15 years helping British businesses

About LearnDash

LearnDash is a WordPress LMS plugin that instantly transforms any WordPress site into a viable learning management system.

Learn more about LearnDash

LearnDash ratings

4.3
4.7
4.4
4.5

8.7/10

LearnDash has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 267 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used LearnDash before?

Levi
Levi
CIO in US
Human Resources, 11–50 Employees

All the basics covered with a great interface

Comments: So far, there hasn't been anything missing from LearnDash. We were able to launch our online learning program in just a few days. The learning curve was easy to overcome and we were able to get all of our content online with no problems. Each time we were stuck on something the documentation was able to steer us to the right answer and the one time we needed to reach out to support, their response was quick and helpful.

Pros:

We purchased LearnDash to integrate with MemberPress. Because of this, we do not use any of the payment, membership, or subscription functions in LearnDash. We use it exclusively to present courses, record quiz scores, and provide certificates. For those tasks, LearnDash is the perfect tool. The tools to build your content are drag and drop simple and the management tools are easy to understand. Integration with WordPress core functions and with the MemberPress system are flawless and we never had to tinker with them. Just installed the LearnDash plugin and got to work. A highlight was the "Focus Mode" feature for the actual learning environment. It provided a clean, good looking interface for our students and took exactly zero time to tweak. We just flipped the switch and had a great looking online classroom tool. If we want to hire designers later to build us pages that are more branded, we can. But Focus Mode allowed us to launch faster, with a better looking product, for no additional cost.

Cons:

Student reporting is adequate, but a little unimpressive. There are reports that can be downloaded, but there is no real dashboard to track student progress.

Will

LMS Management for Online E-Learning Course Catalog

Comments: Overall, LearnDash has made managing a large catalog of content (50 + courses) very easy. I can quickly add courses, and the quality looks great. The features I get with video lessons, feel like custom developement and something I paid ALOT of money for, but they are included for free.

Pros:

Learndash is incredible easy to get up and running. I loved how easy it is to create courses, add lessons and quickly get a catalog of content up and running. I was transferring courses from pages and posts that I had manually created, and moving to LearnDash allows me to move and work so much faster, plus it's alot easier for students to navigate. All of my content is videobased and their video progression features and integrations with Vimeo are amazing. The ability to remember your location in a video so that when you come back to it, it's there waiting for you-is a feature that feels like it should cost, much, much more.

Cons:

Initially I had purchased LearnDash and asked for my money back, because I felt like it was too focused on being a solution for higher ed. I didn't need certificates, or quizzes, or homework uploads, just the ability for students to watch video lessons. But.. after digging in the second time, I realized I don't have to use all of those things. While there are alot of features, I don't have to use those.

Karen
Karen
Founder & CEO in US

Easy to Use but Ugly User Interface

Comments: Lately I have been thinking that because I don't use the quizzes, etc. I could have skipped the whole LMS thing and just created pages or posts that link to the next. Luckily LearnDash is not too expensive so now that it is looking nice (thanks to custom coding), I will probably just stick with it.

Pros:

Working with LearnDash is very easy. It works very similar to the other functions in Wordpress. You create a course, add Lessons and then Topics for each lesson. For example, the course could be about How to Be a Real Estate Investor. In that course, you might have multiple lessons like How to Flip Houses, How to But Rental Property, How to Finance Real Estate, etc. The you add the detailed Topics. For example, How to Flip Houses might have things like How to Find Greta Houses to Flip. How to Fund Your Flip House Projects, How to Manage the Rehab. You get the idea... It's literally copy and paste for text and you add graphics the same way you would to any page or post in Wordpress. Also, you can have quizzes, delay the release of certain content, offer certificates and points for completion, sell your courses, interact with users based on actions they take, set timers for each lesson, set prerequisites for courses, and offer grading and badges. You can also offer the courses in bundles and even create a marketplace similar to Udemy where people can buy your courses. It integrates natively with many membership softwares including Memberium and also with many email providers and CRMS including Infusionsoft. It;s responsive and even works with SCORMs.

