• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.4 /5

About Slack

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It's real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Learn more about Slack

Showing 20,584 reviews

Liam M.
People Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2019

"The Business Communication Tool of it's Time"

Comments: Honestly, this software just doesn't have competition at it's level and they have a stranglehold on this market, as they deserve. Between Spark, Skype, and Hangouts, they're really the Nickelodeon to Disney. Although they'll stick around, with the ability for them to add so many integration possibilities by not only their own development but other companies wanting to allow their own software's workflow to somehow run through Slacks platform. It's just a simple platform with so many functionalities and possibilities.

Pros: Availability. Simplicity. Instant transferability between devices. Customizability (yes, it's a word). One of my favorite pieces though is the ability to integrate so many other applications into and out of it. Get to that more in a moment...

Cons: This is petty but one of the largest issues I run into is when in the office and have Slack running on both my iPhone and my MacBook, sometimes I miss important, timely messages due to device priority. If the laptop screen is still open and I'm only a room or two over in another meeting, my phone will not receive the messages from the laptop until my screen times out and the rests.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2019
Taylor A.
Marketing Director
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/08/2019

"A good product with potential"

Comments: Overall, my experience has been positive. As mentioned, there are many aspects that are very easy to use. Slack works well for our management team who is always active on it and focused on certain projects. However, for our general customer service team, it is less effective.

Pros: I like how easy the software is to use. It's very intuitive for anyone who has used a messaging app before. Another feature that is valuable for us is the ability to add employees to only certain channels. We have a diverse team that doesn't need to be involved in every conversation.

Cons: I wish that some of the pro level features were available for the free version. It is cost prohibitive for us to pay for the pro version. For example, we often run into an issue when trying to search for things that are far back in a channel. Slack only allows us to go back so far. Therefore, we lose important communication. Also, the nature of the Slack channels allows things to get easily lost. As team members, comment and change the subject important pieces of information get buried before everyone sees it.

• Reviewed on 23/08/2019
Candice C.
Digital Marketing Expert
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"My busy life wrapped in one app!"

Comments: Slack is our main source of communication. The private channels allows me to sort the different departments all in one app versus a ton of emails and secondary chat apps all day. Our conversations are easily organized in threads and imagery and other files are also saved.

Pros: I love that everything is integrated. All of my appointments and "to-do's" and even small reminders are populated this this app. It keeps my entire team in the loop of what's upcoming or currently happening within our organization.

Cons: You will need a techy to help you set everything up to get the best use. If you want to automate certain tasks, or integrate secondary systems you should have a tech person help you set things in place the correct way.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020
Matt W.
Senior Data Systems Manager
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/12/2020

"Great communication tool"

Comments: We have loved it. It has become the primary (almost exclusive) means of intra-department communication for our IT team.

Pros: I love pretty much everything about Slack. I love the ability to easily create new private and public channels; the ability to create conversation threads; the ability to pin comments; the huge selection of app integrations; the customizable Slackbot responses (we have had a lot of fun with this one); dark mode; the ability to quickly and easily share files with other members of the Slack workspace; the awesome Slack call feature; the ability to quickly access multiple Slack workspaces by adding them to the left sidebar; the native rich-text editor for enriching comments (including the code block option, which has been hugely useful for us); and the ease of management. We have found Slack to be a tremendously useful communication and collaboration tool for our organization.

Cons: I don't have a lot of complaints about Slack. One small annoyance is the truncated "Direct messages" list on the left side. This list displays team members to whom you have recently sent a direct message. However, it would be more useful if it was just a scrolling list of ALL team members (alphabetized), maybe even with a quick search box at the top, so you could quickly send a direct message to anyone on the team, and not just those with whom you have had a recent direct message conversation. That's really it in terms of cons. It is a great tool that has become indispensable for us.

• Reviewed on 01/12/2020
George P.
Chief Technology Officer
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2020

"Slack is not Slacking for your Business"

Comments: We believe Slack deserves a 9/10. There is more interaction on this platform than any other platform I am apart of! Wish they had fixed the group call features better! Maybe an investment in cloud?

Pros: Slack gives users and business the ability to communicate on a platform that doesn't feel to formal like Microsoft teams and it great for the Gen Z/ Mellinial generation of workers. This is importanat because I believe flow of work is also correlated to work habbits. The user experience is flawless for chat and it also create the ability to easily make channels with persmissions like flipping light switch.

