Filter by:

• Overall

About Paymo

Paymo is a full-featured project management solution dedicated to small businesses and remote teams to help them get their job done.

Learn more about Paymo

Leticia M.
Leticia M.
Co-founder and Creative Director
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/06/2020

"Our main tool to run the business"

Comments: We have been working with Paymo for more than 5 years now and over the years we've seen constant improvement with new features. It's a rich feature tool for a low price and it suits our company as no other does, not only in what they offer but in an intuitive and easy-to-use tool. The timer, invoices using the timesheet, team scheduling, sending estimates, all those make the difference in our business and has help us to save and make money.

Pros: The timer is the best feature of Paymo. We search a lot but none of the other tools allows us to easy time our work and bill our clients as Paymo, with an always-visible timer. And the ability to bill our clients with the timesheet completes our process perfectly.

Cons: It's lacking a client portal, where they have all information about their project and invoices

Alternatives Considered: Harvest, Invoicera, Invoice Ninja and Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Paymo: The always-visible timer and invoicing with timesheet abilities.

by Paymo on 18/06/2020

Time tracking FTW, Leticia - thank you :)

I think there's a misunderstanding. The current client portal allows clients to view their invoices. Just be sure to add them as contacts too: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/900000-how-do-i-add-a-contact-to-a-client

They can't see the project progress, something that is going to be fixed with the next release of the client portal. That will grant guest users in-app access.

This is our #1 priority right now, so stay tuned!

Kind regards,

• Reviewed on 16/06/2020
Ayman S.
Ayman S.
Sr. Planning Engineer
Construction, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2021

"Utilizing paymo Now is a great time to track your projects."

Comments: Simplify the project follow-up and control process as much as possible. All members of the work team now have the opportunity to do so, because by assigning priority to each member of the team, all project priorities will be determined in the end, and following them will be a simple process that does not demand considerable effort.

Pros: Paymo streamlines the process of tracking multiple projects at once, allowing for effective and efficient project monitoring and follow-up on multiple activities in a professional manner, where you can easily find all required tasks, as well as all data and information pertaining to any of your projects. One of the leading ideas in project management is the participation principle, in which all members of the work team and stakeholders are partners in the follow-up and control of tasks, each according to his or her specialization, saving time and effort and resulting in humiliating results in the end. The program's archiving capability for all project data is unique, and it aids in the storage and retrieval of all data at any moment. Financial claims, completion rates, delayed activities, and risk analysis are among the reports you'll receive based on the information you submit. Finally, one of the most essential ways to improve the project team's performance is to save time and effort. Reducing office work time allows the project team to focus more on fieldwork, resulting in the project being completed on time, on budget, and to the appropriate quality standards.

Cons: Overall, I don't think there's anything I don't like about the application; it's easy to use and understand for all members of the team, and it applies novel display strategies.

by Paymo on 23/08/2021

Hi Ayman,

Thank you for the kind words, although we don't have any risk analysis reports :D

• Reviewed on 07/08/2021
Neal B.
Neal B.
King of All Cosmos
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2020

"Paymo has grown, evolved, and expanded alongside of the needs of our business."

Comments: Seriously, everything! I mentioned time tracking earlier but Paymo also does project management, client management, invoicing, estimation, Zapier integration, scheduling, team tasking...and the list goes on and on.

Pros: Time tracking is seamlessly integrated into our current designer workflow. This allows us to calculate the actual time spent on the job so clients understand where their money is being spent. It also allows us to identify where we need to increase project costs (9/10 times it's with 'customer correspondence').

Cons: We've been with Paymo for over 10 years so it was a bit of a kick when they started charging for functionality like Gant Charts. We've always loved the complete 'soup-to-nuts' service that Paymo offered so when certain items were put behind another paywall it definitely stung a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alternatives Considered: Basecamp, Asana, Trello and AND. CO

Reasons for Choosing Paymo: As we expanded our business to include larger, quick-turn clients, we needed a better way to track time spent on projects. We found Paymo and started to implement time tracking and project management. It wasn't long before we were using it for estimating, invoicing, and reporting payroll. Almost a decade later, the platform continues to amaze us with updates and support that we never would have received from other services. We've even had folks join our team from Nike/adidas that say Paymo is something they wish they had at their previous jobs.

Reasons for Switching to Paymo: It comes down to 'bread and butter' of time tracking and project management. We've since added Slack and Trello to our ranks, but have never found a better, more cost-effective way of managing our day-to-day operations than Paymo.

by Paymo on 25/06/2020

Loved the "(9/10 times it's with customer correspondence)" part, Neal :)

Besides Gantt Charts, the Business plan also comes with a Team Scheduling module, 100 GB of storage, and priority support.