Cons:

Here's what I don't like. It's ugly. The user interface is plain and not very intuitive. You have to buy other add on's so users can do things like take notes, and so that you can begin to have an interface that looks better than native Wordpresss. In other words... ugly. With all the work they put into this software, it is so crazy that they did not spend time on the user experience. It's hard to tell if you're in a Lesson or Topic. It's hard to navigate around the course form Lesson to Less or Topic or Topic to Topic and don't even think about jumping around. The only way to solve these issues is to use precious sidebar real estate for this navigation instead of being able to showcase other offerings. That or your sidebar gets really long. The interface showing which items have been completed and which have not is also ugly. And while you can buy add ons, those are "meh" at best. I finally broke down and hired a developer to tweak the code and make me a nice interface with great navigation, awesome graphics and stats for users in each Lessona nd Topic and so on.

LearnDash Response

6 years ago

Hi Karen, thank you for your review! Regarding the visual components in LearnDash, these are soon to be updated in LearnDash 3.0 - we think you will really like them!

Fatture
Digital Marketer in US
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

The Appropriate Online Learning Solution

Comments: The valuable training option from LearnDash is something that ensure gives credible information.

Pros:

The solution offers appropriate learning structures, where there is online training.

Cons:

LearnDash gives reasonable learning streams, and this faces no challenges.

Dianne
Artist-Teacher in US

My Take on LearnDash

Comments: Because of issues we've had that were solved by tech support Dan, we haven't yet done an official launch although our plan is to launch on July 3. I would say that my overall experience has been a mixture of frustration and joy. It took me a while to learn how to navigate the builder, needing to navigate out of the course section to design the lessons and out of lessons to design topics, but once I worked that out, it's a breeze.
I feel I will know better what real benefits LearnDash has when my students actually start using it.

Pros:

It's course builder and the ability to clone courses

Cons:

I had to begin learning LearnDash from scratch, while at the same time learning Elimentor and CartFlows. There was a steep learning curve for me. I began when LearnDash 3 was the latest version, and I found it confusing when viewing older tutorials, not realizing I needed to pay attention to when the tutorial was done. I suggest deleting older tutorials. Also, I don't like to call names but I tried to watch several of [SENSITIVE CONTENT]'s webinars and I found them more confusing than helpful. However, I found [SENSITIVE CONTENT]'s tutorials always clear, concise and helpful.[SENSITIVE CONTENT]s instruction about constructing a certificate was the best I found.

Chi
Chi
CEO in Germany
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great customer support, product needs some improvement

Comments: I am an open online Chinese course provider. I used to develop an entire course using our own software, based on Moodle. It worked quite well, but I thought using a plug-in might be the smart move since I want to also optimize the quizzes and courses for SEO purposes. This turned out to be not so easy, in fact, it might make the URL structure much more chaotic than it is if you simply use a "normal" SEO strategy separating the blog content and the free course content. Almost all my customer support requests lead to the conclusion that I will need to hire a programmer to solve the issue. I definitely see more flexibility with moodle, if you have the knowledge to set up a server and run the moodle there.
If you are someone who is just starting up alone, or with very little technical understanding, LearnDash would definitely be the right choice. but I think if you grow bigger, you will probably need something that can fulfill more purposes.

Pros:

What I love is the customer support. I have encountered some issues and have always had a great experience with customer support. Especially one employee [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] went a long way to make sure my problem was solved. Though the problem stayed as a default setup, she truly made it easy to keep using the solution. The customer support overall is amazing. For anyone who has a standard e-learning idea, I think LearnDash is the product to go for BECAUSE of the customer support.

Cons:

I understand that e-learning products are all quite troublesome due to database issues - it is indeed a sophisticated industry. However, I still have to say LearnDash is not very intuitive to use, especially when you have a concrete idea of how to set up your course. It has an overall extremely complicated URL structure, which makes SEO hard to achieve. And there is no option to make it shorter. Each course creates a line of subcategories, followed by lessons with the same subcategories. And then when you finally reach the quizzes, you simply have a long URL and you have no other way to change that. This is only one of the smaller things that you can't change. Also, it's not possible to insert a page to describe something, followed by a question within a quiz.

