15 years helping British businesses

TriNet Zenefits Reviews

About TriNet Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about TriNet Zenefits

Pros:

Had been one of the first users. Loved simplicity of the software.

Cons:

Some hiring documents generated contain risky errors. The information presented is not customizable enough for most businesses.

TriNet Zenefits ratings

4.4
3.9
4.2
4.2

7.9/10

TriNet Zenefits has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars based on 821 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used TriNet Zenefits before?

Shae
Shae
Human Resources Director in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Comments: -Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros:

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons:

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Amanda
Amanda
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Our HR functions are centralized at Zenefits

Comments: Payroll, new hire paperwork, paid time off, and benefits administration are just some of the fundamental HR features managed by Zenefits. We may be a small group, but we're responsible for the same number of procedures as a large company. It's fantastic to have a system in place that keeps everything coordinated without requiring us to constantly monitor, update, calculate, and email each other.

Pros:

If your clients are willing to utilize Zenefits for everything from onboarding to benefit administration to payroll, you've found a superb all-in-one solution. When effectively implemented, Zenefits is all an organization needs to manage its workforce.

Cons:

Customers who have questions for their broker must use the built-in "help" function rather than get in touch with an individual directly. The current state of available learning management technologies and straightforward guidelines leaves much to be desired.

Asnath
Assistant Projects Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

A Revolutionary and Resourceful Human Resources Platform.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It is simple to track employees time and attendance with TriNet Zenefits.

Pros:

It is simple to generate timely and accurate employees payroll with this tool.It is simple to administer and manage employee benefits with TriNet Zenefits.It is a reliable tool for employees onboarding process.It is simple to track, monitor and manage employee work performance with TriNet Zenefits.

Cons:

TriNet Zenefits streamlines and simplify our human resources activities thus I have nothing to complain.

CFO in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Great Sales Department but not backed up by Service or Software

Comments: I love the onboarding and sales process. Every person I talk with at Zenefits is pleasant and understanding. Whoever is in charge of the software development and customer service systems should be fired. In order to get a question answered one has to submit to a complex matrix of categories and subjects. I rarely could find the particular category that I needed. Tax Services are a joke. I just received an email on Feb 16 2021 for a quick question that I had on May 7th of 2020. If you have any need for any changes that require a human, find a different way.

Pros:

Timekeeping is accurate. The time-off request and approval process works great. Like the PTO Calendar. Every task could be performed even if some were clunky.

Cons:

Navigation is not intuitive and few improvements over 2 years. There were bugs when working with state taxes (for WA). Claimed integration with Quickbooks Desktop is flat out lies. Integration with Quickbooks Online is weak at best. DON'T TRUST Zenefits to make changes to your payroll tax filings. Will take 6+ months to get a response.

joy
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Great for small HR department

Comments: My favorite feature is the hiring process - it allows the employee to handle the data entry to start their employee folder and upload their I-9 verification docs and all I have to do is cross verify the documents on their first day. So streamlined and private - for both employee and HR. The streamlined all-in-one features of Zenefits allowed us to drop outside consultants and service providers. It also significantly reduced internal hours spent on HR data entry and overall employee HR management. This was a huge ROI in terms of the money and time we saved.

Pros:

Zenefits streamlined and Simplified our HR! As the only HR person, Zenefits allows me to support all of our employees as if they had an entire HR department at their disposal. The online portal streamlines my HR management and provides the employees with 24 hour access to HR info. Zenefits provides EVERYTHING we need in one intuitive online portal... it handles the entire employee lifespan - from offer letters, hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and termination.

Cons:

Little to no phone support available for user issues. Online live chat and email are main access to customer support. Can be frustrating when you're in a time sensitive pinch.

Alan
Alan
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

TriNet simplifies employee benefits, money, and policies

Comments: Trinet handles the tedious administrative tasks that arise. They're quite competent, and having a single, dedicated agent has simplified our interactions with them.

Pros:

Paychecks, tax documents, insurance information, spending accounts, and corporate policies are all conveniently housed in one location thanks to TriNet.