We found this plan to be more appealing to larger teams, that's why we've decided to include it in a separate plan.

What specifically do you need from Gantt Charts, the ability to set dependencies or see task deadlines on a calendar?

If it's the latter one, then I have some good news: we're going to launch a task calendar view in the near future, so stay tuned!

• Reviewed on 25/06/2020
Paloma ana D.
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2021

"Solid Skillpoints with room for improvement"

Comments: Our to-go- solution for anything client-related, book-keeping-wise.

Pros: Absolutely perfect for invoicing clients and keeping track of recurring costs with features as its clients POV.

Cons: Project management tools + how limited customisation on the dashboard is.

by Paymo on 30/03/2021

Happy to hear your thoughts :D

You're right about the dashboard, it's more geared towards billing & company rentability given our time tracking & invoicing focus.

Can you give me more details about what's missing on the project mngm end?

• Reviewed on 24/03/2021
Andrew C.
UX Writer
Defense & Space, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/03/2021

"Exceptional project management, time tracking and invoicing for freelancers"

Comments: I use Paymo for freelancing as a single user and it's awesome for time tracking, task management and invoicing purposes. It's priced well and has a great support team.

Pros: This is the only tool that I've found that focuses on time tracking AND invoicing properly. It includes great task management features and multiple ways to track time on them.

Cons: I guess I wish that Paymo's Kanban view was more like Trello, which I find easier to use and with more features for customisability.

by Paymo on 30/03/2021

Kudos Andrew!! ^^

Can you tell me more about the customizable Kanban features that you're missing?

• Reviewed on 22/03/2021
Software Developer
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2019

"Awesome issue management software with good time tracking"

Comments: I would recommend this service to every middle sized company, which is looking for a good solid isseu tracking software.

Pros: The time tracking and the desktop app for tracking are one of the best I've seen so far. This is one of the major point we choose this service of others.
The issue mgmt and reports are also quite handy.

Cons: The resource management could be improved and also some minor bugs.

Alternatives Considered: Jira

Reasons for Choosing Paymo: Bitrix was awful.

Switched From: Bitrix24

Hey there,

Our team scheduler is our spear-of-attack so to say, hence it's being constantly updated.

Just recently, we've launched a remaining hours feature that allows you to see the available bookable hours at a project and user level in a simpler format: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/3578183-view-at-a-glance-the-remaining-hours-at-a-project-and-user-level

Expect more updates in this direction, like the ability to directly book a resource from the full task details.

Cheers!

• Reviewed on 24/07/2019
Frank V.
Frank V.
Online Marketeer
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2019

"Constantly improving"

Comments: Flexible and suitable for a lot of different projects. We gained a lot of insight through the visual data overviews. Tool is constantly improving: new features, upgrades, interface changes for the better.
The customer service was friendly and personal. Paymo and DataFeedWatch are my two favorite customer teams. Definitly recommended!

Pros: - Great, flexible project management tool
- perfectly scalable
- a lot of features and handy shortcuts (saved project lists etc.)
- provides a lot of insights per project and client
- Very friendly and personal customer service.
- Good value for the money

Cons: - Clients did not always get the tool instantly. But recent UX changes could make it easier for them
- Communication with colleagues could get a bit chaotic, takes some time to implement in the workflow.
- A lot of features requires good knowledye whats the best way to use the tool, so definitly assign someone to create a team workflow.

Alternatives Considered: Asana

Reasons for Switching to Paymo: Pricing and UX

Hi Frank,

Nicely worded, thank you!

We're working on an improved client portal, with in-app access to guest users so they can contribute and view the project progress in real-time. Follow the thread for it here: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/in-progress-client-portal-collaboration/67/2

Onboarding-wise, the focus for 2020 is going to be on in-app tool tips and video tutorials. Hope this will help you! :)

• Reviewed on 14/07/2019
Jack joseph B.
Jack joseph B.
Graphic Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2020

"Easy. Organized. Effective."

Comments: With Paymo I am able to solve problems and experience benefit. With the project tab I am able to see all of my projects, whether they be complete, inactive, archived, etc. I am also able to view tasks and task lists in different ways that allow me to effectively organize and plan my work day. Invoicing has become easier, as I am able to assign a client to an invoice and have it sent directly to the client's email address. Since my business is mostly run by rates, Paymo's time tracking feature along with the app helps me effectively track my time to charge my clients with the most accurate price. This also helps me with time sheets and time reporting, allowing me to plan for future clients to completely maximize profit.

