Filter by:

• Overall

About Slack

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It's real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Learn more about Slack

Showing 21,022 reviews

Sourabh S.
Sourabh S.
Software Developer
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2021

"Slack makes business communication easy, efficient and engaging"

Comments: I have enjoyed every bit of using slack, it gives me a feeling of using a robust yet state of the art communication platform. Hats off to the folks at slack, keep the good work going !!

Pros: It has carved a new segment in business communication and remote collaboration. Right now it is the gold standard as far as combining email and chat go. The User Interface is peppy and fun. The User Experience is very intuitive and efficient. We can edit messages that were sent without much noise. Love the slackbot as well it is very effective if used correctly. There are some really cool geeky features like Marvin etc which add the much needed spice to the remote work environment.

Cons: I haven't seen/used a native audio or video calling feature on slack, there are some advantages of having 3rd party video conferencing integration support but an inbuilt audio and video calling would have made this an absolute front runner in its segment. There should be a feature to notify when someone has logged in back to slack.

• Reviewed on 07/08/2021
Kavya S.
Graduate Student
Research, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2021

"Slack is one of those products that has no direct competitor because they're so good"

Comments: I've used Slack in multiple arenas--as an employee of a young startup, a researcher at a large academic institution, and as a member of student clubs/organizations. In each of these environments, Slack was a terrific way to collaborate with my team. We considered Microsoft Teams and other similar environments, but Slack was always the clear choice.

Pros: The things I love about slack: single sign-on for multiple workspaces, the 'magic link' to sign in with your email, the custom animated emojis (this seems silly but it's become a hallmark of one of my slack workspaces and my team enjoys them!), the ease of creating a new workspace and adding channels/teams, and the way we can quickly share files. I don't use many of the integrations in Slack but from what I've seen in workspaces that aren't managed by me, they work seamlessly and effectively.

Cons: I mentioned this elsewhere as well, but there are some issues with real-time synchronization; if I get an alert on my computer and open it, there is still a popup number on all my other devices that remains until I physically open slack on each device. This isn't a huge issue but it is very irritating when you constantly have a notification on the app.

Alternatives Considered: Anywhere365 for Skype Business and Microsoft Teams

• Reviewed on 23/09/2021
Matt W.
Senior Data Systems Manager
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/12/2020

"Great communication tool"

Comments: We have loved it. It has become the primary (almost exclusive) means of intra-department communication for our IT team.

Pros: I love pretty much everything about Slack. I love the ability to easily create new private and public channels; the ability to create conversation threads; the ability to pin comments; the huge selection of app integrations; the customizable Slackbot responses (we have had a lot of fun with this one); dark mode; the ability to quickly and easily share files with other members of the Slack workspace; the awesome Slack call feature; the ability to quickly access multiple Slack workspaces by adding them to the left sidebar; the native rich-text editor for enriching comments (including the code block option, which has been hugely useful for us); and the ease of management. We have found Slack to be a tremendously useful communication and collaboration tool for our organization.

Cons: I don't have a lot of complaints about Slack. One small annoyance is the truncated "Direct messages" list on the left side. This list displays team members to whom you have recently sent a direct message. However, it would be more useful if it was just a scrolling list of ALL team members (alphabetized), maybe even with a quick search box at the top, so you could quickly send a direct message to anyone on the team, and not just those with whom you have had a recent direct message conversation. That's really it in terms of cons. It is a great tool that has become indispensable for us.

Alternatives Considered: Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack: It just seemed to be a much more robust solution, with a vast set of features that we love, such as the ability to tie into other applications we use. Also, the interface is much more intuitive, and communication feels more efficient.

• Reviewed on 01/12/2020
Marie A.
Accounting Manager
Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2020

"Slack keeps us together"

Comments: Over the past 2 years of using Slack I have come to really like it. I like that it is customizable. I can choose to only alert me during my chosen work hours and I can extend or shorten those times as needed. I can express who I am and let my coworkers know a little about me (or not) by having a picture for my profile.

Pros: Working from home can make training a new employee difficult, but with Slack we have been able to be successful. Slack provides us the ability to share screens and use the the draw feature to point out important items. We are also able to get the team all on the same call for collaboration and even to socialize. Slack lessens the feeling of isolation from everyone having to be in a different location instead of all being in the office together.