Cons:

When using my own device, I don't see the need to log in every day, therefore there may be room for improvement in settings like this. I realize this may be a matter of corporate policy, however it has been brought up in previous evaluations.

Sara
Sara
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Zenefits has been a great help in our HR team

Comments: Zenefits' primary functions are human resources (HR) and onboarding (H.R.) document management, paid time off (PTO) management, and payroll processing. Our entire organization uses it, from administrative assistants to IT specialists and, eventually, even our independent contractors.

Pros:

Although the initial investment in Zenefits appeared substantial, the time I've reclaimed from previously spent on HR, onboarding, and payroll processes has more than paid for the service.

Cons:

Although Zenefits' payroll services still meet customers' needs, I feel the company has declined overall. The product has not progressed and is still missing important features like the ability to claim R&D tax credits.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Effective, but pricey, payroll tool

Comments: The experience has been ok. It gets the job done but I'd be open to new options.

Pros:

Zenefits has gotten the job done in terms of payroll and paying out contractors when needed. And they handle payroll taxes and necessary payroll reporting to the government.

Cons:

The cost is high for a small business who might not have needs for most of their features. And the service has been fairly slow. For example, it took me a month to get a new form of payment on file as my business credit card had expired. During that month I had to handwrite checks and could not use the service.

Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Great tool for Startups

Pros:

I enjoed the ease of use of the platform. A user can easily navigate to what they are looking for and support was easy to get a hold of for questions.

Cons:

Not entirely aure this falls onto Trinet, if your organziation uses multiple providers for insurance you may have to switch between websites to manage your benefits.

Ryan
Customer Service in US
Entertainment, 51–200 Employees

Simple Product

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

They keep it very simple. There isnt a ton going on in the app so you dont really get lost in it

Cons:

It is very basic but that can be both a pro and a con. It can be a little clunky but not too bad

Andrea
Head of People Operations in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

Very easy to set up and great app for employees

Comments: Great if you have mostly salaried exempt employees and you rarely need customer service help.

Pros:

Overall very easy to use and set up would use again

Cons:

It takes too long to reach a live person via chat. This used to be a great feature that allowed me to quickly fix issues. Now it takes 2-3 business days to get a response via email.

Rebecca
Senior Director of Finance & Operations in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

User-friendly, intuitive platform

Pros:

We tried a big-name service which was a nightmare. Our end users like how easy and intuitive it is to deal with onboarding, open enrollment, time-off requests, and payroll. As an admin, I've also found it easy to use, customize, and introduce to our team.

Cons:

Customer service used to be very slow, but they have greatly improved their response time.

Kate
Director of Operations in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Excellent HR platform for growing companies

Comments: We are able to manage Benefits, Payroll, Performance Management, Time Off Requests, and Paperwork all from one system.

Pros:

This program ties together most of our HR needs into one platform, making it easier for HR staff and employees to access the information they need. We process our payroll through Zenefits and they offered some 401k third party company options, which allows those benefits to be seamlessly integrated.

Cons:

Support can be difficult to get online at times. They have a chat feature, which is most convenient for me as an administrator, but the wait times can be long or the chat request may be converted over to an email. This is a problem I have noticed over the past 3-4 months.

Andrew
CEO in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Support non-existent

Comments: The world was promised, the demo was extraordinary, and everything after signing fell flat.

Pros:

The concept is great, as is the sales demo.

Cons:

Onboarding took from October to February, but I was promised it was a painless few-day process. Yes, you read that correct, February (as in, way later than the Jan 1 payroll switch I expected). At times, Zenefits implementation team would be unavailable for more than a week at a time. There is no logical sub-navigation within the product. I frequently find myself going all the way back to the dashboard to re-enter an area of the software that was missing a sub-nav or breadcrumbs. Many links don't clearly show that you're about to completely leave a section of the portal. For instance, links in the "payroll" app take you to the "deductions" app and the whole UI changes without warning that you're switching apps. I've had to correct Zenefits on: - Incorrect benefit enrollments - Incorrect premium entry - Incorrect deductions - Incorrect contributions - Incorrect wages And when I ask them to fix these things... they tell me to do it via manual entry! This is a payroll software that apparently gets every element of paying someone wrong, requiring manual review on a per-pay basis.

