15 years helping British businesses

Microsoft Word Reviews

4.7 (2,138) Write a Review!

About Microsoft Word

Document software that enables users to generate and publish documents, collaborate with team members, and more.

Learn more about Microsoft Word

Pros:

Its also integrated with Teams so that may be something that is useful to your work.

Cons:

This can be overruled using ctrl, but it can still be annoying.

Microsoft Word ratings

4.6
4.2
4.7
4.4

9.0/10

Microsoft Word has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 2,138 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft Word before?

Filter reviews (2,138)

Gary
Gary
Owner in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Reliable Document Tool: Microsoft Word's Value

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Microsoft Word is my go-to for all document needs. Its user-friendly interface and familiar tools make creating and formatting documents a breeze. I appreciate its stability and compatibility across devices, ensuring seamless collaboration. From basic letters to complex reports, Word simplifies the process, helping me stay organized and productive.

Cons:

"Occasional formatting challenges can arise."

Evelyn
Evelyn
Intern in the teaching and learning process in the school in Ecuador
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Word a tool for everyone

Comments: Word has allowed me to make important files during my academic studies, it is very easy to use, it has a series of tools that improve the presentation of the document, it also helps us to ensure that our tasks do not have spelling errors.

Pros:

One of the advantages of word is that it has many tools that allow users to create creative files and with an excellent presentation, you can develop several research papers quickly and the best thing is that it has an autocorrector that allows you to know if a word is well written and avoid misspellings.

Cons:

The cost of word is very high compared to other applications that offer the same for free, in addition to this for some people it can be very difficult to understand how to use word so they prefer other applications with a much simpler handling.

Andreea
Teacher in Romania
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Best document creation tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, Microsoft Word is a real help in document creation and editing. Sharing the documents via cloud with others ia easy witch makes collaboration faster.

Pros:

Creating documents from zero is very easy. Formating large documents is made easy by microsoft. Storing the documents in the cloud ea se the job of sharing and colaborating with different departments.

Cons:

Sometimes formatting a document is a little hard.

Shea
Owner CEO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Horrible Unreliable Program

1.0 last month New

Pros:

Nothing, this software is literally from h#$%

Cons:

This software is not reliable, I've been writing a book - and I saved my file. When opening the file the next day, large sections were deleted randomly throughout the book, and 9 pages of information were missing, scattered. I had to re-piece together what sections were even missing, and now I have to write them entirely from scratch again. Autosave feature will not work, and no autosaved files were stored even with all those features turned on. The program is highly unreliable and I wouldn't recommend anyone to trust this platform.

Alyssa
Veterinary Technician in St Kitts & Nevis
Veterinary, 11–50 Employees

Big Microsoft Fan

Pros:

I love the storage feature of Microsoft Word. I have years worth of lectures, and important documents in their storage. In comparison the other companies, you get a bang for your buck with Microsoft Word.

Cons:

Sometimes the tabs are difficult to use, and difficult to find actions to do. But a simple google search fixes that and I have never not been able to complete a task.

Baylie
Assistant in St Kitts & Nevis
Veterinary, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use!!

Comments: Great! Recommend everyone use it and if you have data sets, use the Microsoft Excel

Pros:

Easy to use. I use it daily for documents, paperwork, tables, organizing different types of information. Color code things, highlight, etc. It is by far the best app. to use to stay organized with all different types of information.

Cons:

I have no bad things or cons to say about microscoft word

Abideen
Senior Research Fellow in Nigeria
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

Microsoft Word; A Veritable Tool for Report Writing

5.0 last week New

Comments: I have been using Microsoft Word for two decades. It has proven to be an indispensable software for my research work

Pros:

It is very effective and efficient with many features for report writing and desktop publishing

Cons:

I don't have any reservations about recommending the software to anybody. It has all the necessary facilities for report writing.

Jae-Lin
Student in Canada
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed

Great for students

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Cheap for a one time buy - cant beat the price. Its great for papers and easy to transfer to PDF files

Cons:

constant logging in if im not on my app on my computer

Olivia
CEO in Canada
Retail, 2–10 Employees

We use what we know

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I’m familiar with it and it works as it should.

