15 years helping British businesses

About IntelliJ IDEA

Designed to maximize productivity, IntelliJ IDEA is a full-featured IDE for Java and Kotlin development

Learn more about IntelliJ IDEA

Pros:

I've been using it for several months now after going through a coding Bootcamp. The features and ease of use are awesome.

Cons:

When I shoot a new project, my old projects deteriorate. I need to do the dependency settings again.

IntelliJ IDEA ratings

4.5
4.3
4.7
4.5

9.0/10

IntelliJ IDEA has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 1,218 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used IntelliJ IDEA before?

Filter reviews (1,218)

Yiğit
Yiğit
Software Developer in Türkiye
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

IntelliJ IDEA for Professional Developers

Comments: IntelliJ IDEA has become a software that I can easily use with my teammates and increases our development speed in many projects. As a program that is constantly updated and renews itself, it attaches great importance to user support. This of course motivates us. The fact that we have a large community behind us regarding the software we use greatly reduces the potential problems we may experience. IntelliJ offers professional development experience with its unique innovations that promise high performance and perfect interface.

Pros:

IntelliJ IDEA has powerful technologies and features. User friendly and easy to use GUI. Runs much faster than alternatives. You can edit and configure everything you imagine in your project with IntelliJ IDEA. If you are a developer and you have a idea, you should use IntelliJ IDEA!

Cons:

Maybe RAM usage of the program should be optimized.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Visual Studio, Apache NetBeans, Eclipse IDE and Visual Studio Code

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA: Eclipse is not working efficiently. Crushes every time i open a project. Bad GUI and themes. Less features and plugins.

Switched From: Eclipse IDE

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA: It stands out with its product quality among many alternatives. Definitely #1 in customer support. In addition, it always offers the right product to its customers with the innovations that come regularly and the wide product range it offers.

Dulvin
Dulvin
Software Engineer in Sri Lanka
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Awesome IDE for your daily JAVA related development

Comments: I am very pleased with IntelliJ IDEA after moving from Eclipse. Which is also a great tool but I love how smooth IntelliJ IDEA runs on my MacBook Pro. This is one of the best experience I have with an IDE

Pros:

I like how intelligently it suggests, and it's features which include awesome code completions, as well as intuitive way to integrate plugins for different tools. It also includes gigantic amount of shortcuts, when you're familiar with them makes your day to day life pretty easy. Attractive interface along with the debugging capabilities for JAVA makes this the go to tool for any developer. This also has version control included, which smoothens the process of a Software developer by a great deal

Cons:

Some plugins take huge amount of memory, so if you're on a machine which does not have enough power, you might not get the fullest experience. Hence you're encouraged to use a powerful machine for this Extremely Helpful software to run properly

Rayhann
Student in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

IntelliJ Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I extremely enjoy coding in IntelliJ IDEA and although it has some negative things, it's much better than other IDEs (in my opinion). It looks more appealing and has pretty much the same features as other IDEs.

Pros:

I really like how IntelliJ has a really nice interface and it looks really "clean". Classes are organized and it's really easy to use. Compared to other IDEs, it's appealing and many people I know use it daily.

Cons:

One of the things I would change are the export options about IntelliJ. At least for me, I wish there were multiple options to export a project such as exporting it to ZIP file. I'm able to do by myself, but I wish IntelliJ would have it as a default option. I also wish you can zoom into the code easily (at least for Window users).

Claudius
Software engineer in Romania
Computer Software, Self Employed

I would not recommend IJ for AS3 / Flex / AIR Development

Comments: Extremely bad experience. It was so bad that I started to build my own AS3 / Flex / AIR build engine; it overcomes the above problems and I can use it in place of IntelliJ's build & pack functionality. It will be on GitHub soon, look for ciacob/SIRIUS

Pros:

It was an IDE that *somehow* filled the gap for AS3 / Flex / AIR developers after Flash Builder left the stage. With Moonshine not mature enough and Flash Developer being a rather unfriendly bunch of batch scripts that one would have to edit for things to kind-of-work, IntelliJ IDEA (plus the Flash/Flex/AIR plug-ins) stepped in to provide a solution, any solution at all.