TriNet Group Response

4 years ago

We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than ideal. We will take your feedback and use it for training and improvement purposes. Thank you.

MiHyen
Accounting Manager in US
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Zenefits is great!

Comments: Working with Zenefits over the last several years has been great and I would recommend it to everyone.

Pros:

The integration process and imputing al employee information is very easy.

Cons:

All aspects of the software are very easy to use. Being able to contact a direct person for issues is slightly lacking.

Mike
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

Feature-Packed HR Platform

Pros:

At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons:

The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

Lauren
HR Director
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates

Comments: It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros:

The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons:

Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

LAURA
Owner in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Lots of Potential but Customer Service is Abysmal

Comments: Zenefits is fine until you have an issue and need a human being to walk you through something. You will sit on hold for literally hours until a rep answers. This has been my experience on multiple occasions. They are not good at heading off issues either. In January 2021 there was an issue where hours were not porting to payroll and payroll was due that day. As a user, I kept thinking what am I doing wrong, sat on hold for 3+ hours waiting for a rep, figured out a workaround only to find out it was a system issue. A simple email to administrators with the information and workaround would have saved me hours of work. Another current example is I have an employee who entered his SSN incorrectly into the system and now has a W2 that is incorrect. Customer Service has sent two form emails but zero information on what needs to be done and the timeline. Very frustrating to work with Zenefits especially when you have an issue that is time sensitive.

Pros:

I like that I can keep my HR in one place online and the general onboarding of certain positions in our company with the template is easy and straightforward.

Cons:

Time and Attendance is clunky to use accurately. There is an app for employees to clock in but it's easy for mistakes to occur. Onboarding is clunky too if you want to send an offer letter that is not part of a template and still have the new hire, say a manager with a negotiated salary, sign online.

Donna
HR Specialist in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Zenefits us primarily in benefits administration, onboarding e-paperwork, and ACA reporting.

Comments: ACA Reporting, benefits administration, and electronic onboarding.

Pros:

The apps are are very organized and "user friendly". Customer support has improved significantly in the past year. It is a pro that there are multiple HR functions electronically administered. It has made many HR functions in my company more efficient which allows us to focus on strategic goals and other areas. Zenefits assist us mostly in ACA reporting, e-paperwork for onboarding, limited compliance assistance, basic data reporting, and PTO administration. It has transition our new hire paperwork to e-files. Speaking from a small company of 65, it is a helpful product to keep data stored, electronic onboarding, PTO, and ACA Reporting.

Cons:

Zenefits charges by certain App usage. For example, administering FSA or HSA via Zenefits will charge a fee per enrollees in addition to the number of employee per month. We are hoping for their Benchmark app from HR Compliance to provide more data that we can use to create customized reports. I believe that the benchmark data can definitely be improved. I would like to learn more about how this product can be used as a company's "Employer Intranet Portal" website or assist the company in "employee performance or management" function.

Barbara
HR Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Giving credit where credit is due!

Comments: Love the ease of use of Zenefits and it's user friendliness.

Pros:

I love to give credit where credit is due. I have suggested to my HR peers the ease of using Zenefits several times. Our company chose Zenefits to be the HR/Payroll/Benefits management system for our fast growing company because we needed to automate and help employees self administer routine HR related tasks and help us manage this without having to add new FTEs to our HR dept functions. Our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did an analytical review of several vendors and Zenefits was by far the most comprehensive at the right price point that met all of our criteria. Going with Zenefits met our objectives and has allowed us to grow rapidly without consuming the company with manual HR/Payroll/Benefits administration. As with ANY HR platform, there are always items you would like to improve or change and Zenefits is always doing that and looking for feedback.

Cons:

Customer service is slow to respond. The time card page often freezes up. There needs to be a way to add an additional manager. Need a disciplinary app.

