Filter by:

• Overall

About PagerDuty

Cloud software that connects people, systems & data into a single view for visibility and actionable intelligence across operations.

Learn more about PagerDuty

Corey F.
Corey F.
Manager, Incident Management in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Bye Bye to old school on-call practices

5 2 years ago

Comments: Issues that use to "fall through the cracks" or receive no attention/acknowledgement at all have been almost eliminated totally. The time for a technical resource to be alerted to an incident and acknowledge it has gone from 15-25-35-45mins to 5 minutes or less. Teams are now proactively alerted to issues that may turn into something big before the customer notices any impact.

Pros:

PagerDuty is incredibly easy to setup and use. Creating new teams, on-call schedules, and escalation policies can be done in a matter of minutes. You can go from manually looking up people via a google calendar or an excel sheet, to engaging an on-call resource in 2 minutes or less from the great app while you are on the beach. The integration with Slack is great, no other way to say it. Very useful for incident notifications for those teams that rely heavily on Slack.

Cons:

The reporting functionality of PagerDuty needs some further enhancements. Obtaining certain data such as "what users are using which contact methods" for example still needs to be provided by contacting their Support team. The filtering of the Visibility console needs work and is currently limited to "All Teams" or a single team.

Michael H.
Michael H.
System Administrator - AppDynamics Administration and Engineering in US

Pager Duty - Proof you get what you pay for

4 3 years ago

Comments: We immediately handled the overflow of noise from Nagios, AppDynamics, Dotcom-Monitor, SCOM(from our dc provider) and were able to drop a cellular device using the centralized phone contact with Pager-Duty. We also were able to put our on-call schedule into PagerDuty to realize immediately who was on-call for what product, in what region. There was a very immediate value add realized from even just trialing PagerDuty.

Pros:

I tried a competitor's product which was a free notification manager up to 11 people. It took me 3 days to get anywhere with a basic task of integrating 3 of our noisiest alerts. Then I tried the PagerDuty trial and got 2 of our noisiest alerts built out in 1 day. I added 3 more over the next 2 days to go well over the targeted mark. Coworkers were excited to help put time and effort into the system as opposed to the free tool which I couldn't seem to get any traction with. The alerts were immediately available, they were easy to get posting to my cell phone, and adding additional users was a cinch. The tool unfolds and becomes more useful the more time you put into it where some tools you struggle to get right and then you're afraid to make changes.

Cons:

The UI is a bit quirky in the scheduler which is a pretty important view if you have a rotating on-call shift you're trying to tie down. There was a lot of "can't delete before you delete elsewhere" scenarios where there could have been a "will also delete these elsewhere, are you sure?" scenarios. What you gain in ease of use and stability in the mobile platform you lose in overall functionality, it is simple almost to a fault and while it seems silly there's no skinning of the mobile app to better suit your personality in a hyper-customized world. I'll know shortly if they're willing to go longer but they seem to be sticklers for the exact trial length + only a little. Corporations interested in putting in a full month long or longer trial that may need that amount of time to show value, create a SOW, and have a PO issued may be stuck in limbo for a few weeks.

Sustaining Engineer in US
Internet, 201-500 Employees

Did everything we needed it to

5 2 years ago

Comments: Kept our team groups and rotations organized and informed of production impacting problems. Easy to use so was there to help us solve our problems, not to be yet another configuration challenge to overcome.

Pros:

Simple to use intuitive interface via web and smartphone app, third party integrations with Nagios, Slack, and Atlassian products (Jira), as well as custom webhooks for use with monitoring tools (grafana). Overrides available for scheduled rotations. Custom alert sounds was a nice touch.

Cons:

Attention from customer support requires being a larger customer paying a significant amount of money. Which we were when I used and configured this, and it worked well for us.

Manas M.
Senior Software Engineer in US
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Get alerted when your services go down or on urgent mails from the customer, and track it

5 11 months ago

Comments: PagerDuty has continually helped us in identifying the unusual issues and edge cases, now our product is stable, and we ensure high availability of our services , it has been a great experience with it

Pros:

You can use pager duty for different purpose to get alerted and track the alert till the alert was addressed, we use it for the alert on service down and failures, so that the product issue can be addressed and fixed at the earliest, Pagerduty serves this purpose good, it alerts in different mediums and at different levels, and there is a rotation policy, if a level 1 user dose not addresses then it alerts the level 2 user and this rotation gos on till the issue is properly addressed, and there are good features like time tracking, historic analysis , team groping, different alert policies, scheduling the users to be on call, snoozing the alert, escalating to other user, etc

Cons:

some times the web UI becomes slow, the app version dose not have all the features that the web version has

Soumya J.
Platform Operations Engineer in UK

Does way more than what is on the box if people knows to use it.

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall its been amazing and always a friend of operations team now spreading to development teams.

