Emails dropped dramatically, and team communication is at a all time high.

Reviewed on 07/12/2019
Rocky K.
Course Building Technologist and Business Coach on the Education Team
Higher Education, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The CEO used to send giant massive emails to various team members. 45 responses later, it gets forwarded to everyone else. Now, the CEO communicates all of his ideas via Slack, the team picks it apart and makes modifications, and then it's only 1 single email that identifies the project outline.

Pros: It's really easy to get started. A user signs up, gets welcomed, and they can immediately be productive. You can even become a super Slack user and learn all of it's features within an hour. Threads and Direct Messages have changed our we communicate. There's a lot of integrations to simplify your life. Calendar apps to remind you of dates. Not to mention easy to develop bots for automation.

Cons: Slack is a tool, and if a company fails to identify the ground rules, it can be useless. The organizations that dislike using slack often have not defined rules around using it. For example: messaging people at 10pm isn't a problem - as long as you're okay with not getting a response. Another is passing communications to the right channels - dumping everything into General can cause message overload. It can get very pricey with a large team.

An extensive chatroom: ending useless email discussions

Heidi G.
Membership Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, this is an easy and helpful chatroom for your work. It stops your emails from piling up, and you can ignore back-and-forth conversations with coworkers that would have clogged your email otherwise. It leaves room for both work and play related conversations, and the instant messaging feature is extremely helpful.
I can send links or attachments in the chat without trying to text from my phone or send an awkward,informal email. I can instantly communicate to my coworkers! And in a day and age of emoji's, I don't feel guilty about adding "haha" or "smiley emoji" in my Slack message. It all feels informal and quick, so why bother with the prestigious voice of an email?
Slack is fun for me, which is why I favor it over other communication styles. It also allows you to download an app where you can send messages via. your phone. It helps you ask questions on the go without needing to give your personal cell number to a coworker you might not want to have it... Very helpful.
I would recommend this product.

Pros: Have you ever been annoyed by your email inbox filling up with a conversation between coworkers? You get all the notifications piling up in your inbox, and you're wondering if you will have time to filter through the parts of the conversation that matter. Well! Look no further, because IF you can convince all your staff to use slack, it significantly decreases email chatter (which I found to be a huge relief)!
At my work, I can have instant messaging with any staff. I use the desktop version, so the notifications pop up at the bottom of my screen- allowing me to preview the message.
We even have a section called "just for fun" where we can add any tidbits we find interesting to a separate channel. It keeps up workforce morale without distracting from any tasks.
Also, it allows me to filter important questions from unimportant questions. If my coworkers have an urgent matter, they will come to my door. If it isn't urgent, they will slack me.
On a side note, I love that you can add gifs to your conversation. It keeps things lighthearted and entertaining.

Cons: Our team uses Asana, which doesn't have a chat feature, and I was hoping to make Slack that chat feature . You can add the app of Asana to Slack, but it isn't as intuitive to use. Sometimes the commands get confusing. There is a lot of " / asana " and you have to send the message before you can see the options of a result. It makes me paranoid that every time I send a message, they are getting backslashes everywhere! But those complications only come when you install apps to Slack. Everything else is intuitive and easy to use.

A firm favorite to help your business thrive

Sue B.
Digital Designer
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been using Slack since early days ...it's amazing. I love that the developers pledged to keep the free plan available, to help startups and small businesses – and that the new owners are honoring that pledge. I have enjoyed creating accounts for a number of my clients over the years. It's great that all our conversations are in one place, sorted by category and that conversations can be exported. As a member of several workspaces I love being able to navigate between them so easily. Finally, it's a real boon to have a robust search facility to locate snippets of text or shared documents that would have been hard to find on other platforms.

Pros: Slack is the only communication app that I always have open, no matter what. What I like most is the fantastic UI. The design is great "out of the box", but the real bonus is being able to customize it with your logo and brand color palette. I love being able to set up an account for a client and give them a color link that applies their branding to their desktop app with one click.

