Shopify is easy to launch and manage

Reviewed on 30/10/2019
Lee'ann B.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience has been positive using Shopify as my shopping cart for my store. I felt the transition from Magento was pretty simple - although I did not do the migration that is an option, I ended up starting a brand new site.

Pros: I currently use Shopify for my “side hustle” business - selling retro and vintage style dresses online - www.retrovintagedresses.com I previously used Magento for my shopping cart before switching over to Shopify. I like that it’s an easy platform to get set up on and deploy. Also, I love that you can easily create a catalog on business manager to sell products on Facebook and Instagram. Definitely easy to use.

Cons: I don’t have any cons that I can think of with Shopify. I’ve been using it for over 2 years and have not had any major issues or set backs.

If you run a shop, you need to use Shopify!

Reviewed on 21/10/2019
Sarah O.
Marketing Coordinator
Retail, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall Shopify can be an extremely helpful platform for a company that is running an online store. It makes both the front and back end seamless for everyone. Once I took the time to learn my way around the website I realized that there is so much that Shopify can do, and it makes us running our company a lot easier than if we tried to build an online shop ourselves. Our whole team now utilizes Shopify on a daily basis and we love everything about it, from the retail functions right down to the design.

Pros: I love that we can provide an easy-to-use online store for our customers and seamlessly connect it to everything on the backend. I love the customization that the apps in Shopify provide, and we are utilizing things like shipping & inventory, bundle discounts, upselling, random coupons, email collection, and much more. The number of apps provided makes it easy to find the right one for your store. Our backend support team can easily view and fulfill orders and we can handle customer service right from our site. It's easy to set up and constantly update. I love that Shopify has made running an online store easy for both our management team and customer base.

Cons: Unfortunately since there are so many apps offered, it does take some time to sort through and find the right one for you. Some of them are not as customizable than others, and it can be tough to learn your way around the building platform but luckily Shopify and the app developers have awesome support teams. I'm also not a fan that you can't physically drag and drop widgets on your website like Wix can, and sometimes you need to teach yourself a bit of HTML to edit things (although again, their support team is great for helping with this). However, these are small inconveniences compared to the vast functionality of Shopify.

Want to start Drop Shipping? Meet Shopify!

Reviewed on 19/09/2019
Emeka O.
Trainer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Generally, Shopify has been an awesome service. I was able to build many sites with it. Ecommerce and Drop shipping is very easy with Shopify. With Shopify, I didn't have to bother about hosting my store or making my site secure. All these were taken care of by Shopify. It's ease of use for drop shipping is second to none, and I didn't have to be a programmer to enjoy it. The only turn off I had while starting was the initial cost because I wanted to start on a very lean budget. It's ease of use is beautiful. Using Shopify is fun.

Pros: I love many things about Shopify. Honestly, I've not fallen in love with any other alternative as much as I have with Shopify. The pros of Shopify includes: 1. No Hosting required: This is a beautiful part of Shopify. With Shopify, I never had to worry about purchasing a hosting plan. Shopify hosts all merchant accounts on their server. 2. Free SSL: I love this a lot. With some other alternatives, a user may need to purchase an SSL certificate to keep his/her site safe, but not with Shopify. Shopify provides free SSL for all users. 3. Easy to use: With Shopify, I was able to get up and running in about half an hour. No programming skills required. Customising and tweaking everything can be done in about an hour. This is beautiful compared to alternatives. 4. Free trials: Shopify allows a new user to tryout it's services for complete two weeks without paying any money if the user desires. Being curious, I had to try the free service before deciding to make any purchase. 5. Easy to install apps: Shopify have apps to help users add functionalities to their websites. The apps are very easy to install. Their are both free and premium apps on Shopify. 6. Easy payment collection: Shopify has it's own payment system for users. This allows users collect payment for products and services from their customers. The payment processing fee varies from plan to plan. 7. Easy to integrate with drop shipping services: A large chunk of Shopify users are drop shippers. This is a plus.

