15 years helping British businesses

About Rentec Direct

Property management software for private landlords and professional managers with 10 - 5,000 properties. Free 14-day trial.

Learn more about Rentec Direct

Pros:

Cons:

If you make an error in the accounting it's a little hard to repair. I would like an option to edit or either delete a transaction or be able to make a note and remove from the accounting error.

Rentec Direct ratings

4.5
4.6
4.3
4.6

9.0/10

Rentec Direct has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 186 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Rentec Direct before?

Dixie
Dixie

Amazing Solution!

Comments: Overall Rentec increases the profitability of my company immensely. It allows me to automate and streamline many activities that both save time and improve accuracy. Their support team is very responsive and always happy to help walk me through any questions I may have on an entry I've made.

Pros:

Rentec is very user-friendly. It's functionality is laid out well and it offers modern integrations such as online rent collection, pay owner by ACH, and electronic signatures for lease agreements. I also am impressed with their customer service. They are always very prompt and helpful.

Cons:

I wish they offered a mobile app for property managers.

5 years ago

Thank you for the glowing review, Carlotti! We love hearing from clients about how they enjoy their tools. I'll be sure to share your love with your Client Success team. :) Wishing you a successful & happy New Year!

Jeremi
Principle Partner/CEO in US

Rentec Direct Has Never Failed Me

Comments: No issues, great platform.... Give it a shot!

Pros:

Easy to use, excellent and responsive customer service, no issues in the 3 years I have been using it.

Cons:

Nothing major.... They are always improving the QOL tidbits and adding new features..... I just make suggestions on improvements wherever I feel something could be improved or implemented.... They do listen to them and I've noticed implementations of things I have wished to see.

RICHARD

Great Property Management Software

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Simple enough and still has lots of power

Cons:

nothing I like the program. and how easy it is to use

Shana A.
Property Manager & Consultant in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Can't recommend this to everyone.

Comments: Honestly, I would switch to another company if I could, but I have too much data in, and am too busy to go through a transfer now, and all of the hassles that would entail. I think Rentec may be a good option if you have only a few units, and very simple accounting, and are looking for a budget product, or have some familiarity with accounting and property management software, so you really don't need the support.

Pros:

So it is very affordable, and some of the software is pretty simple to set up. They are continuing to add support articles and more functionality.

Cons:

Functionality, especially in the accounting area is limited. No ability to select "classes". You have to find work arounds for things that you shouldn't have to. The support team is of little support. I have email chains with OVER 15 EMAILS AND THE QUESTION STILL HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED. It is difficult to reach anyone when you call most times, so you are relegated to chat/email, and often my main question or issue is NEVER actually answered. I still have issues from my first month, and I am now in month six, that are unanswered. Many of the things I have learned, were from hours of trial and error. If they are not going to have a free support option that is actually helpful, then they at least need to offer a paid option. There is also a big gap in the merchant processing area. Their processor, Forte, often sends you back to Rentec, and Rentec sends you back to Forte, and the pricing of the merchant options is not clear or transparent until you get your bill.

4 years ago

We're sorry to hear you got off on a bad foot and your experience has been so different than other client feedback we hear. I will reach out to you personally as I would love to help clear up any confusion.

Real Estate, Self Employed

Come for the website capabilities, stay for the value

Pros:

I switched to this software from another, $10/month cheaper software. Rentec's software is really easy to use. You don't need accounting or business knowledge to operate this software. It is really easy to use. I switched to Rentec so I could have my listings automatically populate on my website (tired of manually entering them on website by Wix). Tenants can also apply electronically from website, and log in to view their tenant or owners portal. The features for the tenants are quite nice, and make my company look professional and modern. The accounting features are great, and paying property owners is a breeze. I had little accounting knowledge when I migrated to this property, and everything makes sense. The auto syndication features are amazing, straight to Zillow and its affiliates overnight.

Cons:

I have to be honest, I'm complaining about a free feature, but my least favorite part of the software is the website in which I migrated to Rentec for. If I try to edit my website and add items that are not on the template, my website has major HTML coding issues and will not publish properly. The visual appearance of my website thru Rentec is subpar considering what I had before. That said, I could not get the functionality I needed from my old website, and I will sacrifice appearance for functionality. I actually learned HTML coding so I could add a contact us field on my website, but I couldn't save the website with HTML coding. Another item I dislike, although it's more a feature I don't use as opposed to an issue with Rentec, is there are so many redundancies when it comes to the tenant. I plug in their email and name, and that should be all for my purposes. But I have to manually go in and authorize them to receive emails from me. And then authorize them access to the tenants portal. And authorize them to make partial payments, and so on.

