15 years helping British businesses

About Confluence

Confluence is a team workspace where knowledge and collaboration meet. Create, collaborate, and organize your work all in one place.

Learn more about Confluence

Pros:

It is a very practical and simple software, it is not necessary to invest a lot of time to learn how to use it. Its graphic interface is very friendly, it is very intuitive software.

Cons:

Now I need to upload to google docs and import as google doc rather than word. The error messages sometimes are on the level of "something went wrong.

Confluence ratings

4.2

8.2/10

Confluence has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 3,353 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Confluence before?

Filter reviews (3,353)

Abegail
Abegail
Risk Analyst in Philippines
Consumer Services, 10,000+ Employees

Confluence is Good!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: If you are looking for one of the best knowledge base this is for you.

Pros:

I am working now and one of our tools for escalation and documentation is confluence. I can say it was easy to find solution.

Cons:

There's a lot of updates everyday in my email.

james
support engineer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

As a user and an admin what do i like or dislike

4.0 last month New

Comments: great go do business tool and used industry wide, has issues such as very slow support and lack of features which can be expanded with costly plugins

Pros:

the ability to control used access is great and to manage different spaces for different situations. we have also been able to use confluence to drive content on hosted web sites driven from confluence spaces with the help of plugins

Cons:

plugins are costly, and to make full use you need to use them. These seems to be charged based on how many users you have in confluence rather than how many who would use the plugin. this makes it expansive and there is no way of restricting a plugin to a user group

Alternatives Considered: Zendesk Suite

Reasons for Switching to Confluence: easier to use that other options available are the industry standard as well as coming with Jira

ash
PM in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Fine project management tool

Pros:

project task assignment and tracking is great

Cons:

not all aspects of project management can be tracked

Elaina
Employe Experience Coordinator in US
Accounting, 51–200 Employees

It's decent and gets the job donw

Comments: It's alright and gets the job done. If it's only use was task management I'm sure it would be amazing. They've got a ways to go as far as the Knowledge base looks.

Pros:

I like that it has all the required features of document management and IT loves that it connects well and integrates with their systems

Cons:

The look of the website from the user standpoint is a bit bland. It looks "clunky" and outdated compared to more modern user interfaces.

Jenny
Manager, Online Learning in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best content sharing and collaboration tool

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Editing of pages and easy modules to reuse components, filter tables, and more make it a go to app. This had a strong positive impact on our company.

Cons:

It would be great to have more voting and whiteboard tools.

Rahul
Rahul
Test Manager in Denmark
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Confluence: Best place to maintain the project document in agile

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It is very good tool for document management. one of the best we have used with so many feature inbuilt and the best part is its tie up with jira.

Pros:

The best thing about confluence we can have all our document at one place with access to everyone who needs it. It is easy to manage the access level like who can view, edit, delete or access the document. The document can be managed at company level or project level.

Cons:

The name has to be always different i.e support we have a folder Name 1 and sub file under it as file 1 and if i have another folder as Name 2 , even under that we cannot have a file as file 1.

Juan
Multimedia Production Specialist in Honduras
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Manage your Projects and Teams with ease

Pros:

It is very simple. Intuitive. I didn't need any tutorial to start using it.

Cons:

For the moment, I have nothing to say. The tool is useful.

Siddharth
Siddharth
Analyst in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Usefulness of confluence in our organization

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall confluence is an helpful application as it supports various devices and also provide data security for our data stored in there. It is a useful documentation and knowledge tool and easy to use in general.

Pros:

Enables user to publish, store and share different content in the space. We use this to store our product and implementation related documentation which is helpful for new employees who join the team or revisit old methods. Blogs can be published shared with specific access and share with features such as likes,comments etc.

Cons:

Navigation is somewhat difficult and causes confusion at times as we have many team and many branches, sub-branches, libraries it gets harder to navigate. Access controls are limited in customisations.

Frank
Frank
Infrastructure Architect in Denmark
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Great for many things

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Great. Wouldn't be without and have not worked with other systems that could match confluence.

Pros:

Easy to use for many things like intranet, knowledgebase and more.

Cons:

The search engine needs indexing some times.

Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Great Tool for Documentation

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I've used Confluence as a software engineer to produce technical documentation as well as integrate that with Jira. It's a great documentation tool.

Pros:

It is easy to track updates and share information to team members and folks outside our team within our company.

Cons:

It can be a bit complex when it comes to formatting appropriately on a page.

