• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.2 /5
    3.7 /5

About Chargebee

Recurring billing & Subscription management plug & play product that works as a layer of intelligence on top of Payment Gateways.

Learn more about Chargebee

PM
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2021

"Easy Subscription Management"

Comments: It has been useful to set up our automated subscription plans. Creating different plans, promos, and payment methods were quite easy.

Pros: Chargebee makes it very easy to set up automatic billing, subscription creation, and setting up promos for our customers. The interface is fairly straightforward to navigate and they connect with much of our tech stack, which helps streamline workflows.

Cons: Not much to not like. There are a lot of settings, such as reminders and notifications that you need to make sure you set up if you want to stay on top of your billing. Once they are set up, they are very helpful!

• Reviewed on 25/02/2021
Iván G.
COO
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2021

"Good only if you use the default set-up"

Comments: In the beginning was very nice, but the more I use the product, the less I like it. We are considering moving to a different provider even if this will require to re-implement all our payment process.

Pros: At the beginning, when we started using this software, the setup was quite easy and just following their online documentation we could set up everything in our project.

Cons: Things started to go wrong when we try to use a more advanced implementation using their API. Integration with Hubspot was a mess, but we manage to fix that. On the other hand, 3DS implementation is very poorly documented if you don't use their in-house components. The support team is one of the worst I've encountered, they give you contradictory explanations, they don't even properly read the information you provide and it's very difficult to get the level 2 support.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2021
Razvan G.
Founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing"

Pros: Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons: I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2019
CFO
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2020

"Just Stay Away"

Comments: I do not recommend them to avoid at all costs sign up for the free trial and process your first $50k free then move on to another company.software because once you start making money they will ask for a percentage of the money you collect. WHy do they think they are supposed to get paid a percentage of our moneyy?

Pros: The software is compatible with zapier which makes it easy to connect to other apps. or programs.

Cons: This company is based in the Philippines so the customer support for US-based customers is almost nonexistent. The online chat support is a complete joke because they just enter in "tickets" and never one ever follows up with you regarding an issue or concern. Once I sat down to track the payments that were being processed and the payments "could not authorize payment" but the system was marking the payments as paid. So customers are confused as too why they got an email says they paid but no payments removed from their account. The revenue story is unreliable and I have had to hire someone just to go inside of Chargebee to make sure the payments actually processed. Can you imaging hiring someone to double-check software?

• Reviewed on 24/06/2020
Valentin M.
Marketing/Manager/Owner
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2015

"Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!"

Comments: I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros: Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons: None! Never had an issue.

• Reviewed on 28/10/2015
Patrick B.
Cofounder and CEO
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2016

"Excellent product!"

Comments: Chargebee is excellent for subscription businesses who need to manage their payments and invoices. I would strongly recommend trying it out. It's extremely easy to use. Should you run into any issues, their support team is amazing and very responsive.

Pros: Extremely easy to get set up and start taking payments.

Cons: A Xero integration would be useful, which they have built and are currently testing.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2016
Jon C.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2016

"Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses"

Comments: Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros: Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons: n/a

• Reviewed on 06/12/2016
Jacob P.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2018

"It's an Okay Product"

Comments: Their customer support team was always slow on getting back to People and they never wanted to just provide you the answers you need, They always wanted to schedule a call back

Pros: That I could start subscriptions for my customers and also invoice them with their profile(accounts).

Cons: It stinks as I could not have a hosted payment portal for my customers to make payments and manage their accounts. Their software is heavily into coding and having the coding experience. It's definitely something not worth my money

• Reviewed on 16/08/2018
Crystal
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2014

"Stellar service saving time and money"

Comments: I've had many 'long-term' customers, who are very satisfied with my Pilates services, but for whom the whole 'buying/tracking' packages of sessions has become too onerous. Chargebee has allowed me to provide my customers with the same stellar service, but at a reduced cost because I save bookkeeping time and money.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2014
Marcus R.
Head of Business Intelligence | Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2017

"Great system but requires a god amount of work to setup"

Pros: The system is really good.
Can create multiple plans, adds on, good too to manage legacy customers and very intuitive to use after the initial setup .

Cons: requires a lot of tinge on the beginning to do all the setup. The person who is responsible for this need to be fully engaged in order to do the right settings.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2017
Ryan H.
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2019

"Grossly incompentant"

Comments: If I could do things over again I would have selected a similar provider even if I was forced to pay several hundred dollars per month it would have obviously been worth it. Now I have to make the decision of whether I want to potentially lose over half my subscribers again like the last time I switched billing systems (to Chargebee) or accept that I'm locked in for life.

Pros: Easy to set up and has a good API. Support is good and fast response so long as the issues are simple and don't involve anything technical.

