15 years helping British businesses

Adobe Illustrator Reviews

4.8 (8,592) Write a Review!

About Adobe Illustrator

Graphic design solution that helps businesses design logos, icons, billboards, book illustrations, and more.

Learn more about Adobe Illustrator

Pros:

If you are interested in design at all and curious to dive deeper into the world — this is the perfect tool for you.

Cons:

Occasional updates in the software can be a little frustrating as adjusting to new features can cause disruption in my work.

Adobe Illustrator ratings

4.0
4.3
4.7
4.3

8.8/10

Adobe Illustrator has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 8,592 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Adobe Illustrator before?

Filter reviews (8,592)

Samuel
Samuel
Founder and CEO in UK
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Adobe Illustrator a Vector based designing software

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Generally Illustrator is the best photo editing software after photoshop. Adobe Illustrator has a large market and you can easily find designers.

Pros:

The ease of use. The free trial. The AI features. Vector images. Collaboration. Syncing projects into Adobe Creative Cloud. Can open multiple files. Animation. Gif making. Open mulitple image files. Export into many formats.

Cons:

May be Heavyweight on a small pc. You need Adobe CC license to do more.

Sagar
Graphic designer in Nepal
Animation, 11–50 Employees

Review of Adobe Illustrator

Comments: I love Adobe Illustrator. I enjoyed this which help me to create variety of digital and printed images, charts, diagrams,logo and illustration.

Pros:

Adobe Illustrator stands out as my top pick amoung Adobe's suite of applications. I'm particularly drawn to its visually appealing interface and well-organized layout.while it may seem daunting initially,once you familiarize yourself with its features, navigating the program become intuitive and seamless.

Cons:

One aspect that i find frustrating is the occasional lagging of Adobe Illustrator.i've encountered situations where my file suddenly turns black, leaving me unable to save it a nightmare scenario.it would be beneficial if the program didn't demand such high system resources to operate smoothly.

Melissa
Architec in Ecuador
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

A good tool but expensive

3.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Is a good tool for the creativity. Is multifunctional

Cons:

Is too expensive. You can find similar programs free on internet

JACOB
CMO in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

My Favorite Gem of Adobe

Comments: It's been great. Been using for several years as the primary vector design tool. Back bone of our creative process that helps us make marketing materials and quickly organize information visually.

Pros:

Illustrator is a power house that gives designers a robust reliable tool for making scalable professional designs for print, digital, packaging, and more. Illustrator feels very scientific and logical its tools and layout. In the last year and a half the tool has gotten noticably boosted with features ranging from nice to haves to game changers. Which is rare for a tool that's been around for decades. Illustrator gives designers, marketers, and makers a system that let's them outlet their work so well into production use tmand that's incredible.

Cons:

It can take a long time to get used to this tool. It's expensive. And there's still lots of features that feel like they're missing.

Abhishek
Manager Outreach and Communication in India
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Market leader graphic designing tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have been using Adobe illustrator from last 5 years and i am extremely happy with it. I do not imagine my workday without using Illustrator. It take some time to learn this software but once you get a hang of it there is not turning back.

Pros:

This software is feature heavy that makes it perfect to work on any kind of design projects. Be it small designs for social media or a huge billboard design, it works for all. Designing illustration is very easy once you get a hang of the software and its shortcut. Once you start using it you may not want to switch to any other tool for illustration and graphic designing. There is huge library of learning resources which make it very easy to use and every problem faced here you will get 100s of solutions online.

Cons:

Learning curve is one of the major drawback with this tool. Photo editing has limited capability, little advance feature in this area can make this software all in one for graphic designing. You need high end system to run this flawlessly.

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Motion Caption

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Humans are Telekinetic channels and can polarize or amplify waves for magnetic attraction .The world of possibilities are limitless if we tap into our creative potentials. The Universe experiences retrograde motions with Planetary bodies ,as the horn like protuberances of the eastern side of the sun experiences speed and elevation of about 184,000 miles.This gives an idea of what immense force masses of gas are ejected from the sun .Scientist believe we are made of atoms that change every six months .Well what do you believe in?

Pros:

Gamma Distribution and binomial distribution used in statistical quality control and research methodology helps presentations appear much applicable to real life applications with the use of Adobe Illustrator, say understanding child psychology is pure calculus to the nth degree

Cons:

There is always room for improvements and as such the older versions of software tend to be less relevant.

