United Kingdom Local product

About Breathe

Time-saving rota & HR software that helps SMEs put their people first and drive their business forward.

Learn more about Breathe

Pros:

The cost is within budge. The system is easy to us for my team and for me and it has taken days of my life through the simple administration.

Cons:

No ‘variable hours’ recording function that allows you to enter hours worked on an hourly, weekly or monthly basis.

Breathe ratings

4.6
4.3
4.3
4.4

8.6/10

Breathe has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 26 user reviews on Capterra.

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Breathe before?

Sally P.
Sally P.
Director in

Great HR platform for growing businesses

5 6 years ago

Comments: We found BreatheHR when we were about 20 staff and it's been a godsend, it meant we could move on from holiday spreadsheets and it made us so much more organised with personnel files but those were only the basic things we were trying to 'fix', in reality lots of other benefits came with it - our team love the 'kudos' feature which mean they can say thanks / well done to each other, and we use it to help communicate business critical documents to all staff - our team have take much more responsibility for their own information and now they can access things like remaining holiday days whenever they want.

Pros:

There are lots but in general this has given us a professionalism in our HR administration that we simply didn't have before at a cost that's a real no brainer.

Cons:

Can't think of any, but if anything you do only get out of it what you put in so if you don't engage your staff in it and use the various features then it won't be so useful.

David C.
Operations Manager in UK
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees

Lets your department managers BREATHE

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall very positive and has greatly improved efficiencies within our organisation.

Pros:

Each employee has their own area, holiday / work related documents / review requests all held in one place. Our department managers are spending under 10 minutes a day on managing holiday / sickness. Not to mention the ability to attach company documents (all with read receipts)

Cons:

Live chat assistance is permanently in the corner - unable to change this setting.

2 years ago

David, Thank you so much for your review, we really appreciated you taking the time to review our product and thank you for your 5 star review. We have taken your comments on board regarding the live chat appearing on the screen and will pass this back to the product development team. Thank you for using Breathe and remember to use your refer a friend code if referring us for a chance to win prizes for your business. Carl

Mike S.
Data Protection Officer in UK
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Functional HR System

3 last year

Comments: It is a good basic tool for Employee records, but getting data back out can be cumbersome

Pros:

It is relatively simple to navigate the system and complete tasks quickly using the it's basic interface

Cons:

It needs updating. There is no drag and drop functionality, integration with Office 365 or CRM and data cannot be exported en masses.

Dan M.
Commercial Director in

Simple, efficient, cost saving and value for money

5 6 years ago

Comments: ramsac have been using BreatheHR to manage our HR needs for our 50+ team, for the best part of two years now. I have found nothing on the market that compares in terms of functionality and price. Providing our team with a self service HR dashboard has helped us to stand out as a modern employer, whilst at the same time driving increased efficiency and ensuring a more up to date, tighter controlled HR database. We use it to manage staff details, payroll info, holidays and leave, 121s and performance meetings, expenses and more.
I particularly like the efficient way of ensuring staff have read and accepted company wide documents, as well as the easy way in which we can administer leave requests and expense claims - perfect for our very mobile work force.
It's also enabled us to make job offers and HR documentation entirely paper free - and having no paper based HR records whatsoever is really useful when managers are working away from the HQ.
Support is friendly and efficient and the cost is very attractive. I can't say enough positive things about breathehr!

Pros:

Drives efficiency Low monthly fee Simple to use -for hr users and employees Cloud based - no set up costs or hardware needs Mobile Allows for better control of documents, records and leave/expense requests

Cons:

It is what it is, you can't tailor massively, but then you're comparing a product that costs £50 a month, with a bespoke database that costs £20k+ - I think the functionality is more than adequate for the vast majority of SMEs.

Ryan E.
IT Systems and Data Protection Officer in UK
11-50 Employees

Basic But Effective!

4 4 years ago

Comments: The biggest benefit is the ability to centrally manage HR in a concise and simple manner, saving time for both HR managers and users alike.

Pros:

Without a doubt, the best part about BreatheHR is its simplicity. For the user, the web interface is clear with all features signposted in the expected places with not an ounce of bloatware in sight. Furthermore, the features themselves are extremely easy to use, with intuitive mechanisms and design choices that mean the system is suitable for users of all abilities and backgrounds. This makes the software perfect for any sort of industry, not just those that work on computers all day.