Cons: Navigating set up and preferences is clunky. Some features are hard to find, especially the custom branding, which is a shame as it's such a lovely feature. Once you find the right page, the process is a cinch! To change the colors: click on the tiny arrow to the right of the workspace name to get the dropdown menu. Choose "Preferences", NOT "Customize Slack" (that opens up a web page where you can load your own icons etc). In the preference menu select "Themes". Scroll down to the bottom to access the custom feature, where you can enter the exact Hex color references or pick colors you fancy. (Pay attention to contrast of text against background). Copy the line of code from the box to share the same values with others on your team (just paste it into a message). All they need to do is click on it to apply the colors to their desktop app.

Great for Teams no matter where they are!

Reviewed on 05/12/2019
Head of IT Division
Printing, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Slack has really impacted the way our team works. One of the reasons we looked at Slack was to improve collaboration between team members who aren't in the same location at our campus or happen to be working remotely. We had hoped to get the whole company using it. Unfortunately, most non-technical teams couldn't get a grasp on how to integrate it into their workflows. We wound up integrating Slack into our JIRA Help Desk instance and that was the magic we needed! Better SLA times. Better follow up, better follow through and better communication. Slack replaced email for a lot of quick messages and being able to pin files and messages with important information made it easier than ever to keep everyone in the know and not locked away in an inbox! Our team loves Slack and we're always looking for new ways to use it.

Pros: Slack is easy to use and simple to integrate with other products. My team uses it not only for Help Desk Support request notifications, but also for group conversations on projects.

Cons: There isn't a lot that I don't like about Slack. If I'm going to nitpick, it's not that easy to explain how to use something like Slack for the non-technical / non-tech savvy user. One of our biggest issues was adoption outside of our software development team. While Customer success stories are great, a walk-through scenario would go a long way to helping give users ideas about how they can use it on a day-to-day basis.

It's changed the way we communicate!

Heather R.
Content Manager
Events Services, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: As I said, it's changed the way we communicate. This is especially important for our company that's not only split between two main offices in different locations but now also has remote employees across four additional states. Slack helps us stay connected to the teammates we rarely see in person, allowing us to build friendships and maintain an awesome company culture. It also helps our entire team stay informed on everything that's happening within the company, from customer service to development.

Pros: Before Slack, our team primarily communicated through email and one-on-one chat services. This caused a lot of miscommunication and wasted time going back and forth between people, passing on information, etc. Using Slack took away all of that. Being able to chat through channels allows us to communicate with groups of people at one time so everyone has access to discussions that might apply to them. We also really value the video chat feature because we have several remote employees that you can talk to face to face with a click of a button. Which is far better than having to go open some separate video chat app just to make a phone call.

Cons: Slack can be a little "noisy" for some people, but there are ways around that, so I don't really consider it a bad thing. It's just up to each user to figure out how to make Slack work best for them. We've had some complaints within our team about the new text formatting, most specifically our engineers that preferred doing it on their own and find the new user-friendly format to actually be a hindrance. They'd really like for that to be a feature that each user to choose to enable or not.

Slack is a great collaboration tool for our team, improves communication and productivity.

Kevin W.
Software Engineer
Gambling & Casinos, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am very happy of using it as a main communication tool at work. And I have been using it for a few years now. Every colleague I worked with, they all like it. I hope slack keep up the good work and make more neat features for us all.

Pros: Slack is a team communication tool, it very well categories the different processes in different channels, restrict the conversation is relevant to the channel and everyone who join that channel can collaboratively contribute to the topics. It also provides a neat feature call thread, which you can start a discussion under a message and solve issues with that person. It reduces the distractions from the channels and help other members concentrate on the topics they care about. You can also integrate automatic messages from other apps, softwares, e.g. we implemented the gitlab automation messages in the developers channel, it indicates what work has been done, it passes or break the build, etc. Lovely integration of slash command feature, for giphy images, for icons, for text formats, etc. Making the conversation more fun. You can also pin useful information, that you can easily access in anytime.