Gyps
Graphic Designer in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Industry Standards

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It’s an easy way to make your designs scalable with Vecto art

Cons:

It Subscription based, Does not give you an option to purchase.

Themis
Themis
Digital marketing specialist in Greece
Furniture, 11–50 Employees

Software our graphic designer loved

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

There is nothing i like most as everything that software gives to our team are extraordinary

Cons:

You must be a very well trained graphic designer in order to use it.

I
Founder in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Adobe has been the best software for years

Pros:

Once I started to use it, it felt very intuitive

Cons:

It took a little bit of a learning curve

Lenecca
Owner in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

I Love Adobe

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My overall experience is great with using adobe

Pros:

It's great for graphics to help elevate and take your business to the next level.

Cons:

There is nothing that I do not like about Adobe

Jonathan
Executive Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

The Pro Graphic Designer's Toolkit

Comments: I use Illustrator for everything from creating logos and UI graphics to simple online posts for small businesses. The vector format is fantastic for being easily resizable without losing quality or the fine nuance of the artwork. While a bit difficult to learn, the toolset allows you do create anything you can imagine if you take the time to learn. Now, there's a growing army of competition, but in my experience, Illustrator is still the gold standard in the industry.

Pros:

Adobe Illustrator is pro software with a tremendous set of tools for vector graphics creation. Personally, I've been using Illustrator since I first started studying graphic design almost a decade ago. Each new version brings us a useful set of performance and tool improvements, but my favorite in the most recent version is the freeform gradient tool. I've always wanted for a way to place gradient points wherever I wanted, and now that's possible. I use it every day and it's speedy, highly customizable (as you'd expect from pro software), and so useful! It seems like such a simple thing, I'm surprised the feature wasn't available before.

Cons:

Like all pro software, there's a learning curve, and Illustrator is no exception. On one hand, I understand that it will take time to learn and implement new features. On the other, I wish it was easier to learn and keep up with the changing tide of graphic design.

Asfak
UX Designer in Bangladesh
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Endless possibilities for vector design

Comments: For designing Industry standard Vector graphics & working in the design world it's my go-to choice. For my client projects, I prefer Illustrator the best.

Pros:

Illustrator is the most feature-rich vector design software I've ever used. It is the industry standard & the learning curve was not that hard for me.

Cons:

The subscription model is not good enough & the price is a bit high for 3rd world countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan etc. Illsutrator requires a lot of resource to perform smoothly so my 3yrs old laptop couldn't run this well.

Design, Self Employed

Scaleable results

Comments: I have been using Illustrator for approximately three years now as a student and freelance graphic designer. I still learn new tips and tricks today that allow me to advance my skillset. Whatever issues I had or commands I couldn't figure out on my own, a simple search online has always resulted in numerous answers to the same question that others already had. Problem solving has always been easy with the software as it has become my go-to tool for graphics.

Pros:

Easy to use after some practice. The commands are approachable for a firsttime user and varied enough to fulfill the needs of a very experienced user. It is quite practically a blank canvas for vectors with which you can do anything you might need in static graphics and manipulate to your desire with a drag to copy command. After mastering the pen tool, you might find illustrator to be an alluring alternative to sketching or prototyping by hand because of how quickly things can be drawn out while still be very precise with aid of snapping/ grids. The combination of the shape tool with pathfinder allow the user to reach complexity of forms in few simple steps. It grants any user a higher level of craft without much effort. The more you use it, the more you discover. It becomes an essential tool for anyone who learns how to use it. Essentially anyone can find a reason to use Illustrator and pretty much anyone can get a hold of it within half an hour. Since it uses the same language and ecosystem, the Illustrator environment will be very familiar for anyone who has had the pleasure of playing around with Photoshop. An illustrator document also communicates well across other software for example, motion graphic, 3D modeling & printing, laser cutting, etc. It's a standard that will afford a user plenty of flexibility. If I had to choose only one design tool to depend on for the rest of my career, I would choose Illustrator.

