Filter by:

• Overall

About SIMUL8

Make confident, impactful decisions with the world's fastest, most intuitive and effective simulation platform for desktop and the web.

Learn more about SIMUL8

Diego G.
Diego G.
Consultant in Mexico
Management Consulting, 201-500 Employees

Great Software and Customer Support

5 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Have used Simul8 on a variety of projects ranging on different sectors. The main goal has always been to optimize the process and improve the KPI's that we are attacking.

Pros:

I like the software because it's easy to use on a basic level and you can unlock the next level with more complicated tools and functions, the support team is amazing available for any questions you might have and always ready to help.

Cons:

The webpage software lags when using, the app is way better. Reporting results has a basic view can be more advanced.

Alternatives Considered: Simio and ARENA

Reasons for Switching to SIMUL8: Customer support

Stacey C.
Analytics Manager in UK
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees

A powerful tool

4 last year

Comments: Overall I have had a very positive experience of using the software. We've used Simul8 for looking at explaining why ambulances queuing at emergency departments in recent years has increased. Currently are using it to look at staff required to deal with call demands at GP practices. We also use it for training other analysts to help them understand what discrete event simulation is and can do.

Pros:

I find that the visualisation aspect of using Simul8 software for discrete event simulations really helps management and frontline staff to enagage in discussions around how to improve their system and gives them more confidence in results. Some of the features included make producing a model quicker for me than alternative solutions. One of the main reasons I'll use Simul8 over alternatives is the speed of reply and the very knowledgeable support staff. The ability to export full documentation of your model does help in making it more transparent to those who want to reproduce a similar model in alternative software and it does now connect to R as well as Excel. Really like the ability to use the online version of Simul8 as well as the desktop version. You can build simple models with the standard features quite rapidly which is great for beginners but the additional features like Optquest and Visual Logic expand its possibilities much further.

Cons:

The obvious one is being a commercial company there is always going to be a cost and my organisation being public sector means there is a push right now to use opensource solutions instead. I sometimes find the visual logic help on the website doesn't resolve my query but a quick sometimes usually export to R or Excel for final versions. It is possible to occasionally crash but I can't remember it ever not recovering my work.

Ibrahim S.
Lead engineer - Digital Manufacturing in India
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees

Excellent Simulation software...

5 2 years ago

Comments: Excellent software to develop production planning & scheduling solutions..

Pros:

Very easy to build any discrete process and writing logics is easy. Very less license cost and supports com interface..

Cons:

Not possible build the simulaion in3D. No OPC interface.

Karen O.
Chief of Staff in UK
Public Safety, 51-200 Employees

Great support for an easy to use product

5 5 days ago New

Comments: The Simul8 model has helped us see how our contact centre performance might be effected by changes in demand and services we offer. The ability to run different scenarios takes the guesswork out of our resource management and allows us to present compelling business cases to both staff and management about what is needed. As a charity we benefited from pro-bono support from Simul8, but always received assistance and help whenever we asked. The team really have been superb and helped us evolve the model as we used it. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Pros:

The Simul8 model is really easy to use after the initial set up, uploading different potential shift patterns and/or demand and seeing how this changes our potential performance over time. Outputs, in the form of both performance figure and graphs, help us see where the issues build up over the day/ week etc and trial difference resource patterns to address these. It requires no technical skill to use on a day to day basis, making it accessible and therefore used regularly.

Cons:

There were a few glitches when inputting data; you have to be consistent with your data formatting and user error crept in. But that resolves easily with time and understanding - the support team guided us through whenever we hit a minor bump!

Abby C.
Lecturer in UK
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great software for teaching simulations

5 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I used SIMUL8 in teaching, and it's great both to give students experience building simulations and to help them understand the importance and value of probability distributions generally. The fact that students can build simulations without coding is really helpful, and the graphics help the concepts become really clear to students.

Cons:

From my experience teaching with the software, it works very well, and there is nothing to say I like least.

Patrick S.
President/Owner in US
Management Consulting, Self Employed

SIMUL8 Professional Continues to Impress

5 10 months ago

Comments: Originally I helped the selection and use for a large scale simulation for a tier 1 banking system.

Pros:

The software can be used at varying levels depending on complexity of the problem and expertise of the user. From simple continuous improvement projects to modeling an entire airport or world-wide call center system.

