HoudiniESQ Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About HoudiniESQ

Integrates with LawPay, Word, Excel, Outlook, Evernote, QuickBooks, Acrobat, Calendar/Court Rules, WordPerfect & Google.

Learn more about HoudiniESQ

Scott P.
Tort Litigation
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2015

"The best there is but not for the entry level user"

Comments: Cons: HoudiniEsq has learning curve. This is not a terrible thing when all things are considered. The product is feature rich. It does a lot of things and does them very well but getting setup does take time. Since every organization has its own way of doing things it would be difficult to have a system that is customized to a particular preference out of the box. I think if there was a way to add custom fields or change labels directly on the forms instead of a admin panel it would really make the setup more intuitive. Pros: HoudiniEsq really shines when it comes to collecting data. You can customize the product. Fields can be added to Matters, Contacts and Events. You can have fields placed by the record's type, subtype and or status code. Fields only appear if they apply. This unclutters the screens. I love the fact that we can place fields based on a status code. As a case moves from one phase to another, new fields appear and the others are hidden. A huge benefit is the ability to create custom forms. Forms are child records of a matter. This enables us to collect a lot of very specific but repetitive information like injuries for each party without having to see hundreds of fields on screen. Each form neatly collects and displays this information. It deserves a mention that you can change practically any label in the system as well. Another area we are very pleased with is the ability to create templates that will merge data including custom fields. We can generate one document or several in a single shot. We like the ability to use these templates with the workflow automation feature to generate supporting docs automatically. The workflow automation feature isn't limited to docs. You can calendar events, send email, reminders and notifications. HoudiniEsq is worth a serious look. I would not suggest this product to a Solo although according to the HoudiniEsq LinkedIn group solos are very happy with it. HoudiniEsq isn't an entry level product like My Case or Clio. Simplicity isn't its mainstay it is the ability to handle the complex that sets it apart. If you wouldn't use Pro Law then you probably shouldn't consider HoudiniEsq. I'm not saying Solos should stay away, the solos who do use HoudiniEsq seem to be the enterprising upstarts who are growing their businesses quickly. Currently not for Solos, a con only if you need an entry level product. I give HoudiniEsq 5 stars overall because it really can do remarkable things.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2015
Sarah S.

"Money Maximizer"

Comments: pros:
Integrates with so many different programs
easy to navigate and user-friendly
Very easy to customize and add specific categories, types, color customize a calendar, etc.
Runs in the background - keep it open all day long w/o slowing down computer and other programs
Creating and sending invoices is incredibly simple.
Trust Account, Billables, and Accounts Receivable is always available so it's easy to keep track of money.
Individual client ledgers makes accounting for each client's expenses, fees, payments, and trust easy to track and very clear and understandable.
Keeps everything up to date daily, instead of just at end of month.
Ability to link to matters from integrated programs allows maximum billing and the process is quick and painless
Support is great - can read articles and topics on any issue related to the program and telephone support is great.
cons:
Requires patience at first until you understand how the program thinks and operates.
Every now and then there is some small glitch that requires me to visit the support page or make a phone call.
Have had to install approx. 2 updates in past year - I guess it's a good thing they update the product, but taking the time to install the update is somewhat annoying.
Overall:
Great product that includes everything you'd need to manage your practice, all in one place. Can create memos while on phone, while the timer is on - takes the burden out of billing time because you're using it throughout the day as you work. Has increased income through ability to "capture" time by linking events, e-mails, documents to matters. For me, it somewhat takes away the panic at the end of the day I used to feel when trying to recall and write down everything I'd done that day. Now, it is all recorded for me as I work throughout the day and contributes hugely to overall organization.

Lauren M.
Law Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2017

"Adequate but not amazing"

Comments: It just isn't as "clean" as some other programs that I've used. Again, it serves it's purpose but it's nothing to write home about.

Pros: Inexpensive cloud option. Minimal technical skill required. Good integration with Outlook, though the plugins often had issues.

Cons: Difficult user interface, it seems disorganized and not very intuitive. It's difficult to switch from one area of a file to another area (ie documents to billing and back to contacts). The web URL is complicated so if you don't have it bookmarked you're screwed.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2017
Paul F.
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"It has been a revolution in organising my workflow and easily producing itemised invoices."