Cons: The only feature that I would like changed is that when looking at an attachment and I choose to enlarge it, I have to maximize Slack's window in order to see it full size. I would like the attachment to enlarge outside of Slack's window size.

George P.
Chief Technology Officer
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2020

"Slack is not Slacking for your Business"

Comments: We believe Slack deserves a 9/10. There is more interaction on this platform than any other platform I am apart of! Wish they had fixed the group call features better! Maybe an investment in cloud?

Pros: Slack gives users and business the ability to communicate on a platform that doesn't feel to formal like Microsoft teams and it great for the Gen Z/ Mellinial generation of workers. This is importanat because I believe flow of work is also correlated to work habbits. The user experience is flawless for chat and it also create the ability to easily make channels with persmissions like flipping light switch.

Cons: I think one of the cringiest problems with slack is the inability of having a lightweight screenshare and the ability to not have dropped calls. There are many scenarios where we had clients or even our own team meetings struggling to have everyone on the call in sync. It has been a pain so we ended up using Zoom for group calls. We wish Slack didn't have this problem in the first place.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack: Costs! Too expensive and no need to have Office 365 for every member of the organization.

Nelson kipchirchir S.
Nelson kipchirchir S.
Regional Coordinator
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"The best collaborative app."

Comments: As a business, we benefit most from Slack in terms of unified communication. Slack brings all the teams in the organizations together by collating the various channels they use and more so their conversations are stored very well in a database which later on they can be searched and used or viewed any time.

Pros: What I personally like most about slack is its ability to be easily integrated with other already existing external services. The app is so powerful with built-in external and external sharing options which give it the ability to share files with anyone.
The application also has a read state synchronization between a phone and a PC, in that when you check a message on your PC the phone also automatically checks the message as read.
I also I like that fact that they have Slack mobile apps for both Android and iOS,
The ability to share documents in all formats is also a plus

Cons: It is very hard to change invites only channel to public and also it takes a lot of time when it comes to channel clean up since one needs to access the archives in web interfaces to delete the messages which sometimes takes ages especially in channels with so many messages.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2020
Matthew K.
Owner/operator
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2020

"Staying on the same page is important"

Comments: Slack really helps my employees stay on the same page but only if they use it. Sometimes I need to remind them to use it. It definitely helps keep people informed of current events at the company.

Pros: What I like most is that slack is incredibly customizable. If you can think of a thing that needs to be done in the workplace slack has an implementation of it. Keeps everyone on the same page

Cons: Notifications can get out of control without setting up when you want to be notified. If you sign up for the free plan it doesn't save your conversations for more than a few months so you'll need to send any critical important data through email.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack: Mainly because it forces people to look at situations and helps hold them accountable.

Switched From: Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack: We just the free version. Price reasons are why we chose slack. Although, we are considering getting the paid plan now.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2020
Adam C.
Marketing Manager
Internet, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2020

"Makes it easier to work with other people & teams"

Comments: I spend most of my day in and out of Slack and it helps to keep things moving quickly. No need for long winded and formal emails or bulky ticketing systems with Slack around.

Pros: I like how easy Slack is to use. It’s as simple as you would expect an instant messenger app to be, but it has so many more features than that are just as easy to use! I can start a zoom call with a simple command, I get a message to remind me I have a meeting about to start and I can keep up to date with things happening across the company at a glance without having to trawl through email threads constantly.

Cons: I haven’t come across something I particularly like the least about the software as of yet. One thing I have tried to do but been unable is to quote a particular part of somebody’s message. Sometimes it’s useful to refer back to something myself or someone else in a conversation said, but the only option I know of is the forward/share message function. It would be good to have a simple ‘quote’ feature which allowed you to quote all of or a section of the message. But this isn’t a fault, only a potential improvement on an already great product.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2020
Rashmi S.
Software Developer
Computer & Network Security, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2020

"Slack Experience"

Comments: My overall experience with Slack is great. Except when I have to record meetings/demos, I like to use Slack. And for pure messaging, it works great as it also allows me to send files and also edit/delete past messages. Not all messengers provide these capabilities, so overall I love Slack

Pros: I use Slack all day to communicate with my team. It has most of the usual features that other professional messengers have. But one thing that I like the most is its ability to let me edit/delete the text even after I have sent it. In other messengers that I have used, once I have sent a message, there is no going back. So, if I typed something wrong by mistake, I cannot edit/delete it. The only thing I can do is to write a new message and explain the mistakes in the previous message. This can be OK sometimes, but in a lot of scenarios, it just add to a lot of confusion for the recipient and it can turn out out be a pain. I do not want to waste time explaining the messages that I accidentally typed wrong. I would just want to be able to edit the message, correct it and make it really simple for the recipient as well as for myself. After using this amazing feature, I hate to go back to other messengers that do not yet provide this capability.

