Shopkeep used in Career Tech Programs

Travis W.
Career Technical Technology Specialist
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, I'd definitely recommend Shopkeep. For the price, for the customer service, for its quick implementation and ease of use, you really cannot beat it.

Pros: We implemented Shopkeep within our 4 high school stores, our Cosmetology program's salon, and our Culinary program's restaurant. All have loved Shopkeeps ease of use and learning. The students have picked up on it very quickly. The Back Office has allowed our teachers and students to customize as needed. Overall it's a great product. The restaurant cannot wait for the "tables" option to become officially part of the program. Our district currently does not allow for credit cards, but they are finally considering this and we are looking forward to that and gift cards as well!

Cons: We had some issues with connectivity being a large district with many students on our wifi. We were able to purchase adapters and "hard-line" the iPads. This isn't really a Shopkeep issue though. One issue we've had is once a mistake has been made and the shift is closed, there is no way to "fix" the mistake (students will make these mistakes from time to time). We've also been left with some "hanging" open checks but figured out how to get rid of these by deleting the app and reactivating the register.

Great software for a reasonable price

Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Lonnie F.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I can’t say enough good things about this quality built, easy to use and amazingly dependable system. I haven’t had not one minute of downtime and pairing that with an expert technical support team you can focus your needs on the growth of the business rather than the operations. I will continue to use Shopkeep as long as they will let me.

Pros: Ease of implementation along with ongoing technical support that doesn’t just blow you off when you need them. It’s a very robust system that includes all the features I need most in an easy to use format.

Cons: My only negative comment would be toward the purchase order system that is a bit lacking in functionality and tends to be a bit glitchy.

ShopKeep for Your Little Shop

Reviewed on 11/09/2019
Carrie B.
Shop Manager
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our experience over the last year and a half has been positive. We are satisfied with everything that we are able to do with ShopKeep and look forward to adding features as our business grows. I would recommend this system to other businesses.

Pros: When I was originally shopping for a POS system, I was a new buyer. I have new how to use different system but was never the decision maker. I researched for price, ease of use, payroll capabilities and tech support. ShopKeep ticked all the boxes. It is easy to update when we add new products or change pricing. It is easy to check the time clock and adjust for missed punches. We have had a few occasions to use the customers service and each time were met with excellent service and immediate action to resolve our issues.

Cons: The upgrades are pricey for a small business but I don’t think it is much different than other systems that are available. We are a new, small business and value the bottom line more than the bells and whistles. As our business grows it is nice to know that the capabilities are there to grow with us.

Awesome User Friendly POS system

Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Maria C.
Food & Beverages, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have recommended Shopkeep to everyone I see. I am not sure if it turned int new users but I’m sure my good vibes have trickled down in the community for Shopkeep. My staff also tells customers the POS system that we use and highly recommend it from a users perspective. I started in. September 6 years I believe and no one in Staten Island had a Shopkeep account so I would be interested to see how many accounts there are now and can guarantee some of those are due to the good reviews I give to fellow business owners and customers.

Pros: I Love that I could set up the list of products myself with very little direction or training in the back office. I love that I can see sales remotely using the App on my smart phone. I love the ease of accessing holidays sales from the previous years so that I can better prepare for this years holiday. I love that the staff can learn this after 5 minutes and conduct a sale all by themselves with their first customer.

Cons: I wish that the software was able to be used in my new cafe whereby people sit down in my dining area and have waitress service. I wish they had a table layout program to facilitate this need I have in my newest business.

Overall FANTASTIC!!

Reviewed on 29/06/2019
Kelly B.
Retail, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I absolutely love the system! The customer service is above anything I could ask for! EVERY time I call, each representative knows exactly what I am talking about, and has an answer for me! Quality!!

Pros: I handle many herbs that are weighed by the ounce. SK lets me set a price by the ounce, that it calculates when I right up the sale. I love this!
I love the connection to QuickBooks and Mailchimp. I do not have a website yet, but will love when I do, that it can be linked as well!

Cons: A few things I would LOVE to see implemented are:
1. A linked-in mobile device (not the $300 one you currently offer that doesn't connect to SK). One that is actually linked into the inventory, and can be used when I have booth events outside of my hard location, during it's business hours.
2. In the items with variations, PLEASE let me move around the variations! I add new variations frequently (as I get new things in), and it would make it so simple if I could alphabetize them as I go. They are all just as I've added them now (out of order!). Also with the tabs, can I please be able to edit the names of the variations as well? Once you've entered the name of the variation, you can't edit the it at all right now.

