• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.7 /5
    4.8 /5

About Help Scout

Help Scout is a web-based help desk designed for a great customer experience.

Learn more about Help Scout

Celeste O.
Customer Support Lead
Printing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2019

"Great customer focused company to work with!"

Comments: Excellent. While there is some admittedly cool functionality that other CRMs offer at higher prices, they don't make sense for our current business needs and you really can't beat Helpscout when it comes to their customer service and help resources. It's excellent working with a team who really care what their customers and their customers' customers think.

Pros: Their entire philosophy is centered around customer satisfaction and success. This mirrors our own approach and it's great seeing that in action. They are also great at handling questions and service requests, and I love all the support and information resources they offer.

Cons: I wish the reporting functions were better and more detailed. Sometimes when something wasn't functioning in a way that worked for it, their response was suggesting a work around that would require a service plan upgrade when I figured out a work around that could work at our current level, but that is a very minor gripe.

• Reviewed on 12/08/2019
Shaun V.
Senior Manager, Success Engineer
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2019

"Stellar Support Tool for SaaS companies"

Comments: We support a B2B SaaS platform in the Marketing Automation space and provide email support. Help Scout executes very well against the challenges that we have.

Pros: Help Scout is purpose-built for Support teams which is fantastic. The features, UI, and reporting align closely with how we run our support team which makes things a lot easier. We're big on automation and building on top of our tools and have been very impressed both with the workflow capabilities as well as the API endpoints and integrations that are possible. The team behind Help Scout does a terrific job of supporting us, they have been extremely responsive, down to earth, and accurate in their replies.

Cons: To deliver a really good and consistent experience, the support channels of email, chat, and phone are very discrete and can't be blended as easily together as say a tool like Intercom (where we were coming from). While a short-term pain for us, I think delivering better in each of the channels ultimately made us a more mature team in the end.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2019
Jeff B.
Director of Support
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2017

"Terrific product. Great UI. Does lack on the integrations"

Comments: We've used Help Scout for several years. It's been a great product, really served us well. One of their best features is actually their marketing and weekly (twice a week now?) blog posts on Support, Marketing, and other related fields.

Pros: Super easy UI. I don't have to train newbies on using Help Scout for more than 10-15 minutes. It's that simple to use. VERY customer focused. It's not about a bunch of bells and whistles that are flashy fish hooks only intended to get bought by fishermen but not actually catch fish. Their product signs for the customer and the Support rep in it 8+ hours a day.

Cons: The lack of integrations. They just rolled out with a Salesforce integration, but lack integrations in other areas. Also, they're primarily focused on email so tracking chats and calls aren't that helpful...you would need to drop that data into Redshift, Gooddata, Domo, etc. to get much functionality in it. So unless you do that, you're stuck compiling a bunch in Google Sheets. Caveat: if all you do is email and maybe chat, then this product is everything you need and more.

• Reviewed on 05/02/2017
Johann K.
Customer Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2019

"The review"

Comments: Really nice product for email support teams, but it doesn't do the work for others. I like the goal Help Scout has, but they need to fit to the market before they are dropping out.

Pros: It's your best solution on the market if you are looking to interact with your customers only via email. Really easy to implement and the CS is really helpful too.

Cons: It's really difficult to spice things up for the customer. Limitations are set rather quickly when trying to customize Reports or being proactive with customers.

• Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Scott C.
Rep Communications Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2020

"Potentially good system for handling customer service"

Comments: Help Scout serves its purpose well. And I like the fun congratulatory messages it gives anytime a folder is cleared out. All in all a good product.

Pros: Help Scout allows customers to send requests to a centralized email address, rather than to an individual, helping ensure that someone on the customer service end will be able to reply promptly. On my team, I handle most customer service requests. However, if I happen to be out sick, on vacation, or in any way unavailable, I can rest assured that another qualified person on my team has access to--and is monitoring--Help Scout to ensure nothing slips through the cracks. Otherwise, a request might sit unanswered in my personal email inbox until I return. I also like that it's easy to store--and pull up-- information about the customer to see their history of past inquiries.

Cons: Automatic workflows are somewhat complicated to set up. I've found them unnecessary for the most part, but I'm sure they could be more useful for higher customer volumes.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2020
Jesse B.
QA Team Lead
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 17/02/2016

"Help Scout - a help desk that doesn't suck"

Pros: First of all, Help Scout does exactly what it needs to (facilitate organized, efficient conversations between customers and support people) without getting in the way. The UI is great (especially since 2015) and the workflows are easy to learn and relatively powerful. Keyboard shortcuts are killer. But most of all, I love that Help Scout doesn't feel "heavy" or "dated". It feels modern, fast, and clean. And the support people are just plain awesome. Oh, and did I mention their blog posts?