Cons:

I want to make it crystal clear that I mainly use IJ for AS3 / Flex / AIR development. I do not know whether its subpar behavior is rooted in those dedicated plugins. I did use IJ for developing some Node.js applications, and experience was a little better. But this review is ONLY about using IJ for AS3 / Flex / AIR development. I very much dislike pretty everything, but the worst are: - the build process: IJ does not do any work to ease SWC dependencies management; in a world where there are tools that analyze your code for imports and class instantiations and automatically match them against projects and libraries in your workspace (I build myself such a tool, it's name is SIRIUS and will be soon out on GitHub), IJ still wants you to add by hand 25+ dependencies. - SDK handling: as any Flex/AIR developer knows, AIR SDKs have to be overlaid on FLEX SDKs and this alone is a source for countless problems; add on top that SDKs are often shipped in incomplete form (*.jar and *.swc files have to be salvaged from older SDKs) and you understand how being able to quickly patch / swap / tinker with an AIR/Flex SDK and test it's in working condition could save the day. IJ maintains some long-life caching of file listings in every SDK you throw at it; this makes it practically impossible to alter an existing SDK and have the changes reflected. The only workaround I have been able to find was to rename the SDK, add it as a new SDK, and remove the older one. - indexi CHAR LIMIT HIT.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

My daily friend

Pros:

As a software engineer, I spend a large part of my day working with Intellij. The software offers features that simplify or improve my daily productivity, such as autocompletion, a very powerful debugger, efficient version management, unit test management and more. Intelij's interface is also a positive point: it's modern and customizable.

Cons:

On the other hand, Intellij is far from perfect; in my opinion, its biggest flaw lies in its performance. It's a fairly heavy piece of software that can quickly consume a lot of resources and block display, especially when indexing files. It's also a program that will require a bit of learning to make full use of its power.

nitheen
Software Developer in US
Computer Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great for a Developer

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love the way it has several themes it has and my favorite ones are the dark theme and contrast theme. sometimes changing themes helps boost coding experience. several plugins are available for integration with solar lint and many other useful testing and developer tools

Cons:

I feel constant version support should be made better

Efren
Software developer in Mexico
Computer Software, Self Employed

The best IDE for Java

Pros:

It’s really easy to start using it, compile and run becomes an task, you just have to worry about the logic. It even suggests best practices in the code which I think

Cons:

The community edition is great and you can do most of the things with it, but if you’re thinking on developing spring apps, you’ll need to pay for the additional plugins. It also may be difficult to start using all the extra helpful commands

Ramesh
Software Developer in US
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

IntelliJ increased my productivity

Comments: Overall IntelliJ is worth the investment for anyone or anyone company big and small. It drastically improves developer productivity. With keyboard shortcuts and an easy-to-use IDE, it is my favorite IDE of all.

Pros:

With all the plugins and features, IntelliJ is certainly easy to use and improves developer productivity.

Cons:

Often I suspect it uses a lot of memory. This IDE can be made a little more lightweight and use less memory. Also, it takes up a lot of space for cache for dependencies. IntelliJ should clean up older gradle version caches, and older project dependency caches. This will save many GBs of hard disk space and improve the overall speed of the IDE and the computer itself.

Shayan
Shayan
intern in France
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A program suitable for Java

5.0 last month New

Pros:

It is unlikely that you have coded with the Java programming language and have never used this program. If this program is not the best in its field, it is undoubtedly one of the best. I am grateful to the developers who have made it possible for students to use it for free.

Cons:

Although vscode is also produced by the same company, but in some cases it has better UX for similar things.

Alvaro
Software Developer in Italy
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Excellent smart editor for software development

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Smart autocomplete, real-time error detection, and contextual suggestions improve productivity. The interface is easy to use and designed to make application development as easy as possible. Provides support for different languages

Cons:

Although it offers a free Community Edition version, some of the more advanced features are only available in the Ultimate version, which has a cost. Can consume a significant amount of system resources since it is a powerful tool that requires adequate hardware.

