15 years helping British businesses

About Adobe InDesign

Cloud-based tool that provides businesses with tools to create graphic designs and streamline marketing operations.

Learn more about Adobe InDesign

Pros:

Cons:

The expense and Adobe's inability to play nice with operating systems has always been a pain, and an expensive one.

Adobe InDesign ratings

4.1
4.2
4.7
4.2

8.7/10

Adobe InDesign has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 273 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Adobe InDesign before?

Justin
Justin
Owner in US

Adobe InDesign: An industry standard, for so many reasons

Comments: I literally couldn't function as a business owner without it. Even the 'cons' I listed are not critical. I often start and end my projects in InDesign, even if Photoshop and Illustrator are a part of the process. Highly recommended for those looking for an industry best practice!

Pros:

I primarily use this product for page layout. From brochures to booklets to single page flyers. I've even started using it recently to create vector art. This latter use case shows how InDesign has evolved over the years to further integrate with other Adobe products. InDesign is also very user friendly and allows me to seamlessly make edits to documents on the fly and turn around new drafts for clients within minutes.

Cons:

This is not so much an InDesign-specific issue. Rather, an Adobe products issue. I continue to struggle with the fact that Adobe organizes tools, filters, etc. differently between each of the primary programs (Illustrator; InDesign; Photoshop). It makes sense that each software has its own unique tool set. But for the tools where there is apples-to-apples crossover, it would be helpful if they could be found within the same navigation dropdown.

Janice
Marketing Specialist in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

I use InDesign on a daily basis

5.0 last month New

Comments: I use InDesign almost every single day of the week. Have been very happy with all of it and InDesign help is very good at helping me to solve and learn new avenues of creating.

Pros:

I love Adobe InDesign and honestly don't know where I would be without it. I love being able to seamlessly import and export with other Adobe products and also being able to create just what I need

Cons:

Nothing to report on this. Love InDesign.

Emilio
Designer in Spain
Defense & Space, 10,000+ Employees

The standard for layout designing and publishing

Comments: I love InDesign, I've been using it almost all my life. But it as time goes by it is becoming more and more outdated. Although there are new softwares more capable in many areas I'm not switching because InDesign it's the standard

Pros:

It is the most complete software for publishing and layout designing. Once you are used to it, it is capable almost of everything. There are many feature to automate repetitive task which are super convenient.

Cons:

It is becoming outdated. I find annoying the fact that you cannot open a document generated with a newer version of InDesign. Launching it is super slow even though it is not a demanding resources program. There are not many tools for digital publish layouts, and the ones that it has are outdated.

liz
User Experience Support in Australia
Architecture & Planning, 51–200 Employees

InDesign is an industry standard

Comments: I am still a user of InDesign and it has served me well for the last decade or two! Because of the cost factor, and competitors value, I will be forced to use Affinity from next month onwards :(

Pros:

InDesign is a great desktop publishing tool that I would say is quite easy to learn and serves as an amazing tool for creating documents. The memory function is definitely handy, seems to recover quite accurately after crashes.

Cons:

I think it's quite expensive. Our company has recently made the move to Affinity due to the cost factor. Would also be good to integrate with OpenAsset a bit better.

Graphic Design, 2–10 Employees

My indispensable layout king

Comments: the overall experience is better, Indesign is a software that has been able to adapt to my desires, today I can create an ebook layout in a few clicks, so if I can't let my imagination grow, that's the limit of indesign.

Pros:

Synchronized assembly of content: Shapes, images, text

Cons:

What I like most about indesing is the higher price list.

Tiara
Tiara
Founder in US
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

The Holy Grail of publishing

Pros:

Indesign is a part of Adobe Suite so it can integrate with other Adobe programs. I mostly use it in conjunction with Photoshop and Lightroom. Indesign also feature many customizable layouts to create beautifully curated print designs.

Cons:

Large files can become an issue if you don't have a computer with sufficient storage space. Also, because of the large files, exporting can be very time consuming. External storage may be necessary.

Stéphanie
Communication officer in France
Arts & Crafts, 11–50 Employees

Indesign review

5.0 last month New

Pros:

All the necessary tools to edit and create documents are available in this software.

