15 years helping British businesses

About MySQL

Meet the database challenges of next gen web, cloud, & communications services with uncompromising scalability, uptime and scalability

Learn more about MySQL

Pros:

It's great that MySQL still provides the community version of DB along with all the Connectors which it has to offer.

Cons:

The version update is bad it should have an automatic update and to use in the HTTPS url for example just internally messing with his code.

MySQL ratings

4.4
4.2
4.5
4.6

8.8/10

MySQL has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 2,051 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used MySQL before?

Filter reviews (2,051)

Ravindu
Ravindu
Software Engineer in Sri Lanka
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A thought on MySQL

Comments: As currently I have developed inventory system, clinic system, an backend application for a private company to manage huge no of memberships and ads, and a UK company for manage Business Name , Limited company, trademark and domain registrations and renewals. All of these used with mysql its those are running smoothly. Never had any headaches as through sql queries can manipulate easily and had fast responses for even complex queries and for huge no of data Frameworks used are spring boot and laravel.

Pros:

Known and used by most people as most secure and reliable relational database management system. Accompanies 99.99% uptime. Nothing to fears as open source. Can have millions of helps through community. Offers a wide scope of high accessibility like cluster servers master slave replication. Provides high performance even for large volume projects. Growing and improving frequently. Best for cloud applications and big data applications. Supports by huge no of frameworks.

Cons:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux, openSUSE, Fedora, Slackware Linux etc moved to MariaDB.

Maha
Assistant Professor in Lebanon
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

MySQL: A Popular RDBMS for Teaching Database Concepts

Comments: Great experience using MySQL for teaching database concepts for undergraduate and graduate students.

Pros:

The main feature that I cherish in MySQL is the ability of my students to deploy it locally without the complexities of intricate configurations and deployment mechanisms. I used MySQL as part of the Bitnami WAMP stack (MariaDB is now packaged in Bitnami) to get a complete server bundle that is easy for students to deploy and configure. Before I relied in my teaching on a networked Oracle installation that was not that performance efficient and didn't give students the chance to configure the server environment. Moreover, with a networked configuration testing various SQL concepts would be a bit complex compared to having a local database installation.

Cons:

Changing the open-source license by Oracle was a bit disappointing. MariaDB is a kind of open-source alternative to MySQL with very similar features and architecture.

CEO in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

MySQL- dependable for your smaller database and data extraction needs

5.0 last week New

Comments: We have thoroughly enjoyed the ease of use for MySQL for our smaller database and dataset needs. Have been using it for over a decade.

Pros:

If you have even a small amount of experience with SQL, you will find MySQL easy to use. We can easily create a database, tables and queries on the fly for any of our data needs.

Cons:

Best suited for smaller databases, not large datasets.

Anika
analyst in India
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Value benefit product

3.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

ease of use, user friendly, good interface

Cons:

not updated with latest requirements of my field

Sami
Software Developer in Germany
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Best RDBMS tool.

Comments: It is a useful relational database for storing data.
I always use it with the projects that I create.
As I have seen it as the simplest and easiest among other databases.

Pros:

A light program on the computer. It features a beautiful control interface that makes it easy to use in creating databases, tables, relationships between them, or other services. It is characterized by taking a backup copy and restoring it smoothly.

Cons:

When I am writing queries I found that some are different from the other and I have to search on the Internet to make them work. Sometimes the large amount of data slows down the insertion, updating and selection process.

Erick
Security engineer in Mexico
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

MySQL, a good option to store customer data in a safe way

Comments: My experience with MySQL has been very good. I have been able to create powerful software that takes advantage of the main feature of MySQL.

Pros:

Free, easy to install and configure, good support of many programming languages and a big community. The documentation is very detailed.

Cons:

Lower perfomance than other database options, the monitoring feature can be improved and the configuration for distributed databases should be easier to set

Leah
Artist in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Great firewall an VPN features

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: So far it's doing and running better then most

Pros:

That it has a strong firewall keeps safe with VPN and alerts fast to help and prevents loss

Cons:

Nothing is perfect. But this is darn close

Soe Min
Programmer in Myanmar
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

MySQL: The most flexible DBMS

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It's a relational database management system and easy to work with structured data. Support a secure protection for sensitive data such as passwords. Last but not least, it's a free and open-source software.

Cons:

Lack of ability to handle large databases. When it comes to development and debugging tools, MySQL can't provide as much as paid databases does.