Robert
Producer in US
Music, Self Employed

More Productivity For A Premium Price

Comments: In the end, the excellent workflow/UI and the focus on productivity far outweighs the cost and any minor quirks in tools. All things considered I believe it offers a significant value proposition as I've found myself (an only occasional programmer) to be much more productive with it than with competing products.

Pros:

Overall, the focus on productivity and workflow is my favorite aspect of it. I've used other JetBrains products and generally love their tools and the general workflow/way they layout their user interface. Compared to some of the more "What You See is What You Get" alternatives or IDEs that take a bit more customization to feel "right", I can say that the immediacy and convenience of JetBrain's approach to the workflow is excellence.

Cons:

As with other JetBrains products, for non-open-source projects you will be paying a premium price for their premium product. Also, there are a few edges that could be smoothed out in some of the View windows and the way they display errors. I think preferences regarding Tools, refactoring, and error reporting are slightly different for everyone but there were some things that took a little getting used to coming from Eclipse.

Osher
Software developer in South Africa
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Best all round Java IDE

Comments: The overall experience has been great and I will carry on using it at work for our projects. It helps me a lot to get the job done with its rich feature set, great code linter and plugins available and shortcuts. It will definitely be my go to IDE for Java development.

Pros:

I find it’s the best IDE all round that’s constantly updated with performance improvements and new features that help. I love that you can use a free version that’s extremely capable and buy the paid for version for some extra useful features and integration with other services and software like databases. Has a great marketplace for plugins and great interface and shortcuts to navigate and edit faster. It helps me code better with suggestions and navigate my code fast.

Cons:

I personally found it hard to get used to the built in git client as opposed to using a separate one. I also found that it can be slow for start-up on large projects but that is expected when it analyses your code and has improved with updates.

Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Review for IntelliJ

Comments: I am using IlluminationCloud extension with IntelliJ to create Salesforce features using Salesforce DX.

Pros:

It's a powerful one for development. It has all the extension to work on. Using this can develop, debug, deploy and test the product. Most of the tools are available to do the formatting, styling, copyright and pretty much everything that we need for development.

Cons:

Slow because of grasp more memory. Sometimes it very hard to reset the initial configuration.

Alternatives Considered: Visual Studio Code

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA: Not an easy Interface to do the same. Lack of help.

Switched From: Visual Studio Code

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA: Not an easy Interface to do the same. Lack of help.

Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Software Development Tool

Comments: * I have been uısing the IntelliJ IDEA for more than 10 years and all I can say after my bad days with Eclipse, I can say that IntelliJ really makes you love of software development.

Pros:

* It is easy and fast to make development with IntelliJ IDEA as a Java Developer * Its plugins are fast and easy to ease the development * Software development quality and efficiency is great and fast . If you have questions about IntelliJ, they help you as soon as possible. * It does not support only Java development.It also supports other language developments as well as Go, Phyton and other scripting languages as well.

Cons:

* It is expensive. If the company does not pay for that software, I do not believe that I will afford to use that software

Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The other half of any Java developer's brain

Comments: IDEA has been my go-to Java editor for school and work, and for good reason. Of all the Java IDEs out there, IDEA is the one that truly makes the 'integrated environment' part of 'IDE' a reality by giving you full control over your code -- rather than the other way around.

Pros:

When IntelliJ markets IDEA as 'the intelligent Java IDE', they aren't exaggerating. It has the best autocomplete of any IDE I've ever used, beating out the likes of Visual Studio with suggestions that are exactly what I need 99% of the time. But by far my favourite part of IDEA's intelligence are its code suggestions, which will tell you if you've made weird or inefficient choices with your code. This can range from telling you about an if-else statement that will never be true, to identifying anti-patterns that would have cost you down the line. The latter continuously impresses me with how insightful and specific the advice can get. Even looking beyond the intelligent part, IDEA was made first and foremost with Java developers in mind and it shows. I can't tell you how much time the code generators have saved me from writing boilerplate, and code refactoring works like a dream. I can't picture Java development getting any better than this.

