• Overall

About Toast POS

Toast is an all-in-one POS and restaurant management system built to improve efficiency and dramatically cut costs.

Learn more about Toast POS

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Toast POS before?

IT Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees

Toast--Support when you need it.

5 3 years ago

Comments: We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

Pros:

I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

Cons:

The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Amber C.
General manager in US

Amazing Customer service

5 4 months ago

Comments: amazing

Pros:

The customer service with toast system is amazing. I have called at least once a week for the past two months learning features and everything there is to know about the POS. I have never waited longer than 1 minute for a real live person to answer on their customer support phone number. Every time the guys are so helpful and quick. They explain everything and are available 24/7 seriously it’s 3:08AM and they just got done helping me set up scheduling through the system. I highly recommend

Cons:

The only concerns that has come to our attention is the processing fees. But all processing fees no matter what system you use is high and adds up every month. It’s nots toast fault credit card fees are high and that’s the banks not toast

Valentina C.

Beware of their promises

4 2 years ago

Comments: After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros:

Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons:

Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

2 years ago

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

SEO Digital Marketing Analyst (Remote) in US

One of the most intuitive POS systems I have encountered

5 3 years ago

Comments: When I began using Toast there was fear of a learning curve however I immediately adapted to it as it seemingly was designed by the professionals in the industry who use it. Everything is where it needs to be and it is incredibly easy to train new employees on the system even without previous experience working with a POS system.

Pros:

Very intuitive user interface Incredibly easy to pick up and go with previous POS system knowledge Very responsive clicks Great organization tools for menu options Split check function is much easier to use than other systems Credit card transaction time is very fast

Cons:

Training entire staff over to a new POS Other than the cost of training and time for adaptation there is no reason this POS should not be ranked alongside the industry standards like Aloha and Micros

3 years ago

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. It¿s great to hear that Toast is helping your restaurant become more efficient and that it is easy to use and integrate into your restaurant. We are glad some of our features, like the split check function and quick credit card transaction, are helping your operations. We're excited to continue to help you to thrive!

Business Owner in US

Toast POS

4 last year

Comments: It has been mostly positive, except for the issues I mentioned above.

Pros:

Pretty simple to use. Reliable, little or no downtime. Terminals worked well and held up in the environment.

Cons:

Support has really gone downhill. Too long to get resolution to some tickets and some never get resolved. Mobile app is an issue since employees can change their clock in times and Toast does not track if it came from the mobile app. No direct integration with 3rd party delivery companies.

Tyler B.
Senior Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees

Toast Review

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Far and away the easiest POS software to use. If you are looking for software that anyone from the most tech savy down to the least savy, this is the platform I would recommend. The reporting features are easy to use and understand.

Cons:

They lack in their customer support. They have been getting better, but as an early adopter, I saw where they grew too fast and forgot to help support their earliest customers with their issues.

3 years ago

Hi Tyler - We're thrilled that you're finding Toast easy to use! Our technology is designed to support your business, not get in your way. Staff training is hard enough without the POS being difficult to use. Customer service is a top priority for us in 2019 and beyond. We'll continue to focus on that to ensure you and your team get best-in-class service whenever you call or log on.

Kestrel L.
owner, GM in US

Beware!

3 2 years ago

Pros:

I signed on to Toast because they touted themselves as software specifically for restaurants so I thought it would be an easy transition. It was not. As a POS system the functionality is fine. Servers can ring in food and it prints where we tell it but good luck pulling even basic, typical reports any restaurant would need. A lot of the reports I would want are listed as possible but then they don't populate with actual numbers. Support has no clue. I can wait to talk to a support person for 20 minutes sometimes or even get a "we'll call you back" which comes 24 hours or more later which is such a bummer when I have a guest waiting for a check and I need support to do it. When I do get them on the line they know about as much as I do about how to work the software.

Cons:

Toast talks big and presents a front like they know what they are doing but they don't seem to grasp even simple financial or restaurant concepts. Do your servers split tips with a bartender or other support staff? Too bad because you are going to need to create your own spreadsheet outside the system to do that and then tediously go day by day to get the tip info for payroll. It is significantly more expensive than what I was doing before and they forced me to buy all their hardware, like printers and tablets which is dumb. Any old tablet would work better than theirs because they have it locked so we can't play music through it or manage our Instagram account. The list of problem s is too long to even go into here. DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO RUNNING PAYROLL THROUGH THEM. The payroll program is a complete and utter joke. They have no clue.

2 years ago

Hi Kestrel, Mora here from Toast. Thank you for providing this feedback, we are continually working on improving our reporting, analytics, and Payroll platform, and appreciate hearing from you. To ensure performance, we will continue to recommend that you only run Toast software on Toast hardware. I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble getting ahold of our Support team. If our line (617) 682-0225 is busy, please log on to Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) to chat with them live during business hours. I have notified your Restaurant Success Manager to inform them of the issues you've been having and they will be in touch.

Allen C.

Toast Software

5 7 months ago

Comments: My overall experience is good. We are pleased with the features that it offers. Our staff does need a while to learn where all of the item buttons are. The modifier buttons seem to be in different locations for different items.

