Direct Mail Reviews

by e3 Software

Filter by:

• Overall

About Direct Mail

macOS app that features a fun and easy-to-use email template editor, list management tools, and insightful campaign analytics reports.

Learn more about Direct Mail

Doug G.
Doug G.
Editor
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees

"Highly Recommend"

Comments: Excellent

Pros: You can compose and edit emails as well as your database offline and without an internet connection. You never have to worry about losing work if your connection goes down. Great reporting as well and the chat support is helpful and fast!

Cons: I would love the ability to analyze various list performances.

Simon T.
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2021

"Direct Mail always hits the spot"

Comments: One of my oldest clients is a company that offers PR monitoring software and for the last five years we have been sending out email campaigns every week (Tuesdays through Thursdays) and I know that they are getting customers signing up to their services as a result. We update their campaigns on a regular basis and with Direct Mail's excellent interface I can adapt and amend things very quickly. For all our email marketing clients Direct Mail allows me to schedule highly personalised campaigns for weeks ahead – a feature that is especially invaluable when we go away, ensuring that our clients' campaigns never miss a beat even when we're on the beach. Getting notifications on my iPhone, via their Stamps app, means that whenever I am out of the office I am always aware how our campaigns are performing and can provide instant updates if clients need information even when I am away from my Mac. Direct Mail is a real gem; the pricing policy is very fair and you can easilty up and downgrade your plans as needed. Their support is excellent, and I must shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]; even though we're on different continents we're on the same page and I appreciate being able to have direct contact with support and not having to go raise support tickets. I very much look forward to continuing to send out compelling campaigns via Direct Mail in the months and years ahead.

Pros: Direct Mail is a powerful and comprehensive, but easy-to-use, email delivery platform that makes every email campaign a joy to design, develop and implement. It's intuitive interface allows you to design a campaign, create a distribution list and then monitor the results in realtime. The templates that are provided by Direct Mail are almost infinitely adaptable, but you can create your own formats or import templates. Either way, you have at your fingers tips a professional system that I would now not want to be without.

Cons: There is very little, if anything, to dislike, but if there is one improvement they could make it would be to have the option to use the email sign-up forms as a contact form. At the moment, when creating automated sign-up forms, the only option is for users to 'subscribe', but if Direct Mail could incorporate the option to choose 'submit' and not 'subscribe' that instantly turn it into a powerful and highly editable contact form, which you can incorporate into any website.

Alternatives Considered: Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing Direct Mail: Easy answer: Direct Mail knocks MailChimp out of the water every time. MC is web-based and requires you to log in to find your campaigns; then, you are faced with an overly-complex interface that is nowhere near as intuitive as Direct Mail. When I trialled Direct Mail I immediately closed my MC account. Since then, I have only used MC if clients are using it, but every time I push the merits of Direct Mail.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Direct Mail: Constant Contact (CC) offers a suite of solutions, from email marketing to e-commerce, which was potentially of interest, but I found their email marketing system a constant irritation. Again, it's web-based (or was when I trialled it) and found the method of building campaigns a real pain; the lack of customisability was nowhere near as good as Direct Mail.

Arne sigurd R.
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2021

"Direct Mail because it's easy to use"

Comments: I use Direct Mail heavily with DM campaigns for services and products, weekly and monthly newsletters both for my business, my local Rotary Club, and for my Rotary District.

Pros: What I like most with Direct Mail is how easy it is to use - especially for newsletters. Easy to design own templates and administer the address databases and opt-in functionality. It is also a good thing that you only pay for what you use by "digital stamps".

Cons: I would probably want a more visual way to make "workflows" and the possibility to make more tailor-made opt-in and landing pages for campaigns.

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing Direct Mail: Direct Mail is easier to use and costs less. Saving me both time and money.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Carrie H.
Producer
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2020

"Direct Mail made me happier and swear less (and saved me money)"

Comments: Direct Mail has meant it takes me about one fifth of the time to compose and send an email campaign (compared to MailChimp). The user interface means I'm more confident about writing emails because I don't end up fixated on all the fidgety formatting and targeting issues I had on MailChimp. I've probably increased the number of EDMs I've sent out by about 80% because of how easy it is to use Direct Mail. I've had a much better engagement rate from my lists, and I swear at the computer a whole lot less.

Pros: I switch to Direct Mail from MailChimp and have no regrets. I basically love everything and can't choose one. I love the fact I can work on campaigns locally on my computer without being online and not in a browser. The lists and address management is simple yet agile. I've been able to integrate the sign up form on to my website very simply without needing a third party plugin. The emails I send are irregular, - some months I might send thousands, and others none at all - so the pricing structure is ideal for my business model. I'd never be able to sign up to a program that was charging a monthly subscription fee.

Cons: It was a bit difficult to get in touch with customer support while I was figuring out the software, and it would be good if there was a community forum for users to exchange knowledge and tips. I ended up abandoning my original idea and using a workaround because it took too long to be able to contact customer support (I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, so the time zones don't easily match up).

