Vector graphics for everybody

Panagiotis K.
Founder & Managing Director
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: As the leader of a small-to-medium-enterprise and an educator in sound for media, many times I have the need to create simple graphics. From schematics and diagrams to icons and beyond. I use them for my company's internal knowledge-base, when I blog, for my presentations in classrooms, and even to create our own software graphical assets from mockups to finished product. First of all, it's no secret that working in vector is what every software developer should do, as it allows for the generation of all the graphic assets to be made in various bitmap resolutions, so your application looks clear and crisp in any device. Lately, even the Unity game engine introduced a pipeline to use vector graphic assets to create games, so that they render in any resolution, I definitely recommend checking this out if you are a game developer.
Anyway, Affinity Designer always delivered a great experience for me and all my colleagues said that I became a graphic designer, which is not true, but it is a great compliment, and I really own that to Affinity Designer.
The exporter feature is one huge time saver, you should check out the videos they have about this one and also the rest of Affinity team's video tutorials in Vimeo.
Overall, the experience of using the application can be described as smooth, fast and easy.

Pros: What I liked most about this program, is the workflow and interface. The developers managed to create a simple to use application for vector graphics, that everybody can operate. I can't remember how many times I got frustrated trying to make a simple graphic in other programs, while in Affinity Designer, the workflow is mapped so well, that everybody can use it. From computer graphics professionals around the world, to amateurs like me, it is straight forward to open the application and start creating. The online help system is awesome and omni-present and the graphical interface is sleek and looks good in any monitor that I tried it, even small ones. I also consider a great bonus that the company keeps a straight policy about pricing, they don't use the subscription model which is very good for SMEs.

Cons: Some advanced vector tools are missing, but the software is still young and I'm sure it will develop to a great tool. After all, the developers seem to have usability, ease of use and fast workflows in mind, so they add new features very carefully, to keep Affinity Designer the great tool that it is now.

It's not Illustrator, but it'll do

Reviewed on 23/08/2019
Connor D.
E-Learning, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It gets the job done. That's probably the best thing I can say about it. It gets the job done, but I trudge through every moment of the job.

Pros: It's surprisingly fully-featured for the price. Once you know what you're doing, it can accomplish just about any task you'd use Illustrator (the industry standard) for.

Cons: The workflows are just ... Annoying. Maybe it's because I'm coming from Illustrator, where everything feels effortless, but it feels like every aspect of Affinity Designer was made unnecessarily complicated. Using the program makes me want to pull my hair out, because I know how much quicker and easier and just ... More "common sense" the process would be in Illustrator. Also, and this is a big one: Most stock vector files are completely useless in Affinity Designer. If there's any degree of complexity (meaning more than one shape), it's going to be an absolute disaster to work with in Designer.

Excellent graphics design tool, Illustrator alternative!

Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Absolute pleasure! I couldn't afford the Adobe package but now I have Affinity Designer and Photo and it more than meets all my needs for website graphics and photo editing and design.

Pros: So much cheaper than Illustrator / Photoshop and packs all the features I need. Easy to use, easy to learn. Many tutorials from Affinity as well as other skilled users. Use it for simple projects or very in-depth. Replace expensive and subscription services with this one-time very reasonably priced vector graphics software. They also have an iPad app that is just as powerful and neither suck up resources!

Cons: If you are very used other software like Illustrator, it will take some time to adjust at first. You may have to find different ways to do the same task in Designer, but it is just a quick look-up away from learning.

A wonderful substitute for Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 11/07/2018
Heidi S.
Graphic Designer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Awesome alternative to Adobe products, clean interface and makes my project flow much more efficient.

Pros: I really like how intuitive the software is for designers who are familiar with any standard design platform. I've been using Serif products for 9 years now and have always been impressed with how affordable and functional their design software has always been. They made design accessible to anyone in a market where design software pricing made it out of reach for many struggling graphic artists and designers. This newest offering is, in my opinion, superior to the industry standard vector offering, Adobe Illustrator. At a base level Affinity Designer offers all of the functionality of it's competition, with more ease of use and a much more affordable rate.

Cons: As Affinity Designer is still fairly new there are some small bugs, however, the Affinity support team works hard to address those and update the software often. Also, while most of the features are super intuitive the more advanced offerings can be harder to figure out. More tutorials offered by the company and the design community would be beneficial to allow people to really get all of the value that they can. The software is capable of so much but learning about those advanced features can be frustrating.