Pros: The degree of customisation that can be applied. it is designed for US based lawyers but i work in the UK in the specialised area of commecial rent review dispute resolution. I was able to customise the software to cater for my specialist needs and to generate invoices in UK pounds.

Cons: Bespoke customisation is time consuming, but once it is done, it's done. Once you have a basic framework set up, adding categories is very easy.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Gennet M.
Bookkeeper/Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2017

"Great Program."

Comments: The is used to maintain time spent on matters and printing invoices.

Pros: Very user friendly. Dashboard is easy accessed and filled with information at a glance. Time entry is easy as well as client/matter setup.

Cons: Some reports are still not correct. Technical support not always helpful. Accounts Receivable Aging report is a mess. Most of the time I cannot use this report. Program does not calculate interest charge on outstanding balances.

• Reviewed on 16/11/2017
Karla O.
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2017

"Very good overall experience."

Pros: The software is very reliable and fairly easy to learn. Video tutorials are very helpful. Customer service is excellent! Calls made to customer service are either answered right away or returned timely.

Cons: Our firm has had issues with searching. Would like to see cases in a "list" format, with more than 50 showing at once. Also, we have had an issue with printing an invoice from inside the "Matter". If the "print" is not chosen quick enough the program will print another matter's invoice. Note, these issues may just be settings and not a true problem with the software.

Stephen B.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"A good program that just hasn't kept up with the time"

Comments: I used HoudiniEsq for about five months when I first opened my firm, and my experiences with it were a little mixed. The program itself is extremely powerful and has many features which can be used to automate a lot of billing and correspondence tasks... but only if you can figure out how to use them. Take billing, for example. Some of my clients are the typical "charge an up-front retainer, then bill by the hour" clients, and the billing settings were easily adapted to that use and would produce nice invocies relatively easily. However, a large portion of my clients are billed a flat-fee for my services, but I would still like to provide them with an itemized bill showing the hours I worked on their case. After days of experimenting, trying to make sense of the Houdini support documents, and just generally pulling my hair out I gave up. I couldn't make it work. Houdini does definitely excel in providing you with every option and feature under the sun. In my months working with it, I never came across a major feature which a competitor offered but Houdini didn't. But again, those features require you to learn how to use them. The user interface is, to put it kindly, dated and not very intuitive. The user experience, then, is more about learning Houdini's quirks of placement decisions and icon choice and adapting your use to it. Even after five months of use I still hadn't taught myself Houdini's interface well enough to really describe myself as "comfortable" with it. But then there's the feature that drew me in to begin with: The cost. For solo firms, Houdini is free of charge. Some people will warn you that you get what you pay for, but with Houdini that's not really true. You do, in fact, get a very full featured very powerful practice management suite for no cost at all to you. But you also get to adapt your working habits to its interface and workflow style, because it will not adapt to you. I consider myself quite computer savvy, I set up my own phone system for my office, but I still had a heck of a time figuring out how to make Houdini do some of what I knew it could do. So if you're a solo who's attracted by the price, but who doesn't have a lot of time to learn the quirks of the program, then you may be better off picking again. In the end, my final verdict on it is this: Houdini was, once, on-par with the other practice management options; but Houdini has failed to keep up with the times, and it shows in many ways.

Angela S.
Attroney
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2015

"Great product, very good service"

Comments: I have used HoudiniEsq for over 2 years now in my office. It was recommended to us when we were looking for a cloud solution, we chose it because it offered all the features we needed at the time, and there was no contract so we could cancel at any time if it didn't work out. Pros:
It was easy to learn and navigate the system, I especially like the multiple workspace and window features so I can perform multiple tasks at the same time.
Integration with office is very good. All my email are now neatly organized by matter, time entries are auto recorded with emails and documents. All matter information are centrally located, search works really well, very easy to find what I am looking for. Knowledge base is very useful, hardly ever need to call the support staff. But the few times I did call, it was a very pleasant experience. Document automation is a huge plus for us. No more copy and paste, it literally saves us at least one day a month on repetitive work. Cloud version works great, have not experienced any down time. Cons:
We used some of the advanced features in the last year and it took us sometime to figure it out, but we had it working the way we wanted with the help from the support.
Overall, it's a great product. It's much better than other user-friendly and simpler alternatives out there, especially after you learn how it works and can customize it so it works the way you want it to.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2015
Jeffrey M.
partner
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2017

"generally acceptable but some report and bill features are not user friendly"

Comments: Mostly time entries and reporting; we use a separate billing system.