Best out there

Jody D.
Director of Support Services
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We do have an IT department that manages most aspects of shopkeep, including maintaining products, iPad layouts, hardware, networking and reports, so we're fortunate in that respect, but in the few instances that we've contacted ShopKeep for help, they have been very responsive and proactive in getting us up-and-running quickly.

Pros: Shopkeep is really easy to use and set up - there is optional customizability and granularity that allows a company to operate as complex a retail or food service business as any small or medium business would want, yet it is scalable to a small business with less complexity too. We are a small, rural hospital with an outstanding Cafe (some people come to the hospital just for the food, and it is considered one of the best places to eat in our community). We use Shopkeep to run the Cafe for employees (who can swipe their ID badge to do a payroll-deduct for their meals), and visitors. In addition, we have a mobile register (iPad) that our dietary staff uses to visit patients on our inpatient wing at meal times to take patient food orders as well. Our patients LOVE this!

Cons: We have been very pleased with the product, and have been using it for over 5 years. The issues we've had are related to the hardware (iPads) and the payment terminal hardware. Even so, these issues have been exceedingly infrequent.

Great Product

Alaina G.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have loved this system since I got it at the beginning of 2019. The customer service is AWESOME. The credit card rates are great. Great reporting tools and the app is so handy.

Pros: The price and features were exactly what I was looking for. The credit card rates are unbeatable.

Cons: There are a few things in the inventory management area that I would change to take less “steps” to accomplish certain tasks but all in all it has all of the features I need to manage my inventory.

Very positive experience

Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Jessica S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been very pleased with shopkeep, the initial price was high considering I was upgrading from a traditional register and needed to add an up to date I pad, bar code reader and other features to optimize and get the most out of the software. I have recommended shopkeep to many people and had received a referral bonus, score! Customer service has always been very knowledgable and down to earth and I have felt with past interactions that I am speaking with someone who takes my concerns seriously and is not just going through the motions. The back office has more features than I need for my small business but I am glad they are available. Retrieving data about past purchases, inventory or customers is simple if needed. Because of shopkeep I was able to begin selling products online to grow my business.

Pros: Platform that looks simple and is approachable when teaching new employees how to use the register. Favorite part is how clear and organized the shopkeep register app looks.

Cons: I sometimes experience connectivity issues, and wish there was a way to print bar code stickers without having to log into my back office allowing customers the ability to print and modify item codes.

Ease of Use Front End and Back End

James J.
Owner Operator
Hospitality, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Over all I am very happy with Shopkeep. We have 3 registers in a diverse small resort business with a Restaurant, Gas Station, C Store, Bar, Package Liquor, Lodge, Campground etc... We are able to adapt the system to work in all areas by setting up different pages for different areas of the business or used in combination as the transaction categories are available on all 3 registers whether being used at the bar, in the restaurant or at the lodge & c store. Customer Service has been great. Set up was done by myself which says just about anyone can do it.

Pros: Easy Set Up and functionality. Training employees on system is relatively simple and repetition is all it takes after the initial introduction. Changes to item/ menu in the back office are drag & drop which makes an easy quick process to adapting to changing environments. The equipment integration is great. I can do work and/or monitor the system from remote locations in the back office if I happen to be away from the property. Credit card processing/ tracking and reports are easy to work with. Report resources are almost endless and you can pretty much find what you need in the reports availabe.

Cons: I do not like the Discarded Item feature. It opens up to theft of items or cash payment of items set at zero default price with price on modifiers and does not track the Items themselves. There is no manager permission option for discarded items or at the very least an explanation/ reason code option. I would rather have it set up like the
Void Option or not exist. Tracking the Item and the item price and/or modifier price with reason codes and manager permission options would be great for the discarded item feature. It would be nice to have a few more payment options such as ATM (currently use Pay Out and note ATM then ring the transaction with the cash) The ability to over tender a check for tipping would be a great feature. We still have a few patrons who write checks.