Giovanni
Document Analyst in Philippines
Internet, Self Employed

A wiki like software, Successful Tracking and Project Management

Comments: As mentioned in the title of my review, it's like a wiki version for the company's documents. I can easily find almost everything that I am looking for specially when tracking a document or checking for reference of hierarchy. It is the best solution for providing guide and solution documentation for my clients/customers.When I was still employed under an e-commerce company, we used confluence across most of our departments. It is very useful for finding information, reference for training because it serves as a knowledge base for our company's content. It can also be used as reference when checking metrics and product information within the company that is very important for the decision making of higher management.

Pros:

-No need to use multiple MS software like Ms Project, excel or even Word for documentation. Now I'm using a single tool for my Checklist, Requirement list, action plans, help guides, and testing strategies. -I like how it is integrated with JIRA which is also one of the main tools we use at work. All Jira dashboards are available within Confluence which allows documentation to be supported by task. -There are ready templates for creating different types of documents. There is an option to create hierarchy for documentation and link them to each other to avoid duplication.

Cons:

-Right now, exporting of documents is only limited to Word and PDF file types. It would be better if there were more options. -Adding the option to customize forms would be a convenient feature. Instead of only having the pre-build forms. -It is also better if there will be more complex support for searching algorithms for discovery when searching, not just by typing the exact keyword

Information Services, 11–50 Employees

Life saver for software projects

Comments: I have been using confluence every day for the last five years and I love how efficient and easy confluence is to use. It allows you to organize your pages into different spaces according to your needs and has an amazing set of tools for content editing. I remember before we used to store our data in JIRA cards or in MS word everything was just all over the place without any management. Now confluence is our one-stop solution for all our documentation needs. Using confluence we have all our content in one place and well organized

Pros:

Confluence is the most useful documentation tool of all time. It allows you to have all your documents in one place and not only that but it organizes them so very well. The number of tools it provides for editing a document is just amazing, something that is missing in all other documentation tools. The customizable templates are very useful too. I love adding images and videos to my documents, arranging the texts in blocks or tables, highlighting the important notes, etc. Confluence lets me do all of this. I also like how it allows collaboration of multiple people and highlights the contributors.

Cons:

I did not find any cons in the product itself but I would like to see better support service for confluence

Justin
Justin
Sr Embedded Software Engineer in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Confluence For the (Easy) Win

Pros:

Confluence has become the defacto wiki tool for most of the companies that I've worked with. The barrier to entry is super simple and VERY easy to setup (either Enterprise deployment or in the Cloud). Either way, most engineers I know these days are very familiar with Confluence. There are also a ton of plugins and enhanced features that you can bolt onto Confluence which make it robust and scalable.

Cons:

There are a few things I don't like about Confluence: 1. The search functionality is a bit... wonky (?) to use... they try to load predictive results, which don't open in a new page automatically, it takes too long to load sometimes and if you press 'enter' and don't wait for the predictive results to load it takes you to entirely new page where the results have to load again. Also if you try to search before the JS has fully loaded the search doesn't work, takes your focus away. This means I have to be very slow when using the search feature and it easily frustrates me. 2. They advertise all these awesome plugins and support widgets, which cost a ton of money, but they only apply at the space level, not an individual account level. I'd be more inclined to buy stuff if I could also apply it to my personal Confluence account and take it with me. There are features like enhanced project management, and task management, and charting, and RTF features that I want, but the last two organizations LOCK THIS DOWN and getting a plugin installed is like moving heaven and earth. 3. Im a web dev and an embedded systems engineer. I like to touch things. Confluence can be a bit locked down sometimes and regid in the HTML5 layouts and JS run on page. I wish I could be an 'advanced user' and just make the changes within page. But I cannot. Im stuck with the one size fits all. All of that said, they are gripes of a dev, but otherwise the wiki space is pretty fantastic. I use it daily!

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft SharePoint, Google Sites, Google Docs and Azure DevOps Services

Reasons for Switching to Confluence: The price + feature set met the needs of everyone.

Pulkit
Product Manager in India
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

One stop tool for documenting almost anything

Comments: Overall, the feature is a good to have and can make life easy by providing a single stop platform for all the documentation and giving a knowledge hub.

Pros:

Collaboration with numerous tools already in use by our company like Asana, Slack, Miro Board, Google Sheets, etc. , Ease of use and sharing documents just by a click, and Permission handling of users.

