• Overall

About Spiceworks

Download free IT help desk software for IT pros & sysadmins around the world in all businesses. Support & mobile apps also free.

Learn more about Spiceworks

Product Rating

Product Rating

Countries available

Countries available

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Spiceworks before?

Paul K.
Shipbuilding, 51-200 Employees

Spiceworks - Ticket management

5 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It is actually hosted by Spiceworks, so nothing local. Setup was very simple. It is used everyday. I can create tickets, there is a page for users to create tickets and they can be created via email. Once a ticket is created, you are notified by email. Very useful and simple.

Pros:

It is free. It works better than some of the others that I have tried. It is completely configurable for whatever category you need. Always works. Perfect for a simple ticketing system.

Cons:

Since it is free, there are ads that show on website. Not really an issue. Not as granular as some of the others.

Josh B.
IT Support Specialist in US

Awesome IT Help Desk software, horrible inventory system.

2 4 years ago

Pros:

Spiceworks is great for managing help desk tickets. Using HTML we've been able to customize our end-user portal. Create multiple ticket templates to capture the details we truly need from end-users. We have found that the mobile application for iOS and Android to be the best on the market. It has a great GUI, very user friendly, informative, and easy to set up.

Cons:

The inventory system is lacking when it comes to producing accurate information. At one point this year we were upgrading our end users to dual monitors. We attempted to use Spiceworks to produce the make and model of the current monitor the end users were using. It came back telling us a generic description. I ended up writing a batch file that would obtain them remotely and that was accurate. We've also had issues where it would scan a computer that had 2 monitors but would only show one. We also went through a license key audit and thought we could rely on Spiceworks to produce accurate results. It ended up showing us that several computers had 3 iterations of office installed. I understand that these keys are in the registry but other similar scanners would only produce keys for whats actually installed on the workstation by cross-referencing installed applications and registry keys. We recently have been experiencing issues where Spiceworks would attempt to scan 180 assets and it would fail to complete the scan without errors. We found this out by using WSUS to determine how many computers we had and Spiceworks was off by 30 assets of the 180. At least twice a week it also locks up and our end users can't access the help desk portal to submit tickets. We've chosen to use LanSweeper to track assets. LanSweeper produced accurate results in a fraction of the time Spiceworks produced incomplete results. Spiceworks took 8+ hours, LanSweeper <30 minutes.

John K.
IT Consultant in Netherlands
Computer Networking, Self Employed

SpiceWorks Cloud IT helpdesk for free!

4 2 years ago

Comments: Spiceworks IT Helpdesk Cloud version does everything I want from a cloud based Ticketing system so even though its lacking some features which I hope will get added soon as ive mentioned earlier it does do everything you would expect from a basic IT Support helpdesk ticketing system. So if your looking for a free IT helpdesk solution I would really try out Spiceworks offering and also take a look at there cloud hosted version which I use myself.

Pros:

Spiceworks ive used the community for years now so when I found there IT Helpdesk I started to use it but I then stopped for a while until there cloud IT Helpdesk came out which for me works best as I dont need to worry about hosting anywhere. So now I have a great IT helpdesk for my clients to log tickets with all for free!

Cons:

The only Con to Spiceworks IT Helpdesk was that I was initially released as a windows installer which didnt really work for my business as I dont have my own servers, it wasnt until the Cloud IT helpdesk version came out that I then started to use Spiceworks IT helpdesk again as my client IT helpdesk solution. Its also lacking some features you would see in premium solutions but it does the basics and works for my IT Consultancy business.

Jeff R.
IT Director in US
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees

Bang for your Buck, especially when it is free!

5 2 years ago

Comments: I have used Spiceworks in 2 different IT Shops now and will continue to use them. I have attended SpiceWorld twice and will be attending it again this year. They bring the best IT companies together.

Pros:

It's Free. It has a great mobile app that allows my techs to have access to the portal from anywhere. It is simple to use. It is cloud based. It comes with a free remote control tool (ZoHo) as well.

Cons:

Advertisements. You have to expect that with anything that is free. We may upgrade to the paid version this year. Limited options in regards to the User Portal.

