15 years helping British businesses

About Discord

Online communication tool that allows video, audio, and text conversations, using public or private servers.

Learn more about Discord

Pros:

Discord is a unique service for community communication. Great features of bots and webhooks.

Cons:

Discord doesn't really have any flaws, but still things that can be improved. Discord should continue to work on moderation, especially to prevent spam actions on public servers.

Discord ratings

4.4
4.1
4.6
4.5

9.0/10

Discord has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 440 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Discord before?

Yiğit
Yiğit
Co-Founder in Türkiye
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Discord Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It is an application that I use both in my business and private life. I can easily communicate with my employees and friends and get my work done.

Pros:

It is very useful, simple and has rich content.

Cons:

There is nothing I don't like in the Discord application, frankly I am very satisfied.

Kemal
Co-Founders in Türkiye
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Discord Review

Comments: Overall I am very pleased. I was using different applications before. Discord is better than all of them.

Pros:

Common use, Ease of Use, Product developability

Cons:

Although it is not overly expensive, one has to pay more money for the full version of the program than it is accessible to everyone

Jeff
Jeff
Owner in US
Investment Management, Self Employed

Terrible Screening & Terrible Customer Service

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It is clunky at best for adding images to posts and joining audio or video sessions. I'm multiple groups and each group only has a small icon to ID it, so finding each group is difficult. So this latest experience really topped the cake. I am contemplating not using it anymore. And tomorrow I receive a new (used, but to me) PC I purchased mainly to be my dedicated Discord PC.

Pros:

Multiple forums available on one application.

Cons:

I have used Discord for about 5 years. A problem I have faced is scammers direct messaging me. Discord doesn't seem to be able to do anything about that. Last week I received an invitation to join a Discord forum by a vendor from whom I have purchased several hundred $-worth of product. I tried several times to join that forum on 2 different PCs. Because their service was lousy, they added insult to injury by suspending my account. I appealed 4 days ago -- crickets.

Shaun
I do everything in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Discord: Get your plate, and line up for the buffet.

Comments: Great. I've made many a memory on Discord, with friends, family and other people I've enjoyed talking too. It's the perfect place to socialize, work, joke, cry, enjoy and get stuff done on. Discord, I would say, is for you.

Pros:

Discord is a wonderful communication, community and call your friends a/an (INSERT CURRENTLY TRENDING OBSCURE TERM THAT NO ONE UNDERSTANDS UNTIL ITS NOT POPULAR ANYMORE) tool and space for everything you can think of. It's good for industry, keeping up with co workers tasks and and building community. It's good for just sending as many videos to each other until someone screams, or playing games with each other with screen sharing. This is the all-in-one package, with the total price of a pocket holes net worth. I recommend it, for everyone!

Cons:

File sharing... and occasionally bugs. Also having to troubleshoot your own mistakes and/or lack of knowledge. But that's pretty much it. There are occasionally (not very often) also bad bots who try to scam you, or send explicit content. But yeah, I would ask Discord to make file sharing more versatile for non-paid (Discord Nitro) users, but if not, it's still a good platform and tool.

Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Manage your community as a Boss

5.0 last month New

Comments: Discord have more really good features and you can improve it by get a nitro that mean you need to purchase their plans . but you can enjoy in free system also. As i thin k system need to have more secure measurements and need some features to report it. I'm really like is the system have some of offline features also for view old messages. mostly discord is really good and we can use easy to an one who like to play games and wanna talk with large community with proper manner .

Pros:

This is free and really easy to use and simple. This system is fully made for the gamers in beginning. And now its really Improve with lot, If you want you can share screen with anyone while you doing your playing or works and as i know this is the first app that it starts as first. and in here we can do low of things like group talking and watching films also as a group, more than other everything i recommend this for most group activity . We can make make community and in that we can divide lot of subcategory this is mostly i like in there. other thing is Customization and Control this is really good feature, we give permission and roles and we can have fully control.

Cons:

Mainly i have a issue with the notification sounds, when we are in group chat with lot in active server overcome volume of notification. when we consider about the this need lot of performance and it affect to some old less powerful devices mostly it happen to me also once. and i think in here we need more privacy concerns because in here its not secure at all with harassment and i think this system need more security features . This required more good and stable internet connection it will be a issue with someone who stay a place with low connectivity .

Bronx
Technical Support Specialist in US
Computer Hardware, 51–200 Employees

Discord: What CANT it do?!

Comments: Discord has been an amazing experience and has made it beyond simple to chat with friends that I might know, or might never meet in person. We can use webcams and mics and chat like we were I. The same room. So in short, my experience with discord has been nothing but perfect!