Pros:

I’ve been using word for years and I feel more adept at using it then any other document processing program

Cons:

It would be nice to allow this doc type to flow into others more seamlessly

cristiane
proprietário in Brazil
Food & Beverages, Self Employed

Super easy

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I love Word and I can't live without it because it makes my work a lot easier

Pros:

I like the ease and countless document templates

Cons:

The only thing that could be better is the price we paid

Don
SEO Specialist in US
Internet, 501–1,000 Employees

Can't live without Microsoft Word

Comments: I am an old school user of Word and a big fan. I have taken advanced courses to learn all about the lesser known features and have implemented tools such as mailings to send letters to clients. While I am a hardened fan of Word, I also enjoyed getting the free version that came with a PC or the $10 copy that you could buy with the now defunct Home Use Program. Still I shelled out the money with my last laptop purchase to get it. But as I approach the time to buy a new laptop, I am not sure that I can't make due with Google Docs. We'll see.

Pros:

I love the ease use of Microsoft Word. You can open the software begin typing and save your document. Everything else is like gravy. Truthfully it is a lot more than that but the Windows concept is used in most other software that makes Word intuitive even if you have never used it. Since I have a version saved on my laptop I often use Word to format documents using tables, inserting shapes, messing with fonts and colors. It is simple to insert photos or images saved on your pc. Part of the power of Word is you can set up templates that allow you to use the same formatting throughout a document or for multiple documents. If you are not a talented designer, Microsoft provides lots of premade templates and forms that you can use or modify from business cards and invitations to a resume and cover letter. I use these all the time and just update colors.

Cons:

I have started to get used to the sharing and saving features of Google Docs and they are not as good on Word. My laptop battery does not last long and every time I unplug, my files get autosaved and I have to waste a lot of time sorting them out. As an advanced user of Microsoft Word, I can tell you the drawing and formatting capability on Word is challenging. It can be hard to move an image or chart around on the page without first creating a table or other work around. It is also impossible to use the full page without some type of margin.

benjamin
Forensic Examiner in US
Public Safety, Self Employed

Completing reports in a timely manner with Word.

Comments: Word is ubiquitous. Everyone uses it, and most legal documents are set in Word.

Pros:

There are core functionality aspects in Word not offered by other processors.

Cons:

I would appreciate the ability to customize the ribbon and toolbox more. I have certain functions I often use in tandem and have to switch between tabs to edit one piece of text, then switch to another.

Karla Brigitte
University Intern in Ecuador
Pharmaceuticals, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Unleashing Creativity and Productivity with Microsoft Word

Comments: Microsoft Word was a key component of our everyday operations while I was an intern in the university's pharmaceutical product development and research department. For writing research papers, producing scientific reports, and putting together presentations, we used it a lot. We were able to create documents with professional-looking layout and editing, effortlessly integrating tables, figures, and citations. Features like Track Changes made it easier for our research team to collaborate by letting us quickly examine and take criticism into account. Our workflows were also made easier by the integration of Microsoft Word with other Microsoft Office programs since we could quickly integrate data from Excel and present conclusions in PowerPoint. For our documentation and communication needs in the realm of pharmaceutical research, Microsoft Word has proven to be a crucial tool.

Pros:

There are many benefits to using Microsoft Word. First off, it offers a complete collection of capabilities for producing, formatting, and editing documents, making it the preferred word processing program for private users, companies, and academic institutions. Users can navigate and operate effectively because to the user interface's intuitive design and well-known functionality. With the many formatting options available, it is possible to create documents with advanced layout and design elements. Features like Track Changes and Comments make collaboration easy by enabling several people to review and update the same document simultaneously. Workflows are streamlined and efficiency is further increased through integration with other Microsoft Office programs like Excel and PowerPoint. Additionally, Microsoft Word's compatibility with a variety of file types makes it simple to share and collaborate with users of other office products.

Cons:

Despite all of its benefits, Microsoft Word has certain drawbacks. First off, the program is not free; it must be purchased separately or as part of the Microsoft Office package. Additionally, new users may find the vast array of functions and settings daunting and may need some time and training to fully operate the software. Opening documents written in other word processing programs occasionally results in formatting issues that may need to be manually corrected. Additionally, working with huge documents or intricate layouts may have an impact on the software's speed, resulting in sporadic latency or slowdowns.

MIRANDA
Stay at home parent / jewelry beader in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

User friendly no matter level of expertise and great features!