Pros: The calendar shows work items at a glance which is convenient. You can change the time span of each item by moving the starting time or ending time of that item.

Cons: difficult to generate matter reports showing excel work narratives with time costs; this is important as we need to report to client regularly without billing. The matter number sometimes leaps and has to be manually adjusted each new matter is opened.

by LOGICBit on 28/12/2017

Thank you for your review Jeffrey.

Re: Matter Numbers jumping. Matter identifiers are customizable under the App settings matter tab. It is odd that you see matter numbers jumping. Technically this would be impossible so we would like to schedule a tech call so we can view your instance while you create a new matter to see what you are seeing.

Matter numbers are assigned once and can not be reused. IF a matter is created then deleted or started and not completed the index is used and the next index is assigned since mater id MUST be kept unique.

Please give us a call toll free. We would love to speak with you about what you are experiencing.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2017
Ricci G.
PARALEGAL
  • Reviewed on 03/11/2017

"Somewhat user friendly, but can be customized with help from support. Has potential to be great"

Comments: Cloud based, easy to use out of the office.

Pros: Templates are easy to use. The fact that it is cloud-based is excellent; relatively easy learning curve.

Cons: Email feature saves all image files from email, rendering this feature unusable. Keyword search feature in Documents does not function correctly, only partially works. Interface is not the most user friendly and requires knowledge of ins and outs of Houdini which must be obtained from customer support. Developers will not fix the above issues or do not know how. To have a feature of a program only partially work is subpar. Also, the invoicing feature defies commons sense.

by LOGICBit on 06/11/2017

Ricci, if you are using version 2.0.0.1 or greater then you should be able to search for anything across all data. That being said, we will look at your firm's logs and get to the bottom of the issue. We will at the very least rebuild your document indexes for you tonight when everyone is logged off. In the meantime, when searching documents you want to use natural language. Since everything is indexed Full words work best when you search because ESQ returns everything on server side but we only return the top 50 hits to the user to reduce bandwidth and increase response times.

Re: Email, we do save every attachment to a email especially when you link that email to a Matter. Not having a image in a email as it was originally sent makes the email incomplete so we save and store everything. That being said we are capable of providing whatever you wish we just ned to know exactly what you expect and we can make it so. Just give us a ring. We would love to fix for you.

• Reviewed on 03/11/2017
Rex T.
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2015

"Great features, hard to use, can grow into something great"

Comments: I have used HoudiniEsq for a year. I love the features that this software provides. However, there are a number of bugs and glitches. For example, some of the reporting screens don't translate correctly from the actual accounts receivables or balance due on when creating two invoices for a matter. Additionally, a number of the features take more time to use then doing the task the long way. For example, when linking matter information to a word document, it takes more time fixing the spacing issues and bugs then it is to just type in the name and address yourself. Sometimes, the names don't have a space in between them, sometimes the first name doesn't show up etc. I think now that HoudiniEsq has a good setup, they should work on simplifying the program and work out the kinks in the many features.

by LOGICBit on 20/01/2015

Rex, thank you for your review.

There is only one accounts receivable report which is a direct reflection of the invoiced amounts. If this report is wrong then your invoices would be as well. The estimate on the matter dashboard is probably what you are referring to. This should not be used to tie back to the actual receivable report because this figure takes everything into account, including items you may not bill. We removed this figure form the dashboard a while back because users weren't reading the tooltip but received so may request to put it back so we did. This figure is only a running estimate, not your actual receivables figure. Use the Client statements or Receivables report for the correct figures.

Rex it appears that you are using the old template format. In order to have the best output you must convert your templates to the new ODT format.

• Reviewed on 19/01/2015
Michael H.
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2017

"Better than some. I still prefer Credenza Software, not supported anymore."

Comments: streamlined billing and case management.

Pros: I like the integration into outlook. I also like the fact that documents are automatically spooled into the case mapping.

Cons: I don't like having to individually select events and make them billable. I'd rather be able to mass associate that. Also, I don't like that events calendar on my google calendar after the fact. I would rather they work internally on the software.

Anthony D.
Anthony D.