Cons: Inasmuch as I so much love Shopify, honestly, there are a few turn offs. They include: 1. Expensive: For a starter, Shopify may be very expensive compared to alternatives like woocommerce. With woocommerce, a user can build a free forever ecommerce/ drop shipping site. The user only need to purchase a hosting service and an SSL certificate if need be. 2. Some apps are not available: I opted to using another payment gateway other than Shopify's. The issue I had was that I couldn't find the app for my desired payment processor on the App store. By this, I was compelled to use another payment processor. 3. Premium Apps: Shopify apps helps users add features to their websites. The con here is that many of the apps are premium apps, and should be paid for. This means that apart from the money one have to pay to use Shopify, the one still need to pay some more to have his/her desired apps installed. This can be a turn off for newbies, and others users. Apart from those cons, Shopify is a beautiful app to use.

Shopify is Go To for Building Any eCommerce Physical Product Store

Reviewed on 21/09/2019
Randi Z.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Shopify is amazing. Building an e-commerce website on your own or with a developer is ultimately complex. Shopify has made this a simple experience. Building your own eCommerce site typically would require you to pay for a lot of things in all different places such as hosting with GoDaddy and a URL and then you need to buy all this different plugins from different developers. It becomes a headache. Your site can also crash and get buggy as a result. Shopify is an all-in-one solution and will usually never crash unless all of Shopify is under maintenance. It's just a really great software and a must use if you're building an eCommerce website for the first time. You can start with Shopify and most likely find all the features you need to keep your site there for the long haul.

Pros: Shopify allows even a beginner to build a really nice looking, responsive eCommerce site. You offer templates that you know help store owners be more successful. They are already designed really well and someone just needs to switch out elements to make the store their own. You made it easy to buy a domain, a template and hosting all in one place. You also have it easy to setup your sales tax which on platforms like Magento and Wordpress can requires additional plugins that can be a headache. You connect well with distribution channels such as Amazon and eBay and I can manage my inventory quantities all in one place.

Cons: Cons is of course with any DIY software limitations within the software. You also to customize this need to work with developer who really knows Shopify and deep coding experience, versus building a website on Wordpress, millions of developers know wordpress, Shopify has less true experts to choose from.

Shopify for the win!

Reviewed on 19/09/2019
Chelsea D.
Business Owner
Retail, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I love that shopify will scale with my business and that there are various pricing plans that give you different options and shipping discounts. It's easy to use and has other apps that work with it so I can easily generate line sheets and product catalogues.

Pros: I love that shopify integrates seamlessly into my inventory program, social media accounts, email marketing platform, etc. They also work really well with google ads so you can add products to google shopping and run really effective retargeting ads. Their live view option is great and gives me an idea of where my customers are coming from. Their shipping discounts are also great!

Cons: The only thing that really annoys me is that I can't pick which shipping option comes first. Because one of my shipping options is "local pickup" and is free, I'd rather that not be the default shipping option (a lot of out of town customers accidentally choose local pickup and then I have to contact them and it looks unprofessional). Apart from that, it's a great platform

The Shopify platform is a richly supported online and retail solution

Reviewed on 13/09/2019
Jay A.
Institute Director
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've attended a Shopify master class speaker event, done some studying along a roadmap towards certifications on the platform, and I've begun some nominal work upon creating web stores as a developer seeking to start establishing an E-commerce and brand management solution.

Pros: There are many aspects to the Shopify software platform, including 3rd party app development, e-commerce, retail Point-of-Sale hardware, affiliate programs for referring merchants, professional learning articles and paths to professional certifications of the Shopify platform. In addition, the Shopify experience, for users, admins, developers, partners, etc. is richly engaging with Shopify retail store events, here in downtown Los Angeles. Shopify's retail store presence features master classes from professionals who have successfully launched brands and online and physical stores using Shopify's technology and features, as well as their own third party establishments which integrate nicely within the Shopify platform.

Cons: There's a high learning curve to establishing a professional web presence in an E-commerce setting, and many steps and lessons to learn along the way, but for dedicated developers and entrepreneurs, the Shopify app is a truly viable tool for establishing an E-commerce web presence.

With all the gold standard tools for eCommerce, Shopify is fastest road to launch.

Reviewed on 21/08/2019
Brendon B.
Ecommerce Director & Digital Marketing
Apparel & Fashion, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been rapidly deploying eCommerce customers, and they have been quite pleased with the handover. I love watching them take ownership of all the intuitive tools - the burden of training has decreased exponentially.

Pros: Shopify is a fully managed platform on the software level. Things just work all the time. No hosting hassles, code bugs, no downtime.