Cons:

Struggle to share snippets of code and adhering to syntax, and not having a flowchart builder feature.

Alternatives Considered: Notion

Reasons for Choosing Confluence: To incorporate a range of features that confluence offers and docs don't. Most important being integration with tools and Miro board.

Switched From: Google Docs

Reasons for Switching to Confluence: Confluence has better integrations with other softwares and is a dedicated platform for documentation. Also, we wanted to have a platform where a Knowledge Library can be created and managed easily which confluence gave us.

Denise
Denise
Marketing Specialist in US
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

All-in-one collaboration platform

Comments: Aids in the development of specialized work areas, wherein employees may carry out their duties in a relaxed and conducive setting. Integrating with other Atlassian products, as well as third-party apps, makes the platform more robust. It's easy to implement, fits any budget, and can help any business expand its operations.

Pros:

Atlassian Confluence is a platform for teamwork and information exchange that has helped our company greatly improve its operations. The platform is accessible to all users and features a straightforward interface, enabling our company to set up shared workspaces where employees can efficiently complete a wide range of assignments. It's steady, and it's facilitated the simple expansion of our holdings.

Cons:

There was a difficult learning curve for some of our less tech-savvy consumers to become proficient on the site. Some users may find it inconvenient that customer service is only offered in English.

Mohamed Salah
Project Manager in Tunisia
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

An In-Depth Review of Confluence

Comments: Overall, Confluence is an excellent collaboration platform. Its intuitive interface and powerful features make it easy to set up and use, and it's a great way for teams to store, share, and collaborate on documents, notes, tasks, and more.

Pros:

Confluence is an incredibly powerful and flexible collaboration platform for teams. It enables teams to easily store, share, and collaborate on documents, notes, tasks, and more. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, making it simple for teams to get started quickly. It also has a wide range of powerful features, including powerful search capabilities, easy-to-use editing tools, and the ability to create custom workflows.

Cons:

While Confluence is a powerful collaboration platform, it can be a bit overwhelming for users who aren't familiar with the platform. Additionally, the cost of using Confluence can be prohibitive for smaller teams.

Jessica
Jessica
Technical Program Manager in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Confluence, My Most Reliable Tool

Comments: It's been incredible and we've been slowly breaking away from random documents in inboxes, desktops, Sharepoint, OneDrive and centralizing the information. It's been amazing.

Pros:

#1 I love Confluence, as it's so user friendly and so simple to use. I've taken it and built out the structure at my new company, as well as previous ones to make our shared Confluence space a HUB for our Documentation, Meetings Customers/Projects/Team, Resources, Planning, you name it. It's so easy and it's a great way to keep everyone informed and involved. AND you can customize how it looks.

Cons:

Not much I dislike. Maybe if I could have a few more customization options, but that is about it.

Brandon
Brandon
Sales Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Confluence helps my company collaborate and share knowledge

Comments: My team is able to save, organize, and share papers in one convenient spot thanks to the superb document management tools that come standard in Confluence. Because of this, my team is now able to seamlessly integrate internal collaboration methods into our day-to-day operations by having instantaneous access to all relevant project documents and information.

Pros:

Excellent program for group work and information exchange. It comes with more than a hundred different layouts to choose from. Access controls are provided, and team members can easily connect with one another. It's an excellent resource for building and managing a database of how-to guides to be distributed to clients. It's also great because it works in tandem with other attlassian applications, such as JIRA.

Cons:

Unless one is familiar with the relevant duties, I find the administrative side to be a bit of a hassle. Limitations in personalization and usability in document format selection make it difficult to create documents in specific ways.

Maria Agnes
QA in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

One of the greatest tools to collaborate and build project knowledge base

Pros:

A great collaboration tool where all project documents (from major project plan to reports to release cycle to simple meeting notes) can be organized and shared in one centralized location. The confluence editor feature makes it easier for me to create documents, review and share feedback and changes can be tracked thru page histories. Spaces are well organized and structured. There are page shortcuts, page trees, breadcrumb trails that aid users to navigate between pages and information. It is easy to build links within pages by adding an anchor. You don't need to remember which part of the page you have read a certain information and do page scroll. I like the gliffy plugin. Whenever I need to embed a workflow diagram, adding gliffy makes it easier to attach flowchart, it's dynamic as changes in the diagram is reflected in the page. I can highlight people in my reports or meeting notes by tagging them Documenting a test report is easier with the JIRA integration - JIRA issues highlighted and linked and JIRA issue filters can be embedded and since these two (JIRA and Confluence) work hand in hand, it makes delivering software in agile approach a lot easier.