Pros: Paymo's seamless design makes project management easy. With a simple menu sideline, it is easy to access all that your business needs to run in an organized and efficient manner. It is easy to add users, manage your subscription plan, view and add clients. Paymo's project tab is where you can view, manage, and assign projects and tasks to any user. Collaboration is EASY. And I love Paymo's Accounting tab also. Invoicing, expense input, estimates, and even recurring invoicing has never been simpler. I like how I was able to start with the free plan, then once my business grew I was able to easily switch to a more expansive plan.

Cons: I wish that I could have used more invoices in the free plan, just to grow my business a little bit more before spending more, but I am loving the subscription plan I am on at the moment.

by Paymo on 26/06/2020

Glad to know that you're enjoying the full suite of Paymo, Jack :)

We're working on a few goodies, like an improved client portal, a calendar task view, and a new mobile app release. So stay tuned!

• Reviewed on 24/06/2020
Andrew K.
Managing Director
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2019

"Paymo Review"

Comments: Support is great!

Pros: The ease of use and ability to switch views of dashboards, tasks is great. The functionality of tracking time without using a third-party tool is also great.

Cons: No desktop or mobile version and cost is slightly higher than competition.

Alternatives Considered: Asana, Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Paymo: Paymo was a lot more specific to our industry and was more user friendly.

Switched From: monday.com

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the kind words! We believe in the power of web and want to make Paymo accessible from everywhere, that's why we've opted for a web version.

The only desktop apps that we have are the desktop widget and PaymoPlus - download them here: https://www.paymoapp.com/downloads-and-integrations/

As for the cost, it's a bit of a subjective matter. We couple task management with time tracking, planning, resource scheduling, invoicing, and leave planner - so we pretty much replace the cost of 3-4 apps on average.

Not sure which competitors you've tested us against, so can't make a definitive comment.

Cheers,

• Reviewed on 23/10/2019
Peter W.
Web Developer
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/07/2019

"Team management made easy"

Comments: Paymo has transformed how our team works, making time tracking easy and allowing our project managers to accurately assign work to colleagues.

Pros: You can create custom invoice templates, some of our invoices can be rather complicated but Paymo made it easy to set them up.
The time tracking feature is incredibly easy to use, when trialing other applications our staff would always lose interest and forget to update theirs after a few weeks. With Paymo it was so easy to use that our staff have actually stuck with it!
Paymo is constantly being updated based on user feedback, the developers really do listen to their community!

Cons: Tracking a large number of projects at one time can get quite confusing, you can label and categorise them but when working with tens' of small(ish) projects the user interface get's rather busy.
The ability to import previous projects / calendars would be excellent, currently these have to be manually entered in.

Hi Peter,

I might use this testimonial on our website :D

Yes, we're aware of the speed problems and already take active steps towards improving it. As for the import function, that's a bit tricky since there's a lot of apps to import data from and no one standard format.

Can you write us at [email protected] about the tool you want to import projects from?

For existing projects in Paymo, you have the project templates.

Thanks!

• Reviewed on 01/07/2019
Darren C.
Office & Finance Manager
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2019

"Growing with Paymo"

Comments: We are able to clearly see where our staff hours are being spent, against which clients and projects.

Pros: Paymo suited our business need to manage both time and projects.
Its simplicity was a key reason for opting to choose Paymo over the masses of other tools available.
Paymo has improved and grown during the last 2 years, introducing new tools that have demonstrated the companies willingness to listen to their users and add functions and improve current functionality

Cons: Unable to 'repeat' projects, at the touch of a button, always have to re-enter all the details, even if the project repeats.

Hey Darren,

Indeed, we don't have recurring projects for now.

Have you tried saving the project as a template, then pasting it when a new, similar one comes up?

Here's how to do it: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/2922772-how-do-i-use-project-templates

Hope it helps!

• Reviewed on 28/10/2019
Breno M.
Breno M.
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2020

"Great software for time tracking and project and team management"

Comments: I'm vera pleased to be a user since it was in beta. It has helped me in all theses years for adequate budget a control over my jobs.

Pros: Ease os use, excellent support. Lots of features. Always evolving.

Cons: Price in dollars. For other countries it can get expensive.

