• Overall
    4.7/5
    4.7/5

About Gusto

Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR refreshingly easy for small businesses.

Learn more about Gusto

Showing 2,443 reviews

Alicia D.
Lawyer
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2020

"I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients"

Comments: Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros: Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons: I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2020
Sandy G.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2020

"User Friendly "

Comments: Very good. We always recommend Gusto as one of the top payroll companies to use for our clients that are starting payroll for the first time.

Pros: I use Gusto for my clients as well as for our own company. I find it very user friendly, especially for my tech-phobic clients. I also like their tech support. They are easy to reach by phone, chat or email and the technicians are very patient.

Cons: The import mapping. This is the only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars. When the payroll is simple, the mapping is fine but for more complicated payrolls, the mapping is a nightmare.
Also, that it imports to Xero as a bill. Clients find it really difficult to grasp how to work with this. In their mind payroll has already been "paid" so when they see it show up as an unpaid bill, they get confused or worried that their employees didn't get paid.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2020
Bryan H.
Vice President, Finance
Executive Office, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2019

"Terrible customer service, average system, Predatory Lender"

Comments: The world has caught up to Gusto. It is just a run of the mill self-service payroll firm. Comparing any self-service firm to a full-service firm, the self-service firm will win on cost, though that is about it. In addition to losing on Customer Service, the constant annoying sales pitches and calls regarding HR benefits as well as the firm charging for simple improvements, such as adding paid-for time tracking is a severe detriment. The fact that it has now morphed into a Payday Lend is the last straw for me. I do not trust Gusto with my firm's or employee's data and am extremely happy that I never moved any healthcare or other benefit systems to their control. I have been with the firm since our beginning, but will be moving on to another system as soon as possible.

Pros: This is one of the many common low-cost self-service payroll solutions. It allows you to pay your Employees and Contractors and handles virtually all of the taxes and processing of payments to the taxing authorities. The interface is on par with the many other UX/UI's in the industry. As is industry standard, Employees are emailed all end of year documents automatically. The company also offers access to two-day payroll processing.

Cons: Customer Service is terrible - an absolute nightmare. When mistakes are made by Gusto, they are hard, if not impossible to fix and/or get them to admit to. The firm has attempted (and mostly failed to my knowledge) to enter the higher margin HR platform and benefits fold. The firm has also just begun predatory lending at rates advertised as 1% which are actually as high as 45.63% (per their own fine print). The Customer Service in this area (from my limited exposure) provides misleading at best and false at worst information. This used to be a great firm, but there was an initial turning point where it began to focus more on marketing than the system, which then led to the constant sales calls for HR and other insurance services, which has led now, to Payday Lending. There had been an Intuit integration issue that seems to have finally been solved. Additionally, the firm has the same problem with missed payments and 941 misfilings that other full-service platforms have, however the customer service is severely lacking and resolutions take forever. The platform also can not handle an employee working in two states (more common in the North East). The cost for paying contractors is too high which limits the usefulness of the system overall - forcing a company to keep Employee Payroll, Contractor Payments, and expense reimbursements on separate systems. I have also received tax filings from another firm as their own CSR system combined two threads and had to speak to the a

• Reviewed on 11/09/2019
Delene O.
Medical Practice, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2020

"CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP"

Comments: We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros: We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons: The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

• Reviewed on 22/05/2020
Michael J.
Marketing Consultant
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2020

"The best online payroll provider I have ever used"

Pros: Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons: I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2020
Heather S.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/03/2020

"Catches All"

Comments: Having payroll done properly and also having insurance information right there is great. Service industry as a whole has no ins but I can give options that employees can get if they are interested on their own.

Pros: There is one thing that separates this from other payroll/HR...it catches everything. I don't have to offer ins but there is a lot of information availiable thru Gusto if I need it. However, child support orders also require insurance is availiable for the child. Servers job bounce and don't always mention court orders on the tax paper work. Gusto knows, Im not sure if it is specifically looked for because of an innovate idea that the child support order is for the child..per the law. Or the software properly scans the social and does the right thing. Gusto then provides the insurance options as well as reports job agency. As a divorced mom..I love this and everyone in in compliance.

Cons: Because of all the properly following the rules in court ordered garnishment for employees, I had a high turn over. Well more paperwork for me is the least? Ill take it. I now mention this little payroll feature at interview and thin it from there.