Cons: I think one of the cringiest problems with slack is the inability of having a lightweight screenshare and the ability to not have dropped calls. There are many scenarios where we had clients or even our own team meetings struggling to have everyone on the call in sync. It has been a pain so we ended up using Zoom for group calls. We wish Slack didn't have this problem in the first place.

• Reviewed on 29/11/2020
John S.
Business Development Manager
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2020

"There's Everything Else, Then There's SLACK"

Comments: We were having to find a way of maintaining connectivity as the company went into a fully remote work environment. Prior to COVID 19 we were heavily dependent on in person communication to get tasks completed and communication organized. Post COVID we've actually increase our productivity in task completion and maintained or increased out teams communication and morale through the features of Slack. Without it out company would certainly have had a bigger negative impact from COVID, now we're not just surviving, we're thriving!

Pros: Mobile and desktop notifications, specific channels to tailor communication based on the audience, having a log history to lock back on, easily sharing files, integrations that make workflows easy, increasing productivity and connectivity with remote teams, creating a culture that cares

Cons: Nothing overly stands out as something that isn't to like. There's so many customizations and personalized controls that give the users the level of interaction that they want and need. Slack continues to set the bar.

• Reviewed on 12/11/2020
Finn R.
Accountant
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2020

"Easy software for managing various team related activities, free version comes with limited feature"

Comments: Very easy to use app and quite a life saver when it comes to various team internal activities. However, the features included in the free version are quite limited and the price for the full version can easily be considered too much especially for startups, smaller companies or very big teams. All in all, I believe that Slack is a good and really useful app but it´s value, what you get for the money you spend could still be improved.

Pros: Possibility to have 1:1 discussions with colleagues. Valuable when dealing with a task together. Group Collaboration - The capability to bring an undertaking together and share with a team. Gathering Chat - The ability to have one zone/space where the group teams up, shares thoughts, and cooperates to convey issues. Bot Integration - The ability to incorporate different apparatuses and bots that can make the day simpler. Capacity to integrate web conferencing devices such as Zoom, Webex, Teams etc. Able to make plans for the day, track time, and so on Oversee a Team - Great approach to deal with a group that is working distantly in remotely geographic areas. I am especially fond of how easy and respectful the communication with other team members is. Practically all different Saas suppliers are integrated which permits the user to do practically all activities inside the Slack. The Advanced Search History is another extraordinary component for group correspondence Channels are keeping correspondence simpler inside the team or with non-team members.

Cons: Some of the time the ´´Search in History´´ function does not work as it is supposed to. However, this is the case with most visiting instruments that occasionally you have to look up one small step at a time to discover the set of experiences you are searching for. Video and voice meeting actually need to improve. anticipating utilizing Slack just as opposed to having different programming introduced The by far greatest limitation of the app is that the free version has a constraint of messages that can be saved, which incorporates the documents that are sent. Slack's paid arrangement is extravagant for new companies and organizations having low income/large groups.

• Reviewed on 06/11/2020
Nelson kipchirchir S.
Regional Coordinator
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"The best collaborative app."

Comments: As a business, we benefit most from Slack in terms of unified communication. Slack brings all the teams in the organizations together by collating the various channels they use and more so their conversations are stored very well in a database which later on they can be searched and used or viewed any time.

Pros: What I personally like most about slack is its ability to be easily integrated with other already existing external services. The app is so powerful with built-in external and external sharing options which give it the ability to share files with anyone.
The application also has a read state synchronization between a phone and a PC, in that when you check a message on your PC the phone also automatically checks the message as read.
I also I like that fact that they have Slack mobile apps for both Android and iOS,
The ability to share documents in all formats is also a plus

Cons: It is very hard to change invites only channel to public and also it takes a lot of time when it comes to channel clean up since one needs to access the archives in web interfaces to delete the messages which sometimes takes ages especially in channels with so many messages.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2020
Adam C.
Marketing Manager
Internet, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2020

"Makes it easier to work with other people & teams"

Comments: I spend most of my day in and out of Slack and it helps to keep things moving quickly. No need for long winded and formal emails or bulky ticketing systems with Slack around.

Pros: I like how easy Slack is to use. It’s as simple as you would expect an instant messenger app to be, but it has so many more features than that are just as easy to use! I can start a zoom call with a simple command, I get a message to remind me I have a meeting about to start and I can keep up to date with things happening across the company at a glance without having to trawl through email threads constantly.