Rescued us from a POS of perpetual problems

Reviewed on 10/01/2017
Christopher B.
Operations Manager
Food & Beverages, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: When we first transitioned from a legacy POS to an iPad-based POS, we'd gone with another product that seemed perfect. Unfortunately, that product was like buying a house and discovering a day in and day out that it was full of mold, had cracks in the foundation and other structural problems, and the repair people tasked with helping you seemed trained to make things worse. It required constant attention in order to ensure very basic functionality, crashed constantly, caused massive headaches with credit card processing, and everyone from our account rep to her bosses to "tech support" was so clueless, one could write a sitcom with the stories. We shopped around for our replacement, making sure to ask all the questions and investigate to the best of our abilities so as not to end up in the same place. We found ShopKeep and could not be more pleased with the results. I cannot overstate how completely opposite every interaction with ShopKeep has been compared with the competitor we replaced. Every question has been answered satisfactorily, every issue dealt with (and not forgotten by an overwhelmed support crew), and every guarantee upheld. Even better, the application itself functions as advertised, so we are not spending actual hours of our time making something work; it just works. We don't experience crashing, lost data, unsolvable credit card processing nightmares, and the rare calls to tech support are quick and painless. There may not be as many back-end bells and whistles in terms of reporting and inventory, but these are always in development, and I feel comfortable saying that when these new elements are introduced they will function as described. The app is clean, intuitive to learn, easy to use, and the resources made available, detailed online instructions, videos, etc. combined with helpful, engaged, communicative staff at all levels have made ShopKeep a hero to us. If I ever notice ShopKeep being used at another business, I always make a point to ask about it and find the same enthusiastic appreciation I'm trying to convey here. (Whereas I do the same with the competitor we ditched, and always see their eyes glaze over.) I highly recommend ShopKeep and know that users will be as satisfied as we are to have found them.

Pros: Clean design, easy & intuitive to learn, very stable i.e. does not crash, connectivity has never been an issue, back-office works well in its current format. Tech support always available, helpful, and willing to go the extra step to help when they do not immediately have the answer. Simplicity, meaning one is not overwhelmed with more features than one could use (and which could be rendered pointless if overall stability is a challenge). Fairly flexible layout for the iPad menus. Very straightforward to set-up, and the online resources are comprehensive. I taught myself everything in an afternoon, and staff all took to it quite easily. I have not had to spend hours and hours trying to establish functionality with a line of customers staring at me.

Cons: BackOffice reporting could be a little more comprehensive and with more user control in terms of personalization. Bulk editing and management of inventory/stock items is nice, but individual item edits can be time-consuming if one is only working on 5 items (vs. 50).

Fantastic Retail Point of Sale System

Reviewed on 09/01/2017
Dan P.
CTO
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Shopkeep has been an incredible system for us. We've been using it for just over two years now and are extremely satisfied. For the price, you will not find a better system anywhere, and trust me, I've done the research. The cashier end of the system is very intuitive and easy to learn. Teaching my new staff how to use it is a breeze. Customizing the screens makes it easy to sort products by page and button color. The back end of the system is just as easy to use. The built-in analytics can quickly bring up a great overview of how your business is doing. Inventory management is fantastic and very easy to manage. Importing and exporting inventory, customers, sales, etc... is all effortless and great for analyzing data outside of Shopkeep. The App and web-based back office are constantly being updated and improved. Support staff are very friendly and knowledgeable and have always been great at providing us solutions. For anyone who is looking for a great system for a small retail business that is cost efficient, has great customer support, and is easy to use, look no further... This is the system for you. The only cons to this system is that you can't manage or transfer inventory between stores in the same back office. You will have to switch between stores and manually add/subtract inventory for each store. Another great feature missing is a separation of stock between the storefront and a storage area. These are features probably better suited to a larger retailer who would need a more capable system but features Shopkeep should consider in their development. Overall we are very pleased with the system. You can't go wrong!

Pros: Ease of Use. This is some of the most intuitive software I've ever used. It literally took me a couple of hours to learn the system inside and out and my staff is able to count on me for answers any time and I have no problem providing them quick solutions.

Cons: I would really like to see a way that we could consolidate store management into a single back office so that we could transfer stock quickly and easily between stores. Also, if there was a way to have a back stock/storefront separation for inventory, it would save us an insane amount of time with our inventory management control.

Shopkeep helped my entire biz

Reviewed on 02/07/2019
Ric R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Getting rid of the old big register was a plus. Being able to research sales and transactions. The entire OPOS system is great. I track sales on my phone and home computer. Sometimes it's glitchy and crashes. especially after updates but the customer service team is pretty amazing! High Marks for customer service.