• Reviewed on 20/04/2020
Marty M.
Operations Manager
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2019

"If you knoow what you're doing - DirectMail is the best"

Comments: Having used a range of programs - DirectMail certainly gives you the most hands on experience. The biggest draw back is being app-based; while most competitors are all online - but this is what also provides the biggest advantage in terms of tools and functionality.

Pros: Control of the whole process - from HTML editing to subscriber management to design and spam testing - it's fun to work with.

Cons: No online tool. Reporting is limited, there aren't enough ways to compare and contrast. Very hard to export reports and data in bulk. Hard to get examples out as PDF / Image filles.

by e3 Software on 27/06/2019

Thanks a ton for your review, Marty! Much appreciated!

I wanted to mention that the latest version of Direct Mail includes expanded options for exporting report data and for exporting your messages as PDF files. You may want to update and take a look. Please reach out to us with any questions or feedback. Thanks!

• Reviewed on 26/06/2019
Ray M.
Ray M.
Co-Founder / Fine Art Photographer
  • Reviewed on 20/09/2018

"Amazing"

Comments: Great product. Great customer service!

Pros: It does everything I'd ask for in an email blast program -- localized software, easy to import, create groups, build templates, send out mail campaigns, collect online data, link with other software, etc.

Cons: The only one thing that I don't like about it is -- if I schedule a number of emails (over the course of the week) and new subscribers come in -- those new subscribers won't get my already-scheduled emails. Because of this, I can't schedule more than 1-2 days of emails.

• Reviewed on 20/09/2018
Dave T.
Broker Associate
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2021

"This mailing software does it all"

Comments: We started using this software right away with no issues. It is intuitive and flexible.

Pros: I like its ease of use and the format is friendly enough where contacts think you are connecting with them exclusively

Cons: Although very easy to use could have been a bit better with a "getting started" module. We figured most of it out. Have been using it for a few years now so this is probably offered to new users

Steve S.
Designer
Design, Self Employed

"Best in class"

Comments: Very positive. I recommend them highly.

Pros: I love that this is an app on my Mac and not a one size fits all web app. The templates are good and easy to modify. Tracking can be on or off. And the support is excellent.

Cons: Rarely I wish I could access the app from my iPhone or iPad. I suppose I could get into the Mac remotely and handle a client issue that way…

Marian W.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2021

"Best in class mailing tool for the Mac"

Comments: We use Direct Mail since many years with good success. It is a solid foundation in our company.

Pros: Ease of use, flexibility and reliability

Cons: There is nothing negative to say about DM

Principal
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

"Lon time user"

Pros: Direct Mail makes campaign administration easy. Everything is built-in: templates, reports, delivery, web hosting.

Cons: Importing templates from other applications, such as Mail Designer, used to be easier. It seems to have become more cumbersome in the past year.

Jason W.
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 05/06/2019

"Beautiful App"

Comments: It's helped me design beautiful looking email broadcasts, great design and content + the feedback reports post transmission are really terrific, showing how many clicks, how many opened, what email client the recipients are using, fantastic platform.

Pros: I bought Direct Mail years ago and it continues to impress me with its functionality, ease of use and clean look & feel. Really easy on the eyes in keeping with MacOS tradition, this app is simple enough for novices and has plenty of features for expert level users. Great alternative to MailChimp and other similar platforms.

Cons: I really can't say anything bad about the app to be perfectly honest...

• Reviewed on 05/06/2019
Alan B.
Design & Print
Retail
  • Reviewed on 01/05/2018

"Fairly intuitive and full featured."

Comments: ease of use all 'round

Pros: Works well with Mac.
Very quick and helpful support.
The website is full of useful tips and advice.

Cons: Can't edit source code when using builtin templates.
Only runs on Mac.
Some features undocumented.

• Reviewed on 01/05/2018
Ignacio G.
Comms director
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2018

"Great"

Pros: Easy to send emails, tracking is great and the interface to build the email campaigns so much easier than other products.

Cons: The price is a bit high, but they give you 150 emails a month free to use as you like, so and they have a subscription by month or by email, so, plenty of choices either way.

• Reviewed on 10/05/2018
Jesper F.
Designer
Sports, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2021

"Reaching out to our core readers"

Comments: To start with we got free software with The software was free and the expense of sending mails was small - but the help and service we got from support made a great difference

Pros: The newsletter design software is awsome - It wasn't always like that but it has become a great part of Direct Mail - but more than anything we like that Direct Mail keep track of our big maling list and keeps everything safe and correct -

Cons: I don't like that we have to pay for design test

Stefen C.
Photographer/Director
Photography, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2021

"A steady secret weapon all these years"

Pros: I like it that the email options are discreet, and you can draft personable messages to contacts that you want to stay in touch with. It has been a stable software that improved steadily over the years.

Cons: Not really. I am satisfied with the software. I used it every month, but it is to connect with my thousands of contacts. I don't need it to be better. Thank you!

Roxy T.
Representative
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2021

"Usable & Unique"

Comments: I'm very satisfied with Direct Mail.

Pros: I like the fact that I can customize each of my email communications from various message template options. Within that option I can also add many individual content to fit the message. It's easy to tailor things to meet my needs.