"And I am a free user"

Comments: I have used others, most recently Amicus Attorney, and Houdini is a better product in almost every way. They also have a fairly extensive knowledge base, which is a great source for ideas and learning the program in general. Busy day, phones ringing, I am not sure what I did, but I completely chuffed my installation. In desperation I called for help. (1) I am still a free user, no staff. (2) I was making changes without a good back up, even though they warned me. (3) I had a trial, so not a lot of time to wait around. I sent an email, they called back (a couple of times) and they spent literally a couple of hours saving me from myself. Not so many companies will go the extra mile to save one from themselves especially after having failed to heed their explicit warnings. Thanks again!

Ben G.
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2011

"A fantastic product ***** 5 Stars"

Comments: The product is simply amazing. I often forget that I'm using a web browser. The product has rich easy to use features and the support is top notch. The product acts and feels like a desktop application. HoudiniESQ seamlessly integrates with Microsoft Office an Quickbooks. It supports calendaring, email management, document management, contact management, document assembly, email and document merges and template creation. Trust accounting, billing and invoicing. I can't list all the features. It does what 30K legal practice managements systems at a fraction of the cost.

Pros: Everything!

Cons: The Outlook plugin supports email, contacts and the calendar but there is no way presently to create email templates in OUtlook. You must use the Houdini interface to create your email templates.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2011
Mike F.
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2015

"Perfect for solos"

Comments: Houdini is a feature rich product that cannot be beat for the solo practitioner. It has all the bells and whistles you could want, with extensive customization possibilities. Moreover, the price is perfect: free. Although the learning curve might be steeper than you wish if you are not going to use all of its features, it will be well worth it for whatever features you wish. I am still learning new things after two months of use. Even if you are a Mac user, the software is easy to use and highly functional because it uses your web browser to run. It has a few issues, but they seem so far to be quite minor. Updates seem to come out quite regularly as well.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2015
Joanne L.
Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Houdini is a Great Product!"

Comments: Houdini has been a great product that provide our firm with a consolidated client database, practice management database, and time and billing software all wrapped up in one program, with the added bonus of being Cloud based. I am so glad we chose this software for our firm's practice. It by far surpasses the prior multiple software programs we used at our old law firm!

George O.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Comprehensive Yet Easy to Use"

Comments: Houdini Esq is a comprehensive package with an interface that is extremely easy to adapt to because of its intuitive interface. It did not require very much time to set it up and the program includes every feature that we required. I would strongly recommend Houdini Esq!

Börkur J.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Great for single user + free"

Comments: So I've been using this for over a year. During which I've had over 100 cases neatly organized within Houdini. The interface looks abit aged compared to some other heavyweights in the industry but for a one-man-practice you just can't beat the price for a local setup.

Vivian D.
LA
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2015

"This very good"

Comments: This product is very good. It saves us a lot of time searching for our hard drives for files and emails. The support has been really good. We only wish our english was better. I give this product 5 stars because it is really good. Vivian Deng

• Reviewed on 12/02/2015
Brian H.

"Well done"

Comments: Pros - easy to use and free for local use. Cons - could be more visually appealing and some things are not placed intuitively. Overall, I have not found a program that I would switch to based on my needs as a sole practitioner.

Stanice J.
CEO and Principal Attorney
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"A Solo Practice Must Have!"

Comments: I've used Houdini in my solo practice, and it works wonders to streamline my contacts, workforce and office organization. I can view clients and all related matters, generate invoices, and send correspondence all from one interface.

Jonathan M.

"OK, I guess."

Comments: I hate practice management software. I tried the free version of HoudiniESQ because it was free and because as a solo practitioner I thought I should tried to use some kind of program to organize my practice. I cannot compare HoudiniESQ to any similar software, all of which seem clunky, relatively inflexible, and way too detailed. I dunno, maybe in the future I will change my mind and give it another go. In any event I do appreciate having the opportunity to use the software for free. Maybe a cloud version would be friendlier to use??

Kristin B.
Attorney/Owner

"review of Houdini"

Comments: this product has streamlined my law office cutting down useless time of searching my computer for documents needed for each case. It was a bit difficult to change my daily habits at first but it is a breeze to use.

Chris B.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"No better free software!"

Comments: I utilized the free single user license. As free software, HoudiniESQ can't be beat. It was tricky to get set up on my machine, but once I got it installed the software worked fine.

Dominic I.
Partner

"Houdini review"

Comments: Easy to use. Low learning curve. The only issue I had was that the original license I requested was never sent. I had to request a second time before receiving it.