Great package for mind-mapping and planning your work

Reviewed on 09/06/2019
Julian T.
Author
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use it for mind-mapping my articles, presentations, and books. It's a powerful simple tool for that. And can form the basis of a great Prezi layout if you use the clip art. Mostly I like that it's a fast way for me to scope and think about an article or book. I typically use the 4MAT model (as originally developed by Bernice McCarthy in 1980) which creates a 4 way mind-map, starting with WHY in the top right quadrant then WHAT in the lower right, HOW in the lower left and continuing clockwise to create a branch about IF? in the top left quadrant. The WHY is all about "Why should people read/know/care about this?", then WHAT is it that I want them to know/do/feel, and HOW do they do this, then finally the IF? is all about What if? What if I (the reader) do this and it works or doesn't work? What if the next step is ... ? What if it everyone knew/did/felt this? 'What if?' is designed to stimulate the thinking processes based on the Why, What, How of the article/book/presentation. 4MAT is a good process and worth learning more about. I start with these 4 trees on the mind-map but the results can cover hundreds of branches as each branch stimulates new ideas. Sometimes I also use it for building models for presentations. Other times for organizational charts or taxonomies. And sometimes I just data-dump a brainstorm of ideas for whatever I'm working on. The clip art and ability to use straight or curved lines, and format text as I like helps for communication also.

Pros: I've trialled or used a lot of mind mapping software and this is the one that I stick with. Mostly because it has two big criteria that I look for:
1. Ease of use - fast and intuitive
2. Flexibility - I can use a range of shapes and even the included clip art or my own images.
I love that it's also available on IOS devices but so far, have been content to use it mostly on my Mac. I'm using XMind 8 Update 8 Pro via a license with Setapp (a subscription service that aggregates 200+ apps for $10/mth). I use enough of the Setapp utilities and apps that Xmind is basically free for me and that's just another big plus.

Cons: Nothing to dislike really. It ticks all the boxes for me. If anything, my main gripe would be that it's not as well known as some other software so it took me a while to find it. It was via the Setapp subscription that I first found it but it is now also in the Apple App Store.

Lots of features to like, but don't like pricing

Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Semi retired
Executive Office, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I used to love XMind and recommend it to everyone, but since they introduced the subscription charges and stopped allowing people to upgrade from previous versions, unless it was the one immediately previous to the new version, I just had to call it a day. There are other tools around that are more affordable and don't require subscriptions.

Pros: Having used many mindmapping tools over the years I came to XMind expecting just more of the same. I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the usual features you'd expect of a mindmapping tool it has a plethora of additional features, some of them unique to XMinds, which takes its usability to the next level. I particularly liked the ability to drill down into specific nodes of the mindmap and create additional sub-mindmaps using those nodes as the central point. That is so cool. I also liked the availability of a large number of flags and icons that could be easily added to a mindmap. Not only did this brighten things up, but it helped to color-code the map to match my particular needs.

Cons: There are two things I don't like about XMind. Firstly, I am a Mac user and XMind doesn'd do a good job of following the standard Mac user interface. It feels very much like a PC application that has been made to run on a Mac. This is a shame as it makes it a little clunky to use on a Mac I feel. Secondly, XMind has some weird pricing that seems to have change over the years. At one time I found it to be an affordable alternative to other tools such as Mindjet (which is stupidly expensive). Unfortunately, XMind seems to have complicated its offerings and for some of them gone down the subscription route, which I think is offensive for a desktop application that requires no online services or access. I don't rent cans of beans or chairs in my house, so I object to having to rent software.

Perfect for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas

Reviewed on 02/04/2018
Clarwin C.
IT Services Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: xMind is a very useful application for brainstorming, organizing, and connecting ideas. Great ideas happen all the time inside your marvelous brain. But often and rather very quickly, these ideas fly away and are forgotten. Pen and paper works, but a digital version of mindmapping will help a lot with extra features (e.g., auto-arrange, backup, themes, gantt-chart view, presentation, easy sharing, etc.)

Pros: Mindmapping helps me to be creative, to organize and connect my ideas into an easily readable format. xMind has been my go-to mindmapping software for this. I'm using version 8, and it has a much better UI (than other similar apps). The Pro features like Gantt-Chart helps me to use it for Project Implementations. The Walk-through (Presentation Mode) is great for presentation during meetings. It also allows to export to multiple formats like Jpg, pdf, etc. Also, backup using xMind Cloud works great for backup and easy sharing. There are many pre-installed themes to make your mindmaps look formal or fun, or colorful, etc. There are similar apps which are Cloud-based, but I prefer to have xMind, which is installed locally and available for use offline (since I'm not always connected to the Internet).

