ShopKeep Reviews

by ShopKeep By Lightspeed

• Overall
    3.4 /5
    3.8 /5
    3.2 /5

About ShopKeep

ShopKeep By Lightspeed exists to give independent business owners the tools they need to thrive in the modern world.

Learn more about ShopKeep

Ryan M.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2019

"System freezes and quickbooks integration doesn't work from day 1"

Comments: Customer service hold times are long, no results. Will probably switch to a competitor.

Pros: I like the layout and functionality when it is working.

Cons: Cannot customize easily. Non cash gratuities feature is great but when you do a payout for tips this amount should decrease but it doesn't. Quickbooks integration doesn't work from day one. Customer service promises results that don't go anywhere. You cannot get a supervisor on the phone, they must submit a calendar invite (still waiting for this). Paying full price for a partially functional system.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2019
Darin S.
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Choose Shopkeep for Concern, Response and Continued Improvement!"

Comments: Overall I have been very happy with Shopkeep. After using it a year I migrated to Square for Retail thinking it would give me everything I needed (in-store and mobile option) in one system. It was a horrible experience for me (unable to print labels from within the app, had to create my own sku system, inventory didn't provide detail I needed) and I RAN AS FAST AS I COULD back to Shopkeep!

Pros: Easy to use, intuitive, flexible, the product has continued to improve and evolve in the 4.5 years I've been using it. 24 hr. assistance

Cons: I wish there was a way to download Inventory by supplier or category. The ability to download and print or at least just print more reports would be helpful. Becoming increasingly difficult to get assistance in a timely manner without carrying the premium pay level of service. I occasionally do off-site events such as as festivals, and have group events where I need to ring up wine purchases. Unfortunately these don't occur frequently enough to justify paying a monthly fee for a second register so for those types of things we have to use the Square App and then manually adjust inventory.

Alaina G.

"Great Product"

Comments: I have loved this system since I got it at the beginning of 2019. The customer service is AWESOME. The credit card rates are great. Great reporting tools and the app is so handy.

Pros: The price and features were exactly what I was looking for. The credit card rates are unbeatable.

Cons: There are a few things in the inventory management area that I would change to take less “steps” to accomplish certain tasks but all in all it has all of the features I need to manage my inventory.

James J.
Owner Operator
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"Ease of Use Front End and Back End"

Comments: Over all I am very happy with Shopkeep. We have 3 registers in a diverse small resort business with a Restaurant, Gas Station, C Store, Bar, Package Liquor, Lodge, Campground etc... We are able to adapt the system to work in all areas by setting up different pages for different areas of the business or used in combination as the transaction categories are available on all 3 registers whether being used at the bar, in the restaurant or at the lodge & c store. Customer Service has been great. Set up was done by myself which says just about anyone can do it.

Pros: Easy Set Up and functionality. Training employees on system is relatively simple and repetition is all it takes after the initial introduction. Changes to item/ menu in the back office are drag & drop which makes an easy quick process to adapting to changing environments. The equipment integration is great. I can do work and/or monitor the system from remote locations in the back office if I happen to be away from the property. Credit card processing/ tracking and reports are easy to work with. Report resources are almost endless and you can pretty much find what you need in the reports availabe.

Cons: I do not like the Discarded Item feature. It opens up to theft of items or cash payment of items set at zero default price with price on modifiers and does not track the Items themselves. There is no manager permission option for discarded items or at the very least an explanation/ reason code option. I would rather have it set up like the
Void Option or not exist. Tracking the Item and the item price and/or modifier price with reason codes and manager permission options would be great for the discarded item feature. It would be nice to have a few more payment options such as ATM (currently use Pay Out and note ATM then ring the transaction with the cash) The ability to over tender a check for tipping would be a great feature. We still have a few patrons who write checks.

Pam W.

"Huge Time Saver"

Comments: As stated above, it saves me a lot of time and manual entry. It has given me a better picture of my business analytically.
It tracks inventory, which I had always done a physical inventory with an excel spreadsheet. I love that I know immediately what my inventory amount is.