Cons: I haven’t come across something I particularly like the least about the software as of yet. One thing I have tried to do but been unable is to quote a particular part of somebody’s message. Sometimes it’s useful to refer back to something myself or someone else in a conversation said, but the only option I know of is the forward/share message function. It would be good to have a simple ‘quote’ feature which allowed you to quote all of or a section of the message. But this isn’t a fault, only a potential improvement on an already great product.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2020
Daniel H.
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2020

"Slack -- Great for Startup companies or enterprises"

Comments: Collaboration problems solved. Excellent plugins, and even writing your own (for example have a Git commit hook setup, that shows any commit, and also, any deploys to staging and production, so the entire team can see what is happening.

Pros: Very easy to share files, and have separate conversation threads (IRC style), with multiple members of your team. You can create channels to and invite members to, to discuss a particular topic -- such names of different projects, or groups within the company. Really allows you to organize your thoughts and help manage your teams projects and tasks, as far as communication.

Cons: While it offers great collaboration tools, the actual project and task management is kind of lacking. Even though we use Trello and Jira (and you can have Trello and Jira plugins for Slack, but they don't really integrate into the UI), I wind up assigning and following up on tasks from within Slack. For example, i will message a developer and ask them to fix a list of bugs, or post 5 or 6 detail fixes/feature requests, after reviewing a new branch on staging. The problem is that you then send subsequent messages on that channel, and the tasks get buried. Then you have to scroll up, and find the task, if you want to review. There is no way for the developer to mark the task as done, or for me to easily see if they did it. Sometimes, I will have to scroll back into conversation thread for weeks, to find the 5 or 6 requests I made to the dev, and then re-ask the dev if he completed them. Now, this may be a nit unfair, since Slack is not a project management tool, however, it lends itself VERY EASILY to being one, since it natural to assign tasks within Slack. The slack team could very easily build tasks as a native feature in Slack, and make collaborating on tasks and PM much easier, as it's too time consuming to hop into Jira each time a bug is found -- I simply don't have time.

Christopher W.
Creative Director
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2020

"Why We Use Slack For Our Start-Up"

Comments: Slack has been a great addition to our daily work ethic. Being able to use it on a mobile device as well as desktop is key and it has become an integral part of splitting up our tasks. I really couldn't recommend it more.

Pros: The overall ease of this software is superb. Every one of our team members found it easy to use immediately.

Cons: The one thing that bugs me is the return button. If you are writing a message then if I want to use a new line by pressing return Slack actually sends the message. So I then have to go in and edit my message. Return in Slack is another key. You would think would be easy to remember but then every other product has the return key used as a new line so I'm always having to edit my messages of they are spaced out.

Nicholas M.
Chief Flight Instructor
Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2020

"Great for charitable organizations (because it can be free). Powerful. But expensive!"

Comments: Push notifications and alerts have been helpful. We are able to get important information out to our team very quickly, and we are able to "thread" the information so that only certain groups or certain topics are discussed in certain "channels" or "threads."

Pros: Slack is made free for basic functions for charitable organizations. For this reason it can be a great option for charitable organization. It has powerful features, including video conferencing, file sharing, phone and web app integration, and file sharing. It also has cross-platform integration allowing connectivity between multiple different products, including Google and Microsoft products and IFFFT.

Cons: It is not cheap at all for even a small organization (unless your organization qualifies for a free subscription). There are limits to the number of users in a video conference.

• Reviewed on 08/09/2020
Compliance Training Coordinator
Telecommunications, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2020

"Great Business Continuity Tool"

Comments: It has been a great experience using Slack. It is a valuable tool and I really like how we are able to collaborate as a team and make it seem as if we are still working together in the office.

Pros: 1:1 Chat - Ability to have 1:1 conversations with team members. Useful when working on a project together.
Team Collaboration - Ability to bring a project together and share with a team.
Group Chat - Ability to have one area/space where the team collaborates, shares ideas, and works together to communicate issues.
Bot Integration - Ability to integrate various tools and bots that can make the day easier. Ability to integrate to web conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex, Teams. Ability to create to-do lists, track time, etc.
Manage Team - Great way to manage a team who is working remotely in various geographic locations.

Cons: Still trying to work around our SSO integration - This is mostly an internal bug we are trying to work on, but it would be nice if we can make Slack to work for a single sign on experience.

• Reviewed on 04/08/2020
Danique T.
Cinematographer, photographer, copywriter
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2020

"Best Software for Small Teams"

Comments: I love Slack. I wouldn’t change Slack for any other chat app at work. For other situations other software such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger work just fine, but nothing beats Slack in the workplace. The customizability, the search options, the file sharing, the starring of messages, the pinning of messages, it all just works so well for the workplace.