Pros:

Discord is one of the easiest to use and most useful communication applications on the market! Me and my friends spend countless hours In discord, whether that’s just chatting, or playing with multiple 3 person groups all within the channel so that even if we aren’t in the same lobby, WERE TOGETHER!

Cons:

Discord has 0 downsides and only makes everything easier! Thanks to the team that brought us this, my life is so much simpler!

kristopher
Streamer in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Discord a gammers must

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Connections made with online gaming friends and the communities you can set up weither for streaming or not its a great must have software

Cons:

As far as lesst goes at most sometimes discords a tad buggy on pc and uses a fair amount of cpu and ram other then that no complaints

Rafael
CSR in Philippines
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

My experience with Discord

Comments: I highly recommend discord when communicating with friends while playing online games.

Pros:

its free and easily accessible, and you can communicate with various amounts of people with an internet persona.

Cons:

i hate that some features are locked in nitro, a subscription offer to unlock some good features

Jenelyn
Customer service representative in Philippines
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Jenelyn reviews

Comments: Very convenient to use it when it comes to meeting or bonding with your friends

Pros:

It's very helpful when it comes use it gaming live sharing your screen and communicate to others

Cons:

There is many bugs and slow to use it and also having a lagging

Savanah
Analyst in US
Legal Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Dis is fun

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It's very user friendly and able to keep different channels separated

Cons:

Can pop up on launch automatically, constantly searching for updates when it just updated

Joshua
Administrator in US
Graphic Design, 2–10 Employees

Why Discord is the pinnacle of the more 'niche' online social scene

Comments: Discord is where all of my social interactions happen, where all of the most important events of my life transpire, and where I can cultivate my social circle the way I want using tools that allow me to take anyone from everywhere in the world, and speak to them not as a physical entity, but someone with a soul and feelings; the rawest sense of who you are as a person, your personality. I think this manages to take a lot of the domestications that life throws at us and filter them out, and I think that it produces an environment where more real, less fake friends can truly be made. This app has changed my life, and I really don't know what I would do without it. And I'm not just saying that as an admin of my own server, I'm saying it as a living, breathing person who needs love, affection, and to be recognized by others, just like everyone else. Whether or not you think you will find something within the world of the internet, just seeking friends and acquaintances out by tag or interest, there is somewhere on Discord where you can meet all the people who will see eye to eye with you; and if not, you can make that place yourself, and I assure, you, they will come.

Pros:

I like the organization of Discord. When I was a little bit younger I used to use other social media for chatting like Skype or Telegram, but they never had the utilization of servers or the ability to create your own. With Discord you can make your own server for whatever purpose you see fit, and all for completely free. It has benefits that you can reap by paying very small, negligible amounts of money monthly, and honestly, Discord is so well organized that you can replace your entire social life with it; without this program I really don't know what I would do; I live day to day trying to get by but whether it's a shared interest in a public server to chat with people around the world, gaming, streaming, or being close with friends and family, Discord is absolutely necessary for everything that makes up the bulk of the things I care about most in my day to day life. It can serve any kind of social purpose you intend, and beyond. It's often advertised as 'the gamer' version of social media, and rightly so. Anybody who's anybody should know how to use this program; it might seem a little odd at first, but it's really not rocket science.

Cons:

There can be times where the API is suffering or the program is down for maintenance, and sometimes it does suffer a little with audio/video things between users, depending on a multitude of factors, but if you know all the tricks and use it a lot those can be circumvented. You can always guarantee if discord is having a fit on your end, it is for others as well, but it usually doesn't take long for the issue to fix itself.

Bugra
Student in Türkiye
Computer Software, Self Employed

BS_discord

Comments: I use it for voice chat while playing games with my friends. I also subscribed to forum channels.

Pros:

very usefel, we have been using with my friends for 4 years. we use when we play games. Best of speaking app

Cons:

sometimes we have connection problems, if you pc has low hardware, games is will work slow and you have low fps.

deniz
instructor in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

An amazing approach to online community

Comments: Overall, this software is a great tool to keep your community alive and and also expand it easily if you desire.

Pros:

This software is amazing at keeping community together, engaged, and communicated.

Cons:

I always want this software bring a new tool where users can easily find the existing groups rather than looking for invitation links in somewhere else.