Cons: Certainly feels overpriced if you can launch an equivalent WooCommerce store for close to free. I don't like how their pricing model is based on access to modifying the checkout process. Templating is a new language based on the Shopify variables,

User-friendly platform that covers (almost) all your e-commerce needs

Reviewed on 01/09/2019
Vy N.
Cosmetics, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Shopify is still my first pick after almost a decade working with E-commerce, but with a much lesser margin than before. Squarespace and Wix offer, in my opinion, good alternatives if you don't want to put up with constantly wondering "Why isn't this function in place? Oh, I have to install an app and pay X$ every month". I would recommend Shopify for those who don't require a lot beyond the standard E-commerce solution and/or won't mind paying a bit for some pro templates and apps.

Pros: Shopify is extremely user-friendly and easy to set up. It's intuitive even if you've never used an e-commerce platform before, and you're able to get by with no coding skills. The basic templates are plain, but professional and modern. Basically it covers everything you need to get started with an online business, the pricing model is fair, and there's a wealth of 3rd party plugins and templates if you require something beyond the standard functionalities.

Cons: Though I've put the 3rd party marketplace as a benefit, I'm also left with the feeling that it comes with a hidden downside. Basic functions such as bundling and customer messages on an order (which, to give an example, Etsy offers) requires a 3rd party plugin with Shopify. After so many years in the industry, I'm baffled as to why this hasn't been implemented by default. The only reason I can think of is, why would they? Customers are forced to buy an app, which makes more money for Shopify. Another pet peeve example: You cannot use more than 1 discount code unless you install an app. Which means, you can't put 10% off the entire site, and offer customers an additional discount with a code.

Amazing eCommerce platform for novices and developers alike!

Reviewed on 31/07/2019
Jamie H.
Senior Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I've been running an eCommerce shop for 5 years on Shopify. Easy setup and easy import of products from a CSV file. The app store has a large variety of free and paid plugins that deal with all the edge cases and shortcomings of Shopify. I've been able to import multiple other platforms and convert a Shopify store in a matter of hours. The user interface is intuitive and simple to navigate.
In the last few years, adding channels to sell on such as Houzz and Facebook have made a big difference in being able to get visibility into our products.
The ability to quickly change themes and customize using the Liquid language is quite nice for developers using this product.

Cons: The pricing between the middle tier and advance is a big leap. The middle tier plan only allows 5 staff accounts, which can be limited, to people using development consultants and virtual staff.
The ability manage redirects (from a previous site) is limited but can be fixed by using a paid app from the Shopify app store.

Good tool to manage commerce easily

Reviewed on 30/07/2019
E-commerce Fraud and Payments Management
Internet, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Shopify is a very good to manage you ecommerce even if you don't have many departments or people helping you our with your online store. To start, it is very intuitive, both the front end and the back end part. It guides you through all the process to creating the layout of your website offering multiple templates, product pages, descriptions to the payment processing to the shipping options parts. You can do all by yourself without needing much experience.
This tool offers different plans, so make sure to read and choose the one that fits better with your business model. All plans allows you to upload products with no limits. Plans focus on number of accounts and other shop features.
What I like more about Shopify, is that it offers their own payment platform (with many options) so no need to bother with an external provider if you don't have one. If you do, you can integrate it too.
Shopify also offers the possibility to calculate taxes according to the country and the possibility to restrict your shipping area.
Some features are a bit limited but you can find many options/plug ins on the marketplace. Needless to say, just be sure to give a check of all the features of the website everytime you install a plug in.

Cons: This tool offers the possibility of create an ecommerce easily, but if you are looking for something more customizable or for a big site, you might want to check other options too.
The only blocker I have found so for is the possibility to calculate taxes not only on country level but on product/group level automatically. This would be very helpful for online stores that manage multi tax items

I use Shopify for all my Ecommerce Businesses

Reviewed on 02/05/2019
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I built both shopify stores from scratch without prior knowledge and it took me about a full week to get the hang of things. I would make adjustments as I could to help convert customers. I still feel like it's the best place to only sell products but still a bit costly to make a really nice design. I now hire virtual assistants to make all the changes on the site and manage it but that can cost too so it's great there are API's to help grow the business, which all cost more money though, some are free (Reddit, pinterest). Overall, I will still use the software.

Pros: Sleek designs, easy to use, easy to keep track of products and sales, great third party API integrations and marketing software, and simple to run. Many Virtual Assistants already know how to use this software which makes life very easy for me. The simpler, the better. I have several shopify stores and I aim to make passive income in this realm.