Cons: The backend system is grossly unoptimized to the point many of my customers cannot be billed anymore. I was not informed of these issues when signing up and was promised that the system would be able to handle my very specific usecase. It clearly can't despite me giving them actual numbers. I've already lost over $6000 in charges I can't add to my customers' invoices and a few thousand dollars in invoices that can't be generated. For the past two months I've been unable to add charges for any of my customers and keep getting the runaround by different support agents as to what the cause is. First I was told I was violating a 150 API calls per minute limit despite the fact that not a single call had gone through successfully in the entire time period they were citing but also I'm skeptical of because each API call I make to their service takes between 2 and 10 seconds to complete. Now I'm told I need to batch things weekly because adding charges to my customers is too taxing on their CPUs. Billing line items should scale linearly but it is clear from how quickly their API bogs down that it scales exponentially for them at best and likely even worse. I never had this problem with my previous provider and they aren't even a billing or invoicing company.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2019
László M.
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"Excellent subscription management platform"

Comments: Overall a very capable subscription management tool with great integrations and great support them!

Pros: Excellent platform to manage your Saas Business. Great, very easy to use integrations with many vendors (Stripe, QuickBooks, Zapier, etc). Highly customizable settings for everything: email templates, the general look, and even the workflow & the custom fields.

Cons: Takes some time to get used to how to work together with your app and integrate everything to work flawlessly, but it worth it. I just wished that when the client has to select the quantity of their licenses, you could edit the label from Quantity to "users" or "licenses".

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Max S.
Director, Customer Success
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2019

"Basically, perfect in all aspects"

Comments: We're ourselves are SaaS product, and use Chargebee as a backend for our payments and billing. We extensively use addons and various combinations of subscription plans. I couldn't name another product that I would be that happy with as I am with Chargebee.

Pros: - Perfect UX/UI: all the filters, mass operations, detailed settings are available just as I need them, never think a second where to find a function I need
- Great API & integration support
- Very powerful analytics (especially with RevenueStory)
- Awesome support
- A very, very carefully and thoughtfully planned interface with a deep understanding of the user.

Cons: I faced literally two issues through the course of 6 years using Chargebee in production.

• Reviewed on 24/01/2019
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2020

"To be avoided, it will cost you LT!"

Pros: Chargebee started as a good product challenging Recurly but now it's really one of the worst decision we ever took

Cons: Their representative explicitly lied to to us to get us on a higher pricing in order to get his bonus and then you are stuck with another representation trying to get you to pay even to get his bonus aswell for the same feature that were promised earlier by someone else. Their management really needs to train their staff better & decide on a pricing policy that aligns interest (fixed or variable -- you can have it both ways! ) First chance we get, we get away from this scamming company!

• Reviewed on 20/11/2020
Kenya Business Lead
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2018

"Billing Software For All"

Comments: Chargebee enables is to efficiently bill clients and keep updated records of all customer billing information. The system also enables us to remind clients on outstanding payments. Its integration with our CRM enables us to help keep a centralized platform for custom relations.

Pros: The seamless integrations is enables as well as the automation that come with it.

Cons: The UI can be a bit dragging and makes it difficult for one to stick on the software.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2018
Jacob N.
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Great for startups"

Comments: I use Chargebee primarily for charging for subscription plans. It's been great for starting up because there aren't any upfront costs

Pros: Their freemium plans is great for startups. You don't have to pay Chargebee for anything until you generate $50000 of revenue on their platform. They also offer a test playground where you can mess around without breaking anything, which is nice.

Cons: Transitioning some of the data from the playground environment to the live environment was a bit confusing.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
Reza khan
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2014

"Wonderful API and Support"

Comments: I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new signal service.
From the very start , I found the ChargeBee API very easy to use , the web
site easy to navigate and the response from our specific help requests first
rate.
Our signal service went live a couple of months ago with zero problems from
the subscription side which worked with no problems.
I can 100% recommend ChargeBee to anyone who reads this and to anyone who
emails me personally

• Reviewed on 10/03/2014
Brad H.
Co-Founder
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2017

"Chargebee saved us a TON of dev time."

Pros: I love that Chargebee allows young startups to get their feet under them before charging them. The integration into Braintree was SUPER easy and we haven't really had any problems with it since we started using it. It allows us to manage subscriptions without building our own dev dashboard to do that and gives us much more flexibility than Braintree for doing so. We use coupons to run promos and Chargebee makes that super easy. We use their hosted page for payments inside of an iframe and that has been helpful as well. Again the biggest thing as a young startup is not having to build all of that ourselves or asking the dev team to make changes every time we need to address an issue. Overall I've been very happy with Chargebee and we plan to continue to use them moving forward.

Cons: I'd love for the reporting dashboard to be a little more robust and user friendly. It's not bad but it could definitely be better. Being able to accept multiple currencies could also be handled better, but we get by just fine with the way it's set up. It makes you change your password every 90 days, which is annoying to me but I guess it's more secure...

