AIM Reviews

by Tri-Technical Systems

Filter by:

• Overall

About AIM

AIM is a complete point of sale, inventory management, accounting and business software for the retail industry. (AIM is EMV-ready)

Learn more about AIM

Steve G.
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2021

"AIM Software"

Comments: Overall experience has been amazing. Tech support is there to help us out when there are questions. The training videos are full of good advice and very helpful hints to make the software work better for us.

Pros: For an all around software, for several different industries, this software is well thought out. We have used this software for many years, and have gone through several of the upgrades. When there has been an issue, tech support is right there to help resolve problems or to escalate to developers to create what we need. The training tutorials are a huge help. The software is very customizable for our needs.

Cons: We have not really run across any negatives. Tri Tech is always improving the software. The one downside is not having tech support there on weekends if we have an issue. We have only run into one or two times we have really needed them on a weekend in all the years we have used the software.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2021
Mary J.
Sales Associate
  • Reviewed on 08/06/2017

"Too Much Work"

Comments: The sales staff is very eager to show how the program works, but they do not tell you about data entry required, that there is only one check template, and that other parts of their program cannot be customized. The rental and lesson modules cannot be turned off, and having to enter tax by zip code is a tedious job that is unnecessary. Other accounting programs will do this automatically. Overall, the program has great features, but if we had not spent money on it, I think I would have knuckled down and gone with QuickBooks, and I hate QuickBooks.

Pros: Integrates POS, AP, AR, inventory, and invoicing, all in one program. They offer complete training and on-site set up, for a price.

Cons: Too much data entry to set up, which they do not tell you. I had to enter: categories (in a specific format, which I had to develop) and tax by zip code (California has over 2700). In addition, their 'conversion' consists of you putting your information in their template, and them writing a subroutine that will insert it into their program. If we had needed multiple stores, or did rentals, then it would have been more complicated. They only have one check template, and if your check does not fit theirs, their immediate response is 'why not buy them from us'. Nevermind that you might have several boxes already printed. Also, entering a customer is a complicated, several step process. For someone unused to data entry or not very computer savvy, it could be a more frustrating experience than it was for me. Their documentation is SEVERELY lacking, as well.

• Reviewed on 08/06/2017
Mathew S.
IT Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2016

"Amazing, flexible software that can do anything"

Comments: We have been working with TriTech and using AIMsi for years. They are a great company that packs so much into their software. It's flexible and can do anything!

Pros: the flexibility that it has to do so many functions

Cons: waiting for an update as the interface is a bit dated

• Reviewed on 12/07/2016
Sheila L.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"AIMsi review from That Music Place"

Pros: Sales, inventory, accounting, rentals, and lessons are all in the same program. Popups for customer notes and inventory add-ons are extremely helpful. Messaging other users has improved our communication with each other.

Cons: The lesson module needs improvements. There are too many steps to entering an absence and then a makeup lesson. The absence screen needs to be merged with the schedule screen. It could be easily done by adding columns to the schedule screen for an absence checkbox and the reason box. The program has a lot of errors that causes it to shut down. Using the the inventory update Min/Max is confusing, especially with seasonal inventory. Training on this would be helpful. The help instructions seem to need to be updated and aren't always helpful.

by N/A on 16/09/2014

We completely redesigned the lesson scheduling and billing module, and we set Sheila up as a beta tester. Our Support Manager also spoke with Sheila about the inventory min/max procedures.

Alexander A.
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2014

"AIMsi Experience"

Pros: There are a vast amount of reports that can be generated with the software, which is important to businesses like mine. Many other P.O.S's have some standardized reports available, but AIMsi allows you to tailor the reports to your needs. AIMsi also allows you to create a touchscreen POS interface, which is convenient for quick sales and short ticket transactions.

Cons: Although it's not a problem particularly for myself, my co-workers felt it is not so simple to navigate and use. There is a training version available to circumvent that. Granted, with everything that the AIMsi allows you to do, it is understandable that interface would have to a little bit crowded. I would've liked a streamlined version without all the technical back-end options so that it would be easier to train new staff.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2014
Ken B.
Sporting Goods
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"AIMsi by Tri-Technical Systems: Not super easy, but very useful."