Cons: I'm using xMind on a Macbook, but it seems that up to now, smooth scrolling is not yet fixed by their devs. This has been brought up since 2014 (you may Google it) but still not supported. It's a shame because for me, Mac has the best touch pad/scrolling. On the other hand, I've used xMind in Windows and it scrolls smoothly using the trackpad/mouse with no problems.

Full-featured Mindmap Tool

Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Josemaria G.
Vice Director for External Affairs
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Xmind and Mindmapping (in general) is a must for everybody. It helps one to organize our brains that's full of ideas. It just comes out naturally as we connect nodes of concepts/ideas. Pro features are worth the price you pay for (e.g., brainstorming mode, presentation mode, gantt chart view). Sharing and backup is not a problem. And it allows you to sync across different devices (smartphone, laptop). The export feature is A+ as well. It allows for easy conversion to high-res images, to pdf, to freemind (other mindmap formats).

Pros: Xmind helps me organize my ideas into a mindmap that is easy to manage (add, remove, connect nodes). The presentation feature is very helpful whenever I use my mindmap as a storyboard outline during meetings. I likewise use this app for Project Management. All project elements are mapped out and there's even a feature to put checkboxes, brainstorming, and gantt chart view. The Windows version works flawlessly (scrolling etc.). For the Mac version, see below.

Cons: The Mac version still does not support smooth scrolling via Mouse/Touchpad. It makes it frustrating to navigate the mindmap. This has been reported a few years back, but still the same. Support/Dev team doesn't seem to be listening to public clamor.

XMind is more than just a mind mapping tool. It's everything I need in a productivity tool.

Reviewed on 02/10/2018
Team Lead
Legal Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: XMind is very good tool with self explanatory UI. With the complete set of templates for various requirements, presentation mode to have a brainstorm session with the team, gantt chart mode for project management (just like Microsoft Project), embedding picture/audio/attachment in the node, export to pdf or image, It really helps me to complete my daily job in gathering requirements, discussion with the team, brainstorming, presentation and project management.
I only wish that the mobile version is provided without subscription fee when we have purchased the desktop version.

Pros: This application runs cross platforms. It works on my Mac, Windows machine also mobile devices. It has different kind of templates (mind map, org chart, logic chart, design, presentation mode, gantt chart mode for project management).
What I like the most is I can also use it as a brainstorming tool for the development work as I can drop the node freely anywhere by clicking on the empty space. I can also easily add the flexible connection arrow between nodes. It also provide the export functionality to different type of files such as image, PDF and html.

Cons: The performance of the startup is very slow. It may take minutes sometime to load the application. Because of this, everytime I start my computer, I need to make sure I open the application to have it standby all the time.

Quick, simple, easy to understand

Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Nichole S.
Digital Marketing Specialist
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I can illustrate complex processes quickly in a short amount of time. When I show my mindmaps to coworkers they're impressed and can easily understand the concept I'm trying to get across, which is a timesaver when we're trying to brainstorm the process behind a complicated project.

Pros: I like being able to illustrate complex processes quickly and simply. I use XMind often when brainstorming how to complete a project or show visually how a process works to my coworkers. It's easy to learn, and even the free version gives us enough options that it meets our needs. I was introduced to mindmapping by a coworker a couple of years ago, which is how I found XMind, and have used it frequently ever since.

Cons: Sometimes the layout of the tree you make can look a little strange and there's no way to change it. I wish we had a little more control over the spacing between the boxes and the lines connecting them, as sometimes a box can hang out too far or too close in your tree, and that can make things a little less visually appealing, but overall I don't have any major complaints.

Mind mapping should be taken more seriously. This is the mobile tool for learning and applying it

Reviewed on 15/05/2019
Lucas M.
Proofreader
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Mind mapping is a very powerful tool for learning, as it allows me to put my thoughts on paper and actually see complex relations I am making when thinking, but otherwise would not be able to focus on minutiae of the topics because of the need to "sustain" the structure of the train-of-thought on the back of my mind. XMind is the first app for Android that meets the criteria of having all the tiny functions I need to put the thought down exactly as I had it in my mind, and eventually find loopholes and points where a reasoning is weak. This app can be very helpful for someone to find bad habits of thought and biases one has, as they become move evident when placed somewhere that can be analyzed or shared. Mind mapping education should be mandatory for any researcher, writer or public speaker, and this is the most complete tool for mind mappin I found on mobile Also, this app can be used both on PC and Android and is the best mind map creator I have found for the latter (I have tried a few before).