Comments: I have been organizing my business as well as my life and personal goals using Microsoft word. I had no idea I could find such useful features like grocery lists or household schedules or bill pay tables to help me organize my life and get my family running smoothly at the same time as my business. I've been a lifelong user of Microsoft word and I've only continued to enjoy my experience it's only gotten better.

Pros:

The most impactful feature for me was the ability to work offline and have basically total access to my past and current projects and documents. Another vital feature to my business as well as just everyday life are all of the extra templates, themes, fonts, designs and tutorials available online that are easily and seamlessly integrated into the app. You literally click one button or link, search for what you need or browse, download and voila! Start creating your new resume or cover letter or even product labels to print out ! This app works just as great on my laptop as my tablet. The smartphone version is simpler but they are all totally in sync and definitely they must have for any kind of business person or student or anyone with kids anything like that I don't know what I would do without Microsoft word .

Cons:

I feel like there could definitely be MORE fonts and design like features. Even with the linked online database there's a need for more design aspect especially if you're not familiar with how do you do things from scratch using Microsoft word. Otherwise there's not a whole lot I just like about word I wish it was cheaper or that the free version was as fully accessible as the paid version that can be frustrating.

Tureen Punit
Tureen Punit
Data Engineer and DBA in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Decent software for managing documents with an ease

Comments: Microsoft Word is my to-do software for creating documents and other promotional materials like flyers, brochures, newsletters, etc. The customizable templates provided by Microsoft Word are of great help especially when I am out of ideas. I absolutely adore the number of features and fonts it has. The offline editing of Microsoft Word helps save my day especially when no internet is available.

Pros:

Microsoft Word is undoubtedly the best software for creating and managing documents with ease. It comes with a number of different customizable templates that can help a user create birthday party invitations, bookmarks, traditional newspapers, and newsletters in a jiffy. Microsoft Word lets a user create documents quickly without any hassle, store them in one place, collaborate with others, and edit them offline.

Cons:

I love using Microsoft Word for creating newsletters, reports, etc very conveniently. It can however be overwhelming at times because of the features present in it. Plus there is always a fear of losing data unless you save it. But overall it is great software for the purpose of document management.

Internet, 501–1,000 Employees

MS Word is the lifeblood of my professional journey

Comments: Neutral.

Pros:

Ease and familiarity of use and the assurance that everyone in professional circles who receives a document made on MS Word will be able to access it and edit it with the right permissions.

Cons:

If the computer crashes or shuts down by mistake the files not saved as per process always get lost and the recovery options are not always suggested even in professional paid versions of MS Word.

Hallsy
Counselor/Graduate Student in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Microsoft Word for Counselors and Graduate Students

Comments: Microsoft Word has assisted me in reviewing and creating documents since I could type to graduating a Master's level program in counseling. Microsoft Word has allowed me to expand on many ideas through its ease of creating and saving important documents. It's auto-recover button has saved me many times from sleepless nights of re-creating a lost document.

Pros:

Microsoft Word is a creative format to create, store, and export important documents such as client notes, classwork, or materials being shared with other professional colleagues. It easily allows users to transport their documents through sharing and email capabilities. It assists students in checking over their documents before they are reviewed by professors.

Cons:

I believe Microsoft Word could improve by having immediate saving such as Google Docs or easily being able to share documents with another Microsoft user with a sharing tab/button.

Gregory
Translator in Poland
Translation & Localization, Self Employed

Not great, not bad, but you don't have much choice anyway

Comments: Let's be honest, we all use Word because we have to. There is no real alternative, certainly not in the business world. Overall, Word is 'not bad', and it has improved somewhat over the years ('two steps forward, one step back'), but it is not exactly 'wow.' In some sense I think Word would be easier to use if it were simpler, and if some of the more complex formatting options were spun off into a Publisher-type application for DTP.

Pros:

Word has an extensive range of features, tools, and options that allow you to do almost anything imaginable with documents. As a translator, it an absolutely essential tool for my work. As all my clients (and essentially everyone) also use Word and Office formats, I have no doubt that the files I send and receive can be opened, read, and edited without any problem. I would also say that over the years, Word has improved and become easier to use and more reliable (if only somewhat).