Pros:

- Setting up override is 30 seconds task. - Reminder of when Im going on-call and my own notification settings is a life saviour. - Slack integration - Api integration - Postmortems made easier. - ITIL followed in the core in an automated fashion making incident management a cake walk.

Cons:

- No way to export the schedule to excel. Only option is to do a calendar export. Which is not what a team lead or manager will want to do payroll. - Would be nicer to have billing based on number of schedules/services rather than number of users as we are in a devops world where all need to be able to login/resolve alerts. This forces teams to limit access taking them away from being "devops". - I am not a big fan of the schedule UI. It will be nicer to have days separated with lines on the rota. - In general the amount of invested on this tool is very minimal by a user, so it is worth simplifying schedules and services for people to understand it easier. The word service itself is misleading for the users.

Sara C.
Client Success Manager in US
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees

Great for On-call

5 2 years ago

Comments: Great!

Pros:

I like that we can easily resolve through the app.

Cons:

I don't like that we can only have 3 users.

Philip B.
SE in US

Good On Call Platform

5 2 years ago

Comments: Easy implementation, good support

Pros:

Great two way communication with LogicMonitor. Only product we found that would stop the on call alert when the LogicMonitor alert cleared.

Cons:

There is no way to notify a non licensed user when the on call schedule. We’d like to have our team DL emailed whenever an on call changes.

Antoine V.
Software Engineer in US

Great functionality and features, Robotic interface/calling/messaging

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall, Pagerduty was a great way for us to get started creating an alert system because it's easy of use and integrates. It works well and has little to no downtime and provides a ton of features and is really reliable. However, the UI is not intuitive and pretty and the alert system is robotic making it not "fun" to use. It is pricey overall if you don't intend to use all of its features.

Pros:

The thing I like most about Pagerduty is how easy it is to set-up, get working, and consistently be reliable to send alerts at proper times. These things made it easy for us to integrate into our software using their API.

Cons:

It is a bit pricey, especially if you don't plan on using all of the functionality and features that PagerDuty. For us, PagerDuty was overkill for the kind of alert/messaging system we were looking for so we were paying extra for these features we weren't using. Secondly, the alert/messaging system feels pretty robotic and is not very customizable. It feels like Pagerduty was built for engineers thought it could be used in other sectors.

Alex R.
Alex R.
sr manager engineering in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

great way to allow teams to self manage their notifications

5 2 years ago

Comments: easy to onboard, flexible to use. simple but does what its supposed to do and does it well!

Pros:

teams can manage their own schedules, including flexible overrides when they need someone else to cover. lot of notification/escalation options, and for each user they can specify how they prefer to be communicated with.

Cons:

adding users to an existing schedule can cause unexpected issues if you are not careful. also I sure wish that pagerduty app was able to override do not disturb settings on my phone, would love to be able to disable calls and other notifications but still get my PD alerts when I go to bed!

Imran A.
EMEA ITS Manager in UK
Human Resources, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Positive Experience

5 2 years ago

Comments: Its been great the OOH team knows they wont be woken up for stuff not related to the and we see accurate data. We can manage rotas and shifts much better and its overall improved the perception of the team and their ability out of hours.

Pros:

The ability to to have the information displayed and on the go with the App is great for us as we can engage with stakeholders and its bought in consistency for out out of hours team on alerting.

Cons:

The reporting could improve it can give better detail when we are granular on different services but this has improved form when i first used the service.

Christina G.
Sr. SRE in US
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Beep Boop

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall it's a great and mostly reliable product

Pros:

Not having to carry a physical pager, separate phone for being on call The ability to see who's on call when easily Overrides API management of configuration

Cons:

Lack of an undo feature or revision history It's difficult to configure a business hours rotation without creating a separate set of configuration, it would be nice of the escalation policy section included some time based logic Outages mean missing critical alerts

Carl S.
Cloud System Administrator in Canada

PagerDuty overall experience

5 2 years ago

Comments: Reducing SLA times in emergency cases, easily getting timestamps and other information (type of alerts)

Pros:

Good uptime, easy integration with other services for oncall and monitoring. Also has easy scheduling, nice phone app.

Cons:

pricing model (seriously, the price jump per user is completely ridiculous), API limitations - are you supposed to test a prduct properly with larger scale if you don't have basic API implementations available?

Jiri B.
Service Engineer in Czechia

Solid service indeed

5 2 years ago

Comments: The experience is actually very good. It works when it is supposed to and we're having several layers of support and we almost never miss incidents. It is very noisy or too noisy in difficult situations; one is being overwhelmed while maybe some sort of flow control could kick in, like grouping the issues (while still being able to see them individual if needed).

Pros:

I (we) like the configuration options and we definitely like the API. We utilize the multiple layer features of on-call duties and PD just works. The UI is very responsive.

Cons:

Long lists are served as pages and no search is available in the UI. For example, one has to scan through a lot of pages when we're having a situation and a lot of alerts shows up.