Cons: A feature that should be added (I recognize it might not be easy) is automatic synchronization between different platforms. However, the effort of the development team is evident, by the amount of resources available

Native App for Mindmapping

Reviewed on 29/03/2019
Alvaro M.
Account Manager
Utilities, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Mind mapping tools abound. Xmind is my preferred native mind mapping application for its feature set, ease of use for brainstorming, organizing ideas, and even project management.

Pros: I've used XMind for quite some years now and I have seen how much it has matured and the devs keep on refining and adding new features to it. 1. Presentation Mode - I find using Xmind easy for presentations in terms of navigation, options for branch/child expand/collapse or even the focus/blur. 2. Brainstorming Mode - I really love this new feature which helps me and my team to focus on bringing as many ideas as possible without filtering. Xmind facilitates capturing all these ideas into digital form. 3. Xmind Zen is a complete re-write of the Xmind main app. And it is more responsive and modern.

Cons: I wish they would consider my suggestion to save up and maximize screen real estate. The Top and Sidebars take so much space. Also, the icons tend to be too pixelated when zoomed in.

Fantastic software for mind maps, diagrams and simple info-graphic solutions

Reviewed on 21/09/2017
Edo M.
manager
Biotechnology, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This software can be used by any sized company. User interface is simple, clean and easy to understand and master it in short period of time. Plenty of options give opportunity for different level of design (from simple diagrams to relatively challenging info-graphics).

Pros: This version of XMIND (v8 update 4) is a fantastic solution for:
- mind mapping,
- diagrams of different kind,
- info-graphics
User interface is a nice, clean with adequate number of icons (options) in toolbars (horizontal and vertical) and only one menu bar . Most of options are always available during work and can be accessed immediately when needed. And there are plenty of options.
OUTLINE - is full of options, with different filters.
TOPIC FORMAT - many options are available (there is place to improve)
CLIP ART / ICON FINDER - plenty of media to choose from
MARKERS - are made nicely, with several options to choose from
THEMES - are nice (there is place to improve)
NOTES - are linked to topics, nice feature
COMMENTS - are similar to notes but with time when inserted, also linked to topic
TASK INFO - sometimes can be of use.

Cons: This program, on my PC (WIN10, 4 Gb RAM), is very slow in some operations, especially loading. Cloud operations can be better defined.

Performance & Reliability woes

Reviewed on 28/05/2019
Head of IT
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: It's a desktop application! This is a boon with the current cult-of-the-cloud (AKA someone else's computer). You can use it offline and navigate&edit quickly with keyboard shortcuts. Fast to use (until you want to save!)

Cons: Performance is a nightmare. The minute you mind maps have any scale they start to take >1minute to save. I have a high-powered Win 10 machine with 24GB of ram and it makes no noticable difference compared to my laptop. This is a problem if you want to save often as It crashes. As the mind maps get larger, xmind tends to crash more often which means you get paranoid about loosing work and have to save more often. When it takes 2mins after a CTRL+S it really takes you out of your flow Newer version are subscription based! Such a shame.

Free your mind from all the clutter

Reviewed on 12/01/2019
David G.
IT Project Manager
Investment Management, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Mind mapping in general is great way of unleashing the power of our brains! XMind is just a wonderful and easy-to-use software that can facilitate this work. It comes with all the useful features like auto-arrange, adding comments, icons, and it comes with many user templates to begin with. XMind can import your mindmaps to several formats (freemind, pdf, png/jpg, etc). I also love the brainstorming mode, and the presentation mode which I've frequently used for business meetings.

Cons: Too sad that XMind Cloud closed down. But it's ok since I can just save my xmind files on my shared drive. Also, the icons get easily pixelated when the mindmap is zoomed in or when printing in larger scale.

Mind Mapping Made Easy

Reviewed on 14/12/2017
Andy R.
Vice President of Marketing
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've tried a variety of mind mapping products and none of them hold a candle to Xmind. Part of a very specific niche of software, Xmind's most powerful attribute is its simplicity. It doesn't try to do too much and what it does it does very well!!

