15 years helping British businesses

About OTRS

Fully-managed service management solution with ticketing, workflow automation & notifications for ITSM, Customer Svc and Security.

Learn more about OTRS

Pros:

OTRS has been the primary unit for setting efficient customer service delivery system. It has created reliable collaboration infrastructure for better employee engagement.

Cons:

This is an open source tool, so you get what you pay for.

OTRS ratings

4.2
4.3
4.4
4.4

8.5/10

OTRS has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 88 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used OTRS before?

Omar
Omar
Technical Coordinator in US
Higher Education

Opensource framework with modern front-end and perl backend

Comments: Low-cost, scalabale solution that could handle multiple trouble ticket queues within one software context.

Pros:

Highly customizable. Perl backend "makes sense" and isn't opaque like some designs. It runs as a set of CGI, so that allows it to be wedged into most any webserver environment. We found it simple to run within an Apache / Linux environment.

Cons:

The CGI-based design is relatively inefficient and can be sluggish without making some optimizations on the webserver side -- mod_perl in our case (relatively complicated). Docs are a bit sparse, though customer service is responsive.

6 years ago

Thanks for taking time to share your experience, Omar.

Alan
Alan
Consulting Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

OTRS is great for small to midsize businesses

Comments: It's a great daily ticket email system.

Pros:

I love the ticket handling and speed of the interface. It's basic layout offers the basics you need to get up and running with a ticketing system.

Cons:

The support is little to non-existent but that is expected with the free tier.

2 years ago

Thank you for the positive words. To clarify, OTRS has both support and functionality that extend beyond what is offered with ((OTRS)) Community Edition.

Rene
IT System Engineer in Italy
Chemicals, 501–1,000 Employees

There are better Systems

3.0 last month New

Comments: We changed to Aagon ACMP and are pretty happy with it.

Pros:

It is pretty cheap and does what is intended for.

Cons:

not very flexible. many aspects are missing.

last month

Thank you for the candid response. It sounds as though OTRS did not match well with your use case. Glad to hear you've found a solution that works for you.

Information Services, 51–200 Employees

Best IT ticket handling

Pros:

It has all features that requires for our ticket system to have the best customer support. Tickets can be easily to manage and track the progress. Not to tell that it also does not take time of implementation with a clear documentation. The dashboard provides a great view to work on.

Cons:

We rarely get issues with it. Only the customization need to be improved as well as the technical support from OTRS

3 months ago

Glad to hear that OTRS is working well as your IT ticket handling system.

Annie
Annie
IT Service Desk in India
Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Pretty decent, but it does have a few flaws

Comments: IT Asset Management got easy for us. Thank you for coming up with this application

Pros:

The application is pretty quick and the administrators are able to bring about changes quickly aswell. We create FAQs and SOPs and add it to OTRS which makes it a great internal Knowledge Base. We also use it as a IT Asset management tool.

Cons:

Its not the most fanciest application, but I am used to this now and I love it. No issues in the past 4 years

6 years ago

We're glad that it's helped with your IT Asset Management efforts. Thanks for taking time to share the review.

Valerie
Valerie
Frontend Developer in Moldova
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Advanced customer service management application

Comments: We have been able to automate workflow processes and improve service delivery to our customers. OTRS has minimized cost of operations and boosted productivity from all the departments.

Pros:

Cons:

The quality of service and feature functionalities have complied with our policies.

3 months ago

Customers play such an important part in our work - glad to hear that OTRS is supporting you well as you deliver service. Appreciate you taking time to write.

Gustavo
Gustavo
Middleware Manager in El Salvador
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

OTRS a complex tool for the creation of Tickets.

Comments: My experience with this tool is to be able to follow the requirements of our customers through the Tickets in OTRS.

Pros:

This tool complies with the necessary requirements to carry out ticket controls and cases attended. It is a very modifiable tool in relation to administration.

Cons:

In my case the disadvantages of this tool is that the user interface is very cumbersome and very unintuitive. The creation of the tickets is very complicated for me. It is necessary to have previous knowledge or to have received an induction to be able to use this tool.

5 years ago

Thanks for taking time to write in Gustavo. The feedback is always appreciated. I don't know if you've had a chance to see the newly released OTRS 7: the external interface was updated with this release, and that's the start of changes to come with respect to the interface. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Ethan
Ethan
Network Security Engineer in Ireland
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Excellent workflow management software

Comments: The product has enhanced efficient implementation of projects and reliable management of workflows. It has enabled the organization to execute effective service delivery to our customers.