Ziyad
CEO in Egypt
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

My personal opinion after 3 years of use

Comments: The Discord stage is basically worried about the players, and hence it offers the player to connect every one of the stages he uses to the Discord stage. Interfacing various stages or game drivers to the Discord stage gives various benefits as indicated by the organization. Despite the fact that Discord is a stage pointed essentially at players, the sound quality And the video communicated through it is extraordinary, and you can likewise have the number you need to talk with practically no limitations, and this makes it a reasonable stage for business discussions, however the application wouldn't fret or bring on any issue assuming you choose to utilize it in gatherings

Pros:

I preferred the inward look, the symbols, the manner in which it was customized, and the speed of reaction. Disunity I loved that it doesn't crash during use However, the application is totally free contrasted with Teamspeak, which has paid designs to convey Maya Internet IP address for clients, security from DDoS assaults The capacity to make servers and permit admittance to explicit devices for explicit individuals inside the server , The chance of making and sorting out channels inside the server is limitless The application likewise permits game engineers to make their own servers from which to make and join multiplayer games and gatherings of players and assist with giving a review design inside the actual server. There is a particular arrangement of believed servers that right now support this and this help will be extended later on The Discord application didn't stop at offering its types of assistance to players just, however stepped up to the plate and gave admittance to engineers and proprietors of utilizations and games to help the voice calling administration dependent on Discord. Up to this point, the Discord application permits signing in to great many applications and destinations, and supports showing game data through locales or applications.

Cons:

The explanation I try to avoid Discord is the helpless security of the application. The voice talk application, Discord, is presented to numerous malware, and albeit the stage is It is for the most part utilized by gamers, however this time the new malware issue is focusing unavailable clients and this isn't the initial occasion when a correspondence application has been uncovered Discord has been connected to a security issue, with various reports arising since its dispatch showing that the visit administration stage is progressively being manhandled, among them Infection with a hazardous Trojan, which designated clients last April, to take their passwords and afterward spread this equivalent malware to the casualties' companions consequently. The infection, which circled by means of the application stage to attempt to fool clients into downloading the XMRig cryptominer malware

Ozone
Full Stack Developer in Nepal
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Great Communication Tool with Amazing Features

Pros:

Discord is one of the biggest communications platforms with plenty of features for a lot of your needs. It has direct messaging, group messaging, live streaming, voice and video calls, and different communities. Before, it was mostly to attract gamers with amazing live voice communication, but its features are useful for almost any community of any kind. Setting up a server and inviting people over is pretty easy, and setting up proper roles and permission is pretty easy as well. The paid nitro subscription is also very worth it because of the higher quality streams, larger file uploads, animated banner and profile, and many other features.

Cons:

One of the main issues I've faced when using discord is that the voice channels are not responding properly when joining a voice channel. It happens once almost every 2 weeks but can be fixed with some restarts or disconnecting and reconnecting, which can be an annoying process. Properly managing moderations in large servers can also be quite difficult to understand, and you have to mess around with the roles and permissions quite a bit before understanding what is going on. As it is easy to anonymous on the application, there is also always potential for toxicity, getting distracted with messages, and other privacy issues.

Anthony
3D Artist in France
Animation, Self Employed

Great chatting software for communication and gaming

Comments: Discord is great for communication, live calls, meetings, screen sharing, with a well organized interface that will make communication even easier. But it would not be the best software for file sharing, because of it's size per file limit when uploading.

Pros:

It has been more than 8 years now that I am using Discord. I first started using it for gaming, it was much better than any in-game voice communication, the conversations are clear and separated from any sound inside the game, which was all we needed at the moment. Creating channels and organizing them is a very strong aspect in Discord, and now it has become a reference for all companies working online where you can create discussion channels for your clients, and for group members.It has great sound quality and makes meetings, calls and screen sharing very easy.

Cons:

On the other hand, if you are using Discord for internal communication inside the company you will face a main problem in files sharing. You only have a limited size for each file you send, which makes it impossible to send very high quality images or videos, and personally working in the 3D universe, file sizes are usually very big and it was hard to share work with the colleagues. Every time we had to change softwares in order to discuss huge files.

Jesús
Student in Spain
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Discord to communicate and enjoy.

Comments: Is it really positive, also, you can not find nowadays softwares that works this way for free and with such a friendly UX/IU.

Pros:

The main things that better works this software works perfectly, so as far as I am able to review, these features (voice chatting, screen sharing, etc.) have no failures or mistakes. Furthermore you can also make use of the premium mode, that improve theses functions.

Cons:

There are little things that I might not like about Discord, there could be some undesired bugs, but these are minor things that should not really be taken into account.

Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Good software gone bad

Comments: Discord essentially stole the idea of "Skype" and "Slack" and put them together, delivering a gamer-centric VOIP solution and, later, a wonderful siloed social platform.
however as it burns through money Discord resorted to push "Nitro" which brough value by pay-walling otherwise freely avilable functionality in other platforms (screen sharing, streaming, emojis, etc). leading to a poor experience and slowed performance to the average user.
An alternative "Guilded.gg" does the same job better and is here to stay as they are owned and operated by Roblox Inc.

Pros:

It is the world's most popular consumer messenger It is fast, cross-platform, and reasonably secure

Cons:

- No customer protection against doxxing, harassment, or financial fraud. - Corporation is biased to leftist agenda and will engage in political election interference.

