Filter by:

• Overall

About Square for Retail

Whether you sell online or in store, Square for Retail can work for your retail business no matter your size or style.

Learn more about Square for Retail

Craig G.
Biz Dev in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees

Square is a great payment platform for retail stores.

5 3 years ago

Comments: This system works great for pop-ups and retail stores. You can also track what you sell and square sends you emails when you are low on products. We will continue to use Square

Pros:

How simple it is to set up. You know exactly how much you are being charged. There is no hidden extra add ons. Square updated the os, so now if your customer wants to return 1 item and they purchased two, you just pull up the item and hit return.

Cons:

Just make sure you do all the updates for square and os system for any pad you are using. We use an Ipad and it works great! Not much to not like.

Jackie J.
LMT in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Easy to use for all people

5 2 years ago

Comments: We need to be able to track which massage therapist saw which client, and with the notes section, we are able to do so with ease. We can also track commission on products that way making sure no transaction gets left behind. We also use square for our payroll. Having it all linked to one account is great!

Pros:

Square was very easy to navigate. It has many options to customize the software to fit any business’s needs. You can write a custom note about each transaction, making it easy to review the register at the end of the day.

Cons:

I haven’t ran into any problems with the software. As a massage & wellness center, we often do events and need to take our ‘cash register’ with us. Square makes it easy using the same credit card reader for in house transactions or cell phones on the go. It is all tracked the same way.

Lynn F.
President / C.E.O. in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Square for Retail is the easiest I have ever used.

5 3 years ago

Comments: This product is perfect for my needs. Works exactly as described on their website and support (if needed) is immediate and complete. Use with confidence.

Pros:

Very easy to use. Quick email confirmation / almost instant at times. Fast turn around when actually getting the money into my bank account. I use it A LOT for credit card purchases over the phone (no card present). Yes, the fees are about .5% higher but always very FAST and very Reliable.

Cons:

Nothing. I only use the remote card swiper when at a seminar or speaking engagement.

Owner in US

Great POS for Small Business

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall we are pleased with Square and its features. We would like to see Square integrate better with other platforms.

Pros:

Square is great for small business it allows the merchant to just pay a fee when a card is swiped rather than a monthly service fee and the percentage charged for swiping a card. They do have an inventory tracking system which is great if that is the only platform you use for inventory. You also get the benefit of free hardware if you choose not to purchase the Square POS system. Square deposits are quick, no holding funds for long periods of time like PayPal. Overall Square is very versatile and we have been very happy with it.

Cons:

The inventory tracking system is cumbersome and doesn't work nicely with QBO or Shopify. It cannot sync with our Shopify store which ultimately means we have to keep both platforms updated which is a real pain.

Owner in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Easy to accept payments on the go and fantastic integration

5 2 years ago

Comments: I can charge for my uploaded products from Etsy (which love updates), or enter a specific dollar amount when charging a different price or charging for a product that hasn’t been listed online in my store. I get paid in a reasonable amount of time and it easily integrates with the rest of my shop for recording keeping.

Pros:

Along with the square credit card reader, I’m easily able to accept payments from my customers in person. I love that this is integrated with my Etsy shop. I’m easily able to charge for specific products, update my inventory when making a sale, and still keep track of the transaction inside my Etsy account.

Cons:

The only thing I don’t particularly like is the up charge for accessing funds immediately, but I can usually wait the couple of days to get paid and it’s not a big deal.

Alexandra W.
Alexandra W.
Graphic Designer in US
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Square for Retail Review

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, my experience with Square has been AWESOME. it's easy to use and you can take it with you everywhere, to any events where you may be selling art and design work. I love how functional and slim it is, and how it reads most cards.

Pros:

What I like most about Square is that its easily portable so you'll always have the opportunity to make money regardless where you are, as long as you have the device to hook up to you iPad, phone, or computer. It's an awesome invention, especially if you travel for work (like artists who go on tours or go to events where they sell their art). It's design is small and the software doesn't take to long to download.

Cons:

What I like least about this software is that it freezes up on me a couple times and I had to restart my actual phone and iPad in order for it to work properly. I'm not sure why it does it, still haven't figured it out.

Elizabeth W.
Service Manager in US
Insurance, 10,000+ Employees

Great for small business!

5 2 years ago

Comments: This is the best thing you could ever use for small business accounting.