Cons:

Perhaps BreatheHR's biggest strength is also its biggest weakness. This is because the system lacks the customisability to incorporate more advanced features specific to a company, meaning sometimes it is impossible to build something into the system that supports all business specific HR policies. Furthermore, the interface is dated, and does not provide a particularly responsive experience for users.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your honest opinion Ryan.

Vicki E.
Vicki E.
PR Account Manager in UK
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees

Good value for money

4 3 years ago

Pros:

Breathe allows our employees to be more autonomous in managing their own holiday and sick leave.

Cons:

It can be tricky to navigate and the customer support for the cheaper packages is not good.

3 years ago

Vicki, Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate that you have taken the time to review our software and your continued commitment to Breathe, we truly value your business. I'd love to hear more about your experiences with the support team, the level of support our customers receive should not differ based on the plan or package you have and I'm sorry if you have not received the level of support you expected. Feel free to contact myself at [email protected] to share your experiences. All the best,

Chris M.
Conversion Strategist in Finland

Highly recommended HR software

5 3 years ago

Comments: IT does many things very well - tracking holiday use, 1-2-1 meetings, and the kudos system is a great way to openly provide positive feedback to colleagues..

Pros:

As a manager it is easy to write notes from your 1-2-1's and review them in the future.

Cons:

Sometimes it isn't clear if content you submit will be visible by those you manage.

3 years ago

Chris, Thank you so much for your feedback, we are very grateful that you have taken time out of your day to submit this review and appreciate both the pro's and cons mentioned. We will certainly raise the point about visibility with the product team and see how this can be improved in future releases. All the best Carl

Account Manager in UK
Insurance, 51-200 Employees

Easy to manage employee info/records

4 3 years ago

Pros:

The ability to manage, track and control employee footprint, such as sick leave, holidays, objectives, 1-2-1's, training, documents, performance (KPI's) and much more.

Cons:

For me there are no cons to this product, is does exactly what I need and have had no issues with it at all.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your review.

Danielle O.
Technical SEO Manager in UK

Great central location for employee policies/holidays etc

5 3 years ago

Pros:

- Great for managing employee holiday allocation (i.e. dashboard shows employees how many days holiday they are permitted to take, request holiday, view holiday taken etc). A calendar also shows holidays scheduled for other colleagues. - A central location for all company policies, meaning they're more likely to get read. - Kudos feature allows you to give kudos to your colleagues with a leaderboard showing who's been awarded the most kudos (great for staff moral).

Cons:

- It's pretty basic in terms of its features.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your honest review Danielle.

Tracy K.
General Manager in UK
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees

Fantastic Time Saver

5 3 years ago

Comments: Although new to breatheHR we have found it is extremely intuitive and straight forward to set up. The support documents are so very helpful and informative and if you do not find your answers there the support team are always on hand.

Pros:

Easy to use, fully functional. Our users are love being able to submit their requests any time from any device. breatheHR Support are amazing! Here is to a lot less admin in 2019 and beyond.

Cons:

There is nothing we have found that we do not like about breatheHR. The only con is now finding something else to do with all the free admin time!

Fiona M.
HR in UK

Keep Breathing!

4 4 years ago

Comments: I would certainly consider it for a smaller company, perhaps as their first HR or self serve system

Pros:

VERY user friendly, easy to set up, good for employees to use and navigation is obvious. It can cope with multiple currencies which is a benefit for more global orgs. There is a new recruitment module which I believe is a great addition

Cons:

I struggled with the Performance Management/Appraisal approach - hopefully this will be their next target

Alison G.
CAO in Canada

Amazing feature-set for the value

4 5 years ago

Comments: We use BreatheHR to manage our small business HR needs. It includes so many features for its pricepoint. Its UI is easy to use and the featureset is constantly expanding. Their support team is fabulous and answers our minimal questions very fast and with ease.

3 years ago

Thank you very much for your comments Alison.

Social Media Manager in UK
11-50 Employees

Breathe HR is our HR system and helps maintain our employee leave company documents.

4 4 years ago

Pros:

Easy to use, it helps streamline the HR process and save space by uploading the documents to the cloud and keeping track of employee holiday etc.

Cons:

It does have limitations which would need to be formatted by their professional services team which could incur a charge.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your honest review.