Cons:

The ability to import a vizio process flow directly into SIMUL8 could be more user-friendly. Also, its interface with Minitab.

Hamza B.
PhD student in Morocco
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees

Review

4 2 years ago

Pros:

Simple and easy to use. Visual logic is very nice.

Cons:

Weak animation compared to other simulation softwares.

Joseph H.
Naval Architect in UK
Maritime, 501-1,000 Employees

Simul8 Review

4 5 months ago

Comments: I have enjoyed using Simul8, it has helped on a project within my Company, I was especially impressed by the customer service when looking for help from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN. She was very helpful and fixed the issues I was having.

Pros:

I liked how easy it was to build a simulation and start getting results quickly.

Cons:

Some of the user interface can be difficult to understand and slightly clunky to use. I have also noticed while using the software with multiple monitors that boxes or menus in the software can "appear" just off the screen.

SIMUL8 Response

5 months ago

Thanks for your review! A member of the Simul8 team will be in touch to learn more about your valuable feedback.

Craig H.
Asset Care Engineer in UK
Textiles, 501-1,000 Employees

Simul8

5 8 months ago

Comments: we have used the software to model loading schedules and optimise our factory design and working practices.

Pros:

Allows complicated problems to better understood than traditional techniques would become overwhelmed.

Cons:

I find the visual logic very good but it does take some time to fully understand nevermind master. part of the strength of the software is its ability to model just about anything.

Kristina N.
Kristina N.
Industrial Engineer II in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Ease of use and WONDERFUL customer experience

5 2 years ago

Comments: 10/10 - I would purchase again. I also took the training with customer service rep and that unlocked my use of the tool more than if I were to just buy and use without going.Both the reps are the two employees I interface with most and I can't say enough positive things about my experience as a customer and user. They already had the sale, they didn't need to keep helping me but I feel their attitude is for the product to truly help my decision making.

Pros:

Product is easy to use but the absolute BEST feature is the support. I can shoot an email with a question and get a very helpful response in under a day or, even better, I have emailed them my file and had support respond with where my error was. I wish I could give them 6/5 stars in this category.

Cons:

In today's world we are spoiled with things like the iPhone "just working" and there are a few features that require some extra clicks when trying to make changes. Also could have more "flashy" charts/features but I just export the data to excel when needed to make these.

Alternatives Considered: Simio, Visual Components, Arena, Teamcenter and FlexSim

Reasons for Switching to SIMUL8: When our team was evaluating multiple software, Simlu8 was the only one that had their price displayed on their website. There were others slightly cheaper through a quoting system but the Simul8 product in addition to the culture of transparency was plain better. Depending on which we were comparing it against, Simul8 had a better UX and/or better features for what we needed.

Ryan P.
Assistant Analyst in Canada
Oil & Energy, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Logistics Simulations

5 2 years ago

Comments: Positive experience. Technical support has been fantastic, and the software has answered all the needs I have so far.

Pros:

Visual interface is great for observing and validating simulations. Graphics are useful for visualizing what is actually going on. Incorporating of visual logic is great for interfacing with excel, and customizing your own time or event based actions. When you hold mouse over a setting, there is usually a great explanation which is really helpful. It does what I need it to! So I can't complain there. I am still a new user so I have a good deal to learn, but overall, I'm having a positive experience and haven't encountered any issues I couldn't work out with some (excellent) technical support!

Cons:

Could improve variables - it would be nice to be able to declare variables in the visual logic code, instead of having to go into information store and declare before using. Would be nice to have an option to see all visual logic in one place as opposed to broken up and nested in each activity, makes it tricky to monitor when counters are updated, for example. Would also be nice to see some common event based visual logic pre-made, for example, when activity complete, send time of day to a spreadsheet cell, and increment the row for the next completion time. Would like to highlight several activities and change all parameters, such as resource details. It might just be my use case, but a lot of labour goes into updating a batch of settings across multiple activities that could be a global change. An example is for making a resource travel with work item - have to go into details in resources of each and every activity. The default settings add a travel time based on arrow length - I would make that off by default. Graphics interface feels a little buggy when scrolling and zooming - clock jumps around. It appears you have to use the same units across the whole simulation. Clock in hours and others in minutes would be helpful. Granted, I am using an old version of the software, and I am a relatively new user of the software. None of these are dealbreakers for me, just hopefully helps the development team improve or potential users get started.