Cons: Like many companies, they had to grow to keep up with their customer base - which is awesome! But some of their new hires weren't the greatest at support (ironic, eh?). Also, they've had a fair share of downtime recently, though they've been excellent at communicating and building confidence even through these rough times.

• Reviewed on 17/02/2016
Staff Accountant
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"Great for customer service and internal requests"

Comments: It was a great experience, definitely worth the investment since it allowed us to measure and create KPIs for the satisfaction of our internal service.

Pros: This tool is very versatile and really snappy, I love how easy you can reply to incoming tickets and keep great analytics of it at the same time. We did the integration to Slack to keep it even easier and faster for our internal requests and products.

Cons: It can come pricey if you are really looking to have a low-cost alternative for your customer satisfaction portion but this should be no downer since when you pay for this platform you get a quick and efficient tool, just be mindful of the costs.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Manager, Support
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Help Scout for Customer Support"

Comments: Overall we have had a good experience but I do think we have outgrown Help Scout as our company grows and other departments need visibility into Support data.

Pros: Extremely intuitive and easy to use. Learning to use Help Scout takes very little time at all. I enjoy the overall UI and simplicity.

Cons: Reporting. As my company grows we have found that the reporting isn't as robust as we would like. It is pretty difficult to gain insight on particular customers who are reaching out and volume per account.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Lynn T.
  • Reviewed on 22/04/2018

"Help desk software works seamlessly with email for customer convenience"

Pros: It's very easy to keep up with support and help co-workers with tickets. It's easy to update the status and make sure nothing is falling through the cracks. The integrated docs is great for looking up error codes or messages.

Cons: If customers respond to an email and reply with comments 'inline' with the original response, their comments get stripped out. And when customers paste images inline with their text it's hard to follow which attachments are associated with each comment.

• Reviewed on 22/04/2018
Rob C.
Ambassador & Founder
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2015

"Simple & cost effective for small team support"

Comments: We were struggling to ensure all our customer support emails were replied to in a timely manner and often we were missing replies or getting confused when multiple employees needed to handle the support.
I tried a few different systems and they were either bolted on to Gmail, which got confusing or overly complicated for a small team. Finding Helpscout was a breath of fresh air. The web app was simple to setup and immediately it made sense with features that gave us the power to ensure we were giving our customers the best service possible.

Pros: * Simple to use with powerful features available if you need them
* Great documentation so little or no training needed for new staff
* Customer service from helpscout is brilliant with quick and helpful responses
* Two favourite features - 1) the ease with which you can move assign conversations back and forward between staff members 2) Save replies - saves so much time!

Cons: * A mobile app or mobile optimised web app is really needed

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2015
Sue Q.
Customer Success Director
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2017

"Easy to use"

Comments: Overall great. Would recommend to others.

Pros: Great reporting options
Easy to use
Awesome customer support team
Great search options
Easy to set up

Cons: Their help docs are often outdated. Also some of the features that stated were included ended up having a extra monthly charge.

• Reviewed on 14/07/2017
Rocky K.
lead
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2017

"Help Scout does one thing really really great"

Comments: Ease.

Pros: It was incredibly easy to set up. We migrated out of Zendesk to use Help Scout, and my team's eyes lit up from how intuitive it is to use. I even had non-coders building workflows to make email management easier. The best is when I asked their support about integrations and other fancy- and they told me that it's not in their vision. They want to build the best email support desk, period. And it's really really good!

Cons: There's a lot of integrations that aren't built in. Which, it's not a game breaker. Do you REALLY need your toaster talking to Help Scout?

• Reviewed on 03/10/2017
Nina W.
Home Services
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/01/2019

"Help Scout Helps"

Comments: Each of our departments have their own helpscout. This is where we can all work from, pull from, and even look back on past items just by searching for that home.

Pros: I like how it is like an email box that everyone in that department has access to.

Cons: At first it takes time to learn. I didn't like closing something out because I didn't want others to miss it. So I started leaving those pending.

• Reviewed on 02/01/2019
Head of Customer Support
Human Resources, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/11/2019

"Clean, beautiful platform."

Comments: I have used other similar tools but Help Scout is hands down the best on the market. Their team is friendly and helpful as well.

Pros: Help Scout takes the stress out of managing emails by providing a clean platform with simple features. It's easy to use and get new employees trained on. Their workflows are an essential feature to help tag, add notes, and manage ticket.

Cons: The tags are helpful but they can't be exported which China makes it difficult to track or manage their use.