Cons: when you enter a message without sending, it places that person's icon into a draft section in the navigation area. It is kind of tricky to find that person, if you forgot you have a pending message to send and you are wondering why that persion is disappeared from your direct message section. search bar can be improved as well, it would be nice to have more advanced search terms like what google does.

Fast and Simple

Shaun P.
IT Specialist
Consumer Services, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: All and all it's been good. I wish it were cheaper but it's not. For what it is though, Slack is an incredible communication tool that has been very reliable to us with no down time and no bugs.

Pros: First off we don't use any of the add-ons. They seem incredibly useful for those who need them but we just don't have the need. What we like about Slack is that it's simple and very fast. We used HipChat back in the day and liked that but once they got bought out by Slack we tried some Rocket.Chat and Microsoft Teams. In the end we had issues with both of these and decided to give Slack a shot. Slack is very simple and easy to use and is extremely quick. We constantly found the competition software would lag after as little as a month or two of use due to all the messages.

Cons: Price. Compared to the competition it's expensive. When Slack bought out HipChat we were initially bummed because our price per user was going from around $2 a month to $7 a month. As a company who doesn't use any of the add-ons this seemed a bit steep. All and all I would say it's still too expensive for what we use it for but the other options out there have issues so large we continue to use Slack.

Fun and Useful Instant Messaging Tool!

Information Security Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It's a great messaging tool to keep track of announcements, files and other important official information. It's also a fun messaging tool to relax. I used Slack every day and it's the first thing I open in the office. Filesharing has never been easier. The performance issues can be improved a bot and new features can be added. Overall, a very necessary tool.

Pros: Slack is an amazing instant messaging tool that feels more like an official social media platform. The different channels in Slack are great to be connected to various technical teams and be up to date on what is happening with them. The @here and @channel features are great for announcements. The conversation threads in channels are fun for like-minded people and Slack is a very efficient way to share files of a larger size as Outlook may not support it often. Slack makes it super easy to share stuff with a group or just have conversations. The email notifications help not to miss any updates, and the feature to favorite channels is great. It's very useful to search for a piece of particular information across the enterprise. A keyword search brings up all related conversations and more often than not, you get what you are looking for. The option to pin documents to a channel is helpful too.

Cons: The app consumes a lot of battery on the phone. It has some performance issues and at times crashes. The email notifications for missed conversation sometimes take a lot of time to reach. If something is accidentally typed on a channel, unless the text is deleted, it forever keeps you in a draft status, which could get annoying sometimes. It does not have a feature to sort channels based on preference when there is a long list of favorite channels.

All Day, E'ery Day

Reviewed on 26/11/2019
Sara O.
Content Coordinator
Government Administration, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is so helpful to use with remote teams. I use it daily for two different employers, and actually convinced my main employer (a government agency) to start using slack. Slack allows teams to communicate easily and quickly, sharing links and documents all through the app. It also allows for camaraderie and fun, an important part of every workplace, even when you aren't physically with your team. The absolute most convenient thing about Slack is that you can use the desktop and mobile version, and someone can ask you a question, you can answer it, and work can move forward efficiently. For teams with people in different time zones and different work hours, this is incredibly helpful while texting and email sometimes don't cut it. For people who are outside of traditional cell service, sometimes I can connect to Slack even when text/calls are not going through.

Pros: I love how easy it is to communicate with people, and the informal format the encourages communication rather than dissuades it. People might be less inclined to send an email or call because they are interrupting your work, but slack doesn't have that feeling at all.

Cons: The limit on shared images after you hit a certain threshold with the free version - to be fair, this is a minor inconvenience at most and just another reason to pay for it!

Connecting made easy

Reviewed on 24/11/2019
Heather B.
Technical Product Manager
Real Estate, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used many messaging platforms in my professional career and for me, Slack takes the cake! It is really modern and the features are very easy to use. I also like how Slack manages new feature release which you can always tell us based off of recent user feedback. Slack is extremely intuitive and my team team (even those who prefer to communicate less ) enjoy using it.