5 years ago

Thank you, Michael, for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that the majority of your experience with Rentec has been so positive. We're happy you're with us! Adjusting source code on the free website template can throw things for a loop if one character is off, so we typically recommend only website designers adjust it. I would love to see what we can do to assist you with what you're hoping to accomplish on your template. Look for my email! :) If you do opt for a privately hosted website with more flexibility, we offer integration tools for your listings and portals. We look forward to working with you and please reach out if you need our help.

Jerrod
Owner in Mexico
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Clearly software made for and by users!

Comments: Amazing. Simply amazing. Their customer support is the best. Took me 20min on the phone and I knew this was it. I’ve used many of the other “big names” in PM software. Good luck getting support from them. I have my guy who I schedule sessions with as needed, but their online chat people are just as good. Never have I heard “I don’t know how to do that, let me find out for you.” With other softwares that was the answer to every other question.

Pros:

The software is very intuitive and has many features I wasn’t even looking for in software but couldn’t imagine living without now. I’m looming at you Mr “text from the system” feature! As far as the things I actually knew I needed, it had all of that at a price that was great. In fact, I run a property management company as well as my own rentals that must remain separate. I have two subscriptions to Rentec now, one for each!

Cons:

while the website has a great mobile friendly option, it would be easier for my team and I if you had an app. The portal and owner apps are great, just get us a good managers app to complete the trifecta.

2 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! Colton always raves about working with you. We are currently working on developing an app for the property management platform, so stay tuned for updates as our developers get closer to a finished product.

Ellie
Property Manager
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

An outstanding management tool!

Comments: I was on RentPost previously. From that experience, I learned the hard way that while a website may make boasts of great software, if there is no Customer Support or strong Development group behind it, the user experience can be time-consuming and difficult. Converting to Rentec Direct allowed me to free up a lot of time that I formerly spent trying to fix issues caused by the software. I am so pleased with the quality of Rentec's Customer Support and Development teams.

Pros:

1. Customer Support is excellent. There is great help on the Chat window and when that isn't available, phone support is great. 2. Easy to use. Once I got familiar with the system, it became a slam-dunk to manage monthly rent collection and on-time lease renewals. Training was great so I got up to speed quickly. 3. Tenants like it. Ease of use applies to tenants also. Rent reminders and late notices are clear and tenants have no problem working with the system. Rentec takes that burden off my desk. And tenants love the ACH and credit card options. 4. Software works as advertised. The Development team has built a solid product.

Cons:

It would be nice to have a reporting tool that allowed me to create my own reports. Owner reporting is not very elegant as it is today.

Rick
Rick
Property Manager in US

Primarily Use for Advertising Non-MLS Properties

Comments: Even though we jumped to Buildium for most of our Property Management activities, we stayed with Rentec for the marketing aspects as their system is probably the most flexible out there for that. It would be better if we had 1 system doing everything but we are picky and want the best best of both worlds are willing to pay for it.

Pros:

We use the property setup screens, the rental website portal, and syndication. We love that we can list a rental property and either syndicate it to listing services or just advertise it without syndicating it. This has helped us greatly in our marketing, especially for properties that we will only lease and not manage.

Cons:

Rentec has accounting built-in but we were never able to make a go of it as it didn't have all of the functionality that we needed so we stayed with Quickbooks Premium for years until deciding to jump to Buildium for accounting and leasing.

3 years ago

Thanks for the review, Rick! We're so happy you've been with us for six years and that you're enjoying all the marketing features. So many enhancements have happened since you came on board. I'll reach out to you to see if you might be missing out on new features, especially related to accounting. Cheers!

Paul
Consultant in US

Easy and Integrated Property Management

Comments: I mentioned a few specific items on my "wish list" and customer service was able to explain options to accomplish them on the first call. That saves a lot of frustration and wasted customization time. Small and limited staff companies will love the financial and management integration that saves time and money.

Pros:

I had a list of items applicable to my specific circumstances, of course. I used this to compare software, so that I knew these would be accommodated, then on to the functionality. Like many of us, I didn't want a difficult system for my clerical help. At the same time, the integrated accounting and background/credit checks were good matches for our needs and money-saving, to boot.

Cons:

The setup for properties and their perimeters takes some time, but all systems require it. The first, general setup did give us an opportunity to look at our policies and procedures overall, which is important to do, especially when switching to a new system.

Maurice L
Maurice L

Could use some updating

Pros:

It has all the functions you need and more, it just lacked in some areas.

Cons:

It felt like they didn’t want to upgrade to the new era, it wasn’t any app features, the colors weren’t bright like other sites.

last year

We're always working to improve the product and appreciate receiving feedback from our clients. Be on the lookout for Product Update announcements as we release some cool features and enhancements this year.