Affinity Designer, a good tool for designers.

Reviewed on 15/01/2019
Ingeniero de Implementación y Soporte
Design, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use Affinity for more than two years and the truth is that what can be achieved is satisfactory, that it is easy to use because it resembles others, it contains the exact thing to illustrate and when deploying it in the graphic arts department it was very appropriate for us. Its low cost, its help methods grow over time and this allows you to be informed of innovations in the product.

Pros: Affinity is a good competitor for other tools that are giving you something to talk about and they show it with this software that enhances your designs, an interface that does not depart from familiar tools. Its low cost and updates draw attention, I had the opportunity to test it on MacOS and I wanted it to come out for windows, later my prayers were heard and today is part of my group of applications that I use to illustrate, Serif intends to get into the game with a program that offers a lower cost of good quality than others that are expensive.

Cons: Although upgrades improve it and make Affinity more similar to other software, it lacks many tools that would boost it and put it at the top, but eventually we'll see it.

The Best Vector Program for your Money!

Reviewed on 26/10/2018
Account Services Representative
Insurance, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience with Affinity Designer has been overwhelmingly positive. Seriously, there isn't a better vector/raster program for Windows, Mac, and iPad for the price. It's changed my design workflow for the better and I hope it disrupts the stranglehold a certain suite of tools has on the industry.

Pros: Affinity Designer has helped me cut the expensive cord that tied me to the Adobe suite of graphic design tools. The price is absolutely mind-blowing for what this software can do. It does everything programs like Illustrator can do--creating vector art and manipulating nodes on the fly. But it also adds raster tools allowing you to combine smooth vector designs with detailed bitmaps. There's so much Serif has packed into this amazing app at an insanely affordable price that there's no reason every designer and hobbyist should be adding to their toolbox today.

Cons: My only nitpicks about this software is that occasionally it will crash when you're handling large files with lots of layers and that new versions don't come out as quickly as I'd like. But Serif is a small team who's passionate about their product and I know they'll continue to develop it to be the best it can be.

A great alternative to Illustrator.

Reviewed on 28/08/2019
Ina eliza G.
Administrator
Insurance, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I started to use Affinity Designer in order to wake up the creativity in me. I took several classes to learn how to use it - each class was having a certain project as a goal. It is not so difficult to learn and I think you learn best when you have a certain end in mind. If you are used with Illustrator, it will be very easy to use Affinity Designer. Some cannot give up using Illustrator, but if you are just beginning or on a tight budget, I really recommend Affinity Designer.

Pros: I like how much you get for the money you pay. It is a one-time payment, very budget-friendly, and you get a software that gives you everything you need to create what you have in mind: create a logo, write something or make an amazing artwork to print, to share. I am still amazed by the things that you can do with this software.

Cons: It is not that I don't like this, but you really need to put in the time and energy to learn it. And this was expected because you can create such amazing things with it. You can find tutorials and classes that will guide you. Just take your time and don't give up.

Easy to vectorize elements and good for multiple purposes design (printing, online design, cutting).

Reviewed on 20/04/2019
Andreea laura A.
Internet, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I bought Affinity Designer last year because it was at offer, i think on black friday. Initially I was reluctant to buy it and use it because I thought it would be hard to use and understand another application. If you know Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator you know how to use Affinity Designer. It seems to be a combination of them, but from my point of view better on working with vector elements.

Pros: First of all, because when you create vector elements and delete a point, it does not destroy the whole element that you've created. I like that you can organize in folders what you are doing and by double clicking on an item in the folder you selected it and you can edit it. For now, I've used affinity designer to make pdf documents as giveaway for my readers on the blog and to make design for my cutting machine. When I bought the application I received some templates to use, I have not used them yet but I assume they are useful. You can also create artboards to make design for sites and applications. You can export each artboard separately in different formats.

Cons: I faced a little problem. It is not compatible with Adobe Illustrator. At work I had this program and I sent a file home to make some changes but I could not do that because I could not open my document. Instead I have no problems with the eps format.

Great alternative

Reviewed on 09/09/2019
Grant T.
Art Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've really enjoyed using this software as it works so well. And the biggest plus, no subscription!