Soon Kit
Enterprise Risk Officer in Singapore
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

High quality data management tool

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Advanced data management tools. it has all the features needed to create, operate and archive data

Cons:

High license cost. Some features are not needed for smaller projects

Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

A good option for database management

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I learned the basics of MySQL pretty easy in 2021, it was confusing at the beginning but once I learned them, I was able to manage the database pretty easily. Making queries is easy and fast, which is something that I've always loved about MySQL.

Pros:

You can easily manage your data with MySQL, its data filter featuer is really helpful, integrating MySQL with other software is really simple, the permissions system is really useful and works well.

Cons:

Learning all the commands can be very tricky, but once you've done that, you won't have any issues managing your database.

Jim
Sr Web Engineer in US
Information Services, Self Employed

Stable Database for Every Project

Pros:

I came from programming background who used PHP as primary language and naturally MySQL was the database for the backend. One feature about MySQL is how easy it is to setup and use and how flexible it is to operate. I have used both the CLI (Command Line Interface) and GUI (Graphical User Interface) to interact with the database to create tables, add records, update and remove records, all seem really fast and stable. I used MySQL on my Windows, Mac, and Linux machines without any hiccups. It follows the traditional Relational Database Management System structure with you first create the database, then the tables, then add records to the tables before you can query them. The client used to interface MySQL include the web-based tool like PHPMySQL, and Windows tool like HeidiSQL or MySQL Workbench. These tools all connect to the database very easily. These tools also lets you backup your database for offline storage.

Cons:

The recent trend of database has gone from the traditional Relational model to NoSQL, which is a SQL platform that uses mostly JSON format to store data instead of the traditional database tables and records. This is where MySQL lacks, MySQL doesn't have the ability to run as NoSQL so if you intend to use a NoSQL database, MySQL is not for you. One other thing I noticed about MySQL database is if you have a large collection of data and IF your SQL query is not very optimized, the speed to return the data set can be very very slow. Of course, the only way to fix it is optimize or change your query.

Ryan
Founder, CEO in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

MySQL is hands down the best free database software

Comments: Overall, MySQL isn't always the right choice, but for startup applications and smaller projects, it's the best. Over time you have to learn when to use certain database software, but as a general rule of thumb, MySQL absolutely can handle anything with some configuration and the price is incredible (free). Personally, I've done research on JSON based databases and they lack structure and make things a pain in the long run, which is why I'm only mentioning MySQL and SQL Server in this review. There are other similar acceptable alternatives such as postgres but I've never had reason to use them over MySQL.

Pros:

- If you structure your database correctly, it's very stable - It's free, and there are MySQL derivatives (MariaDB) that are even more powerful - The xtradb database engine in MariaDB (a derivative of MySQL) is incredibly fast - You can do things quickly and have some data integrity risks on small projects, or you can do things properly and have virtually no risk on mission critical applications - VERY easy to scale and setup database clusters and replication, especially in all of the cloud providers

Cons:

- The barrier for entry is too low, causing MySQL and MariaDB to get a bad rep because inexperienced users take advantage of its simplicity - Performance isn't on par with MSSQL/SQL Server without a ton of configuring

Adonay Andres
CTO in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Still good after lots of years

Comments: I've been using MySQL for 12+ years. It was great then and it's great now. Lots of features have been added and query speed has been improved by a lot.
Since it's a software that has been around us for many years, I insist, the backwards compatibility isn't the desired one, all the needed adjustments to datasets generated in old versions (that are still running in production environments) rely on the dba. Would be great if there could be a utility that handles that.

Pros:

I like that it has a community edition which allows to get the software for free with community support. In the case of red hat/CEntOS host, a repository settings can be added and the installation is pretty straightforward. As long as it is correctly setup according to the server resources and expected demand, it runs pretty fast, it is stable and supports lots of connections.

Cons:

I feel that it has been starting to loose its backwards compatibility. If you need to use a previous feature, for example, if you want to use the mysql native password, now you need to specify it when creating a user, otherwise, it won't work straightforward with most CMS software. Also, as some datatypes are being improved (which should be a nice to have feature), when migrating to a newer version, restoring a dump can turn into a headache. The users model have also changed, so, if you had a very large users set, you have to do some work to make it work again in newer versions.

Chirag
CITO in US
Insurance, 51–200 Employees

Great database for an SMB

Comments: MySQL served global operations for multiple SMBs I worked with in my career. It powered public websites as well as internal applications. No matter which well-known programming language you use, MySQL support will be fantastic. Backup and restore was very easy. To monitor MySQL, we used Monyog/Webyog. We used Percona MySQL and used XtraBackup for backup and restore. We also set up replication, which was very easy to do. The cost of operation was only a few hundred dollars a year and we got excellent value out of it.