Casey
ceo in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Awesome Tool

Pros:

Complete package, well designed and easy to use for a complicated need.

Cons:

Initial integration was time-consuming, wished it has better features or a tie-in plugin for user management since WordPress user management is poor. Learn press had compatibility issues with WP User Manager (learn dash restoration process was broken with using wp user manager wouldn't create user password on registration) which left me having to do a lot more work to build a user management process

Robert
Web Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

The most flexible online LMS platform for small to mid-size schools, organizations, and businesses

Comments: LearnDash has been a very helpful tool for many of my clients, whether it was small colleges looking to take courses online, teaching organizations providing Continuing Education Credits, or individual experts looking to take their classes online.

Pros:

Because it's based on WordPress, LearnDash not only comes with a lot of customization settings out of the box but plugs into a huge community of themes and plugins that can take your design and functionality practically any conceivable direction!

Cons:

Some third-party developers created low-cost add-ons that didn't provide as reliable of a codebase as the core LearnDash software. Stick with reputable developers for third-party add-ons such as those mentioned on their website.

Filip
Education coordinator in Croatia
Higher Education, 2–10 Employees

Perfect LMS plugin for online schools materials

Comments: Great LMS plugin for wordpress with simple design and options to embed every type of education material.

Pros:

Modern design of lessons and modules with bunch of options to create different leqrning experience for different types of lessons.

Cons:

Better dashboard overview is not included in basic learndash licence. Reports for quizzes could be better.

Jonathan
Jonathan
CTO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

A proven and robust tool to create and deliver educational courses

Comments: We've used this for a new course we recently created and it has been working well for our students. They provide video training and solid documentation to help get going. It can be confusing at first, and we've had to adjust our course as we've gone along and learned, but once you get used to how it works then it's fast and simple enough.

Pros:

The fact that it's used by large universities in Florida, Michigan and Washington gave me confidence that it is reliable. We like how easy it is to create new lessons and assign quizzes to them. The add-on library is fairly large to help expand its capabilities. It's a popular tool with a lot of resources online to help learn how to make the most of it. There are a lot of built-in options for tweaking how it works.

Cons:

It is somewhat complex to use compared to other options. That's partially because it provides so many options. You have to put some time into it to get it setup how you want and understand how it works, so it's not as fast to get going with as some other services would be. It could use more question types for the quizzes. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to view all of a student's essays and quiz answers on one page, however there are custom-made plugins that help with this.

Nano
Class Coordinator in US
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

E-learning Test Prep Perspective

Comments: So far it has been pretty good. Setting it up was just what i expected - lots of youtube videos and trial and error. But when you get the hang of it building courses and everything is fun and smooth. Support has been great.

Pros:

- Course creation is intuitive. - User friendly. - Layout of course is practical. - Documentation is handy along with "how to...in LearnDash" youtube videos. - It is a right level of simple. Not to the point where it is too simple where you don't feel like it delivers value to the students and not to advanced where it is too difficult for students to use. - Support is helpful.

Cons:

- I think you should have the option to mark anything complete. - Add more options to the outline of course. As of now there is only Course, Topics, and Quizzes. It would be handy if you could add homework Assignments and Handouts. Within these Assignments and or Handouts there is checklist that students could follow to check progress of there homework completion. After the checklist is completed only then would the overall progress bar change. - You should be able to save quiz progress. Some quizzes we have are 100 questions and act more as homework (so students do not finish them in one go). - There should be better quiz reporting. Being able to evaluate your own quiz (and even homework) performance effectively is the difference between succeeding and failing. If students could get detailed breakdowns to their performance they could recognize patterns, identify strengths and weaknesses, and ultimately better aim their study efforts. If reporting was to be better it also needs to be intuitive and user friendly. So easy to read graphs and charts, filter options, careful organization of subjects versus performance, and so on. - aesthetics of login pop-up page should have more customization options. - With the pandemic and current era we live in the Zoom feature/ integration should come with product.

Jesus
Jesus
CEO/President in US

After months of testing Saas and WordPress LMS plugins, LearnDash came out on top.