Pros: Affinity's Designer is the closest thing to Adobe's Illustrator. Yet it has other great options. I particularly like how you can switch between vector and pixel mode. Additionally, it's really smooth to use. That's quite a hard thing to explain but it just works really well. It's also partly about how it feels like a mix of InDesign and Illustrator. I particularly like how you can easily export to many different formats.

Cons: I can't say there's anything really. I'm still slightly adjusting to the details of this from Adobe but that's to be expected, not that there's that much to pick up really.

Extremely viable alternative to Photoshop and Illustrator

Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Jason H.
Computer Software, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The software is very familiar if you come from Photoshop and Illustrator, but manages to make it a smoother and more modern feeling experience. As far as I can tell all the main tools you'd need from Adobe's software is here. Best of all, you pay the price you'd pay for one month of Adobe software... and you actually own it! So if you can't or don't want to pay for the upgrade in a couple years, you aren't just up poop creek like you are with Adobe.

Cons: The only con I have encountered so far is the lack of a button you can hold to switch to colorpicker. This would speed up my workflow a fair bit.

Best money I have ever spent on computer software

Reviewed on 09/05/2019
Adam P.
Special Projects
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I LOVE AFFINITY DESIGNER!!! This software has been the absolute best money I have ever spent on a software program. This is a full-featured vector design tool that can stand toe to toe with programs like Adobe Illustrator which cost 10x more. If you are a graphic design professional that uses vector design tools every day it would probably be worth that extra expense to move up to AI, but Affinity Designer does 90% of what you'd get out of AI at a small fraction of the cost. Overall this program delivers a truly outstanding value! If you're searching for something like this and haven't yet committed to AI try Affinity Designer now!

Pros: Affinity Designer delivers an unbeatable feature set for the price.

Cons: Missing some more advanced features found in AI

Not really an Illustrator replacement, it still might be all many designers need

Reviewed on 26/06/2018
Rick P.
Customer Support

Pros: Adobe isn't exactly the most loved software company in the world right now, not even among designers who depend and even like its products. So if you dislike Adobe as much as I do, Serif's Affinity Designer has at least these things going for it: No subscriptions! Great, personal support! Engaged-with-the-community developers! Not built by a boring, unresponsive, impassive corporation that ignores its customers! But thankfully it's also a powerful and incredibly inexpensive piece of software. Stuff I really like: 1. Doesn't crash. I'm guessing that's because of good memory management, something I'm not sure Adobe has ever cared about. 2. Unlimited artboards! Yup, unlimited. 3. Split-screen and outline views with a keyboard shortcut. Nice! 4. Much, MUCH easier to work with pixels and vectors at the same time. 5. Did I mention that it's not Adobe?

Cons: Not as power-packed as Illustrator so some task still need Adobe, particularly for prepress. (For prototyping, you probably want Sketch.) Not as impressive as its sister application Affinity Photo. Proprietary format is obviously not an industry-standard like Adobe. No iPad app yet.

Vector meets Pixel in one simple app!

Reviewed on 04/09/2018
Sasha-shae W.
CEO and Visual Design Strategist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall I've used Affinity Designer to create logos, website layout wireframes and mockups, pdf documents, and a bunch of other things. It's really fast and doesn't lag at all

Pros: First and foremost, the cost of this app is stellar! You can't beat the price for what you're getting. AD is a vector and pixel based program and it's simplified workflows for those of us who wanted something different to the new subscriptions introduced by Adobe. I find AD really easy to jump into and use, and their tutorials out there are genuinely helpful, plus there are many 3rd party resources to help you learn more.

Cons: Since it's still a fairly new product, some features we may be used to in for example Illustrator, are not present. For one, I miss being able to do live traces and also I find the pathfinder functions work a little differently than they do in Illustrator.

Where to begin? So much excellence.

Reviewed on 26/03/2019
James R.
Developer and entrepreneur
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Unseating the great Adobe Illustrator is no easy task. Illustrator has been a stalwart of the design industry for decades. If there's a contender out there, this is it. I dare say, Affinity Designer may be better than AI. While there are some serious migration issues if you're an AI veteran, within a week or two, you will have forgotten about Illustrator. What's most impressive about AD is that it's blazing fast, super stable and has no monthly subscription requirement. It's also got a host of great features for app / software interface design, and reusable elements to speed up complex images. The brush tools are great, and the support for drawing tablets is well implemented. You'll also find support for loads of image formats and portability to Affinity's Photo product.