Pros: It automated the majority of my processes. I currently have 25+ local artists. Before ShopKeep, I manually calculated their total sales by peeling off and saving their tags. I love being able to see at any moment where I'm at with our consignment.
I also love that I can see a snapshot of my business at any point. I like seeing average sales, top selling items, total sales tax due.
Saves me so much time and paper!

Cons: Our clover is not the most reliable. Whenever I've had a problem, it's been related to the all-in-one
Clover. I usually have to unplug it and plug it back in and let it reboot - not the most beneficial while a line of customers are waiting to check out.
When it works - I love it! When it doesn't, it's very frustrating!

Genia V.

"Great program"

Comments: As our first leap into an Ipad based point of sale, I have been pleased. There are always learning curves and we seem to get them solved every time.

Pros: I like how user friendly the software is as well as affordable it is to set up! The technical support is so easy to use and is always quick to respond!

Cons: We honestly have had some connectivity issues and Shopkeep has always been there trying to help. There are some features I would like to see like bigger print on the tags and the option to do a partial return. I would also like to be able to send an email receipt after the sale has been completed. A current running inventory by department or supplier would be helpful as well.

Lori B.
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Great Small Business Register Tool"

Comments: For the most part it has worked well for us. I am having a difficult time in keeping files straight within quickbooks as I have desktop and it does not sync.

Pros: Easy set up, use and online access to sales information through online portal. Easy to use for employees.

Cons: I wish I could also make sales online through the portal for remote access and manual card entry.

Jennifer F.
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2019

"shop keep helps my store run more efficiently"

Comments: super helpful with inventory, scanning and barcode options make life easier

Pros: Ease of use, detail available in programming categories & inventory, low cost

Cons: wont accept some barcodes that are on products I sell. I travel for business events occasionally. I wish I could access register app mobily to sell merchandise and have it work with my live inventory. It is not worth paying for it monthly but it would be helpful.

Davis W.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Winstead’s review of ShopKeep"

Comments: Shopkeep makes keeping up with inventory and sales a no brainer!

Pros: Shopkeep setup is easy and using Shopkeep is intuitive. Really not much of a learning curve. Customer service is readily available, courteous, and efficient.

Cons: No real negatives. When I first set up the online commerce and gift cards were at an additional cost. Now they are integrated into the basic package. Just now learning to use those integrations.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Jillian G.
Director of Administration & Finance
Museums & Institutions, 51-200 Employees

"Definitely Recommend"

Comments: We have a very easy time training employees on the system. We have a very easy time uploading inventory. There is not much that we haven't found to be easy and intuitive and that is our favorite part.

Pros: The ease of use along with the value cannot be understated. We have never had a moment of downtime with Shopkeep in over 2 years. The system is incredibly intuitive and the customer service is top notch.

Cons: We are a museum and we have created a workaround to print tickets in the system. The tickets look similar to fast food kitchen tickets. I wish we could customize these. I am also disappointed that we cannot run reports that show the discount name that was applied to the item and/or transaction. You can run discount reports, but it's not as transactionally detailed as we could use.

Cory M.
Sports, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2019

"Why only 999?"

Comments: I really do like it and would recommend it.

Pros: I like how easy it is to use. I wouldn't say it's something my parents could operate, but it's pretty easy. I personally like it and it's easy to train employees on. They usually have a solid grasp of how to operate it within the first hour.

Cons: When creating a sale, let's say I want to sell 13000 of one item, why must I create 13 lines of 999? I would really like for that number cap to either be increased or have no ceiling. Also, I hate having to create items with raw goods. It's a major pain to say the least. It would be great to create the Raw Good from the parent item if possible. Other than that, it's great. Those are the only 2 things that bug me. Also, I would switch to Advanced if the Loyalty rewards program was inside Shopkeep instead of logging out to another program and entering phone numbers... Seems like a "workaround" solution thrown together and it would make a customer wait too long.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2019
Juan C.
Co-owner
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2019

"I'm definitely a fan, but..."

Comments: As I noted in the title of this review, "I'm definitely a fan, but..." The issues noted in the Cons section are real and they have a cost in goodwill and in real dollars. I just wish we could figure out how to minimize their occurances.