Ed B.
Sessional Instructor, Consultant, Trainer, Grand Poo-Bah in Canada
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

For the Student version - from U of T

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall very good .... especially for simulation which hasd a rap of beeing complicated and hard to understand.. I can get a class of 30 people from a zero knowledge base, to build, test and run a basic simulation in under 40 minutes. that is fast Student experience is almost always very favourable ... some even find it slightly addictive!

Pros:

Simplicity - visual nature and very Visio like in design and appearance makes it a natural fit with process analysis which for us starts with a Viso Flowchart

Cons:

Use of Inter-arival time at work entry point.. I always find this trips up most people at first .. couldn't we just put another factor such as arrival rate . Secondly adding or deleting lines in results manager is a pain.. I am starting to export to excel more and more

Philippe B.
Managing Partner in Switzerland
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

Powerful and intuitive

5 2 years ago

Comments: I used SIMUL8 mainly in the healthcare sector. I may have done in the last 5 years approximately ten projects, big and small. I also use SIMUL8 with my students to teach operations management. SIMUL8 is powerful because it is fast but also because it is intuitive. This makes the results of a simulation easy to explain to customers that are not familiar with simulation.

Pros:

The pros: The software is intuitive and easy-to-use. It has all the features to simulate complex organizations. I have been using it regularly since 2014. SIMUL8 is constantly being improved and users are involved in setting priorities for new developments. The SIMUL8 team offers excellent support. They have engineers experienced in all types of industries. In the field for which I mainly work (health care), I have always found all the support I needed for my projects. I have tested other simulation software and can confirm that SIMUL8 is powerful, well designed and robust. Its cost (license and maintenance) is very competitive compared to other simulation software.

Cons:

3D animation is not the strength of SIMUL8, but the 3D animation features offered by SIMUL8 are more than enough to test, debug and present the simulation results to customers. 3D animation is not the most important feature of a simulation program. Simulation speed and presentation of results are essential and SIMUL8 is fast and provides results that are easy to manage and interpret.

Ed C.
President in Canada
Executive Office, Self Employed

Useful For Work Flow Planning

5 2 years ago

Comments: I used this product in depth to help consulting clients see and understand their process dynamics. I found this product excellent for that purpose. I found I was able to use video recordings of current and future state simulations to convince people to go forward with particular process improvement plans. I struggled a bit with modeling the process at the right level of detail, but that was a learning curve issue of mine. I would definitely buy this product again for this purpose.

Pros:

Easy to set up models quickly. Capable of modeling detailed nuances if you want it. Cloud-based functionality available.

Cons:

There's a learning curve. (But it's worth it.) Hard to record videos of a simulation run. (I used a third-party program.) Hard to know what level of detail to use.

Anand S.
Operational Research Analyst in UK
Government Relations, 10,000+ Employees

General simul8 review

4 2 years ago

Comments: Generally very useful. The stochastic nature of the runs give us very good representations of the models we are working with; this allows us to inform the stakeholders using valuable analysis.

Pros:

Particularly very easy to use as a starter; having a clear idea of the process is most of the job done because, it is easy to implement- thanks to the user-friendliness of the software.

Cons:

Nothing of note, although slightly frustrating that scroll zooms and ctrl scroll moves the window as opposed to other software where it's the other way round. Maybe there is a setting where I can change that?

Melissa T.
Process Engineer in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Process Improvement

5 2 years ago

Comments: It is great for getting business buy in for a new process change or wanting to buy a new piece of equipment and seeing the long term benefits.

Pros:

It is very user friendly with intuitive build features.

Cons:

Editing spreadsheets is very clunky but copy and pasting from excel can help with the lack of formatting.

Harry N.
Harry N.
Student in UK
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed

Invaluable Customer Service

5 2 years ago

Pros:

I would first like to highlight that this is not a review of Simul8 but is feedback of the immense customer support I recently received. I was recently in contact with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], an employee at Simul8, regarding assistance with a project I am currently undertaking in my final year of my mathematics degree at university. Not only was [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] extremely considerate of my lack of knowledge within Simul8, but his impressive depth of knowledge and thoroughness of his teachings has helped to provide invaluable information and insight into Simul8's diverse and powerful modelling tools. I cannot articulate how magnificent [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was and highly recommend that any queries or troubles one may encounter with Simul8 that you seek [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] support; he is an erudite in Simul8!