Pros: Slack is great for collaborating and communicating with your immediate team and across multi functional teams as well. Creating channels that are topic specific such as DevOps or functional area (product) specific allows people from across the organization to post questions, comments, share docs (slack has a larger file capacity that our email server), and subscribe to certain posts such as issue management. I really like the @all, channel, specific person functionality because of how it is linked to notification management. My other favorite slack feature is pinning certain threads which Slackbot can help remind you when new detail is published pertaining to the thread.

Cons: I wish that there was a history roll up available so I could check back maybe 4 moths or so to see who I talked to. For instance, I was recently troubleshooting a technical issue and knew I had spoken with someone before to resolve the same problem a few months back. However it was in a 1:1 direct message and for the life of me I could not remember their name! I wish there was some type of running history that could show me everyone I have corresponded with because there is only so much room in the section doe Direct Messages in the fixed Slack side bar/column. I also wish that I could get a daily roll up of direct message communications to my email because I like the notification I have setup for whenever a new Slack message comes accross.

Slack is a great software to improve communication in a team

Reviewed on 20/11/2019
Roberto antonio C.
Senior Software Engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The customization of Slack is not aesthetic, but it is about creating a workspace with the conditions needed by each person and each office. With that we can maintain a very good performance and is a constant experiment among developers because we try new options. In this way we can adapt Slack to our needs.

Pros: Slack is a very powerful software. It works great as a chat, but it's more than that. It is possible to respond to threads to maintain a conversation apart from the main one, to have channels to speak by topics, to give permissions so that a person can respond to a channel or another one, etc. It allows to control in many ways all the configurations that can occur to me to improve the communication in the equipment.
It also integrates perfectly with other software, such as GitHub or Trello, for example. It's great because everything is in the same workspace, so I can concentrate on my work.
The search bar is perfect: you can search for messages, sent files and within the same documents. This powerful functionality is perfect when we work with a lot of documentation.

Cons: Slack notifications sometimes take time to arrive, even though the message arrives instantly. It can be up to 5 minutes late, which is annoying if we are working hard and if time is a key factor at the time. It happens many times when you send a message from the Android app, it's a bit strange.
Sometimes the Android app has unexpected shutdowns, even though it doesn't consume many resources.
At first can be a little overwhelming so many functions that has Slack, it takes a couple of days to adapt and customize the entire workspace.

Remote working? You'll LOVE "the Slack."

Reviewed on 19/11/2019
Margy W.
Legal Assistant/Executive Assistant
Legal Services, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: As described above, slack helps me communicate with my colleagues, both professionally and personally. It does so with few glitches, quietly, appealingly, and seamlessly. Slack has helped me develop closer relationships with members of my teams, as well as reach out and develop relationships with colleagues with whom I don't usually interact. That said, the meat and potatoes is this: slack keeps me in touch with my teams even though we work in different places, in different time zones, and at different times. It helps us stay in touch, keep friendly communication open, and it allows us to easily share documents and truly collaborate.

Pros: Slack is a MUST for remote workers. The ease of setup makes it fantastic. The ease of use makes it phenomenal. The ability to collaborate and work together, to chat and have water cooler talk when your team all work in separate locations, is priceless. One thing that I appreciate: slack allows you to customize your away times and notification snoozes. It's a really pleasant experience, and its notifications are similarly "unfrustrating." There's nothing quite like being interrupted by an annoying noise or a badge popping up somewhere in your periphery when you're focusing on something difficult, only to be totally distracted. I also appreciate that you can bypass snooze settings for those moments where urgency is actually necessary (hint: it never is ;) ). Next: I appreciate that slack doesn't make sharing documents needlessly complicated - why add extra bells and whistles you don't want or need? It's easy, collaborative communication and document sharing for people who want it. The best part: slack keeps me in touch with my colleagues. I know that sounds stupid, since it is a COMMUNICATION TOOL, but it really does. It keeps our lines of communication open, obviously, for discussing work projects and tasks, planning and checking in, etc. Above that, though, using slack also means we work on building our interpersonal relationships, meaning we become better at communicating with one another over time. I really appreciate that. Thank you, slack!

