• Overall
    3.5 /5
    3.3 /5
    3.5 /5

About Meltwater

Tools that enable marketing, comms and PR pros to monitor, analyze and influence the world around them.

Learn more about Meltwater

Javier victor marian B.
Network Security Auditor
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2019

"best monitoring media software"

Comments: best tool for monitoring media outlets in latin america!

Pros: sysomos is a great combination of automated software that look into media outlets news in digital and keep a look into social media. Also, they have a robust database of latin america. Before wans't so great but they keep updating it. Now, it is hard to find adicional news outside sysomos.

Cons: i have problems sharing my monitors and querys with other users and customer suppport couldn't help me. Also time to timee they have a breach or something working wrong and you dont receive and alert by email and they are very slow to solve it. I have issues in the past with my clients because of this.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2019
Dede C.
Communications Manager
Utilities, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/10/2020

"One tool that does almost everything we need"

Comments: We've been using it in this office for about 2 years now, and I used them previously at another job, as well. They're very responsive when you need help with something. I like the tool. It's intuitive and does just about everything we'd want it to. I do think their sales tactics were a little heavy-handed sometimes, putting deadlines on offers and whatnot, but when I talked to them about it, they lightened up a lot.

Pros: The dashboard for easy monitoring of our media and social coverage.

Cons: They charge separate pricing for everything, and it seems that every time I turn around they're rolling out a cool new feature they want to share, but it's always extra.

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Dede, reviews like this give us motivation and help us ensure we continue to provide high-quality care. Thank you very much for your feedback and are glad you have continued to find value in Meltwater.

• Reviewed on 30/10/2020
Vice President Board Of Directors
Computer Hardware, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2019

"An acceptable tool that allows us to track our Media impact"

Comments: An OK tool to use if you've been used to the platform. Recommend looking elsewhere to see if another tool can help solve your specific needs and problems.

Pros: A fairly robust way of gathering all the news about our industry, company, and competitors all in one place. Quick setup after a couple of calls with our representative.

Cons: the boolean logic strings are difficult to configure at first. We had issues with languages/news that had nothing to do with our industry. Not easily possible to laser-in on the information that we would find relevant for mass distribution. They need to make some enhancements as the UI seems dated, and at times difficult to navigate.

• Reviewed on 06/08/2019
Kathy W.
AVP PR
Computer & Network Security, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"The most inclusive on the market"

Comments: My overall experience has been good. The customer support is usually very fast and any issues always get resolved. The platform and staff are very reliable and useful.

Pros: The thoroughness of coverage and the reach is far larger than other products and the ability to customize searches, add viewers

Cons: a few typos in search criteria setup from prior account managers - but nothing that affects its usability

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Kathy, we're glad to hear we have delivered such a great experience for you. Our team strives for excellent customer service and product solutions. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything additional we can do for you.

Rameez B.
Content Developer
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2019

"Great for customer engagement and as CRM tool"

Comments: For the two years that we used Meltwater we increased our media sales and overall agent productivity. This lead to a decrease in our ques and many more satisfied customers. There are better products however Meltwater will definitely get the job done.

Pros: The CRM tool is amazing at collating and managing all social media into a chronological timeline. What I like most about this software is the interface. Very fluid and modern and easy on the eyes. It is also user-friendly, I was able to upskill many agents within 2 days maximum.

Cons: I do feel that the reporting could be a bit more specific or customisable. Especially when pulling agent reports, there is some information which I would like to see which is not there, so perhaps allowing a more in-depth customisable report functionwould be beneficial.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2019
Ed M.
Director of Marketing
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2020

"Meltwater - Media Outreach"

Comments: Great Customer Service! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is fantastic, very informative, very helpful and truly knows our account. Great pricing when compared to Cision and Trendkite. I evaluate the entire service every year and after moving from Vocus (Cision) in 2016, I continue to renew. Value, Reach and Service!

Pros: I really like the Press Release distribution, the reach is fantastic.

Cons: It is a little "clunky," however every issue that I have ever had they have worked hard to fix it!

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Ed, our team strives to deliver an excellent experience, and are glad you found this to be the case during your time with Meltwater. If you have further needs or questions, please reach out!