Cons: Few other messengers provide very good recording capabilities, example record the meeting/call/demos. when it comes to this feature, I have to switch to another messenger. Also, @here usually sends alert to everyone subscribed to that channel. But when the conversation is in a thread, @here does not work. Probably a bug?

• Reviewed on 13/10/2020
Scott C.
Scott C.
Consultant
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2020

"Your Team In Your Pocket"

Comments: I enjoy working with Slack. I'm on some channnels for web developers with tens of thousands of members and can often get a free answer to an easy (for a developer) question and fast. I've also met a lot of great people through that channel. Conversely, I haven't perfected the notifications so that I don't get pinged when anyone on any of the channels posts anything, and that adds up. I'm sure it's manageable, but I haven't found the time to check that box.

Pros: This is a no-brainer for start-ups and even old dinosaurs, especially these days (the great COVID pandemic). It combines the instant gratification of any chat app with intuitive drag n' drop filesharing, one click sub-group or project teams for siloed group coms, direct messaging, and hashtag denoted conversations for general participation that can even function like a newsfeed for relevant link sharing and other project or industry news or internal updates. Slack has become the default Millenial professional communication tool, and not just for the pretty icon. It's free for a long way but there are tiered account options all the way up to enterprise which has more trumped up security and support, as well as tools like huge video chats, unlimited storage and history, and unlimited software integrations (it works great with Google Drive.).

Cons: As a consultant, I am on several different slack "channels" - the Slack term for different companies Slack environments. It's easy once your set up with their software client and app to switch back and forth, but getting set up can require a call to the IT guy or the administrator of each separate Slack channel for permissions and credentials. Not a huge headache, but these days anything that requires a call to anyone can be considered at least a minor hassle.

• Reviewed on 07/08/2020
Compliance Training Coordinator
Telecommunications, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2020

"Great Business Continuity Tool"

Comments: It has been a great experience using Slack. It is a valuable tool and I really like how we are able to collaborate as a team and make it seem as if we are still working together in the office.

Pros: 1:1 Chat - Ability to have 1:1 conversations with team members. Useful when working on a project together.
Team Collaboration - Ability to bring a project together and share with a team.
Group Chat - Ability to have one area/space where the team collaborates, shares ideas, and works together to communicate issues.
Bot Integration - Ability to integrate various tools and bots that can make the day easier. Ability to integrate to web conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex, Teams. Ability to create to-do lists, track time, etc.
Manage Team - Great way to manage a team who is working remotely in various geographic locations.

Cons: Still trying to work around our SSO integration - This is mostly an internal bug we are trying to work on, but it would be nice if we can make Slack to work for a single sign on experience.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack: To streamline processes across the globe and to ensure a means of consistency across all teams.

Reasons for Switching to Slack: Slack was inexpensive and has the value of simplifying the use across our different levels of technological expertise in the company.

• Reviewed on 04/08/2020
Joel H.
Joel H.
CEO / Founder
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2020

"Really Love Slack, Great Way to Communicate with Multiple Clients"

Comments: Mainly we are using it to solve issues with communicating across different companies and their contractors, not only streamlining conversations but bringing transparency to the messages so everyone can easily see what was sent, communicated, and when.

Pros: I have to admit I can be one of those cranky older IT guys that sit in the back corner and groans every time I hear of a new technology that is going to revolutionize things. When I first heard of Slack I figured it was more of the same and didn't use it for years. Finally one of my clients required that we communicate over and I honestly love it. The integration from the App to the browser-based version is seamless. I like how I can communicate with different Orgs and have all their staff on Slack already in when I login so I can easily communicate with who I need to. Messages are saved and easy to search to find what I need later. Group communicate and individual messaging is fantastic and I have used the VoIP to call some of my contractors that my client's use through Slack directly. All in all it makes working with people virtually easier and I will definitely be using it in the future.