Pros: I've used XMind for the better part of 5 years and it works exactly as intended. I've used it for everything from setting up website information architecture to mapping out org charts for the business. It's super intuitive and easy to use, with built in templates to help make development a snap. There are a variety of uses and XMind does a great job of illustrating the possibilities through their templates and tutorials.

Cons: XMind features 'drag and drop' technology that allows users to rearrange secondary and tertiary items as needed after creation. While a great concept in theory, the functionality can be a bit clunky at times, not allowing the user to drop the item in the desired location. The user interface makes building and modifying mind maps easy but it isn't the most attractive thing to look at - it could use a refresh and some modernization.

Excellent Mind Mapping Tool for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas!

Reviewed on 30/06/2018
Jorden B.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: XMind is simple, intuitive and easy to use. It has a lot of features that will let your mind map look and feel the way you want it to. You have access to pre-installed themes which can make your maps look really neat. You can have xmind stored locally on your computer or the cloud. I like how they give you the option to do so. I love how they have included a Gnatt view which can let you see start and end dates, priority and progress of the tasks. You have the ability to export the mind maps to other formats but only for the paid versions.

Cons: Xmind has a free version and paid version. With the free version, you are limited to a few ways you can export the mind map. Which is expected as the paid version should give you all the features and the free should just give you a taste of what it can do. I think navigating around the mind map could be a little easier as I have seen other tools like MindMeister be able to navigate easier. Not a deal breaker at all though.

Beautiful and useful mind mapping tool

Reviewed on 20/04/2019
Main editor
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: XMind lets you create powerful mindmaps. Default styles for the templates are pretty beautiful, and the software is easy to use. You can use different layouts to show different information (not only classical mindmaps, but org chart and lists too), and even combine them. You can save the maps locally or in the cloud. There are now two versions of the software, a buyable one that does not look like it will have lots of updates, and the subscription one.

Cons: The software can be slow sometimes if you use big files or have a medium-old computer. The mobile apps are not as intuitive as the desktop apps, but that is something to expect du to the device limitations.

Mind Mapping Tool as it should be

Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Volodymyr B.
Marketing Content Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: XMind is great mindmapping tool that gets the job done nice and clean.

Pros: Mindmapping is nice and easy way to keep your brain fit and ready for unconventional action. However, it is often challenging to capture the brainstorming flow in an adequate manner. XMind makes this a lot easier. In terms of User Experience, XMind is as good as it gets with this kind of tools. You don't need to spend a lot of time wondering how to make your mind map - everything is on the surface. I really like the Presentation Mode. It is very useful in cases when you need to present a bunch of complicated concepts, explain the connections and tie them together without losing anyone.

Cons: XMind can be slow at times and it can crawl and drag if your file is too big. Sometimes d&d files make a mess if you miss the mark.
The biggest problem with XMind comes with free versions as there are certain functional limitations. But it is more of a problem for those who don't use XMind as frequently as I am.

Great mindmapping tool that I now cant live without

Reviewed on 12/03/2019
Joshua G.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I regularly recommend this software to anyone who will listen.

Pros: It is super quick and easy to start and built out a mind map and with the new Zen version you can create even better looking versions of mind maps which can be client facing.

Cons: Making it easier to add custom images and icons would be a nice addition

Excellent tool for mind mapping

Reviewed on 07/12/2017
Juan T.
QA Director - FIS Mobile
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: An easy tool to present ideas using more of an image format in a collaborative way.

Pros: The free version is feature rich and can get you going right away, the built-in templates are great starting points. The fact that the free version is available makes it easy to send files to share and not worry about someone being able to open it since there is a free version. The paid version adds a slew of functionality and the ability to export the file into various formats.

Cons: Not too many cons here as the tool is feature rich, larger files can take a bit to load and print options are not the greatest but I see this as more of a tool for sharing on computers.

XMind has revolutionized how I brainstorm and plan strategy for my business

Reviewed on 11/01/2018
Danny E.
C.E.O, Founder
Aviation & Aerospace, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Mind Mapping not a completely new concept, but XMind makes it incredibly simple to change the way you brainstorm. You immediately jump into a blank map and with very easy shortcut keys you can start dropping all of your ideas onto a page. Everything is easy to move around, connect to other ideas, or add notes to. They have added great colors and icons to help sort your ideas. It is also very affordable for the pro version with a one time payment fee.