• Reviewed on 21/10/2020
Vishal B.
Social media Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"Simplest listening and Monitoring tool i ever used"

Comments: When I was a fresher I first used Sysmos and it helps me in understanding basics about listening and monitoring, It is very easy to use and query formation in Sysomos is very simple. One thing which i like about it is that its data tagging accuracy is far better than other tools

Pros: First of all, it is very simple to use, user-friendly and quite good for small and medium companies.
Data mining is very simple in it and one can extract data very easily. It covers almost everything like hashtag analysis, Demographics analysis and word cloud analysis. Data accuracy is also quite good than others. Data extracted from Sysomos has multilayer topics, it provides much information. In short, it is a very important tool for a newbie, it will help in understanding the basics of listening and monitoring

Cons: there was a time when it used to extract data from many sources but now it only provides a chunk from twitter. Sometimes it has issues with data accuracy and time zone and the last thing is that it provides a limited amount of data.

Martin M.
Chief Content Officer
  • Reviewed on 01/09/2018

"A Product in Development"

Comments: Meltwater is providing excellent support and their media data and reporting seems to be very reliable. We have been able to use it to make some very productive media in-roads. The software seems to be underdeveloped but hopefully they will continue to add the features needed to make it a mainstream offering.

Pros: Meltwater is easy to use and their employees pay a lot of attention to you as a client. Especially in the set-up stages, they are very attentive and schedule their follow-up effectively. The basic tools are adequate and their data seems to be reliable.

Cons: The platform for Meltwater seems to be very immature in terms of its development. It can send newsletters but you get almost NO functionality on analytics or member tracking. Like all other SaaS companies, everything is an add-on and it is not always easy to determine what you get for the price you are being quotes. The software simply feels rudimentary in design and immature in implementation.

• Reviewed on 01/09/2018
Ernest C.
COO
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2020

"Meltwater does the job"

Comments: Excellent service and support.

Pros: Ease of use and data base capture. It’s easy to set up an automated process for newsfeeds and reporting.

Cons: Exporting is not as advanced as I would like. Pdf and cvs are the main options. Formatting on export is less flexible.

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Ernest, we're glad to hear we delivered such a great experience. If there's anything further we can do for you, we are happy to help!

• Reviewed on 26/10/2020
Ryan P.
Director, Marketing & Communications
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"Great product that does just about everything for you!"

Comments: I had it at a previous employer and I needed to get it at my new company as it is that important of a tool to help me stay ahead of what is going on each day in our market.

Pros: Super easy to use; mobile and desk top; can set auto-alerts

Cons: The price is a little high; setting up the searches was fairly tedious but they help you through it.

by Meltwater on 02/11/2020

Ryan, your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us and other professionals know about your positive experience.

Amanda M.
Senior Account Executive
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Great social media monitoring & journalist database tool"

Comments: Tip to your sales team: stop being so aggressive and reading from a script it gets very annoying.

Pros: They have an extensive journalist database and their social media platform is great. Can connect several different clients' accounts and schedule posts and the metrics are great

Cons: Their sales team is extremely aggressive. Only hear from account reps when it's time for renewal and after you sign up they go silent when you have an actual issue.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Katie F.
Digital Content Developer
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/05/2019

"Meltwater is a Capable Social Monitoring Tool!"

Comments: We primarily use Meltwater as a social media monitoring tool. We're a global organization, so it can be difficult to have a full picture of how our business is being referenced across the world. But Meltwater solves that problem!

Pros: Meltwater is very useful in being able to monitor what is being said about our company on a global scale on social media. I get an email every morning that shows me exactly who is saying what and on which platform. It links out to these references as well! From here I can take action and ensure that I'm staying ahead of any negative - and positive - remarks.

Cons: Meltwater's platform can be a bit tricky to learn. It's not a very simple platform - though it's relatively drag-and-drop, but you have to be uber-aware of how to put together the lists you need so everything will be monitored correctly. That's where the Account Managers come into play. So, on the whole, if you don't have a lot of time to learn the platform. I have no doubt it's easy once you get the hang of it, but I don't have that luxury!

• Reviewed on 06/05/2019
Senior Director of Marketing, Communication and Special Events
Museums & Institutions, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"Great investment for the right company"

Comments: I use this software for both distributing press releases and monitoring media coverage and think the product is worth the investment if you are dealing with media on at least the national level. Only complaint is the sales staff (most likely by design of their business model) is on the pushy side to get you to renew you contact early and frquent attempts to upsell new products or features.

Pros: Meltwater is very user friendly and an excellent resource to reach media contacts (broadcast, print and online) nationality and internationally.