Cons: Templates are limited, a lot of the development is backend yet I'm a visual person so I like to see everything as I'm doing it, and it can get a little overwhelming with all the integrations needed to turn a Shopify store into a massive profitable business. I feel like the best templates cost too much money and the ones we are offered look basic and not easily customizable. It could use a better blog feature section and a bit more visual aspects such as videos to help pitch or promote the business. Maybe even used for online courses with private logins would be great.

OK but MUCH room for improvement

Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Judah P.
Senior Account Executive - Commercial Print
Retail, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: 2014 = great
2018 = terrible
I would encourage rep. to contact me.

Pros: When I first signed up for Shopify 4-5 years ago I thought it was the best thing to happen to ecommerce. Gurus were knowledgeable and accessible (via phone!), the product worked beautifully and it met my needs. Now that my business has grown and I'm finding that Shopify is not set up to handle a business of high growth. Shopify has grown so fast that the average conversation with a Guru has dropped from outstanding to barely acceptable. Most of the time, the I know more than the Gurus. Follow up from the gurus is also terrible. You can still reach them by phone but if you need to speak to someome in the company with more experience, you can only access them via email and they take FOREVER to get to you. So you can forget about getting any help from someone with real knowledge of the product. The native functionality is also only good for very basic businesses. For example, if you need to ship a single item in multiple boxes, you can forget about doing that natively in the app or taking advantage of their discounted shipping rates. If you want to get a custom app built, you can forget about getting any support on the API from the gurus because they don't know anything about API. Again, there is no escalation point for customers who have a higher level of needs. Want help from the Shopify Expert community? You can forget about being called and speaking to someone local. Most won't do it, I've tried. If you get a response, the best you'll get is an email that reads something alo

Cons: ng the lines of "I can do this for you." and it's from someone on the other side of the world that has no clue about you, your business, your country or it's customs. I could go on and on but in summary, I am HIGHLY disappointed with the level of support and in 4 years have gone from a loyal, enthusiastic customer to a highly disgruntled customer looking for new options.

Very easy to get started with advanced features for those who need it

Reviewed on 16/10/2018
Brandon M.
Instructional Designer
2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: For the price of the software, it is hard to complain about anything. It is super easy to set up and manage, tons of usability and plugins for advanced features, great customer service.

Pros: Shopify is very easy to get started with. It practically holds your hand with simple shops and the plugins make for a robust software that almost anyone can make use of. I use it primarily for selling eLearning courses. Shopify has plugins available for most LMS software. Simply connect the LMS to Shopify with a plugin, input the course identifier, with my LMS it is a string of numbers and letters that is unique to each course, then set the price and start selling. When you sell a course through Shopify, the purchaser automatically gets login information for the LMS and is automatically assigned the course they purchased. Shopify has a couple of options for setting up a shop. The first option, which is the easiest, is to create a storefront within Shopify that is like a website, just for your store. It is very easy to pick a theme and then just type in the information. The storefront through Shopify looks very professional and is worth it if you just need a simple storefront. The second option is the buy button, which I use for my companies website. This way, if you already have a website, you can just use Shopify to generate a code that will give you a button to place on your website. There are other options I rarely use such as generating a code for email which is similar to the buy button but I am sure it would be very useful for those wishing to email out their products. There are so many plugins to sell different ways that there would be too much to post in this review. The customer service is top-notch. They respond quickly and when I needed something, they worked with me until it was resolved. The last customer service need I had took a few tries to get everything going but they kept at it until it was fixed.

Cons: The only con I have is for a lot of the advanced usage, you will need plugins for anything beyond selling simple items, like I said before, this is a pro but it can be a con at the same time. Some of the plugins are simple and free but a lot have an extra cost to either purchase the plugin or a monthly fee to use the plugin. The creators of the plugins do need the pay, that is understandable, but most are out of small businesses', like my company's, budget.

Shopify is a Clean, Responsive E-commerce Solution

Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Chief Technology Officer and Marketing Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Helped a friend setup multiple online businesses.

Pros: If you want to stick to just basics and you need a clean, responsive E-commerce site, then Shopify is for you. No programming knowledge is required and there are many fine templates to choose from, and you can always find more. If you are interested in starting online, Shopify is a good choice because it offers a PCI compliant and secure shopping cart and payment gateway solution. Adding products to Shopify is surprisingly fast and easy but you are limited to 100 Variants. Shipping integration with USPS, UPS and Fedex is included and integrates with many popular software via Add ons. Things like email marketing, product feeds, and popups are easy to find and setup. And you can export your products to Google, and setup customer reviews with some other add ons. Having all these extra with add ons is both good and bad, and customers should be aware of the small downsides to Shopify.