Cons:

As a translator, I have two big issues with Word: 1) It does not seem to understand that one document can be in multiple languages at the same time. As such, the 'automatically detect language' feature can be counterproductive, forcing me to highlight text and set the language manually. This seems like it would be a rather easy issue to fix. A similar issue occurs when I type a document in one language while my keyboard is set to another. 2) Complex formatting in Word is often a big pain in the butt. It took me months (even years) to figure out how to efficiently fix certain formatting issues that I encounter on a daily basis (in OCR'ed legal documents). In this case, I think Word tries to be all things to all people (i.e., both 'simple and easy to use' and 'powerful and precise'), which never really works. I should not have to enter measurements in centimeters and millimeters for each paragraph or edit complex styles and templates in order to achieve consistent formatting.

Writing & Editing, 51–200 Employees

The only word processing tool I use

Comments: I have used the Microsoft suite for a straight 10+ years now, from my early school days to my workplace. Unless a better writing tool gets created, I will use Microsoft Word forever. The functionalities are advanced, and it has a great design template and dynamic data. I love cloud-native tools. Maybe I might be biased about how great the software is since It's practically all I have used since my teenage years(I have tried other software). The integration between word and outlook is effortless. I can send emails to clients faster. But technology is growing, and there are now free options like Google Docs that provide similar features. That might be a problem for Microsoft since it’s so expensive!

Pros:

The software responds well to commands, best for reading and writing documents. Being a writer means that you typically do not have time to save every new idea every second, so having automatic save makes life so much easier for me - and unexpected load shedding doesn't affect my work. Features that are Grammarly-like, offline components ensure your work is error-free. The software can collaborate with other software like Adobe Acrobat, which is a plus if I need to submit work in pdf format. I love how the software is improving every year. There are always new features that make the use of the application easier. My favorite function is the word search tool, especially when there is a suspicion of plagiarism in my articles.

Cons:

I hardly have anything horrible to say about the program, although that may be the case; there are a few things that Microsoft can do to help make it more assessable for everyone. 1. There are too many technical bugs in the converting function for people who work heavily with PDF files. 2. Not that simple to use, Microsoft can try to make the software a bit simpler. 3. The program is just overall expensive, especially now that there’s Google Docs, there is a chance people will leave Microsoft for Google Docs.

Augustine
Freelancer in Italy
Computer Software, Self Employed

Why you should use Word daily

Comments: There hasn't been a single day in the last decade when I haven't used a Word document to create streamlined files and fantastic reporting. Word is a very powerful software that is used as the primary software programme by all organisations, schools, students, church groups, financial institutions, and individuals; for this, you also invited to take advantage of this great digital tool and equally learn to keep up with this age. Word has been simple and effective, especially for clerical officials, educational and research firms, and students who use Word to complete their daily tasks and provide great job productivity.

Pros:

Word is a great document management software of the Microsoft collections, easy to manipulate through to give your best file an attractive read. With its endless templates that offer task-free designs for whatever document you are creating and with a program-friendly interface to easily and quickly navigate through. Adding images, arts, wonderful reference and layout tools and great add-ins makes document preparations and as well as customization simple for both novices and experts. As a consistent user, I’m greatly optimistic about the outstanding attributes of this software which allow anyone to be successful in whatever document. Word will undoubtedly appeal to you. I recommend purchasing the software and getting started with a positive file creation.

Cons:

Some of the functions, in my opinion, have the potential to be more user-friendly. Incorporating a video tool could be a fantastic innovation. The weblinks are simple to insert, but if not properly specified, they result in a complete hoax. This also necessitates frequent bug fixes, as Word frequently clashes after every update. It would be nice to see the A3 print layout return in future versions. If not explicitly stated, printing these notes may result in a second page, wasting paper.

Geraldo Gana
Geraldo Gana
Administrativo in Angola
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

"Microsoft Word Review: A Powerful Tool for Creating and Managing Documents"

Comments: My overall experience with Microsoft Word is generally positive. I consider this Software to be a reliable and efficient tool for creating and editing my documents.I solve many business problems with Microsoft Word, including collaborating in real time with colleagues, creating professional and well-formatted documents, and being able to work with documents on different devices. In addition, Microsoft Word offers me compatibility with other Microsoft applications, which means that I can work with data and information in other Microsoft applications without any problems.Benefits I've noticed from using Microsoft Word include ease of use, the ability to customize documents with templates and formatting tools, and the ability to work with documents on different devices. In addition, the availability of advanced features such as document review and translation tools.In summary, my overall experience with Microsoft Word is positive, and I find it to be an efficient and reliable tool for creating and editing my documents. The ability to customize my documents, allow me to work with other Microsoft applications, and perform various documentation tasks are some of the benefits I see.