Pros:

Speed. MySQL is fast! Now, fast is a relative term which depends on workloads, database design and more. I work in Small and Medium Businesses space where a couple hundred GB of data in database or less is common. MySQL's performance has been blazing fast in majority of the installs with default or with slight change in configuration.

Cons:

Confusion of selection is the least favorite. MySQL Community/Enterprise edition from Oracle is the most common for those who know MySQL. If you are new to MySQL and researching it for your small business, you'll inevitably come cross MySQL from Oracle, MySQL from Percona, MariaDB etc., which makes your selection process harder. I recommend installing MySQL downloaded from Percona. If you want support, Percona provides that too at a reasonable cost.

Harshil
Software Developer in India
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

My Experience With MySQL

Comments: I have been using MySQL for about 3 year now and it has been a great experience. The database is very easy to use and the support is great. There have been a few times when I have had to contact customer support and they have always been very helpful.

Pros:

MySQL is free and open source software.It has a large community of users and developers.It is easy to learn and use. It is portable and can be used on many different platforms. It is fast and efficient.

Cons:

The only downside to MySQL is that it can be a bit slow at times. This is usually when I am running a lot of queries at the same time. Overall, though, I have been very happy with MySQL.

Jordan
CTO/Co-Founder in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

I love my MySQL (see what I did there)

Comments: I thoroughly enjoy working with MySQL and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. For linux hosting environments there is no other database tool of choice for me.

Pros:

I enjoy MySQL as a web-based SQL database tool. In particular, it's comparability with PHP makes it a formidable tool when creating hosted web applications. I myself have used MySQL to create MANY web based databases for web applications, websites and CMS powered websites alike. Very few downsides to using MySQL and it's basically globally accepted by the Web Development community.

Cons:

Very few things. If I had to pick something I would say that the PHPMyAdmin user interface for MySQL databases could definitely use an update. To be honest though, I'm not even sure if PHPMyAdmin is a part of MySQL or cPanel itself so take this criticism with a grain of salt.

deba
deba
IT Support executive in Nigeria
Oil & Energy, 51–200 Employees

lightweight but reliable and effective.

Comments: MYSQL saved my company money on longtime basic and have also resulted in faster processing time from database call and query while its ability to work well with third-party interface application meant that I do not have to work from command prompt screen.

Pros:

I used MySQL in a project that was covered under the GPL license thus it was free. This helped My company save a lot of expenses compared to when we were using another DB software. My adaptation to MYSQL was quick based on my previous use and knowledge of MSSQL which have similar Coding structure and many parallel functions. MYSQL, been open sourced means that there are tons of thousands of supports and help is available on the internet. I have found this to be particularly very helpful in sorting out otherwise difficult situations. Reliability of MYSQL is the reason MYSQL is the most used database client and I cannot agree less! Been a witness to its reliability, I can say that MYSQL does what it was designed for effectively…and to think it is always been improved upon. I have used MYSQL with Apache/Tomcat JAVA, Perl. , PHP and JSP and it Worked seamlessly with them. I have observed that MYSQL works best for me when called from Spring Web Flow either through a Hibernate layer or JDBC though. MYSQL is flexible, easy to install because of its lightweight and can scale to very heavy DB without the need for additional support. So far, there has not been a need to change to a new database management application for us. The only downside I have noticed is on query time speed. for instance, a query that use to call for 0.18 seconds now does 0.23 seconds due to DB expansion over the period of 1 year which is still acceptable.

Cons:

The need for technical support is overwhelming even though you will most likely find help on the internet. It is difficult to get your actual database performance base on your system specs adaptation like memory utilization and usage during different calls. There is a shocking lack of documentation for many functions embedded within the program and I had to resort to the internet to uncover their uses. You are going to have to learn MYSQL irrespective of your previous knowledge of query languages. This can be more difficult if you are totally new to structural languages and querying tables. The fact that MySQL does not support ARRAY data types means it cannot be adapted to certain situations and projects. I advise you get detailed need analysis before jumping on MYSQL to avoid data type mismatch and project regrets.

Pete
Sales Representative in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Scalable software for simple to complex applications

Comments: I have had a generally good experience with MySQL. The MySQL RDBMS overall is an excellent software platform. I use it for an auction website that I designed. It takes quite a bit of study to learn about things like the column types and proper table structuring but as a layperson (i.e. not a professional programmer) you can learn the software well enough to make proper use of the program.