Pros: Being able to step in as a new owner to a business that had already been running ShopKeep and having the migration to our new account work almost seamlessly was ABSOLUTELY great! The pre-sales and support staff were fantastic. Once on ShopKeep, being new to it was no big issue as well. Learning it was easy and intuitive. Bottom line: when ShopKeep is running OK it's great and when something goes the way of a hiccup - either large or small - the SK technical support people are very knowledgeable, always helpful and patient until we have a resolution.

Cons: Where I'm not a fan is the multitude of ways in which there can be "hiccups" of all types connectivity and simple functioning of card readers, scanners, printers, and cash drawers. These issues are sporadic, unexpected and always a hassle to resolve while customers are standing there. Devices drop connectivity intermittently or altogether or they simply stop working or whatever. Then, we have to goes thru multiple steps trying to figure it out on our own before calling SK tech support. The software hasn't let us down from what I've seen but the integration with peripheral devices - all authorized or purchased thru SK - is problematic in the extreme at times.

• Reviewed on 26/10/2019
Lyndsay M.
  • Reviewed on 20/06/2019

"Great for the most part"

Comments: I honestly do not fully utilize the program and I should, but for what I do use it for it has been pretty great.

Pros: It is pretty easy to use. It is nice to have a system that you can have items in there that do not have barcodes. The quick button layout is handy for small, frequent purchases.

Cons: You cannot do a return and a purchase in the same transaction. When sending in the employee hours from the time clock, you used to be able to add on hours that have not been worked yet and cannot anymore. Sometimes if the first of the month is on a Saturday or Sunday I pay my employees on the Friday and cannot add their shifts that have not happened yet. This might sound crazy to pay someone before they have worked but I trust my employees:)

Heidi D.
Owner/Operator
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

"ShopKeep Software Review"

Comments: Employees are able to navigate quickly which keeps our line moving along.

Pros: This software is easy to program and easy to navigate.

Cons: What I like least about ShopKeep is that we have to "save" a table letter, go to checks to retrieve the ticket, then cash out the customer. Wish we could apply the table letter without all that. Also, if you have a party of three, let's say, and the first customer in the party adds something at the end of the order, it would be nice to go back and add that item to the first customer's order on the ticket.

Rich W.
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2019

"Worst business we have ever dealt with"

Comments: (ran out of room above) 9) No ability to reopen a closed check and adjust payment to tip if there was a mistake 10) Servers have the ability to refund transactions without permission (security breach) 11) Reports don't calculate cash due. That is just what I can think of right now... We are highly experienced with technology and have followed every instruction they have given to us. While some reps seem very professional and nice this service is not ready for market by a long shot. Maybe if you have a cupcake shop and do $200 a day, but I doubt it.

Pros: Seemed to be just what we are looking for

Cons: Do not know where to begin. We have a restaurant doing 2 million a year. Moved from an old Pinnacle System to shopkeep. This is what we have found. 1) Employees can only log in with one code. If the dishwasher is going to run food, forget it you better figure out a way to keep track of the difference in pay. 2) No ability for servers to claim tips (specifically cash tips). You will need to go back to old school pen and paper. 3) Tips often cannot be processed and we have to email receipts to get the tips credited, however we have yet to see a credit. They promise 10-14 days, it had been 34. Plus they have still not fixed the problem. 4) Nightly close our, nightly email, next day backoffice report and amount credited to our account has never matched, often off bu $700. Which is the correct number, we still do not know. 5) They blame many things on network and internet problems. Said we cannot have other devices running on network! Because of our investment in this we had new, separate dedicated fiber optic installed within 10 feet of the iPads and clovers and there was no difference in the problems. 6) Newest problem is customers are being charged twice and calling in and complaining. They have no idea why this is happening as there is no way for a server or manager to do it. They say it must just be a network problem. 7) No ability to use position points or seat numbers 8) No ability to denote apps first and fire entrees later (no coursing)

by ShopKeep on 21/06/2019

Hi Rich,
Thank you for leaving feedback no your experience using ShopKeep. We attempted to reach out to you via phone and email yesterday and will do so again today.
The ShopKeep Team

• Reviewed on 19/06/2019
Noel N.
COO
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2017