Cons: Most things come included, however any extra customization requires some kind of add-on with monthly charge. Thankfully they have a good amount of add-ons to choose from, but most have fake reviews. Shopify much like other modern shopping carts is unable to store credit cards, out of the box. If your business needs to charge a customer for re-shipping, you have to create an invoice each time using an addon or creating a new order. Customer support is responsive but very general, but the basic Shopify will suit most small business owners. I am however not like most people, and like more customization. You cannot customize things too much other than what templates and add ons offer. Development on Shopify is highly difficult and goes above and beyond html / css however you can make some small changes like adding an image, or a link, a variable, or a tracking script with a look in their help center.

The Best Solution for eCommerce-Focused Brands

Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Brady H.
Brand Experience Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, my experience has been great! Sales have gone up since we moved to Shopify and it's easy to learn and teach to new employees!

Pros: The management and selling of products is the focus of this platform, and it nails it on that front. The backend order management, checkout process, and fulfillment processes are super easy to use.

Cons: If you want to make a beautiful site with custom-feeling pages, Shopify might not be for you. The homepage is relatively customizable but beyond that there isn't much flexibility unless you know how to code.

If you're starting an online ecommecte business Shopify is a Go to!

Reviewed on 20/09/2019
Igor N.
Operations Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Shopify is awesome for online selling no matter if your shop is small or a big one. You can keep it with few products only or you can scale it to thousands. Additional plans are available for more in depth reporting and functionalities too.

Pros: I like the fact that Shopify team did a great job in making it easy to setup and use. You can literally set it up in minutes, get yourself around in hours and be up and selling in a day. Another awesome thing is that Shopify is integrated with almost everything out there, you name it. There are tons of free and paid apps that extend the functionality and/or simplify things. User interface is already optimized for optimal user experience and shopping so no need to worry there too.

Cons: The least, and probably the only thing I don't like in Shopify is the traffic source attribution. Now, this is something that will bother you when you are already gaining some pretty good sales and want to know more about where the traffic is coming from. Is it because of some blog post you've made? Is it because of the Facebook campaign? Is it from Google Ads or pure organic traffic? Now those are good problems to have to be honest, but when it comes to that I've experienced a lot of issues in determining those details. There are number of reports to give you an insight where the traffic is coming from, but to my personal preferences I find it lacking in details. Again, if this is something that is ok with you, go for it you will not regret it.

I have successfully built 5+ websites with Shopify

Reviewed on 25/06/2018
Jaron H.
Customer Support

Pros: If you want to build an ecommerce website and you have little to no experience with web development, then Shopify is your place to go. Anybody can easily get something set up in less than a day and begin selling immediately. I have created multiple websites on Shopify for myself and it is a very user-friendly platform with a lot of basic functionality that you will need in your business. Shopify can automate many steps in the process of selling products, and it will also act as a central hub for all your customer and product information. If I wanted to set up a website from scratch or piecing together other applications, it would take a lot of time and proabably cost me a lot more than the monthly cost of Shopify.

Cons: Shopify is perfect for getting you going and it's great if you have a pretty standard and straightforward product line. If, however, you need to have some kind of a custom made function on your website, it's possible you can run into some hurdles. Shopify is in a tricky situation where they are trying to cater to those with little tech skills, but also needs to be able to work well with those that DO have the tech skills and want to customize things. One thing that is frustrating with Shopify is you're limited in certain ways when it comes to customizing website themes. You also are not allowed to upload your own theme. You must purchase the theme through Shopify. You are limited in your ability to customize the checkout page on your website.

It is a good software- would recommend to try it out

Reviewed on 04/10/2017
Ryan R.
head of biz dev
Customer Support

Pros: Good UI but some of the simple options available with other ecommerce products are unavailable or cost extra. For example, if you want to calculate shipping for each item (as opposed to a flat shipping charge) you have to pay extra monthly. Also, you cannot adjust image sizes. If you want a different size image for the category page and the product page, you have to upload 2 images.