Racey C.
IT Operations Manager in US

Easily the best completely free helpdesk software out there

4 4 years ago

Pros:

I like that it works well for a small to medium sized environment, I like that it has never crashed or given me a single problem in the five years I've used it as our only help desk ticketing solution, and I like that it costs absolutely nothing. It includes some other features like network monitoring, SNMP monitoring, etc., but we've never used any of those features. If you really need that type of functionality I'd recommend going with a more robust solution built for that purpose. All we needed was something to handle support request tickets and it has been great for that. If you have a very large environment you'll probably want to go with a more robust solution, but for our 100+ users this has been completely fine.

Cons:

If I had to find something to complain about, I guess I would say that I don't care for the fact that its HTML based and is rendered in a browser window. I'm sure many people don't find this a con, I'm just personally used to working with an application installed locally and find the interface to be a little laggy compared to the snappy performance of something like Autotask. Not much to complain about in a free solution though.

Director of IT in US
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees

Considering the cost, it's a VERY powerful application

4 3 years ago

Comments: Very happy we got it. It is one of the most stable, reliable things we run here. It has genuinly made things smoother and easier for my IT Department. And yes, we are running the free version (so you know it's not a "paid indorsement"). If I ever changed jobs, Spiceworks would be the FIRST thing I installed at a new place. So much bang for low to no cost and a short learning curve

Pros:

Does a great job of managing our help desk ticketing system. Nobody likes making tickets, but with 4 techs watching the que, problems get resolved faster. We have been using the system for years. Very stable. The inventorying is reasonably robust - will let you quickly spot machines that are not up to spec for a planned upgrade.

Cons:

The polling and reporting on down devices is weak. You find out a device is down long after it actually went down, and then for DAYS it continues to aleret you the device is down (even though you have brought it back up). If you try and close the ticket, spiceworks gleefully creates another one, even though the problem is long gone. That said, we did not install this to be a network monitor, so any monitoring functionality is just icing on the cake.

Michael M.
Michael M.
Help Desk Manager in US

100% free help desk and ticket resolution solution.

5 4 years ago

Comments: As I mentioned previously, a majority of our users are primarily mobile and being able to stay in touch with each other and with the client (who we can set up to receive notifications of their own when a ticket they created is edited) is essential. Further, there's no reason not to try it out because there is no financial commitment to worry about.

Pros:

As I said above, it's FREE. For lower volume IT houses it's pretty great. We have a basic setup where emails sent to a support address automatically open a ticket. I operate almost exclusively from my phone and we've never had an issue creating, working on or closing tickets in the field or in the office.

Cons:

Nothing more serious than the occasional hiccup when an update is released for the mobile app and features are either shuffled around or changed so much they aren't easily uncovered again. Also, if it did more to auto-populate the fields for the name of the person who submitted it, what it pertains to, which software or hardware they're looking for help with, that would be great.

Travis B.
Travis B.
It Security Manager in US
Automotive, 501-1,000 Employees

Best Free ITSM you need

4 12 months ago

Comments: SO i came from a government contract and our ITSM is all based on lowest bidder, Spiceworks excels far better than those software's I used .

Pros:

The ease of putting in tickets and meeting resolution target without much communication loss is imperative to all IT operations.

Cons:

So i used the free version of the software being in a start up environment, that being said the software has a ton of adds.

Becky jewell L.
Becky jewell L.
Director of Customer Success in US
Internet, 11-50 Employees

Best for IT

4 4 years ago

Comments: Spiceworks IT makes it easy for my team and I to manage difficult IT tickets as well as track our own internal projects. The in-app emailing notification system helps keep clients up to date on ticket progress, so that we don't have to update tickets and email clients separately.

Pros:

Spiceworks IT Help Desk is great to help manage ticket times and IT tasks. I like that it is made specifically for IT tickets or level 2 software support scenarios, it's definitely more for IT than for software development or software feature tracking. The modules are a little easier to look at than Fogbugz. The admin portal is also easy to use and manage teammates and team workloads - managing inbound tickets and creating brand new tickets (as a manager) to send out tasks is easy.

Cons:

For me it took a while to ramp up and get trained on Spiceworks IT - it was a little bit less intuitive than Fogbugz and JIRA, but, once you learn how it works, it's much better. If anything goes wrong customer support is pretty good. For software development projects where repositories are being merged/ features are being tracked ect it isn't the best fit.