Cons:

Some commands / tools are hard to discover until you are in dire need of them and are forced to do an online search for a solution. There are a few commands that do not match up with other software in the Adobe ecosystem which can get confusing. (i.e Indesign / Photoshop / XD). Based on your computer's GPU performance, you may get strange glitches in the rendering of a graphic when the file gets large which can make working with that file a hassle- this however does not happen very often and there still are many workarounds. Adding effects can make the file sluggish as well. Managing groups and different appearances within a group can become cumbersome as things become nested within the layers. To some degree, the user has to learn the Adobe way of doing things which may not be entirely intuitive at first but makes a lot of sense once you figure it out. For those who are new to Adobe they will have to learn to organize their filling system as assets such as a linked image can otherwise disappear from a file and must be retrieved. Unfortunately, you cannot make sweeping changes across multiple artboards, but instead must individually edit each item.

Web Developer & Graphic Designer in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Illustrator is a Professional Program and the Learning Curve and Cost Will Reflect That

Comments: When working with vectors, I go to Illustrator and have for many years and will continue to. In my estimation, it far exceeded the competitors at the time I started, such as Corel Draw (20 years ago). It continues to serve me well. For those who work with Web Design primarily, there are other vector tools that have edged their way into the market and at a fraction of the price and they do some pretty cool things. If I was was just starting our and/or had a tighter budget, I might consider them as alternatives. Illustrator is no longer the young, cool kid on the block and some of these other software packages have found supporters in younger designers, but I still think its the best overall if you have the time and resources to learn it.

Pros:

I'm a professional graphic designer, so Illustrator has been my go-to program for working with vector art for many years. Pretty much whatever you want to do in this program, you can do if you know how. It's nice that they have been able to keep up with a lot of the crossover to web needs, like the ability to export SVG files and such.

Cons:

This is a difficult question to answer because what constitutes a "con" might not actually be a con at all. It depends on your needs. I could say that it's gotten a little bloated with features I don't need, but someone else may need them and, surely, I use a lot of features that others don't need. But it does make the learning curve a bit steeper, both for newbies getting their feet wet, or experienced users using newer features. But, again, with a powerful tool comes some investment of time in learning to use it right. Similarly, cost: Adobe has sort of priced themselves out of "consumer" and into "pro-sumer" with their Ccreative Cloud. For someone like me, the price for all that great software they offer, including Illustrator, it's a good deal! For someone who doesn't need all that software (or this one in particular) as much as I do, then it might seem pricey.

Tawanda
Tawanda
CWBTS in Zimbabwe
Nonprofit Organization Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Illustrator is An extension of my hand

Comments: Illustrator is the most professional and flexible vector graphic software out there on the market. My creativity suddenly increased as i transitioned to Illustrator because the powerful features it offers allow me to fell like I'm using my freehand. Sometimes it even allows me the odd accidental design inspiration. I like the fact that you can connect it to Adobe Bridge for further functionality and automation of repetitive tasks.

Pros:

I mostly love the path finder, shape builder and expand functionality as it allows me to create unlimited complex shapes which can be single units as opposed to grouped elements. I'm a fan of monograms so this features allow me to create monograms easily no matter how complex my graphic starts out as. I like the fact that it handles scale-able vector formats exceptionally well (svg, vector, pdf). I like the arrange and distribute functions which afford me the luxury of unprecedented precision while aligning and positioning my graphics on the artboard. I especially love illustrators ability to create custom strokes and fills over graphics and be able to expand them into shapes for further manipulation. This flexibility is everything i ever wnated in a vector graphic software. The way Illustrator implements this is just right for me. I enjoy the various workspaces which suit different design professionals and their preferences. The various effects that it offers for example the arch effect allow me manipulation capabilities that extend my creativity to insane levels. Illustrator is my got to software for everything graphic even for projects that are in the bitmap domain as it handles those equally well compared to traditional raster/bitmap applications. The artboard system is another one of my favourite features espeially when exporting or alinging items based on artboard.

Cons:

It can be a put off the fact that Illustrator as a relatively steeper learning curve. The multitude of features that it offers and its workflows can be difficult to comprehend at first.

samuel
samuel
Chief Executive Officer in Nigeria
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Best Graphic Design Software for Creating Vector Graphics

Comments: Illustrator is great, perfect for Vector design, Logo creation, drawing Cartoons etc and it gets the job done and even do more. For a graphic designer, the software is recommended since there isn’t any better alternative. Once it’s features are mastered, one can easily play with the software and create something out of it.