Alternatives Considered: Time Doctor

Reasons for Switching to Paymo: Price and ease of use

by Paymo on 18/06/2020

Thank you for all your support these years, Breno! They're 12 in total if I count correctly :D

We're based in Europe too, so know the $USD struggle. Will see if we can add multi-currencies in the future :)

• Reviewed on 17/06/2020
Manuel B.
Manuel B.
Director of Business Development
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Simple, Easy to use and Works the way it's supposed to"

Pros: We use Paymo on a daily basis. The set-up for new users is extremely easy. This helps us especially because we use freelance professionals for different projects and Paymo helps us keep track of all of the different users on a per-project basis.

Cons: No cons at the moment. We use it every day and we never have issues. It helps that their mobile version is easy to operate as well.

Hi Manuel,

Appreciate the support!

The mobile app will be improved this year, supporting comments and task managemenet features so you can better collaborate with your team.

Stay tuned!

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Geneviève P.
Translator
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2018

"I really like this software. It fits almost all my business needs as a freelance."

Pros: Capacity to send invoices by email via Paymo. The Time Sheets is easy to use and I can easily create invoices afterwards. I like having access to the reports, which help me monitor how well my business is doing.

Cons: Would like more possibilities to adapt each invoice either in French or English to be able to write Email Templates either in French or English (now I have to write it in both languages in the same Email, which is not very personal) or to be able to insert a rate PER client directly in the Clients File.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2018
César C.
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2016

"PaymoApp - Great Software to manage a office"

Comments: Great program, I tested various software and no answer my management needs and control that intended, the PaymoApp was the one who managed.
Additionally the "time tracking" is the best we could find to control the production, running in the background, and only associate the task to the time it is automatically counted!
With time and use, the metrics become important management indicators! I strongly recommend.

Pros: Easy to use.
Intuitive
Dashboard customizable and with the principal information

by Paymo on 13/07/2016

Thank you for the review César! In the near future, we're going to focus on improving the dashboard and make it even more useful.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2016
Network Engineer
  • Reviewed on 19/09/2018

"A great way to track your client's billable hours."

Comments: Overall it is a great service that my colleagues and self use with ease to log billable house and create reports for clients. I highly recommend it.

Pros: The website and phone app make it very easy to actively track billable hours when doing work for a client.

Cons: The only thing I don't like is the pop-up chat/notification window at the bottom right on the website.

• Reviewed on 19/09/2018
Andrew M.
Andrew M.
  • Reviewed on 02/09/2019

"Paymo is at the top of project softwares"

Comments: Recommended to keep informed about the progress of each project, and to be able to segment the work in different time registers. An excellent idea to realize the potential of paymo in a short time is to use their online seminars, which turn out to be quite instructive.

Pros: With paymo we have made it easier to prioritize the creation and organization of Gantt charts over the rest of the components of our project. The platform keeps track of milestones, hours of work, resources for the project, and many other topics.

Cons: As for its negative side, it should be taken into account that paymo does not track the cost of each project directly on the fly. To achieve the results of these follow-ups, said project must be completed before, which ends up being a waste of time.

Hey Andrew,

Kudos for the well-thought review :)

Indeed, we don't have a cost function per se for a Time&Materials project, where the time tracked ultimately renders the final price.

You can go with a fixed budget instead under the project settings, that's what I would recommend.

Hope this helps!

• Reviewed on 02/09/2019
Preet C.
Preet C.
Self Emplyed
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2020

"Easy Time Tracking Platform for Various Work"

Comments: Overall I highly recommend this Paymo platform for small and intermediate businesses. It is not more useful in large industries because there is some limitation to use Paymo in large work management.

Pros: Paymo is very good designed for time tracking for various projects and that helps me a lot to manage my task on time and the below features I like most in Paymo are: 1) That track task time for every project.
2) It tracks PTO days also.
3) It generates and gives time reports so that I will manage my time better.

Cons: There are some features that Paymo should have to include in their platform are: 1) There is no way to accept client request work without any external integration.
2) Budget calculation from the project to the task is quite difficult.

by Paymo on 29/06/2020

Thank you, Preet, for the feedback and insights :)

We're actually working on an improved client portal with in-app access to guest users, so stay tuned!

As for the budget calculation of a project, can you give us more details at [email protected] about what you mean with this?

• Reviewed on 12/06/2020
Fátima R.
Fátima R.
Directora de Cuentas
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/06/2018

"Excellent app to manage teams and proyects!"

Pros: Easy to use and understand
Versatility
Large variety of options
kind, fast and useful customer support

Cons: Nothing. They are super fast being up-to-date with latest technologic matters. We don´t usually find any issue, but in case we have some, the customer team is always willing to help us solve it.