Pros: What I like the most about Slack and what differentiates it from other chat apps in my opinion is the customizability. About two years ago my team decided to adopt a chat app just for work, and a colleague suggested Slack. He set it up for us where our Google calendar is connected, our Asana, and our Servicedesk. We have three different channels, one for communication, one for calendar notifications, and one for Servicedesk notifications. This reduces so much clutter and we can easily find what we are looking for. Every time anyone adds or removes anything from our shared Google calendar Slack notifies us. We also get a notification at 8am every morning with what’s on our calendar for that day, and we get a notification two hours before a calendar event. Whenever any other departments adds anything requests for our department through Servicedesk we get a notification with request description in Slack as well. Also, if anyone in our own team adds anything to our to-do list in Asana we get a notification in Slack, and if we’ve added something to someone else’s to-do list in Asana and that person finishes it, same story. The customization options are endless.

Cons: What I like the least is that in the free version there is a limit with how many messages you can send. So far we’ve been able to continue communicating with each other but I think that old messages get deleted, so if I use the search option to find a file that was shared or a message, and it was too long ago, I will simply have lost it. But I guess I would just have to pay for it. They have to make their money somehow.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2020
Cole R.
Operations Specialist
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/04/2020

"Slack is Much More Than Just Messaging"

Comments: Simply put, Slack solved the issue of under communicating within our business. The software added a new medium that allows employees to solve problems faster and complete tasks sooner by eliminating unnecessary in-person discussions and remain connected even when remote. Working from home continues to become more and more popular and Slack has now become absolutely vital in allowing that to be done. We're able to chat, phone and video call, screen share, file upload and more! We are very pleased with how useful the software has proven to be.

Pros: Slack's list of pros far outweigh the software's cons. Most importantly, Slack is extremely simple to install and learn! Everything about the user-face is intuitive and looks very similar to tradition messaging applications. Certainly, the messaging functionality of Slack is the greatest pro. The software is available for all computer devices and smartphone devices which allows everyone to stay connected whenever and wherever they need to. Another tremendously impactful pro is the screen sharing function; this is critical to successfully working from numerous offices or from home. It allows us to walk through problems as they arise and creatively collaborative on visuals. Lastly, Slack has the ability to integrate with a users Google Drive which makes file uploading and sharing seamless!!! I could go on but there are ultimately some of the greatest takeaways.

Cons: One of the greatest cons many employees have identified is the software's nagging "unread" notification. A new/unread message badge will appear on both the smartphone and computer applications for a message that has often times already been read. This occurs when the incoming message is received while the application is already open on a device. For instance, like many of us do, I keep the my application open in one of my dual monitors (meaning it is open at all times) and if I have the chat open to Sally's chat and Sally messages me, I will have a new message notification until I click "Mark as read" within our already visible chat. It's a rather small con but it sometimes creates confusion.

• Reviewed on 01/04/2020
Todor T.
Technical Support Engineer
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2020

"Almost perfect"

Comments: Marvelous. Easy to use and navigate. Best chat since we switched from Google Hangouts. Does sometime do funny things with the notifications from missed messages, but it is not what I would deem as unpleasant or unsatisfactory.

Pros: It is easy to navigate and customize it.. For example, I was happy that I could disable notifications on my phone in separate channels, while my computer at home did receive them. Also, the dark theme is a big bonus for us night-shifters. Before that opening the application during the night would cause some eye pain.

Cons: The startup. I get that it wants to show missed messages while not online and what not, but taking me back pages and pages and load even more messages while doing so is frustrating. I don`t think it has an option to not do that. Also, on the Windows workstation at home, it does slow down a boot up with at least half of a second. Gladly we use Linux at the job, so it`s not a real issue.

• Reviewed on 25/02/2020
Aaron P.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2020

"Great for communicating with coworkers and friends!"

Comments: I actually do not use Slack much in a business environment, but in a personal setting for a book club. We transitioned to primarily using Facebook for communication to Slack, as not all members of the book club are on Facebook. Slack has made communication a lot easier and fully centralized.

Pros: Slack is really easy to setup and provides a great solution for secure communication b/w coworkers and even friends. The interface, while slightly confusing at first, is easy to learn. In addition, it is easy to create different channels - as to have multiple conversations on multiple topics without those conversations overlapping. There are both mobile and desktop clients, and they are cross platform. There is even a web interface so you don't have to install a local client. Finally, you can't argue with the price as it starts with free version that is suitable for many use-cases.