Cons: My least favorite thing about slack is having to log into each org every time I need to work inside Slack. I think for most users this isn't a big deal, especially if they are using it with just one workspace. Because I work with several companies, it is a bit of a pain. I have to log in for each org to see the workspace and the only way I can see messages from another org is to open a new tab and re-login using the org's credentials. I wish there was a way to have one master Slack login and then move in and out of the different companies I work with without having to log in and out all the time or use different web browsers or tabs.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2020
Technical Director
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2020

"Slack is the backbone of what we do"

Comments: Slack is used by everyone in the business on a daily basis, it allows us to work efficiently and makes working remotely a breeze.

Pros: There are other products out there that provide a similar service, but for me nothing compares to slack's flexibility to integrate with the other online services we use and automate workflows and reporting.

Cons: The video call feature could do with some slight improvements, a grid view would be great for group calls for instance.

Alternatives Considered: Google Meet, Microsoft Teams and Workplace by Facebook

Reasons for Choosing Slack: The ability to integrate with other services such as InVision, Flowmapp and Teamwork.

Switched From: Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack: Integrations were high on our priority, but also ease of use and the ability to easily add external companies into shared channels.

• Reviewed on 19/05/2020
Leon W.
CEO, Project Manager, Senior Graphic Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/04/2020

"Slack solves most issues, but not all"

Comments: Slack felt very familiar for me since I already used Discord for social and gaming needs. I liked the ability to customise my interface with literally any colour I chose and the apps and addons I could add (namely, ClickUp) were extremely helpful. However, the pricing model proved a bit too aggressive for my company. I have a small design company in Brasil (which means North American dollars are about five times as expensive for me from the get go), and our biggest selling point is the fact that we keep very close contact with our clients, bringing them into most design discussions. In that light, my intention was to seamlessly transition all my clients from their WhatsApp groups to their own Slack channel. The issue was that *even paying*, the amount of "free guests" I could invite was very limited. I was not able to add all clients, and that ultimately meant I couldn't fully transition to Slack. A small issue I also had was inviting via e-mail instead of (again, like in Discord or even WhatsApp itself) just generating a link my clients would click and be dropped into the channel created a small learning curve. Unfortunately, we ended up having to migrate to Discord itself in order to get out of WhatsApp.

Pros: It essentially makes e-mailing obsolete and has several neat utilities that help streamline the thought, decision, discussion and feedback processes.

Cons: I had less control than I expected (and needed) in regards to overall look and feel, as well as the users' level of interaction in an attempt to soften the learning curve and address some of the app-switching angst. On top of that, the imposing pricing limitations effectively made it impossible for my company to fully transition to Slack.

Alternatives Considered: ClickUp, Google Meet and Zoom Meetings

Reasons for Choosing Slack: WhatsApp groups were excessively hard to manage without having a dedicated phone number for work. Personal messages would get mixed up with work messages and it made everyone's life harder. Also, clients were very keen on sending voice messages, which not only aren't appreciated by everyone, but also don't work as express proof in case we needed to document our choices.

Switched From: WhatsApp

Reasons for Switching to Slack: The turning point at the time was the ability to interact with screenshared video calls through a virtual pen. It was great for lessons and quick suggestions. My familiarity with Discord made my own transition easier and audio/video quality was a plus. Overall, I liked Slack very much, but wasn't able to move over entirely.

• Reviewed on 16/04/2020
Cole R.
Operations Specialist
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/04/2020

"Slack is Much More Than Just Messaging"

Comments: Simply put, Slack solved the issue of under communicating within our business. The software added a new medium that allows employees to solve problems faster and complete tasks sooner by eliminating unnecessary in-person discussions and remain connected even when remote. Working from home continues to become more and more popular and Slack has now become absolutely vital in allowing that to be done. We're able to chat, phone and video call, screen share, file upload and more! We are very pleased with how useful the software has proven to be.

Pros: Slack's list of pros far outweigh the software's cons. Most importantly, Slack is extremely simple to install and learn! Everything about the user-face is intuitive and looks very similar to tradition messaging applications. Certainly, the messaging functionality of Slack is the greatest pro. The software is available for all computer devices and smartphone devices which allows everyone to stay connected whenever and wherever they need to. Another tremendously impactful pro is the screen sharing function; this is critical to successfully working from numerous offices or from home. It allows us to walk through problems as they arise and creatively collaborative on visuals. Lastly, Slack has the ability to integrate with a users Google Drive which makes file uploading and sharing seamless!!! I could go on but there are ultimately some of the greatest takeaways.