Comments: This software is helping us simplify and streamline our ability to deliver online training to students at an affordable cost.

Pros:

We needed many features that were hard to find in SaaS based LMS solutions and WP plugins. Here's a list of features that pushed us towards LearnDash because it worked with our stack or is helping us upgrade it: 1. Integration with Zapier (allows communication with our Podio CRM hub) 2. Integration with any Shopping cart with One-Click Upsells. We will be migrating to SamCart after 6 years with Nanacast. 3. Ability to "Recycle" LMS content. (i.e. use one lecture in multiple classes) 4. Progress % for classes so students can see their progress. 5. Forum integration for class discussions. We chose BBPress and it works perfectly with it. 6. ActiveCampaign integration for email management. LearnDash included all these features and they work. This was the *only* solution I found after months of testing WP plugins and Saas platforms that met our requirements. So far, setup has gone smooth and updates have not broken anything.

Cons:

My biggest con is that this is a WP plugin and I'm hesitant to run mission critical software on WordPress. But since all the SaaS LMS' solutions were missing critical features, I decided to give this a shot. In order to gain some peace of mind and find a middle of sorts, I decided to go the extremely safe route with hosting and chose Kinsta since they use the Google Cloud and their pricing structure is reasonable. Plus, having a "staging area" is nice along with their daily backups, crazy speed and Nginx reverse proxy caching.

Philip
Philip
Founder in Germany
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

The best platform I know - but far from perfect

Comments: My overall experience is pretty good. Support helped me a lot in the past, though they seem to be not as caring anymore as they once have been. The product is very solid and serves basically all needs one can imagine. I tried some LMS systems, I liked LearnDash the most. Thus, I definitely can recommend the Plugin. :)

Pros:

LearnDash is powerful for course creation from A to Z. The course creation possibilities are huge. Everything is flexible, but not too flexible. They are veeeery well integrated with plenty of tools out there. This is very important. They play especially well with BuddyBoss. Thus, I can recommend using both together. BuddyBoss improves the ok design of LearnDash to a brilliant maximum! I like it a lot, and I am happy to be a long-term LearnDash customer.

Cons:

Social learning, interactive learning, and mobile experience are not brilliant. I hope to see improvements in these areas. The mobile experience got improved during the last few months, but social learning and interactive learning are still not enough built-in. They offer h5p integration, which is good, but a native solution would be better. Social learning is basically nonexistent. The only way is to encourage comments on the course page, but that's it.

Luis
Most Hats 'For Now :)' in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2–10 Employees

Fantastic Front End Design

Comments: We have a small CellPhone repair shop in Anaheim, CA. But over the years technicians around the world have been watching our youtube channel, to the point that now we teach MicroSoldering online to all our students. LearnDash is helping us with the heavy lifting of putting it together and presenting all the materials to our students on a secuencial matter, pretty awasome piece of software.

Pros:

Easy to setup, able to re-use different lessons for different courses. Good constant flow of information and ideas trough their blog. Fast customer support response.

Cons:

Not able to create the lessons titles inside the course creation. In my case, I use (Course-Modules-Lessons), I can create the Modules inside the course creation, but the lessons I have to go to lessons and create them outside. (Not a mayor hassle) but would it be very convinient to be able to create them inside the course, only the titles that is. Also, not being able to 'Clone' an existing course with it's modules, lessons and quizes, but with a bit or looking I was able to find a couple of plugins that did the trick.

Dave
CEO in US
Events Services, Self Employed

Solid LMS Package

Pros:

I started tinkering with LearnDash a few years ago but never launched my initial product. However, I kept my license active and watched as the LD team continued to upgrade and refine the product. I'm very much a DIY developer and I love that this full-featured package allows me to run a very sophisticated LMS system off of WordPress. The Notifications Add-on fills in a missing piece and enables me to create subscription content wit email notification of timed course content.