Rachael
Commercial Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

We have outgrown Rentec

Comments: We have been using Rentec for over 5 years. We have over 600 units on Rentec, both multifamily and retail. We started out as a small company and now have about 30 employees. I was a huge, avid fan of this software when we were smaller, but the lack of controls as we have grown larger now outweigh the positives. There is a very limited amount of control for user access. Basically a user has access to everything or read only access. It is very difficult to control process and data integrity throughout a larger organization. If you are a smaller company starting out, this software is fantastic. If you have more than 5 or 6 people in your data, you can't control the data quality because everyone has access to everything. No way to lock anything down, or create user levels of access. I have been asking Rentec for this change for over 2 years. We are now shopping for different software.

Pros:

Great functionality for smaller companies and number of rental units (4 or fewer employees) Easy to use to get the basics started

Cons:

If you plan on growing past 5 employees, consider something else. Not enough controls for various employee access/restriction to appropriate data/pages. Customer service used to be great, has slowed considerably in the last 2 years. The company has gotten a lot larger, and thus don't listen as well as they used to. Make sure that the software meets your current (and future) needs. Don't expect major changes. Small rollouts of capabilities do continue to happen.

Anthony
Broker/owner in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

Rep has been a great help

Comments: Rep has been over the top helpful
I have call several times trying to set up a Merchant account and each time I talked to her, she has patiently walked me through it, even when I have been annoyingly slow to understand.

Pros:

Great customer service and easy to use. Plus many services at a cost effective price. Very good reports

Cons:

Not easy to call. Have to wait for call back, not always convenient. I would also like more freedom to be able to custmize reports

Lisa Ann
Property Manger
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Best Customer Service ever!!!! Great Product.

Comments: I shopped around for different software. We decided on this because it was affordable and seemed to be compatible for my size company. Their customer service is the best hands down. They are quick to respond and patient. They also implemented a new Chat service which is fantastic!

Pros:

It streamlines so many things for me. There is a bit of a learning curve as with anything but you have their total support to get you through it. Whether it be email, phone, chat or their knowledge base.

Cons:

Each state handles some things differently and so in some situations I have to manually do things and it can't be automatically set up.

January
Partner in US

Amazing Software Package

Comments: We just recently selected Rentec Direct for our rental company management software selection. Rentec has been wonderful to work with from the initial point of contact regarding software questions prior to our subscription and as we continued to move forward with the set up and use of the software. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Rentec has been very prompt to reply and provided very informative assistance and training so that we can begin use of the software. We initially were in search of a company that could allow us the ability to perform credit and background searches on prospective tenants. We ended up with a program that offered much more! It has the ability to assist with complete leasing management from the application stages to collections of rent, and report tracking and management features. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been on stand by to assist with all steps of Rentec features as we progress with our use of the software. This is our first apartment building to own and manage the leases of the property and Rentec will be an amazing asset to ensure its success.

Pros:

The many features that Rentec has bundled into one package making the management of our apartment leasing streamlined and easy. Excellent customer service and hands on training!

Cons:

At this time we have no dislikes with the software.

4 years ago

Great to hear your positive feedback, January! We love hearing from new clients. Just know we'll be here for you for the long haul. :)

Wendy
Commercial Real Estate, Self Employed

Great Software

Pros:

Program is very easy to use. I used quickbooks for my rental property accounting and then a combination of paper, Word and Excel to keep track of everyone.With 50 units, I really needed something to keep better track of my tenants. It takes a while to get everything set up, but once you do everything works together seamlessly. I now only need to enter things once and not use multiple systems. The customer service is Amazing!! When I have questions they email me back within a couple of hours and have the answers I need. I haven't moved my website to Rentec yet, but I plan to soon.

Cons:

Haven't really found anything that I don't like yet. The only thing I would change would be the deposit slips. I don't like that they don't print each check individually on them, just the total amount of deposit.

Deb
Commercial Real Estate

Awesome Inexpensive Product

Pros:

After purchasing my second two unit, I decided I needed a program to keep track of everything and started searching online for something to use. Rentec Direct was free to use, so I tried it. It is an awesome program! I have too many units for the free program, however, I have no problem paying to use it as it is that good. What I like best is that Rentec Direct continues to make changes resulting in a better product.

Cons:

My only suggestion is that under the payment type drop down window, direct deposit needs to be added.

Brian
Commercial Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great Product

Comments: I love using this software to manage our properties. Super intuitive and quite robust. They seem to be constantly adding features too! I especially like the tenant portal and automatic reminder notices. Credit card and ACH processing is very convenient for tenants which helps keeps things current. The customer support is fabulous. They are extremely knowledgeable and always quick to respond to questions. I especially love that the software is in the cloud, so support can look up our account in real time, and fix any issues.

Pros:

Super easy to use. lots of tools to communicate directly with tenants. Reporting is great.

Cons:

I wish there was easier mobile access. It's a little hard to use the messaging feature on a phone. It would be great if there was a way to add additional email addresses and mobile phone numbers so I could communicate with multiple tenants within the same unit.