Cons: Like all other public relation tools for media, Meltwater tends to have a good amount of media contacts that are out of date but that seems to be an issue accross the board. Price is high, but comparable to other similar software...but worth it if your company is trying to reach media on a national level or monitor your media coverage.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2019
Jeff S.
CMO
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"We use Meltwater Daily and Have for Years... Great tool and service."

Comments: We've been a customer for 3+ years and use Meltwater on a daily basis. Initially, we were mostly using the media monitoring features exclusively, and that alone was enough value to justify our account. More recently we've also been using the Influencer platform for media research and outreach and that has also proven to be extremely useful. Much of our content marketing is driven by things we're able to uncover on a daily basis using Meltwater.

Pros: The breadth of features. Ease of use and flexibility. Daily email reports, customizable Dashboards, integration with analytics and social platforms, comprehensive media/influencer database and contact platform. Outstanding proactive service and support.

Cons: No real complaints about the software. It is very robust and even after several years, we are finding new beneficial ways to leverage Meltwater.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
PR Manager
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2019

"Best Option in the Market"

Comments: With nearly 10 years working in PR, I have had experience with Cision, Vocus, and Meltwater. There is no question that I will continue to use Meltwater in my career because it is most powerful, in my opinion. I also think that their PR distribution (which is integrated into the platform) is better than what the other players have to offer.

Pros: I use Meltwater primarily for its media database and PR distribution. The media data seems to be pretty well updated and when I request changes/additions, they are made very quickly.

Cons: As they have updated the software, I lost some of the key features that added value to how I use it. I wish you could filter search results better, gain better snapshots of individual outreach performance from the overall list, and create news searches based on specific media lists, to name a few. Also, beware of their contract because there is an autorenewal clause no matter if your account rep has reached out to you beforehand or not. Make a note on your calendar ahead of time so that charge doesnt come as a surprise or ask them to remove it from your contract.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2019
Social Media Specialist
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"Meltwater = Too Expensive For Small Business, Good For Larger Operations"

Comments: Overall, the algorithm changes on Instagram took away our use for discovering leads efficiently with the listening tool. The cost was no longer sustainable once it was not bringing in any additional revenue. It is a powerful tool, with great customer service, but I believe it is a little too pricey for smaller businesses.

Pros: I liked how robust the listening side of the software was. You could really dive into the results and pick up conversations that were happening around your brand that you otherwise would not have been able to see.

Cons: What I liked least about this software was that their social inbox was just Sprout Social. I was living within the engagement side of the software and saw little additional value. For those focusing solely on social listening, I recommend looking only at the component.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019
Account Director
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Not impressed."

Comments: Media contact information and a database to determine the relevant reporters would be immensely helpful to PR professionals, unfortunately, there has yet to be a provider that does this in an efficient, accurate and updated way.

Pros: These types of tools are somewhat of a necessary evil in the PR space when it comes to looking up media contacts. Meltwater is no worse than its competitors and about half the time will have the accurate, current contact information of the relevant reporter we are looking for.

Cons: Unfortunately the other half of the time, there is no specific contact information or publications are not even logged in the Meltwater databases. Often, every contact at a specific publication will be listed with the same generic contact email that's listed on the publication's website, making Meltwater's services essentially useless. User is also quite clunky to just be able to search for media outlets/contacts.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Gaurav M.
Manager Analytics
Online Media, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2017

"An awesome Social Media Listening tool for Twitter"

Comments: I have been using Sysomos for almost 2 years and it has never failed to surprise me. The tool is fun to work with Twitter data however it lags when we are looking for Facebook, Blogs, Forums and Instagram mentions.
The tool is good for realtime campaign monitoring.
Downside: The customer support is not that responsive when you encounter any issue with tool like data lapse etc.
Overall it is good product when your prime focus is to monitor Twitter conversations on web.

Pros: 1. Strong Twitter Monitoring
2. Effective Real Time Tracking

Cons: 1. Poor customer support
2. Not so good traditional media tracking

• Reviewed on 14/02/2017
Digital Marketing Specialist
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2019

"High level and getting better"

Pros: Meltwater is aquiring a lot of new companies which is giving their platform more functionality every day. It is not perfect when it comes to social platform API's and I tend to not trust the numbers but it is improving.

Cons: I tend to find a lot of errors within my social media reporting. My account rep has said its due to the restrictive api's of the social platforms which I understand. However, it makes social scheduling difficult as I have to use multiple platforms to schedule posts.