Cons:

To beautify your confluence page, you need to know which macros and plugins you need to add but by doing these, one needs to have very basic knowledge in html or programming which could be a learning curve to most people. But lots of how to videos are shared by Atlassian and lots of documented procedures are out there shared by experienced users. One just need to be resourceful. The challenges in embedding spreadsheet with macros and formatting tables are not a challenge anymore if you know what macro or plugin to use. Another issue is sometimes finding the information you are seeking is not successful and sometimes the information search for spans to multiple pages - but information actually can be managed by adding labels which again boils down to the user having the knowledge that this feature exists.

Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Perfect solution for interaction within our dev team and also for interaction between us & customers

Comments: I absolutely love the product. It is awesome. When your con list is made up of feature requests, you know the product is intensely used and you are looking for "more" or adjusting how things are done to help enable you to do your task, plus add functionality that would provide value for the product. This product is a 10 of 10 if you are using it right.

Pros:

The widgets. I love the team calendars, the roadmap functionality for time lines, decision tracking and criteria, tasks/action items and the ease of defining them, status bars, and the flexibility for meeting notes, how to articles, blogs, file lists, product requirements, retrospectives, task reports, and troubleshooting articles from one source. It has really improved our interaction with customers for projects and documentation.

Cons:

From time to time I see issues with editing pages. It does not make the bold or color changes to changes even though the toolbar indicates it is made, it does not display correctly. I also see this display issue with tasks, where the tool bar indicates a task is inserted, but it is not displaying correctly. And also see this issue with bullets. It will display no bullet, or even worse, it displays additional bullets that I don't want. I would also love to be able to sync widgets between pages (ie a status bar on one page to a parent of that page for a summary. And also be able to sync components/pieces of a page between two Confluence instances. For an example of the use case, we have a time line that we maintain on an internal instance, and I want to sync parts of that timeline to an external instance that we share with customers. This would allow me to have internal only deliverables mapped, but provide a customer facing doc without maintaining two versions

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

An excellent documentation service that has saved me on many occasions

Comments: My coworker and I use confluence extensively to document all of the work that we perform. As IT staff many issues that we come across will be repeated ad-infinitum. As such to simply be able to look up the fix from any location with internet access increases efficiency many times over. The notification ability helps all users to see what has been changed, when, and by whom providing an excellent level of accountability.

Pros:

It is extremely easy to create a large number of documents, it is possible to reference other documents within them to facilitate ease of research, and documents can all be put into sub-folders to contain them within separate trees to aid with organisation. The mobile app is extremely useful for reading documentation whilst on the go - an example would be that we keep Video Conference details on one page that I have favorited, as such when I set up a VC from any location I am able to rapidly find the correct details to dial. The search functionality allows for extremely quick location of relevant documents. On many occasions I have not been able to find what I need looking through the lists, only to immediately find it on the first search. Indeed I no longer look through the list as the search is so efficient. When changes are made to documents it is possible to set it up to notify other members of the team so that they are able to see what has been done.

Cons:

The only minor issue I have discovered with confluence is that when creating new documents setting the location is not as smooth as I would like. Specifically I need to begin creating the document, then select "Move" and finally put it into the desired place. This does not really cause issues as it is still a quick process, however a one click setup would be appreciated.

Arturo
Developer in Spain
Information Technology & Services, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best documentation tool I ever used

Comments: I use this almos daily and I think it is a great tool for team performance. It allows to create and view all the info in no time and pretty well structured.

Pros:

The main advantage about Confluence is that is part of the Atlassian Suite which involves Jira and Bitbucket among others. This makes pretty easy to integrate them and add quick references to a jira issue with just write the reference number. The text editor in Confluence is pretty complete, allowing to create really decent pages for any kind of documentation desired. The possibility of create nested pages makes really easy to organize the information in "chapters" "sub-chapters" and so on, giving your documentation a really neat look. This feature also allows to segregate the information, so you can have your product's documentation on one place, perfectly organized and set another "Chapter" for your team info, where you could store info about code conventions, timetables about overtime or availability, and so on. Confluence is also useful in order to create software designs, since it allows to create pages where you can paste your diagrams and so on and allows to discuss on them by adding comments or remarks. And the Watch utility keep you posted via e-mail whenever a page you're watching is modified in any way so you can keep track of a discussion or whatever.