Cons: Honestly, I cannot think of anything I dislike about slack. I guess if I had to grouse about something, it would be that the "generic" icons (when you don't upload your own photo) have changed a few times, and I liked the original ones best. Can I just add that if that is my only complaint, they must be on to something?

Slack , if you're not using it you should be.

Reviewed on 15/11/2019
Mark G.
Managing Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Really good, I contact four companies weekly, couldn't cope without it.

Pros: Powerful, easy to use, lots of options so it's both easy to start up with and become a power user.

Cons: Lots of options.. but maybe not the ones you need. The inability to move a direct message into folders is a pain. If a project moves/evolves you can't edit it retrospectively you can only press on. Which is a shame is you have stuffed saved you need to move.

Robust Project Collaboration Tool

Reviewed on 17/11/2019
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
Insurance, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My team uses Slack to collaborate on web analytics, web apps and web design projects in an agile style of project management versus waterfall. So, we can make enhancements to analytics and design in an incremental fashion and avoid doing lots of changes in one big release. This ensures maximum development work done with less errors. Our overall experience with Slack has been smooth which results in completing more projects successfully to meet stakeholders' needs in less time and with less mistakes.

Pros: Slack offers channel creation capability which has helped my team collaborate efficiently on specific projects such as analytics. We are able to share questions and files around code changes for analytics enhancements. Once an update is about to be made to existing code, our developers can reach out to the business analyst and get more clarifications on his analytics requirements. Whenever there is a new notification sent within the analytics channel, the business analyst will receive an email update so he can respond right away. Other users of the analytics channel, can also jump into the conversation, if needed.

Cons: To get maximum benefit from Slack, I feel its users always need to have the Slack app open in their smart phone or laptop. Since I also use Gmail and Google Hangout to collaborate, it's challenging to respond to messages in Slack right away, when I am also chatting in Google Hangout or checking my emails in Gmail. If Slack can be integrated more seamlessly into Gmail as a chat window so I can see latest Slack messages within Gmail itself, it will make my office life more productive. I also feel Slack is meant for developers and project managers who have technical background and not for non-technical business users or managers. So, many business side users are left out of the Slack world and need another way to communicate with IT. It will be great if Slack tool is made more business friendly to increase adoption.

Great team messaging application

Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Erik S.
Systems Administrator
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall experience has been great. All the features work as intended. We have never had people miss notifications, fail to send attachments, not able to logon etc... All issues we have had with MS Teams.

Pros: It is very easy to use. Appealing graphical interface. Many integrations with other apps. Easy to use features. Shortcuts make work quick, as well as the slash commands. Easy to navigate, create channels (public or private) and customize for your team.

Cons: The cost is high. Our company has the paid version of slack, which is a great product. However, since we are using O365, teams is included for *free*. It was hard to justify keeping Slack as a paid product when we have another solution available. Keep in mind, teams is a sub par replacement.

Between annoying and useful

Reviewed on 13/11/2019
Clemens A.
Business Development Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Wether Slack is an advantage to your internal communication and productivity depends entirely on the pre-existing culture and the amount of self-discipline and thought your employees can provide. It's crucial to establish communication on the rules for using Slack in order to avoid wasting time.

Pros: The openness of Slack for plugins and useful integrations is awesome. You could easily employ one person just to optimize workflows, channels etc in Slack for a company with some hundred employees: that's the amount of possibilities. Also, Slack is a way of promoting the exchange of information and establishing personal relationships among employees.

Cons: In the worst case, Slack is a tool that places you at the disposal of each of your colleagues, at each moment of your day. Slack fosters a culture of deflection by communicating all the time and sharing more or less useful content with a far too high number of people.

Slack Review

Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Andrew R.
Marketing Strategist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Amazing. We have a team the works remote and using Slack is a lifesaver. As offices modernize, it's hard to just go to someone's desk to ask a question. Leaving a Slack message is much less invasive an easily searchable paper trail in case you need to reference it later.

