Meltwater Reviews

by Meltwater

Filter by:

• Overall

About Meltwater

Tools that enable marketing, comms and PR pros to monitor, analyze and influence the world around them.

Learn more about Meltwater

Javier victor marian B.
Javier victor marian B.
Network Security Auditor
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2019

"best monitoring media software"

Comments: best tool for monitoring media outlets in latin america!

Pros: sysomos is a great combination of automated software that look into media outlets news in digital and keep a look into social media. Also, they have a robust database of latin america. Before wans't so great but they keep updating it. Now, it is hard to find adicional news outside sysomos.

Cons: i have problems sharing my monitors and querys with other users and customer suppport couldn't help me. Also time to timee they have a breach or something working wrong and you dont receive and alert by email and they are very slow to solve it. I have issues in the past with my clients because of this.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2019
Ed M.
Director of Marketing and Communications
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2021

"Meltwater - Media Outreach"

Comments: Customer Service is TOPS - [SENSITIVE CONTENT] my rep, is always on the ball!

Pros: The ease with which to send a press release on the National newswire.

Cons: The more options they add to the program the more expensive it becomes - there is a lot that I am unfamiliar with nor have the time or money to explore.

• Reviewed on 12/08/2021
Dawn G.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2021

"Simple Intuitive Social Media Monitoring"

Comments: If you are new to social media marketing and need a software that is easy to follow, Meltwater is one of the best on the market. It will give you all of the tools you need to effectively take your social media presence to the next level by comparing previous posts and finding what truly works best for your brand.

Pros: I'm a business owner for a small ecommerce based business. Social media is a huge part of our advertising and it's extremely time consuming to manage entirely on my own. This software allows me to view important analytics in one place. The interface is extremely intuitive and very easy to use. Everything you "need" to know is on the front page. You can see everything from mentions to impressions and new followers all in one place. They even have a "positivity percentage" and "competitive rank" that compares your audience reaction to others in a similar field.

Cons: I've used quite a few social media marketing tools. This one is simple- and that's one thing I really like about it. But I'd like to see a few more options. I really wish I could find a software that allowed me to both manage and monitor in the same application. But, alas, I can only find softwares that do one or the other.

by Meltwater on 03/02/2021

Hi Dawn, thank you for your positive review! We're glad you find such value in our products. We do offer a streamlined solutions to social media management and social listening in one platform, so I encourage you to connect with your account rep!

• Reviewed on 29/01/2021
Information & Research Analyst
  • Reviewed on 07/03/2018

"I really enjoyed using Sysomos! It was easy to get set up and researching for our office."

Comments: It assisted with understanding customer needs, how they use our product, and developing our line.

Pros: It helped organize and visually represent data for our online presence, determine how to expand our product line, and track customer sentiment. It is quite robust. If you really get it going you can track industry activity as it starts to trend.

Cons: It took a while to learn. There are videos to assist, and but the system is quite robust.
It is on the pricey side.

• Reviewed on 07/03/2018
Sanjay P.
Sanjay P.
Student Worker
Writing & Editing, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2019

"Map"

Comments: It's a good software that saves time and sitting at home can use it in its small device and it makes it easier for the person to arrive and a free demo of any place can tell.

Pros: Here is a good software. The person can easily see the map of any place in its device and use it.

Cons: The quality of the map of the software is not so high that I can tell it to myself very clear.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2019
Rafe G.
Co-owner
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2019

"Easy and fast to track down journalists, pitch them, and increase the possibility of media coverage"

Comments: MW delivers better functionality than Cision and also allows me to work faster and more effectively

Pros: MW is quick and simple to figure out, and if there's a glitch, their chat feature can address your issue within minutes!

Cons: It would be great if I'd be able to organize and divide long lists of results for targeted journalist searches into shorter sub lists.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2019
Bertrand J.
Aviation & Aerospace, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/08/2020

"Expensive tool made for big corporations but not for start-ups"

Pros: Not a lot to say. Overall we very disappointed by the too.l

Cons: Poor quality of the journalist user base. Lots of bounces when we write emails. Also abusive legal close to renew your contract with a 3 months notice period for a simple SAS and the sales person comes to you sending the invoice for the next period 2,5months before it ends. Finally, a customer service/success which is very pushy to always subscribe to very pricy solution and taking a yourself a lot of time with un-needed presentations. As a start-up manager of more than 20 employees, I was very disappointed by Meltwater services.

• Reviewed on 19/08/2020
Amy R.
Senior Account Executive
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2020

"Media Platform"

Comments: It was a good platform for tracking data and finding new resources

Pros: A complex platform with the abilities to showcase great insight for communications and media professionals

Cons: A lot of features and functions, sometimes not so intuitive or easy to use. Not much mobile functionality either.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2020
Communications Manager
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Sysomos is great- if you have a lot of time for training"

Comments: We used Sysomos Heartbeat for social listening and lead gen. It was useful but also difficult to learn.