Cons: I'm very satisfied with Direct Mail. I like the template options to chose from, and adding different options from time to time would be great.

• Reviewed on 10/08/2021
Abbas A.
Photographer
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2018

"Excellent! Love it!"

Comments: Saved me a lot of time on email marketing, can track the performance of the marketing and emails

Pros: Pretty much do a lot of things you would expect to be able to do using a marketing email tool. I have been suing it fot he past 3 years! Better then mailchimp. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

• Reviewed on 19/01/2018
Bill R.
OPS
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2018

"I've been using Direct Mail for many years, and every new release brings more and better features!"

Pros: Intuitive yet powerful. It's so easy to create a message in .HTML, and simply point Direct Mail to the URL to render a mailing. The reports are easy to create and share - in a matter of seconds. Nothing cumbersome or problematic - it just simply works!

• Reviewed on 29/01/2018
Kevin B.
Sales Director
Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2020

"Works Well- Simple and Straight Forward"

Comments: Positive.

Pros: I really like this software because it allows me to send bulk emails as if they are coming personalized from me and not a marketing piece. This gives me a more personalized interaction with my clients and prospects.

Cons: Not sure about the domain authentication process. I don't really want to bother our IT guy to have him update the DNS records just for me to use this. I hope that my emails are being delivered properly.

• Reviewed on 31/03/2020
Ryan V.
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"Amazing piece of software that keeps its promises"

Pros: Ease of use, simplicity, import/export features, messages-addresses-reports always ready and visible at glance.

Cons: The only, minor issue, is that you always have to check the sender email. There are no other issues, as far as I can notice.

• Reviewed on 17/04/2018
Ashley M.
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2016

"Easy to use for first time users"

Comments: I send out newsletters and have a Mac. This has been a really good system for a first time user. It is also cost effective since goes by how many people are subscribers.

Pros: Ease of use

Cons: Not that many creative options

by e3 Software on 01/09/2017

Thanks for the review, Ashley! We hope you get a chance to check out our latest update, Direct Mail 5.0. It packs a ton of new creative options and an expanded gallery of templates.

• Reviewed on 15/11/2016
Tim H.
Talent Coach & Weather Content Consultant
Broadcast Media, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2021

"Excellent Email Program for Small Business Owners"

Comments: I'm using Direct Mail to auto-respond to new subscribers. I also use it to send seasonal newsletters.

Pros: Direct Mail for Mac is an excellent email system for small business owners who do everything themselves. The software is easy to set up, easy to use, easy to maintain, and it's reliable. I really appreciate that you do NOT have to purchase a monthly subscription. You can, but you don't have to. I have a small mailing list so the Pay Per Email Plan works best for me. The software also integrates with Zapier allowing new subscribers to be added automatically when they register on my website. My CRM has a newsletter option, but the set up is much more complicated. Direct Mail for Mac makes it easy.

Cons: I wish there were more message templates and layout options.

Alternatives Considered: Agile CRM and HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Switching to Direct Mail: The newsletter layout program was extremely complicated and/or limited. Also, the spreadsheet-style address list in Direct Mail Mac makes it very easy to sort subscribers into groups and update individual information.

Rajesh J.
Business Owner
Building Materials, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2021

"Excellent Email Marketing Tool"

Comments: I am able to send campaigns to different groups which I have made based on their buying interests and it helps me sell more even during this pandemic as my campaigns are specific to groups. My revenues have increased each year.

Pros: I like the summary of campaign reports, particularly the number of times a particular client reads it and his location while reading the campaign. All my customers are known to me and when they read it away from their country then I know they are on holidays and I do not disturb them by calling. The templates of direct mail help me make appealing campaigns to my audiences.

Cons: Currently we are not able to have put the excel format inside the body of the campaign.

Yon H.
Computer Games, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"Longtime Love Interest"

Comments: My overall experience has been wonderful. This is a pro-level tool that every small, indie, business should make great use of. It is light on the wallet and there every time you need it.

Pros: What I like most about this software is that it is there just when I want it. There is no needling "missing you" emails, no fees for when I have a busy time and just can't get to it and no fuss on telling me how to make my emails better. It is an all around pleasure.

Cons: What I like least about this software is that it has such a tight complaint algorithm. I, totally, understand why and the reasoning for this. I am aware the industry is traditionally squirley about spam reporting. Not saying any company has handled it better than this software. However, as a business who tries hard to deliver information with lots of paths for people to opt-out, it always amazes me when people simply forget they opted-in ;)

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Joe M.
ELA Instructional Coach
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2021

"Direct Mail - The Best App For Writing Weekly Newsletters!"

Comments: My overall experience in using Direct Mail has been very pleasant. It's efficient, easy to use, and makes writing a weekly newsletter fun.

Pros: There is much to love about Direct Mail. I love the mail-merge features. A personalized newsletter is much more powerful and attention getting. I enjoy the ease of use and the powerful preview features. I truly appreciate how easy it is to layout the newsletter and fine tune the design. The user interface is very intuitive.

Cons: I would be nice to have a word-art type of feature.