Cons:

So far didn't find any big issue with confluence. Maybe for beginners it has a bit of learning curve and some option like the page nesting and so on is a bit difficult to learn. Besides that, I think is a pretty complete software. Something I miss is the possibility of "downloading" a page with all nested ones into a pdf. That would be a great feature in order to generate documentation files.

Binujaya
Software Engineer in Sri Lanka

The best documentation platform

Comments: This is amazing software with close to zero disadvantages. It corresponds with Jira which is great, also provides documentation, you can create pages, see notes related to a specific theme, besides pages you can create tables, images, etc. I would recommend this software to anyone who needs a program that creates documentation. Also, they are looking to improve their software by making a lot of updates.

Pros:

Confluence has a lot of advantages and here are some of them. Confluence is part of Atlassian Suite which is connected with Jira and you can easily integrate them. This software provides a documentation platform for your projects. You can create links to other pages, see other documents that are related to some specific project, also it provides you with different kind of images and charts to make your document more powerful. This software supports everything starting from images, tables, diagrams, charts, whatever you need Confluence has it. Also, another thing that is worth mentioning is that you can see if anyone has made any change to the document and if it has you will get notified.

Cons:

There are not so many disadvantages, to be honest, this is great software, maybe a bit hard for some beginners, but not too hard and you will have to spend some time on this software to know how it works. Another thing that I don’t like is that they are changing Confluence non-stop. They are doing updates most of the time and changing the software. I understand that they need to make changes for better but that can sometimes be annoying because you know something where is it and then they change it and add something else and you have to learn again.

Nadiv
Customer Service Emergency Hotline Employee in Netherlands
Consumer Electronics, 501–1,000 Employees

Confluence: the hub for knowledge management

Comments: Overall, I use Confluence every day in my work to keep my (and my organization's) knowledge base relevant. I use to it to collaborate with other employees for improving internal processes, as well as for communicating important current info (such as outages or key developments). Confluence is unmatched in its search functionality, and allows my organization to keep its knowledge base completely streamlined.

Pros:

I use Confluence as a customer service employee. We have a vast amount of procedures for managing internal systems, as well as for applying systems to actual contact with customers. All of these procedures are stored and maintained in Confluence. What helps me the most, is Confluence's super-advanced search functionality. Essentially, I merely have to type in a relevant word, and Confluence will list all the applicable articles. This allows me to find a relevant procedure for a specific situation in seconds. Another important feature to me is the commenting system. I collaborate with users who create and manage articles. When I see info in an article that's outdated or incorrect, I can leave a comment, and the article manager will get a notification. It's easy to collaborate in this way and keep information up-to-date. Lastly, the permission schemes help with keeping editing (or even viewing rights) limited to the relevant users. Within customer service this is important, as there are varying levels of authorization within our organisation.

Cons:

In my opinion, the user experience and readability of the software could be improved slightly. The color scheme of blue/white/black isn't bad, but the layout tends to be somewhat messy. It could benefit from some streamlining, and perhaps more clear demarcation of elements within pages (such as more use of bold / italics, more variance in font size, and use of headers).

Amr
Amr
Senior Scrum Master in Egypt

Best Documents Management Tool

Comments: I've found that Confluence offers some great benefits for teams working together. The collaboration features are top-notch, allowing multiple people to work on the same document simultaneously. I also appreciate the customization options, which let you tailor the platform to your needs. The document management capabilities are also beneficial, making it easy to organize and find important files. Plus, integrating other tools is seamless, saving you time and effort. Finally, the knowledge management functionality is a nice touch, letting you store and access important information in one place. All in all, Confluence is an excellent tool for team collaboration and productivity.

Pros:

Confluence is an excellent tool for document management. It offers many features, including version control, access controls, and document organization. This makes it much easier to keep track of changes to important documents and manage them effectively. With Confluence, you can be sure that all your documents are stored securely and have complete control over who can access them. Whether you are working on a project or need to keep your records organized, Confluence is the perfect solution.

Cons:

I've heard from some users that Confluence is lacking in some formatting and customization options. Specifically, some have reported that the platform lacks more advanced formatting capabilities, such as the ability to create multi-column layouts. Additionally, while Confluence allows for customization, it seems that the platform's options are somewhat limited compared to other document management tools.