Pros:

I run a small craft fair booth on the weekends during the holiday season. This system made it SO easy to keep track of what sold. Not only can you put in the items and prices, you can also organize those items by seller. My aunt and grandma also sell at my booth, so when we have three people selling it's almost impossible to keep track. At the end of the day, this shows a dollar amount for each seller. It's amazing and a small business godsend.

Cons:

It took me a few minutes of playing around to actually figure out how to make everything work the way I wanted.

Candace S.
Chiropractor in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Great for small business

5 last year

Comments: The Square has been an easy to use app. There is no start-up cost but there is a 3% fee for each charge. This is very normal when it comes to credit card running fee's. I chose the square over a credit card reader because there was no start-up cost. It is also very small and portable, it can fit in my pocket so I can take it anywhere I go. The second someone needs to run their card I just snap in the square, type in the total, and swipe the card. It offers them digital receipts through email or text. The square also sends me daily and weekly reports. It breaks down my totals for each day and shows graphs on my growth. I highly recommend this product.

Pros:

This app is quick and easy to use. Took a total of 3 minutes to download it and get it linked up to my account. When I have a customer ready to pay, I just snap in the square, type in the total to charge, and swipe the card. SO EASY!

Cons:

Currently I have no complaints about the Square. I have been using the Square for about 2 months with no issues.

Assistant Manager in US
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees

A MUST For Any Small Business

5 last year

Comments: Great experience overall, perfect for just about any small business.

Pros:

Simple, easy to use, and affordable credit card processing! Cheaper than any alternative, and we can take almost any form of payment now.

Cons:

If you don't use the card reader for the transaction, the fee is higher, but that is to be expected. Just use the free card reader, or upgrade to a nicer one.

Amber D.
Amber D.
Professional Makeup Artist in US
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed

So convenient to take card payments anywhere, anytime

5 3 years ago

Pros:

It's great that I am able to take card payments for my services by just plugging this little device into my phone. It has saved me so many times from having someone not be able to pay me since they don't have sufficient cash on hand. Also, I love that it stores the users information, so once you have made a payment on square it will always send your emailed receipt automatically without having to reenter all of your info.

Cons:

No complaints! It's very handy to have. I guess I would prefer less commission to be taken, but I guess thats always a given!

Olga T.
Accountant in US
Automotive, 2-10 Employees

Good choice if you have no other choice

4 2 years ago

Comments: We are able to process payments with credit cards in the mobile business.

Pros:

We provide the mobile auto glass service not only to big dealerships and body shops but to regular customers as well, we have to have an app to process an app/equipment that will allow them to pay with credit cards. And Square does this job well most of the time.

Cons:

First of all -the fees, even though they are reasonable. but nobody likes fees, right. Second, there's almost always an issue with syncing Square with QuickBooks, the app needs some additional work to be done.

Pam P.
owner in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees

there are a host of things I'd love changed, customer support really listens to my issues

4 4 years ago

Pros:

there are lots of back office functions that I appreciate, like the ability to see remaining stock.

Cons:

its not very pretty, especially when compared side by side with the regular app. its kind of dark. there are also many functions it needs, like the ability to do an exchange (bought a large, need a medium for example, or just return something within a new sale rather than a whole separate transaction) and to be able to check stock at another location (which would save me about 100 phone calls a week in peak season)

Aaron O.
Controller in US
Legal Services, 51-200 Employees

Great for taking credit card payments!

5 9 months ago

Comments: Square has been a great partner for taking our business to the next level being able to taking credit cards easily. Now with covid and working remote I started invoicing clients which has transformed the way we use the software. Now I send emails and people pay with a link, amazing!

Pros:

Square is easy to use and you get money fast. Lots of options for taking payments. Good desktop dashboard for all your transactions and any open items. Mobile app too.

Cons:

I can't say I've had any major issues other than needing to reboot or download an update here or there. Pretty quick and easy to set everything and everyone up.

Rho L.
Creative Director in US

The best option for all small businesses

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Without question the simplest point of sale software I've ever encountered. The hardware is easy to set up the software is so easy and convenient and it works like a charm every time. No hangups no glitches no problems.

Cons:

I have no conscience whatsoever. My only advice would be to make sure that your business is making more than the monthly fee or else I would recommend not going with square retail and just going with square up. Otherwise it's awesome.

Jeff K.
Jeff K.
Therapist in US
Mental Health Care, Self Employed

Great for small business

5 2 years ago

Comments: I use this to invoice clients for services or have them pay for services provided. It's quick and easy to use. The price is reasonable and standard for this service.