Pros: I liked the customized dashboards and reports for media clips and the way you could sync with social media. I used this for a real estate company and was able to follow conversations about moving to the area and ping people with the real estate company info. It was very helpful for lead gen.

Cons: There are almost too many features. I found the customer support great but also necessary because the product could feel clunky and there is a lot to figure out. Steep learning curve for sure.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Briana S.
Social Media Manager
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2019

"Still trying to figure it out."

Comments: I have to think that my issues with Meltwater are user error because I have heard good things about it, which is why we pay for it in the first place.

Pros: The ability to export data to share with clients is fantastic.

Cons: Meltwater almost never "finds" all the news articles it should be locating. I find myself googling things and having to "add articles" to my lists every time I write a report.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2019
Martin M.
Martin M.
Chief Content Officer
  • Reviewed on 01/09/2018

"A Product in Development"

Comments: Meltwater is providing excellent support and their media data and reporting seems to be very reliable. We have been able to use it to make some very productive media in-roads. The software seems to be underdeveloped but hopefully they will continue to add the features needed to make it a mainstream offering.

Pros: Meltwater is easy to use and their employees pay a lot of attention to you as a client. Especially in the set-up stages, they are very attentive and schedule their follow-up effectively. The basic tools are adequate and their data seems to be reliable.

Cons: The platform for Meltwater seems to be very immature in terms of its development. It can send newsletters but you get almost NO functionality on analytics or member tracking. Like all other SaaS companies, everything is an add-on and it is not always easy to determine what you get for the price you are being quotes. The software simply feels rudimentary in design and immature in implementation.

• Reviewed on 01/09/2018
Kathy W.
AVP PR
Computer & Network Security, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"The most inclusive on the market"

Comments: My overall experience has been good. The customer support is usually very fast and any issues always get resolved. The platform and staff are very reliable and useful.

Pros: The thoroughness of coverage and the reach is far larger than other products and the ability to customize searches, add viewers

Cons: a few typos in search criteria setup from prior account managers - but nothing that affects its usability

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Kathy, we're glad to hear we have delivered such a great experience for you. Our team strives for excellent customer service and product solutions. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything additional we can do for you.

Amanda M.
Senior Account Executive
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Great social media monitoring & journalist database tool"

Comments: Tip to your sales team: stop being so aggressive and reading from a script it gets very annoying.

Pros: They have an extensive journalist database and their social media platform is great. Can connect several different clients' accounts and schedule posts and the metrics are great

Cons: Their sales team is extremely aggressive. Only hear from account reps when it's time for renewal and after you sign up they go silent when you have an actual issue.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
PR Manager
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2019

"Best Option in the Market"

Comments: With nearly 10 years working in PR, I have had experience with Cision, Vocus, and Meltwater. There is no question that I will continue to use Meltwater in my career because it is most powerful, in my opinion. I also think that their PR distribution (which is integrated into the platform) is better than what the other players have to offer.

Pros: I use Meltwater primarily for its media database and PR distribution. The media data seems to be pretty well updated and when I request changes/additions, they are made very quickly.

Cons: As they have updated the software, I lost some of the key features that added value to how I use it. I wish you could filter search results better, gain better snapshots of individual outreach performance from the overall list, and create news searches based on specific media lists, to name a few. Also, beware of their contract because there is an autorenewal clause no matter if your account rep has reached out to you beforehand or not. Make a note on your calendar ahead of time so that charge doesnt come as a surprise or ask them to remove it from your contract.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2019
Social Media Specialist
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"Meltwater = Too Expensive For Small Business, Good For Larger Operations"

Comments: Overall, the algorithm changes on Instagram took away our use for discovering leads efficiently with the listening tool. The cost was no longer sustainable once it was not bringing in any additional revenue. It is a powerful tool, with great customer service, but I believe it is a little too pricey for smaller businesses.

Pros: I liked how robust the listening side of the software was. You could really dive into the results and pick up conversations that were happening around your brand that you otherwise would not have been able to see.

Cons: What I liked least about this software was that their social inbox was just Sprout Social. I was living within the engagement side of the software and saw little additional value. For those focusing solely on social listening, I recommend looking only at the component.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019
Danielle S.
Social Media Manager
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/03/2021

"Great for social listening"

Comments: Overall, this is a great tool for a PR and social media person to share and inform their work. Instead of doing a lot of manual searches online and on social media, you can get daily mentions in one simple email digest. It's a big time-saver.

Pros: I primarily use this software to keep an eye on the brand in the media for social media purposes. I like that I get a daily digest every morning at 9:30 am that helps me identify opportunities to engage with online users during the day.

Cons: The user experience design could use some improvement.

• Reviewed on 02/03/2021
Gaurav M.
Manager Analytics
Online Media, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2017

"An awesome Social Media Listening tool for Twitter"

Comments: I have been using Sysomos for almost 2 years and it has never failed to surprise me. The tool is fun to work with Twitter data however it lags when we are looking for Facebook, Blogs, Forums and Instagram mentions.
The tool is good for realtime campaign monitoring.
Downside: The customer support is not that responsive when you encounter any issue with tool like data lapse etc.
Overall it is good product when your prime focus is to monitor Twitter conversations on web.