Cons: One of the greatest cons many employees have identified is the software's nagging "unread" notification. A new/unread message badge will appear on both the smartphone and computer applications for a message that has often times already been read. This occurs when the incoming message is received while the application is already open on a device. For instance, like many of us do, I keep the my application open in one of my dual monitors (meaning it is open at all times) and if I have the chat open to Sally's chat and Sally messages me, I will have a new message notification until I click "Mark as read" within our already visible chat. It's a rather small con but it sometimes creates confusion.

• Reviewed on 01/04/2020
Customer Success Architect
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Comments: great product with great capabilities but it there is no training on etiquette, its a collaboration wild west shoot out and a lot of people will run and duck for cover. Which means they will revert to old comms tools like email, text or actual face to face communication IRL (Heaven help us!)

Pros: Slack is an easy to use collaboration tool. I can have 1:1 discussions, create channels (public and private), share documents and images. We also leverage the integration capabilities to connect with other applications in our tech stack.

Cons: Slack enables people to digitally barf all over the place. There are those in our org who understand there are certain protocols, etiquette, do's and don't's. There are others who use the @channel or @here for every message and they are spamming numerous channels with their nonsense. And there are others who communicate completely with emojis and gifs. Maybe there are backend settings in Slack today that aren't being used by our site admins, but there really should be some proper training so we dont have to sift through so much noise to find relevant bits of communication.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020
Saransh K.
Full-Stack Software Developer
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/02/2020

"The best chat and communication tool for teams"

Comments: Its great when everyone is in a single location and you can just walk up and ask your questions face-to-face. This isn't the case for most of us anymore as we are working with remote teams and different schedules. Slack has made communication almost as efficient as face to face. You can even reach people on their mobile devices after hours if needed. The ability to connect all of this communication with many of our other products and services just makes it even better.

Pros: The interface is the best we have used and is easy to navigate and understand. Channels make a lot of sense and everyone using Slack seems to understand how they work. Tagging others in a conversation is a great way of calling attention to the specific people who need to see a message. Integrations work well and there are already a lot of them but making custom integrations is also easy.

Cons: I wish there was some better way of organizing tons of channels. This is probably not a big deal in most places and you can hide everything but the channels that you want to see but some better hierarchy like folders or something like this would be great.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack: The product was being phased out and it was poorly used in our teams.

Reasons for Switching to Slack: We like Slack's more independent brand and the overall design feels powerful and light at the same time.

• Reviewed on 03/02/2020
Nicholas S.
Data Science Architect
  • Reviewed on 03/01/2020

"Great integrations with tools"

Comments: We were on Skype for Business and the features on Slack are much richer and better. Some people are using Teams, which is also a good alternative, but for some people the heavy footprint of the full Teams product was a bit too much.

Pros: It's an easy, reliable tool to use for messaging, and easily organizes teams with channels for discussion. The integrations with web hooks are also very useful for using other developer/production tools for software development. Custom slackmojis are also a fun morale booster.

Cons: The free version has a short history span, but this is understandable given it has a free version. When having a direct ad hoc conversation with multiple people (not wanting to setup a channel), it can be difficult to read the names for each conversation and distinguish one from the other. Maybe there's a way to rename the convo, but I haven't found it yet.

Reasons for Choosing Slack: Deprecation

Reasons for Switching to Slack: Lighter weight, and we have some company developers who only use Linux so because there isn't a Teams for linux distribution we couldn't use it.

• Reviewed on 03/01/2020
Nikki K.
IT Help Coorindator
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2019

"Great communcation software"

Comments: Like I had said I really love Slack. It has made it easier to communtate with my team, share information and it actually brought us together!