Ronald V.
Ronald V.
EUC Field Technician in US
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Spiceworks really organize your IT management

5 3 years ago

Comments: the total control on my IT management using this very nice piece of software let me know in real time, the quantity of pc , laptops and portable devices are connected in my network, it let me know how many of them i got so i can have a real inventory idea of what i got installed, it for monitoring almost all the topics in the IT management.

Pros:

this software its amaizing,it can let you control almost any part of your IT management, it let you now a really detailed info about your pc and laptops connected in your network,the report let you know even the internals serials of each part of your hardware , is really professional.

Cons:

i dont have to express any cons against this sofware, its really good piece of software.

Jonathan P.
Software Developer in US
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees

Better IT Management at the amazing price of free!

4 3 years ago

Comments: IT requests had a tendency to fall through the cracks before Spiceworks. E-mail sent to the IT department could be overlooked and lost due to other requests. Spiceworks allowed us to setup a help desk to track all of these while also maintaining inventories and alerting us of device failures or issues.

Pros:

Spiceworks was simple to setup and very simple to use. Simple enough for the least technologically adept individuals to use while also powerful enough for the IT department to maintain, diagnose and fix any device within the company.

Cons:

On rare occasions we have had to deal with software crashes requiring a reboot of the services or server.

Christopher W.
Christopher W.
IT manager in US
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees

Network Monitor Review

5 2 years ago

Comments: Great tool as a backup to a real network monitor. Wouldn't recommend as a primary.

Pros:

Its free. Easy to setup and has great monitoring features.

Cons:

Must be installed on multiple machines to work properly

IT Helpdesk Administrator in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great tool if you have someone maintaining it

4 3 years ago

Pros:

It is a good tool for work tickets. Easy for users to open tickets and keep track of what's being done (when staff update the notes on a ticket). Can keep track of ongoing issues or past issues.

Cons:

I think this tool would be working better for us if the person that is supposed to be maintaining it would actually maintain it. For a while we were getting lots of errors where users weren't able to open tickets, or when they did open tickets the email wasn't being sent out to the IT staff.

Jordan D.
Jordan D.
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees

SNMP monitoring made simple and cost effective

4 3 years ago

Comments: Network Monitor is one of my favorite tools from Spiceworks. It allows me to see how my switches and servers are doing from a convenient dashboard. When there is an issue, notifications to email alert you of the problem for quick and easy response. Network Monitor can be resource intensive if you are not tuning the software properly, and running on Windows is not necessarily helping. Compared to other similar tools, Spiceworks Network Monitor is by far the simplest and easiest to get up and running. If you are managing a small or mediem business, Spiceworks Network Monitor is a great tool that will result in time and cost savings.

Pros:

Inexpensive and simple SNMP monitoring easy to download and setup within minutes Monitor multiple devices from a variety of manufactures notifications

Cons:

Installable only on Windows a little top heavy hasn't evolved much since conception notifications are aggressive and needs a lot of time to tune properly

Sean D.
Sean D.
IT Litigation Support Analyst in US
Law Practice, 51-200 Employees

Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk

5 3 years ago

Comments: Law firm help desk. We've been using Spiceworks since 2009. We moved from an on prem install to the cloud around 2015. This is constantly open on a browser and use this nonstop. Our users send an email and we are easily able to track open tickets so nothing falls through the cracks.

Pros:

We love Spiceworks! Speed of site is great (from email to ticket creation). Good reporting, Activity tab is great to see what has been happening.

Cons:

Searching through tickets can be painful using the Cloud Helpdesk.

Patrick H.
Patrick H.

Free, Easy Setup, Great User Forum

5 4 years ago

Pros:

FREE, FREE, FREE - in a world where IT always has to watch the budget, its nice to have a great helpdesk management system out there that is FREE!!!! Easy to setup, deploy and track assets quickly

Cons:

The only draw back is that you have to wait for support in the user forum/community. instead of being able to pickup a phone and call someone you have to rely on others to answer the questions that you run into (which often only takes a few minutes)

Ryan F.
Technology Integration in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Very user friendly

4 3 years ago

Comments: We have used Spiceworks for years as our main help desk ticketing system and absolutely love it. It is free and easy to use. We can quickly document and assign tickets to various techs that can then document their process efficiently. It is also great for looking at old tickets to research recurring problems.