Cons: This may be a good platform to start your online experience with, despite the high fees.However, I've run into an unexpected hurdle that I can not seem to resolve. I have had a chargeback (stolen credit card) from an order. It was settled, I had to pay out of my pocket. After I covered the chargeback willingly to keep my store operating, they froze my orders and would not let my money out of my account. They have started a fraud investigation on me, and requested my re-seller agreements and shipping and tracking information for my latest orders, which I produced promptly. This is not the frustrating part. I understand the importance of security and fraud prevention and would assist in any way I can to resolve the issue. It has now been two weeks since I submitted all the required information for review, and I have not heard anything back. No, we've received it and it's in review no we need more information. NOTHING. I have been calling back and they would not let me talk to the person who requested the information from me, because he is either out of the office, or we are unable to transfer your call directly to him. I have sent many emails directly to the investigator, starting off with nice and progressively more frustrated, but still professional and non-offensive.

Best e-Commerce store

Reviewed on 09/08/2019
Flutra S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Simply love the DIIIIINGGGG on my phone when I get a sale :) Honestly, it is quite easy to use it and lots of material on the help center plus I was positively surprised with their technical support, on many occasions they were very professional and very helpful. Add shipping costs for all the countries is kind of painful hopefully you guys will make some option to add the same rule for all the countries or something, at the moment we are using a plugin for that but would prefer the option available on Shopify

Pros: The best part about the Shopify is that allows you to code on the offered themes, but even if you are not an advanced developer their support is always there to guide every step of the way.

Cons: One thing that hopefully is soon going to be fixed is to be able to track the sales in more details and also be able to tell if the order is fraudulent or not. But for the latter, they come up with a good solution, not the ideal one but it gives me comfort.

Best E-commerce platform in the market

Reviewed on 17/08/2018
Vishal N.
EA
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have tried several similar platforms but Shopify is hands down the best E-commerce platform in the market. Definitely will recommend to all new entrepreneurs who are trying to learn drop shipping.

Pros: Shopify is the best platform for drop shipping and also for retailers who want to take their shop online. Anyone with no previous experience with web designing can also easily set up a shop and start selling globally. The dashboard is very user friendly and they also have tips and instructions displayed upfront to help you set up easily. It also has a 14 day trial that allows you to set up things and check out if your products are working. The customer service team is also quick to respond, I was not able to attach my card to one of my stores due to some issues with my bank and when I informed them that I was not able to take my shop online because of this and the trial period was about to come to an end and they extended the trial for me in just one request made via email. Once your website is set up it also has additional applications to help you add inventory, up sell products, send automatic emails, track orders, basically all that you will ever need to run an online store is taken care off all under one platform. I would rate it 10/10

Cons: Shopify has no cons to be honest.
Everything works fine from the day you set it up and you do not need to patch or upgrade anything ever.
The basic fee per month is also money well spent for all the amazing features.
Its all just upto you to market your products and get sales to keep ur shop running.

Highly recommend for all eCommerce

Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Chelsee B.
Marketing & Operations Manager
Retail, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I can't imagine using any other platform for our website/sales home base. We actually acquired another company using a different platform for their website and are looking to migrate as soon as possible.

Pros: Shopify is both simple and powerful. An individual could easily set it up on their own, but there are lots of options and great features if you have a team/experience.

Cons: While you can achieve most things via the various apps that are available, there is some functionality that seems like it should be available natively in Shopify. For instance, there isn't built-in functionality for customers to filter products while browsing. If you have more than just a few products, this is very necessary. You can take care of it with apps, but it would nice if things like this were available from Shopify out of the box.

Best Value for your Money

Reviewed on 14/12/2018
Jennifer J.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Shopify provides you with the solid framework to create a successful webstore very easily and for a good value. The templates they have available are reasonably priced and allow you, if you have an eye for design and a head for layout and organization, to make a very high quality and professional looking webstore with only a little effort.
I really appreciate that Shopify provides a "all in one solution" for small businesses like mine to manage their web presence. Shopify has the basic reporting I need (at the basic level, advanced reports are available with bigger plans) and integrates with many apps for reviews and customization and planning and management etc. Shopify also provides you with your code base so that you can REALLY customize if you have a programmer at your disposal. However, I LOVE that it CAN be an all in one solution for anyone with basic computer skills.
Their customer service, the two times I needed help, was responsive and helpful - so thats another plus.
Without Shopify we couldn't have gotten our business off the ground - so we can't say enough good.
I've tried both Wix and Big Commerce, but for an easy to use and fair priced website - Shopify is the BEST value for your dollar, hands down!