Cons:

I'am totally satisfied of Adobe Indesign

Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Higher Education User Review of More than 6+ Years

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I like how Adobe InDesign is fully integrated into the Adobe Suite (Adobe Creative Cloud). After you learn to navigate the tool, the ability to create high-level content that has reliable access, several import/exporting mediums, and access to various assets is a major plus for InDesign.

Cons:

There is a bit of a learning curve with Adobe InDesign. You don't need to necessarily pay for training as there are numerous free trainings and DIY videos to learn from.

Tessa
Marketing Specialist in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Might Not Be Easy, But It's Just What We Need!

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I love Adobe InDesign because there is SO much we're able to do in terms of design. There are hundreds of thousands of possibilities when it comes to designing in InDesign, and it is so worth every penny!

Cons:

Adobe InDesign is complex, and the complexity can make it difficult to do things the way you'd like to. If there was an option to find a simpler way to do things it would make our work quicker and easier.

Emma
Camp Care in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Great product

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Exemplary product for creating publications! The ability to fine tune all typography settings is wonderful.

Cons:

The CC subscription price is higher than I can justify for personal work. Otherwise I would own it on all of my computers.

arnauld
graphisme in Togo
Animation, 2–10 Employees

adobe in styling

Comments: the overall user experience with Adobe InDesign is positive and the software is considered a tool of choice for layout design and publishing

Pros:

Export features for print and digital publishing that create interactive PDFs, EPUBs, and interactive digital publications.

Cons:

Resource Consumption: Adobe InDesign is a resource-intensive software, which means it requires a powerful computer to run efficiently. Older computers or computers with lower specs may have trouble running InDesign smoothly.

Robin
graphic designer in US
Graphic Design, 2–10 Employees

A reluctant fan of InDesign

Pros:

I was a very reluctant convert to InDesign having been a Quark XPress user for many years. Though it took a while, I can now say I am a happy InDesign user. My favorite feature is the way it works so seamlessly with other Adobe products and fonts. I use master pages, automatic page numbering, layers, libraries, color swatches, and effects on a regular basis, all of which make my job easier.

Cons:

When I first started using InDesign, I found it a bit awkward to use. It didn't work smoothly and reminded me of Pagemaker back in the day. However, in the past several years, Adobe has made a lot of improvements which erased my original objections. I can't say that I have any complaints.

Barry
Corporate Director, Marketing and Communications in US
Plastics, 201–500 Employees

A great program for print design and layout

Pros:

Indesign has just about every tool you'd need to create any type of print layout. I've done simple cards all the way through complete books and Indesign fits the need very well.

Cons:

Like other Adobe software, there is a pretty big learning curve, and it is EXPENSIVE.

Sam
Designer in US

Layout design made easy

Comments: When it comes to multi-page layouts and designs, Adobe InDesign has tremendously improved my productivity. To come up with the greatest layouts for my designs, I can easily align text and develop different styles. When designing on a larger scale, InDesign definitely comes in handy. I also really like the guides and alignment options that InDesign has to offer.  While its shortcuts and user interface appear to be less intuitive than Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, it is still an incredibly useful program that can be used in conjunction with other Adobe programs. I think it's a must-have for the majority of designers.

Pros:

For me, InDesign has been quite beneficial with the work I do. It's arguably the Adobe product I use more than any other option.  When it comes to layouts, InDesign is far superior to Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. The amount of guidelines and item snapping are two of Adobe InDesign's biggest strengths. When aligning text and photos, for example, all of the elements snap into place and effortlessly align with each other. InDesign also makes it simple to generate new spreads and pages, as well as rearrange them if the layout needs to be changed.  When I'm trying out different design possibilities on a spread and need to experiment with different widths and page orientations, InDesigns alternative layouts feature comes in handy.

Cons:

InDesign accomplishes a lot of things effectively, but it has one major flaw: its shortcuts and features differ significantly from those of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. These inconsistencies irritate me because I have to continuously halt and consider which program I'm using. Anchor points with the pen tool in InDesign interact differently than anchor points in other Adobe programs. More uniformity between Adobe applications is something I'd like to see more of.