"They sold products they haven't finished the programming on and do not work"

Comments: Shopkeep has been responsive, but:
1. Shopkeep encourages you to set up your items using in the form of "Variant" on their training videos, but then neglect to tell you that those items will not ever print on the ticket printer they sold you until you do a deep dive into their online library.
2. Shopkeep uses www.BigCommerce.com to set you up with an on-line e-commerce capacity. However, from May 29th through June 19th or so hundreds of use were unable to connect and use our E-commerce accounts because of a programming issue (like in #1) that they just weren't smart enough to handle promptly.
When I asked for a refund on the $295 unusable printer...here was the response: Allen (6/22/2017, 3:14:45 PM): Thank you for contacting ShopKeep support! Give me a moment to pull up your account.
Allen (6/22/2017, 3:15:39 PM): Hi Noel! It'll take me a minute to look into this, I'll get you an answer ASAP
Me (6/22/2017, 3:15:50 PM): Thank you
Allen (6/22/2017, 3:28:41 PM): Hey Noel, I'm still working with people on this. I haven't forgotten about you
Allen (6/22/2017, 3:34:03 PM): Alright. I spoke with some of the supervisors, your sales rep, and your ShopKeep Expert. Greg confirmed that he recommended modifiers, not variants. Jeff confirmed that he didn't say that variants would work with a ticket printer. Given that the printer is more than 30 days from the date of purchase, we will not be accepting it back, per the policies laid out here: https://shop.shopkeep.com/returns
Allen (6/22/2017, 3:35:03 PM): You do still have an hour with your ShopKeep Expert, Jeff, who would be more than willing to assist with transitioning to items with modifiers, and who can explain more about the printer's capabilities. There's an hour left, which would be 2 30 minute appointments.
Me (6/22/2017, 3:39:23 PM): This is Theft!!! Of course he never said it would work. He never mentioned it. It is the SHOPKEEP system that is set up to suggest and recommend use of variants when you complete your set up. If you will not refund then I will consider myself wronged and review accordingly.
Allen (6/22/2017, 3:43:44 PM): Noel, this is not theft. Neither the sales rep nor the SKE suggested using variants for food, because they will not print to the ticket printer. The support article clearly states that variant items will not print to a ticket printer. http://www.shopkeep.com/support/inventory-management/adding-an-item-with-variants
Allen (6/22/2017, 3:44:22 PM): Your printer will print food items with modifiers, and is intended to be set up that way.
Me (6/22/2017, 3:58:46 PM): THAT ARTICLE IS CLEAR AND ONLY AFTER I SPOKE WITH LAYLA LAST WEEK WAS I MADE AWARE OF THAT ARTICLE!!!!
Me (6/22/2017, 3:59:31 PM): NEVER EVER BEFORE TODAY HAS ANYONE EVEN MENTIONED SUCH A THING AS MODIFIERS. RIGHT FROM THE START THE SYSTEM GUIDES YOU TO USE VARIANTS!!
Allen (6/22/2017, 4:00:31 PM): Noel, Greg and Jeff both suggested modifiers, as did Ryan. The support articles were sent to you in an email before your first appointment with Jeff.
Me (6/22/2017, 4:01:20 PM): NO. SENDING SOMETHING AMID A MIX OF INFO IN AN EMAIL IS NOT NOTIFICATION; IF THAT WAS DONE, TO MAKE ANY ONE AWARE THEY SHOULD NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF THE SHOP KEEP SYSTEM DURING SET UP.
Allen (6/22/2017, 4:06:15 PM): I'm sorry that you feel like the information wasn't clear enough. Transitioning your items to modifiers will allow the printer to print tickets for those food items. As we've stated, Jeff can help you with that during an appointment. You still have an hour of time with him available.

Pros: Available to talk to via chat at extended hours...though you wait a long time between sentences and better not have a client come in needing attention because then you will get dropped and or distracted and have to start over.

Cons: They proudly suggest you set up your store using the updates to their program (variations under each item), but then neglect to tell their staff, much less the client, that they didn't finish the programming and your ticket printer won't print ANY of these items.

by Catherine on 27/06/2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are actively trying to reach you in hopes that we can address some of your concerns. We will continue to reach out to you but feel free to contact us directly by responding directly to the most recent email we sent you.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2017
Tamera P.