Pros:

Adobe illustrator is a great software for Graphic Designers to add to their collection. The software is made for creating a vector graphics and it so good at it. Over the years, I have learnt to use Adobe Illustrator to create project like Cartoon and Logo designs. It is a great software and it gets the job done easily. One of the best option for using the illustrator is the vector-graphic which makes design a perfect still quality, no matter how the design’s size is adjusted, the resolution stay the same. With Adobe illustrator users can easily draw a design from scratch by mastering the Pen Tool and with tons of other tools like the Pathfinder Tool, the software made it very easy to design almost anything and even beautify it with the color guide.

Cons:

Adobe illustrator is great, no doubt one of the best drawing software out there, however the best can be too best.. if that makes sense. For beginners, Illustrator has so many complex features which are not easy to learn at all, even with knowledge of other Adobe softwares. The software is also heavy while operating, it requires a very strong PC to properly use without slowing down your operations or hang the PC while at it. Illustrator is just good for drawing, editing image isn’t recommended on the software, it lacks some basic features to edit image and working with layers on this software can be very frustrating.

Human Resources, 11–50 Employees

“It creates your imaginations visually on media”

Comments: when you look at the price, instantly you will exclaim ‘oh my gosh’. As I explained previously, there are nearly 100 million images available in adobe stock, over 12000 fonts in adobe fonts, plus all the other features to run wild with creative ideas. Who else offers so much? Therefore my opinion is a designer can always make designs that can claim a value if you are using the license of Illustrator. At the same time, with illustrator you need just a fraction of the time in doing your designs compared to some others which will keep you way behind. Illustrator is definitely for professional designers and as a professional designer, will need to use compatible hardware to get the best use of AI .

Pros:

Ai is ideal for professional Vector graphic designers. After many years of studies with the inputs of designers around the globe, Adobe has developed Ai to create almost anything that comes into billions of creative (or weird) minds. Just about anything. Once you pass the learning curve which would take months and months with all that learning material available (which is quite reasonable), then you can make your dreams visible to you and others too. But still you will learn, as there are so many developments and updates take place continuously. The Free form gradient, which is also a new addition, allows you to drop points of color which blends together to form rich color blends. Adobe font integration lets you select thousands of fonts and use the most suitable fonts that goes with the project. You just dream what you need and you get it in Illustrator creative cloud. With its three ‘snap to pixel’ options, it automatically aligns to the pixel grid the drawing, scaling and moving path and vector shapes. With their massive stock of creative resources in graphics, templates, images etc which are close to 100 million in numbers and are organized in Adobe Stock, designers can access and easily design templates for various jobs saving time for additional work. The ‘True size view’ and ‘Trim size view’ features are added benefits for the User. Features of Illustrator are endless if you look at an artist’s point of view. It can put into reality all the dreams of a creative mind

Cons:

I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment to call a wiper ‘a wiper’. The bad side of AI is it can just wipe off all other competitors in just one Illustrator stroke.

Christian Edison
Christian Edison
Publicity Committee Head in Philippines
Computer Hardware, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Adobe Illustrator Review

Comments: Adobe Illustrators is an innovative vector-based program developed for graphic design professionals. This software used algorithms to draw shapes rather than using bitmap images to store data. That's why Illustrator's vector graphics can be scaled to any size without losing their overall quality or resolution. Adobe Illustrator makes everything from company logos to informative drawings to animated designs because of this unique design. It can print illustrations, produce beautiful graphics on the website and give users full control over their typography. So, I recommend this software and it is worth it.

Pros:

1.) It provides an interface which will help the user: You have an extra degree of flexibility when working to design the entire workspace with Adobe Illustrator. Your interface makes personalized viewing possible. There is also an option to save space. Such processes allow you to work on your project in any way that is most convenient, while maintaining full control over all the options available. 2.) The Adobe Illustrator is compatible on almost any computer system: While Adobe Illustrator is not working well on mobile devices, on almost any computer system, it does an exceptional job. It can be used on Windows PCs or on items from Apple. Even from the early 2000s, if you use an older top-of - the-line option, it will work properly on older computers. 3.) It produces web and print graphics: Thanks to Adobe Illustrator, you can easily create print-ready graphics. With this tool, you can also create web graphics. It works in any screen resolution, offering a constantly updated tool set that allows you to relatively easily build professional vector graphics.