Pros:

MySQL integrated really well with the PHP scripting language. MySQL is what is called a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). It is a software system that uses the SQL database query language to manipulate data in a database. MySQL provides for data handling, storing, modifying, and deleting in a tabular format. You can design your database so that each table has a key to at least one other table and that each table can access data in every one of the other tables in the database (hence the word "relational"). With a properly designed MySQL database you won't have any orphaned rows or tables. The database queries that use SELECT, UPDATE, or DELETE are simple and straightforward to use with the PHP scripting language. As an end user, like myself, you don't have to install and maintain this software. The MySQL software comes preinstalled on most server hosting plans meaning the server hosting provider does the installation and maintenance for the software.

Cons:

The MySQL reference manual is not clear enough in describing how to utilize many of the features for MySQL. The manual is too technical and apparently is designed for persons with a high level of computer programming or technical knowledge. The manual is sometimes confusing when seeking to find the proper column type to use (i.e. TEXT, CHAR, VARCHAR, etc.). The Date and Time functions for MySQL like DATE and DATETIME are hard to understand and difficult to implement. The table join features are difficult to understand and use.

Managing Director in US

MySQL is a super database program and it's free!

Comments: First, I pay nothing for this software, its open source and freely downloadable on as many computers as you want. Second, it is reliable. Backups are a breeze with mysqldump statements, and restores are just as easy and quick. Third, it is very fast. Do yourself a favor. Take the time to learn this database software. You won't regret it.

Pros:

When I first started keeping a customer database, I started with MS Access because it seemed the fastest and easiest option and I had MS Office already. Then I discovered the Linux operating system and decided I wanted to use open source software whenever possible. And the first program I found was MySQL. I converted my ACCESS database over to MySQL and haven't looked back since. This was in 1998. Soon thereafter I found that I could write PHP web pages to display my customer database records in a lot of neat ways, so I learned to how to write PHP pages. I've been using MySQL and PHP pages ever since. MySQL is fast, it has all the features you want, and don't worry about number of records in your databases it will handle all you need.

Cons:

I was familiar with the linux terminal when I started using MySQL so that wasn't completely foreign to me. Of course I quickly realized database language is completely different, so I had to start learning select statement, insert delete etc. But since there weren't many complicated things I needed to do (mostly just select statements insert delete update statements) it didn't take me long to be able use the MySQL cli. Although there are GUI tools for MySQL, I never really spent much time on them, other than phpMySQL, which is a great tool for MySQL. The downside of MySQL is you have to learn its language. And that takes time. But then again that's the beauty of MySQL.

William
Solution Artist in US
Telecommunications

I started in Access/Excel, then MSSQL. Now: The only DB system we use is MySQL

Comments: A couple lifetimes ago I worked with Lotus1*2*3. In my next life I eventually settled on Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access for data storage and manipulation. I maintained the necessary tech memberships to allow access to all forms of Microsoft software, and built example systems for existing clients in both Microsoft SQL and MySQL. Hands down the MySQL based systems have always won the client vote, sometimes simply for the pricetag and sometimes for the simple open-source power of the community of available implementations. MySQL can work faster and it can work more securely. I have had a few clients who have preferred PostreSQL (because they were already married to it) and we've written a few applications for it. We've also modified many legacy Microsoft SQL applications. Usually, however, we're called in to migrate from MSSQL to MySQL any time a company actually performs any form of study to determine what's best moving forward. The criteria is simple: If the change is due to an internal or external check to find what their best answer is: The answer is always "MySQL". If, however, the solution was determined by "someone got ahold of the boss/owner/CEO and a unilateral decision was made without any other input", then the solution installed was two things: Expensive and short-lived. No joke. This applies to any software that requires data storage that we've dealt with in that last 10 years (IE: "This" lifetime). From CRM to Telephony and Web. I gave up my TechNet subscription over 6 years ago because no client had chosen a Microsoft solution for Server-side operations in three years.

Pros:

Cost. Reliability. Ease of installation. Power.

Cons:

While I have had some complaints about error locating in the MySQL code we write, I understand that the underlying technology would be degraded by more checks and balances within the system. Plus: This concept applies equally to every version of SQL we use (Postgre and MSSQL included).

Suyogya
Suyogya
General Manager in Nepal

My experience with MySQL

Comments: Overall, my experience with MySQL has been great. Every developer in my office prefer to use MySQL for the database. I myself have a huge fan of this classic database management system. I even tried using other DBM Systems but I couldn't have anything as easy to use as MySQL. This is why I recommend everyone to use MySQL every time.