Pros: Slack is great for teams and personal life communication. The amount of categorizing and partitioning you can do within a workspace is astounding. You can utilize certain project hashtags when speaking about it, then later go in search the hashtag to find all messages about said project. Different channels can be set up for various teams/ clients/ projects and the number of 3rd party integrations are immense. For instance, I can create a task in my TSM "Wrike" instantly from a Slack message making things super easy as messages are flying past.

Cons: There's not much to complain about here. The Chat bot can get a little annoying if you already know what you're doing. Also, if your friends/ family use Slack for a group chat, it can be difficult to separate work/ personal life as all of your spaces are in one place and you can see you have work messages.

Slack: a good business instant message application

Reviewed on 11/11/2019
Carlos fred C.
System Administrator
Financial Services, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My experience with Slack has been really good.
Slack helps me a lot on my daily activities and even more when I'm working from a remote location or inspecting something and need to interact with our team at the main office.

Pros: Slack is easy to use and its interface is very similar to other IM applications we have been using for years.
That makes the transition from whatever IM software currently in use to Slack quick and smooth.
In our company, nobody needed to be trained to use Slack and users went well with the transition process.
Slack allows users to customize their names, profile picture, and current status.
It's also possible to send messages to individuals, groups of people, and into channels.
Users most commonly send text messages but they have the option to send screen captures, pictures, and files in general at their own convenience.
A very useful resource in my opinion is the ability to create shared channels where you can add people from outside your organization as well as users from other Slack organizations.
With this feature, you can create a support channel with a service provider and have quick interaction with them, for example.

Cons: I don't have too much complaints about Slack.
One of them is that as an Administrator, I believe that the management interface is a bit confusing.
Sometimes it takes me a while to remember certain basic operations because Slack has its own way of having that done.
Also, I had issues with some of my users a couple of times because of bugs with Slack application.
The last I remember would freeze half of the user's screen so nothing shown in that area was clickable of selectable.
Closing and reopening Slack would temporarily solve the problem.
I contacted Slack support and they confirmed that as a known issue and that would be fixed soon with a software update.

Ended internal email overload in one day!

Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Ewan F.
Product Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Making progress on internal discussions can start in seconds with a Slack group chat. It is hard to imagine a way of managing teams in different countries any other way. Slack removed a reliance on internal emails which often fell short where key people weren't copied in or involved in the discussion. In a similar way, it avoids the CC happy emails where some team members may not need to be included and is an unnecessary distraction. With public channels, anyone can decide if they continue to remain invovled or just choose to 'mute' a channel, even just for a period of time. After using it for over 2 years now, the results are that people in our organisation can manage their communication and let it fit in their workflow. With various integrations it can also be a real timesaver when on the move.

Pros: The options of private/direct group conversations and public and private channels make the various types of cross-team communication most companies need so simple that it's hard to remember how we got anywhere when relying on email. As a personal favourite feature, the option to upload custom emojis makes messaging easier, not just for fun but in the cases where logos/symbols can be easily understood by everyone, it makes quick shorthand.

Cons: Someone who reccomended this product did warn to be careful that it may take over our lives, and they weren't wrong! Through no fault of Slack , the ease of adding channels, setting up groups etc does admittedly add to the noise that can sometimes be a distraction. The Slack call quality can sometimes be unreliable and audio quality isn't amazing.

Easy to use, difficult to customize

Reviewed on 30/10/2019
Laura P.
Production Coordinator
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, we are very happy with this app. Considering you don't need to pay anything for it it's a great tool if you are coordinating a creative team and want to keep track of all the creative new ideas and comments from every member of the team.
I wished it could be customized so it could be more visually appealing and notifications would be a bit more specific (at the moment you only know if someone has posted anything new by seeing a red dot over the Slack icon) but in general it's and excellent app to grant good communication between employees.