Aidan Railon
Student in Philippines
Airlines/Aviation, 51–200 Employees

After a year in Discord as a student

Pros:

Discord is easy to use and unique compared to other messaging applications. Its greatest strength is the ease of connecting with other users. Compared to other messaging applications out there, Discord is easily the best voice chatting application with the utilization of voice channels which provides a way to voice chat with others in a server without disturbing other users. Restrictions with the free version is not a hindrance since you will get the most out of its features if not all major features for free. Utilization of the text channels allows for a more organized chat since multiple text channels can be created. For gaming, this is easily the best messaging application for all. Screen Sharing while gaming is really good and no other messaging apps can even come close to.

Cons:

While I did praise its screen sharing for gaming, other than that, it is a bit janky. For situations that an application needs to be multi-windowed, Discord becomes buggy to the point where screen sharing becomes useless and unusable. Screen Sharing is crucial for educational, business, and formal meetings. With this issues, however, Discord is not ideal for educational, business, and formal meetings. However, for chatting, it is still a good application.

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A virtual hangout

Comments: I use Discord on a daily basis to talk to my friends and have a chit chat. It is my go to for a friendly chat. Wouldn't swap it out for any other.

Pros:

Discord is very easy to use. The software is intuitive and user friendly. You can control the bit rate in voice channels which makes it easier for people with bad signal to communicate. Discord servers are great for community hangouts or friend hangouts. Many software and games have their own community servers in Discord. Moderation is easier and roles can be assigned to people and the things a person can do can be divided into roles. Discord is great for having a chit chat with others and community engagement but I can't really see it being used in a professional environment.

Cons:

Uploads are limited unless you buy nitro. Nitro, in my opinion is mainly cosmetic, but the upload size limit can be annoying at times. The compression algorithm can definitely be better as the way I've seen it TeamSpeak has audio compression.

Rodrigue
Rodrigue
Project Manager in Cameroon
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

The perfect free sotfware for communicating and sharing

Comments: The platform is perfect for managing your communication, it facilitates the sharing of hyperlinks, files in different formats, communication

Pros:

Instant messaging compatible with Windows, MacOs and mobile operating systems. It allows you to share data, files and links. It also allows the integration of artificial intelligence software that generates perfect quality images. The platform is totally free

Cons:

Although it is clear, the interface is not very intuitive. It takes a while to get the hang of all the functions

Henry
CEO in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Discord is the Place to Be

Comments: Discord should be used by any business with 20+ employees. This can be a place that bridges communication between varying levels of authority, and open the door to beneficial candor. I wouldn't recommend using this to market products, but it can also be a place for a business to interact with their consumer base on a more formal level.

Pros:

As having been both a moderator and Server owner, I have spent countless hours organizing this social space--creating channels and adjusting settings--so that fellow members can seamlessly interact with each other over a variety of topics pertinent at the time. For example, they can enter a general discussion Channel, or enter a Channel made specifical to answering questions. This makes Discord highly unique, and extremely versatile.

Cons:

To this day, I still do not completely understand the benefit of paying for specific 'Pro' level features of the platform. There is also confusion as to how the value of the purchase is accessed, as there are certain 'levels' of purchase engagement to consider.

Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

An amazing messaging platform

Pros:

Discord allows users to quickly connect, message, and video call each other. The customizability of servers and roles within the server allow for easy user management and organization. The video calls and screen sharing also make collaboration every easy.

Cons:

Discord Nitro and having to pay for certain features (larger images, higher quality screensharing, etc.) can be annoying at times, especially when they have pop-ups to try and get you to purchase it.

Ringard
Cybersecurity Architect and Consultant in France
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

Discord Team Review

Pros:

What i like the most about discord is the use. It's very simple, efficient. Never have a real problem. Moreover, it's been like 10 years that i'm using discord (pro or not) and i can say that i suffer about 3 problems. Discord is very reactive about this point.

Cons:

Maybe more personnalization ( can choose the name that we want for our chat ( Cplus plus for C++, it's a detail). The price for the nitro is something that's i think, is not totally justified. The free Version of discord is incredible. The paid version need more pros to be very satisfying

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

A helpful platform for community servers

Comments: I've been using Discord to provide customer support for different software that use Discord as a community platform. The features they provide are really helpful, e.g. when the are "raids" on servers, Discord provides helpful safety features to stop these "raiders".

Pros:

Join multiple servers, they allow you to develop Discord bots, you can customize your server and/or group chat to add privacy to your conversations, add roles, add permissions depending on the user, add safety features, and more.

Cons:

It's a free app, although there are some "inside app subscriptions" that in my personal opinion, they are too expensive to what they offer. It's not worth it at all.