Pros: It's our first POS system so it's basically changed the way we do everything for the better. Sorry I can't compare to other systems. But we love being able to check sales and transactions and other info from our phones, etc. Other plus is time clock & payroll hours. All kinds of greatness in this app.

Cons: I wish there was an easy way to see how many of an item I've sold over a selected period of time. Wish there was a way to sync up with my online store sales and share inventory and track inventory/delete inventory when an online sale takes place. Right now it only deletes inventory when a sale in the actual shop takes place.

Puts Square to shame

Reviewed on 28/06/2019
Angie F.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Anytime I have had any issue or problem, customer service has been the best in helping me work threw it (computer illiterate remember) plus they always have options for me to make changes that potentially make it easier on my end, or sometimes even cheaper.

Pros: I like the fact that it is a lot more detailed in the inventory set up because it allows you to actually separate you retail store into sections where square did not allowing check out to be easier and faster if you are having issues with or do not use UPC/SCU coding. I also like the fact that you can enter your inventory purchases which automatically adds it to your inventory counts and then you can enter your payout/paying for such accounts

Cons: The inventory entry durning initial setup. Because I am computer illiterate, I am still struggling to get it set up correctly and you do not have the option to go in and erase everything to start over.

Shopkeep for Small Business

Reviewed on 20/08/2019
Michael M.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The ShopKeep program is easy to use on an iPad. It is useful in a retail store but with small inventory.

Cons: The interface to set up inventory is time consuming if individual items are not added via a file upload. Even when set up, multiple screens are required to set up brands, sizes, and flavors. Need to use a scanner for easy, fast, and effective pos checkouts.

Shopkeep continues to Impress...

Reviewed on 01/03/2019
Julie T.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Shopkeep is my overall solution for register transactions and my merchant account. I have been extremely satisfied with the overall look, performance, easy of maintaining inventory, reporting and the very competitive merchant services I am receiving. Updates to the system functionality are continually being delivered and provided in the What's New tab... I'm finding treasures there for things I didn't realize I would need, but have made my life so much easier. Check quantity of inventory at the register, bar code scanning for returns was a big one, and I really like the ability to print bar code labels for the quantity needed right from the back office. Overall, I feel I have partnered with the right provider who is progressive in continually developing and delivering the best software solution to their customers, which is the same model I have adapted to continually provide fresh new products for my customers. Thanks, Shopkeep, keep up the great work!

Pros: I am a retail store and was looking for a register solution which was affordable, scalable, and flexible for my type of business. The overall aspect of this software solution by Shopkeep which I am really impressed; they continue to improve and update the features and functionality. I have really enjoyed the new returns option to tender back to a gift card and the flexibility to add items and variants in the back office quickly and send to the register.

Cons: The only challenged experienced when I started the service was around the delivery of my equipment. The order got a bit stuck in the system and some of the equipment did not arrive on time. Customer Service was extremely helpful, and continued to follow-up with me until resolved. Making a difficult situation easier to get through.

3 years into my account and here's what I noticed

Reviewed on 02/03/2019
Zach G.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, our experience with ShopKeep has helped us grow to almost 3 times the size. I appreciate all the customer service and issue reporting help we've gotten throughout the years. I also like that I have a monthly fee and no extra charges or increases in subscription. This allows me to easily budget and continue to grow my business. Employees have told me the system is very easy to learn (over top corporations systems) and are pleased with the ease of use.

Pros: I enjoy the additional features and updates frequently. I also enjoy the level of experienced programers you have, especially when I'm able to get text message updates. Thumbs up! Also, the inventory system is becoming more and more detailed... which is something we need as a growing company. I enjoy controlling what is on screen directly from our back end.

Cons: My biggest let down is the chip reading hardware. I purchased one that remains unusable for us. Integrations for programs such as appcard should be interlinked within shopkeep software. Also, I like that you're working on the employee side of things, such as hourly tracking etc. It would be helpful to also add a payments system for paychecks. Using another software for this has added an extra hurdle for us. It would be nice to have an all inclusive software/hardware partner for our growing business. Thanks for reviewing!

i'm into it

Jason V.
Design, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: it's been great. purchasing and installing it was easy and hassle free. so.....