• Reviewed on 04/06/2018
Jacob K.
Principal
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/09/2016

"Probably the best available..."

Comments: I've tried almost every time tracking app available, and while the timesheets and time tracking aren't the best of others, adding project tracking, costs, invoices etc... it makes it stand out from all others. It is the most complete package for sure. I really wish they built in integration to Xero (not sure why this was dropped, the answers on this integration are vague at best).

Pros: Nice modern layout, good time tracking. Project management features are great, can bill by fixed fee or time, or even a mixture. Shows you unbilled time which is great.

Cons: Invoices don't integrate with Xero, which makes them kind of pointless because I have to recreate them in Xero. They help to track billed/unbilled time, but lack of integration is a huge disappointment.

by Paymo on 16/08/2018

You can integrate Paymo with Xero through Zapier or our API

• Reviewed on 15/09/2016
Arnaud L.
Planification team
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2019

"Probably the best tool for creative agency"

Comments: Paymo has helped us to manage our creative team in the agency : it gives informations and insights about everyone's work. We base our weekly meetings on Paymo: it gives the planning of each member of the team. It creates a "gamification" of our daily work. Last but not least, the time tracking tool which is provide by Paymo is awesome: it enables you to forget to trigger it by tracking constantly all your apps on your computer. Then, whenever you want, you can have the list of everything you did on your screen (like a browser history) and you can drag and drop each time period in the tasks in your Paymo schedule.

Pros: Countless features which cover every situation we've experienced in the agency.

Cons: Getting used to the software during the first days is quite difficult: the 30-minutes onboarding call is not really enough.

Hi Arnaud,

You can request as many on-demand onboarding sessions as you wish, as long as they're targeted.

Write us at [email protected] to schedule one ;)

• Reviewed on 03/04/2019
Xavier L.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2018

"Frequent user"

Comments: Track the time we spent on client projects
Build my time report for my client

Pros: Easy to use
Price
Good support
Improve my time management

Cons: Somes personalyse parameters for reports not offers

• Reviewed on 30/08/2018
Wender H.
sysadmin
Computer Games, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/10/2019

"very easy to user"

Comments: overall very happy with the product

Pros: ease of use, availability and reliability

Cons: nothing at the moment. everyting works fine

You rock, Wender!

• Reviewed on 11/10/2019
Leopoldo R.
Associate Professor
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/06/2015

"A great task management and time tracking tool. Really awesome!"

Comments: I am in the Software & Web Development industry and I need a tool for management my daily tasks, report hours and time tracking in order to have a clear understanding about how my projects are going on: progress, hours worked, tasks done, percentage of efforts in each task, and so on. Definitely, Paymo is a great tool for that purpose. Solved my need with excellence. Congrats to that team.

Pros: The User Interface is awesome. Very friendly, modern and intuitive. You get a whole view, graphically and textual, about what task you are doing in your projects and how the things are going.
Obviously a good UI also comes with a set of features that does this tool a very useful tool to do task management and time tracking.

Cons: This tool is more oriented to project management in a general and administrative perspective (progress, tasks, hours worked, etc.) than a tool for manage the software development life cycle (Agile projects, and so on). If you are looking something for manage software projects using Agile methods, it might be not the right tool. In such sense is not like JIRA or Trello, for example.

• Reviewed on 09/06/2015
Danie M.
Danie M.
Motion Pictures & Film
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2015

"Paymo good package"

Comments: I am currently just a freelancer, so in that a one man company :) But my the amount of invoices and quotes I started to send out started to really pick up. Paymo made this process really fun, simply because I love data and tracking of how the business end of my projects are going. This includes a really well built in system to track the time spent on projects. There is even an app on android that syncs to my projects to do quick time tracking (there was an error and reported the error which got fixed in a day!) With this you get an desktop app which I am starting to use a lot, due to it even stopping when your computer is idle for 5 minutes, just brilliant! I now have data on invoices sent, payments received, by which companies, hours spent on projects vs income and more. This service has some downfalls and will list them but I think it is a extremely well built service and I am sure it will just get better as it grows. The only downfall that I can think off is that you can't have more than one user on a paymo profile sending out invoices, which is strange because I am sure there are companies that would like to give a few people the right to do this? Currently this does not bother me so much. Thanks

Pros: Task handling
Apps for desktop and mobile
Invoice management
Tracking time spent on projects (then sending this to a quote)

Cons: Can't customize the email notification
PDF not included in email notification
Unlimited invoices only assigned to one person

• Reviewed on 14/07/2015