• Reviewed on 06/03/2020
Nick M.
Automotive, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2020

"Gusto make payroll easy"

Comments: As a small business in California it's difficult to keep pace with the changing payroll g laws. Gusto helped us solve this problem.

Pros: I like the ease of use and the ability to manage employee's payroll, W-2's, and benefits/deductions. I also like the onboarding feature which file the I-9 for new employees. Another nice feature is the birthday cards that the whole team can sign online.

Cons: I don't like that it doesn't specifically track vacation time. It calls it paid time off or PTO. Paid vacation and paid time off are not the same.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2020
Land leasing
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/05/2020

" Wonderfully functional Application"

Comments: I'm only now using it as the free trial, but I will definitely be purchasing it as a normal day-to-day way to doom our peril fork blossom and company.

Pros: The ease of this it is absolutely amazing how quickly you can get all of your payroll issues solved, figured out. User friendly, especially for those of us who do not enjoy doing payroll!

Cons: I can honestly say there's not really anything yet that I found that I do not like about this app. It is very functional as I stated earlier and it seems like it's going to be a key point in our company.

• Reviewed on 12/05/2020
Jill A.
Accountant
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 05/06/2020

"Great payroll software"

Comments: Gusto has done a great job and I have been very impressed with their proactive approach to this very unusual business climate we are currently in.

Pros: I have switched several clients from Quickbooks payroll to Gusto. Everyone has been completely satisfied with Gusto's service. I will continue to recommend Gusto to anyone who asks!

Cons: I have not found their reports to be as numerous and varied as some other payroll companies.

• Reviewed on 05/06/2020
Chemestry Analyst
Pharmaceuticals, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/04/2020

"Very easy to use application that saves a lot of time."

Comments: Within the company, human resources use Gusto for all our payroll. Other employees often use it to view sick days, benefits, pay, and keep all of their personal information up to date. The possibility that all staff can manage their information through this platform, gains a lot of confidence in the employees of our firm.

Pros: The application is really useful, since it manages the personal information of employees efficiently and quickly. It has a beautiful interface that is very intuitive and easy to use. The configuration of the platform is simple and integrates very well with the Xero accounting software.

Cons: It would be very useful in the future if it becomes a multiplatform application (mobile, etc.).
Additional services should be included within the application.
The application is good, but wanting to have total control of it is costly.

• Reviewed on 07/04/2020
Alex B.
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2019

"Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business"

Comments: Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros: We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons: The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

• Reviewed on 30/08/2019
Lance V.
Web Developer
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2019

"Gusto has won me over for life. "

Comments: Time sheets, paycheck stubs, tax documents for my employees are all available to them without any extra work needed by me. Gusto takes care of it al.

Pros: I love how easy it is for my employees to see their paycheck stubs, get their tax documents, and even do a early cash out option if they need a little extra money before payday. They have recently introduced time tracking, which solved another issue I had with keeping track of everyone's hours in another product.

Cons: I don't have many cons regarding Gusto. So far it has met all my needs flawlessly. The one con I would say is that the insurance process could be a little less confusing.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2019
Andrea O.
Physician
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/05/2020

"Payroll has become a breeze!"

Comments: Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros: I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons: The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

• Reviewed on 20/05/2020
Pamela D.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2018

"We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning"

Comments: I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros: Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons: Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

• Reviewed on 14/08/2018
Trevor H.
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"Best platform for payroll, benefits & more"

Comments: Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros: It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons: The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019
Jack S.
Dentist
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2019

"Great service!"

Comments: The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros: This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons: There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2019
Brad H.
Co-Founder/Chief Janitor
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2018

"I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about"

Comments: 1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right.
2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business.
3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.

Pros: It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm!
I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons: I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2018
David K.
Developer
Computer Games, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"Former user, but returning soon because it just plain works"

Comments: Using Gusto was smooth in terms of user interface and communication with customer support, beyond the issue I had with two payrolls primarily because I misunderstood a setting. I left Gusto for a competitor simply because of a unique deal, but have since decided to return to Gusto later this year.

Pros: Gusto just works, and the user interface is more intuitive than ADP's tools I had used before. The company also seems to be more aggressive than some competitors in integrating new services around the payroll management related to HR.