Cons:

The only disadvantage is that you need to require lots of patience. If you're planning to design something that's interesting, imaginative, and you don't need a practical dimension, then Adobe Illustrator can help you put together something in no time. If you want to build something that makes people feel positive, then you need to give yourself plenty of time to work on the project.

Braden
Marketing and Business Development Manager in US
Machinery, 11–50 Employees

A Graphic Design Must

Comments: Overall, I would rate my experience positively. I am the Marketing Manager for a small company, and do consulting on the side, both of which require me to conduct some graphic design. Although I am not a designer/artist by trade, I've found as our business and my consulting has grown I have needed to enhance my knowledge and skills in GD in order to "keep up". Although you can find work arounds, I would say that Illustrator is a great tool for anyone who works in the Graphic Design field, or even the periphery.

Pros:

For an experienced Adobe user, this is an easy software to pickup because it is structured in the same manner as the other Creative Cloud applications. Tools and layering is all the same which makes it easy to adapt too. The greatest individual/unique benefit is that it allows for A LOT more freedom for design than, namely, Adobe Photoshop. The reason I compare the two is that you could theoretically use them for similar static graphic design purposes and get relatively similar end results. However, Adobe allows for far more functionality and flexibility to create and design static imagery, and is far more tailored to true artwork than editing.

Cons:

Some of the functional tools are not as easy to manipulate in comparison to other Creative Cloud apps. Using Photoshop as a semi-comparable rival for static graphic design-specific purposes; for the application of manipulating objects and text, I found Illustrator to have a steeper learning curve than Photoshop. Since it allows you to delve into more aspects of manipulating the objects, and to create vector imagery out of anything (or just about) that you create within an ai document, I found myself inadvertently altering objects in ways I was unfamiliar with. To be fair, I did not take any formal coursework or tutorial prior to diving in to using Illustrator, all was self-taught after having more extensive experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.

Mark
Creative Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Steep steep learning curve, but you've got this

Comments: I think the previous two sections give you a good idea about my experience with Illustrator, but I can add that we would be lost without it in our toolbox. Making something that looks great and is able to be reproduced anywhere is crucial for us. Having the level of control you have in Illustrator is really unmatched. Cannot stress enough how important its role is in our agency's day to day work.

Pros:

Basically, once you get the hang of Illustrator and its many many features, you can create anything you want. We use it for logos, transit ads, charts, you name it. One of the best newer features is the "Library" panel. This works with most all of Adobe products, and what it does is let you load up your fonts, logos, photos, type, etc. for each client you're working on and it's all right there for easy access all the time. Granted, that's not enough to justify the high monthly cost to "subscribe" to illustrator, but it's one more thing they have added over the years that makes you understand why the price is higher than not. One thing you can say for sure with Illustrator is you're going to get stuck at some point, too. The good news is there are built in tutorials you can refer to for guidance. Or just jump on YouTube where someone has probably figured it out. Exporting to any file type you need is a breeze, and setting up multiple art boards in a file couldn't be easier. Once you're set, get to work and see what you can build.

Cons:

If you're on a budget, this is not your friend. The Adobe Creative Cloud does offer a lot, but you pay for all of that, too. I can't say I dislike the learning curve because I've been working with Illustrator for years. That said, if you're new, prepare to have your patience tried and your frustration to rise. That's ok, this gets easier, I promise.

Tom
Designer in UK
Graphic Design, 11–50 Employees

I could not do my job without Adobe Illustrator

Comments: Better synergy between colleagues and suppliers. Hugely improved design capabilities. Incredible integrations with other key Creative Suite programs.

Pros:

Adobe Illustrator is an industry staple for graphic design and rightly so. The vector capabilities, typographic options, and artboard flexibility make Illustrator tough to rival. Integrating well with other staples such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and Adobe After Effects mean that the full Adobe Creative Suite are vital to my every day work as a graphic, web & motion designer. Specific strengths of Adobe Illustrator are the clever 'anchor point' mechanics that make all shapes wonderfully flexible and the simplicity & flexibility of the UI. Options familiar from the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite such as blend modes, layers, distortion tools etc are all available making it quick to adopt for users of other Creative Suite tools. It's hard to find fault with Illustrator at all as a tool. I have been using it for well over a decade through various different versions and iterations and for several different purposes. each version improves on the functionality without upsetting the classic benefits of the system. A recent update included the incredibly useful 'Asset Export' tool which has helped streamline my web development process hugely.