• Reviewed on 05/02/2019
Linda R.
Director of Digital Communications
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/11/2019

"Robust Social Media Monitoring at a Price"

Comments: We tend to use Meltwater in times of social media crises — and it cuts down on manual data compilation and creates easy-to-understand reports for all stakeholders.

Pros: Robust social monitoring capabilities, easy to set up, really great customer support, easily customizable, and easy to export reports.

Cons: It's pricey, but with social media monitoring that is to be expected. In this realm, you get what you pay for, and Meltwater is worth the price because it just pulls in way more intel than any other solution available.

• Reviewed on 05/11/2019
Hailley G.
Public Relations Director
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2019

"I will never recommend any Meltwater products or services"

Comments: Overall, I will never recommend Meltwater as a product or service. Their staff aren't knowledgable and their salespeople sneak auto-renewals into their contracts to keep people on as customers. As a company no one is able to take responsibility and they don’t offer genuine support for their customers

Pros: Some of their employees genuinely want to help (which is what I like best) however, Meltwater as a company doesn't give them the tools to do so.

Cons: Terrible customer support: If you try calling Meltwater's customer support number often times they simply don't pick up. No ownership: One of their employees openly admitted to a high turnover rate of employees and as such, no one was willing to take responsibility for what someone who no longer worked at Meltwater had done. Search results are not accurate: I worked with three account representatives to get accurate results about my company and they never fully worked out. They both missed several key results (the whole purpose of using this service was so I didn't have to dig to find them) and they also brought in incorrect results. Mediate database is out of date: I used their media database several times and it was always difficult to use plus there wasn't updated contact information for reporters. I had better luck looking for emails and phone numbers myself. !!They sneak auto-renewals into contracts and do not notify you!! Even if you tell them you are not planning on renewing it has to be in written form or else they will force you into another year. I no longer trust this team or company to care for their customers.

• Reviewed on 10/01/2019
Cassie C.
Marketing Communication Specialist
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2019

"Complicated Product"

Pros: There are some cool feautres in Meltwater, like being able to search history by specific keywords and dates and exlcusions, and getting email notifications that we can set up for when certain words or our brand is mentioned. It also worked for us to schedule out social posts.

Cons: There are some complications in getting up social posts - sometimes it wouldn't properly tag the person we were trying to tag in our post, and you can't go back and edit a post after it's done to tag the person. Sometimes it almost feels like there are too many features that are difficult to learn to use, and not enough help to properly learn how to use the software. It shouldn't be that complicated. I think it is way over-priced for what you get, and there are competitors much better matched for our needs.

• Reviewed on 28/01/2019
Emily F.
Customer Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2018

"Affordable but over hyped and not suitable for a large company"

Pros: I worked for a large automotive company and moved from NetBase to Sysomos due to cost and ease of use. Sysomos is certainly easy to use and fulfills the basic needs of a small to medium size business - I don't think it's ideal if you have to dive into analytics and provide in depth numbers. If that's the case, Sysomos is not for you.

Cons: I found that Sysomos wasn't delivering the analytics that execs were looking for and there was a lot of manual work that went into it. The content planning side of the software seemed promising until I had to use it daily and dealt with glitches of the screen freezing or not being able to scroll up/down. When presenting content to client and using Sysomos, I was embarrassed. Training was not great, there were so many things he missed out on and we found out later on that we were not using the software to it's absolute fullest due to poor training.

• Reviewed on 12/03/2018
Kara I.
News Writer
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2019

"Great Spreading the Word"

Comments: Overall, Meltwater has been an easy tool to use to distribute information and also see the analytics of how it's being received, opened, clicked, etc. We also use the tool to create a Daily Digest of hits that mention our business in the media or on Twitter.

Pros: This software is completely user friendly. It is easy to upload press releases and sent to various distribution lists.

Cons: Sometimes there are glitches or issues where if there is a lot of traffic happening via Meltwater which makes your particular information experience a delay. Usually, Meltwater staff are able to identify log jams pretty quickly.

• Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Andrey R.
Marketing Business Development Manager
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"Helps me to optimize my social marketing efforts"

Comments: As a social media monitoring tool Meltwater works perfect and helps to see the whole pictures what’s going on with your brand.

Pros: Meltwater is pretty easy to navigate tool and helps me to track many things in one place. The functionality to create different dashboards for different goals are very useful.

Cons: Well, it’s a more complex tool than I expect so needs time to figure out how it works or to use the help of the customer support. I’m a big fan of the explanation videos so if there are more of them would be great!