Jeremy W.
HR Lead in UK
Philanthropy, 51-200 Employees

A very good system for small organisations less than 250.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Good integration with third party systems like Rota Cloud and Safety Cloud. Very good support including self service for managers and staff.

Cons:

One size fits all system - so you have to accept some fields may not meet you specific needs. As with all IT systems, managers and staff will need help or training how to use the system and apps.

Ben W.
IT Manager in UK
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees

Really simple to use, easy to access form anywhere being cloud based

5 10 months ago

Comments: Very good. Happy with how simple it is to use and a big improvement over the platform we used before (Sage).

Pros:

The ability to easily book holiday due to being able to see when the rest of the team are away is really useful. With the software being cloud based it is nice that it can easily be accessed on any device from anywhere.

Cons:

Not a lot bad to say about it. I found it difficult to access documents that were uploaded to it for me to see as I couldnt find the correct area from my profile.

Richard H.
Data Scientist in UK
51-200 Employees

Pleasant to use HR Software with a few neat extra features.

4 4 years ago

Comments: It has very straightforward holiday management that has allowed me to properly plan my year

Pros:

The ability to check the entire companies holiday dates so I can plan tasks around when people are actually in.

Cons:

It is quite dull to look at and use, it feels like a program from about 7-8 years ago despite actually being a very modern package.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your review Richard

Sam francis
Used the Software for: Not provided

A great solution with a price to match

5 9 years ago

Comments: For years I have needed to use a system like BreathHR. As a smaller business, I could not justify paying the price of some of these all encompassing solutions. My back office systems did everything I needed apart from manage my HR side. For a small monthly payment, I now have the perfect system for my needs. I have been very impressed with the product and the technical support. Being able to use the free trial first was perfect but it was a no brainer for me to just sign up!

Pros:

Cons:

It doesn't do payroll but I can live with that.

Christine edens

Great product, great price

5 9 years ago

Comments: We have been using BreatheHR for about 5 months now and are completely happy with the system. It is easy to use - I never get queries from employees, and is a fantastic price. I have seen my previous employers spend up to £50k on fancy systems, that too cumbersome, with many features left unused. BreatheHR is nice and simple and covers the vast majority of our requirements.

Pros:

* price * constant improvement & development * good customer service * easy to use * easy to implement

Cons:

If you're lookign for an all singing, all dancing HR system which includes recruitment, payroll, training etc then this product isn't for you.

Tabitha N.
head of compliance and central services in
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees

Excellent

4 4 years ago

Pros:

Free for Charity, allows Holiday and leave to be calculated in hours and flexes for part time shift pattern workers.

Cons:

I am finding the adding of each shift pattern quite time consuming. I also find it frustrating that the recruitment section does not seem to tell you an overview of how to use it, but you almost have to post something to work it out. I am sure there are instructions somewhere, but yet to find it.

Laura A.
Senior Systems Analyst in UK
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Very User Friendly

5 3 years ago

Comments: Breathe has been recently implemented within our business and has made our HR process an easier area to deal with.

Pros:

It is very easy to navigate round, it is also very simple to book holidays.

Cons:

The format on some of the older internet tools (for example internet explorer) can cause the forms to not load correctly. Perfect on all other internet platforms.

3 years ago

Laura, Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate people taking the time to say what they like, as well as areas that may not be quite perfect right now. We take all feedback on board and we will be looking at the issue on Internet explorer as soon as we can. Thanks again. All the best Carl

Gregory chauvet
Used the Software for: Not provided

It saved us so much time

5 9 years ago

Comments: We are a small company and cant afford an HR person, since we use BreatheHR, the admin team saved so much time and resources keeping all employee data online, + employee retention and satisfaction has dramatically increased = great effect on our customer service!

Pros:

Superbe customer service, constant updates and sweet prices

Caryn D.
Physician Assistant in US
Farming, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Easy Software

4 4 years ago

Pros:

support staff is great- very helpful, easy to get a hold of. program integrates well with our other databases

Cons:

Initial training to get the ball rolling, but then it gets easier from there, may not meet the specific needs

Natasha H.
Natasha H.
Canada

Making HR a breeze

4 5 years ago

Comments: Using Breathe has made managing the logistics of sick time and vacations very easy and all of the other features like Kudos and document sharing are a bonus!

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your comments Natasha.

Angus L.