Pros: shopkeep works very very well for us we are a full service floral/design and retail store. We had switched after the first year of using another pos system that was absolutely horrible so shopkeep is a breathe of fresh air. It's easy. It's easy to use. to change things in the back office. easy to get help from customer service if i need it. It's easy for my accounting dept to integrate and access all the info and reports that they need on the daily. I really don't have any complaints. I've talked to some bigger companies within the same industry so I know that shopkeep will be able to grow with us for sure.

Cons: don't really have any. it does everything that we need it to do.

Best Decision We Made

Matt S.
Farming, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It has been a great experience. From startup, how easy it is to use and train new employees on to tech support

Pros: Everything. The ease of use and how it never lets us down. If we do have issues, Shopkeep is very quick and responsive to getting us back up and running

Cons: Could use a few more options on the back office

Overall good tool

Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Ralph F.
Restaurants, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Useful data collection used to control and improve many aspects of the business.

Pros: The back office interface and functionality.

Cons: Initial problems with cash drawer interface.

Great program

Genia V.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: As our first leap into an Ipad based point of sale, I have been pleased. There are always learning curves and we seem to get them solved every time.

Pros: I like how user friendly the software is as well as affordable it is to set up! The technical support is so easy to use and is always quick to respond!

Cons: We honestly have had some connectivity issues and Shopkeep has always been there trying to help. There are some features I would like to see like bigger print on the tags and the option to do a partial return. I would also like to be able to send an email receipt after the sale has been completed. A current running inventory by department or supplier would be helpful as well.

A great product for business

Anthony D.
Tobacco, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, we enjoy using Shopkeep

Pros: The ease of using the software. Very simple to train on and very self explanatory

Cons: Glitches of logging the user out randomly

ShopKeep Review

Melissa B.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Everything is good except no reaponse on programming concerns like inventory.

Pros: Ease of use , cost friendliness, integration with my payment processor

Cons: INVENTORY!!!! It should not be as compli Ted as it is to receive product also no way to perform inventory.

Shopkeep Review

Judith B.
Textiles, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Huge time savings for me regarding tracking inventory. Plus my data is much more accurate.

Pros: Love-
Inventory tracking system
Ease of using the POS
Ease of obtaining reports

Cons: The system relies to heavily on making bulk changes using spread sheets. While this is great when loading bulk items, it is great when you just need to change counts that only effect 20 items out of 2000.
Also, my business involves fractions of a whole unit being sold and I often have to go into item to obtain the cost of the good and then go into adjust to change the amount on hand if I'm only reducing by a fraction

Great system for most any business..

Brian M.
Partner
Wine & Spirits, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very easy to set up and seamless system support is key. The integrated Merchant services is also a plus..One stop support..no more finger pointing!

Pros: The ability to manage inventory, the sales and item level reporting, the management reports, and the ability to track my business through a phone app off premise.

Cons: Not mush to dislike..I would like to tweak a couple of reports and inventory and cycle count adjustment tracking (sorting) but all in all very happy with the system overall.

On it's way

Reviewed on 13/08/2016
Bobbie H.
Restaurants
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: When Shopkeep is running and everything is syncing it's wonderful. Easy to use, easy to train staff to use, the credit card signing page has increased tipping by 30%, reporting is fun to see without extra data entry.

Cons: When Shopkeep isn't running and syncing time moves so slowly. Resetting the credit card machine over and over during a busy time is awful. Resetting the ticket printers then updating the ipads when we are busy is miserable. Having them just not re set and paying more to manually enter credit card numbers sucks. Having the printers just not reset and having to go back to hand writing and running tickets to the kitchen is the worst. When the ipads don't sync so we can't pull checks at the register for customers who didn't order at the register and well that really sucks. A lot. Troubleshooting with customer service on this last issue was pretty bad. They would go back to the beginning and tell me to restart the ipads as if I wouldn't have tried that considering we experience them not syncing at least every other day. I have had to get a new router and faster internet to try and solve it. We still experience the ipads not syncing at least every other day even with the expensive upgrades. And lastly reading the summary report to understand what amount of cash you are intended to deposit daily is very confusing. I was told different things by different reps and this led to a daily error we had to go back and fix weeks after we discovered it. Is cash total with your initial drawer amount or not and why doesn't it automatically subtract cash Pay Outs or does it in fact do that? Well we figured it out finally it does not include your starting cash but does include not exclude your Pay Outs. Seems dumb for such a smart system. But worse seems dumb customer service gave different information on different days.