Cons: This feature has since been changed, and their user interface has changed since as well, so it should no longer be an issue: We had two separate payrolls that didn't pay out on time, and although they helped remedy the situation because of a setting issue, I was a bit disappointed that it was unclear to me what that setting described. At times, normally when competitors do sales, Gusto's pricing isn't as attractive for what is offered.

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Co-Founder
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Simply the best"

Comments: I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros: Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons: It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Miriam M.
Accounting
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2016

"Want to hug Gusto"

Pros: I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons: Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.

• Reviewed on 28/07/2016
Business Supplies & Equipment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2020

"Makes Payroll and Admin Easy"

Comments: Great they do really good integrations with zappier and all the major services that work well with it.

Pros: This makes payroll and administration of the backend of the business easy. Helps us stay up on the latest changes in employment issues and filing for our business and contractors.

Cons: It runs too easily in the background. If you don't stay ontop of logging back in time to time you might miss updates and changes. They do a good job of keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2020
Wil S.
Marketing Software Admin
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2019

"Modern Day Payroll"

Pros: Gusto is just on another level when it comes to payroll and personal information. To be able to access your pay, benefits, time off and view your 401K all from your account would be unheard of a couple of years back. I am able to easily go in and access all my info whenever I want without the hassle of approval or mailing anything which made moving for me stress-free. They're even creative with their fun facts of what you've been paid all year could have gotten you.

Cons: No negatives I can think of with Gusto other than the fact that I wish they existed in my life sooner. Then again I did come from a job where I need my paystubs mailed to me which was caveman technology to me.

• Reviewed on 26/08/2019
Kalen K.
Resident Sound Designer
Performing Arts, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2020

"All that glitters is not Gusto (but it's still worth more than its weight in gold)"

Comments: I like software that works, and it's hard to know what's going to work the best these days.
With a plethora of payroll services out there, it's noteworthy that Gusto has made a place for itself, and it's seemingly done so by keeping itself easy to use with an elegant interface - in other words, it works where it counts.
The drawbacks I've experienced are then not so much the fault of Gusto but of the saturation of the market: the more employers that use a single platform, the more useful it becomes. That is, I appreciate being able to easily check up on my prior employment details at the click of a button, but only 2 companies I've worked with have used Gusto.

Pros: Gusto is frankly easy to use, provided your needs are fairly straightforward and simple.
For a competitive monthly subscription price, employers can automate up to 4 separate payrolls and isolate between employees and independent contractors.
As an employee, it's convenient to have your employment history all in one place for later reference.

Cons: While some payroll software offers more features integrating shift tracking, time sheets, and scheduling (WhenIWork being one of the more ambitious in this quality, even featuring a chat as an interface to switch shifts), Gusto is fairly plain - or we could say minimalist if we're being nice.
It's either catering to the simplest needs, or to companies with very specific kinds of complexities, such as the advertised onboarding/termination automation and organizing of benefits. For many small businesses, however woefully to the employees, this is irrelevant.

• Reviewed on 19/05/2020
Karla G.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2018

"Super Payroll Solution for Small Businesses"

Comments: This is my go-to solution for any client whose payroll we are involved with. We use it ourselves and highly recommend to small businesses. If you go through your accountant there is a discount on the subscription price. The subscription can be paid by the client or the accountant.

Pros: This is a cloud based solution with a subscription price that is less than the big payroll companies. I like that you can have employees "onboard" themselves by filling in their personal information and bank information for direct deposit. This increases accuracy and preserves the employee security. I also like that the business HAS to have the payroll tax payments withdrawn with the payroll submission thus enforcing compliance. Gusto does all the Payroll Tax Return fillings, you can log in and get them. There is no need to print or deliver paychecks, which saves money and time - employees can get their stubs and W-2 by download. It integrates with your accounting software for automated recording, another time saver that increases accuracy. Support is excellent, and they deal with any notices resulting from transactions on their watch. If payroll is the same each time you can set to autopay!

Cons: Some of my clients would like Gusto to submit garnishments or retirement payments, but that is not something they do.

• Reviewed on 08/09/2018
Sheila J.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2019

"Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer."

Comments: Had a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.

Pros: Easy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.

Cons: Wait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2019