Cons: Slack utilizes various shortcuts and tags to implement features (such as adding a poll to a conversation), but these tags are not obvious and usually need to be looked up.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2020
Rick B.
Senior Pastor
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Slack for church teams"

Comments: Overall, it was good. There were just minor irritations that we wanted to see if we could find another product that offered a similar experience but also for free or discounted since we are a church with limited budget.

Pros: ease of use. Liked that you weren't tied to same domain email. Liked that you could have unlimited channels for dialogue. Liked that you could customize many areas like colors, pictures and even emojis. Liked that they had a decent free version. It's a good, solid product.

Cons: The push notifications were inconsistent. At times, messages were posted without any team notifications.
The storage limits for channels were limited even with the free version.
Was looking for a tasking option built in. The integrations with other apps was a little bit wonky for us.
Wished it had a "read" option where we could see which team members had seen or read the message.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
Software Consultant
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2020

"Nice messaging platform"

Comments: Overall slack is a nice messaging platform and really helps the individuals while working in a project of multiple team members. It helps in sharing of text messages and files and also has calling features and major third party integrations which makes it a complete package.

Pros: I found slack a powerful tool to communicate with the other team members in real time. It has better voice quality on call, large size file sharing, one-to-one and group messaging. It also allows to star the messages, which is really helpful to bookmark the important information from the chat. The features such as wrapping the text in code snippet and selecting the file type (for example, html, java, js, etc.) is beneficial for developers. It provides APIs to create custom applications and also has an app directory from where users can install out-of-the-box integrations for Github, google drive and other third parties.

Cons: There are few features which are missing, for example, whenever a user is removed from the workspace, no notification is being sent back to the user. Also, the slackbot could be improved, most of the times, it just provides the search results from the slack help directory. It is not easy to switch workspaces. One has to close the workspace completely and then switch back to the another workspace.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2020
Rocky K.
Course Building Technologist and Business Coach on the Education Team
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2019

"Emails dropped dramatically, and team communication is at a all time high."

Comments: The CEO used to send giant massive emails to various team members. 45 responses later, it gets forwarded to everyone else. Now, the CEO communicates all of his ideas via Slack, the team picks it apart and makes modifications, and then it's only 1 single email that identifies the project outline.

Pros: It's really easy to get started. A user signs up, gets welcomed, and they can immediately be productive. You can even become a super Slack user and learn all of it's features within an hour. Threads and Direct Messages have changed our we communicate. There's a lot of integrations to simplify your life. Calendar apps to remind you of dates. Not to mention easy to develop bots for automation.

Cons: Slack is a tool, and if a company fails to identify the ground rules, it can be useless. The organizations that dislike using slack often have not defined rules around using it. For example: messaging people at 10pm isn't a problem - as long as you're okay with not getting a response. Another is passing communications to the right channels - dumping everything into General can cause message overload. It can get very pricey with a large team.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2019
Margy W.
Legal Assistant/Executive Assistant
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2019

"Remote working? You'll LOVE "the Slack.""

Comments: As described above, slack helps me communicate with my colleagues, both professionally and personally. It does so with few glitches, quietly, appealingly, and seamlessly. Slack has helped me develop closer relationships with members of my teams, as well as reach out and develop relationships with colleagues with whom I don't usually interact. That said, the meat and potatoes is this: slack keeps me in touch with my teams even though we work in different places, in different time zones, and at different times. It helps us stay in touch, keep friendly communication open, and it allows us to easily share documents and truly collaborate.

Pros: Slack is a MUST for remote workers. The ease of setup makes it fantastic. The ease of use makes it phenomenal. The ability to collaborate and work together, to chat and have water cooler talk when your team all work in separate locations, is priceless. One thing that I appreciate: slack allows you to customize your away times and notification snoozes. It's a really pleasant experience, and its notifications are similarly "unfrustrating." There's nothing quite like being interrupted by an annoying noise or a badge popping up somewhere in your periphery when you're focusing on something difficult, only to be totally distracted. I also appreciate that you can bypass snooze settings for those moments where urgency is actually necessary (hint: it never is ;) ). Next: I appreciate that slack doesn't make sharing documents needlessly complicated - why add extra bells and whistles you don't want or need? It's easy, collaborative communication and document sharing for people who want it. The best part: slack keeps me in touch with my colleagues. I know that sounds stupid, since it is a COMMUNICATION TOOL, but it really does. It keeps our lines of communication open, obviously, for discussing work projects and tasks, planning and checking in, etc. Above that, though, using slack also means we work on building our interpersonal relationships, meaning we become better at communicating with one another over time. I really appreciate that. Thank you, slack!