Cons: The learning curve is a little daunting for long-time Illlustrator users. For me it had been a long time since I had to learn a new drawing application. Fortunately YouTube is already filling up with tutorial videos and how-to's. If you can get past the awkward early-stage, there's a lot to love here. But be prepared for initial frustration.

Not a real Illustrator competitor yet, but easy to use

Reviewed on 28/11/2018
Christian K.
CEO & Founder
Internet, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I prefer Affinity Designer over Adobe Illustrator because of the fast start up and the interface. You will easily find what you need and can if it's not there you can easily add it. So user experience is really good. Because I am not working on digital art like other people but create simpler art Designer is okay for me as I don't need all the features missing from Illustrator. And the price - you really buy the software, you don't rent a cloud package - this is super and affordable for not so deep pockets.

Pros: Affinity Designer is easy to use and makes navigating easy to find what you are looking for. Features are okay and not too much at the beginning. If you were using Illustrator before you will understand the User Interface. It's also easy to export your designs, easier to create designs. It also loads faster than AI.

Cons: Illustrator is missing some features from Illustrator which you may like to use, it's the problem if you wanted a better overview. Less features means a better interaction, shorter ways and fewer shortcuts, but also fewer ways to create masterpieces of art.

Affinity Designer - Exactly What I Need

Reviewed on 16/05/2019
Animation, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I was searching for an escape route from Illustrator when I came across Affinity Designer. It was on sale at the time and I figured, 'how could I go wrong?' I bought it and haven't looked back since. I've also purchased Affinity Photo and I've been working with the Beta of their Publisher app. All are very impressive and I'd highly recommend them to anyone like me, looking for alternatives.

Pros: The interface is clean and makes good sense after watching a few of the tutorial videos. I really like how vertices adjustment handles work, they are quite intuitive for me. The non-destructive effects are great.

Cons: I found it a bit difficult at first to understand how layers worked, but after watching tutorials and some experimentation, it's become second nature. You can import *.ai files but you can't export them. Not a huge deal since it exports very nice PDF and EPS files.

The Must-Have App for Graphic Designers!

Reviewed on 24/04/2018
Co-Propietario
13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The fastest proffesional graphic design software, with great results and amazing speed using symbols.

Pros: It's an incredible app that has everything you need for designing, sketching, drawing and more! I't one of my favorite apps of the decade! All the features are amazing: the infinite zoom gives you precision, the smart guides are really smart, the layers panel, the tools, the view modes and more.
Serif really have achieved a masterpiece that competes directly with other vector graphics platforms.

Cons: It's a little limited on typography tools, and object effects as blending between shapes, gradient mesh and others are on my wishlist.

It is one of the best companies in terms of web design

Reviewed on 30/03/2018
Kendra Q.
13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: It is one of the best companies in terms of web design, not only because it tries to help in all possible ways to its customers but also because it presents a wide variety of services and is extremely effective in each and every one of them, I recommend it 100%, currently it is very difficult to find a company as effective and fast as Affinity Designer. If you are thinking about working with this company let me tell you that you have nothing to think about and you should start doing it now, I recommend it 100% effective, fast, attentive, versatile .. it has everything a customer needs and knows how to use it ..

Cons: I really do not have any complaints about this company, I go alone with nice and good comments, because it is everything that the company left me, I am 100% satisfied and very happy to have worked with Affinity Designer without a doubt I will do it again a future .. Very good company and very good way of working, really admirable and recommended, I'm not disappointed even for a second. There should be more companies that do everything as simple as Affinity Designer does and treat clients' doubts and concerns in the same way that they do. It does not compare with anything, its treatment and attention to details are very good. Highly recommended

Illustrator, watch out!

Reviewed on 30/08/2019
Matthew B.
Operations Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I started with Designer and have since adopted the entire Affinity Suite.

Pros: Affinity has really outdone themselves with Designer. For a fraction (literally) the cost of Adobe Illustrator, Designer is a full featured, professional alternative - with a one time license fee (you own it, forever).

Cons: I wish Affinity could add support for Adobe file extensions. Within the Affinity/Serif world, you're fine. If a client requests an Adobe specific format, you will have trouble.

Illustrator Replacement.