Pros:

It is absolutely free and easy to use for the technicians and clients.

Cons:

Sometimes navigating from one section to another to find what you want is more difficult than it should be.

Jack R.
Primary/Secondary Education

A great free product for those on a tight budget.

Pros:

The Helpdesk module is fantastic. The ability to create and manage tickets via email is something you would only expect to find in a paid-for product. Inventory can scan your network on schedule and report hardware and software changes. Spiceworks is extendable by plug-ins and new features are added regularly. The community is a great resource for feedback and advice.

Cons:

Inventory can take some tweaking to get everything working as desired. While there are a large number of available plug-ins, many are applicable only for very specific environments or for use with specific hardware and service vendors.

Ryan C.
IT Systems & Network Director in US
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees

Spiceworks

4 3 years ago

Pros:

Free helpdesk system with network monitoring and network inventory! That's pretty awesome in my book. Extremely active community with Spiceworks. Some resources are better than others, but it is nice to see certain parts of their site not only dedicated to the 'work' side of Spiceworks, but the more 'human' side of a lot of people in the technology field(s). We like to talk about more than work, and when we do you can get some great ideas from those folks.

Cons:

I would just love it if Spiceworks could run on a Linux platform. While running on windows makes installation and I'm sure a lot of the back-end stuff a lot easier to do, but I would like to put it on a server and let it do it's thing there.

Jim K.
IT in US
Machinery, 51-200 Employees

Works well for Help desk tickets

5 6 months ago

Comments: It works well. Tickets are opened automatically when someone sends in a request. when a help desk person takes the ticket, the user knows who is assigned.

Pros:

I like the fact that replies to the user that sent in the ticket are automatic and show who is assigned to the ticket.

Cons:

Ticketing system could use the ability to not open new tickets when an auto reply is sent back. When an auto reply is sent back, the system will open another ticket causing a massive amount of new tickets till you figure out how to correct the issue.

Randy Q.
Randy Q.
Software Engineer in US
Internet, 1,001-5,000 Employees

The most informative, outstanding product and unique way of monitoring your network

5 3 years ago

Comments: If I talk about my overall experience I would say, Spiceworks Network Monitor is considered to be the best ever ticketing software.

Pros:

I like almost each and everything about Spiceworks Network Monitor. It is super easy to use and set up. It can be used perfectly in monitoring software installations as well as checking license expiry. It helps us a lot in solving our several problems. Its' easy to use and simple interface is highly appreciable. It keeps me alert about the significant issues prevailing.

Cons:

It is no doubt the most useful software. One of the drawbacks is that this seems to be quite complicated to the new beginners due to which user needs to have bit training of it in order to have complete command on it. Other than that it is an amazing product.

Branimir P.
IT admin in Croatia
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees

Nice and comprehensive helpdesk solution

4 4 years ago

Pros:

This helpdesk has a lot of features considering that it's free of charge. Inventory is a nice feature, it can even get hardware information on branded PCs (serials...). Reports can be customized as needed, a query can even be written if you are familiar with SQL.

Cons:

Software can only use built-in SQLite DB, cannot use MS SQL. Sometimes there are problems with sending emails, then a service restart is needed. Admin accounts are linked to online forum account and cannot be locally managed (password reset...)

Leo A.
Network Specialist II in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Excellent functionality

5 2 years ago

Comments: I have been using this product for many years and never considered searching for an alternative.

Pros:

The vast functionality sets it apart from the other free options for network monitoring. Spiceworks has a great support forum as well.

Cons:

I have not experienced anything negative with the network monitor. Setup is quick and easy and needs minimal maintenance.

Dimitri P.
Computer technician in US

Clearly the best software for IT companies

5 3 years ago

Comments: This software is a must have for any IT company. In office we use it for everything. I love it because we can even manage our inventory with this software, which is awesome!

Pros:

This software has anything you need. You can keep notes for inventory, create repair tickets, and assign technicians.

Cons:

You have to spend some time to learn how to use it.

John S.
IT in US

A great Helpdesk system

5 4 years ago

Pros:

For a free product this is doing a amazing job. We have used it for a few years and it a important part of our workflow now. It has a great community and it is easy to expand with new features.

Cons:

Because it is so easy to set up and get running some advanced features may be hidden away in odd places.