Pros: It's very powerful software. It handles just about any situation you could encounter in retail sales (from discounting to packaging to short-term rentals to leasing to gift cards) with a huge array of reports so I can get the useful information I need to make sound business decisions.

Cons: It's not the easiest software to learn. It's neither intuitive nor entirely menu-driven, and the way some tasks are accomplished just doesn't make a lot of sense (unnecessarily complex or circuitous). And the company can be stubborn and inflexible.

Lauren B.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2018

"Wish I read these reviews before buying"

Comments: There are much better options. I wish I did my research and read these reviews. I asked for a 30-day trial of the software and they said no but were confident it would be exactly what we needed. Well it wasn't and really bad for software we never plan on using. We decided that if it was so hard to set-up correctly before we even started using it, that it would be a headache done the road. We did set-up and went for our training and passwords wouldn't work. Not even the default. They can't help us. Have to call support and reschedule training. Call support and they tell me I have premium support to use this different access number. They can't transfer me, so I have to call back. I use that different access number and just keep getting shot back to the main menu "Press 1 for Sales, Press 2 for support" At this point, myself and my team are so aggrivated that we decide it's better to go with the current systems we already have Fullslate and Paysimple. They are easy to use. Super intuitive and requires about 30-min of training for someone to learn. Fortunately, AIMsi did extend a refund for the unused license and workstation, so we were able to get back some of our money. The sales guy I worked with was super nice. None of this is his fault, it's the software's fault and my fault for not trusting my gut that you don't buy something unless it has a trial period to make sure it's the right fit for your business.

Pros: Can be set up for multiple locations
Lots of back-end customizing
Lots of add-ons and modules for customization

Cons: Expensive & hard to set-up
Windows based, so no Mac used
Can set up a server to access remotely but requires you to have multiple workstations as the software is only tides to 1 location
Supposedly there is support but I couldn't get through
Sales team is very active and reaches out to you a lot until you request for money back

• Reviewed on 13/08/2018
James B.
Controller
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2016

"AIMsi review"

Comments: In general the software does what it was designed to do. It is not slick, it is not fancy but it is useable for its intended purpose.

Pros: The software seems reasonably stable and we are able to preform most of our basic tasks without any undue effort.

Cons: There are some noticeable shortcomings in both basic processing functions as well as the reporting system. Help and Tech Support are an issue.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2016
Mark B.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2017

"Aimsi Review"

Comments: This is my first package. I checked many out and this seemed to be a great value. It has a TON of functionality of which I use only a small part. But the customer service is outstanding and the flexibility is huge. You'll have to narrow down what parts you want. It is a full accounting program also if you're doing accrual accounting. Most of the preset are for music stores, hobby shops, etc. I had to set it up specifically for shoe repair but it went well.

Pros: Very functional.

Cons: Maybe too much for a novice. Trying to figure out what to use and what not to use.

• Reviewed on 10/01/2017
Amy B.
Retail, 11-50 Employees

"Review Of AIMsi"

Comments: I have been using AIMsi for about 20 years and find it too good program.

Pros: The ability to use it for our entire store.

Cons: Sometimes when I call support I get a novice (beginner) and I wish I could ask for a more knowledgeable tech but that is not allowed. Sometimes it can take 2 or more calls to speak with someone who really understands what I am trying to say and knows how to fix the problem.

Mark H.
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2017

"AimSi"

Comments: I've been using this software since it was in DOS! The improvements over the years have helped our business run more efficiently and given us the ability to provide better service for our customers.

Pros: That it is fully integrated and easy to use.

Cons: That I have to pay for it.

• Reviewed on 20/01/2017
Connie S.
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"We have been working with AIMsi since 2007"

Pros: Their POS is very customer-friendly. Their support team has always been available.

Cons: The ease of use between the POS and Active-e is not the best. It's cumbersome to use. The rental website and regular website should offer the customer end user the same experience. Accounting (clearing accts) could be better. Reporting could be better. Tables don't always communicate, so it's difficult to write useful reports.

Karel K.
Helpdesk
Retail, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2018

"Aimsi"

Pros: Great software to keep track of everything. Works the way it should, and without a lot of problems and such.