Reviewed on 16/10/2018
Jeremy D.
Web Developer / Owner
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've switched my primary vector design tool to Affinity a little over 2 years ago. Since switching, I've taken time to learn the Affinity products, and really appreciate their features. I bought both books (Designer and Photo books), as well as both ipad apps, and am beta testing Affinity Publisher. So far, they have been great to use, and never caused me any issues. I highly recommend all of their software!

Pros: Price! Features, GUI, import / export options, plays nice with adobe, company is great at providing tutorials, updates, and enhancing the product.

Cons: learning curve is there (it's not an adobe clone), but take the time to learn this tool, it's worth it!

Affordable, professional grade vector graphics software

Reviewed on 19/07/2019
Arpad S.
Brand Designer | UI, UX & Visual Designer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It was a rough start, but I really wanted to get used to it. Creating vector art with a specific software is just about muscle memory. If you're persistent enough, you can work with any app. Affinity is a great non-subscription based application, with plenty of features to create professional graphics very quickly. It can be as good as any other alternatives.

Pros: The user interface of Affinity Designer is very intuitive, easy to use and also looks great. Features are easily accessible.

Cons: It has some stability issues, sometimes crashes and the vector output after expanding a shape is not optimized very well yet. I suppose this will change with time.

Not fit for purpose

Reviewed on 23/01/2019
Simon D.
Freelance Designer and Web Developer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Not really a finished app I have been trying to integrate Affinity Designer into a professional workflow for a number of years now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just too painful and there is nothing to indicate that this will improve. Back when I first purchased this app the developers were promising a roadmap of future improvements which would bring it closer to some of the industry-standard vector apps out there. It's been two years now and not a single thing on that list has been implemented. The few updates which have come down the line have focused on things like the app icon. The developers have moved on to other projects, and it seems to me that for all intents and purposes, development on this software has been abandoned. I wouldn't wish to speculate if this software will even be supported in a few years. So we're left with an app which lacks some of the most fundamental vector editing tools. With the exception of skew, vectors cannot be distorted in any way (including perspective) and it even lacks a knife tool. These are tools which are actually provided by many free editors. Furthermore, many tools are very poorly implemented. Convert to curves produces hilariously unusable results and things like Offset Path simply don't exist. The developers themselves are notoriously unresponsive to please for further development. Since going cross-platform there have been many reports of Designer's instability and since the implementation of Apples Metal API

Pros: It's cheap, although it still remains less powerful that some free apps

Cons: Development seems to have ground to a halt on this app. Investing time and energy learning could be a waste of time as it may not be around in the future.

A neck-and-neck competitor to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 06/04/2018
Andrés S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Being able to pay for a licensed fully reliable software, at a reasonable price. Hey! It's a no-brainer.

Pros: Designer, along with its brother Photo, makes the best out of a designer software, without the hustle and cost of a larger suite, such as Adobe CC. Every feature you are used to having on Illustrator you will find in Designer. The layout is very similar and with some name changes you are just at home. Additionally, Serif develops templates and themes that you can use just by being a registered user.

Cons: The only problem for most designers is to find where the usual tools (shadowing, rasterizing, among others) are located. Once you get familiarized with where is what, you are free.

The illustrator killer.. almost

Reviewed on 16/10/2018
Christopher michael S.
Technology Specialist
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: All of Serif's software is amazing, and Affinity Designer is easily the best graphic design program I've ever used.

Pros: It's a lightweight, super functional graphics design software for the ages. It has 99% of the tools I need for vector and pixel art creation, all in one program. In some ways, it's like a hybrid of Illustrator and Photoshop.

Cons: There's not much I don't like, but it is missing a few features that make it hard to completely abandon adobe products. However, those are in the development roadmap, so it's only a matter of time.

Adobe has nothing on Affinity

Reviewed on 06/05/2019
Coordinator of K-12 International Education
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Their business model. Affinity provides an amazing product that I don't feel like I am buying again every month. I am sorry but Adobe is out of their mind to think that a casual user that occasionally needs design software is going to pay more for their product than they do all their streaming services combined.
Affinity designer is an amazing piece of software that allows me to create and design simple print projects to.. something that I cannot do, create beautiful pieces of art. I have a tremendous amount of loyalty to Affinity. Bonus: they produce their own tutorial videos and post them online, so even if there is a task you don't know how to accomplish they help you.

Cons: I don't dislike anything about this software. I use is constantly and am always impressing friends and coworkers with the projects I complete with it.