsource to a company in India also -Basic NO unlimited support, 5 cases (which would be oke if you got more datapages and MB). -Support is difficult because you have to explain with chatting what the problem is, try that with a database, it's just really difficult, yes you can give them permission to access your database and help you out but they don't really do it. Yes, they have a free option for 3 datapages and 250 mb which you really can't do much, in 3 days just by logging in you would have used it up). I think caspio is great but the pricing hinders them from becoming the most used online database. I do hope they lower the price in the future or just fix their pricing structure each time we have to pay it just sucks the joy out of the database. We don't mind paying but the value and the price are not in sync. I did not find a better option yet for databases, but will probably be designing our own.

Keith
Systems Developer in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

They care about money - not customers.

Comments: I wish we never started with Caspio. Outdated calendars, charts, other data pages. App Extensions are a pay wall for features that should be standard. No data usage reports, unless you pay. They advertise no code, but show pages and charts on their blogs with custom coding.

Pros:

It is easy for basic forms and database management. Things like quick contact forms and newsletter sign ups would be ideal. Anything somewhat complex will definitely require custom coding.

Cons:

A lot of promises that are rarely delivered. This is not a no code platform. You need to have a real developer on the team if you want to produce good applications. The Sales and Accounting is sketchy, the Account Success Managers are sketchy... the best part is the live support. Everything else is below par. They do not update their standard features and they increase prices all the time.

Jane
Implementation Director in US
Computer Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Excellent solution for our internal operations needs

Comments: Overall, Caspio has been our solution for all of our internal operations: calendars, utilization tracking and reporting, expertise tracking, forecasting and so much more. In the 2 years we have been live on our new program, we've completely changed the way we can track and report. It has been a real game changer for us.

Pros:

I like that we can completely design our system and make enhancements or fixes on our timeline. We aren't tied to a third party developer so we don't have to pay for or wait for new features. We just build them ourselves to completely suit our needs!

Cons:

There are some features that would make it even better than it is, such as ODBC integration with Excel (Office 365) and Outlook integration. API's may help with this, but as a non-programmer, that may be a bit above my skillset.

İbrahim
Mobile Application Developer in France
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Caspio Review

Pros:

Form entry screens allow you to create reports and applications without programming. You can quickly bring your ideas to life. Like Quickbase, it has a database-based approach. Unlike Quickbase, we can create different form login screens. It offers more flexible features for creating reports, forms and graphs.

Cons:

Because it is not model-based, it may not be suitable for your business if you have complex business rules. But other than that, it will see you more than enough for all your needs.

last year

Thank you for your positive feedback on our flexible features for creating reports, forms and graphs. We are constantly improving our product with each release to ensure it meets the diverse needs of our users. Your feedback plays a vital role in this process. For any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our dedicated support team.

Tzofit
Vice President, Information Center/Archives in US
Publishing, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Caspio for Mid-Sized Businesses

Comments: I really love Caspio, The Customer Service is wonderful, it is an easy application to get up to speed on and provides so much benefit. There are so many ways you can use Caspio to implement projects -- the ideas are endless.

Pros:

I love that I can use Caspio to create and develop my own applications, forms, and data dashboards with no IT involvement. It helps me get projects completed and out to employees. Most importantly, it helps me get my job done!

Cons:

I wish the data entry backend was a little more flexible and easier to use (i.e., moving columns around, going from field to field, ability duplicate data, etc.)

2 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Tzofit! This made our day.

Renewables & Environment, 2–10 Employees

Do NOT purchase unless you’re absolutely sure it’s right for your needs

Comments: I started using Caspio because it was advertised as easy to use by non developers. So I began trying to build my multi-select search form, and as a pretty tech savvy person, I wasn’t at all able to get the interface to do what I needed. So I hired a developer to finish it. Fast forward 4 months as I’ve been paying $150 monthly to build the app and my developer tells me Caspio just doesn’t have the functionality to build the multi-select form the way I need. So I contact customer support to let them know I can’t get what I need from their software. They tell me I can’t cancel before the year is up and demand that I either pay the remaining monthly fee for the year ($1200) or pay $15 a month for a maximum of 3 months to suspend the service, and then pay the remaining $150 monthly fee for the remainder of the year. This is an extremely predatory subscription practice! I couldn’t use the product as advertised and they’re entitled to a years worth of subscription fees regardless or whether I can even use it??

Pros:

There was nothing I liked about this software.

Cons:

Wasn’t able to creat a multi-select form with queries carried over into the next search. Is not usable by a non developer. Interface is clunky and looks outdated.

last year

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are committed to maintaining transparency in our pricing and continuously improving our software based on valuable user feedback. We appreciate your input and will carefully review your case. If you require any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team.

William
IT Support in US
Human Resources, 2–10 Employees

Great software for a company supporting remote work

Pros:

We converted our custom Visual Basic & SQL database system when we made the determination 5 years ago to stop renting office space and have everyone work from home. Caspio allowed us to replicate that legacy system and totally get rid of our servers required to support that system. Currently, we have no infrastructure for any IT services, it is all "cloud" based.

Cons:

We did lose some of the functionality we enjoyed with Visual Basic. However, after figuring out as many work arounds as possible, we do not miss that functionality anymore.