• Reviewed on 09/11/2019
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2018

"Delivers"

Pros: - Communication feels natural, with no need for "tickets"
- Very simple to use, regarding both Mailbox and Docs

Cons: - Embedded Docs is limited and does not support the same styling options as the microsite version
- Having to pay an extra for the new Beacon 2.0 when the former Beacon was included in the plan

• Reviewed on 15/11/2018
Volkan O.
CEO and Founder
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2018

"Great Help Tool"

Pros: I really like their user interface. Their customer support is awesome. Also, if you don't want to communicate with your user with a real-time chat app, this help tool will help you to have a selling point too.

Cons: It's a good product, I don't have any serious request. Just one, they can add a suggested part to manage knowledgebase articles in their admin panel. Now, we have to manage them programmatically.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2018
Lisa D.
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2015

"Great Help Desk for Teams!"

Pros: There are so many great features within Help Scout that choosing only one reason why I like it is hard! The new reporting features have to be my favorite. I manage the conversations that come in through HelpScout for my company, and being able to view the different reports is invaluable. Especially with the new Happiness Reports, we are able to meet our clients needs in a non-intrusive way.

Cons: My company has been using HelpScout for the past year, and there have only been a couple times where we have run into issues. The biggest issue for me was not being able to change a customer for a particular conversation. We have employees that frequently email in requests from clients, so they would be stuck as the customer not our actual client. I reached out to support and they took note of my request, and later last year they fixed the issue!

• Reviewed on 10/02/2015
Frieda J.
Home Services Admin
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/12/2018

"Great communication"

Pros: Assigning co-workers and keeping everyone in the know has never been easier. Everything you need to know is in one location. There is no more who sent what from where.

Cons: Would be great if you could link the search bar to your g-mail

• Reviewed on 22/12/2018
Aimee M.
Order Fulfillment Adminstator
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/02/2019

"Help Scout"

Comments: It has been such a breeze using help scout since I have been at my place of employment.

Pros: You can search for emails for key words. I also like the read receipts when someone reads the email.

Cons: I don't have anything i don't like about the software.

• Reviewed on 19/02/2019
Payments
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2018

"Stellar support software that I'd highly recommend"

Comments: Better workflow, more satisfied customers due to quicker responses.

Pros: Help Scout allows customer service teams to powerfully work through incoming emails, as well as log phone calls. Robust workflows can route, tag, and prioritize emails as they come in, based on any number of criteria. You can also see who is viewing or responding to cases in real time, to prevent duplicate responds or work. Also has stellar API connections to connect to other software or CRM systems.

Cons: Does not have live chat, but this is coming very, very soon. Once new rules/workflows are put in place, it can be slightly slow to reprocess existing cases, which might just be due to the incredibly high number of cases we have logged.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2018
Diana K.
Student Advisor
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/07/2017

"It is a great place to get my work done!"

Comments: I get my work done in less time and it's totally more proactive than the previous tool we used!

Pros: Besides the fact I can assign emails to my teammates or other inboxes of other departments - the tagging and automated triggers make my life so much easier!

Cons: I think this is kind of irrelevant, but the fact I can't change the font and the color of the text is sometimes a problem.

• Reviewed on 26/07/2017
Cody C.
Customer Service Administrator
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"A simple and intuitive support mailbox for managing customer support without getting lost"

Pros: A simple and intuitive support mailbox for managing customer support without getting lost in a complicated system; it comes with a set of features for customisation and minimal training required. Some of the emails are automatically closed after they are replied to, you can tag people to assign emails to, you can add notes that only team members can see, and you're able to move messages from mailbox to mailbox within seconds.

Cons: A live chat functionality would help to eliminate the need for other apps. Having all these functionalities in one platform would be good. I understand that may be on the way.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Business Development Manager
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/06/2018

"Good for ticketing"

Pros: I like this product because you can easily tag and separate different emails. It also has analytics that helps you with KPIs.

Cons: I hate its search because it is ridiculously stupid. You can't find what you need, keywords don't work etc. Basically, it is useless.

• Reviewed on 20/06/2018
Dog Trainer
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/04/2019

"Great For Workflow"

Pros: Cute prompts for cycling through work flow- nice feel and intuitive. Great overall ease of use and design!

Cons: My employer switched due to pricing but no issues otherwise.

• Reviewed on 01/04/2019
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2018

"Great for Support Queuework"

Comments: Recommended for support service teams!

Pros: Awesome metrics, queue delegation, folder and workflow application and tagging.

Cons: No advanced formatting (bullet points). No way to export saved replies.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2018