Billy
Controller in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Win-win-win

Pros:

Zenefits offers multiple HR processes in one system in a very user-friendly format. When we consolidated payroll, on-boarding, time tracking, FSA, and benefits admin, in one system, we saved time and paid less than what we were paying for all of the other systems combined. The ease of use of the system is really the special sauce though. It ensures the end-user keeps their individual information up-to-date.

Cons:

Customer support could be better. When we first joined we were able to pay for a premium support package but that option is no longer available. Wait times have been long lately.

Diana
Human Resources & Compliance Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

I have used many HRIS products in my career - I love the simplicity and sophistication of Zenefits!

Pros:

There is so much to love - ease of configuration, plug and play functionality, instantaneous user access, complete control of documents, transparency to users, intuitive and consistent interfaces - the back-end touches that make this system so simple to use. New hires consistently comment on the simplicity of their onboarding and the professional appearance of the documents and emails they receive through Zenefits. I also appreciate that COBRA and other compliance requirements are seamlessly handled for me. I can be an HR department of one with Zenefits as my HR Coordinator. As a small nonprofit, we look for value and long-term investment in everything we buy - this has been one of the best and most effective purchases we have made.

Cons:

I haven't found anything that I don't like or that I like less than something else. I have always been pleased with the changes and improvements made and have always received great customer service in a timely manner.

Kath
Sr HR Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Great for small or growing companies

Comments: We have used Zenefits for almost five years now, and it's had its ups and downs but it is still a solid solution that is easy to use, offers a multitude of solutions and helps us in areas that we just do not have expertise (like payroll tax).

Pros:

- If you get insurance through Zenefits, the payroll option is extremely easy. Some integrations offered for 401k. - One Digital is a vast improvement as a Broker for insurance. Easy back and forth. - HRIS interface is easy to use. - Offers many different solutions for HRIS.

Cons:

- Needs more admin user privileges. Right now, there is just a superadmin and then a few lower level admins and basic users, but superadmins are the only ones that can fully oversee the performance management aspect. - More oversight in performance management software. - In performance management software, currently a 180 review is actually structured as a 90 degree. - Support needs work, but I think they are working on it. When it comes to tax payments and payroll issues, it tends to take the longest to resolve.

Broadcast Media, 51–200 Employees

Love hate relationship

Comments: Listen, I'd still recommend them. I use the app almost daily, I log on at least a few times a week. It's a necessary tool in our belt and I'd be sad to lose them.

Pros:

Ok, so it's great that Zenefits centralizes all of your HR needs into one system. It's certainly easier than logging into individual insurance sites. I like that the app loads quickly and can quickly give me info on my commuter benefits balance or show me my insurance info. It's also very easy to log personal days. And it's nice seeing the structure of the company within the website -- it's great for transparency.

Cons:

Sometimes the zenefits team can't answer your question -- especially when it comes to insurance brouhaha. I nearly had a meltdown this past summer when my insurance company INSISTED I wasn't covered, but zenefits insisted that I was. No one would speak to each other, and only after a month of emails and calls was it ironed out. I can't say that this is zenefits' fault -- but it was annoying how deeply unhelpful they were.

Neila
, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use, awful customer service

Comments: I would not recommend Zenefits to anyone! They have a lot of work to really compete with other platforms that provide real time customer service and you don't have to sit and wait for them to call you.

Pros:

The platform itself is pretty easy to use and the dashboard is nice. The payroll portion is easy to use, but for hourly employees, payroll can not be run until the absolute end of the payroll. Even if you wanted to process payroll a little early, you can't.

Cons:

The customer service is awful. If you send a "help" email, you will NEVER get a response. If you request a call-back, you will get that, but if the agent tells you they will send a confirmation email, don't expect it because it will never come. Their benefits team is super slow at responding to benefits questions. I end up calling the carriers to get my answers. And payroll....if you submit your payroll at the 2:00 PST and they receive it at 2:01 PST, you payday gets pushed one day. I don't understand why they require four days before payroll processing for direct deposits. The customer service team are mostly really awful to speak with; they dismiss you like you are wasting their time.