Pros:

As for the most important resources of Microsoft Word vary according to my specific needs. I value features like: advanced editing tools, real-time collaboration or offline availability more.As for ease of use, Microsoft Word I generally considered easy to use. It has an intuitive interface and clearly marked tools that make it easy for me to create and edit documents. However, the complexity of some advanced tools.As for interacting with my existing businesses, Microsoft Word is a tool I use because it is compatible with other Microsoft applications such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint. This means that interacting with other Microsoft apps is generally easy and trouble-free. However, integration with other systems can be challenging, depending on the complexity of those systems and compatibility with Microsoft Word.In short, ease of use, importance of features and interaction with existing businesses depend on my needs and preferences.

Cons:

I have different opinions about my least favorite thing about Microsoft Word. I think some features are lacking or could be improved, like the lack of advanced design features or the need for more advanced image editing tools. I also find that some aspects of the product are difficult to use, such as the need to manually transfer information between different programs or the lack of automation features.

Rudolph
Rudolph
Managing Director in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

It's Word or Nothing.

Comments: To use a colloquialism the it's the "OG" document writing software. I grew up on Microsoft word. It's my go to doc prep. I can't imagine writing documents in other application. I'm such a purist I don't even use the Google docs version. I would rather type it in Word offline, them upload it to Google sheets. It's the King for a reason. I've written papers, made flyers, typed letters for banks, proposals, and movie scripts. And the movie script format was correct!

Pros:

It's hard to name all my favorite features. I've been using this for almost 20 years. I have used so many of it's functions it's nuts. SO many templates, like legitimately almost too many. You can also download more! It's has helped me be more productive, Spell check and grammar check got me through college. I also use the automatic editing too. It just helps you write faster. So you communicate faster. You get through life faster.

Cons:

At one time I would say because I have to pay for it. After all these years I can tell you it's worth it. Hell I would pay more if I had to at this point.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Business Owner in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Exceeds Expectations & Wallets

Comments: My overall impression of Word is amazing. It's great software, made for businesses in mind, & definitely has been in the business to build a strong Brand name. However, their price shows it. I have difficulty spending the kind of cost that Microsoft Office is charging these days.

Pros:

Microsoft Word is one of the absolute best programs out there. I was able to integrate third-party apps for in-app pay. It was extremely convenient. Also, my calendar synced up with my task lists and vice versa. I didn't have to remember to do it or let my assistant know.

Cons:

This software is a little more confusing on the general interface than what the average consumer is used to seeing. However, I do have faith. People do move with the times and I'm certain it will be a memory when grandmas didn't know how to text. It's also very expensive for what you get. I do love the additional features but, to be honest, Google Workspace may have its issues, but I'd much rather deal with it than pay the cost of Word.

Gbenga
Gbenga
construction manager in Nigeria
Civil Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Microsoft's Productivity Features

Comments: Overall, Word's collaborative tools, user-friendly interface, and integration with other Microsoft applications and third-party services make it a powerful and versatile tool for a variety of tasks, from writing reports to creating presentations.

Pros:

multiple users can work on the same document simultaneously, making it ideal for group projects, team assignments, or collaborative writing. also in terms of ease of use, Word's ribbon interface is intuitive and user-friendly, making it easy to navigate the program and find specific functions. Additionally, Word's customizable quick-access toolbar allows adding frequently used commands for even quicker access.

Cons:

In terms of usability, Word's layout can sometimes feel overwhelming, with an extensive array of menus and options that can make it challenging to find specific functions. Furthermore, while Word's keyboard shortcuts can be very useful, they may not be immediately apparent to new users.

Alicia
Business Owner in Canada
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Reliable Document Management Tool

Comments: Overall it is clunky and I switched to google docs

Pros:

While this is a solid tool, technology has evolved and Microsoft word has not adapted to the change. It is user-friendly for basic document editing and has basic templates for flyers, newsletters, etc

Cons:

Products that integrate with Microsoft word are pricey and the collaboration tools are not competitive against google docs.