Pros:

OTRS provides effective tools for monitoring workflow progress. It sends notifications to my teams on tasks and reports based on real time performance. It can be easily customized to suit our workflow programs.

Cons:

I have not experienced performance downtimes since deployment.

4 months ago

Glad to hear OTRS provides help to your team with workflow management. Appreciate you taking time to review.

stefano
stefano
manager in Italy
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

useful tool for customer support

5.0 last month New

Pros:

it helps our business to manage customer interactions in a simple but effective way

Cons:

i would like to have more tools to automate repetitive tasks

last month

Thanks for writing and glad to hear it's helped with customer support. It may help to explore process management in order to automate some of those tasks. Here's a link to the documentation: https://academy.otrs.com/doc/admin/processes-automation/

Martina
Martina
Photographer in Italy
Photography, 11–50 Employees

Good Experience

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The processing of a ticket is a really fast process, and has the main features required to provide customers support.

Cons:

OTRS is not much intuitive, so if you're looking for an easy to use software, this one isn't for you.

2 months ago

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. Glad OTRS is working for your customer support needs.

Mike
Treasurer in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

OTRS has been a fabulous tool for tracking customer interactions

Comments: Our customer service improved because we no longer lost track of calls,follow ups, etc.

Pros:

Flexibility: We can add/remove queues easily; we can define sequences of events, custom fields, link to external client DBs, etc.

Cons:

Performance is "run of the mill"... but then, I'm also on fairly run of the mill hardware, too. Recent versions have vastly improved the GUI interface. However, it is fairly dense - which I actually consider a Pro (efficient) but some people think it's distracting (cluttered).

6 years ago

Dear Mike, thank you very much for such a great review. We work really hard to offer one of the most flexible help desk systems on the market, so I'm happy to see that reflects on your experience with our software. Easily adjusting the system to your needs is one of the core benefits of OTRS and it will be even simpler with the new admin GUI of OTRS 6. Best regards, OTRS

Georges
Service Manager in Luxembourg
Telecommunications, 201–500 Employees

With ITSM awareness and maturity, OTRS can be successfully adopted and adapted.

Comments: Organize and Improve Desk and Operation functions. The value and level of services delivered by our department/team is better understood internally. Customer expectation is managed properly, therefore leading to improvements in customer experience.

Pros:

Adaptability to agents organization and processes. ITIL orientation for ops processes and inclusion of Configuration and Knowledge management.

Cons:

Ticket to C.I. links can be better clarified and improved (impact of the relationship) C.I. Features on Customer portal (e.g. missing search function, latency to refresh large CMDB)

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Open source ITSM tool

Comments: It was very difficult to deploy OTRS, you need a very skilled team to achieve a minimum useful configuration

Pros:

Once you had it configured, the ticketing functionality worked well.

Cons:

The user portal was not user friendly at all, it created a lot of desafection with the users. The learning curve was too high for deployment and configuring any functionality or module.

last year

Thank you for taking time to share your experience, however the open source option that you're referring to is ((OTRS)) Community Edition. Rather, OTRS is actually a product supported by the manufacturer and separate from the community edition.

Binu
Application Support Manager in India

Better than Remedy

Comments: Change Management and incidents are easy to manage with this tool

Pros:

This is the only Open Source Ticketing tool that I have used and I should say I'm surprisingly impressed. The change management process flows are easily implemented and easily configured

Cons:

There are no cons that I can talk about. This product is as robust as remedy or any other ticketing system

6 years ago

Hi Binu. We're glad to hear that the process workflows are helping out. Thanks for taking time to review OTRS.

Used extensively for the past 10 years

Comments: Cheap effective solution for handling incoming client requests.

Pros:

Open source. Not the most visually appealing software but it allowed us to break down our queue system based on user requirements with ease.

Cons:

Written like an older program. A lot of the functionality is not next gen ready and it sorely lacks vs newer systems.

6 years ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate the review.

Govinda
IT manager in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

OTRS has outstanding functionalities, usability

Comments: OTRS benefits are many : Integrated Business Features such as Chat and Ticket Timeline View. Free choice of exclusive features. Installation and configuration. Regular, free updates. ITIL compatible Service Management. Use OTRS Business Solution on your mobile devices

Pros:

Low cost , usability and integration with multiple app is possible. Very user friendly. Definitely will have great cost saving post implementation.