Cons:

The most immediately frustrating thing about IntelliJ is its startup time. It's not abysmally slow, but in a world where editors like Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text exist with lightning-fast startup times, waiting for IDEA to boot up can be less-than-ideal. Many times, I've resorted to just opening up my Java files in Notepad for small edits because I couldn't be bothered to spend more time opening the IDEA than it would take to make the edit. The other thing that makes me reluctant to open IDEA from time-to-time is its resource intensity. I use a small laptop for most of my work, which is capable of running IDEA just fine... until I open up Firefox, Slack, and other programs I use on a daily basis. There have been more than a few times where I've had to close other windows or even IntelliJ itself because its resource usage was slowing my system down to a crawl.

Sanskriti
Sanskriti
Senior Software Engineer in Nepal
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

IntelliJ was a game changer at our desk.

Comments: We implemented intelliJ for java development at our desk. Its been almost 18 months since our team is working on Jetbrains intelliJ, and their support is outstanding. Jetbrains is innovating new things, and the UI progressively changes over time with much more improved features.
Whenever we are having problem, we are able to reach out to IntelliJ support, and get our issue solved as fast and prompted.

Pros:

IntelliJ IDEA is great for coding. IntelliJ is more than just an IDE, it gives the code completion as we type. If there's any error on the code, it gives the suggestion on what's wrong, and simply pressing 'alt+enter' we are able see the options to fix the error. Also, its easy to refactor code as we write it. With IntelliJ we are being able to implement interfaces, create methods and rename anything we code, extract variables, fields, methods and so on. Also, it supports quick fixes to our code and users are able to use basic, smart and hippie completion to minimize typing. IntelliJ has extensive support for integrating with version control systems, so the entire process of development such as testing & committing can be managed with ease using visualizations of repository. IntelliJ helps developers to stay in the flow, lets us focus on development, generates common codes and suggest sensible values, by which developers are able to debug and execute the code with ease. With its fully integrated environment, we don't need to switch from IDE to perform further development tasks, and it has been a great experience with IntelliJ environment, since we started using at our desk.

Cons:

Really nothing of note as cons. The only things that concerns me is the pricing. The community edition of IntelliJ offers basic features, though we needs further features to integrate with Java Eclipse or Java Enterprise, which requires a premium plan and is bit costly.

Bhavik
Software Engineer in India
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

An Intelligent IDE with lots of features

Comments: Our overall experience with IntelliJ Idea has been really satisfactory. This IDE is powerful and have all the required features. Debugging is helpful and search functionality is robust. If it can improve its memory management and performance on low end machines, it can be a ten on ten IDE.

Pros:

IntelliJ Idea is an excellent IDE with a great code editor and all the features a developer can need. It supports all the major programming languages one can think of and the debugging features are really helpful. Also, the code completion intelligence, called IntelliSense is really powerful and smart. Also, the inbuilt GIT support comes in very handy.

Cons:

The only thing we feel IntelliJ Idea should improve is its memory management, working on low configuration machines is really hard and requires a lot of efforts.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code

Switched From: Eclipse IDE

Samuel
Senior DBA in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 10,000+ Employees

Best Java IDE for developer

Comments: As my favorite IDE when coding Java, I think IntelliJ IDEA is smart and really improve my work quality. I have to admit that it is smart! While I am coding, IntelliJ thought proposes enhancements or choices, or cautions us when our code needs some consideration! I can utilize reviews to distinguish possible issues, and IntelliJ Thought likewise generally offers a remedy for this as well. I know people have a lot of thoughts on its cons such as “Not as great as eclipse” in terms of plug in varieties. Since my job role does not require me to use a lot plug ins, but I love the GUI and features of it. as a fairly new product with only 10 years, I think IntelliJ IDEA has completed a great job

Pros:

-Powerful integration capabilities: such as support for Git, Maven, Spring, etc. . .-The prompt function is fast and convenient.-The prompt function has a relatively wide range.-Useful shortcut keys and code templates-precise search

Cons:

1. A lack of plug-in creation. IDEA can only be described as a dwarf plug-in in comparison to Eclipse. There are now fewer than 400 plug-ins that have been formally announced, and many of them lack any useful content. It's possible that IDEA is too strong on its own.2. Only one project can be supported on the same page, which hinders development, especially for programmers who enjoy creating test processes to evaluate various techniques as they are being developed.3. A dearth of technical writing. There are currently relatively few technical articles and almost no technical assistance resources on the Internet.4. The amount of resources consumed is considerable. It basically takes more than 200M to construct a large and medium-sized J2EE project.