Cons: Haven't really come across any cons yet, sometimes the program acts a bit slower than it should, but thats it

• Reviewed on 13/06/2018
Daniel K.
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"King's Music review of AIMsi"

Pros: There are really no other products for retail music stores.

Cons: There are lots of little things that annoy me about the program (lots of little glitches and things). There seems to be a lot of little things that can crash the program. I also wish that you could load templates in to the program and not rely on Word to load them.

Marjorie J.
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2014

"Today's feelings of AIMsi"

Pros: The support staff is extremely helpful. I like the fact that using the viewfinder allows the computer to be accessed by support. This allowed me to take notes as a staff member explained what he/she was doing.

Cons: The setup was more time-consuming then we thought. We were misled to believe it was a plug and play program. We didn't allow enough setup time before going live.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2014
Michael L.
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2014

"So far, so good."

Pros: It's a good all-in-one package. They have great customer service! Our sales rep bends over backwards to help!

Cons: Some steps are a little confusing and long to get to.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2014
Lee S.
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2014

"AIMsi review"

Pros: I like the access I have for both customer and inventory history and how it merges them. I get a response of "We can do that" and they do.

Cons: When searching for a customer and I type the account number in and the program is asking me for last name. When I change it to search by account number, the number is gone when I make the change and I have to reenter the number.

• Reviewed on 28/10/2014
Martin B.
Wholesale, Self Employed

"AISmi v.8"

Comments: Even though I have not received training with this product, it is easy enough for me to use for my business. If I call customer support I get help immediately.

Pros: Easy to use.

Mark F.

"Great Package"

Pros: I like the way that the system integrates multiple facets of the business into one tool. The company is very responsive to any questions and suggestions for updates.

Cons: It needs an update to integrate with 6 bit. It also needs to be able to sync images with variants in the matrix on the website.

Regina C.
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2014

"Easy menu driven POS operation"

Pros: It's easy to follow drop-down menus, and the vendor is always able to answer questions I may have.

Cons: Sometimes we have inventory numbers that don't match up. We haven't figured out the problem yet. It doesn't always occur and not a pattern we can close in on.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2014
Will R.
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2014

"Music store POS system"

Pros: The possibilities are endless. This program and its modules do everything you would ever need for a music store.

Cons: Some ways of doing things could be much simpler (i.e. the general ledger).

• Reviewed on 08/09/2014
Torin C.
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2014

"Organization to the rescue"

Pros: This product is always tech supported, has not crashed or caused issue and helps all select locations (stores) stay organized with product.

Cons: I dislike the menu set up and it takes some time to learn how to use the program successfully.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2014
Paul P.
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2017

"Too Convoluted"

Comments: Do your due diligence before buying

Pros: Can bundle multiple orders in one invoice. Linked to online cart.

Cons: Too complicated for easy tasks like checking customers out. No documentation. Expensive support. Needs to be simplified.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2017
Brian S.

"Great range POS"

Pros: The support is excellent. They are great at adding requested features.

Cons: We haven't had any issues yet.

Holly V.
Owner/Operator
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"Pleased!"

Comments: Overall we are very happy with AIM for our business. The tech support is awesome! They are always ready to help and super friendly. I love that they can remote in and show us what to do.

Pros: We have been using the contract module side of AIM for our instrument rental contracts to keep track of monthly payments since the beginning of our business in 2004. We pulled away for a brief stint to try another company and it was a disaster. The instrument rental contracts are the bread and butter of our business. If it fails, we fail. If the customer doesn't feel like they can trust us with their personal info because the system fails, we fail. It's a reflection on us. We came back to AIM in 2019 and went all in with the full point of sale system and we've never looked back. We highly recommend AIM.

Cons: We do wish that there weren't so many steps to follow. Seems like there is a huge learning curve to this program. Once you live it and breath it like it do it's one thing. But my employees tend to make mistakes often because they miss a step.
And for example: having to get out of one frame and into another one for the same customer with a different question about their account is sometimes frustrating.
Also. I really wish that an email went out immediately to my rental contract customers on autopay when their card is declined. The ability is there, as they receive an email immediately when the payment goes through, but not when it declines. This would help our collection dept out tremendously if this option was implemented.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020