Pros:

Toast is a good program for our industry. It will run many reports that are helpful. The connection to a mobile phone is great because you can do almost anything from the mobile phone that you can do from the desktop.

Cons:

Since the pandemic, customer support has been very difficult to contact. Our franchise is taking in customer support from Toast so that we can get help when we need it. It does have a learning curve that is difficult to learn very quickly.

Matt S.
Restaurants

Awesome product, completely cost effective and easy to work with.

5 6 years ago

Pros:

I have found their system to be very easy to work with and definitely cost effective. The thing I hated about the other POS systems that are IPad based is that a new Ipad is so ridiculously expensive to replace. And I don't know about y'all, but when you hadn employees tech, you better be prepared to replace it. I have added tablets in literally less than 20 minutes on a Friday night because I decided that day I wanted a phone station. It was easy to do, and I took care of it without support. But when I have had issues on Friday night, like when Time Warner decided to go down for a couple hours just cause, Toast was right there on the phone and able to walk my staff through the offline experience. The data is easy to get on the back end, and in real time. I love being able to log in and see what is going on at any given time. Or edit the menu because I forgot something from my recliner at home, if I am actually able to that day. Y'all know how that is, or will.

Cons:

Their software is a constant work in progress, which is a good thing. They have added a ton of features since June 2014 when I started with them. There isn't anything I don't like about the system. My only complaint is they don't yet have a fully integrated scheduling system. That is coming though, and there are solutions that sync with Toast, but I just haven't gotten away from our spreadsheet system yet. Old habits die hard.

Jonathan S.
US
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees

Toast POS!!

5 5 years ago

Comments: Toast has been a great overall experience thus far for my 5 restaurants. The functionality is amazing as well as the back end . All of employees hands down prefer this software over what we use to have. Offline Mode is amazing!! No more phone calls because the internet went down

Pros:

Your able to do anything you really want. With 5 stores I love the fact that when I make a change on one restaurant it make the exact same change on the other 4. Offline Mode is huge considering what we had before. 24/7 Technical Support is nice although at times they just tell you they do not know the answer and will call you back but 9/10 they never do call back.

Cons:

Technical Support is so-so. Like I said, sometimes they don;t know the answer to a question and will tell you theyll call back but do not. Some features I like are not available yet but they are constantly doing updates so Im sure thatll change.

Devin W.

A disastrous experiment

1 9 months ago

Comments: The initial sales experience was exhausting. It's like they hire people from the mattress stores: they quote you prices at 4,000% of what they need and then call you constantly, coming down. The equipment's sleek and they're good at helping with installation. But if you're a small outfit like mine, they probably sold you twice as much stuff as you need. Pre-pandemic the customer service was on point. But then the Toast-Go that my coffee shop relied on (the mobile unit we used in our drive-thru window) crapped out; it just stopped charging. They sent me another one, but for five days or so the speed of our drive-thru service was significantly impaired. Then the new Toast-Go crapped out: it just didn't charge anymore. Same thing. This time it was impossible to reach customer service. Apparently they laid off most everyone in COVID April. Maybe it was possible if you could wait on hold for a couple hours. There is no "callback" function on their customer service line: you have to listen to the music. Through their awkward online customer service mechanism, I suggested they send me another MobileGo but let me hang onto the current one, in case it started charging again (the previous one had done this, after several days of lying dead, before I had to send it back). They never got back and ended up charging me for the new piece in spite of my warranty. The new one crapped out. I canceled my contract. They're making me buy it out for $33 a month x 20. I hate Toast.

Pros:

The UI is pretty intuitive and the reporting is very solid.

Cons:

It failed constantly. They're charging me anyway.

Paul Z.
Director of IT in US

Best POS experience ever

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Its a true partnership, Toast is a company that stays true to their word and works with you to reach your goals. Its always growing and becoming incredibly robust; from the the enterprise level, to the day to day features for the servers. Its a wonderful platform

Cons:

It still has some work to be done with the Enterprise menu management, it is really hard to keep organized in its current format. Enterprise reporting times out often, and it becomes a bit of hassle to pull a large report.

Sue C.
finance in US
Events Services, 11-50 Employees

Toast POS Inventory Module

5 2 years ago

Comments: We use the Toast POS system and have added the inventory module which I suggest for anyone tracking
cost per event. I has lessen our work load, we no longer do a manual inventory count after each event.
We still do manual counts monthly and have found the inventory module very accurate.

Pros:

Ease of use Tracking of inventory Reports of inventory used for each event inventory item cost tracking

Cons:

I have not found many things not to like about the software. Setting up some of the inventory reports i found more difficult then the POS reports.

2 years ago

Hi Sue, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for your review regarding the Toast Inventory module. We're happy to hear you have found it to be accurate and easy to use.

Luke D.
Luke D.
General Manager in US
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

POS system for nimble operations

5 3 years ago

Comments: Toast is flexible for multi concept companies where you need the POS to perform differently while still having the ability to manage and report multi unit operations

Pros:

The whole system has been great to work with. From implementation to daily use it is very streamlined and operational. Ease of use and intuitive process reduces training time for new staff. Easy to change data quickly from anywhere in the building

Cons:

Some of the report is basic and could be more specific or drill down more.