Pros: We really like how easy it is for everyone to use.
It really helps to keep all ideas and feedback from clients together in one chat group.
It's also great that you can have as many chat groups as you want , we don't only use it for work projects, we also have chats with inspiration boards or references.
It's also great to have a place where you can keep all the media assets saved together in one conversation. You can save images, audio and video all together which is really useful when a project is quickly being developed.
An other great feature is that you can link it to other apps and get notifications through it. We have it linked to Google Calendar so we can get updates on events and meetings.

Cons: Notifications are not very specific, at least when using from a computer.
Setting up a new workspace can be a bit confusing as it requires you to log in again as if you were creating a new account. Luckily Slack's support team are always willing to help.
You can't use capital letters (or spaces) when naming a new chat. I'm not sure why this is but I wish it changed.
When you pin a comment on a chat group that comment doesn't really stay on the top or the chat or somewhere where you can always see it. This would be very helpful as at the moment that option only helps you to highlight the comment.

A great company communication platfrom

Reviewed on 25/10/2019
Elliot R.
Recruiter
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our business has used Slack to increase our interdepartmental communication as well as communication with external companies. It really is a more convenient method of communication than email threads. We have channels with questions for different departments that can be searched prior to submitting a new question (saving time by reducing repeat questions). We have also had great experience in using different channels for different levels of support. The "Emergencies" channel has someone monitoring it at all times and this can make a large difference in being able to track and support team members who are working outside of regular business hours.

Pros: I love the ease of writing and tracking communication with others in the company. Multiple channels and integrations mean that each employee can customize the messages that they want to receive. The integrations also mean that different departments can use Slack to communicate, but then still keep their internal tracking and project management tools. The search function also means that I can know I've had a Slack conversation even months ago with specific information in it and I can at any time pull that info back up. The efficiency with searching and saving info means I can also use Slack to store answers to questions for later retrieval.

Cons: There is a bit of a "setup" curve for brand new employees while they determine which channels they need to be involved in and which to follow and those they can disregard. The very features that make Slack so helpful for experienced users can be intimidating at first.

Robust and Efficient Communication on All Team Levels

Reviewed on 19/10/2019
Stephanie H.
Church and Service Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Slack has been an entertaining way to keep my teams moving and communicating so much more than we would through email or text. The platform makes it easy to record and share ideas as they happen, and collaborate on the good ones to bring helpful and interesting ideas to fruition. We experience much less distraction as we all want to cover multiple topics, sometimes all at once. We are not limited to listening through long meetings where we discuss topics only relevant to 30% of the team - only team members directly related to a project have to engage in discussions, and the rest can listen in only if they are interested or find value. Stronger and more organized than emails or text threads, Slack has entirely changed the way we convey thoughts and communicate remotely (or from within the same room!) in my organization.

Pros: What I am most enthusiastic about in my use of this software, is how neatly organized every topic of discussion can be. Within an organization, there can be a LOT of topics, and one simple chatroom (text messages, other chat platforms) will absolutely not cut it. With Slack, each team can have their own space, each project can have its own space, and there can even be direct messages between team members. Replies can happen in the entire thread, or in direct response to a particular message - including emoji-only responses, for those so inclined! The added benefit of this discussion organization, means there's even a dedicated space for members to shoot the breeze and talk about lunch in #imhungry, without losing pace or focus of the financial evaluation happening in #budgetcrisis. Each chatroom, or "channel", can be as private or accessible as the individuals need. Members can join or leave as needed, or lurk in other's channels to keep track of other projects. An individual can even be a part of multiple Slack communities for different businesses or organizations - I personally have one for my Church, for my family business, as well as gaming and personal pursuits. Everything stays separate and organized, thanks to Slack.

Cons: This particularly applies to individuals who are using Slack for multiple organizations; the mobile app can be VERY confusing when you're not 100% familiar with Slack. Slack is already a bit of a learning curve, due to its robust functionality; that in itself is not a flaw, as I see it. It is efficiently designed. It's just a lot to take in day 1 and may not be intuitive to everyone, and the mobile app compounds the confusion! I will note that the app has MUCH improved since I jumped in two or three years ago. But even now, I find myself having to pause and double-check I'm navigating channels correctly. The desktop version is much more understandable!