• Reviewed on 03/10/2017
Alister R.
Director of Product Innovation
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2018

"easy subscription management software"

Comments: managing payments on saas product. using for invoicing and planning

Pros: nice options available to flexible pricing options for SaaS. complete suite to manage invoicing and recurring payment. The test site for training prior to using is also very useful. We are able to use it really well due to this feature and we can train new employees on the product as well.

Cons: payment gateway integration can be a little more seamless they always encourage stripe, but a lot of spurious txns get generated on that platform.

Hey Alister,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re happy that you find our product features useful.

Regarding your feedback on payment gateways, we are constantly working towards a more seamless integration.

Apart from Stripe we do integrate with several other payment gateways and Payment methods, please take a look at it and let us know if you are interested in any of these ( you can reach out to [email protected]) . We will definitely help you with the set-up process.

• Reviewed on 19/01/2018
Samir S.
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2016

"Recurring subscriptions made easy"

Comments: A fantastic tool which makes it really easy to handle all your subscriptions in one place.
Integrate it with the API and you can quickly start charging your customers on any period that you want. With smart and simple integrations to payment gateways you will see money on your account directly and you don't need to handle the credit card information.
New product and coupons is simply added and managed in the interface.
Looking forward to explore the tool even more.

Pros: Easy to use
Simple setup
Great support

Cons: Missing the possibility to be able to add multiple invoice rovs to an invoice.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2016
Leon muller
  • Reviewed on 02/01/2013

"Great API Docs and Fantastic customer support"

Comments: I first heard of Chargebee after doing some trial integration of both Chargify and Spreedly with our new SaaS app rocketmailmerge.com. A quick look over their API documentation and we were off to work integrating their system with our billing and customer management. Chargebee's API was very easy to integrate, it took only 1 day to get up and running on their sandbox due to their great example code. As an Australian Startup it's very difficult to find a payment manager that can connect to a payment gateway to process USD. Fortunately Chargebee integrates with both Worldpay and eWay. We use Worldpay as our payment gateway so it was paramount that our payment manager supported them. Not only do they support them but about 25 other payment gateways should we ever need to change payment gateways. Chargebee's fees are dirt cheap which makes it a great option for startups who are bootstrapping their building. Their pricing is very competitive and was the best I could find on the market. The team at Chargebee are very helpful and always respond quickly to support emails. Any questions we've had have been answered in detail and the team is a pleasure to communicate with. I will be using and recommending the Chargebee billing platform for all my future projects.

• Reviewed on 02/01/2013
Kate B.
Insurance, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2019

"Love Chargebee, it makes our accounting a breeze!"

Comments: Great experience! Quick customer service replies if we ran into any hurdles.

Pros: The set up was easy and tailoring the customer front end was really quick. We had connected our Stripe account and were up and running in less than one hour. The reporting seems really in depth and excited to be able to run reports in many different ways.

Cons: I wish there was a "lite" or startup pricing tier. As a small business the cost is a bit prohibitive on top of the processing fees.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2019
Peter S.
Head of Finance & Analytics
  • Reviewed on 13/09/2018

"Reliable recurring billing platform"

Pros: Chargebee is a very effective platform for recurring billings. It allows you to create plans, addons, coupons, and invoice reliably time and again.

Cons: Complex billing situations, such as sending a customer a single invoice for several subscriptions, are a bit more complex and require a lot of meddling with the system.

Hi Peter,

We do have a feature called Consolidated Invoicing that provides the functionality to consolidate and send out a single invoice for multiple subscriptions of a customer. We will send out a detailed email to you on this feature at the earliest.

• Reviewed on 13/09/2018
Yuval M.
Head of Business Development
  • Reviewed on 05/03/2020

"Good of the shelf product, with a lot of problems when you scale"

Comments: We are still using it, but more because the time and cost to change is very high than for other reasons - and I am not sure that forever is going to be the case. I wouldn't recommend using this product if you need anything beyond the basic subscription management capabilities. Support wasn't good either. In 6 months we had 3 account managers change and I am not even sure how to reach our account manager now. When coupled with the pricing they charge, I wouldn't recommend utilizing this product beyond its basic subscription management.

Pros: I love that it has multiple options and features. And the core subscription management works really well. It is great for companies that start from scratch and need quick 0-80 solution.

Cons: The issues start when you go deeper. Revenue story has lots of data reliability issues, slow refresh rates, information that changes in hindsight. The more you leverage the advanced capabilities the more disappointed you are. We had dashboards disappear, web hooks not triggering without any apparent reason and much more. We need to spend hours validating the data and double check three times before we can decide to rely on the output.

• Reviewed on 05/03/2020
Jake F.
CMO
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2017

"Powerful product, 1 stop shop for subscription management"

Pros: We rely on Chargebee for the recurring element of our business. It is incredibly flexible in the types of subscriptions you can create, and how you want to manage them. Every single element of every customer's subscription is customizable.

Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to review us.

We¿re constantly working hard towards improving our customer experience and reviews like these

We work hard to meet customers¿ expectations and we are happy to know that we hit the mark for you :)

• Reviewed on 12/12/2017