I use XMind to manage information in visual way, to create notes & presentations in many views.

Reviewed on 06/02/2018
Wojciech K.
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: time saver, notes keeper, presentations option

Pros: XMind has great options to present information in many, different ways - as timeline, trees, org charts,... If we use task information, we can manage topics with Gantt chart view. It's easy to share documents in many ways. It's easy to develop document with visual elements like icons and images.

Cons: It would be great to see more advanced options in project management controlling area and maybe cooperation with MS Excel as data source.

A great replacement at an excellent price!

Reviewed on 22/04/2019
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I have been an avid user of mind mapping software for more than a decade ,however, ever since I moved over to mac I have not found a great replacement for Mind Manager (which I used on Windows). After trying several other options I recently tried XMind and I am incredibly happy with the experience - it ticks all the boxes I wanted and also ticked a few that I did not know I needed until now. Some of the good points are easy and quick visual mind mapping. It also allows clear and visual relationships, groupings and icons.
The price is amazing at only a few dollar per month. The experience of onboarding was also very simple.

Cons: At this point I do not have anything negative to say about XMind - excellent software at a great price.

Favourite mind-mapping tool

Reviewed on 23/06/2019
Vincent po B.
Managing Director & Global Chief Marketing & Technology Officer
Information Services, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall satisfied with Xmind, my go-to mind-mapping tool.

Pros: I used to use Freemind (Xmind is a fork of Freemind) and Xmind is the mind-mapping tool I keep going back to, despite all the cloud-based mind-mapping apps, I still prefer Xmind (I don't use Xmind's cloud service though).
I use mind-mapping very frequently and Xmind is still my favourite go-to mind-mapping tool.

Cons: Would love to see a free cloud-based version of this (vs only a desktop app).

Powerful desktop mind mapping tool, hindered by a lack of collaboration and mobile support.

Reviewed on 10/10/2017
Richard S.
Software Engineer
201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use it primarily for brainstorming, it helps to be able to capture ideas and draw relationships between similar concepts. It is also helpful for creating charts and data visualizations for my team.

Pros: Fast and intuitive mind mapping with great support for images and documents. Many available layouts and custom themes. Cloud sync between devices, keyboard shortcuts, and a few project management features.

Cons: Limited completely to the desktop. Powerful, but also overly complex, takes time to learn. Cannot freely position elements, must use pre-defined layouts. Cloud synchronization is aggravating, often results in conflicts and duplicate documents.

Clean and Intuitive

Reviewed on 30/04/2018
Ken A.
Customer Support

Pros: I'm using XMind on my new iMac and it's great. I use Mac because I like how the operating system and hardware stays out of my, so I can complete my work. XMind follows this philosophy of minimalism design with maximum functionality. There is also a "zen mode" which is full screen with no menus. I quickly figured the most basic functions and keystrokes without a tutorial or guide. Minimal and intuitive!

Cons: The cost is kind of high for a mind mapping tool. After all, I'm not sure how much I will use the software on a daily basis to warrant subscribing every six months. But then again, when I factor in my time, and the incalculable value of 'getting things done'. It seems to be well worth it.

Mapping my mind is now easier

Reviewed on 15/06/2019
Jovana V.
Writer
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am overall very satisfied. Briefly tried other alike software but they were too hard to navigate as a beginner. XMind was the most intuitive and I find my way around quite easily.

Pros: It is fairly intuitive, I struggled with figuring out one or two features but nothing too complicated. Other similar software was far more complicated.

Cons: I would prefer the option for different map's design. At least options like standard, minimal and some embellished version. The design is a little bit the early 2000s.

Excellent mindmapping and diagram tool

Reviewed on 25/03/2019
Ana M.
Administrator
Wholesale, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very good (but slightly) slow software for mind-mapping and diagrams in general.

Pros: There are enough already made templates for standard projects. Nice and simple graphic interface. Plenty of editing options. Plenty of options in context menu so user don't have to look in menus. Themes are a nice feature. Text editor as docked feature. Subscription price for ZEN version is e really good deal.

Cons: More editing freedom, as sometimes user can't manipulate position of topics/subtopics (or is automatically docked or is far away). Relatively slow for off-line solution (response time of docked features). Price (of PRO version) is too expensive.