Benson M.
Senior Devops Engineer in US
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Reliable but tedious to configure

4 2 years ago

Comments: I'm sure you're well aware of how Twilio relies on your product. My personal experience as a person _receiving_ the pages is generally good, but the configuration of how they are sent and routed is not a process I find enjoyable.

Pros:

I feel like the service is generally very reliable and we have significant trust in it.

Cons:

I feel like the overall process of linking schedules, escalation policies, and services together is (while powerful) confusing, time-consuming, and tedious. Maybe there's some UI elements I'm not aware of that make the situation better.

Abel J.
DevOps in India
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Review - PagerDuty

4 2 years ago

Pros:

Easy to manage incidents. Very good escalate system. Easy to use UI Availability of features. Vast integration with other softwares.

Cons:

Self-Guide system can be improved. Video tutorials can be included to help the users.

Nathan G.
Infosec Manager in US

Pagerduty Thoughts

4 2 years ago

Pros:

The ability to manage schedules, overrides, and user's on-call rotations.

Cons:

The scheduling feature is awesome but a double edged sword, we wish it was easier to manage.

NOC/Devops Engineer in US
Telecommunications, 501-1,000 Employees

Works For Me

4 3 years ago

Pros:

It has been able to do everything I have wanted. API integration to email integration, it has worked great.

Cons:

Not much negative to say, it's a straight forward and easy to use software.

Brian B.
Network Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Web UI could use better search functionality

4 2 years ago

Comments: We have many different teams responsible for different parts of our business. Pagerduty allows us to easily setup many teams and many services have integration for pagerduty built in. It also just always works, I've never heard of some one not getting the call when pagerduty rang as long as there was reception.

Pros:

It works. It is solid and gets the job done. It's not hard to manage users and it has integrations with tons of other services.

Cons:

I often have a hard time tracking down alerts that didn't come to me. I have many times of the years had to track down alerts through the web ui that went to another team and I have to manually scroll through pages and pages of alerts sometimes even if I max out the values per page. An obvious search feature in the web ui based on alert name, team name, or time range would be extremely helpful for tracking down if alerts triggered as expected and exactly who they went to.

Guus V.
Sr DevOps Engineer in Germany
Automotive, 51-200 Employees

Awesome tool

4 2 years ago

Pros:

We're using PageDuty quite heavy in our company. We using it for alarming based on metrics for out multi cloud (GCP & AWS) infrastructure, app metrics and metrics from out fleet (ride sharing service). Based on those triggers we are paging different target groups. The setup in PagerDuty is quite easy.

Cons:

I am personally missing the option of managing the whole configuration as a Code.

Josh G.
Team Lead - Support in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

PagerDuty is excellent for keeping your team informed and aware

4 2 years ago

Pros:

The multiple methods of contact (Phone, Email, SMS, and Push notification)

Cons:

The calls sometimes do not come through reliably

Sanford G.
Data Center Technician in US
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Pager Duty On-Call Notifiactions

5 5 months ago

Comments: The company I work for uses this app to page any on-call staff that need to respond immediately to production service issues. We use this for several teams and I am on one of the teams that may need to address issues right away. I was able to set up the specs for my team easily.

Pros:

This app is easy to set up schedules for being on-call in a 24/7 support environment. I don't admin this whole thing but as a user I can put in the schedule that works for me.

Cons:

I wish this had multiple schedules for one particular contact. Maybe it does but I have not figured out how to do it yet.

Rafael B.
Principal software engineer in US
Internet, 201-500 Employees

Pretty much satisfied.

5 2 years ago

Comments: Live monitoring of a large production system, with hundreds of components.
We are very satisfied with PD. Allows us to do everything we wanted with incident management

Pros:

Good integration with grafana, zabbbix, etc Stable and reliable. Nagging factor that can't be ignored. Escalation levels are awesome.

Cons:

Price tag. Takes a bit to master. The trial period can be a bit longer.

Keith K.
Senior DevOps Engineer in US

Best app to wake you up at night so your morning isn't horrible!

4 2 years ago

Comments: Pagerduty allows us to react to alerts and monitors almost instantly and escalate to teams or persons needed to solve certain issues.

Pros:

Extremely easy to work with and integrate into your monitoring solutions. API is well done and easy to work with.

Cons:

It wakes me up - granted this is what it is supposed to do.

Francis M.
program trainer in Kenya

Queuing of tasks has never been made easier.Security features is a dream come true to any business

4 4 years ago

Pros:

Integration with various networking softwares made it easy to effectively response on down time issues on time.

Cons:

For beginners it can be very difficult to use because of the long documentation and installation was difficult at first.

Neal L.
Engineering Team Lead in US
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees

Perfect For Managing Production Alerts

5 2 years ago

Pros:

We were able to get in and setup a flow quickly and easily to notify use when our production servers have an issue.

Cons:

We have a pretty basic use case and it works great.