Cons:

Data encryption is not working correctly, same is tested by installing this module. Seems this error must have fixed by app development team.

Dwipanita
Analyst Accounts in India

Account Receivable Team is more efficient

Comments: Efficient tracking of requests in the form of tickets

Pros:

After we got this OTRS application setup, we were able to track all tickets that comes into our queue. We work on each ticket and make sure the SLA is in place. I've used remedy in the previous organisation, however this is the best

Cons:

I don't believe there are anything negative about OTRS. The display interface could be a little better

6 years ago

Glad to hear that it's helped meet SLAs. Thanks for taking time to review OTRS.

Bas
IT Director in India

Best Ticketing Tool ever

Comments: Speed and efficiency

Pros:

My team use this everyday. Ever since we went live with this tool we were able to accomplish a lot. Incident tickets and Problem tickets are easy to track and manage

Cons:

I can't think of any cons. This tool works well and the features are apt for our organization. Use it for a few days and you will get to know

6 years ago

Thanks so much for the review, Bas. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that OTRS is working well for your team!

Soma
Soma
HR Manager in India

Great Application and Great Features

Comments: Customer Satisfaction increased by 80%

Pros:

We wanted to track tickets that come into the HR services and that's when we asked IT to get OTRS for us. Now its improved our Customer Satisfaction Scores by 80%

Cons:

I could never find a Con in OTRS. Its not expensive easy to modify and quick. I love this Application

6 years ago

Wow! That's wonderful to hear, Soma. Thanks so much for letting us know and for taking time to send in a review.

Tiju
Tiju
Service Delivery Manager in Denmark
, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Just the best Ticketing Software that I've used

Comments: ease of addressing tickets and change requests

Pros:

My team and I use OTRS to work on tickets let it be Incident or Change Request. This is a feature rich tool that is opensource

Cons:

I could not find any cons in the 2 years that I've been using this software. It doesn't have any addins or plugins that could slow it down.

6 years ago

Thanks for taking time to share your review, Tiju. We're glad for the feedback!

Jackson
Jackson
Assistant Manager in India

Great Product and great Features

Comments: Efficiency

Pros:

The ease of use and the way you can customize if easily. My team uses it daily. It is an absolute must for a service desk

Cons:

It could have linking option better. It does a bit of time to link tickets and SOPs and FAQs. Otherwise it all fine.

6 years ago

Thanks so much for your comments, Jackson. We appreciate you taking the time to write in.

Simón Bernabé
Simón Bernabé
Operador de Servidores in Venezuela

It is a great software very useful in the IT department of an organization

Comments: Ease to handle the eventualities with the stations of work and telecommunications of the organization

Pros:

It is very easy to use. It has a lot of flexibility you can use custom fields and can be integrated with other applications

Cons:

What I like least about this software is that it does not have a lot of documentation and sometimes it is usually a bit slow when the volume of information grows.

6 years ago

Thank you for taking time to share your review of OTRS. We appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Nadia
Administrative Coordinator I in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent Ticketing System

Comments: Overall, I had a really great experience with this program and would definitely recommend this program.

Pros:

I'm currently using the OTRS-6 system for submitting work order tickets. Before using this system, I would submit a work order and the response time was slow. There was no way that I would have known whether or not the However when I submit a work order request under the OTRS-6 system, I immediately receive a confirmation email and the response time is pretty quick.

Cons:

The only con that I see with this program is that there was no user guide available; however, the program is pretty user-friendly.

5 years ago

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

Mridun
Mridun
Student in India
E-Learning, Self Employed

Best experience

Comments: The versatility and adaptability of the system and the system has a server to manage incidents in an optimal manner

Pros:

OTRS's ability to generate new processes and to change those that become obsolete within the system.

Cons:

many modifiable options causing confusion when have to fix a problem.clicking on several links to get on one path

5 months ago

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jimmy
Jimmy
IT Analyst ( Global Service Desk ) in India
Internet, 501–1,000 Employees

First Ticketing Tool that I've ever Used. So Far So Good

Pros:

I've been using this tool for about 1 month now and I feel this is a great application to track tickets. The pending reminder feature is great and it lets us know when to follow up next

Cons:

Its a little slow when you compare it with other Web based app, but other than that I love using the application

5 years ago

Glad it's going well for you so far, Jimmy. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.