Cons: I really don't have many complaints. I wish I had more access to certain reporting features, but I CAN have access if I choose to upgrade my plan. But thats on me, not Shopify, because I choose to stay at the basic plan. There was one day, in the last six months, where they seemed to have trouble processing and loading and hosting my site -- but one day in six months isn't bad.

Great potential and possibility, but cannot skip tech spend

Reviewed on 09/01/2019
Kevin s. O.
Digital Marketing Manager
Furniture, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Shopify is riding a popularity wave right now which makes integrations plentiful and easy. Their CDN is fast and dependable. If you dedicate a decent development contractor budget, you'll be fine. If you try to do it solely on your own, it is very time consuming.

Pros: The interface is easy enough to understand that, even if a programmer has rewritten the entire site in unique liquid code, someone unfamiliar with the platform could verify order information, write blog posts, refund customers, etc. Businesses require collaboration so this is certainly advantageous. Plugins/apps don't crowd the original UI so your main menu will always stay the same. Finally, Shopify is a major, for-profit market force which compels older applications to update to become compatible, and also new entrants elect to work solely with shopify. WooCommerce users demonstrate that they don't want to pay for even basic expenses. In this way, it separate to two extremes what wordpress tries to meet in the middle. WP has a short, steep learning curve with a lot of interface changes with plugins.

Cons: Always another tech language that's used, always another developer required. Customization nearly always requires a developer if its beyond swapping photos or fonts. Products with complex dependent variants do not work past a certain number of options. Limited. Be very wary of Shopify's app for Google products (ads, tags). These are essential for remarketing and configuration is often better done through coding and google than one of shopify's apps.

Great Online Store Builder for Beginners

Reviewed on 12/09/2018
Owner / Operator
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I will say the first time I used Shopify I was very impressed with how easy it was to work in. I got a call from a friend who runs a non-profit. He had his designer bail on him after saying he would start the project in Shopify. I took at look and after getting into the system it was clear the other designer had done nothing with my buddy's web site. I had never used their system before but the interfaces were very easy to work in and we had his full site created with all of his products (about 30+) listed online and selling by the end of the day. It was pretty sweet to get that knocked out for him and because of that experience I have been using and recommending Shopify to clients where the system fits their needs. I definitely would not recommend it if you run retail stores with more the one location or if you need true inventory control, or accounting software syncing. Shopify is designed for the small retailer or business owner who is looking to get selling online for the first time. It works great and is very affordable for what it does. As you grow it may not be a fit anymore, but if you have sales coming in then you hopefully have the money to pay for switching to another system as well.

Pros: - Really easy for beginners to build an online store; you can literally build a store in a matter of minutes
- Does not require any coding knowledge
- Excellent interface to work in
- Great built-in tools for working with social media networks
- Fantastic choice if you have a small inventory and are wanting to dip you toe into the e-commerce world cheaply

Cons: - Reporting is a bit lack luster for medium to larger businesses
- Inventory tracking is not good if you need more than just quantity on the shelf
- If you have a lot of products and skus it can become hard to manage products; their system is truly targeted to smaller merchants or business owners selling out of their garage
- Does not sync with Desktop accounting software

the BEST e-commerce software available

Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Gayana I.
CX, Escalations
Internet, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: THE BEST PERIOD. no other e-commerce platform compares.

Pros: Shopify has many benefits: 1) extremely easy to navigate platform - they make everything so user friendly and beautiful. tons of images to visually keep you engages and interested while using 2) shopify blogs, help articles, education portal, and resources are AMAZING. This is the single best company I've ever seen that offers so much education and help for FREE. This is very helpful for a small business owner doing everything yourself. 3)thousands of apps available to further the shopify experience and add to your store to do anything possible. 4)cost effective - they offer so much for the most basic plan and you can even pause your subscription whenever you need to

Cons: sometimes the apps are not quality made and can slow down your store or not work properly, and sometimes you can't find help on really detailed things that are related to coding/building your site in a customized way. I also don't like that only the first page in your site is drap/drop and easy to create without coding/html experience, and all other pages you add have to be custom coded. This is not easy for 90% of the population who are not web developers. If they can do it for the landing page, they should provide it for any page you want to add to your site. I'd even be willing to pay more.