Cons:

The two drawbacks that spring to mind with Illustrator are the cost and the size. As a powerful solution, Illustrator is naturally a large program. As a result, load times, even on higher end computers can be slow. Larger documents with multiple effects and raster graphics exacerbate this further but it's par of the course for the functionality required. Cost wise, I can't comment on Illustrator alone as it is usually retailed as part of the larger 'Creative Suite' or "Creative Cloud' packages. for the full suite (which is justifiably vast), the cost is on the higher side for subscription-based software. Illustrator can be purchased alone for but I can think of few users who would use Illustrator as a stand-alone product. All that said, Illustrator is an essential design tool and justifies both it's size and cost comfortably.

Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

A great product that has not adapted to the times.

Comments: For decades, Adobe Illustrator served me well. In the beginning, it was the best. But Corel Draw eventually eclipsed it in features and ease-of-use. But as the standard that I had learned to use well and had grown with, I still gravitated to AI, for most projects. But two things happened almost simultaneously that moved me away from AI. First, Adobe went exclusively to a subscription model, meaning that I would no longer OWN my software, if I upgraded. FYI, I'm still on CS6, which I OWN. I have not and will not rent software, because of the possibility of being locked out of my software at a critical time, when I need it most. The second reason is the release of Affinity Designer/Photo, which are the first fully functional products aimed at replacing Illustrator and Photoshop. Designer does virtually everything that Illustrator can do, does it for a whole lot less money, and I OWN IT. The only thing I have found that Affinity products won't do (yet), is pattern overlays in fx. But I'm sure that will be coming soon. I used to be an Adobe evangelist. But today, I have become an Affinity evangelist and I barely use my CS6 Adobe Suite that has been relegated to a VMware partition, with an old version of MacOS, that I only use for archive files. Adobe Illustrator used to be the standard and well deserved. That is no longer the case and also well deserved. They are over-priced, considering that other equivalent products now exist for a fraction of the cost.

Pros:

Adobe Illustrator was the standard for years, before there was competition in this market. Then, even after Corel Draw came along, which was a better (5-star) product, Adobe managed to remain the standard, by continuing to be at least a very good product (4-star). It seems that being the standard means you don't have to be the best, but you must be very good and Illustrator was just that - very good.

Cons:

Several features in Adobe Illustrator were poorly implemented. Though there were more than a few such issues, one that comes to mind is the ease of placing an image within another object, when using Corel Draw, as compared to the convoluted steps to do the same thing in AI. But Adobe Illustrator lost me as a user, when Adobe went to a subscription base. It's not an issue of money. I have been willing to pay large sums of money, for the full suite of Adobe graphic/photo design tools, including Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and the now discontinued Flash (ActiveScript). My concern is that I can't afford to be told that I can't use my software now, because my fully paid-up subscription can't be confirmed on the server. That's exactly what could happen, if a hacker penetrated Adobe's license server and deleted or changed all the license files. Any number of other scenarios could have similar results. That's why I OWN my software. Sure, a hacker could get into my system and cause damage. But I work behind two firewalls and I'm a very minor target for hackers. Adobe, by contrast, is so large that they're a prime target for hackers. They will be targeted by 10,000 hackers, before I'm attacked once. I'll take my chances with OWNED software on my system, rather than leave that security to a stranger, at a high-value target. Besides, I can now to everything with Affinity Designer that I used to do with AI. It also costs less and I OWN it. Bye AI.

Lead User Experience Engineer in US

Quite simply, I could not design software without Adobe Illustrator.

Comments: I need the ability to create high-fidelity mockups in my job as a UX designer. Without Illustrator, I couldn't do my job.