Pros: 1. Strong Twitter Monitoring
2. Effective Real Time Tracking

Cons: 1. Poor customer support
2. Not so good traditional media tracking

• Reviewed on 14/02/2017
Cassie C.
Marketing Communication Specialist
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2019

"Complicated Product"

Pros: There are some cool feautres in Meltwater, like being able to search history by specific keywords and dates and exlcusions, and getting email notifications that we can set up for when certain words or our brand is mentioned. It also worked for us to schedule out social posts.

Cons: There are some complications in getting up social posts - sometimes it wouldn't properly tag the person we were trying to tag in our post, and you can't go back and edit a post after it's done to tag the person. Sometimes it almost feels like there are too many features that are difficult to learn to use, and not enough help to properly learn how to use the software. It shouldn't be that complicated. I think it is way over-priced for what you get, and there are competitors much better matched for our needs.

• Reviewed on 28/01/2019
Emily F.
Emily F.
Customer Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2018

"Affordable but over hyped and not suitable for a large company"

Pros: I worked for a large automotive company and moved from NetBase to Sysomos due to cost and ease of use. Sysomos is certainly easy to use and fulfills the basic needs of a small to medium size business - I don't think it's ideal if you have to dive into analytics and provide in depth numbers. If that's the case, Sysomos is not for you.

Cons: I found that Sysomos wasn't delivering the analytics that execs were looking for and there was a lot of manual work that went into it. The content planning side of the software seemed promising until I had to use it daily and dealt with glitches of the screen freezing or not being able to scroll up/down. When presenting content to client and using Sysomos, I was embarrassed. Training was not great, there were so many things he missed out on and we found out later on that we were not using the software to it's absolute fullest due to poor training.

• Reviewed on 12/03/2018
Ernest C.
COO
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2020

"Meltwater does the job"

Comments: Excellent service and support.

Pros: Ease of use and data base capture. It’s easy to set up an automated process for newsfeeds and reporting.

Cons: Exporting is not as advanced as I would like. Pdf and cvs are the main options. Formatting on export is less flexible.

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Ernest, we're glad to hear we delivered such a great experience. If there's anything further we can do for you, we are happy to help!

• Reviewed on 26/10/2020
Kara I.
Kara I.
News Writer
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2019

"Great Spreading the Word"

Comments: Overall, Meltwater has been an easy tool to use to distribute information and also see the analytics of how it's being received, opened, clicked, etc. We also use the tool to create a Daily Digest of hits that mention our business in the media or on Twitter.

Pros: This software is completely user friendly. It is easy to upload press releases and sent to various distribution lists.

Cons: Sometimes there are glitches or issues where if there is a lot of traffic happening via Meltwater which makes your particular information experience a delay. Usually, Meltwater staff are able to identify log jams pretty quickly.

• Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Ryan P.
Director, Marketing & Communications
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"Great product that does just about everything for you!"

Comments: I had it at a previous employer and I needed to get it at my new company as it is that important of a tool to help me stay ahead of what is going on each day in our market.

Pros: Super easy to use; mobile and desk top; can set auto-alerts

Cons: The price is a little high; setting up the searches was fairly tedious but they help you through it.

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Ryan, your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us and other professionals know about your positive experience.

Writer/Content Creator/Public Relations Consultant
Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2019

"Meltwater makes media relations and PR easier"

Comments: Meltwater really helps with media relations. It helps you target the right journalists for your news. If you do media outreach, you really need Meltwater.

Pros: What you can do with Meltwater you can't do with Cision. It's much easier to use and allows you to see who viewed your pitch so you can decide how to follow up. It makes media relations less of a thankless chore by helping you decide where to focus your efforts.

Cons: It's a little confusing to use. Once you have a tutorial, it's easier, of course, but I wouldn't say it's intuitive.

• Reviewed on 27/04/2019
Michael W.
Specialist
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"Meltwater Review"

Comments: It's been great. The customer service and walkthrough they provided was great customer service.

Pros: It's a one-size-fits-all for running social channels. The ability to schedule, check analytics and build lists is unmatched.

Cons: There's not much not to like. I do wish that meltwater app and meltwater engaged were within the same platform for ease of use.

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Hi Michael, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! We will pass your feedback along to the team.

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Julie C.
Analyst
Research, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/01/2020

"Terrible for Analytics"

Comments: I don't see how any analyst tested this tool. Doesn't include what I consider basic functionality. Requires multiple unnecessary steps to analyze data.

Pros: Customer Service is responsive. Tool is very affordable.

Cons: Social Analytics are awful. Problems include:
• Data Exports – Have to email data exports through individual chart widgets.
• Separate steps for creating queries and building dashboards with visuals.
• Have to create separate searches for News and Social separately – Duplicates work.
• Charts – Don’t have basic number labels, aren't usable.
• Can't download basic volume trend.
• Volume and Sentiment numbers do not match.

• Reviewed on 13/01/2020