Slack the best team communication software ever

Reviewed on 26/09/2019
Heshani H.
Software engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use slack in our office as the main communication app. We can connect with our overseas clients through slack so easily. As we can share rich media, we have everything in a single thread. And we have the ability to reply to the each message in the thread. Also we can delete unwanted messages. The best thing is we have set reminders for important tasks. So the overall experience is really nice and I am thankful to the slack developers.

Pros: We can create channels for separate projects and same time me can send direct messages for each other company members.
We can share texts, images,videos, audios, gif files and any rich media with others
We can set reminders for our work and slack bit is going to remind us our work
We can integrate other software like Skype, Hangouts,Gmail and many applications to slack, so that we can receive all the notifications through slack.
We have search options, so that we can search for previous texts we sent someone or in a certain channel.
Also there is an option to switch the do not disturb mode on. In that time we are not getting notifications.
We can easily use the web, desktop and mobile application so we can access chat via any device.
Considering all the matters I love this app.

Cons: I experienced some issues while getting voice calls.
Also it saves a limited number of lines in each chat thread. So we can not reference our earliest messages in threads.
These are the only issues I have experienced. But these are not that strong reasons to not to use this app.

Robust product that fosters effective communication and collaboration!

Reviewed on 19/09/2019
John B.
Senior Program Manager
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our organization deployed Slack alongside a legacy client. The initial plan was to run both in parallel indefinitely, mostly because change is hard and there would be complaints. But Slack was so quickly adopted by a broad user base, the legacy client was officially retired after just a few months. Slack has been incredibly effective at fostering group communication and bringing our organization together. There are colleagues on Slack that never even used the legacy client. Whenever possible, Slack is used as an email alternative. Slack is also very robust with plenty of customization and integration. I have only scratched the surface of available options but the Slack Outlook Calendar "app" has been very useful. There have been some very infrequent (less than one per quarter) outages or availability issues but Slack has been quick to acknowledge and resolve the issues. Overall I am very pleased and would highly recommend Slack.

Pros: - Flexible notifications allow users to control frequency and delivery methods for messages
- Default options or custom emojis can be used for current availability status
- Availability status can be set to automatically clear after a specific period of time
- Messages can still be sent to users even when they are offline/unavailable
- Key contacts can be "starred" and maintained in a sidebar list for quick access
- Communication across large groups is facilitated via "Channels"
- Posting a new message in a "Channel" includes options to notify all users in the group
- Custom start and end times can be set for the "Do Not Disturb" function
- Extensive user preferences include themes with customizable hex colors
- Integration with other productivity tools via "apps" (Outlook Calendar app is especially useful)
- Support for custom emojis, loading messages and channel prefixes
- Mobile app is extremely user-friendly

Cons: - Dark theme (mode) does not apply to the sidebar, only the main chat/message window
- On the desktop app, your own account ("you") appears at the top of the Starred list (preferred) but on the mobile app "you" is sorted among all other Starred users
- Occasional but very infrequent outages or availability issues

Slack Review

Reviewed on 18/09/2019
Ankush K.
Engineer
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It's one of the coolest apps I've tried, I'm glad I got a chance to switch from Skype.

Pros: It's best made for any type of communication chat, sharing files (pdfs, doc, xlx), code etc. It has some cool features which I use every day like set reminders, easy integration with other apps like Datadog/Airflow to set alerts/notification for your product. Search option is really amazing where you can search for text, word or pdf file. The other options are to make Alias which is important I think when you don't want to notify the whole channel and just type @Alias rather than @here.

Cons: The only issue I had with it is that it freezes sometimes on my laptop, my chat windows on my phone do not remain in sync with chat windows on the laptop like with my Hazy memory if I'm talking to someone on phone and don't remember the name of person I won't be able to get back to him from my laptop. I also use its free version which I kind of doesn't like as it only stores 10k messages. So I guess the recent contacts/conversation option might need some enhancements for better user experience. Also, intoroducing some Calendar feature would be great in future.