Cons: Honestly, I cannot think of anything I dislike about slack. I guess if I had to grouse about something, it would be that the "generic" icons (when you don't upload your own photo) have changed a few times, and I liked the original ones best. Can I just add that if that is my only complaint, they must be on to something?

• Reviewed on 19/11/2019
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
Insurance, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2019

"Robust Project Collaboration Tool"

Comments: My team uses Slack to collaborate on web analytics, web apps and web design projects in an agile style of project management versus waterfall. So, we can make enhancements to analytics and design in an incremental fashion and avoid doing lots of changes in one big release. This ensures maximum development work done with less errors. Our overall experience with Slack has been smooth which results in completing more projects successfully to meet stakeholders' needs in less time and with less mistakes.

Pros: Slack offers channel creation capability which has helped my team collaborate efficiently on specific projects such as analytics. We are able to share questions and files around code changes for analytics enhancements. Once an update is about to be made to existing code, our developers can reach out to the business analyst and get more clarifications on his analytics requirements. Whenever there is a new notification sent within the analytics channel, the business analyst will receive an email update so he can respond right away. Other users of the analytics channel, can also jump into the conversation, if needed.

Cons: To get maximum benefit from Slack, I feel its users always need to have the Slack app open in their smart phone or laptop. Since I also use Gmail and Google Hangout to collaborate, it's challenging to respond to messages in Slack right away, when I am also chatting in Google Hangout or checking my emails in Gmail. If Slack can be integrated more seamlessly into Gmail as a chat window so I can see latest Slack messages within Gmail itself, it will make my office life more productive. I also feel Slack is meant for developers and project managers who have technical background and not for non-technical business users or managers. So, many business side users are left out of the Slack world and need another way to communicate with IT. It will be great if Slack tool is made more business friendly to increase adoption.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2019
Carlos fred C.
System Administrator
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/11/2019

"Slack: a good business instant message application"

Comments: My experience with Slack has been really good.
Slack helps me a lot on my daily activities and even more when I'm working from a remote location or inspecting something and need to interact with our team at the main office.

Pros: Slack is easy to use and its interface is very similar to other IM applications we have been using for years.
That makes the transition from whatever IM software currently in use to Slack quick and smooth.
In our company, nobody needed to be trained to use Slack and users went well with the transition process.
Slack allows users to customize their names, profile picture, and current status.
It's also possible to send messages to individuals, groups of people, and into channels.
Users most commonly send text messages but they have the option to send screen captures, pictures, and files in general at their own convenience.
A very useful resource in my opinion is the ability to create shared channels where you can add people from outside your organization as well as users from other Slack organizations.
With this feature, you can create a support channel with a service provider and have quick interaction with them, for example.

Cons: I don't have too much complaints about Slack.
One of them is that as an Administrator, I believe that the management interface is a bit confusing.
Sometimes it takes me a while to remember certain basic operations because Slack has its own way of having that done.
Also, I had issues with some of my users a couple of times because of bugs with Slack application.
The last I remember would freeze half of the user's screen so nothing shown in that area was clickable of selectable.
Closing and reopening Slack would temporarily solve the problem.
I contacted Slack support and they confirmed that as a known issue and that would be fixed soon with a software update.

• Reviewed on 11/11/2019
Ankush K.
Engineer
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2019

"Slack Review"

Comments: It's one of the coolest apps I've tried, I'm glad I got a chance to switch from Skype.

Pros: It's best made for any type of communication chat, sharing files (pdfs, doc, xlx), code etc. It has some cool features which I use every day like set reminders, easy integration with other apps like Datadog/Airflow to set alerts/notification for your product. Search option is really amazing where you can search for text, word or pdf file. The other options are to make Alias which is important I think when you don't want to notify the whole channel and just type @Alias rather than @here.

Cons: The only issue I had with it is that it freezes sometimes on my laptop, my chat windows on my phone do not remain in sync with chat windows on the laptop like with my Hazy memory if I'm talking to someone on phone and don't remember the name of person I won't be able to get back to him from my laptop. I also use its free version which I kind of doesn't like as it only stores 10k messages. So I guess the recent contacts/conversation option might need some enhancements for better user experience. Also, intoroducing some Calendar feature would be great in future.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2019