Scott

Rentec Review

Comments: Very Good

Pros:

Basically most everything. Software is great and very comprehensive. The support is very good as well.

Cons:

The only thing I have run into that has been an issue is that when I generate a report, then select to send that report via the email icon to an email address, I do not have any record showing I sent that to the address. No copy of that email anywhere in Rentec. I can check a box to copy the mail to myself when I send it, but when I get it, it does not show it sent to the other email address, just to me. Rentec support suggested I send the copy of the report out of my own mail account so I have the record. I can do that, but it is more time consuming. Not a big deal, but just wanted to give you the feedback.

4 years ago

Hey Scott! Thanks for your feedback! We sure appreciate knowing how your program is working well for you and what you'd like to see enhanced. I'll make sure our development team is in the loop. In the meantime, have you tried sending out a report to a vendor, tenant or Property Owner directly through their email folder? If you do, those emails are currently captured in the master log and the individual log. Reach out to us if you ever need help!

Eugene
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Time consuming & geared for others

Comments: I was really hoping for more. I am somewhat satisfied so far, but the software could use updates more rapidly than the current course for its age. The people are very friendly & helpful, but the software is what it is.

Pros:

Everything in one place (almost) Landlord & Tenant portals Easy to share info with other coworkers Summary page is the best thing going!

Cons:

Hard to master Accounting can be confusing No budgeting available Not cost effective to sign up multiple bank accounts if you run multiple clients with single family homes separately Some items don't make sense - i.e. property manager info has to be associated with marketing, rather than a general inquiry line, which we use for all properties, regardless of manager Finding the right page can take a few clicks sometimes

Greg
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Couldn't ask for a better solution for our business.

Comments: I'm consistently impressed with Rentec Direct's support and products. When we signed up it was to just do one tenant screen, but we found out they also have a complete software solution for managing our portfolio of properties. I used to use Quickbooks but after using Rentec's accounting tools for just a week I was sold because Rentec is so much easier. The other things that I really liked about this company is they tell it like it is. Their pricing is straight forward and they don't hide anything with hidden fees. Every time I contact their support, they are always friendly and very helpful too. I've called a few times now getting setup and I always get an English speaking rep who really knows their stuff.

Pros:

Better support than I've ever experienced with any company, EVER! The software was really easy to learn. No term contracts, I like that.

C

Everything I needed

Pros:

It was easy to set up, and it's easy to use. I can easily pick and choose how much or how little of the program elements I want to use. It has plenty of report and tracking options, and provided lots of room for growth.

Cons:

Really don't have any complaints. I wanted a way to compare properties profitability to one another and it doesn't do that. But I don't know that any of the rental property software out there does.

Shannon
Real Estate

Everything I need and things keep coming I didn't know I need.

Pros:

I like that everything is right there. The price is very reasonable and this application includes all of the items the very expensive programs include. The customer support has been incredible these last six years and they keep adding things that really help.

Cons:

Strictly operator error, I forget my log in from time to time. Seriously, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with.

Yohan
Property Manager
Commercial Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Customer service is adequate but can be improved

Comments: I love the software it has simplified my business, but I think a thorough training of how the software operates would be extremely helpful

Pros:

The customer is courteous and responsive once you actually talk to the right person. When I set up my account I scheduled a time for someone to walk me through the process of how the software operates.

Cons:

The person that walked me through my software training was a substitute for the lady that was assigned to assist me and she was booked for that particular day and time. The substitute did an adequate job explaining the software, but my partner and I would have preferred to wait for the main software trainer.

Leslie
Director of Operations in US

Rentec Direct- Changing the Way to Manage your Property

Pros:

Rentec Direct is an intuitive and easy software that allows laypeople to keep track of all income and expenses related to one or many properties with multiple tenants to manage. If you need to speak with someone when one of those 'irregular' situations with your properties, Rentec is always there at the phone ready to walk you right through to a solution. Rentec Direct updates and adds more features that will automatically load into your existing software. And at the end of the year when it's time to pay your taxes, Rentec Direct will print out the reports it used to take you over a week to sort out.

Cons:

What's not to like?

Marsha
Property Manager and Managing Broker
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great product, very user-friendly, terrific customer support!

Comments: We got Rentec Direct for our Property Management department about 3-4 years ago - it was so easy to set up and get started with extremely intuitive and easy to use, great features and functionality and if you ever need them, the customer support folks are top notch and very knowledgeable and friendly. They have a "Knowledgebase" built into the software program that actually answers the majority of the questions you might have and it walks you through how to set everything up. Even those of us who have never used YARDI or other PM programs were able to pick it up right away and use it in on day 1.

Pros:

Easy set-up and user-friendly, great Knowledgebase and customer support.

Cons:

none, really