Cons:

When setting up notifications, it's necessary to manually specify a recipient. If you miss this, nobody will get the email. If "user" was the default recipient, you wouldn't have to double-check in most instances. And in the list of notifications, this would be a great setting to be able to change in bulk or at least see in the dashboard without having to open each notification. Also, while I'm able to do this with shortcodes, I'd love to see a header and footer template for email notifications, and maybe even a visual builder.

Rosie
Owner/Lead Designer in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

The best Learning Management software for WordPress

Comments: The ability to quickly add courses and still have a level of quality that's right on point is what makes LearnDash such a valuable tool. The features I get with video lessons look like custom development, which makes the courses look like a great deal of money was spent to create them which is always a plus.

Pros:

LearnDash has become quite popular for creating courses. It's flexible and they're also well integrated with other products which is very important. The UI with Elementor is seamless. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to enjoy the best user experience possible. LearnDash provides great content possibilities and documentation but their support is a little less efficient than their software!

Cons:

The social learning, interactive learning and mobile experience on the website have room for improvement. The last few months has seen an improvement in the mobile experience, but social learning and interactive learning could be better and more user-friendly. Initial integration was time-consuming and there really isn’t any way around that. I also wish they had better user management options since WordPress user management is not great.

Rod

Top Gun eLearning Software

Comments: I've had a wonderful experience with this software. It does everything I want it to do. And given the new ability to use "groups" as "memberships," I'm even more impressed.

Pros:

I am a big fan of LearnDash for a number of reasons, one of which is its ease of use. You don't need much skill to set up LearnDash given the very detailed tutorials on YouTube.

Cons:

Compared to other eLearning softwares, there's nothing I like least in the sense that I give this much thought.

Drew
CEO in Canada
Music, 2–10 Employees

Excellent & powerful product

Pros:

It has many of the features that we were looking for right out of the box without added plugins. The Course Grid View feature with video previews and custom layouts is also exceptional. The codebase is robust and it's got a lot of fantastic documentation. The support is just next level as well. That's played a huge role in our development, as we needed quite a bit of advice on advanced customization for our build. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] on the support team went above and beyond, with same-day replies packed with detailed, and useful information.

Cons:

There are a couple of features that are currently available only as WSDM Labs plugin add-ons that I would like added to the core functionality, such as instructor roles and customized testimonials/reviews. But in general, it's extremely good.

Elliott
Elliott
Senior Web Developer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Not quite there yet

Comments: We have been multiple Moodle learning systems and wanted to try this since it seemed easier to setup and use. It was easier, but ultimately took more time because of all the limitations in the system which we had to customize. Many features which are free in Moodle require paid plugins for Learndash and that was frustrating. The structure of the courses is not very intuitive and we had to make a lot of accommodations to work within the confines of the system.

Pros:

It works with Wordpress so has a familiar layout to those familiar with Wordpress. Visually it looks good to the end user. Open source, so it was fairly easy to modify for our needs.

Cons:

Seems limited when compared to Moodle and this is more expensive. The structure of the courses is pretty limited, for example you can't require only certain activities to be completed in order for a course to be marked completed, all sub-sections are required for completion. The navigation through the courses/lessons/topics could be improved. There are a lot of clicks to get to the course content and it can be frustrating trying to setup a course where the user can easily progress through from beginning to end. Often we found the user would complete a topic/lesson/quiz and there wasn't a clear path forward for them. We had to make some core customization to make this more user friendly.

BARRETT
General Manager in South Africa

They Listen!

Comments: Highly recommended!

Pros:

Because all e-learning platforms are unique new updates/releases uncover errors that may not have been able to be tested because the combinations of software is infinite. LD support have consistently listened to issues raised, offered solutions where appropriate as well as shown humility in saying oops, we didn't think of that but let's work through this together.

Cons:

Learning the course software is not easy to learn. However, the more I use it, the more efficient structures are realised in e-learning course design. They've got a great team developing course structure, which often leads to uncovering up-selling opportunities with my clients.