Noureddine
Noureddine
Write a Review for IntelliJ IDEA in Morocco
Program Development, Self Employed

IntelliJ IDEA Review

Pros:

IntelliJ IDEA provides a range of code analysis tools that help me identify potential bugs, errors, and other issues in my code. This includes code inspections, highlighting of syntax errors, and warnings, and makes it easy to navigate through my codebase with features like Go to Definition, Find Usages, and the ability to search for specific classes or methods.IntelliJ IDEA provides a suite of tools that help me refactor my code safely and quickly. This includes tools to rename variables and methods, extract code into methods or classes, and more, and offers advanced code completion and code generation features that can save me a lot of time while coding. It also provides context-sensitive suggestions and predictions and integrates with a variety of other tools and frameworks, including version control systems, builds tools, and testing frameworks. It also supports a wide range of programming languages, including Java, Kotlin, Python, and more.

Cons:

of my experience, IntelliJ IDEA can be resource-intensive, which means that it can slow down your system, especially if you're working with large codebases or complex projects, and IntelliJ IDEA can have a steep learning curve, especially for developers who are new to the IDE. This can make it challenging to get up and running quickly. While IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is free and open-source, the Ultimate Edition comes with a price tag that can be expensive for individual developers or small teams.I have reported occasional performance issues, including lag or freezing, which can be frustrating when working on time-sensitive projects.

Jugraj
Software Engineer in India

Best IDE for Software Development

Pros:

Intellij is one of the Best IDE available for Free. There is a long list of feature that make it a great tool for application development. It`s Editor user-friendly with a list of shortcuts to help developer move quickly between files and perform task without taking hand off the keyboard. It support Code Colouring that visually help a lot in writing efficient and effective code. But the most useful of all is the code completion. While working on a huge project mistakes are tend to be happen, like misspelled variable or function name etc. But with IDE that`s not the case. I not even need to type half of the name, simply by typing first 2-3 letters i can chose from the list for possibility. Another Heavily used feature is real-time code inspection. It help me correct more then half of the mistakes without going to execute and find. that saves my valuable time and effort. Built in VCS (git) is one of the easiest i have ever used. It allows me to visually differ two versions of same file and help me select which line of code from which version i want in my final file without removing the rest of the code which is very useful which testing patches and fix. With a vast library of plugins one can customise the IDE to there specific need. Support for dependencies resolving for a library and Different File format come handy.

Cons:

In my experience this tool is a great and must have requirement for a software . But sometimes having a huge list of functionality can be the downside also. In certain cases like working on a large file features like code colour styling, code completion, code inspection slow down editor's functionality. I encounters big amount of ram usage in such cases and need to manually collaborate it by switching off some of its functionality. Another is that code of its premium features. For a freelancers it is very costly to purchase the license and in the end the left looking for the alternatives.

Financial Services

The best IDE there is!

Comments: The best IDE in my opinion to develop Java, Python, Scala and Android applications

Pros:

IntelliJ is really intelligent. It supports Java and Python very well and it looks good doing it. Settings are arranged logically and cohesively (unlike Eclipse) and within a matter of few days, one will learn how to get around the IDE. Feature list is also pretty extensive. Built in FTP uploads of artifacts, column mode selection, multiple cursors for hyper edits and a pretty decent built in Git client. What's awesome is that it also includes Android Studio! The plugin ecosystem is also rich. There are plugins for almost everything. For e.g., there is a multi runner plugin that runs multiple build configurations at the click of a button. Scala plugin is pretty good!