"Bella review"

Comments: number tracking is key for growth, shopkeep does a good job with that

Pros: ease of use for staff, flexibility when things go awry.

Cons: Lots of changes...kinda constant. feels like we are always changing something - sometimes we can't keep up with it all. also, i've been thru a lot of hardware - especially the credit card machine. please upgrade the icmp to accept larger / thick / heavier cards (the latest hiccup). also, the APPcard switch over feels like a bait / switch. I was an app card user from the get go and now cannot use your loyalty system without losing my customer base that i've built. not very professional.
t

Angelique S.
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2019

"Recommend ShopKeep"

Comments: My overall experience with ShopKeep has been great, and they have amazing customer service.

Pros: I like the software as it is simple and easy to use. It can pickup when you misspell an item and bring it up, is absolutely an upgrade for us.

Cons: Inventory that comes in case that is sold individually is what I like least about this software. Wish there was easy way to break down to sale as case or individually.

• Reviewed on 03/10/2019
Manon W.

"Excellent software"

Comments: I really enjoy using Shopkeep, I love seeing all my inventory, my sales, the busiest hours, purchases of my customers, ...

Pros: The software is very easy to use and to explain to new employees.

Cons: The software does not link with Quickbooks Canada.

Matt S.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2019

"ShopKeep review"

Comments: I really like the mobile feature, let's keep up with operational details even when I am not in front of my computer. I was one of SK's first customers in 2013.....I left after 2 years b/c they were not updating SW fast enough. I came back in 2016 and have been happier.

Pros: Easy to add items, change prices, etc.
Intuitive software
ShopKeep payments are fairly priced

Cons: The "tip" function punishes employees. Transaction flow with the intro of chip cards is not conducive for customers to leave a tip in a quick serve/retail setting.
Their dependence on outside HW/SW for credit card processing leaves them vulnerable to outages and poorly made equipment.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2019
Evelyn-jean K.
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2019

"Excellent Software"

Pros: I love this software. It is easy to use and lets me see how my retail store operates when I am not around. It integrates easily with my accounting software. Great customer support

Cons: St this time I do not have any complaints

• Reviewed on 29/10/2019
Julie C.
Art & Media Specialist
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/01/2020

"Great Product for a Small Business"

Comments: Overall, this solved all of the small business needs that we had. Easy to use and lots of ways to keep track of information

Pros: I used this app everyday at my previous job. It made things so easy to check out in the small business. It keeps great records and there are lots of options for running reports. There are also lots of ways to integrate the information into other apps.

Cons: We only every had a few problems and it was always connected to times when we also had problems connecting to the internet. You do need to have an internet connection to use the app.

• Reviewed on 25/01/2020
Jessica G.
Self-Employed
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2020

"Shopkeep - Priced Out of our Budget"

Comments: We really enjoyed using Shopkeep. We liked how they handled issues with the system, if you logged on to the website it immediately told you the timeframe for getting any issue resolved and allowed you to sign up for updates.

Pros: We really thought that shopkeep was easy to use. We enjoyed the backend process, the ability to run different reports, and the layout.

Cons: There were a couple features that were missing from other softwares/programs but it was never enough incentive to switch, within 3 years of using Shopkeep the price doubled and literally forced us to find another company to use.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2020
Shelly Y.
  • Reviewed on 20/06/2019

"family owned business that uses this everyday"

Comments: I feel like its helping our employees to ring every sale up correctly, no over or under charges.

Pros: we love the way the POS is setup. very easy to train new staff, they usually have it figured out within a day or so. The back office is also helpful with inventory and tracking, we are still figuring out all the features because there are so many.

Cons: I may be missing something but I wish there was a way to enter multiple inventory items at a time. Doing them one at a time is very tedious and time consuming.

Ui suk B.
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2019

"Great Product, Highly Recommend"

Pros: I like how simple the service is and good rates compared to other competitors like square.

Cons: I wish clients could text their receipts to their phone.