Pros: I have used Slack for years now and was so excited when we started using it at my current workplace. We had tried to use other software but it never really took off as Slack has. It is super easy to use and has many different client versions. Everyone in the office can decide how they want to use it which is a hugeeeee plus! We use the free version which really is great for us. There is a limit to how many message Slack stores but this hasn't been a huge issue. You are able to create different channels which has been a great way to share important information that we have to reference and keep it organized. Slack has also brought our team together and gave us a new modern way to communicate. Also what I love is that you can really customize notifications,

Cons: I don't like how with my particular phone notifations can be delayed. It has caused a few issues where I have gotten messages 30 to 40 minutes later despite having good either wifi or ceular service. Otherwise no real issues with Slack!

• Reviewed on 12/12/2019
Heather R.
Content Manager
Events Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"It's changed the way we communicate!"

Comments: As I said, it's changed the way we communicate. This is especially important for our company that's not only split between two main offices in different locations but now also has remote employees across four additional states. Slack helps us stay connected to the teammates we rarely see in person, allowing us to build friendships and maintain an awesome company culture. It also helps our entire team stay informed on everything that's happening within the company, from customer service to development.

Pros: Before Slack, our team primarily communicated through email and one-on-one chat services. This caused a lot of miscommunication and wasted time going back and forth between people, passing on information, etc. Using Slack took away all of that. Being able to chat through channels allows us to communicate with groups of people at one time so everyone has access to discussions that might apply to them. We also really value the video chat feature because we have several remote employees that you can talk to face to face with a click of a button. Which is far better than having to go open some separate video chat app just to make a phone call.

Cons: Slack can be a little "noisy" for some people, but there are ways around that, so I don't really consider it a bad thing. It's just up to each user to figure out how to make Slack work best for them. We've had some complaints within our team about the new text formatting, most specifically our engineers that preferred doing it on their own and find the new user-friendly format to actually be a hindrance. They'd really like for that to be a feature that each user to choose to enable or not.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2019
Andrew R.
Marketing Strategist
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Slack Review"

Comments: Amazing. We have a team the works remote and using Slack is a lifesaver. As offices modernize, it's hard to just go to someone's desk to ask a question. Leaving a Slack message is much less invasive an easily searchable paper trail in case you need to reference it later.

Pros: Slack is great for teams and personal life communication. The amount of categorizing and partitioning you can do within a workspace is astounding. You can utilize certain project hashtags when speaking about it, then later go in search the hashtag to find all messages about said project. Different channels can be set up for various teams/ clients/ projects and the number of 3rd party integrations are immense. For instance, I can create a task in my TSM "Wrike" instantly from a Slack message making things super easy as messages are flying past.

Cons: There's not much to complain about here. The Chat bot can get a little annoying if you already know what you're doing. Also, if your friends/ family use Slack for a group chat, it can be difficult to separate work/ personal life as all of your spaces are in one place and you can see you have work messages.

• Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Ewan F.
Ewan F.
Product Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2019

"Ended internal email overload in one day!"

Comments: Making progress on internal discussions can start in seconds with a Slack group chat. It is hard to imagine a way of managing teams in different countries any other way. Slack removed a reliance on internal emails which often fell short where key people weren't copied in or involved in the discussion. In a similar way, it avoids the CC happy emails where some team members may not need to be included and is an unnecessary distraction. With public channels, anyone can decide if they continue to remain invovled or just choose to 'mute' a channel, even just for a period of time. After using it for over 2 years now, the results are that people in our organisation can manage their communication and let it fit in their workflow. With various integrations it can also be a real timesaver when on the move.

Pros: The options of private/direct group conversations and public and private channels make the various types of cross-team communication most companies need so simple that it's hard to remember how we got anywhere when relying on email. As a personal favourite feature, the option to upload custom emojis makes messaging easier, not just for fun but in the cases where logos/symbols can be easily understood by everyone, it makes quick shorthand.

Cons: Someone who reccomended this product did warn to be careful that it may take over our lives, and they weren't wrong! Through no fault of Slack , the ease of adding channels, setting up groups etc does admittedly add to the noise that can sometimes be a distraction. The Slack call quality can sometimes be unreliable and audio quality isn't amazing.

Alternatives Considered: Yammer and Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack: We barely tried alternatives as Slack was so highly reccomended, by the time we begun evaluating it , it was already sold. If there were other software used for 'Chat' they will all have been removed.

• Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Laura P.
Production Coordinator
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/10/2019

"Easy to use, difficult to customize"

Comments: Overall, we are very happy with this app. Considering you don't need to pay anything for it it's a great tool if you are coordinating a creative team and want to keep track of all the creative new ideas and comments from every member of the team.
I wished it could be customized so it could be more visually appealing and notifications would be a bit more specific (at the moment you only know if someone has posted anything new by seeing a red dot over the Slack icon) but in general it's and excellent app to grant good communication between employees.

Pros: We really like how easy it is for everyone to use.
It really helps to keep all ideas and feedback from clients together in one chat group.
It's also great that you can have as many chat groups as you want , we don't only use it for work projects, we also have chats with inspiration boards or references.
It's also great to have a place where you can keep all the media assets saved together in one conversation. You can save images, audio and video all together which is really useful when a project is quickly being developed.
An other great feature is that you can link it to other apps and get notifications through it. We have it linked to Google Calendar so we can get updates on events and meetings.

Cons: Notifications are not very specific, at least when using from a computer.
Setting up a new workspace can be a bit confusing as it requires you to log in again as if you were creating a new account. Luckily Slack's support team are always willing to help.
You can't use capital letters (or spaces) when naming a new chat. I'm not sure why this is but I wish it changed.
When you pin a comment on a chat group that comment doesn't really stay on the top or the chat or somewhere where you can always see it. This would be very helpful as at the moment that option only helps you to highlight the comment.

Alternatives Considered: Google Chat

Reasons for Choosing Slack: Slack seems to be more dynamic and allows you to send all types of media to the rest of the team.

Switched From: Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack: We already have too many apps on Google, so it was good to keep our internal communication aside. Slack is also better to manage your chat groups .

• Reviewed on 30/10/2019
John B.
Senior Program Manager
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/09/2019

"Robust product that fosters effective communication and collaboration!"

Comments: Our organization deployed Slack alongside a legacy client. The initial plan was to run both in parallel indefinitely, mostly because change is hard and there would be complaints. But Slack was so quickly adopted by a broad user base, the legacy client was officially retired after just a few months. Slack has been incredibly effective at fostering group communication and bringing our organization together. There are colleagues on Slack that never even used the legacy client. Whenever possible, Slack is used as an email alternative. Slack is also very robust with plenty of customization and integration. I have only scratched the surface of available options but the Slack Outlook Calendar "app" has been very useful. There have been some very infrequent (less than one per quarter) outages or availability issues but Slack has been quick to acknowledge and resolve the issues. Overall I am very pleased and would highly recommend Slack.

Pros: - Flexible notifications allow users to control frequency and delivery methods for messages
- Default options or custom emojis can be used for current availability status
- Availability status can be set to automatically clear after a specific period of time
- Messages can still be sent to users even when they are offline/unavailable
- Key contacts can be "starred" and maintained in a sidebar list for quick access
- Communication across large groups is facilitated via "Channels"
- Posting a new message in a "Channel" includes options to notify all users in the group
- Custom start and end times can be set for the "Do Not Disturb" function
- Extensive user preferences include themes with customizable hex colors
- Integration with other productivity tools via "apps" (Outlook Calendar app is especially useful)
- Support for custom emojis, loading messages and channel prefixes
- Mobile app is extremely user-friendly

Cons: - Dark theme (mode) does not apply to the sidebar, only the main chat/message window
- On the desktop app, your own account ("you") appears at the top of the Starred list (preferred) but on the mobile app "you" is sorted among all other Starred users
- Occasional but very infrequent outages or availability issues

• Reviewed on 19/09/2019
Incident Management
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/09/2019

"Communication made easy"

Comments: Slack is a very good tool with many add-ons that can help your business with communication, reminders, etc. The library of add-ons is growing.
The only thing is that I wish the search was a little bit better, you often find irrelevant hits and it is a bit hard to exclude channels or people in your search.

Pros: How easy it is to use.
It is easy to chat with other members in the organization, it is easy to start small chat groups, for more permanent groups you can start channels, both public and private.
It has both voice calls and video calls that are fast and smooth with great quality.

Cons: It is a bit harder to cooperate with other companies, where skype is available for anyone and you can easily add any contact, in slack you need an administrator to add a quest to the workspace. a good thing is that for each paid license you have in the company you can invite 5 guests that have access to a single channel(single-channel guest). a small con is that you need to pay a license for any guest that need access to more than one channel(multi-channel guest) The search function could offer a few more options

• Reviewed on 13/09/2019