Cons:

- This can be a memory hog sometimes - A little buggy sometimes as well. For example, in version 12, I found out the hard way that the IDE was not passing in the maven surefire and failsafe properties to Junit. Spent a bit of time trying to understand why the tests were failing even though everything was in the right place Another example was in v11. The IDE deleted my codebase! There is still a thread running on this topic on their forums and apparently, the problem still exists (though I have never experienced it in the newer versions) - Sold on a subscription which is not that great. However, since this is the software I use to make money, I guess it's ok. Nevertheless, I feel the subscription is on the expensive side.

Anik
Graduate Teaching Assistant in US
Computer & Network Security, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best IDE for Java Development

Comments: Overall, it was a great experiences of using IntelliJ IDEA for my application development. I did the course work and all assignment of JAVA course using this software. I am really satisfied with the overall performance and helpful resources of this application. Simply a great tool for developers.

Pros:

I did Java programming course during my undergrad life and I used this IntelliJ IDEA for Java programming. It helps me a lot to learn, use and implement Java coding easily. It has help file and good quality of video tutorials online to learn the way to use this software. In addition, it has prediction option to write java code faster than any software. It is easy to use and best in the current competitive market of softwares. Highly recommended to programmers addicted to Java and android application development.

Cons:

It is a very large softwares with lots of additional features, which is somehow an advantages of using it but I feel i get confused due to lots of options. Also need to add additional error messages while running codes to find the wrong in the code during compilation.

Javier
Javier
Desarrollador de software in Chile
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Heavy but Powerfull

Comments: I loved this software..The best ide that I has used.This software guide me to discover other interesting Jetbrain's softwareBut the versatility that this program offfer is really good

Pros:

All in one place.. IntelliJ have support for many programming languages. But for JAVA, it's one of the BEST SUITES that we can find.It have many tools like git control version, http request, handle multiple instances.We can configurate as many environment as we needs.Also, we have like a market place for pluginsEven a integrated DB MANAGER..It's very recomendated as a main IDE

Cons:

Handle all these tools can be complex. Because some times, to find a funcionality in the multiples options, could be dificult..The short cuts are a lifesaver but the learning curve is high.By the other hand, this software is not lightweight. All the fuatures has a price to pay

Trent
Student in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

The best Java IDE on the market

Comments: IntelliJ IDEA is the single best Java IDE on the market. I love the tab auto-completes and suggestions that can totally speed up and ease development. I mean, I could type out System.Out.Println() in just 8 keystrokes with S-tab-.-O-tab-.-P-tab. That's one example, but nearly 100% of the development experience is like that. The tab autocompletes with suggestions (so it won't let you tab .toString on an int, for example) is a lifesaver when it comes to development.
Beyond that, IntelliJ will (almost) always automatically import whatever package you need instead of having to search for it yourself. Most of the time this will come up with the class name appearing read with a little message over it saying, "Import this package" and with a simple "Option-enter" (on a Mac, I'm not sure what the Windows shortcut is), the package will instantly be imported to the top of the file.
Running code in the IDE is seamless and (generally) helpful error messages and a built-in debugger make the whole experience so much easier.
I love IntelliJ IDEA and would definitely be willing to pay to use it on my own now that I'm not in school anymore.

Pros:

- Super easy to use interface - Automatic generation of common methods like getters, setters, constructors, and toString() - Tab auto-completes and suggestions - Clear and understandable error messages (well, most of the time) - Free licenses for students - Both light and dark themes - (Mostly) automatic import of packages

Cons:

- Cost if not a student/educator. There's a 30-day free trial and beyond that, the licenses are subscription-based. They're not super cheap (I think around $100 for a year) but it's not a terrible price for an amazing product, especially if you're going to be developing in Java a lot.

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best IDE out there

Pros:

IntelliJ is widely considered one of the best integrated development environments (IDEs) for Java, and for good reason. The tool offers a range of advanced features and capabilities that make it an ideal choice for Java developers of all levels. It offers excellent code completion and refactoring tools, which can help developers write cleaner, more efficient code. The IDE can suggest code completions as developers type, and it can also automatically refactor code to make it more readable and maintainable.

Cons:

IntelliJ can be somewhat resource-intensive, and it may not be the best choice for developers working on older or less powerful hardware. Additionally, while the tool offers excellent Java support, it may not be the best choice for developers working on other languages or technologies.