Pros:

The apps is easy to use and makes collecting payment for service fast and easy. I also use it to send invoices to clients as well as collecting payment at the time of service. It's easy to use with or without the card reader. Their support team is fantastic as well. When I've had to get in touch with them I got help quick and without hassle.

Cons:

I've really had no issues with the software. It's intuitive and helpful to use with great support. Great software.

Rebecca K.
Rebecca K.
Director of Sales in US
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Square for Retail is SO simple anyone can use it!

5 2 years ago

Pros:

I love the ease/functionality of this software! I used square as a retail sales director at a high end boutique and always found the program extremely user friendly. All my sales associates learned the basics of the software within minutes of being introduced to it, making my job easier.

Cons:

I have been extremely satisfied with Square software and products and will continue to refer them to friends and business associates.

Director Of Operations in US
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

Best simple retail tool

4 4 years ago

Comments: Retail/ POS

Pros:

It is probably the most user-friendly software on the market for both the retailer and the customer.

Cons:

With the simplicity comes the downfall of not always having the best uses to connect with accounting software or inventory options.

Laura S.
Permanent makeup artist in Canada
Cosmetics, Self Employed

Best Payment Processing Device for a Small Business

5 2 years ago

Pros:

Square is the best option on the market for a small business to process card payments. Square is easy to use and processes payments seamlessly and securely. The selling point for me is the fact that square is easily recognizable to consumers which helps them feel more secure when completing a transaction with a small business.

Cons:

The fee for square starts at 2.75% of all purchases made through the software, they also charge additional fees for stands and chip reading devices. While this does not affect customers, it does make a difference for small business especially when there are high operation costs involved in the price of sales. It would be nice to have a flat rate subscription available.

Tazlyn G.
Ceo in US

Gift from god

5 3 years ago

Pros:

This makes selling products on the go so easy and doable anyone can do it or use the software

Cons:

The software has no flaws that I’ve seen I just worry to lose the square it self

Andrew L.
Lighting in US
Music, Self Employed

Great and easy electronic payment

5 11 months ago

Comments: Its great! I really enjoy being able to use this wherever and whenever.

Pros:

The super cheap and easy to use interface is awesome. Being able to carry a card reader at all times has improved the way I take deposits for gear rentals.

Cons:

I dont have any problems with the software. I havent experienced any bugs or something that would make me debate switching.

Michael C.
Attorney in US
Law Practice, Self Employed

Square works for me!

4 last year

Comments: I've been using Square now for several years after switching from other credit card processing solutions. During this time, I have not had any problems and always receive my funds without incident and on time. Much superior to PayPal in my opinion and I have pretty much stopped using that service.

Pros:

The spartan software is easy to use and mostly self-explanatory. Basic functionality is free on mobile devices or the internet. Includes a handy invoice generator that looks pretty professional.

Cons:

The optional add on devices (such as the terminals) seem pricey to me, which has kept me from ordering them. Processing fees are average.

Nicole B.
Customer Service Rep in US
Retail, 11-50 Employees

An App perfect for small businesses!

5 2 years ago

Comments: Square is amazing! It makes transactions on the go so much easier. From doing a brick and mortar store, to selling merch at a local Metal show on the side!

Pros:

I liked how easy it was to use, how I could look back at previous transactions and keep track of the monthly profits, I love that it comes with a square reader to make brick and mortar transactions easy to use, I loved the capability to email customers their receipts, and most of all how the fees to use this service were fairly low!

Cons:

I didn’t like that if I had to manually input a credit card number that it was an extra charge. It was also frustrating when the reader would not work at times with perfectly condition credit cards.

David e D.
David e D.
Manager in US

Truly no hidden fees

5 2 years ago

Comments: Its been amazing not to have to worry about how much extra we will have to pay them each month. Clear and transparent transactions

Pros:

You know what you're paying on every transaction, no need to go monthly through the statement trying to figure out where the hidden fees are popping up, no minimum number of transactions, just great.

Cons:

I believe the new equipment could be free (chip reader) but this is just a rant! Nothing not to like about them.

Canada
Higher Education, Self Employed

Great for small businesses

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Square for Retail really shines when it comes to onboarding new employees by being very user-friendly.

Cons:

I found myself looking for some features that I thought would be there that just weren't in the end, like mobile notifications.

Kris G.
Kris G.
Counter Sales in US

Easy to use

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Compact, can be carried anywhere. Easy to install and use. Can accept payments anytime at any location.

Cons:

Need wifi or cell service to use for transactions. If low or no signal, payment will not go through. Occasionally payment will be rejected due to type of card used.