Ruffin
Operations Mgr in US
Printing, 2–10 Employees

Incredibly powerful graphic layout software

Comments: I have been using this software for over 10 years and at this point I am so comfortable and accustomed to using InDesign that I no longer use basic text-editing software like MS Word. The software is definitely geared towards graphic arts and publication professionals so it is not an easy software to learn per se, but in my experience it's capabilities and functionality are unparalleled.

Pros:

InDesign is an incredibly powerful and capable software for graphic/print design layout. It is designed to integrate with the other Adobe Creative Cloud (formerly Creative Suite) software (primarily Illustrator and Photoshop) and for the most part it integrates seamlessly when used correctly. There's an endless amount of tutorials, guides, and troubleshooting available online so it can be easy to figure things out on your own if you're already somewhat familiar with the software. There are also lots of paid and free plug-ins and scripts available online that can expand InDesign's functionality for specific needs.

Cons:

One of the biggest qualms with InDesign is that it is currently only available as a subscription model. This can make it more affordable for users who only need access for a short period, but power users who use the software regularly will need to plan on paying for a subscription for the entire time they need the software. While the subscription model allows for regular update releases, that can be problematic when dealing with files that were generated from software versions different than your own.

Marija
Marija
Geaphic Designer in Serbia
Design, 2–10 Employees

Best Layout and Publishing software for proffesionals

Comments: Adobe InDesign is easy to work with once you get a hang of it. I also have Adobe CC so it is my go to for 99% of all of the publishing and printing projects.

Pros:

Adobe InDesign is NOT an easy drag and drop software, and as such it takes some time to master it, but if you do you will get all encompassing tool for printing and publishing. It offers all the functions to make your designs work in almost any scenarios. Master pages are amazing time savers so you don't need to copy and paste repeating elements on each and every page of your book, magazine or brochure. You can also setup automatic page numbering, chapter naming or Table of contents, which are all huge time savers. It is the best software for text editing especially for the large text blocks like books or magazines.

Cons:

Adobe InDesign's biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness, it should be used as a part of Adobe Creative Cloud collaborative tools, which means if you need Photo Editing or Vector Editing and design you will need to that in Photoshop because these tools are non existent in InDesign. So if you are looking to by cheap software you need to look somewhere else, this is not for you. In order to unlock all of the powerful tools you need to have all of Adobe's Creative Cloud suite of applications.

Melanie
Melanie
Graphic designer in Spain
Graphic Design, Self Employed

As a graphic design student...

Comments: I am very happy, I hope that every year they get better and better, and that this program reaches its full potential. Thank you Adobe.

Pros:

I'll just be honest, I'm in love with Indesign, thanks to this program I found my passion for editorial design. I don't understand how many people don't like to use it, or simply aesthetically speaking, it doesn't appeal to them. For me it is the opposite, I am very happy with the way it is organized, visually it has a clean and spacious look that does not interrupt you with what you are designing, I like the default work tables, the tools you have to streamline the work of the layout designer, etc. 10/10

Cons:

I don't like that automatically the quality of the images is lower than the original, because it is difficult to know if the image is like that because of performance or because the image is really in very low quality, but I understand that it is a way to speed up the performance of the file.

Alessio
Digital Marketing Specialist in Italy
Furniture, 11–50 Employees

I can't imagine my life without it

Comments: I have been using it for several years now and several improvements have been made over time, but the initial basis remains the same. From brochures, to catalogs, to the preparation of visual elements for the web, InDesign will always accompany you with mastery. One of the things I like the most are the frames, very quick to use and that no one (I don't understand why) doesn't try to imitate: I literally do everything with them and the drag and drop feature.

Pros:

Software for the management of catalogs and brochures and so on, but also web based products. The different features that characterize it have made it a pillar of the publishing sector over the years. The various shortcuts that are part of the Adobe suite make it agile in every situation. I couldn't work without a tool like this.

Cons:

In large files it stops and slows down, even with very powerful computers. A pity for a software that is supposed to handle quite large workflows like big catalogs.

Lina
Freelance Graphic Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Great industry standard with room for improvement

Comments: Very positive usability experience that I cannot imagine my daily work without. A must have for every level of designer.