Jeoff
President in US
Civic & Social Organization, 2–10 Employees

Learning curve but much easier than other software

Comments: I had tired other "educational" software, and got frustrated with the different aspects of them, cost, install, course building and so on. Tried out LD and it was a very simple install, and pretty straight forward how to build a course and quiz once you reviewed their videos after the install. We tried it out and we love how this software gives us the ability to have many courses for our SAR Team. With the way things are now, we are able to do much of our training via online and minimal exposure with out hands on, meaning that we have cut our time with face to face instruction down to at the minimal half of the time. You cant go wrong with the software, for the features, the abilities of the software, the response of the Tech Support with issues, and its very user friendly... Thanks and keep up the great work LD!!

Pros:

Instructs are straight forward, took me a bit to figure out exactly how to make things work the way I wanted them too. If I got in to a bind, LD support was there to help make the program do what I wanted. Two thumbs up for the Tech Support

Cons:

The thing that I don't care for is when building a certificate, you almost have to have two windows open to figure out where the placements go. You setup a fake test/quiz, with one question and use that to get a certificate window, go into your builder, and start laying out your certificate. If you try to click on the certificate in builder you get a forbiden page, Would be nice to just be able to open up the certificate and not have to go though so many steps to build or edit a certificate overlay

Adrien
President in Estonia

LearnDash: inexpensive and efficient Learning Management System

Comments: Realiable as it can handle (very) large number of users.
As it is a piece of software that offers many, many possibilites, there's a learning curve. But the customer support department has proven to be amazing to answer all our questions and needs.

Pros:

LearnDash makes it possible for our members to learn English more easily thanks to quizzes and interactive lessons and learning paths (progress tracking, personalized corrections, asynchronous learning and so on).

Cons:

It takes a bit of time to understand how LearnDash works but the learning curve is not too steep as the customer support department is really, really good! Beware that LearnDash can be super ressource-intensive if you have many members and/on many concurrent users on your membership site.

Benjamin

Poor gradebook

Comments: It's very good, except it doesn't display quiz results on the front end. Why not?

Pros:

There are many pros to Learndash. First, I have not encountered any bugs, and I have built a quite expensive course. Second, it can be integrated with with many other plugins that Wordpress sites typically have, such as Memberpress and Woocommerce. It think the quizzes themselves are great, although it would be better if you could create a quiz in Google sheets and then import it.

Cons:

The way quiz results are displayed is really lacking. When a student takes a quiz, he or she can see the result right after taking the quiz. But, if the user comes back to the quiz later, the user cannot see their previous attempt, they cannot see which questions they got wrong or right, or any information at all about their previous quiz attempt. This seems to be a very important feature that almost all students would want. I guess I will have to build them out in a custom way with PHP and MySQL. The other is to buy a plugin, but it still won't do what I want.

LearnDash Response

3 years ago

Hi Benjamin, thanks for your comments. Just to clarify: students CAN review their previous quiz scores and individual answers (what they got correct and incorrect) in a quiz. This is located on their profile. No need to custom build it, it's already there :)

Ahmed
Lead developer in Egypt

A very good WordPress LMS

Pros:

I used LearnDash for WordPress for a few years now. It's well developed, feature rich, and stable plugin that integrates well with any theme. In LD you have a hierarchy of Courses->Lessons->Topics which can be utilized to develop easy to navigate courses. Quizzes are also a good feature. I18n is also great, they provide .pot files to translate to your own language if translation is not readily provided

Cons:

Pricing model is quite awkward. I can't really find a good enough use case for a 1-site licenses vs pro 5-site license, unless I'm a developer/service provider

Joan
Company Owner in Ireland
Education Management, Self Employed

Excellent Customer Support Team in Learndash

Comments: I plan to sell childrens courses and have them hosted on Learndash. I was looking for a way to have the Parent as my Customer and the child as my User. [sensitive content hidden] in your support team has pointed me in the right direction, extremely helpful support agent.

Pros:

Easy to integrate with WP, Elementor, Surecart. Course setup is easy to follow.

Cons:

Screen flow is hardwired in Learndash to go from the Learndash Course Grid to the Course Details Page and then can be customised to go to a Landing Page. I was looking for a feature to go from the Course Grid to a Landing Page, to increase sales. Your very helpful support team have provided me with a workaround for this, huge thank you to [sensitive content hidden] !