Pros:

Adobe Illustrator has been an evolving tool for so long that its checkered history is sometimes hard to remember. I was a die-hard Freehand user when Adobe acquired Macromedia, and I missed artboards to the point that I refused to use Illustrator. When they were added to the product in the CS3 or CS4 release, I reevaluated the tool, and I've used it almost daily since then. While nearly all of the Creative Suite/Creative Cloud applications have a steep learning curve, there is a multitude of videos and blogs and groups that can help you accomplish what you're trying to do in Illustrator. Because files are vectors, they're not nearly as large as Photoshop, making them ideal for use with high-res systems. Import of EPS, SVG, and other vectors is fantastic. Export to them and PDF is also great. Export for Screens is a great addition, making icon generation for iOS and Android excellent. The recent integration with Adobe XD gets me closer to a fantastic workflow in static wireframing to interactive prototyping than possible using other tools.

Cons:

The sheer complexity of Illustrator is only exceeded by Photoshop or Premier in the Creative Cloud suite. There are so many different ways of accomplishing nearly the same thing that the results can be meaningfully different at scale or when other effects are applied. Adobe Illustrator files can be imported into Sketch, but Illustrator cannot import Sketch files, which is problematic as I do not use a Mac and often receive Sketch assets, requiring me to find someone with a Mac to download a Sketch trial to convert to EPS or PDF so I can use the assets in Sketch. Adobe was late to getting its UI to support high-density displays on Windows, so older version were nearly impossible to use as the menu and toolbars were so tiny that they were almost illegible. While Adobe has made great strides in solving this, it still doesn't feel like the tool is ready for touch displays, rather ironic for a product named "Illustrator." Feature integration with the Microsoft Surface line of tools is nice, but not easily explained by the product. When I want to know what things it can do with my Surface Book, for example, I always have to hit up YouTube to find someone to explain it to me.

Rabie
designer in Morocco
Design, 51–200 Employees

The most effective program for producing vector graphics

Comments: There is a steep learning curve. Learning Illustrator was difficult for me as a self-taught designer because the two programs are so dissimilar. Although the tutorials are helpful, it is unrealistic to expect to create a design solely from them because it takes some time to get used to all the tools and functionalities. Since many of us don't need the entire Creative Suite and are only looking for a piece of software to whip up a quick design, which many other alternatives provide for free, pricing would be another issue, especially for freelancers and part-time designers.

Pros:

Adobe Illustrator is a ground-breaking piece of graphic design software that has completely changed how designers approach their work. It offers designers of all skill levels a wide variety of adaptable tools and a user-friendly interface. It is an effective tool for designing intricate illustrations, logos, and typography because of its control and precision, as well as the way it seamlessly integrates with other Adobe Creative Cloud applications. The extensive library of resources included with the software, which also includes pre-built shapes and brushes, tutorials, and online communities, offers plenty of assistance and inspiration. Adobe Illustrator is a crucial tool that takes artistic endeavors to new heights thanks to its consistent updates and dedication to innovation. For both professionals and hobbyists, highly recommended.

Cons:

It's really good software, but because of its complexity and limitations in photo editing compared to other professional programs like Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop Express, using it can be challenging for a beginner in that field.

krishan
krishan
Sr. Developer in India

Whenever I thought to create any vector, Adobe illustrator is my priority tool to develop any vector

Comments: I learnt a lot from adobe illustrator. It has become part of my life. I have created numerous designs using adobe illustratror. It give me idea of perspective. It gave me knowledge to enhance my graphics. It is the best software I have ever used for the purpose of graphic designing. I am earning my bread and butter using adobe illustratror. Thank you very much for adobe to develop such a nice software. I am using adobe illustrator in my organisation to create each design like logo design, pamphlet design, advertising design, card design etc. Everyone appreciate my work to create such nice designs, but I appreciate to illustrator to provide such nice functionality and tools to create these kind of designs.

Pros:

Adobe illustrator is a fine software with Rich set of tools and functionality. It is best suited to develop 2d vector images, 3d vector images, logos, icons with very sharp and deep edges. Due to producing finest quality of vector, Adobe illustrator has become my first choice to make any 2d or 3d vector design. There is variety of tools with ease of use them, which makes illustratror more adaptable to a user. I strongly recommend Adobe illustrator to web and print purpose graphics design. There are many other graphics tool available in the market but illustrator is something else it convert your imagination to reality in terms of graphics designing.

Cons:

If I thought for CONS, then it will be really very difficult for me. But I would definitely say that there should be a training forum started from adobe who will teach to others, and there should be some kind of contents also be organised. I know this is not a CONS for illustrator. But this is what I thought to be done, otherwise everything is fine.