Cons:

I have nothing negative to say regarding Simul8.

João umbiruçu C.
Senior Consultant in Brazil
Logistics & Supply Chain, Self Employed

Simul8 - a very good tools to simulation projects

5 3 years ago

Comments: I have been using Simul8 for more than 8 years and have developed the most different projects with it: warehouse, transportation, industries.
"Whatever can be described can be simulated."

Pros:

Price Learning Few computational resources

Cons:

Development of process animation is not very friendly.

Ebert B.
Full Professor in Venezuela
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees

When I think in making decisions, I think in Simul8!

5 3 years ago

Comments: I teach simulation model under Simul8, because it is a very easy way for learning system simulation by using Simul8.

Pros:

I do most like of Simul8 is its easy way for modeling any discrete event dynamic system, what becomes in a powerful tool for making decision based on simulation. I do also like its reports and graphs from output. They are very useful for writing reports.

Cons:

I do least like is to do not get an executable file, which allow one to run the model outside environment Simul8, and so it obtain reports from any programmed experiments.

Managing Director in Turkey
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

Best discrete event simulation software

5 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Excellent

Pros:

Simul8 is an easy to use simulation software and very user firendly. Most features are intuitively used but if you need more detailing in model building then Visual Logic is there to help.

Cons:

I wish to see more on 3D modelling and animating things in the model.

Chris F.
US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Simul8 for Healthcare

5 5 years ago

Comments: I have had great experience with Simul8 at my organization in the healthcare industry. I have used it on multiple occasions for years and have never been disappointed by its capabilities or power. I have had a great experience with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

Pros:

Intuitive, Customer Focused, Report Rich

Cons:

Visuals for reporting could improve

John W.
Lead Mfg Technologies Specialist in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 10,000+ Employees

Flexibility and Ease of Use

5 3 months ago

Comments: Using for process and supply chain modeling and while still much to learn has been a useful learning and communication tool for our team.

Pros:

Intuitive interface. Lot of training and support available. Flexibility in initial model creation and subsequent modification.

Cons:

Needed to learn the terms and concepts of the software and fin things in the menus but with the training and support available it is very possible to find answers quickly.

Daniel P.
Sr. Manager in US
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

SImul8 review from long time user

3 3 years ago

Pros:

Software is very ease to use and very powerfull. I have used it to help provide direction to plant layouts and operational patterns for production. Great tool to use for communication.

Cons:

Software can be a little buggy. Usually this mean that it can hang up or shutdown. However, I have never lost work, it always seems to recover all the details where I left it.

Donald M.
Process Engineer in US
Consumer Goods, 1,001-5,000 Employees

A++ Customer Support & User Functionality!

5 2 years ago

Comments: So far I've had a great experience wiht Simul8. I've recently taken the basic Simul8 training, led by the reps, and I'm eager to use this software on my next project.

Pros:

Simul8 has an ideal user interface for the mordern day. As a moderate simulation user, I was thrilled to notice Simul8 abilitiy to be easy to pick up for a novice user.

Cons:

With work becomning more and more mobile, I'm hoping to see an app or website version in the near future...

Steve H.
Sales Engineering Consultant in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees

Simul8 for eCom fulfillment

4 6 months ago

Comments: I am making heavy use to the VL capability. Most of my Activities have an attached VL routine. I am simulating Robots and Operators in pick aisles using WMS simulated pick lists. Testing Optimization algorithms for efficient Robot travel, Operator travel, and Robot "swarming" to meet Operators at a pick face.

Pros:

Very flexible, fast, user friendly, and intuitive.

Cons:

A little buggy. Crashes several times a week. Memory overflow seems to be the biggest cause. Also, multi Activity changes can cause crashes.

Alternatives Considered: Visual Components

Reasons for Switching to SIMUL8: Functionality and price.

SIMUL8 Response

6 months ago

Thanks for the great review! A member of our team will be in touch so we can look into your valued feedback.