Jeff J.
Chief Operating Officer in
Restaurants, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Time for Toast

5 5 years ago

Comments: A couple of years ago Costa Vida completed an extensive search for a POS system that would replace our outdated Micros 3700 platform. After reviewing more than a dozen options, we selected Toast and launched our first location with them in July of 2015. Immediately we saw improvements in speed and processing. Our cashiers learned the system quickly, and were able to fly around the screens inputting orders. The customer support during the past couple of years has been outstanding.

Pros:

It is quick to implement, quick for our people to learn, and has proven to be very reliable.

Joe P.
Network Administrator in US

Toast is Great

5 2 years ago

Comments: We're able to track inventory and breakdown restaurant operations in fine detail. Customers love paying right at the table on the tablets.

Pros:

It's simple and straight-forward. You make a change, hit Publish and see your changes instantly on the tablets. I love how easy it is to colorize menus. Servers make fewer mistakes because I color buttons to match the food/drinks. Customer orders red wine --> Hit the RED button.

Cons:

I really have no trouble with the software. Sometimes support can be a bit slow on advanced issues.

Aaron E.
Menu Management Analyst in US

Toast - The All in One

5 3 years ago

Pros:

The software allows for a lot of functionality, but only if you want it. If you don't need to use a function you don't need to mess with it after the initial setup with Toast's menu team.

Cons:

It can be overwhelming for smaller stores that can't devote the time to learning the intricacies.

3 years ago

Hi Aaron, Jasmine from Toast here. Thank you for your review! I'm glad you can see Toast's scalability to fit the needs of all our customers.

John C.
owner in US

toast

4 3 years ago

Comments: not bad but could be better

Pros:

simple to use and a great value for the money

Cons:

lack of some simple features, and online discounts. delivery mapping system sucks since they changed away from google maps as a provider

Sandy T.
Brand Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

User Friendly

5 5 years ago

Comments: I find the Toast POS very user friendly. There is a learning curve once you accept all Toast is capable of. Coming from Micros, I kept thinking the "micros way". Once I learned about Toast, Toast is so easy to use!

Pros:

Ease of use

Cons:

Training could be more involved. I feel like more assistance is needed after the initial training, which is where customer support fails.

Julio A.
owner in

Excellent Experience

5 4 years ago

Comments: in general after all my research its the best POS on USA, need some adjustment but they are always working on get better

Pros:

Cloud base system, excellent customer support, always update. The back end is super user friendly and the statistic wonderfull.

Cons:

need more improvement on delivery services, its not so easy to setup by your own the menus and need extra help from them

Tom M.
General Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

Great Pos System

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Easy to use it is one of the easier pos systems to lean

Cons:

Nothing specific toast does a great job with taking the advice of there customers

Intern - Behavioral Science Unit in US

Great POS System!

5 3 years ago

Comments: Toast is a super easy POS system to navigate. The restaurant I work at just all of a sudden switched over from Micros to Toast, and everyone seems to love Toast. There have been a few glitches here and there, but each issue was resolved. Customer service was always more than willing to help. My coworkers and I quickly caught on to this POS system, and no one misses Micros at all.

Pros:

Toast offers training through their website, which is something I took advantage of for sure. We all had to quickly learn Toast, and the online training through Toast University was amazing. It made learning the system very easy and quick to pick up.

Cons:

Honestly there hasn't been anything negative so far that I have experienced. However I'm just a user, not the administrators. Their answers might not be the same, but I think for the most part everyone appreciates how simple Toast is.

Nick S.
Director of Operations in
Restaurants, 201-500 Employees

Overall Best POS for Restaurants

5 4 years ago

Comments: I would suggest this POS over any other I've worked with (Micros and Aloha).

Pros:

Toast is an easy to use POS system. Managers and servers are easily trained on all functions. Reporting is detailed and was

Cons:

Some flawed features that they need to get fixed. Inventory needs more checks and balances to make it more efficient.

Seater in US

The best!

5 3 years ago

Pros:

User friendly, simple to read and navigate.

Cons:

The only complaint I have is that I wish it was on a Apple product

Johnny G.
owner in US
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees

Careful with any 3rd party contractors that are used to help set up

4 2 years ago

Comments: Toast sent over a 3rd party contractor to help install the system. Only for 2 hours plus 2 1/2 hours of drive time for them, and we had nothing that was in their scope of work to do. Although, they help is we paid them separately.
We get to the finish line and Toast sends over some shady shysters wanting to get paid by Toast and me.

Pros:

cloud base system with more functionality

Cons:

Toast makes lots of assumptions on set-up. One, is that everyone is an IT major. Two, there is no help with hardware installation.

2 years ago

Hi Johnny, Mora here from Toast. Thank you for providing feedback on your installation experience. We're committed to thoroughly vetting high-quality 3rd party contractors when necessary and your feedback is appreciated. Please reach out to our Support team at (617) 682-0225 during business hours if you continue experiencing difficulty with this contractor.