Pros:

Without a doubt, every feature MySQL offers is very useful and effective. The database management system that MySQL provides is very important in the field I am in. The developers in my company use MySQL for the data management in backend. Our company itself stores the data of its employees in the database using MySQL. I myself have used MySQL a lot. I completed my final year project in university by developing a website which store all of the user's data in MySQL database. It is very easy use and understand. The way it performs even with huge number of data is also very impressive. Data filtering and monitoring are also fluid and easy to carry out using MySQL.

Cons:

MySQL is heavily based on queries or commands and it is quite confusing sometimes. Personally, I have a habit of forgetting small details in the queries and commands which I have to google search later. I would prefer to have a GUI based options to work with MySQL or suggestions with commands. But, that is a personal preference, not all users will forget the queries. Other than that, I don't have any complaints with MySQL as of now.

Ashish
Software Engineer in India
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Best open source relational database for beginners and experienced professionals

Comments: I are working on a recruitment drive management software. I use MySQL database to store all my dynamic application data like user, college, company, recruitment drive, student etc. MySQL provides easy to use interface to make db queries to read, update, create and deletion of data. I got benefit using MySQL in terms of reliability, speed, easy to use interface, simple query syntax and support of joins. MySQL provides easy to understand documentation to understand its insights to get the full benefit from it. I recommend MySQL to all entry level and experienced developers, administrators and engineers. It support all types of basic and enterprise level needs of storing relational data. MySQL is easily adaptable with all programming languages.

Pros:

MySQL is the simple, fast, popular open source and freely available database for software developer. MySQL provides adapter to integration to almost all types of programming languages. MySQL query syntax is easier to learn compared to all other database management software. It also support highly complex and advanced SQL queries. It is being maintained by Oracle. MySQL has good documentation. MySQL provides a tool called Workbench to write queries and look in the table data. MySQL provides the indexing and hashing for faster reading of data.

Cons:

MySQL doesn't support complex data types like: JSON and ARRAY. MySQL does not support SQL check constraints that is used to validate data stored in a column. MySQL doesn't support common table expression. MySQL doesn't support full outer joins. It is costly to increase connections limit in MySQL.

Matthew
Software Developer in South Africa
Construction

Excellent relational database manager

Comments: As it's extremely easy to use, iv'e had no reason to change over to another database manager. However in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database which is becoming a growing concern for me as my companies data is growing substantially.

Pros:

iv'e been developing for a few years now and using MySQL has made my programming an absolute breeze. MySQL is designed to focus on big data, especially for web development I originally used Microsoft SQL Server but chose to use MySQL instead which provides a great opportunity for a platform that is easy to integrate., is easily scaleable and has great data integrity. As i use MySQL for my company, we now have over 300 various active tables processing our data on a daily basis. Plugging into my IDE's for web development is extremely easy and reliable to work with. Because of its popularity over the years, there are solutions to nearly everything in MySQL. The amount of online learning material makes this a simple investment for anyone looking to utilize databases in their projects MySQL is a great place to start for companies that don't foresee using relational databases.

Cons:

Porting a MySQL application to Microsoft SQL Server, or to a competing SQL database engine, requires a significant amount work. as MYSQL is not backward compatible. Although in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database.

Solomon
Web Developer in Nigeria
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

MySql is reliable and great for big organizations, but tedious for a lone noob programmer.

Comments: Overall, MySQL is a powerful and reliable database management system, but it may have some limitations when handling unstructured data and maintaining the schema. It offers robust data recovery options but might be cumbersome when compared to newer non-relational databases.

Pros:

I have been using MySQL for several years and I have to say, it has proven to be a reliable and powerful database management system. It offers robust data recoveries options such as binary log and InnoDB crash recovery, which gives me peace of mind knowing my data is safe. The data dictionary feature is also extremely useful, it makes managing the database and optimizing queries a breeze. Overall, I highly recommend MySQL to anyone in need of a solid, open-source database management system.

Cons:

I have been using MySQL for some time and I have to say, I find it to be quite cumbersome when compared to newer non-relational databases. One major issue I have encountered is the difficulty in handling large amounts of unstructured data, which is common in many modern applications. Additionally, the rigid schema and the effort required to maintain it can be a big headache, especially in a fast-paced development environment. These issues are typical in traditional RDBMS like MySQL and are less prevalent in Nrdbms

Industrial Automation, 10,000+ Employees

Reviewing MySQL database usage as a hybris dec

Pros:

Backup and restoring the dump comes very handy for the local environment setup. Refreshing lower environments with prod data is amazing feature.

Cons:

Some built in query functions are not supported like HSQL db. Requires a workbench tool to access db directly.