Pros:

This is a great industry standard software, that is a must for every designer. I like it compatibility with other adobe programs and if you know how to use one of them, like Photoshop, transitioning to indesign is quite easy. It is hard to pinpoint my favourite feature, because to be completely honest, it has everything you need to create print ready artwork. It doesn't require any additional plug ins or paid features, it just is a completely fully functioning program.

Cons:

I think it could benefit from having an option for a very minimal image editing feature. Since all the adobe programs connected, I wish you could change the image from RGB to CMYK straight in InDesign instead of opening it in photoshop. It's a small step, but something that every designer has to do to make print ready designs.

duncan
owner in UK
Publishing, Self Employed

Best layout software

Comments: since first using indesign i have found it the best and being from adobe the tools and shortcuts are all familiar

Pros:

ease of use and fully functional does everything i need

Cons:

would like to see the ability to add a + sign to features like leading on the fonts

Sian
Stage & Programme Manager in UK
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

An Industry Standard piece of software that stands well above any 'free' software

Comments: I use ID to create publications, company documents for clients, social media images and many documents ready for print.

Pros:

As part of the creative suite, it's just the right thing to use for setting, design and publications. There's really nothing to compare it to. Automatic updates are great and keeps the software moving forward

Cons:

Nothing really. It does what it should all the time

Computer Software, Self Employed

Why should you use Adobe InDesign today ?

Comments: I used it a year ago to print documents and some of my designs, as everyone advised me to use it for ease of handling.

Pros:

One of the strongest and best features that Adobe InDesign has are the fonts, the amount of beauty in the forms of texts is indescribable, some of them use them in book covers, and some of them in designing images ,posters and interactive PDFs, so it is not without its use when it comes to texts. The beauty of the program is also that you can change and modify very quickly on your work, so you will save time for yourself. There is not much difference between Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop in this area, but Adobe InDesign has tools, menus and features ready to create this type of designs more easily and more effectively, so time will be on your side. Ease of dealing with the program is an excellent point as I noticed that the new people who entered the design,they started in this program because it is easy to deal with unlike other programs. There is a free trial for 7 days, you can dive and explore the program, and it also works on Mac OS or Windows.

Cons:

Editing in InDesign is more difficult. When formatting text, you notice that there is extra and sometimes missing space, it takes a little effort to balance it. The trial period in the past was 30 days, now it is 7 days, this does not give enough time to try it, because it is a bit expensive.

Michelle
owner in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Adobe InDesign - the gold standard for publishing

Comments: Fabulous

Pros:

It is sophisticated but still user friendly. Not too complex; easy to use!

Cons:

Would be awesome to have a chat feature somewhere for support

Lucas
Lucas
Project Manager in US
Higher Education, 11–50 Employees

The market leader, with all the love and disgust that that position generates

Comments: We use InDesign as part of our publishing suite to create books and curricular components.

Pros:

One of the most significant advantages of InDesign is its integration with the Creative Cloud suite. That relates to its biggest disadvantage: price (see below). But the ability to link to Illustrator or Photoshop files, and have those linked files update in InDesign when they're edited, is powerful. Even though crashes are actually not uncommon, the attention to detail with which the program is crafted gives the sense that this is a high-quality, thoughtful, and competent program. I love the layers of automation and workflow efficiency baked in, even though I don't use nearly all of them.

Cons:

Biggest drawback: subscription pricing. It's worth it for work, probably, though I keep wondering if Serif's products aren't a good alternative. Also, Adobe interfaces can be clunky in general. I'm personally not a fan of the Touch interface that Adobe volunteers for my laptop.

Jacob
Jacob
Creative Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

What everyone uses for layout, for better or worse

Pros:

When laying out text, images, preparing documents for printing, and making mass changes across a document, InDesign is fantastic and very intuitive and fluid. The fact that so many people within the design field use this software, makes sharing and inheriting files from other people relatively stress-free.

Cons:

There are many quirks and functionality issues that come into play depending on your project. For example, we deal with importing tables into documents on a regular basis and InDesign is very particular about how those can be imported and implemented.